Significant additions to Accura Advokatpartnerselskab‘s EU and competition team include new head of department Simon Evers Hjelmborg, Christian Monberg and Amalie Geertsen, who joined from Bech-Bruun in August 2021. These arrivals have strengthened the group’s offering, adding major multinational industrials to its client portfolio as well as handling new complex multi-jurisdictional merger cases. The group is heavily involved in competition work, including cartel investigations and competition authority complaints. In the area of public procurement, the team assists municipalities and utility companies, with Jesper Fabricius an expert in EU and international public procurement law. Christina Heiberg-Grevy left for Poul Schmith.
EU, competition and public procurement in Denmark
Simon Evers Hjelmborg
Other key lawyers:
Christian Monberg; Amalie Geertsen; Jesper Fabricius
‘Accura now has probably the best EU, competition and public procurement team in Denmark.’
‘Christian Monberg is a talent and a leading individual.’
‘Accura is our preferred and trusted adviser in all legal matters, and I am extremely grateful to work together with Accura on our important legal issues, as well as benefit from their commercial support in complex customer cases and/or critical business decisions. Their practice within EU, competition and public procurement are subject matter experts. Their knowledge of the market is unique, and they are well-known and respected widely in the industry and among our clients for their in-depth knowledge of public procurement, the legislation and prior rulings.’
‘We rely heavily on Jesper Fabricius in our legal affairs and most critical business issues. He is seen as our trusted adviser, and in cases outside his SME field, we rely solely on his recommendations for other advisors in Accura. To be honest; we do not seek for alternative guidance, because we do not need it. Why is that? Jesper is unique in his knowledge. He has a huge knowledge of public procurement and other relevant industry insights, which is important in our choice of adviser. His respect and credible “personal brand” resolve many conflicts before they become a real conflict.’
‘Jesper Fabricius is a front-runner within public procurement, but his commercial insights makes him stand even more out. For that reason Jesper is often brought into critical decision making earlier than normal legal guidance – which makes him an important part of the companies external stakeholders.’
Bech-Bruun represents both domestic and international clients before the Danish regulatory bodies and the EU Commission. Its competition team works with a broad range of industry clients and has a strong track record in handling major public procurement mandates, including contentious procurement proceedings. The group has several public procurement law specialists, including practice head and experienced litigator Peter Stig Jakobsen and Tina Braad , who handles cases before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement. Simon Evers Hjelmborg and Christian Monberg left for Accura Advokatpartnerselskab in August 2021.
Peter Stig Jakobsen
Other key lawyers:
Jesper Kaltoft; Tina Braad; Anne Bergholt Sommer; Anders Birkelund Nielsen; Mark Gall
‘Specialised and very huge knowledge of all legal areas with EU competition law.’
‘Mark Gall – always prompt responses. High quality of work. Very pragmatic and commercial-oriented.’
‘The collaboration, people and flexibility have been and are outstanding.’
‘The knowledge of our business and needs. It provides quick and good answers to our challenge and at an acceptable price.’
City & Harbor
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark
Nordic Entertainment Group
Procter & Gamble
Bruun & Hjejle has a strong track record acting in competition and state aid litigation before the Danish courts, the General Court and the Court of Justice. Co-led by Olaf Koktvedgaard, Søren Zinck and Frederik André Bork, the team has extensive experience in merger control cases and M&A processes, with particular strength in investment fund matters and the media, transport, agriculture and postal sectors. The group is also regularly instructed in high-profile Danish criminal cases, including dawn raids and large follow-on damages claims.
‘The team is supremely knowledgeable, well rounded (able to operate across a number of areas of the law including antitrust, civil disputes and criminal proceedings), well connected and commercial.’
‘They offer prompt, sound and to the point legal advice. Furthermore, they are thorough.’
‘Søren Zinck has very extensive knowledge in competition law and has an excellent understanding of the commercial challenges in this very difficult practice area and manages to give advice that balances the legal and commercial issues to reach pragmatic and sound solutions.’
‘Highly skilled competition law team. Great availability.’
‘Frederik Bork is highly skilled, works with tremendous overview and provides hands-on advice.’
