Bech-Bruun is a market leader for patent work and houses the ‘best life sciences practice in Denmark’. It is also prominent in trade marks, design issues and marketing work, with practice co-head Claus Barrett Christiansen being an expert in this area. Mikkel Friis Rossa jointly leads the team with Christiansen, who is also a key practitioner of the firm’s Chinese desk, representing Chinese multinationals on all aspects of IP, with a focus on online sales. The group also has significant expertise in tech transfers, transactional work and licensing issues, with Dan Bjerg Geary taking the lead on these mandates. For patent infringement cases, Klaus Ewald Madsen is recommended.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Intellectual property in Denmark
Claus Barrett Christiansen; Mikkel Friis Rossa
Other key lawyers:
Klaus Ewald Madsen; Martin Dræbye Gantzhorn; Dan Bjerg Geary; Louise Thornemann
‘The best life sciences practice in Denmark. the very high degree of knowledge on statutory law, industry practice. Understands the market. Efficient and easy to work with.’
‘Martin Dræbye Gantzhorn is an excellent life sciences regulatory lawyer, the best in Denmark.’
‘The team excels in readily usable advice and a commercial mindset. Availability is great and the legal and technical competencies are wide-ranging within the relevant technology fields.’
‘Dan Bjerg Geary is our go-to guy in IP and licensing. His understanding of the renewable industry is striking and he always delivers solid advice. Dan performs great in court and goes all the way for his clients. He is arguably one of the dominant individuals in the IP landscape.’
‘They are fast, competent and have a commercial mindset. Compared to other companies I have worked with, they are unique both because of their knowledge and skills, creative thinking and problem-solving approach.’
‘It is with great pleasure I write this reference for Claus Barrett Christiansen, Louise Thornemann and the whole Bech-Bruun team. They are outstanding professional lawyers that provide us with legal advice of a very high-quality at a worldwide level. Very few, if any, lawyers have the global knowledge, experience, professionalism and cultural understanding of Mr Christiansen and his team.’
‘Bech-Bruun Denmark has the strongest, most professional, globally focused Intellectual Property practice in the world.’
‘The best IP team I have ever worked with! Proactive, knowledgeable and always reachable.’
‘Klaus Madsen is a fantastic lawyer. As well as having an excellent grip on the case he has consistently delivered clear advice and excellent strategic counselling.’
Nakdcom One World AB
Svendsen Sport A/S
A.P. Møller Maersk Holding
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Moët Hennessy (LVMH)
Bang & Olufsen
Joe and the Juice
- Acting for Samsung Bioepis in a Preliminary Injunction case against Fresenius Kabi, a competitor developer of biosimilars, regarding Samsung Bioepis’ biosimilar of Humira, which is called Imraldi.
- Assisted Chr. Hansen, a global biosciences company, with its acquisition of the German biotech company Jennewin Biotechnologie GmbH.
- Acting for Salling Group, Scandinavia’s largest privately-owned supermarket chain, in a landmark case against the design company Anne Black concerning the interpretation of the originality standard for applied art in the InfoSoc directive at the High Court, and the relation to design protection and marketing law protection.
Gorrissen Federspiel has a broad IP practice, handling data protection work, franchising and marketing law issues and outsourcing matters. Led by Lasse Skaarup Christensen, the team manages trade mark and design portfolios for high-profile organisations and has significant experience in representing clients in cross-border disputes. Kenneth Kvistgaard-Aaholm is the key practitioner for contentious matters. The group has a strong retail, media and entertainment, and energy sector client base, and handles issues at the intersection between technology and IP.
Lasse Skaarup Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Kenneth Kvistgaard-Aaholm; Lars Segato; Søren Høgh Thomsen
‘The team at Gorrissen Federspiel delivers assistance to international clients in a very professional way and defines the correct legal team for each case.’
‘A broad team embedded in a great full-service firm with the right ‘can do’ mentality. Sharp and practical advice, hard on content soft on delivery.’
‘One of the best in Denmark in their field. Very flexible, very well updated on latest practices and strong focus on commercial needs.’
‘Lasse Skaarup Christensen is very commercially driven but has an eagle eye for legal details that may make the difference. He is strategically very strong in litigation and provides strong strategic advice.’
‘The Gorrissen team is very knowledgeable, quick to respond and extremely service-minded. They are always available and provide to-the-point advice.’
‘The players combine excellent juridical skills with unique business understanding and approach.’
‘Extremely accessible, able to deliver on very short notice, very skilled and knowledgeable.’
‘Søren Høgh Thomsen has taken availability, accessibility, communication and speed of high-quality advice to a totally different level. Working with him and his team is like working with an in-house colleague sitting right next door. Only much more expertly skilled in IP matters. Be it contracts; marketing; trade marks; but also disputes: Søren will deliver the highest available quality of advice. And he will do so fast.’
Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping
Vestas Wind Systems
- Representing Simpson Strong-Tie A/S in a patent infringement dispute against ITW Construction Products ApS regarding alleged infringement of one of Simpson Strong-Tie’s patents concerning a method for joining perforated bands or perforated band fittings used in the construction industry.
- Representing eBay Classifieds Scandinavia ApS in a landmark court case concerning scraping by competitors of eBay’s car listings.
- Assisting on the establishment of the Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller Center for Zero Carbon Shipping, a visionary ‘zero carbon’ international research initiative established by the A.P. Møller Foundation and A.P. Møller – Mærsk to focus on finding technologies to limit the carbon output from the maritime industry.
Plesner has a large and growing trade mark prosecution practice, and advises major technology companies on copyright matters as well as acting for design businesses in design and trade mark matters. It is also adept at handling non-contentious IP work, advising clients on IP-related M&A mandates. Kasper Frahm leads the team, which includes Peter-Ulrik Plesner and Sture Rygaard who have extensive experience in patent and trade mark litigation. The group also handles both the enforcement and prosecution of trade marks, designs and product imitations.
Other key lawyers:
Mikkel Vittrup; Sture Rygaard; Nikolai Dokkedahl; Peter-Ulrik Plesner
‘The IP Team at Plesner are always delivering high quality work in a relaxed trust-based atmosphere. Compared to other law firms in Denmark, they have a unique ability to understand the commercial setting in which their clients act.’
‘They can translate complex matters into advice that is easily understood and can be used internally to business stakeholders. All employees are highly skilled within their area of expertise and seniority and always act with high integrity and engagement regardless of the size and complexity of the assignment.’
‘I have primarily worked with associate Nikolai Dokkedahl. Nikolai is a highly skilled lawyer with a profound insight – not only into legal aspects, but also the technical side of patent related matters. He always provide well-founded advice with the commercial implications for the clients in mind.’
‘The Plesner team stand out as the largest patent litigation team in Denmark. They are a preferred choice by several pharma brands and by many other patent owners, eg. within the food industry, hearing aids and many other tech areas. They are thorough, open-minded and innovative in their approach. I think they are excellent at what they do.’
‘Sture Rygaard is a very clever and innovative attorney, who is excellent in seeing and developing, and evaluating new and sometimes game-changing aspects of a case.’
‘Plesner’s IP team is a very skilled and at the same time pragmatic team. They are friendly, easy to work and communicate with and never over-complicate things.’
‘Kasper Frahm – Stands out due to his pragmatic approach and his eagerness to understand our business the needs of our business. HI adapts to our strategy and in that way provides useful advice and not only academic advice.’
The A.P. Moller – Maersk Group
Zebra (Flying Tiger Copenhagen)
Joe & the Juice
Proctor & Gamble
- Assisting H. Lundbeck A/S and as interveners Novo Nordisk A/S and Leo Pharma A/S in a case concerning the implications of the Falsified Medicines Directive on parallel import.
- Assisted GF Forsikring in an infringement case brought by the press service media provider VOCAST.
- Represented Demant in a case against Retune DSP ApS on trade secrets. The case is essential for future assessment of whether an employer has the right to inventions made by the employees.
Reflected in its impressive client roster of international pharmaceuticals companies, Accura Advokatpartnerselskab has significant expertise in the life sciences industry and handles complex IP and regulatory matters. The team also acts on cross-border patent litigation and has substantial experience before the public authorities, the Danish courts and the European Court of Justice. In the area of IP filings and portfolio management, the team is able to file directly before authorities in the Nordic countries and acts as the primary contact and gateway for IP prosecutions in Scandinavia, in addition to the EUIPO and WIPO. Practice head Morten Bruus is an ‘exceptional lawyer’.
Other key lawyers:
Christina Type Jardorf
‘Hands on, thorough advice.’
‘Thinking out of the box, the team is extremely open and creative concerning litigation strategies in view of clients’ business goals.’
‘The team provides excellent advice and customised counselling. Always mindful of costs and work efficiently to accommodate to the clients needs.’
‘Morten Bruus and Christina Type Jardorf are excellent in their respective fields. They are easy to work with and always helpful in resolving any questions.’
‘Morten Bruus is an exceptional lawyer who knows his client’s needs and who has an outstanding business acumen. He is outcome driven and applies thorough and profound legal expertise to reach the goal.’
‘I had the pleasure of working together with partner Morten Bruus and his team in a pan-European patent litigation and was very impressed by the proactive, hands on and pragmatic way of working of the Accura team. Everything they produced was top-notch.’
