The media and entertainment team at Bech-Bruun is praised for its ‘exceptional ability to understand both the legal and market situation’. The team is well known for its expertise in the music and film sectors and is expert at handling issues relating to distributions via traditional media and online streaming platforms. The group advises on the full gamut of corporate and commercial work, including industry agreements and licensing matters, as well as dispute resolution. Practice co-head Niels M. Andersen has extensive experience within the music industry, while fellow practice head Claus Aagaard Nielsen handles M&A work.
Media and entertainment in Denmark
Niels M. Andersen; Claus Aagaard Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Claus Barrett Christiansen; Johnny Petersen; Joachim Bjerregaard
‘I think Bech-Bruun is original in their way of attacking each task. All the time they are open to new thinking and always on the ball.’
‘Good service. Clever people. Short and precise answers to my many questions.’
‘Have in-house knowledge and experience that can provide advice and solutions in many areas.’
‘High knowledge and exceptional ability to understand both the legal and the market situation. Niels M. Andersen and Joachim Bjerregaard form a strong team that immediately provides solid answers.’
‘Bech-Brunn truly understands our needs and challenges and therefore assists us in a super professional way – simple, effective and well balanced. We can rely on them.’
The Motion Picture Licensing Corporation
NEP Denmark A/S
Nordic Entertainment Group Denmark A/S
- Represented The Motion Picture Licensing Corporation, a leading copyright licensing agency, in a lawsuit against the Danish rights organisation Copydan AVU medier concerning unfair marketing – and competition practices towards educational institutions with respect to the amount of movie rights offered; and advising the client regarding new copyright legislation on transmission and ancillary rights in connection with implementation of the DSM and SatCab directives in Danish law.
- Represented Danish racing driver Kevin Magnussen in an appeal case against his former manager regarding share of income.
- Represented Royal Unibrew in relation to the use of the famous Danish rock band Jung’s music in extensive TV advertising and an upcoming TV show, advising on the drafting of agreements and assisted with legal advice on public performance, music authors, society KODA, clearance of rights, etc.
Kromann Reumert acts on behalf of clients within the sports, media and entertainment sectors in high-profile court cases. The group has developed a niche offering in esports work, representing the first-ever independent association of professional players in esports as well as a number of individual players. Practice head Martin Dahl Pedersen has extensive expertise in drafting and advising on both sides of sponsorship agreements as well as significant litigation experience.
‘The team is extremely well prepared and always very fast to understand the clients primary problems. They are also easily accessible and respond fast.’
‘Very, very skilled with integrity and a pragmatic no-nonsense approach and a strong understanding of our needs as a client.’
‘The Kromann Reumert IPR team is highly experienced and excellent legal advisers, good colleagues and easy to work with.’
‘Martin Dahl Pedersen is a very strong no-nonsense Media & Entertainment lawyer who cuts to the point and sees the bigger picture. Martin is an experienced litigator with the ability to calmly communicate complex problems in an understandable manner in a stressful environment.’
Danish Players Association
Danish Handball Players Association
Counter-Strike Professional Players Association
- Representing the owner of the Danish gossip magazine “SE og HØR”, Aller Media, in high profile litigation initiated by numerous Danish celebrities claiming damages for intrusion of their right of privacy.
- Represented the rightsholder Martinus Institute to the so called “The Third Testament” in a copyright litigation matter, relating to the use of Article 9 of the ECHR protecting the freedom of religion for acquittal.
- Represents JP/Politikens Hus in civil proceedings that the Danish Civil Security Service (PET) has initiated against JP/Politikens Hus regarding the distribution of alleged confidential state secrets.
Lassen Ricard is prominent within copyright and media law. The team advises a large number of Danish and foreign television broadcasters and production companies and has a broad practice that covers Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Estonia. Practice head Peter Lambert is well known for his media expertise and has extensive experience in litigation and arbitration proceedings. Other names to note within the team are Steen Lassen and Henrik Schütze; the latter primarily focuses on commercial law and advises on strategies for protection or exploitation of rights under copyright, trade mark, patent and marketing legislation. Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Steen Lassen; Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup; Henrik Schütze
‘The team has a very high knowledge of the media industry in Denmark and the other Scandinavian countries. Their expertise in the field of copyright and collective licensing of rights should be particularly mentioned. The team is service-minded and has high availability.’