‘Olaf Koktvedgaard is outstanding. He has a great mind. He is highly intelligent and extremely knowledgeable about both EU competition law and state aid law. He is great at thinking out of the box.’
‘The team has great relations to authorities – understanding the way that they work; when to reach out and when to give them space in order to get the best process. Also, understands very well what authorities are actually requiring when sending questions related to a merger control process.’
HMN Naturgas I/S
TV 2 Danmark A/S
Danske Bank A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
PostNord Danmark (Post Danmark)
Danish Pig Genetics
Clear Channel International and Clear Channel Danmark
NREP (Nordic Real Estate Partners)
Jacob Holm & Sønner A/S
Axel Kaufmann ApS
- Representing Nets A/S in a case on alleged abuse of a dominant position on the acquiring market in Denmark currently pending before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court, and a merger control case concerning the sale of Nets A2A payment business to Mastercard for approximately DKK21.3bn.
- Acting for TV2 Danmark in two follow-on proceedings before the Danish High Court, filed by NENT (formerly Viasat) and Discovery (formerly SBS TV), and in a related state aid case before the Danish Eastern High Court and the ECJ Grand Chamber filed by NENT.
- Representing the three largest municipalities in Denmark (Københavns Kommune, Aarhus Kommune and Odense Kommune) in a joint follow-on damage claim before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court.
Predominantly advising large Danish and international corporates, Gorrissen Federspiel advises on the full spectrum of EU, competition and public procurement issues. The group is particularly strong in merger control work, with the ‘exceptionally skilled’ Martin André Dittmer focusing on M&A transactions for major Nordic financial institutions as well as handling regulatory and general competition law work. On the contentious side, the team has extensive experience before the Danish Supreme Court; co-head Erik Kjær-Hansen is the key name to note. Kristian Helge Andersen is also recommended.
Martin André Dittmer; Erik Kjær-Hansen
Other key lawyers:
Kristian Helge Andersen; Cecilie Sivertsen; Josephine Alsing
‘Very skilled competencies within EU and competition law. Always feel safe as a client working with Gorrissen Federspiel.’
‘Gorrissen is outstanding in managing large projects with many parties and more jurisdictions. They are second to none on the Danish market in this regard. Very strong in M&A transactions, but also generally in respect of competition law.’
‘Very large & very experienced team. One of the best in the market – EU-wide.’
‘Erik Kjær-Hansen and attorney Josephine Alsing have been highly valued partners in specific litigation with an outcome of substantial value for our company.’
‘Very professional, always accessible and deep knowledge of the client’s sector. New billing procedure works very well.’
‘Martin Dittmer is certainly one of THE Danish, if not European specialists in competition law matters. He is an exceptionally skilled expert in material law and knows how to convince not based on volume or quantity of arguments, but on their quality and depth.’
‘Cecilie Sivertsen has a good understanding of our business and the special circumstances surrounding this. She has extremely good personal skills and knows how to handle delicate situations.’
‘Erik Kjær Hansen delivers legal advice in a client-friendly, value-based and solution-oriented way. You never walk away from a meeting with Erik Kjær Hansen without more than one possible solution to a company challenge.’
Intact Financial Corporation
Bang & Olufsen
A.P. Møller – Maersk
P27 Nordic Payments
- Assisted a group of six major Nordic banks with establishing a pan-Nordic common payment infrastructure, P27, and assisting P27 in acquiring the legacy Swedish payments platform.
- Advised Intact Financial Corporation on the Danish aspects of its £7.2bn offer for RSA Insurance Group and associated separation of RSA’s Scandinavian business.
- Defended Deutz in a case before the Danish Maritime and Commercial High Court regarding alleged abuse of dominance and anti-competitive agreements.
Kromann Reumert has a broad competition and procurement practice, advising some of the largest utilities in Denmark and a range of contracting authorities including Danish municipalities. The group is also adept at handling state aid matters, including transactions, tender-related issues and assessments of horizontal aid schemes. Jeppe Lefevre Olsen leads the specialised procurement sub-group, while Jens Munk Plum takes the lead on EU and competition law issues, with experience in distribution law and cartel matters. Morten Kofmann has extensive experience in obtaining merger approvals from the European Commission, and for cross-border expertise, Bart A. Creve is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Erik Bertelsen; Morten Kofmann; Bart A. Creve
‘The individuals are skilled and experienced. They do their utmost to make complex and difficult legal stuff understandable for the people they meet, both legal and non-legal people.’
