Media and entertainment in Denmark
Lassen Ricard advises foreign and domestic radio and television channels as well as webcasters on the drafting and negotiation of licence agreements to enable broadcasting, and the provision of on-demand online streaming services on devices such as TV sets, smartphones, tablets and PCs. Steen Lassen and Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup advise broadcasters on contracts with TV distributors relating to retransmission and linear distribution. Henrik Schütze and practice head Peter Lambert are experienced in representing clients in litigation related to media liability, equitable remuneration, media’s freedom of expression and privacy protection.
‘To-the-point advice and strong IP skills.’
‘The team is always helpful and knowledgeable.’
‘Steen Lassen is extremely knowledgeable, solution-oriented, has vast experience and is always well-prepared and diligent.’
TV 2 Denmark
TV 2 Norway
VG Media rep. Sat1 and Pro7
And many other broadcasters
Warner Bros. International Television
- Representing DR in a number of libel litigation cases and cases regarding privacy protection.
- Representing commercial and public service broadcasters in negotiations and potential upcoming litigation against the collecting societies KODA and Gramex concerning equitable remuneration.
- Assisting UBO with contracts worth €200m annually with TV distributors on retransmission, i.e. linear distribution.
The practice at Plesner advises film distribution companies, cinema owners and film advertisement production companies on commercial and public law matters, such as the drafting and negotiation of licensing agreements. Kasper Frahm is experienced in representing in IP-related disputes in the media sector. Practice head Emil Jurcenoks combines commercial advice with litigation knowledge and regularly acts for celebrities and tabloid magazines on matters involving data protection regulations and the media’s freedom of press.
‘Practical advice with great knowledge of the industry. Gives actual advice and answers your questions. Understands and is genuinely interested in our business.’
GF Forsikring A/S
- Representing GF Forsikring in a €4m infringement case concerning press services.
Bech-Bruun advises on film and music matters in connection with broadcasting through radio, TV, cinema and online streaming. The practice has expertise in the drafting and negotiation of industry agreements, licensing matters as well as transactional work in the media and entertainment industries. The practice also advises on conclusion and collaboration agreements involving film and entertainment companies. Niels M. Andersen is experienced in litigating on behalf of picture and video licensing corporations on copyright matters.
Niels M. Andersen
Other key lawyers:
Claus Barrett Christiansen; Arly Carlquist
‘The team is knowledgeable and understands the customer.’
Motion Picture Licensing Company Denmark A/S
- Assisted Accenture with the acquisition of the advertising and media company Hjaltelin Stahl.
- Assisting MPLC with a lawsuit against the rights organisation Copydan AVU medier concerning unfair marketing practices towards educational institutions with respect to the amount of movie rights offered.
- Assisting Dar Salim with the negotiations and conclusion of a talent agreement with Discovery Networks regarding the client’s participation as a host for the TV-show Top Gear.
The practice at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab advises film production and entertainment companies on cross-border IP and regulatory matters related to media and entertainment. Peer B. Petersen is the practice head and is experienced in advising the film and music industry on copyright law and court proceedings on infringement cases, as well as on piracy and counterfeiting prevention. The practice is also experienced in the domestic and international exploitation of sports rights.
Peer B. Petersen
Other key lawyers:
Sony Music Entertainment A/S
M2 Film A/S
- Assisting Sony Music with the establishment of the ventures One Seven Music and MX3, as well as with its acquisition of the remaining shares of the music publishing venture DiscoWax.
- Assisting SAM Productions with the negotiation and drafting of agreements with broadcasters and TV distributors on the production, launch and distribution of new TV-series.
- Acting for META Film on an ongoing basis on matters where titles and content of film productions on the drawing board potentially could involve trade mark and other IP rights conflicts.
Gorissen Federspiel has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious media matters and regularly assists with media regulations, as well as with the transmission and distribution of TV rights and new media platforms, which also includes assistance with regulations concerning on-demand services. Christian Alsøe, Erik Kjær-Hansen and Lasse Søndergaard Christensen jointly head the practice and have experience in copyright matters as well as fundamental nature in the intersection between competition law, IP law and media.
