Birketts LLP advises individuals and companies when acquiring or selling companies, in particular family and owner-managed businesses. It also assists with the tax-efficient structuring of land development schemes for charities and agricultural businesses, and advises companies on their eligibility for the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme and the Enterprise Investment Scheme. Partner Karl Pocock and senior associate John Kahn in Norwich lead on corporate tax matters. Legal director Lisa Hayward in Ipswich handles employee incentives. 'The in-depth knowledge of the team is exceptional,' remarks one client.
Corporate tax in East Anglia
‘The in-depth knowledge of the team is exceptional and their accessibility and willingness to meet client demands always goes above and beyond.‘
‘John Kahn understands the commercial risks we face and advises in an expedient, yet comprehensive manner so that we make the most informed decision we can.‘
Shareholders of Motocaddy Holdings Limited
BUUK Infrastructure Limited
Peter Cooper, Founder of Seetec Business and Technology Centre Limited
Cambridgeshire County Council
Shareholders of Telegenic Holdings Limited
Breheny Group Limited
N W Brown
Shareholders of Commcise Software Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Motocaddy on the sale of a majority stake to Ethos Partners. The tax team advised in relation to various tax aspects of the sale, focusing primarily on the negotiation and drafting of the documentation and seeking various tax clearances as the structure altered on a number of occasions.
- Acted for BUUK Infrastructure Ltd, which entered into a strategic partnership with Sky, which opens up significant opportunity for growth in the new build residential fibre market. The work included negotiating the relevant tax elements of the key deal documents.
- Acted for Seetec Business and Technology Centre Limited’s founder, Peter Cooper, in respect of his sale of 51% of the company into a trust for the sole benefit of the company’s 2,500 employees.
The Cambridge office of Mills & Reeve LLP is best known for mid-market corporate and banking transactions, including a significant amount of work for international clients, as well as property tax structuring, employee incentive schemes, and tax advice to entities in the education and not-for-profit sectors. It counts Oxbridge colleges and major developers such as Urban & Civic among its clients. Regional practice head and principal associate Matthew Short focuses on corporate and real estate tax, particularly in the context of large property developments and construction projects. Consultant Robert Kent has a strong focus on funds and VAT issues.
Other key lawyers:
Floreat Real Estate
Urban & Civic plc
Trinity College, Cambridge
Royal Mail Pension Plan (on instructions of LaSalle Investment Management)
Oxford University Endowment Management
Fidelity UK Real Estate Fund
The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
Exeter College, Oxford
- Acted on the purchase by way of a long lease of a large multi-purpose development site in the centre of Durham, which included detailed tax advice for a complicated development and funding agreement linked to an agreement for lease.
- Advised institutional pension fund Railways Pension Trustee Company Limited with the sale of a former B&Q store at 20 Smugglers Way, Wandsworth, London, SW19.
- Assisted Kadans Science Partner with the purchase of long leasehold interest of a Unit at Babraham Research Campus fully let to two tenants operating within the life sciences sector.