Angeles Pons is highly regarded for its wide-ranging expertise in intellectual property, covering all main areas of work, from trade mark infringement cases to patent registration. Wallis Pons and Jaime Ángeles jointly head the practice, which acts for clients across the retail, food, aviation, fashion, pharmaceutical and entertainment sectors, among others. Pons continues to defend Grupo Ramos in trade mark prosecution brought by shoe manufacturing company Crocs. Ángeles has extensive experience in copyright and trade mark litigation.
Intellectual property in Dominican Republic
- Defending Nestlé in a trade mark opposition case.
- Acting for Nike in litigation involving the importation of counterfeit goods.
- Defending Grupo Ramos in a trade mark case.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández's 'well-organised' team 'works well together and is highly knowledgeable about intellectual property and regulatory law'. The practice is noted for its solid capabilities in pharmaceutical patents; other recent mandates include contentious and non-contentious trade mark and copyright work. The highly regarded Mary Fernández, together with newly promoted partner and department director Lilly Acevedo, are the key names at the partner level. Associates Gabriella Villanueva, Melissa Marrero and Marializ De León are also noted.
‘Their advice is always on target‘.
‘Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández is well organised, with a team that works well together and is highly knowledgeable about intellectual property and regulatory law‘.
‘Lilly Acevedo has excellent legal judgement and knowledge of the subject, and is very diligent‘.
‘Mary Fernández is an eminent specialist in regulatory law and pharmaceutical matters. She is very proactive and attentive‘.
‘Lilly Acevedo works swiftly and is very professional, attentive and always available. She has a lot of experience in trade marks and in regulatory issues‘.
Johnson & Johnson
Molson Coors Brewing Company
Productos Farmacéuticos S.A. de C.V.
The Hershey Company
ROSEFIELD LUXEMBOURG, S.A.
PHUSION PROJECTS, LLC
- Assisted not-for-profit company Fundación Caminantes por la Vida with copyright issues.
- Assisting a number of pharmaceutical clients, including Pfizer and Novartis, with a range of patents work.
- Advising Grupo Puntacana on local and international trade mark registrations.
- Representing Bana Cosmetics in trade mark litigation.
Household name multinational companies turn to Troncoso Leroux for advice across the full spectrum of IP matters. Patents, copyright, and trade mark infringement cases have recently been key areas of instruction for the practice. IP expert Maria del Pilar Troncoso leads the team. Pedro Troncoso counts IP litigation as a core strength, while Vanessa Cabrera, who was promoted to junior partner in July 2019, is noted for her expertise in trade mark work. Senior associate Maxiell Herrera is also recommended.
‘They provide some of the best advice in the region, and achieve good results in little time‘.
Eli Lilly and Company
Mayor League Baseball (MLB)
Moet & Henessy
Futbol Club Barcelona
SAS Jean Cassegran
Ron Barcelo, S.R.L.
The J.M. Smucker Company
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Assisting F. Hoffmann-La Roche with the restoration of its patent.
- Successfully represented Pfizer in a trade mark opposition case concerning the design of the Viagra tablet.
- Representing Puma in a case involving counterfeit goods and trade mark infringement.
- Successfully represented Viacom International in a case involving trade mark infringement and counterfeit goods.
Bufete Lugo Lovatón
Trade mark cases have been prominent in the recent workload for Bufete Lugo Lovatón's team, and the group also reports an uptick in anti-counterfeiting mandates. It counts a number of major local companies among its clients, including companies in the beverages, sports, telecoms and media sectors. Senior partner Zaida Lugo jointly heads the practice with José Santana, who is noted for his expertise in trade marks, and associate Héctor Collado, who regularly handles IP litigation.
Genomma Lab Internacional
Vinicola del Norte
KEURIG DR. PEPPER
PAYLESS SHOESOURCE WORLDWIDE INC.
Spirit Imports, INC
Hovey Williams LLP
Jeunesse Global Holdings
Konzett Kohlhaupt Folie
Cervieri Monsuarez & Asoc.
- Successfully defended beverage company Vinícola del Norte against a trade mark infringement claim concerning the design of a whisky bottle.
- Acting for clothing manufacturer Confecciones Carmen Herrera in a copyright infringement case.
JJ Roca & Asociados
JJ Roca & Asociados' highly regarded team acts as regional Caribbean IP counsel for several multinational companies, and has recently further expanded its client base with several new clients in the food and beverage and technology sectors. Patents work and regulatory matters are among the team's areas of strength. The department is jointly led by Sharin Pablo de Roca and Ana Paula Campusano, who was promoted to junior partner in May 2019.