Christian Alsøe; Erik Kjær-Hansen; Lasse Søndergaard Christensen
‘The reason why Gorrissen Federspiel comes across as a really great firm is its capability to deliver and the desire to assist with input and perspective that goes beyond the immediate task at hand. The technical quality is exceptional, and I am always certain that they have a 360-degree perspective of the task, which makes me very comfortable with the output they deliver.’
‘They never fail to deliver high quality advice in a clear and client-centred fashion.’
‘I value the team’s ability to advise on legal matters with depth, taking into consideration the decisions of a more financial nature.’
‘Christian Alsøe is exceptionally qualified when advising on new media and digital technology. He has many years practice experience as lawyer. He is highly skilled and very solution-oriented. He never loses track of what is best for your business here and now – and in the long run.’
‘The quality that is delivered is always outstanding and always delivered on time – even for enquiries with a very short time-frame.’
‘Lasse Søndergaard Christensen provides the strategic overview required for high complexity matters: It is clear to me that the more complex the matter, the more value he is able to add.’
JP/Politikens Hus A/S
Danish Artist Association
Danish Football League Association
Jysk Fynske Medier P/S
- Represented HBO Nordic in a case concerning the level of the tariff charged by the Danish Collective Rights Management Society, KODA, for the use of musical rights on HBO Nordic’s Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD) streaming services.
Horten has expertise in the drafting and negotiation of classic publishing, theatre and musical production, format and merchandise agreements as well as in the drafting and negotiation of record contracts, TV production and licence agreements. The firm also offers specialist advice on internet-based distribution forms. Asger Heine Jensen is the practice head and possesses expertise in copyright issues and regularly advises game developers. Nina Henningsen left the practice in October 2019 to become practice head at Mazanti-Andersen Korsø Jensen.
Asger Heine Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Mood Media International
North Media A/S
BBC World Service
The City of Copenhagen
Turner Broadcasting LTD
Paddy Power Betfair
- Advising Storytel following its merger with audio books competitor Mofibo in connection with the client’s promotion of Mofibo as the company brand.
- Assisting Ejendomsfonden Artcenter Spritten with the establishment of a €15m art centre in Aalborg, including negotiating a commissioning agreement with Tomas Saraceno and his studio as well as advice on copyright and trademark aspects.
- Advising Altinget.dk on legal matters pertaining to its media business, including negotiations and contractual documentation.
Kromann Reumert has expertise in regulatory matters concerning newspaper publishing, TV and radio broadcasting, sports, social media and film production. The practice advises on press law, defamation law, anti-doping and criminal law as well as copyright law. The practice also handles media-related court cases. Practice head Martin Dahl Pedersen is experienced in drafting and advising on both sides of sponsorship agreements, as well as in the contractual implications of digital challenges and opportunities within the media and entertainment environment.
Martin Dahl Pedersen
‘Kromann Reumert runs without doubt one of the finest practices in Denmark.’
‘Martin is a hardworking, unpretentious and empathic lawyer and a fair and good colleague.’
Danish Players Association
Danish Handball Players Association
Dansk Psykologisk Forlag
- Advised KSE MOTV Holdings, LLC on the acquisition of the online video streaming company Hunters Video A/S.
- Represented JP/Politiken Hus in a newspaper injunction matter and subsequently in criminal proceedings in respect of the breach of injunction.
- Represented Dansk Psykologisk Forlag in a copyright infringement litigation.
Mazanti-Andersen Korsø Jensen assists with the drafting and negotiation of media and entertainment contracts involving publishers, TV and music production. The practice also advises on licensing agreements in connection with sport rights and the broadcasting of sports events. Nina Henningsen heads the practice, having joined the team in October 2019 from Horten, and is as an IP and media law specialist who regularly advises on sponsorship and marketing contracts as well as on online entertainment services.
‘Nina Henningsen is the queen of media and entertainment.’
Mood Media International
BBC World Service
Turner Broadcasting LTD
Odense Handball Club
Nordisk Film TV A/S
- Advising the Scandinavian Film Fund on the formation and structuring of a DKK110m Scandinavian feature film investment fund.
