Led by the ‘extremely skilled and to-the-point’ René Thornfeldt, Accura Advokatpartnerselskab has a strong track record in IT and outsourcing transactions, underpinned by its system acquisition, licence agreement and data protection work. With ‘updated and thorough knowledge of contracts, contract management and vendor management’, the group's client base includes large banks, pension funds and trade unions, which it advises on regulatory issues and major outsourcing set-ups. Notably active in the acquisition and development of standardised cloud services, Mikkel Skovdal Hach is another practitioner to note.
Information technology in Denmark
Other key lawyers:
Jens Harkov Hansen; Dan Ermose; Lærke Louise Jeppsen; Mikkel Skovdal Hach
‘High knowledge of practices and project methods.’
‘Rene Thornfeld is extremely skilled and to the point. Every time!’
‘Updated and thorough knowledge of contracts, contract management and vendor management. Accura has specialized its services and it shows in the knowledge and know-how that is provided.’
‘Very high standards on partner level; both legal and strategic advice. Easy access, flexible and quick responses.’
‘The team is solid and there is great collaboration and alignment across different function areas. The team is highly specialised and experienced and, as a client, you quickly feel part of a team which makes this team unique.’
‘Quick grasp of the technical parts. Pleasant to work with. Timely.’
‘Easy to communicate with. Good understanding of the technology behind the request.’
LEO Pharma A/S
VELUX A/S / VKR Holding A/S
Lessor A/S (part of Paychex Europe)
Statens Serum Institut (SSI)
Radiometer Medical ApS (part of Danaher group)
Municipality of Greve
Teknisk Landsforbund og A-kasse
BankInvest Holding A/S
H. Lundbeck A/S
Global Scanning Denma
- Advised PFA Pension on an IT outsourcing to NNIT A/S.
- Advised AP Pension on the outsourcing of its health insurance activities to the Danish insurance agent Dansk Sundhedssikring A/S.
- Advised HK on the outsourcing of its IT operations and application development activities to NNIT A/S.
Bech-Bruun focuses on issues at the intersection between IT, data protection and IT security law. Key strengths include traditional IT system development and supply agreements, public and private procurement work, transfers, due diligence, and software licensing and IT operational services agreements concerning hosting and outsourcing services. In a recent highlight, the group assisted Energinet with a large outsourcing agreement, preparing and facilitating the bidding and contracting process involving data centres, infrastructure and IT systems. Niels M. Andersen and Mikkel Friis Rossa jointly head up the group.
Niels M. Andersen; Mikkel Friis Rossa
Other key lawyers:
Jens Grønkjær Sjølander Pihl
‘They have knowledge from many cases which allows them perspective, and they advise at a level where theory can be converted to practice. They understand our business and the situation we are in and do not waste time on unnecessary formalities.’
‘Highly professional, pragmatic approach and quick to respond.’
‘Mikkel Friis Rossa provides practical and commercially relevant advice in relation to data protection and IPR. Mikkel is highly professional and stands out for his pragmatic approach.’
‘Partner Niels Andersen and his team are, in addition to being extremely pleasant people, incredibly skilled and very accessible. They make me feel like I am the most important client they have.’
‘Jens Grønkjær Sjølander Pihl provides hands-on advice and you can really sense that he has prior in-house experience.’
Municipality of Copenhagen
Municipality of Aarhus
ACN Europe BV
Nordic Entertainment Group
Arp-Hansen Hotel Group
Copenhagen Healthtech Cluster
Blue Water Shipping
IMPACT Digital Commerce
- Assisting Energinet with a large outsourcing agreement, comprising of all its IT data centres, infrastructure and IT systems.
- Advising Odense University Hospital on the contract and appendices for the implementation and maintenance of a warehouse management system and a transportation system.
- Advising JYSK A/S on the first step of it’s Unified Commerce strategy, including drafting and negotiating agreements for the point-of-sale system for it’s 2,800 stores in 52 Countries worldwide.
Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab advises an array of high-profile blue-chip clients on IT and public law, particularly regulatory matters concerning fintech, telecoms and e-commerce companies. Digitisation, systems procurement and outsourcing project expert Lau Normann Jørgensen leads the team alongside Jesper Langemark, who also handles technology-related disputes. Martin von Haller Grønbæk specialises in blockchain technology and open source projects, Nicolai Dragsted advises clients on ERP contracts, and Julie Bak-Larsen frequently assists national material telecoms providers and network owners with IT matters. Jan Ussing Andersen joined the team in 2020 from Kromann Reumert.
Jesper Langemark; Lau Normann Jørgensen
Other key lawyers:
Martin von Haller Grønbæk; Nicolai Dragsted; Julie Bak-Larsen; Jan Ussing Andersen
‘Strong team with a substantial proven record. Always available and with a positive can do attitude.’
‘Lau and Jesper stand out as benchmarks in the Danish IT law market.’
‘The team provides unique and locally tailored knowledge around legal requirements for public cloud transformation projects within the public sector and finance.’
‘Julie Bak-Larsen is one of the best advisors I have worked with professionally.’
‘Jesper Langemark is an outstanding IT lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the industry, technology and trends. He is well-known in the market and knows the usual suspects among IT lawyers and their tactics and templates.’
HP Inc Denmark ApS
Ascendis Pharma A/S
VP Securities A/S
Hitachi Data Systems
IBM Danmark ApS
Milestone Systems A/S
Novo Holdings A/S
City of Copenhagen
City of Aarhus
Danish Ministry of Taxation
Too Good to Go
- Advised DFDS on its procurement of end-to-end ERP applications and the associated implementation programme in a structured process between SAP, Microsoft and Oracle tendering with implementation and consulting partners.
- Advising the Danish Ministry of Taxation on the tender for a new IT-based customs system.
- Advised Mastercard on the Danish element of its acquisition of Nets’ account-to-account payment business.
Singled out for its ‘extensive knowledge of the market and strong negotiation skills’, Gorrissen Federspiel has extensive experience in IT project implementation and development work, software licensing agreements, cloud solutions, contract management issues, system acquisition projects and digital transformation projects. ‘Very experienced’ practice co-head Ole Horsfeldt ‘has developed a state-of-the-art legal framework for outsourcing’, while fellow co-head Tue Goldschmieding specialises in data protection-related issues, including IT security and cybercrime mandates. The department is also active in contentious technology matters.
Ole Horsfeldt; Tue Goldschmieding
‘Very business-oriented, highly experienced with in-depth market knowledge (knows the strengths and weaknesses of suppliers in the markets which is appreciated from the customer’s point of view).’
‘Ole Horsfeldt is not only a very competent lawyer – he is also humble and business-oriented which was a perfect match with the corporate values of his client in this case. He is attentive, respectful and thinks outside the box.’
‘Extensive knowledge of the market and strong negotiation skills. Managed to take over the entire process thereby freeing up in-house resources for other strategic projects.’
‘Deep knowledge of outsourcing from both a commercial and legal perspective.’
‘The people I have worked with are in general very talented, with a commercial mind-set, and structured and friendly approach. In regard to outsourcing, Ole Horsfeldt is our first choice as he is very experienced and has developed a state-of-the-art legal framework for outsourcing.’
‘They are very good at finding solutions and working in a structured and pragmatic way. They understand the business’ needs.’
‘Very structured and eager to find a solution that fits both parties without compromising on standards. Good at seeing the big picture as well as details.’
Carlsberg Breweries A/S
Danske Bank A/S
- Assisted the six leading Nordic banks with establishing the foundations for a regional joint payment infrastructure covering the Nordics.
- Assisting Pandora with its digital transformation, most recently involving three different outsourcing / IT agreements.
- Assisted Carlsberg with the finalisation and negotiation of an agreement with Accenture regarding the provision of a large range of IT-services, including SAP Access Management, SAP Basis, application development and maintenance, hosting, security, infrastructure operations etc.