‘They offer prompt, sound and to the point legal advice. Furthermore, they are thorough.’
‘The team is available almost 24/7. A missed call is followed up as soon as possible and within the same day. It is a very skilled team and they provide services and solutions that are customized and operational.’
‘Jens Munk Plum is very well estimated for his large knowledge both within tender law and competition law; he is brilliant in cases combining tender law matters and competition law matters.’
‘Jeppe Lefevre Olsen: Top-expert in procurement law. Very, very skilled. Always able to identify a problem and provide a path to the solution.’
‘Morten Kofmann has a very calm and very likeable way of handling all cases. This is obvious to both the client, the counterpart attorneys and the judges. On top of this, he is the most talented attorney I have ever worked with.’
‘Their approach is outstanding and they have an amazing ability to understand the disputes from both a legal side and from the commercial side.’
Scan Global Logistics A/S
- Advised Orifarm on obtaining a Phase II merger clearance in the first ever Danish merger case within the pharmaceuticals sector, following a protracted pre-notification and in-depth investigation.
- Advised digital platform Ageras A/S on the handling and defence of a matter leading to a decision by the Danish Competition Council on agreements and concerted practices between Ageras as a platform offering vertical services to partners being engaged by customers using the platform to acquire services.
- Representing Danmarks Nationalbank in all procurement law aspects of its prestige project to renovate its famous headquarter in central Copenhagen designed by renowned architect Arne Jacobsen, including handling of tenders to procure technical advisers, designing and handling procurement strategy and the numerous public tenders that are part of the entire project.
Best known for its expertise in advising on dominant undertakings, NJORD Law Firm also handles rebate schemes and selective distribution issues. The team has particular expertise within the pharmaceuticals and medical devices industries, advising major clients on the full spectrum of issues relating to competition and EU law, as well as advising on large public contracts and litigation. Practice head Thomas Ryhl maintains a prominent reputation as a litigator of pharmaceuticals, competition and public procurement cases.
‘Deep knowledge, skill set, local knowledge, German lawyers also available in Denmark.’
‘I have mostly worked with Thomas Ryhl and I’m impressed with his knowledge, competence and capabilities to find a solid solution.’
Smith & Nephew
KeyLoop (formerly CDK)
- Acting as lead counsel for Novartis Pharma & Ferring Pharmaceuticals in Europe-wide litigation against parallel importers; a number of cases on the new rules (Falsified Medicines Directive) now before the CJEU.
- Acting as lead counsel for a consortium of 1,700 major global institutional investors in the largest claim ever filed in Denmark, seeking more than €2.3bn in damages from Novo Nordisk A/S for violations of the Market Abuse Regulation.
- Advising Coloplast International on all complex EU competition law matters and the interplay with the EU procurement rules on a pan-European level.
Noted for its cross-border expertise, Plesner has a strong track record in EU cartel cases and follow-on damages actions in multiple jurisdictions. The EU and competition law team includes public procurement law specialists and is regularly instructed by contracting authorities and tenderers. Led by Gitte Holtsø, the group has specific expertise in abuse of dominance cases and vertical and horizontal cooperation agreements, and has strong contentious capabilities; Daniel Barry and Christian Karhula Lauridsen are the names to note. Rie Paving Mortensen is recommended for handling complex mergers.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Barry; Christian Karhula Lauridsen; Rie Paving Mortensen
‘Plesner is by far top of the list in Denmark with respect to competition law.’
‘They offer prompt, sound and to the point legal advice. Furthermore, they are thorough. We primarily use them for matters relating to investigations, syndicated loans and M&A.’
‘The competition law team at Plesner excel at their ability to convert endless complexity into bite-sized manageable legal questions.’
‘Daniel Barry, is by far the most well-respected and savvy competition lawyer in the country. His grasp of complexity is remarkable and second to none. He leaves no stone unturned. He is incredibly pleasant to work with and does not shy away from genuine honesty in assessments and dealings.’