Saint-Gobain Group (Saint-Gobain Distribution Denmark A/S)
Huawei (Huawei Technologies (Denmark) ApS and Huawei Technologies Sweden AB)
The A.P. Moller Group (A.P. Moller Holding A/S)
Noma restaurant group (covering Noma, Inua, Sanchez/Hija de Sanchez, Barr, and Popl brands)
Oterra (Chr Hansen Natural Colors A/S)
Merck & Co., Inc. (MSD/Merck Sharp & Dohme in Europe)
LEO Pharma A/S
Sanofi Group (Sanofi A/S)
Roche Group (Roche Diagnostics A/S)
Johnson & Johnson AB
Vifor Pharma AG
Zentiva Group, a.s. (Zentiva Denmark ApS)
Daiichi Sankyo Europe GmbH (Daiichi Sankyo Nordics ApS)
Deerland Probiotics & Enzymes A/S (previously Bifodan)
EQT private equity
Reckitt Benckiser (Scandinavia) A/S
Statens Serum Institut (SSI)
NIKE European Operations Netherlands NB (Nike Inc.)
Converse Netherlands BV
Sportswear Company Spa (Stone Island)
Lagkagehuset A/S (Ole&Steen)
Dulong Fine Jewellery A/S
Engelbrechts Furniture A/S
Native Studio ApS / Iso.Poetism
Pas Normal Studios ApS
Samsøe Samsøe Holding A/S
Tellusvitae ApS (VILD NORD)
- Representing MSD in two landmark trade mark litigation cases of EU wide importance pending before the CJEU against parallel importers on the interpretation of the Falsified Medicines Directive and the Trademark Regulation/Directive.
- Assisted private equity fund EQT with the sale of the Fertin Pharma group to Philip Morris International for DKK5.1bn.
- Represented global pharma giant Sanofi in a case before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court, in which the court confirmed that a press release from Novo Nordisk constituted illegal advertising.
The IP team at Kromann Reumert is praised for its ‘second-to-none business and commercial understanding.‘ It specialises in patent litigation and advises on the full gamut of IP law issues. Nicolai Lindgreen heads up the practice and has extensive experience representing clients in patent and trade mark cases before the Danish courts as well as in Danish and international arbitration tribunals. Other key practitioners include Martin Dahl Pedersen and Nicolaj Bording; Pedersen handles media and copyright litigation, while Bording advises on licensing contracts and technology transfers.
Other key lawyers:
Frank Bøggild; Martin Dahl Pedersen; Nicolaj Bording
‘Strategic thinking. Wonderful argument skills.’
‘A truly unique team combining vast experience with a dedication to detail which is second to none. The level of skill when it comes to grasping the complicated technical issues frequently relevant to patent matters never ceases to amaze. The advice provided is always tailored to the specific scenario at hand taking both legal, technical and commercial issues into account.’
‘Nicolaj Bording: He is always truly dedicated to understanding every detail of a patent case, regardless of the level of technical complexity, which at the end of the day makes his advice razor-sharp. If there is a potential squeeze between two otherwise potentially good lines of argumentation, which might at the end of the day end up making these two lines of argumentation look incompatible, he will spot it. His dedication to knowing each and every detail of a case is outstanding.’
‘Very skilled lawyers, very pleasant to work with.’
‘Top class! A sophisticated team who are a pleasure to work with. They are totally reliable, hard working and provide sound advice. Huge levels of experience and a great track record in the IP courts.’
‘Nicolai Lindgreen brings experience and a great depth of legal knowledge to his cases. He is a skilled and successful advocate before the IP courts, bringing creative arguments to bear when required. He is reliable, assured and also a pleasure to work with.’
‘Kromann Reumert has a strong IP team, with a second-to-none business and commercial understanding. The key partners are at the same time very experienced litigators, which is clearly an advantage.’
‘Frank Bøggild and Nicolai Lindgreen: Highly skilled lawyers covering the entire suite of IP issues.’
IFF (formerly DowDuPont/Danisco)
Ceva Santé Animale
- Defended Denmark’s second-largest company, Ørsted, in the Supreme Court in a challenge against its trade mark and company name Ørsted/Orsted.
- Defended Biogen in the Maritime and Commercial Court in a new challenge by Fresenius of Biogen’s adalimumab biosimilar, including its manufacture in Denmark for a much wider market.
- Defended Danisco (IFF) in an appeal in the High Court regarding Novozymes’ challenge of the entitlement to a key Danisco amylase enzyme patent.
The IP and life sciences team at Lundgrens works in close collaboration with the firm’s other departments to deliver a full-service offering in transactional IP and transfer pricing projects. On the contentious side, the team represents national and international companies in a variety of IP disputes before the Danish courts while the non-contentious work involves life sciences regulatory issues and soft IP and marketing law. According to clients, practice head Nina Ringen is ‘one of the best IP lawyers in Denmark.’
‘Delivers above market standard – every time. Very knowledgeable, easily accessible and has a very useful international network for cross-border matters.’