‘Besides the head of the team Steen Lasson, Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup has shown excellent legal skills and constructive in solving urgent copyright and licensing-related matters.’
TV 2 Denmark
TV 2 Norway
VG Media rep. Sat1 and Pro7
Plesner handles the full gamut of media and entertainment matters and advises several high-profile clients, including major film distribution companies and cinema owners as well as film advertising production companies. The group is also active in disputes, with Kasper Frahm litigating several IP and media disputes. Practice head Emil Jurcenoks is regularly instructed by celebrities and tabloid magazines in Denmark.
Other key lawyers:
GF Forsikring A/S
J.H. Schultz Information A/S
IO Interactive A/S
Metronome Productions A/S
Omnicom Media Group
Endemol Shine Group
- Represented GF Forsikring A/S, a Danish consumer-owned insurance company, in an infringement case brought by the press service media provider VOCAST.
- Assisting Omnicom Media Group, a large international group of media agencies providing customers, with a precision marketing and insights platform, with various IP aspects.
- Assisting Veo Technologies, the company behind the ground-breaking artificial intelligence VEO camera which can record and analyse various sports matches, with various IP aspects.
Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab
Peer B. Petersen and Mogens Dyhr Vestergaard lead the media and entertainment team at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab. It advises Danish and international businesses on all aspects of IP law and handles transactional and contentious matters within media law. The group also has gambling expertise, with Mikkel Taanum advising a number of gambling operators and platform providers in Denmark and Sweden. Morten Rosenmejer is noted for his sports industry expertise.
Peer B. Petersen; Mogens Dyhr Vestergaard
Other key lawyers:
Morten Rosenmejer; Mikkel Taanum
Sony Music Entertainment A/S
Meta Film A/S
SAM Productions ApS
M2 Film A/S
Flex Music ApS
Bonnier Publications A/S
- Assisting Sony Music on an ongoing basis in its attempts to transform and adapt its business to meet the demands of the ever-developing changes in technology and the demands of the consumers.
- Assisted SAM Productions in the negotiation and drafting of agreements with broadcasters, financiers and international TV distributors on the production, launching and distribution of several new international TV series.
- Assisting META Film on an ongoing basis in matters where titles and content of film productions on the drawing board potentially could involve trade mark and other IP rights conflicts.
DLA Piper Denmark
Jointly led by Jens Krogh Petersen and Joachim Kundert Jensen, the team at DLA Piper Denmark is instructed by music artists, record companies and documentary filmmakers on a variety of issues. The group also has extensive experience within the sports sector as well as assisting gambling companies, including online betting and casino websites. Litigation specialists complete the team, representing clients in infringement cases and anti-piracy matters.
Jens Krogh Petersen; Joachim Kundert Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Marlene Winther Plas; Peter Rønnow
‘Together this team can cover all questions I have. Working in the entertainments business, my clients often need help with more than just the normal label or publishing deals, and DLA can always provide the right people to each task.’
‘They have more knowledge and always find the time and headspace to understand my situation and to come with the right solutions.’
‘The Media and Entertainment industry in Denmark is rather small and there is only a limited amount of skilled and experienced practices. DLA Piper has proven its’ unique skill set for many years now.’
‘The skillset and experience is generated from the long experience and competencies of Jens Krogh Petersen.’
Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/S
Danish Documentary Production
Simon Jul Jørgensen
Sportsway AB (Sweden)
Years from now
Soundford Limited (HongKong)
Warner Music Denmark
ITV Studios International
ITV Studios Entertainment
United Stage ApS
- Assisting Danish Documentary Production in relation to the production (with National Geographic) of Oscar-nominated documentary, The Cave, a documentary series about the catastrophic fire on-board the Scandinavian Star ferry and an upcoming Netflix-production.
- Assisting pop music group Lukas Graham with infringement cases, touring agreements, producer agreements.
- Assisting the Danish football club Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/S, one of the major teams in the Danish Premier League listed on NASDAQ.
