The specialist pensions practice at Mills & Reeve LLP not only assists companies with pensions matters arising from corporate transactions, but advises on all aspects of public and private pensions schemes, with particular expertise in local government and NHS pensions schemes. Acting for a national client base, the firm has an impressive roster of clients in the education sector. The firmwide practice is led from Birmingham but consultant Laura Sayer in Norwich is a specialist pensions lawyer who handles scheme closures, benefits changes, buy-ins and buy-outs, corporate transactions and member complaints. She has particular expertise on pension schemes in the charities and education sectors.
Pensions in East Anglia
Other key lawyers:
Trustee of the M&H Staff Pension Plan
Trustees of the Royal Air Forces Association Pension and Assurance Scheme
Baxter Healthcare Limited
Trustee of the Leo Burnett Pension Scheme
Trustee of the Saatchi & Saatchi Group Pension Scheme
Trustees of the Sisk Pension Scheme
Trustee of the Arcotronics Pension Scheme
Trustee of the RG Carter Pension Fund
- Advised on the completion of the closure of the Baxter Healthcare Pension Plan which required the consent of each plan member (in excess of 150 active members).
- Advice to Robinson College in respect of a pensions dispute with a former employee in respect of the Universities Superannuation Scheme.
- Advised Virgin Care in respect of issues connected with the Local Government Pension Scheme and the NHS Pension Scheme.
Greenwoods GRM in Peterborough handles all aspects of occupational and personal pension schemes, from advising on the impact of new legislation and scheme governance rules to the pensions aspects of corporate transactions. A key element of its work is assisting employers and trustees with strategies to reduce liabilities and contain debt, as well as investment restructuring. Head of employment John Macaulay leads the practice but consultant Pauline Anning is the firm's pensions specialist and she has more than 25 years' experience in advising corporates, public authorities, trustees and unions.
Other key lawyers:
HCR Hewitsons has a well-established specialist pensions practice that assists employers and trustees of private sector occupational schemes through the UK, as well as advising on public sector pensions in the local government, healthcare and education sectors. Its work encompasses advice on scheme closures and mergers, incentive exercises and buyouts. Clients remark that the firm provides 'practical, pragmatic advice that nonetheless is willing to consider others'. Legal director Christopher Nuttall leads the practice; though based predominantly in Northampton, he works across all of the firm's offices.
‘The depth and breadth of their pensions knowledge is extensive. The speedy turnaround is central to our effectiveness as a professional trustee. Clarity and timeliness of billing are impressive.’
‘The speedy comprehensiveness of response to queries is impressive; practical, pragmatic advice that nonetheless is willing to consider others.’
T Groocock & Co (Rothwell) Limited
Trustees of the Velux Co. Ltd Retirement Benefits Scheme
United Learning Trust
Visit Cambridge & Beyond
Trustees of the Superior Pension Fund (Greenery UK Limited)
Trustees of the AT Oliver & Sons Ltd Pension and Life Assurance Scheme
Trustees of the Sortex Final Salary Scheme (Buhler Sortex Limited)
Perrys Group Limited
Morris Education Trust (Eastern Learning Alliance)
C Walton Limited
St Francis’ Children’s Society
- Advising trustees of a number of pension schemes on requests to temporarily suspend deficit repair contributions where sponsoring employers were experiencing liquidity pressures as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advising the pension scheme trustees on the pension aspects of the £140m sale of the principal employer of the scheme to a US based listed company.
- Carrying out work to confirm scheme changes and preparing a benefit specification to help the trustee to comply with its legal duties.