Social housing in East Anglia
Birketts LLP in Norwich handles affordable housing development, planning, housing management, funding, employment, regulatory matters, shared ownership and Right to Buy sales, as well as open market sales, for a stellar list of for many registered providers (RP) of social housing. From grant funding applications to contentious matters, it handles the full range of work. Peter Goddard leads the practice, in which partner John Scannell handles the firm's housing management litigation service. Senior associate Emily Groom and associate Sarah Fish play key roles in finance and development work for housing associations.
‘I have been liaising with Ian Rattenbury on a possession case that my organisation have been pursuing. Ian has been informative and amenable throughout. I do not have a legal background and Ian communicates and explains in a way that helps me to understand the process and details of our case. He is always prompt with answering any queries and has been really supportive of the witnesses involved in the case.‘
Flagship Housing Group Limited (Victory Housing Trust)
Broadland Housing Group Limited
CHP (Chelmer Housing Partnership Limited)
London & Quadrant Housing Trust
Swan Housing Association Limited
Cambridge Housing Society Limited
Axiom Housing Association Limited
Havebury Housing Partnership
Iceni Homes Limited
Greenfields Community Housing Limited
B3 Living Limited
Suffolk Housing Society
- Acting for Orbit on a £1.75m deal for a 100% Affordable Housing Scheme in Suffolk.
- Advising Broadland on lease and management arrangements for Local Housing Company owned dwellings in a Regeneration Area.
- Acting for Iceni Homes on the exit of Suffolk Housing from the Iceni Homes Joint Venture.
'The team is very dedicated to its clients' and practice head Estelle Corner 'always goes the extra mile', remarks a client of Spire Solicitors LLP in Norwich. The dedicated social housing practice handles all aspects of non-contentious property work, as well as housing management, corporate and employment matters. During 2019, the team exchanged contracts on property deals that will deliver some 600 affordable and market homes in the East of England. Associate Katharine Chatters is recommended for property transactions for social housing and local authority clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The social housing team is small which brings a uniqueness to the organisation, due to us always being able to deal with the same person. The team is very dedicated to its clients and the lawyers put the time in where needed. They give a very personable service which we rate over other qualities.‘
‘Estelle Corner always goes the extra mile. She also understands us as clients and our objectives, she gives advice based on past experiences and her knowledge. We have some very in complicated partnerships that Estelle has helped set up, she has always acted in our best interests but remained a level of fairness so our partnership relationships are maintained.‘
- Acted for a large housing association on the acquisition of 80 affordable homes on a s106 scheme with a conditional contract and completion across seven phases. Now instructed on the shared ownership sales.
- Acting on land acquisition and option agreement for developer for a 50-unit scheme of open market and affordable housing.
- Instructed by a client on a land acquisition and joint venture arrangement with a major housebuilder for a 300 mixed tenure housing scheme.
Buckles Solicitors LLP in Peterborough, which climbs the ranking this year, is the preferred legal services provider for numerous social housing providers, which call on its for advice on housing management, anti-social behaviour and construction matters. Firm-wide, it acts for more than 65 social housing providers across the Home Counties, London, East Anglia and the East Midlands. Head of social housing Gail Sykes, who works closely with the Nottingham-based construction practice, deals with housing litigation and housing management law, and is an experienced advocate in court proceedings.
Cross Keys Homes Ltd
Hundred Houses Society
The CHS Group
Longhurst Group/Blue Sky Consortium
Cambridge Cottage Housing Society
Bedford Citizens Housing Association
Innisfree Housing Association
Saffron Housing Trust
Freebridge Community Housing Ltd
- Advising a housing association in relation to the redevelopment of land in Cambridge, and in particular obtaining vacant possession of approximately 20 properties required for redevelopment/demolition and let under a number of different tenures.
- Obtaining emergency, without notice, cross injunctions against both parties in a violent neighbour dispute and subsequently possession proceedings brought and possession obtained against one of the parties following breach of injunction.
- Representing client in relation to numerous disrepair claims brought against them by claims farmers.
Howes Percival LLP has a multi-disciplinary social housing team that has strength and depth in property transactions, development work and contentious matters. the firm has a strong following across East Anglia, having advised on numerous golden brick agreements, development purchases and site assembly matters. Housing management specialist Simon Murphy in Cambridge leads the practice, which calls upon property development partner Michaela Henson. In Norwich, property litigator Jamie Kidd and new hire from Leathes Prior Christopher Cubitt, who is a commercial property partner, also act for RPs.
Hundred Housing Society Limited
The Papworth Trust
Flagship Housing Limited
East Cambs Trading Company Limited
Corus Homes Limited
Accent Housing Limited
- Acting for East Cambs Trading Company Limited – Developer for East Cambridgeshire District Council providing affordable houses – in the purchase of a site for new homes to redevelop in conjunction with a Community Land Trust.
- Advised Flagship Housing Limited on the forfeiture of a long lease due to fire and property damage.
- Acted for Hundred Housing Society Limited in the sale of shared ownership dwellings and stair casing of shared ownership dwellings.