‘Rasmus Vang handles even complex contractual IP matters with a steady hand. Efficiently, on point and on time. Emilie Lerstrøm also stands out as a very talented IP lawyer.’
‘Lundgrens’ IP practice is among the best in Denmark by any standard. All members of the team are talented and experienced and deliver at the highest level. But what makes this team stand out is its impressive level of attention. No matter whom we work with, we can expect to hear from them immediately. Moreover, they always follow up, making sure that we are “ready to go” at our end. When advising, the team always takes into consideration where we are and – even more importantly – where we want to go. These are rare qualities.’
‘Søren Danelund Reipurth is just an amazing adviser. Extremely skilled in IP, Søren is truly a top tier Danish IP lawyer. Moreover, Søren is a true trusted adviser and a great ambassador for our company, which gives him significant edge on the competition. With Søren, you feel that he is part of your team and not “just” an adviser, which is rare.’
‘Lundgrens is the number one choice in Denmark when it comes to IP-related matters. The team at Lundgrens provides excellent legal advice with a practical approach. The team is highly recommended for litigation, prosecutions and IP-transactions.’
‘Our first choice in Denmark within IP enforcement, especially within trade marks and copyrights.’
‘Nina Ringen – one of the very best IP lawyers in Denmark! My go-to-person in Denmark for 10 years. Super good, reliable, extremely likeable and responsive.’
‘All those I meet at Lundgrens go that extra mile for you. They are just brilliant at their job. I have experienced a good business mindset.’
Baum und Pferdgarten
Carl Hansen & Søn
Bauer Media Group
Contour Design Group
- Assisted Les Deux, an international fashion brand, with an IP heavy transaction pertaining to the sale of the majority of the shares in Les Deux to the Swedish investment company Röko.
- Advising world-leading global, integrated security company, G4S, relative to contentious and non-contentious IP related matters.
- Acted for Ilse Jacobsen in multiple copyright disputes relative to its iconic rubber boots before the Danish courts, including the Danish Supreme Court and Western High Court, one of which paved the way for CJEU’s Cofemel judgement in Denmark.
Bugge Valentin is an IP and technology boutique law firm that fields a growing team of experts in domestic and cross-border IP matters and marketing practices. Founders and practice co-heads Jens Jakob Bugge, Anders Valentin and Christian Kragelund are praised for being ‘highly competent and thinking strategically, while pragmatically at the same time.’ Litigation is an area of strength for the group, which is also adept at handling non-contentious issues such as the administration of trade mark and design portfolios.
Jens Jakob Bugge; Anders Valentin; Christian Kragelund
Other key lawyers:
Christian Frydenlund; Patris Hajrizaj
‘The team at Bugge Valentin is commercially focused and responsive, avoiding complex legal jargon and providing advice in a format that is easy for clients to digest.’
‘Excellent in all regards; speed, business acumen, and legal analyses.’
‘Ongoing administration runs smoothly and the team is accessible and efficient in relation to the particular situations that arise ad hoc.’
‘Jens Jakob Bugge is a great all-rounder and very easy to work with. He has a good team behind him on the litigation side, including Patris Hajrizaj who is one of the up and coming junior litigators at the firm.’
‘Anders Valentin, Jens Jakob Bugge and Christian Kragelund are highly competent and think strategically, while pragmatically at the same time.’
‘Christian Frydenlund; rising star with excellent analytical skills. Great problem solver. I can trust him to quickly address and solve any problem that may arise locally.’
The Army Painter ApS
Arne Jacobsen Design
Universal Robots A/S
Orbital Systems AB
Abacus Medicine A/S
Deere & Co
Mobile Industrial Robots (MiR) A/S
MC2 Therapeutics A/S
Hästens Sängar AB
Visma Bluegardens A/S
Japan Tobacco International
Egmont International Holding
- Represented Skechers in a preliminary injunctive appeal proceeding before the Eastern High Court relating to Telia’s obligations as a network operator to block access to websites which infringe the trade marks and copyrights of Skechers.
- Representing Abacus Medicine in three separate disputes before the Maritime and Commercial High Court instigated by MSD and Novartis respectively, regarding the interpretation of the new directive on falsified medicines in conjunction with parallel imports of medicine.
- Representing seven individuals with the family name Ørsted in a dispute regarding the renaming and rebranding of a company name.
DLA Piper Denmark advises on the full spectrum of IP issues, including domain names, patents, trade mark license agreements and issues relating to the distribution of TV and radio channels. Led by Annemette Ellermann Holmbom, the group also acts in high-profile litigation and arbitration proceedings and is adept at advising on all aspects of enforcement actions. Trade mark and design expert Anette Moll Berg is also a key name to note.