The multi-disciplinary media and entertainment team at Gorrissen Federspiel specialises in streaming issues, publisher rights, music rights and movie production matters. The group advises on issues relating to media content, licenses, regulatory matters and competition law issues as well as financings and litigation. IP specialist Lasse Skaarup Christensen leads the team.
Lasse Skaarup Christensen
Dansk Artist Forbund (The Danish Artist Union)
Jysk Fynske Medier
Det Nordjyske Mediehus
Musikforlæggerne (Danish Professional Music Publishers Association)
- Representing the Danish Professional Music Publishers Association in a third party intervention in a copyright action before the Danish Supreme Court.
- Representing a major Danish publishing house in a principle dispute regarding digital rights.
- Acting for Nordjyske Medier in a libel dispute against Huy Duc Nguyen concerning two articles published by Nordjyske Medier.
Mazanti-Andersen‘s broad media and entertainment practice specialises in internet-based distribution forms, social media issues and licensing law. Led by Nina Henningsen, the group also has deep expertise in gaming and gambling legislation, representing major stakeholders in this area including leading operators, platform providers, affiliates and payment service providers. The strength of the group is reflected in its high-profile clients, which include Bet365 and Netflix.
Mood Media International
Regional TV2 stations
Scandinavian film fund
Turner Broadcasting LTD
- Representing international TV stations and SVOD providers in complex principle negotiations with Koda and other collecting societies regarding equitable remuneration for clearance of copyright.
- Advising Scandinavian Film Funds regarding the formation of a Scandinavian feature film investment fund.
- Advised both international online gambling operators as well as other stakeholders including media clients on matters concerning major marketing campaigns carried out in connection with UEFA soccer tournament EURO 2020 taking place during summer 2021.
Bruun & Hjejle
Advising on a wide array of media law issues, the team at Bruun & Hjejle acts for clients in defamation and privacy lawsuits, assists with IP matters and handles marketing initiatives. Major Danish newspapers, television stations and online media companies make up the practice’s stellar client base, which also includes TV2 Danmark. Morten Stadil is the department head.
Clear Channel Danmark
Euroinvestor (Berlingske Media)
B.T. (Berlingske Media)
Kulturradio Danmark A/S (Radio Loud)
Weekendavisen (Berlingske Media)
- Advised Berlingske Media in connection with the establishment of a nationwide distribution company through the merger of Bladkompagniet and DAO.
- Advised Berlingske Media on the takeover of the remaining 30% shares in BTMX.
- Acting for TV2 Danmark in two follow-on proceedings before the Danish High Court, filed by NENT (formerly Viasat) and Discovery (formerly SBS TV).
Specialising in technology, media and entertainment, CO:PLAY is considered to be ‘the absolute leading team within the gaming industry’. The group represents major players within the video games sector, advising on video game law, investments and international development agreements; Robert Jønsson is an expert in this area. Under the leadership of Heidi Højmark Helveg, the practice also has a strong contentious arm, handling defamation, invasion of privacy, and right of publicity cases.
Heidi Højmark Helveg
Other key lawyers:
Robert Jønsson; Michael Brandt
‘The team has a unique ability to communicate at eye level with people both to ensure goals are met towards the expectations and as well that we as clients have a full understanding of the aspect of agreements, proceedings etc.’
‘They constantly make sure to be on top of the industry they are working with and are participating in sector conferences with the clients to stay up to date with the state of the art.’
‘I have not experienced a more dedicated legal team towards doing anything in their power to reach their clients’ goals.’
‘This is the absolute leading team within the gaming industry.’
Ghost Ship Games ApS
Other Tales Interactive ApS
Bright Star Studios ApS
Logic Artists ApS
Rovio Copenhagen ApS
Die Gute Fabrik ApS
Langkjær Entertainment P/S
Lion Entertainment A/S
Sigrid Dyekjær (Siggi Production)
- Representing Naser Khader, a Danish member of parliament, in a case involving fundamental principles regarding freedom of speech/libel law, constitutional law, parliamentary immunity, etc.
- Advised Triband ApS, a Danish video game development studio, on its launch of the commercially successful ‘What The Golf!’ and assisted with distribution/publishing agreements for all major platforms and all other legal work of the company.