‘They are knowledgeable, provide prompt responses, and are professional, friendly and always available‘.
The Coca Cola Company
Biofarma / Les Laboratoires Servier
Western Digital Technologies, INC
Kerry Group, PLC
Laqtia, S. L
Bravo, S. A.
Santo Domingo Coffee Shop, SAS
The Village Company, LLC
Dentons, Cardenas & Cardenas
Alpina, S. A.
Quanta Associates, LP
St. Andrews Links Limited
Innovak Global S.A. de C.V.
- Assists The Coca-Cola Company with its trade mark portfolio for the Caribbean.
- Defending The Village Company in a trade mark opposition case.
- Assisting coffee company Laqtia with its trade mark portfolio for the Dominican Republic.
Urko Ochoa leads the practice at MINIÑO Abogados, which is well known for its established presence in the Caribbean, where it assists with domain name matters, patents work and IP litigation, to name a few areas. Past work for the team includes pharmaceutical patent and trade mark litigation. Managing partner Orietta Blanco is a highly regarded practitioner in this space. Senior associate Pamela Hernández handles copyright infringement cases.
The 'excellent' team at Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti is adept at advising on non-contentious and contentious IP matters, and has solid expertise in assisting with Cuba-related mandates. The group has been kept particularly busy handling trade mark litigation recently: practice head Rosa Campillo Celado is acting for Taiff - Daihatsu Industria e Comercio de Moveis e Aparelhos Eletricos in a trade mark infringement case. Mónika Fiallo Paradas is noted for her expertise in the pharmaceutical sector.
‘The team from Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti is excellent, extremely professional and knowledgeable‘.
Taiff – Daihatsu Industria e Comercio de Moveis e Aparelhos Eletricos Ltda
Goya Foods Inc.
Photoshop del Caribe SRL
Mead Johnson Nutrition, S.A.
Cortes Hermanos & Co.
- Representing Goya Foods in a trade mark opposition action.
- Provides ongoing assistance to Novo Nordisk, Puerto Rico Hospital Supply and Labtest Diagnóstica regarding regulatory and compliance matters concerning sanitary and trade mark registrations in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Cortés Hermanos with registering trade marks in Mexico, the EU, Cuba and Haiti.
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo's department counts trade mark infringement and prosecution work as a cornerstone area of expertise. Tania Castillo is acting for a household name multinational company in litigation concerning the infringement of its trade mark by a local company. Senior associate Carimer Guzmán is also noted.
Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Industrias Banilejas (INDUBAN)
RUTTENSPERGER LACHNIT TROSSIN GOMOLL
Grupo Bimbo, SA de CV
Banco Popular Dominicano
- Assisting healthcare company F. Hoffmann-La Roche with trade mark enforcement issues.
- Acting for a multinational mass media company in a number of trade mark infringement cases.
Pellerano & Messina
Operating since April 2019, IP boutique Pellerano & Messina is particularly strong in contentious and non-contentious trade mark work. Ana Messina heads the practice, which counts Hugo Boss among its prominent clients; the team handles the company's trade mark portfolio in the Dominican Republic. Also noted are senior associate Adelin Villalobos and associates Carlos Tapia and Hemil Rodriguez.
Club Viva International Resorts
Insecticidas Internacionales Dominicana
Dolce & Gabanna
Herrero & Asociados
- Representing nutritional life sciences company Nutrabolt in litigation concerning trade mark infringement.
- Assisting multinational fashion company Dolce & Gabbana with its trade mark portfolio for the Dominican Republic.
Ulises Cabrera Abogados' 'proactive' team is 'disciplined and well-prepared' and demonstrates 'excellent knowledge'. Trade mark, patent and copyright matters form the bulk of the group's workload; recent highlights include Magdalena Almonte acting for a prominent watch manufacturer in litigation concerning the import of counterfeit goods. Clients are drawn from the pharmaceutical, healthcare and food and beverage sectors, among others. Almonte and associate Aidaluz Pimentel jointly head the practice.
‘A proactive team that provides timely and thorough responses‘.
‘A disciplined and well-prepared team‘.
‘Magdalena Almonte truly gives the client peace of mind due to her experience and knowledge‘.
‘Aidaluz Pimentel and Magdalena Almonte understand the dynamics and the demands of today’s commercial world. They adapt to the client’s requirements to provide a personalised service‘.
Kellogg Sales Company
Química Suiza Industrial
- Acts for a watch manufacturer in litigation concerning counterfeit goods.