Recently certified as a carbon neutral operation by TUV Rheinland (as of July 2022), Santroni Parsons has a wealth of experience in compliance with environmental regulations, acting predominately for tourist resorts but also advising a port operator, an electricity generation plant and a manufacturer. For tourist clients, the firm advises during construction and development, covering environmental impact assessments, land use and permits, and also on day-to-day matters, such as keeping environmental permits up to date and passing authority inspections. A highlight is the team’s work for the $600m Moon Palace Resorts development, advising on environmentally sensitive areas such as wetlands and mangroves. Founding partner Romina Santroni specialises in the area, representing clients such as Amanera Resort and Kaynoa Airpark before environmental authorities. Fellow practice co-head Guily Shemer gained permits and advised on regulatory compliance for the $1bn Playa Grande Golf and Ocean Club.
Environment in Dominican Republic
Romina Santroni; Guily Shemer
Moon Palace Resorts – Macao Alto Resort I & II and Ciudad Palace
Amanera Resort – Playa Grande Project
Playa Grande Golf and Ocean Club
Hotel Real Intercontinental Santo Domingo
Hotel Casas Del XVI – Grupo Inicia
Hacienda Samana Bay
Hotel Quality Santo Domingo
- Advised Moon Palace Resorts – Macao Alto Resort I & II and Ciudad Palace in the combined development of its resort and real estate projects with environmentally sensitive areas.
- Advises Playa Grande Golf and Ocean Club in aspects related to real estate transactions, environment (compliance, permits and plans), sustainability strategies, governmental relations, land use and regulatory matters.
- Advised DP World Caucedo on an environmental impact assessment which resulted in the approval of an environmental permit for the expansion of a port.
Enrique De Marchena Kaluche at DMK Abogados often takes on litigation based on environmental compliance, acting for the Corporacion Aeroportuaria del Este in administrative appeals against the construction of the Bavaro International Airport, seeking cancellation of the project’s environmental licence, as well as defending a hotel against an allegation of toxic waste. The team also advises on the environmental aspects of projects for developers and lenders, such as Punta Cana Group’s US$200m aqueduct development, and takes on mitigation of environmental risks and renewal of licences. Patricia Guzmán advises hospitality chains, as well as acting as an external adviser to the Minister of Environment.
Enrique De Marchena Kaluche; Patricia Guzmán Parra
Corporación Aeroportuaria Del Este
Punta Cana Group
SenatorHotels and Resort
Sol Meliá International
Tenedora Las Terrenas
- Continues to represent Corporacion Aeroportuaria del Este in an administrative appeal against a Bavaro International Airport construction project, promoted by ABRISA Group, alleging a series of irregularities and defects in the approval process and non-compliance with legal requirements, including environmental issues.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández advises on compliance with environmental regulations, such as performing impact studies for industrial and tourism projects.
Gustavo Mena oversees the environmental practice at Pellerano Nadal, which advises clients on regulatory compliance during projects and transactions. Examples include working on permits and a strategy to abide by environmental regulations for Barrick Gold Corporation in its billion-dollar expansion of the Pueblo Viejo Mine; advising construction company J Fortuna on its level of environmental responsibility for drilling a cavity during a construction project; and providing an environmental compliance assessment during the due diligence for IMCD Group’s acquisition of Andes Chemical. Negotiations with the Ministry of Environment and Environmental Commission of the Senate of the Republic are another highlight, relating to community disputes, while the firm also represented mining company DOCALSA in litigation regarding alleged contamination.
Barrick Gold Corporation
Belfond Enterprise (Pederson and Partners)
MK Inc of the Palm Beaches
New Fortress Energy
J Fortuna Constructores
Dominicana de Cales
- Ongoing assistance to Barrick Gold with the expansion of the Pueblo Viejo Mine.
- Advised Pederson and Partners, an independent investment management firm with assets under management across a variety of alternative asset classes which, via Belfond Enterprises, has dedicated itself to explore and extract minerals in the Dominican Republic.
- Retained by Apache Corporation to assist with all of the legal requirements to initiate its exploration for oil off the coast of San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic.
Much of Guzmán Ariza‘s work in this practice involves the environmental aspects of hotel and tourist resort developments, with Giselle Pérez Reyes, who was appointed partner in September 2022, handling construction licences, permits and advice regarding protected areas. Reyes worked on the multi-million-dollar Anex Tours development, a mixed-use real estate and tourism project, which involved an environmental impact study and advice on design as the development contained protected areas. The firm additionally gained environmental permits for Club Med’s hotel construction and Noval’s gated community development, both also valued in the multi-millions of dollars. Senior partner Fabio Guzmán Saladín works on environmentally beneficial projects; primarily he advises foreign investors aiming to finance sustainable projects in the country (particularly regarding regulatory compliance for sustainable forestry opportunities and due diligence connected to the development of nature reserves), and also counsel for renewable energy projects on their environmental compliance.
Fabio Guzmán Saladín; Giselle Perez Reyes
Club Mediterranée (Club Med)
Viva Wyndham Resorts
Athelia Blue Finance
Levitals Grupo Inversor
Potentia Renewables (Emerald Solar Energy)
Althelia Blue Finance
- Advised 12Tree Finance on the development of greenfield and brownfield investments in the Dominican cacao-coconut industry, through the creation of a free zone park.
- Representing Althelia Blue Finance’s Sustainable Ocean Fund SICAV-SIF’s project to provide financing of US$5m for the development and management of the Arrecifes del Sureste Marine Sanctuary, the second largest natural reserve in the country, covering an area of 7,862.59 km2.
- Assisted Potentia Renewables (Emerald Solar Energy) with due diligence, as well as environmental compliance and required studies, to obtain the final concession for three wind farms in the Dominican Republic, of 50MW, 40MW and 25MW each.
Ulises Cabrera provides environmental expertise for manufacturing clients, with managing partner José Cruz Campillo recently representing a textile company in administrative appeals against fines for violations of environmental regulations. Campillo also leads the team in negotiations of permits with the Ministry of Environment, assisted by Heiddy Moronta, who works on all environmental matters at the firm. The pair collaborated on amending a permit for a textile plant, a key element of the plant’s environmental plan, as well as renewing a permit for healthcare manufacturer Cardinal Health. The team also assisted multinational environmental consultants with permits to allow them to carry out environmental impact studies for a mining company. Founding partner Ulises Cabrera and Monica Villafaña oversee work connected to environmental regulations.
Ulises Cabrera; Monica Villafaña; Jose Cruz Campillo; Heiddy Moronta
‘When the firm takes on cases in this area, it pays special attention to mastering the technical aspects. Deals exceptionallay with regulatory authorities, and we have achieved great results thanks to its assistance and advice.’
‘Jose Cruz has been a key player in matters related to this area. The constant follow-up and interest that he puts into each of our matters, make him worthy of our recognition.’
Gildan Activewear Properties (Dominican Republic)
Knight Piésold Consultores
Cardinal Health D.R. 203 II