Ørsted (formerly DONG Energy)
The Danish State (the Ministry of Finance)
FSN Capital Partners
Sund & Bælt Holding
British American Tobacco
The Danish Central Bank (Nationalbanken)
TDC A/S (incl. Nuuday)
Nissan Nordic Europe
- Assisted Tryg with its DKK60bn acquisition, together with Intact Financial Corporation, of the British insurance company, RSA Insurance Group plc., the largest transaction in Denmark ever.
- Assisted LEO Foundation and LEO Pharma A/S, one of the largest Danish pharmaceuticals companies, in connection with Nordic Capital’s acquisition of joint control of the LEO Pharma Group.
- Advised Kalaallit Airports on public procurement law matters in relation to the construction of the three new airports in Nuuk, Ilulissat and Qaqortoq in Greenland.
Handling EU, competition and public procurement matters, Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab has a strong international focus, representing clients before the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority as well as the Swedish Competition Authority, the European Commission in Brussels and the German courts. The practice is jointly led by Peter Dann Jørgensen and Morten Nissen; Jørgensen is a public procurement law expert, while Nissen is a competition law specialist. The group is particularly strong in IT procurement mandates, providing cross-border and domestic advice to public sector organisations and utilities.
Peter Dann Jørgensen; Morten Nissen
Other key lawyers:
Mikkel Taanum; Thomas Thorup Larsen
‘Thomas Larsen is highly skilled in and recommended for public procurement matters. He is very pragmatic and dedicated to delivering the best solution to the issue at hand.’
‘The team headed by Morten Nissen is only one of two firms who are able to offer worldwide advice. Secondly, the team is known for being very aware of the client’s needs and to assist them in performing rather than writing long and technical memos.’
‘Peter Dann Jørgensen is absolutely a high performer.’
‘Morten Nissen is the best competition lawyer I have ever worked with. His many years in Brussels give him an international overview, which I have not found elsewhere and which gives him a clear edge on his competitors in Denmark. He has a very sharp legal mind, is creative and is constantly focused on obtaining results that matter for me.’
‘They have a strong team within public procurement, led by Peter Dann Jørgensen, who is pleasant and skilled at the same time. They are especially strong within IT procurement.’
Confederation of European Paper Industries (CEPI)
Aalborg Forsyning A/S
Municipality of Odense (now Odense City Museums)
The Municipal Digitalization Association (DIGIT)
Danish Ministry of Taxation
- Advised Mastercard Inc on a $3.2bn acquisition of Betalingsservice from Nets.
- Advised the Municipal Digitalization Association (11 Danish municipalities) on the acquisition of a complex IT system for social, health and care services.
- Advised Aalborg Forsyning in the tender procedure for a district cooling system to various public and private clients including Aalborg University Hospital and IKEA.
DLA Piper Denmark is a ‘solid force in the Danish market’ and handles the full spectrum of EU, competition and public procurement law issues. The team also advises on criminal cases related to competition law infringements as well as cases regarding cartel behaviour in the media, IT and entertainment industries and the industrial sector. Michael Klöcker is head of the overall practice group, while Mikala Berg Dueholm takes the lead on procurement matters, handling cases for public authorities and municipalities including the City of Copenhagen.
Other key lawyers:
Rune Hamborg; Mikala Berg Dueholm
‘The team is absolutely flexible.’
‘Excellent commercial/business understanding, short, accurate and to the point legal advice directly applicable in daily practice, good understanding of needs in the future legal framework.’
‘DLA is a solid force in the Danish market.’
‘The team is quick to respond and come up with drafts for solving a task.’
‘The team are versatile, fast and accurate in their counselling and extremely knowledgeable within their legal field. They handle small cases and large legal projects with the same zeal.’
‘You know that when Michael Klöcker is on the other side, you are in for a hard time where you have to be on your toes. He’s a very smart lawyer, knows his law and his background at the DCCA has given him an understanding of how the authority works and how to deal with them.’
Copenhagen Airports A/S
JP Politikens Hus A/S
J. Jensen Group
- Advising HUGO BOSS on a dual distribution set up, which by the Danish authorities has been labelled a horizontal information and coordination arrangement.
- Assisting the City of Copenhagen with the procurement of an IT system managing all parts of employment efforts in the City of Copenhagen, including managing the citizens’ job search history and deadlines for benefits.
