The corporate tax practice at Birketts LLP has 'in-depth knowledge wrapped in a blanket of commerciality'. The firm advises regional and, in some cases, national business on the tax aspects of corporate transactions and strategic land development, as well as handling employee incentive arrangements and employee ownership trusts. Partner Karl Pocock in Norwich and legal director Lisa Hayward in Ipswich lead the practice, which also assists farming businesses with the tax-efficient structuring of their agricultural assets. Senior associate John Kahn in Norwich has extensive experience in M&A transactions, employment tax matters and the underwriting of transactional risk insurance.
Corporate tax in East Anglia
Karl Pocock; Lisa Hayward
Other key lawyers:
‘In-depth knowledge wrapped in a blanket of commerciality.’
Shareholders of Bowman Ingredients Holdings Limited
M7 Real Estate
McGee Trustee Limited
Shareholders of Vanilla Electronics
Seetec Business and Technology Centre Limited
Shareholders of Aker Systems
The Milbank Group
Big Drop Brewing Company Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Bowman Ingredients Holdings Limited on the sale of the company to Solina.
- Advised M7 Real Estate in relation to its acquisition of UK properties as part of its latest portfolio creation.
- Advised McGee Trustee Limited (trustee of the McGee Employee Ownership Trust) in relation to the acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of Mfcoil Limited.
Mills & Reeve LLP's firmwide corporate tax practice is co-led Matthew Short in Cambridge. The firm is extensively involved in structuring the tax aspects of mid-market corporate and banking transactions across a vast range of sectors, including substantial work for international clients. The firm is also adept in tax structuring for property investment and development deals, as well as providing tax advice to charities, education institutions, sports businesses and clients in the health sector. Consultant Robert Kent and senior associate Tim Waters also play a key role in advising on property and corporate tax matters.
Other key lawyers:
Floreat Real Estate
Urban & Civic plc
Trinity College, Cambridge
Royal Mail Pension Plan (on instructions of LaSalle Investment Management)
Oxford University Endowment Management
Fidelity UK Real Estate Fund
The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
Exeter College, Oxford
- Acting for RPMI Railpen on its approx. £96m purchase of Cambridge Retail Park.
- Advised The Queen Elizabeth Hospital King’s Lynn NHS Foundation Trust on he acquisition of The Sandringham Hospital, a private hospital facility, to be used to create additional capacity for planned NHS operations and procedures and for additional space as required due to COVID.
- Advising SUE GP LLP on an innovative development funding agreement for the early delivery of a circa. £40m secondary school to meet urgent demand for local additional capacity.