Praised for its handling of IT projects, outsourcings and business process outsourcings, Kromann Reumert’s client roster encompasses high-profile international companies and large domestic corporations. Headed up by Søren Skibsted, the department has notable experience in the structuring of deals, disputes, the negotiation of IT contracts, tender procedures and the establishment of technology joint ventures. Technology supply and service agreements as well as agreements on software rights and R&D issues are other areas of strength. Torben Waage, Jan Hvarre and Jette Hessellund Lauridsen are further names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Ussing Andersen; Jan Hvarre; Jette Hessellund Lauridsen; Kristian Storgaard; Torben Waage
‘Kromann Reumert makes an effort to learn about the enterprise, seeking advice and to put themselves “in your place”. This tailors their advice to your specific need. They identify the essence of the matter quickly and proactively include relevant other considerations to make a complete solution. They are straightforward in their communication.’
‘The strengths are the knowledge and the maturity within IT-sourcing, and the way of finding solutions that can be implemented, not only from a legal perspective but also from a business perspective.’
‘The in-depth knowledge within IT-sourcing based on experience and maturity within the IT-area makes it easy to receive solutions that are customer-orientated.’
‘A very efficient and well-coordinated team.’
‘The partners we have been advised by have always been very thoroughly acquainted with the substance of the cases and have on that basis come up with many good innovations.’
‘I have used Kromann Reumert for information technology for the past 13 years, including IT projects, IT outsourcing and business process outsourcing. The firm is clearly both the best and most experienced within IT.’
‘They have broad and deep competencies to support clients on bigger contractual negotiation processes.’
DSB (the Danish State Railways)
Danish Financial Authority (in Danish: Økonomistyrelsen)
PFA (Denmark’s largest pension fund)
AP Møller – Maersk
TDC (national PTO)
The IT and Development Agency of the Danish Ministry of Taxation
Novo Nordisk Fonden
- Representing ATP in a dispute between ATP/all municipalities in Denmark and KMD A/S involving a massive and highly complex IT system for the administration and payment of all pension benefits for the entire Danish population.
- Assisted DSB with its recent, large third generation IT outsourcing to Tata Consultancy Services.
- Assisting the Agency for Public Finance and Management with the preparation of an EU tender for development, operations, support, and maintenance of a new IT system for administration of public grants.
Possessing an enviable track record in the public sector, where it frequently assists ministries, regional authorities and municipalities, Poul Schmith handles contentious and non-contentious matters. The group specialises in EU public procurement directives, the planning and purchase of IT services, and IT contract law issues, including outsourcings, operations and IT-related disputes. In a recent stand-out matter, it advised the Agency for Governmental IT Services on the strategy, contracts and negotiations for a proposed Government Cloud system. Practice head Tom Holsøe and Anni Noes Westergaard are key names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Anni Noes Westergaard; Peter Hedegaard Madsen; Rasmus Holm Hansen; Milena Anguelova Krogsgaard; Anders Bossen; Thomas Dithmer
‘They are always ready to start on new tasks, and quickly find the right experts for the task.’
‘I believe that everyone from the team are highly professional and work as one team rather than individuals on their own. The team come off as competent, hardworking and people-oriented.’
‘Tom Holsøe is extremely pleasant to work with, and is very skilled and willing to give extra when it is needed regardless of the time of the day / month / year.’
‘The team has a great knowledge of us as a company and how we work. Instead of using something “off the shelf” they managed to make a contract paradigm that fits great for the purpose. While making the contract paradigm, they also involved us as customer, not only for input but also in the “making” process of the contract paradigm.’
‘Having worked with Anni Westergaard and Anders Bossen, I have only seen top professional and skilled work delivered by both of them. They are both hard working, competent, ethical and emotionally intelligent. They have been role models for both their colleagues, their clients and alliance partners. It has been fun and educational to work with them and I sincerely hope to cross paths with them again in the future.’
‘The team delivers very good and useful advice and is good at understanding what the clients need also in a political context. They provide advice that can be used anytime.’
‘They know exactly how difficult it can be as a public contracting authority with the limitations it gives which they always have in mind. They know our organization quite well and helps pointing out which questions as least should be answered by the management group. Furthermore they have a huge knowledge about the public sector and IT development and they bring input from other customers.’
‘Thomas Dithmer: Skilled and efficient.’