- Assisted Polaris Private Equity with a transaction notified to the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority under the Danish merger control regulation.
Honoré, Fallesen & Andersen Advokatfirma ApS
Honoré, Fallesen & Andersen Advokatfirma ApS is a boutique law firm specialising in state aid, competition, public procurement and EU law. Founded in 2019 by Michael Honoré, the ‘stand-out’ group is comprised of three partners with more than 40 years of experience combined. Public procurement specialist Asbjørn Dalum Andersen joined from Bech-Bruun in April 2021 and has extensive experience advising contracting authorities and utility companies. The group is also well equipped to handle contentious cases and regularly represents clients before the Danish courts as well as the European Court of Justice. Asbjørn Godsk Fallesen specialises in state aid mandates.
‘This is a stand-out practice for State aid work. They have very deep knowledge of this niche and have over a short period of time built up a very considerable practice in this area. As they are a niche firm they are well placed for helping other law firms in complex cases as subcontractors or co-counsel.’
‘The team is ultra-specialized within competition law and are additionally very pleasant to work with.’
‘Very easy to work with and extremely knowledgeable. They are transparent and there is no doubt that they are always – always – working in the best interest of the client.’
‘Michael Honoré is one of the best EU State aid lawyers not only in Denmark but in the whole EU.’
‘The partners’ knowledge is very comprehensive, and they all have a deep insight into EU regulation and of the relevant practice of the rules. Together they have a broad and wide embracing understanding of the complex regulations regarding EU Competition and State Aid.’
‘I have never met such a dedicated and experienced professional within this legal field. At the same time, Michael Honoré is very likeable and humble. He takes great honour in his work and always provides great value to us.’
‘Excellent, first-class knowledge about the EU state aid guidelines and issues thereto related.’
‘Michael Honoré and Asbjørn Godsk Fallesen are excellent competition lawyers – and deliver great legal and strategic advice. They are easy to work with and have great people skills.’
Vækstfonden – The Danish Growth Fund
Landbrug & Fødevarer
Nokas Danmark A/S
Ringkøbing Skjern Kommune
Kopenhagen Fur / Dansk Pelsdyravlerforening
Haarslev Invest A/S
ferm LIVING ApS
Rederi Aktiebolaget Nordö-Link
Jørgen Jensen Distribution A/S
- Representing the Norwegian cash handling company Nokas Værdihåndtering A/S in a follow-on case for damages before the Danish Commercial and Maritime High Court against the dominant operator, Loomis Danmark, involving complex competition law issues (including exclusive purchasing and below cost pricing).
- Acting on behalf of the logistics company Jørgen Jensen Distribution A/S in a case before the General Court of the European Union concerning different types of state aid measures granted to the Danish incumbent postal operator, Post Danmark.
- Representing the ferry operator Nordö-Link AB before the European Court of Justice in an appeal case concerning very significant aid amounts granted by the Danish state to finance the construction of the fixed link (Fehmarn Belt) between Germany and Denmark.
Horten‘s strengths include handling follow-on damage claims, merger control work and infringement investigations. The team is also strong in distribution and competition law matters, advising both private and publicly owned companies and authorities. On the public procurement and state aid side, the group advises several Danish municipalities and is particularly adept at handling issues within the sport, aviation, environment and energy sectors. Practice head Andreas Christensen is a prominent public procurement practitioner, handling several cases before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement. Annelouise Dalgaard Pedersen and Marie Løvbjerg are other names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Annelouise Dalgaard Pedersen; Peter Gregersen; Marie Løvbjerg
‘Horten has great competence in regards to competition for FMCG and they stand out in Denmark in regards to their experience in the new rules regarding unfair trading practices.’
‘Marie Løvbjerg has excellent industry knowledge for FMCG, is pragmatic, a good speaker and nice to work with.’
‘Horten is a young and very dynamic firm. It communicates very well, with efficient use of social media. In this field of the law, we turn very regularly to this team.’
‘The team is very communicative and is a pleasant partner to work with. Our main contacts are Andreas Christensen and Marie Løvjberg.’
