Debt recovery in East Anglia
Birketts LLP acts for local and national private companies, professional partnerships and major Plcs in wide range of industry sectors including shipping and construction. It has one of the largest practices in the region with 40-year veteran of debt recovery Robert Howard, litigation partner Matthew Atkins, associate Emma Albins and two debt recovery assistants. Though based in Ipswich, the 'extremely responsive and well organised' practice delivers services through all four of the firm's regional offices.
“The practice has a very commercial approach and is excellent at sticking to budgets and providing accurate and up-to-date advice.”
“Matthew Atkins is first-class, on top of detail, very commercial in his approach, and has a wealth of experience as a litigator.”
“Emma Albins has a great eye for detail and is a careful litigator. She is on top of detail and any approach is well thought through.”
Commercial litigation and insolvency partner Alison Kirby leads the debt recovery practice at Howes Percival LLP, which focuses on complex, high-value and high-profile work for its strong commercial client base. Where litigation is required, the firm draws on contacts across the country in the form of High Court Enforcement Officers who can assist with enforcements of writs of control. Associate Gordon Simpson has more than 20 years’ experience in handling contentious disputes, including recovery of debts arising from commercial and construction contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Morris Peacock; Gordon Simpson
“We have always benefitted from access to a senior partner to direct us to an appropriate solicitor within the organization to best deal with the particular situation. As we have always been satisfied with the advice and attention to detail, we have not found the need to look to other firms.”
“Gordon Simpson quickly grasped the fundamental points of our claim and advised us on the best way forward to recover the majority of the monies owed. With the guidance of Howes Percival we were able to recover the majority of the monies owed.”
Smith of Honingham
Select Franchise Limited
- Assisted a Smith of Honingham in relation to recovery of an outstanding debt from four guarantors following the debtor company becoming insolvent.
- Acted for Select Franchising Limited in relation to a dispute with a franchise in relation to breach of the agreement which resulted in termination by the client.
- Assisted Ms Tracy Hodges in relation to the recovery of losses in respect of the purchase of a horse which she bought to use for eventing.
Mills & Reeve LLP operates a simple, fixed-fee collection service for both public and private sector clients handling undefended claims. Legal executive Lynne Lawn handles the majority of the work, with senior associate Harriet Wells, who has more than 35 years' experience in commercial litigation, closely involved in the practice when contentious matters arise.
The debt recovery practice at Steeles Law is managed by dedicated legal executive Denise Traube who has 17 years' litigation experience. She is supported by solicitors Rachel Sims, who was formerly senior counsel at Aviva, and Damian Pitts. The firm frequently acts for corporate clients in debt recovery matters and has a growing presence among entities in the voluntary and education sectors.
Watson & Hillhouse Limited
Notre Dame Preparatory School (Norwich) Limited
Mr Raymond Read
Cucina Restaurants Limited
- Recovery of unpaid school fees for Norwich-based Notre Dame Preparatory School (Norwich) Limited.
- Advice regarding disputed statutory demand to a dissolved company on behalf of a private individual Raymond Read.
- Recovery of outstanding invoice for design services on behalf of Armstrong Design, a South Norfolk-based creative agency.
- Recovery of unpaid funeral costs on behalf of local funeral directors.
- Debt recovery advice to Diss-based manufacturer.
Clapham & Collinge Solicitors
Head of litigation Mark Kermez oversees the practice at Clapham & Collinge Solicitors which acts for large local companies in the recovery of their debts. In 2018, the firm continued to expand its presence among clients in North Norfolk through the expansion of its North Walsham office. During that year, the firm saw 107 new debt recovery matters filed. Litigation partner Philip Lumb and consultant Michael Olmer are closely involved with the practice.
Fraser Dawbarns is a key player in the debt recovery market in East Cambridgeshire and West Norfolk. The firm has a highly regarded debt recovery specialist in associate Derek Shores who has more than 40 years' experience in this field of law. Shores handles complex and high-value matters, including instances where funds have been misappropriate by overseas entities.
Other key lawyers:
- Representing a client in respect of misappropriation of funds following the hacking of emails.
Rogers and Norton
Rogers and Norton handles debt recovery through its dispute resolution practice led by the vastly experienced Peter Hastings. The majority of the work is carried out by legal executive Maria Taylor, who receives bulk instructions from a national franchised loan company. Taylor advises on letters and demands before action, the issue of County Court and High Court proceedings, obtaining of default and summary judgment, and methods of enforcement.
Taylor Rose TTKW provides nationwide assistance to private individuals and commercial companies in resolving civil disputes. The six-lawyer dispute resolution practice handles numerous claims for the recovery of unpaid invoices involving home care fees, childcare fees, recruitment fees, construction, plumbing, landscaping, landlord rent arrears and the provision of goods.
Other key lawyers:
- Recovery of rental income from estate agent who had failed to account to the landlord for rent received and also failed to protect the deposit received.
- Recovery of monies owed to the claimants under a personal guarantee provided by the defendant as part of settlement in proceedings against the defendant’s company.