Telecoms in Denmark
The ‘highly specialised’ team at Accura Advokatpartnerselskab has ‘extensive knowledge and a long track record in telecoms contract preparation and negotiation support’, which it primarily provides to established and prospective telecoms systems providers. The group also assists with negotiations, tenders and regulatory issues. The firm’s telecoms practice is spearheaded by René Thornfeldt, who also handles dispute resolution including cross-border litigation and arbitration proceedings, as well as outsourcing processes and technology transfers.
‘Accura has a highly specialised team with telecoms competences. They have extensive knowledge and a long track record in telecoms contract preparation and negotiation support. They can be a very strong support to resolve contractual issues and they are very professional in their way to guide clients to negotiate contractual issues.’
‘The main difference from Accura and other legal advisors on the Danish market is the highly specialised telecoms competences and the understanding that the Accura team holds.’
Soracom Denmark ApS
Megaport (Ireland) Limited
Hudya Denmark A/S and Hudya Tele & Data ApS
Alcatel-Lucent / Alcatel Submarine Networks Denmark ApS
- Represented one of the world’s largest telecoms service providers in a case against one of the largest telecoms providers in Denmark concerning financial and potential operational impacts.
- Advised Megaport, a global provider of interconnection services, on various regulatory matters in relation to setting up as a communications/connectivity provider between large data centres, cloud service providers etc. in Denmark and the EU.
- Advised Hudya, a global provider of telecoms and other services, on various agreements in relation to an agency cooperation with one of Scandinavia’s largest telecoms providers, whereby Hudya can market, sell and service mobile telecoms services to its customers in Denmark.
Niels M. Andersen leads the ‘incredibly skilled and very accessible’ telecoms team at Bech-Bruun, which is particularly adept at assisting domestic and international clients with regulatory issues, infrastructure agreements and data protection measures. The practice also advises on public and private procurements, M&A, reorganisations, outsourcings, transfers and licence agreements. Andersen also receives a steady flow of instructions related to consumer, insurance and marketing laws. Arly Carlquist is now a government ministry consultant.
Niels M. Andersen
Other key lawyers:
Joachim Nydam Bjerregaar
‘High professionalism. They have knowledge from many cases which allows them perspective, and advise at a level where theory can be converted to practice. They understand our business and do not waste time on unnecessary formalities.’
‘Niels Andersen and his team, especially Joachim Nydam Bjerregaar, are, in addition to being extremely pleasant people, incredibly skilled and very accessible. They make me feel like I am the most important client they have.’
ACN Europe B.V.
Nordic Entertainment Group Denmark (NENT)
- Acted as lead counsel to Nordic Entertainment Group on its establishment of a billion kroner pan-Nordic joint venture with Telenor on satellite distribution in the Nordic countries.
- Assisted the owners of ipnordic A/S with the company’s sale to the Dutch Within Reach Group, one of Europe’s leading providers of unified communications.
- Advised Nordic Entertainment Group on a major reorganisation and the negotiation of its broadcasting, licensing and distribution scheme with the largest distributor in Denmark, TDC.
The telecoms practice at Gorrissen Federspiel provides advice on sector regulations, competition law, consumer issues, contracts and M&A transactions. The group is led by EU and competition specialist Martin André Dittmer, who has extensive experience working for telecoms companies including large mobile network operators; he frequently secures merger control clearances, advises on public procurement matters and licence auctions, and assists with joint ventures, infrastructure projects and outsourcings. Lasse Skaarup Christensen also acts for broadband and cable television companies on IP and IT issues.
Martin André Dittmer
Other key lawyers:
Lasse Skaarup Christensen
‘Gorrissen’s team is very into the telecoms business and its logic. Much appreciated when negotiating transactions.’
- Acting for fibre broadband company Waoo A/S on matters concerning the client’s television distribution and telecoms activities, including regulatory advice, consumer law, negotiations of content agreements with suppliers, data protection issues, and competition law.
- Assisting Hi3G on an ongoing basis with all matters concerning telecoms activities including telecoms regulations, competition law, contract law, IT law and M&A issues.
- Assisted Waoo A/S with the review, revision and negotiation of an exclusive distribution agreement with AMAZON EU S.À R.L. regarding the streaming service Amazon Prime Video.