- Advising Langkjær Entertainment on the setting up of the high-scale musical Bodyguard the Musical including negotiations and agreements with rights’ holders, venues, actors, musicians, technical vendors and in the co-production agreement with Live Nation.
Horten advises on the full range of media and entertainment issues, with a particular specialism in internet-based distribution forms; the team assists clients with the negotiation of distribution and licence agreements as well as advising on the legal challenges in connection with e-books. It has also expertise in social media matters and the online gaming market. Litigator and IP expert Asger Heine Jensen heads up the practice.
Asger Heine Jensen
‘Skills and experience within our area of business is rock solid.’
‘Asger H. Jensen is professional, strategically solid, with national and international experience. A one-man-army of its own. Having him along with you gives the back-up one can dream of.’
‘Hands-on advice by a great team!’
North Media A/S
The City of Copenhagen
- Represented Ejendomsfonden Spritten and the world-renowned artist Tómas Saraceno regarding his creation of a monumental art work in his Cloud City universe and obtained injunctive relief against commercial exploitation of the Cloud City brand.
- Assisted Kiloo with strategic advice and instructing local counsel in the landmark class actions filed against Kiloo, Disney and Viacom last year (pending before the United States District Court, Northern District of California).
- Represented the City of Copenhagen in respect to the 12-month postponement of the UEFA EURO 2020 tournament, as well as advising Grand Depart Copenhagen Denmark 2021 I/S, an entity consisting of The City of Copenhagen, four other municipalities and the Danish Ministry of Business, on hosting the Tour de France’s extremely prestigious Grand Depart in Denmark in 2021.
Lundgrens has experience across a broad range of media and entertainment sectors, including the esports and wider sports industries, as well as traditional and digital media. The department also houses experts in data protection, IP and technology mandates. Practice head Søren Danelund Reipurth is an esports expert and a regular adviser to the music industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their ability to quickly pull together specialists in different areas and can associate with the problem quickly and effectively.’
‘Another quality is their flexibility and understanding of urgency. I can contact my adviser 24 hours a day almost and not be worried that I will be billed outrageous but taken seriously.’
- Advising Danish BLAST, the company behind the worldwide Counter-Strike: Global Offensive tournament BLAST Premier, in relation to various intellectual property matters.
- Advised Danish football player Joachim Andersen on his contract with Stellar Group and his transfers to Lyon, Fulham F.C. and Crystal Palace.
- Representing Moodagent, a new international music streaming service that creates playlists based on the listener’s mood, in all matters pertaining to intellectual property rights.
Noted for its expertise in the gambling industry, Moalem Weitemeyer advises a number of gambling companies on a range of issues, including the establishment of betting shops, advertising issues, and obtaining and renewing gambling licenses. Led by Pernille Nørkær, the team also has extensive expertise in the sports sector.
‘Strong knowledge and expertise.’
‘Always available and answer fast. Solves all issues we have with quality and dedication.’
Day Birger Mikkelsen
Risma Systems A/S
FC Nordsjælland A/S
HBO Nordic AB
Birger Christensen A/S
Astralis Group A/S
- Advising Astralis Group A/S on multiple ongoing IP-licensing and cooperation agreements.
- Advising Group 888 on ongoing marketing and regulatory compliance issues relating to its operations in Denmark, including maintenance of gambling license.
- Advising FC Nordsjælland A/S on various strategic and commercial aspects of its businesses.
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm‘s media, sports and entertainment team has carved out a niche in the area of illegal file sharing, assisting film producers and other IP rights holders with protecting copyrighted material. Practice head Jeppe Brogaard Clausen has extensive experience in international IP issues, litigation and enforcement matters as well as counterfeit and passing off cases.
Jeppe Brogaard Clausen
HBO (Home Box Office Ltd and HBO Nordic)
Copyright Management Services Ltd
Rovio Entertainment Oy
Philips Denmark A/S
- Represented CMS in a case of illegal file sharing with a number of domestic and international rights holders against two of the largest internet service providers in Denmark.
- Represented CMS and a large number of film producers in more than 100 successful cases regarding information injunctions against the largest ISPs in Sweden.
- Represented Zentropa in four successful cases regarding information injunctions against the largest ISPs in Sweden.