Ministry of Finance
Ministry of Taxation
The IT and Development Agency
Ministry of Finance
Danish Ministry of Defence Acquisition and Logistics Organisation
Ministry of Justice
Danish Agency for Digitisation (and Finance Denmark)
DSB (Danish State Railway)
The Danish Court Administration (“Domstolsstyrelsen”)
The Danish export credit agency (“EKF”)
Ministry of Finance, Agency of Digitalisation
Ministry of Data Supply and Efficiency
- Advising the Agency for Governmental IT Services on contracts and negotiations for a planned Government Cloud IT Service using Microsoft cloud services.
- Established a framework agreement for the Danish Ministry of Taxation for the support and service procurement for the Danish government’s renewal of the entire digital tax system.
- Acting for the Ministry of Defence on a huge and complex IT acquisition with a multiple supplier setup.
Blending ‘good depth’ with ‘accessibility and commerciality’, Plesner regularly handles cloud computing implementations and issues, IT outsourcing projects and IT-related contract disputes. Its outsourcing work leverages a new software tool created in cooperation with RISMA, enabling client compliance with new regulatory requirements from regulators including The European Banking Authority. The group is headed up by the ‘industry-leading’ Niels Christian Ellegaard, who advises a range of blue-chip clients. Capable of providing ‘pragmatic, inventive solutions at lightning speed’, Michael Hur Bertelsen, who was promoted to partner in early 2020, is also highly regarded.
Niels Christian Ellegaard
Other key lawyers:
Michael Hur Bertelsen; Michael Hopp
‘Niels Chr Ellegaard is industry-leading and a very pleasant advisor to work with.’
‘The team has a unique understanding and interest in technology.’
‘They are not afraid to be tech nerds and this relates to their customers in a warm welcoming fashion.’
‘Michael Hopp is a very dedicated and engaged speaker within the field of data privacy, while Niels Christian Ellegaard is a thought leader within the field of digitisation of the legal profession.’
‘Plesner’s information technology practice group takes a very client-focused approach. The firm has a good depth and manages to blend this well with accessibility and commerciality. They take the time to understand things from a business and a legal perspective. Advice is always practical, clear and solution-focused.’
‘Niels Chr. Ellegaard is extremely competent, experienced, knowledgeable within information technology.’
‘The team is extremely business-minded and pragmatic in advising on commercial IP/IT transactions. They are also able to advise from a “global” perspective rather than “Danish-only” when helping their client negotiate with non-Danish counterparties. This ability to think like an in-house counsel and think globally is what separates them from other Danish law firms.’
‘Michael Hur Bertelsen stands out as a commercially-driven lawyer who is able to think holistically while quickly honing in on the critical issues. He provides pragmatic, inventive solutions at lightning speed, being keenly aware of not slowing the momentum of the transaction at hand.’
Kemp & Lauritzen
- Assisting Sygeforsikringen Danmark with its digital transformation from its current mainframe solution to a cloud-based platform.
- Assisted Nets DanID in connection with its contracts with the Danish Agency for digitisation regarding the establishment of MitID (a new national eID solution), expected to go live in mid-2021.
- Assisted Volkswagen Semler Finans Danmark A/S with a negotiation with Banqsoft AS and the conclusion of the phase-staged implementation of an important IT solution for Volkswagen Semler Finans Danmark A/S and the ongoing operation of the system.
CO:PLAY's practice advises domestic corporations, global technology companies and SMEs on a range of matters, with particular expertise in cloud platform issues, domestic and EU regulations, IT-related agreements, and the installation and transferral of IT systems. It also has experience with start-ups, thanks to to its Synch Sandbox initiative, which supports and houses young legal technology companies. In 2020, the group, which is headed up by Michael Brandt and Mandeep Singh Rathour, merged with boutique IT firm Integra.
Michael Brandt; Mandeep Singh Rathour
‘The team is professional, friendly and always available.’
‘They seem to analyse the case deeply and assess several options as well as the pros and cons before presenting the proposed solution to us.’
Fitness World A/S
Pure Gym Ltd
Tele Greenland A/S
Capgemini Danmark A/S
XSuite Nordic ApS
Formpipe Software A/S
MultiQ Danmark A/S
SEC Datacom A/S
- Advised PensionDanmark on a contract with Festina Finance on the development of the core of its new pension management system.
- Acting for Globeteam in its dispute with Domstolsstyrelsen (the Danish Court Administration) regarding the delivery of a court case management system.