- Advising Odense Handball Club A/S on the negotiation of player contracts and agreements, TV-rights, legal issues regarding concerts and events and as well as on sponsorship and commercial agreements.
- Advising Fredericia Theatre on the production rights to the world premiere on the musical ‘She loves you’, based on the Beatles song catalogue.
Bruun & Hjejle regularly acts for newspapers, television stations and online media companies on defamation and privacy lawsuits, complaints to the Danish Press Council, IPR matters, questions on marketing initiatives, as well as on business and commercial issues relating to the media industry. Morten Stadil heads the practice and is experienced in the drafting and negotiation of new political media agreements between the government and political parties, as well as in regulatory aspects concerning IT and media companies.
Berlingske Media A/S
CGI Danmark A/S
Applus Danmark A/S
Global Wind Organisation
LTP Denmark A/S
- Advised Berlingske Media on its takeover of the financial and stock information trading sites euroinvestor.com and valutakurser.dk from listed Euroinvestor.com A/S.
- Advising Radio24Syv A/S on regulatory aspects of the new political media agreement between the government and political parties in Denmark for the period 2019 – 2027 concerning the future media policies and regulatory framework, public service, state aid and the placement of Radio24Syv A/S.
- Assisted TV2 with the preparation for compliance with GDPR.
The practice at DLA Piper Denmark advises record labels, artists, music management companies and clients from the film industry on regulatory matters, remuneration and the drafting and negotiation of contracts and licensing agreements. The team is also experienced in acting for sports clubs on debt collection proceedings, bailiff meetings and court cases. Practice head Jens Krogh Petersen regularly assists music bands and has expertise in copyright infringement disputes.
Jens Krogh Petersen
Other key lawyers:
Joachim Kundert Jensen
Danish Documentary Production
- Advising Lukas Graham on album releases, including negotiating and drafting of several agreements surrounding the release.
- Assisting Volbeat with negotiating and drafting agreements surrounding the production of a live DVD and album.
- Advising Danish pop-sensation Christopher on contract negotiations.
Lundgrens has expertise in advising media clients on matters including music, film, and video games, as well as the drafting and negotiation of licensing arrangements and in the handling of employment and tax matters. The firm is also experienced in handling copyright and trade mark aspects. Practice head Morten Rosenmejer regularly advises on media M&A.
Moalem Weitemeyer Bendtsen is experienced in advising on sports law matters such as player transfers, as well as in the drafting and negotiation of music and film production contracts. Pernille Nørkær is the practice head and assists with M&A transactions in the media and IT sectors. The firm’s areas of expertise also involve assisting with dispute resolution, especially in connection with IP matters such as copyright infringements.
‘The team provides practical hands-on advice, taking into consideration both the legal and non-legal aspects of the case at hand. The team is responsive and business-minded in its approach while always taking into account applicable legal requirements.’
‘Pernille Nørkær is highly professional and highly experienced.’
Day Birger Mikkelsen
Flatirons Denmark A/S
GN Store Nord
MUSIC Group Macao Commercial Offshore Limited (Philippines) ROHQ
Park Lane Ltd.
Risma Systems A/S
FC Nordsjælland A/S
HBO Nordic AB
- Representing FC Nordsjælland with disputes related to international player transfers and agent agreements.
- Assisting Minitebi A/S with business strategy planning.
- Advising CO/PLUS A/S on compliance matters.
The practice at NJORD Law Firm has expertise in advising on the drafting and negotiation of commercial, corporate and employment contracts in the media and entertainment industry. Jeppe Brogaard Clausen is experienced in handling copyright issues for music and film producers as well as on providing regulatory advice on entertainment law. Copyright matters include the representation of rights holders against internet service providers and file sharing platforms.
Jeppe Brogaard Clausen
HBO (Home Box Office Ltd and HBO Nordic)
Copyright Management Services Ltd
Rovio Entertainment Oy
Philips Denmark A/S
- Representing rights holders in a filesharing dispute against two Internet service providers.
- Representing film producers in more than 100 successful cases regarding information injunctions against ISPs.
- Representing Zentropa in four successful cases regarding information injunctions against ISPs.