Annemette Ellermann Holmbom
Other key lawyers:
Anette Moll Berg
‘The team is very competent and experienced. They are very responsive, flexible and are always available.’
‘The team is very solution-oriented and we are always presented with good and specific advice which is useful for our business.’
‘Very efficient and commercially sound advice from the whole team.’
‘I have worked with Annemette Ellermann for more than 20 years. She is the best!’
Louis Poulsen A/S
M&E Engineering A/S
Normann Copenhagen ApS
Hottinger Brüel & Kjær A/S
Hottinger Baldwin Messtechnik GmbH
Foss Analytical A/S
Phase One A/S
Capture One A/S
Sisters Point A/S
- Acting for the Dutch company Dutch Toys Group in a series of legal proceedings against the Danish company Euro Play ApS.
- Assisted Lejerbo in an infringement matter regarding its LEJERBO house brand and trade mark .
- Assisted the owners of Fredericia Furniture A/S in the acquisition of the Danish manufacturer of high-end furniture Erik Jørgensen A/S.
Horten‘s IP and technology group is jointly led by Asger Heine Jensen and Jakob Krag Nielsen. It has expertise across patents, trade marks and copyright issues, handling both contentious and non-contentious matters. The group is particularly strong in litigation, with Jensen and Nielsen having extensive experience in this area; the latter also advises on the commercialisation of IP rights and the implementation of IP strategies. Jens Grønkjær Sjølander Pihl‘s arrival in April 2021 has bolstered the team’s offering in licensing and IP matters relating to IT law.
Asger Heine Jensen; Jakob Krag Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Jens Grønkjær Sjølander Pihl; Iben Schaumburg
‘Horten is a well-reputed law firm, not least regarding Intellectual property disputes in the Life Sciences/Biotech area. Clients will find themselves very well received at Hortens, and their cases discussed at a high level of comprehension and attention to the tricky points.’
‘Jakob Krag Nielsen: Jakob is extremely experienced and skilled within the area of all IP matters and IP litigation. His approach is very strategic, which enables him to be proactive and always a step ahead even in the most complex litigation. It a clear from working with Jakob that he is genuinely invested in his cases and clients.’
‘Iben Schaumburg: Iben is a very skilled and hardworking attorney. She has a great understanding of both legal and technical aspects and her communicative skills are highly valued when working with her in a team. She is always ready to step in at short notice and brings a great energy to the team.’
‘One aspect that makes Horten’s IP team, including Jakob, particularly nice to work with is that you as the client always feel safe that the advice you are given fits the commercial reality you are facing. Also impressive is Horten’s ability to handle assignments that involve multiple disciplines – which is usually needed in the brave new world of artificial intelligence and big data.’
‘A team with great competencies.’
‘We have a long history of working with Asger Heine Jensen. Asger is very professional, and always very thorough. I always have complete trust in what is being delivered by Asger.’
City of Copenhagen (Municipality of Copenhagen)
Mylan Upjohn, now Viatris
Brugg Rohrsystem AG
- Represented Fresenius Kabi Deutschland GmbH in a multi-venue multi-patent litigation complex involving rights to biosimilar versions of the medicinal product Humira.
- Represented Brugg Rohrsystem AG, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of energy saving equipment, including insulated pipes, in patent litigation against another world leading supplier of the same kind of equipment.
- Represented the City of Copenhagen in respect to the Covid-19 12-month postponement of the UEFA EURO 2020 tournament, as well as advising Grand Depart Copenhagen Denmark 2021 I/S, an entity consisting of The City of Copenhagen, four other municipalities and the Danish Ministry of Business, on hosting the Tour de France’s extremely prestigious Grand Depart in Denmark in 2022.
Lassen Ricard is prominent in the IP sphere and is particularly active on technology-related mandates. It has strength in copyright and media law and assists a large number of television broadcasters and television production companies. The practice also covers Norway, Sweden, Iceland and Estonia, and has been representing the Union of Broadcasting Organisations for more than 35 years. Peter Lambert leads the team and has extensive experience in litigation and arbitration proceedings, and Steen Lassen is also a key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
TV 2 Denmark
TV 2 Norway
VG Media rep. Sat1 and Pro7
Awa Law Advokater ApS
Intellectual property boutique Awa Law Advokater ApS has highly specialised practice groups that focus on specialist industry sectors, including the electronics and software, life sciences and biotechnology, and mechanics and engineering industries. ‘Leading European patent attorney’ Sidsel Hauge and Anette Rasmussen (who focuses on trade marks, domain names and marketing practices) jointly lead the team. Joacim Lydén joined the group from the firm's Stockholm office in 2022.
Sidsel Hauge; Anette Rasmussen
Other key lawyers:
Mette Parlev; Michael Bech Sommer; Mikkel Roed Trier; Joacim Lydén
‘Very good team and with deep insight in our business. Very professional in their work.’