- Advising Auditdata on its transition from primarily being a software licensing vendor to becoming a cloud-based SaaS provider, including the transformation of its various agreements.
DAHL Law Firm is primarily instructed by clients on the supplier side of IT matters, underpinned by strong domestic SME sector expertise. While it has 'deep knowledge of IT contracts' and regularly handles outsourcing, procurement and licensing matters, the team has seen an uptick in IT-related M&A work, cloud solution and digitisation issues, and GDPR compliance and data protection matters. The department includes practice head Claus F. Sørensen, who has particular expertise in IT-related disputes, Tim Nielsen and Michael Rehling; it was also substantially bolstered in early 2021 with the recruitment of Mads Nygaard Madsen and Michael Goeskjær from Horten.
Claus F. Sørensen
Other key lawyers:
Tim Nielsen; Michael Rehling; Mads Nygaard Madsen; Michael Goeskjær
‘The practice’s experience within IT-contracts and their ability to establish a good climate for the negotiation to find good solutions for both buyer and seller is really good.’
‘Michael Rehling has a unique in-depth legal competence, commercial understanding and understanding of our services and offerings in the IT business. He balances this very well in the negotiations with our customers.’
‘Dahl Law Firm offers a complete set of services to our company.’
‘They are professional and competent in their field. You can get in touch with them quickly and they have a high professional level.’
‘They have a deep knowledge of IT contracts. At the same time, they have experts in several other areas so you are able to make a one-stop trip.’
‘Highly professional teams. Strong professional experts. Long-term relationship builders, we keep coming back. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Highly available and supportive. Takes responsibility and is highly skilled in both the individuals’ niche areas and in related areas.’
Iqvia Partners A/S
Npvision Group A/S
Søstrene Grenes Import A/S
- Advised DXC Technology Norge AS on a number of agreements including a Research and Development agreement, Development and Customisation agreement, and an operations agreement between it and a large Norwegian utility company in the energy sector regarding the development, implementation and operations of a new and complex Microsoft Dynamics 365-ERP-solution for the utility company and its subsidiaries.
- Developing completely new contract standards for the entire EG Group to support trade with the group’s 17,000 private and public customers throughout Scandinavia.
- Assisted OG E-sport A/S with the review and negotiation of a draft streaming agreement provided by the Chinese counterparty Hainan Huya Entertainment & Information Technology Co., Ltd.
Instructed by a wide range of domestic corporations, multinationals and public authorities, DLA Piper Denmark's expertise is underscored by its handling of technology contracts, outsourcings, development projects and high-end technology transactions. It also has extensive experience in IT systems procurement and public procurement issues. The group is headed up by Marlene Winther Plas, who, as a mediator, arbitrator and litigator, also deals with dispute resolution concerning complex technology contracts and technology-related law.
Marlene Winther Plas
Other key lawyers:
‘Comprehension is key in this matter, the team is quick in understanding the fundamentals. They are quick at cutting to the core of the issue.’
‘Jon Lauritzen is fast in determining if the case in question is within his key competence or if to involve other resources. He is straightforward if it makes sense to take any legal action.’
‘The team is very good at seeing the projects from a business perspective.’
‘We appreciate the guidance and fast response from Jon Lauritzen.’
Landsbyggefonden (the Danish National Housing Fund)
Økonomistyrelsen (section under the Danish Ministry of Finance)
City of Copenhagen
PNO Holding A/S
Dan Church Aid
Dansk Distribution A/S
- Advised the City of Copenhagen on the large-scale revision and re-drafting of its IT contract templates.
- Advised Trafikselskabet Movia on the procurement of an IT system, managing the counting of passengers in buses.
- Advised Økonomistyrelsen (previously the Agency for Modernisation) on the outsourcing of a large IT system handling salary payments to all employees of the Danish Government.
Led by Morten Stadil, who ‘provides consistently high-quality legal advice’ to predominantly media, business services and IT clients, Bruun & Hjejle’s expertise runs the gamut of IT law issues. The group's experience includes handling IT-focused disputes, the drafting and negotiation of contracts related to software license agreements and outsourcing contracts, business process outsourcing work and obtaining internet domain names. Another name to note is Pia Kristine Voldmester, who also handles IP and data protection-related mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Pia Kristine Voldmester; Kasper Laustsen
‘Bruun & Hjejle have a one of a kind understanding of our business model and what we should be aware of in terms of e.g. legal changes, which could impact our business model or have a commercial impact.’
