Bech-Bruun primarily advises its high-profile client roster on issues concerning the distribution of film and music via radio, TV, cinema and online streaming methods. It has extensive experience in commercial contracts and IP, acting for individual right holders, record companies, broadcasters and advertising agencies; the group also handles industry agreements, licensing matters, dispute resolution and transactional work. Leading the practice, Niels M. Andersen specialises in the enforcement of IP rights, including copyrights in musical works, games and motion pictures. Other names to note include antitrust expert Simon Evers Hjelmborg and Claus Barrett Christiansen.
Media and entertainment in Denmark
Niels M. Andersen
Other key lawyers:
Claus Barrett Christiansen; Simon Evers Hjelmborg; Johnny Petersen
‘Very skilled and accommodating team dedicated to simple and fast processes. Always easy to reach.’
‘Committed, knowledge and have the ability to anticipate the situation.’
‘Working with senior attorneys makes everything easier and more agile. A pragmatic approach along with the capacity to grasp complexity.‘
Motion Picture Licensing Company Denmark A/S
Nordic Entertainment Group AB
Digital Hub Denmark
Modern Times Group AB
- Representing the Motion Picture Licensing Company in a lawsuit against the Danish rights organisation Copydan AVU medier.
- Acted for Formula 1 driver Kevin Magnussen in a lawsuit concerning commercial matters relating to a management contract.
- Acted for Nordic Entertainment Group TV in a principal case regarding the calculation of damages due to illegal use of copyright-protected content in a TV commercial.
Kromann Reumert is regularly instructed by media, entertainment and sports clients on contentious and non-contentious matters, primarily focusing on regulatory frameworks and press, defamation, anti-doping, criminal, copyright, sports and entertainment legislation. The team is led by Martin Dahl Pedersen, who also drafts sponsorship agreements and has conducted cases before Danish and international courts, arbitration tribunals and commissions, including the European Court of Justice, the International Court of Arbitration for Sport and national and international complaints boards for domain names.
Martin Dahl Pedersen
Danish Players Association
Danish Handball Players Association
Counter-Strike Professional Players Association
- Defended the Danish newspaper Politiken in a high-profile injunction and subsequent criminal proceedings in respect of breach of the injunction, which was obtained by The Danish Civil Security Service against the publication of a book.
- Represented the owner of the Danish gossip magazine “SE og HØR”, Aller Media, in Supreme Court litigation initiated by a Danish member of the European Parliament claiming damages for the intrusion of his rights of privacy.
- Represented the publishing company Gyldendal in a defamation case initiated by a former Danish spy for GDR for accusations in a book that the Dane had been spying for GDR before the Berlin Wall was destroyed in 1989.
With a wide-ranging Nordic practice, Lassen Ricard counts major Danish and European broadcasters, as well as web and radio-based media companies on its clients roster, which it advises on digital copyright issues, media law-related matters, licence agreements and the provision of on-demand online streaming services. Henrik Schütze and practice head Peter Lambert specialise in litigation concerning media liabilities, equitable remuneration, freedom of expression issues and privacy protection. Steen Lassen and Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup have vast experience advising broadcasters on contracts with TV distributors relating to retransmissions and linear distributions.
Other key lawyers:
Steen Lassen; Kristina Blichfeldt Lautrup; Henrik Schütze
TV 2 Denmark
TV 2 Norway
VG Media rep. Sat1 and Pro7
- Representing DR in a number of libel litigation cases and cases regarding privacy protection which are pending before both the district courts and the Court of Appeal, and all of which regard the media’s freedom of expression.
- Representing DR in litigation instigated by the music collecting rights society Koda before the Danish Copyright Licence Tribunal concerning Koda’s claim for extra remuneration for DR’s public performance.
- Assisting UBO on an ongoing basis – UBOD in Denmark, UBON in Norway, UBOS in Sweden, UBOI in Iceland and UBOE in Estonia – with contracts with the largest TV distributors on retransmission, i.e. linear distribution.
While Plesner's practice is well versed in the drafting and negotiation of licensing agreements, mainly for film distribution companies, cinema owners, film advertisement production companies and technology companies, the group is especially active in IP-related disputes. In particular, Kasper Frahm is acting for GF Forsikring A/S in a noteworthy infringement case brought by the press service media provider VOCAST against its competitor Ritzau and the client. Another name to note is practice head Emil Jurcenoks, who regularly acts for celebrities and tabloid magazines in data protection and freedom of press matters.
Other key lawyers:
GF Forsikring A/S
J.H. Schultz Information A/S
IO Interactive A/S
Metronome Productions A/S
Endemol Shine Group
- Representing GF Forsikring A/S in an infringement case brought by the press service media provider VOCAST against its competitor Ritzau and Ritzau’s customer, GF Forsikring A/S.
- Acted for J.H. Schultz Information A/S in a high-profile trade mark case concerning the use of trade marks for two competing law information services.
- Advising IO Interactive A/S, the Danish company behind the world-renowned computer game Hitman, on matters related to IP and entertainment.
