Santroni Parsons is a highly regarded firm specialising in environmental law and regulation. It provides assistance with investment projects, with an emphasis on environmental feasibility studies, investment strategies, environmental permits and licences, as well as the implementation of environmental best practices. Founding partner Romina Santroni is a well-recognised practitioner, whose practice concentrates on social conflicts, processes, land use, land planning, resort development, tourism and general environmental compliance, as well as tax incentives, licensing and construction. She jointly leads the team with Guily Shemer, who is an expert in environment, sustainable development, tourism and hospitality.
Environment in Dominican Republic
Romina Santroni; Guily Shemer
‘Tightly-knit boutique firm that addresses the needs of the client in a very personal manner. Strengths include the necessary legal expertise, governmental connections, and efficient in service. Result driven, with timely response times. Touches upon the academic-level legal analysis, but manages to address the business impacts of the legal matter, setting them apart from all other DR firms.’
‘Romina Santroni: her handling of the legal matters is unparalleled, while her commitment to the job makes her a force to be reckoned with.’
‘Guily Shemer: her energy and attention to detail is humbling, being able to tackle and summarise complex legal questions in the most clear and precise manner.’
Moon Palace Resorts
Amanera Resort – Playa Grande Project
Real Hotel Intercontinental Santo Domingo
Hotel Casas del xvi
Hacienda Samana Bay
Hotel Quality Santo Domingo
Sanctuary Cap Cana
Hotel Ac Santiago
Eco Del Mar
Inversiones Inmobiliarias De La Republica Dominicana
Baobinio – Asuncion Inmobiliaria
- Assisting DP World Caucedo in creating and designing the environmental strategy in order to obtain all environmental permits required for its infrastructure expansion.
- Acting as environmental consultant, assisting and representing Cemex before the Ministry of the Environment regarding incidents, permit renovations and initiatives for the re-use of waste for the generation of renewable energy.
- Advising Playa Grande Golf And Ocean Club on real estate transactions, environment (compliance, permits and plans), sustainability strategies, governmental relations, land use and regulatory matters.
Having taken part in a vast number of environmental projects in the country, DMK Abogados has a significant track record in the field, particularly in connection to the mitigation of environmental risks, the execution of projects and their compliance, and sustainable development. Environmental permits, licences, management agreements and negotiations with public authorities are at the core of the group's offering. Patricia Guzmán has recently appeared in many key mandates, addressing the environmental aspects, including the high-profile administrative appeal of Corporación Aeroportuaria del Este against the construction project of the Bavaro International Airport. In this matter, as in many others, the firm's environment department worked in collaboration with the corporate and tourism teams, providing comprehensive assistance. The matter was led by foreign investment, business and governmental affairs expert Enrique de Marchena, who co-leads the environment practice alongside Guzmán.
Enrique de Marchena; Patricia Guzmán
Corporación Aeroportuaria del Este
Punta Cana Group
Esmiralda (Costa Esmeralda)
Senator Hotels and Resort
Sol Meliá International
Tenedora las Terrenas
- Representing Corporación Aeroportuaria del Este in an administrative appeal against the construction project of the Bavaro International Airport, promoted by ABRISA Group, alleging a series of irregularities and defects in the approval process and non-compliance with legal requirements, including environmental issues.
- Providing comprehensive legal advice to Punta Cana Group for the development of a water and sewerage system (Aqueduct) on Punta Cana, Bávaro and Macao.
- Providing day-to-day assistance in environmental matters to Senator Hotels and Resorts, a Spanish chain that expanded its operations to the Dominican Republic and acquired three hotels from RIU Hotels in Puerto Plata.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández's environment law team is known for the breadth and depth of its advice and representation in dispute resolution. Its expertise takes in environmental regulation and compliance, including impact studies for industrial, conventional and renewable energy, and tourism projects. The department's workload also includes reviews of the new regulation for the granting of environmental permits and authorisations, as well as representation in civil, administrative and criminal cases, especially in connection to liability for damage to the environment. The team is managed by litigation partner Julio Camejo.
The Ocean Cleanup
The Nature Conservancy
Grupo Punta Cana
Puerto Quetzal Power
- Provided legal advice and assistance to The Ocean Cleanup in connection with the agreement between the NGO and the Dominican Republic Government regarding its river cleaning system.
- Assisting The Nature Conservancy with its project Resilient Islands, an initiative designed to help Caribbean islands cope with the impacts of climate change by promoting ecosystem-based solutions that protect and restore coastal habitats proven to reduce risks.
- Providing ongoing legal assistance and support to Fenwal International on matters concerning environmental issues in the Dominican Republic.
Gustavo Mena leads Pellerano Nadal's environmental practice, which covers environmental due diligence and project assessments as its core areas of activity. The department is accredited by the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources of the Dominican Republic and regularly offers environmental advice in connection to real estate and corporate law. These are all fields in which Mena excels, alongside his focus on environmental matters, including waste management and climate change, in addition to conflict resolution. The groups also stands out for frequently advising clients in the tourism, oil and gas and mining sectors.
Dentons United Kingdom
Barrick Gold Corporation
Inter-American Development Bank
World Justice Project
GoldQuest Mining Corporation
Belfond Enterprises (Pederson and Partners)
Tullow New Ventures
- Advising the World Bank in connection to the revision of a joint declaration by government ministries in the Dominican Republic for the local implementation of environmental bonds and the subscription of an emissions reductions payment agreement.
- Assisting Barrick Gold with the expansion of the Pueblo Viejo Mine, including in the environmental aspects with the verification of permits and the evaluation of environmental strategies to be implemented.
- Assisted Belfond Enterprises in the acquisition of land for the development of a mining project.
Guzmán Ariza is involved in environmental law matters in connection to its broader real estate and tourism practice. Also of note is its advice on environmental matters in the construction and entertainment industries. A large part of the team’s workload involves sustainability, compliance, permits, and technical and legal feasibility studies, as well as environmental impact assessments, statements and minimum impact certification, among other areas. Alfredo Guzmán Saladín and Giselle Pérez Reyes co-lead the practice.
Alfredo Guzmán Saladín; Giselle Pérez Reyes
Viva Wyndham Resorts
Athelia Blue Finance
- Advised 12Tree Finance on the development of greenfield and brownfield investments in the Dominican Republic, through the creation of a free zone park.
- Representing Althelia’s Sustainable Ocean Fund SICAV-SIF’s project to provide financing of $5m for the development and management of the Arrecifes del Sureste Marine Sanctuary.
- Assisted Potentia Renewables with the legal due diligence, as well as in the environmental compliance and the required studies to obtain the final concession on three wind farms in the Dominican Republic, of 50MW, 40MW and 25MW each.