Mills & Reeve LLP has a firm-wide pensions practice that operates from its Norwich and Birmingham offices. It acts for a growing number of trustees of corporate pension schemes in the region and nationwide. It is also a key adviser to public sector clients and it has extensive expertise in the operation of the Local Government Pension Scheme and the NHS Pension Scheme. Consultant Laura Sayer in Norwich sits on the East Anglia Committee of the Pensions Management Institute and on the public sector sub-committee of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
Pensions in East Anglia
Other key lawyers:
‘Mills & Reeve provide a first-class service at competitive fee rates. The service is always personal, pragmatic and provides us as a client with real assurance that we are doing the right thing.’
‘Laura Sayer is always very prompt with responses to queries and her advice is very clear. Laura takes a commercial and pragmatic approach which means we can deal with issues in a very efficient manner.’
Trustees of the Runwood Homes Retirement Benefit Scheme
Publicis UK Trustee Limited
The Trustee of the Rabobank London Branch Pension Fund
The Trustees of the Sisk UK Pension Scheme
Trustees of the Brecon & Radnor Pension Scheme
Trustees of the Jesus College Pension Scheme
Trustees of the IIE Pension Scheme
Trustees of the BST Pension Scheme
Trustees of the LG Harris Pension Scheme
Trustees of the stand-alone schemes sponsored by Cambridge University
Trustees of the M&H Staff Pension Plan
Trustees of the J&H Bunn Pension Plan
Trustees of the Tindle Newspapers Defined Benefit Plan
- Won a new client, Publicis UK Trustee Limited, in a competitive tender for all day-to-day advisory work on five defined benefit and defined contributions schemes including those sponsored by Saatchi & Saatchi Group.
- Advised on the withdrawal of Trinity College, Cambridge, from the Universities Superannuation Scheme.
- Advised Lotus Cars on the review of its existing auto-enrolment schemes and the consultation required to introduce a new arrangement.
Greenwoods GRM in Peterborough climbs the ranking this year. It advises corporate clients on the design, establishment and restructuring of pension arrangements, as well as the merging and winding up of schemes, negotiations with the Inland Revenue and other regulatory bodies, pension disputes, and issues that arise at the beginning and end of an employment relationship. Consultant Pauline Anning handles the bulk of the case work, supported by managing partner Robert Dillarstone and head of employment John MacAulay.
HCR Hewitsons has a well-established specialist pensions practice that acts for employers and trustees of private sector occupational pension schemes throughout the country and across a wide range of business sectors. It has significant experience in public sector pensions, particularly involving the local government, healthcare and education sectors. Legal director and practice head Christopher Nuttall is primarily based in Northampton, but regularly works from the firm's three other offices including Cambridge. 'The service is exemplary and advice is provided very quickly and in a pragmatic and clear style,' says a client.
‘A good-quality service at costs that clients find reasonable.‘
‘Chris Nuttall always strives to give a full response, often widening the response beyond the narrow scope of the initial question, to ensure clients are fully taking into account all relevant aspects.‘
‘The service is exemplary. Advice is provided very quickly and in a pragmatic and clear style, making it very easy for the recipient to understand.‘
‘Chris Nuttall is very accessible and he is prepared to provide explicit guidance on legal aspects and their implications, rather than just giving a pure legal meaning response.‘
‘Value for money, good, sound well thought out advice delivered in a cost-effective way. Great advice without the huge bills. Exceptional value where you are on a tight budget.‘
‘We value Christopher Nuttall’s well considered opinion, well structured and clear advice and the fact that he does not overlay the advice with too many legal references.‘
‘The speed, pragmatism and comprehensive nature of the advice provided is commendable.‘
‘The firm shows pragmatism – anticipating likely questions that will be asked. It is approachable and clear in its advice.’
‘I have worked with the firm for many years, specifically its pensions practice. They are experts in all pensions matters and have supported several trustees of defined benefit schemes. They are always happy to help no matter the size of the job, they provide pragmatic solutions for clients, they provide excellent value for money and are prepared to quote fixed fees. Their expertise is supported by having other practices within the firm.‘
‘Chris Nuttall is a friendly lawyer who always goes the extra mile for you. He explains his advice carefully. He has excellent legal and technical knowledge combined with a pragmatic approach.‘
T Groocock & Co (Rothwell) Limited
Trustees of the Velux Co. Ltd Retirement Benefits Scheme
United Learning Trust
Visit Cambridge & Beyond
Trustees of the Superior Pension Fund (Greenery UK Limited)
Trustees of the AT Oliver & Sons Ltd Pension and Life Assurance Scheme
Trustees of the Sortex Final Salary Scheme (Buhler Sortex Limited)
Perrys Group Limited
- For T Groocock & Co (Rothwell) Limited, on the sale of a footwear brand Padders, negotiated a settlement with the buyer and trustees of two pension scheme which was notified to the Pensions Regulator; this involved separating the schemes from the client so that the buyer acquired a new business that was made legally responsible for meeting the liabilities of both schemes.
- Advising a pension scheme trustee on the legal aspects of the covenant supporting the scheme and then working alongside the Pensions Regulator and the trustee to negotiate a suitable guarantee from a foreign parent company to underpin contribution obligations.
- Following the appointment of a sole corporate trustee, advised the Trustee of the Velux Co. Ltd Retirement Benefits Scheme on scheme changes, the approach to GMP equalisation and other issues to help the trustee to comply with its legal duties and understand the covenant supporting the scheme.