Peer B. Petersen leads the team at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab, which handles a range of cross-border IP and regulatory issues in the media and entertainment space. Petersen is experienced in copyright law and infringement cases in the film and music industries; senior counsel Mogens Dyhr Vestergaard focuses on IP-focused transactional matters, and senior associate Mikkel Taanum specialises in gambling mandates.
Peer B. Petersen
Other key lawyers:
Mogens Dyhr Vestergaard; Mikkel Taanum
Sony Music Entertainment A/S
M2 Film A/S
Flex Music ApS
Bonnier Publications A/S
- Assisting Sony Music on an ongoing basis with its attempts to transform and adapt its business to meet the demands of the ever-developing changes in technology and the demands of the consumers.
- Assisting SAM Productions with the negotiation and drafting of agreements with broadcasters, financiers and international TV distributors on the production, launch and distribution of several new international TV series.
- Assisting META Film on an ongoing basis with matters where titles and content of film productions on the drawing board potentially could involve trade mark and other IP rights conflicts.
The cross-practice media and entertainment group at Gorrissen Federspiel runs the gamut of media and entertainment mandates, including non-contentious advice and disputes concerning live streaming, TV distribution, published work, social media, music rights and movie productions. Experienced media and entertainment litigator Christian Alsøe, competition specialist Erik Kjær-Hansen and IP expert Lasse Skaarup Christensen jointly lead the practice, giving the firm interdisciplinary expertise in the media sector.
Christian Alsøe; Erik Kjær-Hansen; Lasse Skaarup Christensen
JP/Politikens Hus A/S
Danish Artist Association
Danish Football League Association
Jysk Fynske Medier P/S
- Represented HBO Nordic in a dispute concerning the level of the tariff charged by the Danish Collective Rights Management Society, KODA, for use of musical rights on HBO Nordic’s Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD) streaming services.
- Acting for Nordjyske Medier in a libel dispute against Huy Duc Nguyen concerning two articles published by Nordjyske Medier in the spring of 2019.
- Representing Puerto 80 Projects SLU in a lawsuit against La Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional after the organisation took legal action to block the client’s domain, which hosts users’ live streams of sports events.
Horten's expertise lies at the intersection of IP, digital and media law, particularly in new distribution methods for music, film, radio and television. It has experience assisting with the negotiation of distribution and licence agreements, the organisation of large-scale events and concerts, and copyright issues. Practice head Asger Heine Jensen regularly advises game developers. Nina Henningsen left the practice in 2019 to join Mazanti-Andersen.
Asger Heine Jensen
Other key lawyers:
North Media A/S
The City of Copenhagen
- Advising Storytel following its merger with Mofibo, a competitor in the audio book streaming market.
- Assisting Kiloo with strategic advice and instructing local counsel in the landmark class actions filed against Kiloo, Disney and Viacom relating to online advertising to children in app games.
- Representing the City of Copenhagen in relation to the 12-month postponement of the UEFA EURO 2020 tournament due to Covid-19, and advising Grand Depart Copenhagen Denmark 2021 I/S (an entity consisting of The City of Copenhagen, four other municipalities and the Danish Ministry of Business) on hosting the Tour de France’s Grand Depart in Denmark in 2021.
Following her recruitment from Horten in late 2020, Nina Henningsen heads up Mazanti-Andersen’s media and entertainment practice, which specialises in internet-based distribution, social media-related matters and licensing issues. The department also advises clients on the drafting and negotiation of media and entertainment contracts involving publishers, TV and music production, as well as licensing agreements concerning sports rights and the broadcasting of sports events. Henningsen frequently assists large domestic and international media companies, as well as gambling providers.
‘Leading specialised knowledge combined with humanity and empathy. It truly makes them a preferred partner and leading player.’
‘Headed by Nina Henningsen, the team provides trustworthy and clear advice. Very well connected in the business and with relating to regulators.’
‘Nina Henningsen is very experienced and has deep knowledge.’
Mood Media International
Turner Broadcasting LTD
The regional TV2 Stations
Scandinavian film fund
Odense Handball Club
BML Group (Betsafe/Betsson/NordicBet)
Regional TV2 stations
- Advised international TV stations and SVOD providers in complex principle negotiations with Koda and other collecting societies regarding equitable remuneration for clearance of copyright.
- Advising Scandinavian Film Funds on the formation of a Scandinavian feature film investment fund.
- Representing LeoVegas Gaming Ltd in a Central Court case regarding the Danish Football Association’s rights to limit its team players in making ambassador agreements.
Led by Morten Stadil, Bruun & Hjejle's practice is instructed by Danish newspapers, television stations and online media companies on an array of media issues. More specifically, the group handles defamation and privacy litigation, complaints to the Danish Press Council, IP-related mandates, and general M&A, corporate and commercial issues. Stadil also has experience advising on regulations governing the activities of IT and media companies.
Clear Channel Danmark
- Advised Berlingske Media on the takeover of a number of radio programmes, programme formats and IP from the now closed public service radio channel Radio24syv.
- Advised Berlingske Media on the restructuring of daily newspaper B.T. from print to online.
- Acting for TV2/Danmark in two follow-on proceedings before the Danish High Court, filed by NENT (formerly Viasat) and Discovery (formerly SBS TV).