‘AWA has a very strong and broad team of specialists in all areas. This means that they can support on very complex and diverse matters.’
‘AWA is among Denmark’s most competent – if not the most competent – patent agent agencies, and we co-operate with them on multiple matters, both in the context of IP-related transactions and strategic counselling and in the context of patent litigation.’
‘AWA is a very professional and knowledgeable IP firm.’
‘We work directly with Sidsel Hauge, a leading European patent attorney. She is smart, diligent and a strategic thinker with vast experience and practical advice.’
‘Mikkel Roed Trier: Very knowledgeable and service-minded. Perfect partner to discuss strategy with. Deep knowledge into our business and into our products.’
‘Michael Sommer definitely sticks out when it comes to deep competence and also fantastic flexibility. He is also a hard-working individual, will answer phone calls at any time in a very friendly way.’
‘Joacim Lydén is an exceptional attorney. Joacim consistently is our first choice in Europe as he treats every case with such care. Joacim treats our clients as if they were his own and working with him is seamless. We recommend Joacim at every chance.’
ISS World Services A/S
Danapak Flexibles A/S
FERRERO MSC GmbH & Co. KG
Sandoz International GmbH
VKR Holding A/S
MAN Energy Solutions
Comité interprofessionel du vin de Champagne
- Handling trade mark portfolio and clearance work in Denmark for Starbucks.
- Assisting ISS with trade mark strategy and opposition work.
- Securing a granted patent for a leading biotechnology company, which led to a $100m licensing agreement.
Led by Peer B. Petersen, the IP group at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab leverages its international network to effectively handle multi-jurisdictional matters. It assists at all stages of the IP lifecycle, from conducting IP audits to advising on best practice for harnessing the value of IP. The team also has a strong track record in enforcement and litigation strategy and represents music and film industry clients.
Peer B. Petersen
Other key lawyers:
Mogens Dyhr Vestergaard
Sony Music Entertainment A/S
Meta Film A/S
Åndsvidenskabsforlaget (the Spiritual Science Foundation)
SAM Productions ApS
Monster Energy Denmark
DXC Technology Company
M2 Film A/S
Konica Minolta Business Solutions Denmark A/S
- Assisting Sony Music on an ongoing basis with its attempts to transform and adapt its business to meet the demands of the ever-developing changes in technology and the demands of the consumers.
- Assisting META Film on an ongoing basis in matters where titles and content of film productions on the drawing board potentially could involve trade mark and other IP rights conflicts.
- Assisted SAM Productions with the negotiation and drafting of agreements with broadcasters, financiers and international TV distributors on the production, launching and distribution of several new international TV series.
Bruun & Hjejle advises on the creation, exploitation and enforcement of IP rights. It has particular expertise in IP issues related to M&A as well as assisting with complex data protection issues in transactions. Pia Kirstine Voldmester leads the ‘very helpful and commercially oriented’ team.
Other key lawyers:
Christine Weihe Kjaegaard
I have worked mostly with Pia Voldmester, who I regard as the leading attorney in Denmark on data privacy. I value Pia’s deep knowledge of the subject matter combined with the right portion of pragmatism leading to to-the-point legal analysis and usable tips for how the handle privacy challenges in everyday life.’
‘We consider them one of the best on IP matters.’
‘Extremely competent and experienced advisers with a great understanding of the business needs.’
‘Pia Voldmester has substantial capacity within IP and data protection. Vast experience and knowledge combined with business insight equals very valuable and useful advice.’
‘Quick to react and a very helpful and outgoing approach combined with a strong brand usually makes it easier.’
‘Cutting edge knowledge when it comes to data privacy in the Nordics and especially Denmark, and also being able to transform the insight into workable commercial day to day solutions.’
‘B&H are very helpful and commercially oriented. They have helped us in many different issues, and I have always considered them as fast and trustworthy. They have good knowledge of our products and also a good international approach since we operate on many different markets at the same time.’
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester and Christine Weihe Kjaegaard are my main contact persons and I have especially valued their availability and knowledge.’
MLDK – Mærkevareleverandørerne (Danish Association of Branded Goods Manufacturers)
Old Irish Pub
Autobudget Europe and Autorola
Waterland Private Equity
TV 2 Danmark
- Represented the plaintiff MLDK – Mærkevareleverandørerne (MLDK – Branded Goods Association) in a high-profile court case before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court.
- Advising Swedish Match on a pending case before the Eastern Division of the High Court concerning whether three of the group’s product names constitute a potential conflict with the tobacco marketing rules (TPDII).
- Successfully represented Unilever in a high-profile case between Zendium (owned by Unilever) and Colgate (owned by Colgate-Palmolive).