Kromann Reumert's practice primarily advises telecoms companies on large M&A transactions, regulations and infrastructure and outsourcing projects. It is particularly active in fixed and mobile network outsourcings, and also advises on contractual and procurement issues. Practice head Torben Waage is described as ‘one of the best attorneys within this particular field in Denmark, with vast industry experience and a very strategic approach’. The group is also praised for its RAN and CORE project expertise, which is a noteworthy area of strength for IT expert Søren Skibsted.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have hired Torben Waage to assist us with various matters relating to the IT and Telecoms sectors. He is by far one of the best attorneys within this particular field in Denmark, with vast industry experience and a very strategic approach. Simply put: We really enjoy working with him.’
‘I have used Kromann Reumert for telecoms work for the past 13 years, including RAN and CORE projects, telecoms outsourcing and business process outsourcing. The firm is clearly both the best and most experienced within telecoms.’
- Advising Telenor on an ongoing basis on telecoms regulatory matters and data regulation.
- Assisting Cibicom with respect to regulatory, contractual and public procurement issues.
- Assisting Verizon with regulatory, contractual and public procurement matters.
At Plesner, the telecoms group handles an assortment of regulatory issues, telecoms transactions and telecoms disputes, with considerable expertise in the development of network infrastructure. Niels Christian Ellegaard, who leads the team, specialises in establishing fibre networks. Other areas of strength include M&A, joint ventures, as well as drafting and negotiating telecoms outsourcing arrangements. Another name to note is Michael Hur Bertelsen, whose practice encompasses telecoms outsourcings.
Niels Christian Ellegaard
Other key lawyers:
Michael Hur Bertelsen
- Assisted Fibia P/S with all legal aspects surrounding the preparation and drafting of a new wholesale agreement enabling service providers to utilise and benefit from its fibre network infrastructure.
- Assisting OpenNet with the development of an innovative and unique concept/platform enabling fibre network owners to make their infrastructure available to other service and content providers.
- Assisted GlobalConnect with a comprehensive assessment of the introduction of the EU Codex under Danish Law with a particular focus on the impact on fibre network providers.
Jointly headed up by Mandeep Singh Rathour and Michael Brandt, the team at CO:PLAY handles an array of matters in the telecoms space, leveraging its new spinoff from the firm’s software development, Maigon, which provides legal AI solutions. Key pillars of the practice include IT contractual work, regulatory issues, procurement processes, domestic and EU competition mandates and telecoms M&A. The group advises a number of large network operators.
Mandeep Singh Rathour; Michael Brandt
Tele Greenland A/S
- Advised Tele Greenland on its public tender Critical Communication in Greenland and subcontract with Ericsson.
- Advising Tele Greenland on its contract with Ericson on the maintenance and upgrade of its 4G mobile network.
- Advised Tele Greenland on its purchase of submarine cables.
The practice at DLA Piper Denmark advises telecoms clients on a range of IT contracts, data protection issues, regulatory compliance, e-commerce matters and competition mandates; it also has notable contentious expertise. Following the departure of former practice head René Offersen, the group is now headed up by Sebastian Ingversen, who has a particular focus on M&A transactions and corporate work in the telecoms sector.
Other key lawyers:
- Assisted TDC with a large intra-group restructuring.
- Assisted Tele Greenland with various competition law matters, including a case regarding damages in connection with alleged refusal to supply.
- Assisting Vodafone with ongoing regulatory compliance and reporting matters with the Danish telecoms regulators (the Danish Business Authority and the Danish Energy Agency).
Horten is a key name for telecoms industry companies, particularly in relation to data protection issues, as well as regulatory and contractual matters concerning the expansion of communication networks. Recently, the group has had a particular focus on telecoms-related infrastructure projects concerning utility and emergency services. The practice also has additional expertise in the drafting, negotiation and financing of IT licences, M&A transactions, and litigation and arbitration proceedings. Asger Heine Jensen is the key contact. Former practice head Mads Nygaard Madsen and Michael Goeskjær departed to DAHL Law Firm in 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Asger Heine Jensen
‘Excellent knowledge in the telecoms areas, and the dynamics which influences the sector. Politically well connected.’
BD Consult Electronic Engineering A/S
- Advising Motorola Solutions Group and group companies including Dansk Beredskabskommunikation A/S in respect to numerous matters regarding the company’s nationwide communication network for emergency and utility services.
- Advising BD Consult Electronic Engineering A/S on all legal aspects of its co-operation agreements with: (i) Otis; and (ii) the Schur group.