Under the leadership of Heidi Højmark Helveg, CO:PLAY's media and entertainment capabilities were strengthened in 2020, when the firm merged with Integra Law Firm. Robert Jønsson has particular experience in the video games sector; he advises game development studios on investments, development and publishing agreements, as well as studio contracts. The group also has expertise in media litigation concerning defamation, invasion of privacy and rights of publicity issues.
Heidi Højmark Helveg
Other key lawyers:
Ghost Ship Games ApS
Other Tales Interactive ApS
Langkjær Entertainment P/S
Lion Entertainment A/S
- Representing a Danish member of parliament in a case involving fundamental principles regarding freedom of speech/libel law, constitutional law, parliamentary immunity, etc.
- Advised Danish video game development studio Triband ApS on distribution and publishing agreements for all major platforms, as well as all other legal work for the company.
- Advised Langkjær Entertainment on the establishment of the high-scale musical Bodyguard the Musical, including negotiations and agreements with rights’ holders, venues, actors, musicians, technical vendors and the co-production agreement with Live Nation.
At DLA Piper Denmark, the media and entertainment group's capabilities encompass handling regulatory issues, remuneration work, commercial contracts and licensing agreements, most notably in the music and film industries. Key clients include record labels, artists, music management companies and film industry entities. Practice head Jens Krogh Petersen regularly assists music artists with record contracts, publishing deals and copyright infringement disputes.
Jens Krogh Petersen
Other key lawyers:
Joachim Kundert Jensen
‘The company is totally committed to cultural events. We have used their services for many years. Our contact person always takes an interest in our business, is always quick to respond and professional in his advice and attitude.’
‘The team has been indispensable under Covid-19, where we have had to make clauses to all our performer and sponsor contracts.’
‘Unique experience and knowledge about our industry.’
Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/S
Danish Documentary Production
Simon Jul Jørgensen
- Assisting Danish Documentary Production in relation to the production (with National Geographic) of Oscar nominated documentary, The Cave.
- Assisted Dansk Metal with its sponsorship agreements in sports; in 2019/2020, this included a two-year sponsorship with the Tour De France.
- Assisting the Danish live booking agency Copenhagen Music with numerous legal issues arising from the Covid-19 outbreak.
Lundgrens’ client roster ranges from traditional clients including sportspeople, TV and film production companies and music labels to digital media companies including gaming, e-sports and gambling clients. In particular, the group specialises in licensing arrangements, M&A work, tax matters, and copyright and trade mark issues. Søren Danelund Reipurth, who was promoted to partner in mid-2020, leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very talented team that is excellent at bringing best practice to the table. I have one contact person that is responsible for ALL teams that I can go back to at any time which is important for me and this person I more or less can contact 24 hours a day, which is also extremely important for me.’
‘Accessible all the time and and take responsibility for the team and the office. My contact is Christian Scherfig who does stand out on making things happen.’
Bauer Media A/S
Land-based Gambling Association Denmark
- Assisted the management of Astralis in connection with the buy-out of the team from its former owners.
- Advising Genting on its €15m deal to acquire LeoVegas’ (B2B) live dealer solutions subsidiary Authentic Gaming.
- Acted for Mikkel Kessler, a former world champion in boxing, on negotiations with broadcasters and production companies relating to new seasons of a popular television show.
Moalem Weitemeyer has a notable track record in a range of regulatory issues, corporate transactions and dispute resolution matters for media and entertainment clients, which includes professional sports clubs, gambling operators and music producers and writers. Key areas of strength for the group, which is led by Pernille Nørkær, include commercial contracts, licensing agreements, copyright and trade mark issues, M&A transactions and data protection compliance matters.
Day Birger Mikkelsen
Flatirons Denmark A/S
MUSIC Group Macao Commercial Offshore Limited
Risma Systems A/S
FC Nordsjælland A/S
HBO Nordic AB
Birger Christensen A/S
Astralis Group A/S
- Advising Astralis Group A/S on multiple ongoing IP licensing and cooperation agreements, including a sponsorship agreement with Hummel, a major Danish sports and fashion brand.
- Advising Group 888 on ongoing marketing and regulatory compliance for its operations in Denmark.
- Advising FC Nordsjælland A/S on the various strategic and commercial aspects of its businesses.
Headed up by Jeppe Brogaard Clausen, the team at NJORD Law Firm has recently has a particular focus on illegal file-sharing cases, representing IP rights holders including film producers in copyright infringement claims and information injunction cases against domestic and Nordic internet service providers. The team also advises media and entertainment clients on commercial, corporate and employment contracts.
Jeppe Brogaard Clausen
HBO (Home Box Office Ltd and HBO Nordic)
Copyright Management Services Ltd
Rovio Entertainment Oy
Philips Denmark A/S
- Represented a number of domestic and international rights holders against two of the largest internet service providers in Denmark in a case concerning illegal file sharing.
- Represented a large number of film producers in more than 100 successful cases regarding information injunctions against the largest internet service providers in Sweden.
- Represented Zentropa in four successful cases regarding information injunctions against the largest internet service providers in Sweden.