‘Morten Stadil is always very proactive and provides us with a heads up of coming legal changes or potential impacts, and is always brilliant with crystal clear translations of complex legal matters into clear advice.’
‘Very strong capabilities within technology law.’
‘Morten Stadil provides consistently high-quality legal advice with excellent understanding of our business and industry. Very fast response times and “straight to the point” mindset. Assisted by a very good and efficient legal team.’
Berlingske Media A/S
DNP Denmark A/S
- Advising Danish IT and screen producers DNP Denmark A/S on the takeover of IT-solution company Visiosign A/S.
- Advised Goldman Sachs on IT related matters in connection with its acquisition of EcoOnline.
- Advised Berlingske Media on the restructuring of daily newspaper B.T. from print to online.
‘Responsive, agile, adaptable and knowledgeable’, Horten assists clients with a variety of IT-related matters, including litigation, arbitration and complex contractual and commercial issues. The team also advises on outsourcing contracts, system delivery contracts, software licensing work, e-commerce matters and the related data protection issues. The group receives a substantial stream of work relating to the public procurement of IT systems, primarily for Danish municipalities, and also represents clients in IT disputes. Former practice lead Mads Nygaard Madsen and Michael Goeskjær both departed for DAHL Law Firm in 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Asger Heine Jensen
‘In-depth knowledge of the technology and regulations in the field they are representing. Good collaboration with authorities.’
‘Very responsive, agile, adaptable and knowledgeable team. Horten has demonstrated technology, commercial and business savviness which enables us to provide them with various tasks ranging from litigation, arbitration and complex contractual and commercial analyses.’
‘Horten’s personnel are prompt at understanding complex business issues and how they intertwine with legal matters. They are extremely reliable, fast to respond and take ownership immediately.’
Scandi System A/S (formerly Scan-Tech Sikkerhedssystemer ApS)
BD Consult A/S
Festina Lente A/S
Fitness World A/S
The City of Copenhagen
ID Sparinvest, Branch of Sparinvest S.A., Luxembourg
- Advised DXC Technology on matters regarding IT contracts within the public sector.
- Acting for Motorola and its subsidiaries on numerous matters, including advising its group company Dansk Beredskabskommunikation A/S on regulatory and contractual issues in relation to the company’s nationwide communication network for emergency and utility services.
- Advising BD Consult Electronic Engineering (BDC) on all legal aspects of BDC’s co-operation agreements with Otis, the Schur group, and Carrier.
Jointly led by Torsten Hylleberg and Claus Spangenberg, the team at Lund Elmer Sandager acts for a range of international and domestic clients, primarily on IT contracts, system development and delivery processes, hosting and cloud licensing issues, e-commerce work and IT-related M&A. In addition, Spangenberg regularly represents clients in IT disputes, while Hylleberg also focuses on IT outsourcing, application development and software licensing issues.
Torsten Hylleberg; Claus Spangenberg
‘Lund Elmer Sandager always supports us with great professionalism and service.’
Freja Transport & Logistics
Toyota Financial Services Danmark
- Advised the Process Factory on several dealings with customers and drafted the technology contracts necessary to conclude the company’s sales of licenses and services.
- Assisting Autobranchen Danmark with complex contract negotiations and the drafting of inbound licensing agreements and supplier agreements.
- Providing general advice in relation to IT and technology agreements, mainly outsourcing and technology licensing agreements, to TV2 Regions Broadcasting as well as drafting privacy policies, and drafting and negotiating standard data processing agreements.
Working closely with the firm’s IP department, NJORD Law Firm’s team has a track record in web and system development work, IT and ERP contracts, software licensing issues and the establishment of support services. Practice head Anders Wernblad, who joined from Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab in mid-2019, also has extensive experience in digitisation and IT procurement projects, especially mandates relating to the e-commerce sector.
Procon Solution A/S
Arbit Cyber Defence Systems ApS
Cookie Information A/S