DAHL Law Firm has extensive experience with both domestic and international IP matters. The group manages a number of trade mark and design portfolios and has seen its expertise grow, especially in the area of enforcement matters. Claus F. Sørensen and Søren Wolder jointly lead the team that was further bolstered by the September 2021 arrival of IP rights and entertainment law specialist Arly Carlquist from Bech-Bruun.
Claus F. Sørensen; Søren Wolder
Other key lawyers:
‘The Team we are working with have a professional attitude – they are all ‘on’ and take responsibility for us as a valuable client.’
‘The Teams we are working with are efficient, professional and always available. Especially Claus Sørensen, who is a partner that is always quick to find solutions. After working with DAHL for more than 15 years they of course know our company but still they are “on” and don’t take anything for granted.’
‘DAHL Law Firm have a fully functional team of IPR specialists, who can give a complete service in all aspects related to IPR issues, whether it is just a simple registration or an infringement case in the courts.’
‘Claus Sørensen, Dahl, partner is a very skilled and professional lawyer, who works with all aspect of the IPR issues, as well as the commercial aspect of a case. He is easy accessible, works quickly and communicates in a language everyone can understand.’
‘Competent, business-like attitude, value for money.’
‘Friendly attitude, easy to reach – Claus Sørensen and Søren Wolder’
Liqtech Holding A/S
DK Company A/S
DK Company Vejle A/S
Ikadan Plast A/S
NTT DATA Business Solutions A/S
OG E-sport A/S
Sam Partner A/S
People in Sport A/S
- Assisting Brands4kids with IP management and trade mark portfolio work, holding more than 200 trade marks worldwide.
- Representing multi-brand fashion house, DK Company A/S and its agents in relation to a cross-border infringement dispute raised by a German distributor of an Italian manufacturer of clothing.
- Advising a water technology company in a method patent infringement matter including in a preliminary injunction matter, and a security of evidence matter.
Exclusively representing right holders, LØJE IP has a full-service IP practice that is led by IP litigation specialist Johan E Løje. The group has niche expertise in industrial applied arts litigation and acts as counsel to the Danish Design Association. It also advises small and mid-size clients in Denmark across a range of industries including the furniture, pharmaceuticals and toy sectors.
Johan E Løje
‘Exceptional depth and understanding of IP-rights and laws – is also capable of communicating these in layman terms.’
‘Johan Løje is one-of-a-kind, a friendly, knowledgeable and extraordinary sharp-minded man.’
DISA Industries A/S
SP Group A/S
Timothy Jacob Jensen A/S
FOCUS Lighting A/S
Too Good To Go A/S
KH Würtz ApS
Garde Hvalsøe A/S
Mette Ditmer A/S
Trek Bicycle Corporation
- Represented Anne Black A/S in litigation against Netto A/S, which had copied three designs by Anne Black – suing for infringement and damages.
- Represented Mette Ditmer in litigation against JYSK A/S, which had copied a large number of Mette Ditmer’s designs.
- Represented KH Würtz A/S in successful litigation, suing large retail company F&H A/S and Christian Bitz for infringement of his world-famous tableware.
Mazanti-Andersen has a strong track record in advising on trade mark and copyright matters. The group has strengthened its offering with the promotion of Mia Anne Gantzhorn to partner; Gantzhorn has extensive IP law expertise, particularly in the digital entertainment industry. Practice head Nina Henningsen has a broad practice and advises on first-mover IP matters that often involve international elements.
Other key lawyers:
Mia Anne Gantzhorn
‘Nina Henningsson and the team are always super available and helpful in all aspects to support our company. No matter or issue is too big or small!’
‘Second-to-none service, 365 days a year.’
‘Approachability, excellence in advice, quality of work. Simply unbeatable.’
‘Nina Henningsen never fails to amaze me. Her drive, enthusiasm and knowledge, which is unparalleled in the industry, makes for ease of collaboration on any topics requiring advice.’
Turner Broadcasting Ltd
William Hill Ltd.
Mood Media International ltd
BML Group (Betsafe/Betsson/NordicBet)
Regional TV2 stations
- Represented LeoVegas (one of the largest gambling providers on the Danish market) in a case against the Danish Football Association regarding IP and marketing rights.
- Represented Wolly, a Danish product design group, in connection with allegations of copyright infringement by a competitor.
- Advising a range of international Broadcasters and SVOD platforms on the comprehensive bill for an amendment of the Danish Copyright Act which was presented in December 2020 by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs.
Jeppe Brogaard Clausen and Thomas Ryhl jointly lead the practice at NJORD Law Firm which is split into two teams: the intellectual property team and the life sciences and healthcare group. The IP team handles the full range of issues, including IP prosecutions, litigation and contracts; Clausen has a strong profile in counterfeit and passing off cases and is adept at handling cross-border mandates. On the life sciences team, Ryhl is an EU and pharmaceuticals law specialist.
Jeppe Brogaard Clausen; Thomas Ryhl
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely strong expertise in the area of IP and pharma – both Danish & EU law. Excellent value for money. Pragmatic advice.’
Estrella Maarud AS – part of Intersnack
The Whole Company
Coty – including Davidoff, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs etc.
Siemens Healthcare (Siemens Healtineers)
Smith & Nephew
- Representing Novartis Pharma AG in Europe-wide litigation against parallel importers (and national regulatory bodies), with a number of cases referred to the European Court of Justice (CJEU).
- Advising Ferring in cases against national regulatory bodies on the illegal acceptance of generic, non-approved pharmaceuticals for use in hospitals.
- Assisting Siemens Healthineers (Siemens Medico) with the legal audit of policies, contracts, etc. in seven Nordic jurisdictions, including regulatory compliance issues.
Based in Kolding, Andersen Partners‘ IP department houses lawyers admitted to the Danish Bar who have vast experience in litigation as well as advising on IP strategy. The team assists clients with trade mark applications, and monitoring and defending rights in the administrative and court systems. Kenneth Cramer and Lisbeth Elmgaard jointly head up the practice.
Kenneth Cramer; Lisbeth Elmgaard
‘The Andersen Partners legal team is a high-skilled and highly qualified team of experts within – amongst others – Intellectual Property. ‘
‘The legal acumen and professional advice received – no matter the commercial risk or situation at hand – cannot be underestimated in the frequent collaboration I have with Kenneth Cramer.’
Mos Mosh A/S
Baby Dan A/S
Hyundai Bil Import A/S
Beirholms Væverier A/S
Ball Wholesale ApS
Yab Yum Holding ApS
Aurora Group Danmark A/S
Hans Christian Galst leads GALST’s IP practice, which focuses on handling the enforcement and registration of intellectual property rights. The group advises a broad range of clients, from authors and publishers to musicians and major technology companies, including Sony. The team also works closely with the M&A department when performing IP due diligence in transactions.
Hans Christian Galst
Other key lawyers:
Anders Hebbelstrup Jensen
Mads Goth Hartmann Holding ApS
Den Kongelige Livgardes Musikkorps Fond
Nordic Copyright Bureau
Forlaget Delta ApS
Netflix Studios LLC
Friese Fraase Art and Publishing ApS
Forlaget Zebra ApS
Roland DG North Europe A/S
Ahlberg Dollarstore AB
FTDK Holding ApS
YK Invest Holding Ap
- Assisted Blu with the contract work in relation to the Danish X Factor show in 2021.
- Advised YK Invest Holding ApS on its investment in fashion designer Yvonne Koné’s business. The work included IP due diligence, the transfer and the securing of the IP and licensing agreement.
- Assisted Sony with multiple counterfeit cases.
The IP group at Moalem Weitemeyer focuses on national and international trade marks and is particularly strong within the fashion, retail and sports industries. Led by Pernille Nørkær, the team represents rights holders and assists clients through registration procedures, brand protection issues and acts before the courts in infringement cases.
Other key lawyers:
ZWILLING J. A. HENCKELS A/S SCANDINAVIA
DAY Birger et Mikkelsen
FC Nordsjælland A/S
All at Sea
HBO Nordic AB
MN Retail ApS
Lars Larsen Watches
Butler’s Choice A/S
Unity Studios ApS
Smarkets (Malta) Limited
VKR Holding A/S
Astralis Group A/S
Birger Christensen A/S
- Advising Astralis Group A/S on multiple ongoing IP licensing and cooperation agreements, including a historic sponsorship agreement with Hummel, a major Danish sports and fashion brand.
- Advising FC Nordsjælland A/S on an ongoing basis regarding commercial and strategic issues including intellectual property rights, GDPR, commercial rights etc.
- Advising Group 888 on an ongoing basis regarding marketing and IP related issues, including regulatory advice on a significant and ongoing basis.
Zacco‘s IP group is made up of lawyers and consultants as well as engineers, chemists and biologists to offer both legal and technical expertise. Led by Thomas Mølsgaard, the team represents medium and large-sized Danish and international clients and has specialist expertise in the protection and enforcement of IP rights.
Other key lawyers:
Stig H. Ekmann
Arla Foods Amba
Lego Juris A/S
Maharishi Vedic University Ltd, Malta
Tryg Forsikring A/S
Assa Abloy AB
Chanel SAS and Chanel SARL
Reddit Inc., US
Sunoco LP, Sunoco Overseas, Inc.
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
- Advised Sunoco LP and Sunoco Overseas, Inc. on an EU trade mark infringement and passing-off court case.
- Advised Reckitt-Benckiser on a trade mark infringement and unfair competition case.
- Advised Bayer AG on anti-counterfeiting measures.