MAN Truck & Bus AG
The Municipality of Aarhus
Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique Nordic A/S
The City of Copenhagen
MLDK – Mærkevareleverandørerne
Sikkerhedsstyrelsen (the Danish Safety Technology Authority)
Peek & Cloppenburg
The Municipality of Vordingborg
Fonden Svendborg Maritime Uddannelsescenter
- Advised MAN Truck & Bus AG in relation to the follow-on damage claims after the European Commission’s decision regarding the Truck Cartel.
- Advised Peek & Cloppenburg on the acquisition of Denmark’s largest chain of department stores, Magasin du Nord.
- Advised MLDK on all matters regarding competition law, compliance and legal aspects within policy and lobbying.
Søren Hilbert leads the public procurement team at Lundgrens, specialising in public-private projects with a particular focus on urban developments including storm flood protection and coastal protection projects. The team has extensive experience representing clients before the Danish Complaints Board for Public Procurement and has experience across many sectors, including the welfare, construction, healthcare and IT industries; Michael Alstrøm is a specialist in welfare, healthcare and public supply mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very strong team in terms of legal expertise within the area of public-private partnerships. The skills of senior staff are what makes Lundgrens stand out from the competition.’
‘Innovation. Many legal experts focus on the legal challenges. Lundgrens focuses on both legal challenges and opportunities.’
City of Aarhus
Municipality of Hørsholm
Freja Ejendomme A/S
Kube Data ApS
Municipality of Frederiksberg
Greater Copenhagen Committee
Skellefteå Kraft AB
- Assisting The Municipality of Aarhus in designing the bidding process and drafting the terms for urban development projects involving various private, public, and semi-public stakeholders and urban areas with great complexity and great public and political focus.
- Assisting KAB, Denmark’s largest administrator of non-profit housing, with the public procurement strategy related to the one of the largest sustainable drainage projects in the country to date.
- Assisting Skellefteå Kraft with the organisation and implementation of a public procurement process concerning utility companies and the implementation of electrical power charging stations.
As key counsel to the Danish state, Poul Schmith provides ‘outstanding legal advice regarding EU state aid rules’. The firm leverages its public sector expertise and regulatory capacity to represent both Danish and foreign companies in procurement, EU and competition work. The group advises on vertical and horizontal agreements, abuse of dominance claims and merger control cases. Practice co-head Kristian Hartlev is the key practitioner for public procurement work, specialising in infrastructure and renewable energy projects. Fellow co-heads Rass Holdgaard and Jacob Pinborg have extensive experience in contentious mandates and lead the firm’s competition work, respectively. Christina Heiberg-Grevy joined from Accura Advokatpartnerselskab.
Jacob Pinborg; Kristian Hartlev; Rass Holdgaard
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Estrup Ippolito
‘The team consists of a group of very experienced, talented people. As it relates to public procurement there is no match for the collective. As a result, most often someone has tried or considered a particular approach however niche as knowledge is effectively shared.’
‘Kristian Hartlev is outstanding in providing holistic advice and guidance on public procurement and bridging any other relevant topic into the specific procurement at hand. Kristian provides a good, calm influence in every process which can be valuable in any procurement process.’
‘All individuals work efficiently in a team. They are all interested in fully understanding very detailed technical engineering questions in order to give the best legal advice.’
‘Very strong team within state aid and procurement.’
‘Outstanding legal advice regarding EU state aid rules. Very knowledgeable. Very pleasant people. Easy to talk with.’
‘Rass Holdgaard is highly skilled, always well prepared and extremely pleasant to work with.’
‘Great ability to get non-legal experts to understand the importance of, and give hands-on advice for doing things in the right legal way. Very good insight into the Danish and European public procurement rules and processes.’
‘All involved individuals were very professional at all times. In particular, Andreas Estrup Ippolito had an amazing capability to come up with very relevant perspectives, remarks and ideas even when dealing with complicated technical issues.’
Lyngby-Taarbæk Forsyning A/S
Rejsekort & Rejseplan A/S
Danish National Police
Danish Ministry of Defence
Danish Ministry of Transport
Sund & Bælt Holding A/S
Danish Ministry of Culture
Danish Competition Council/Competition Appeals Tribunal
Danish Ministry of Finance
Danish Ministry of Climate, Energy and Utilities
Danish Energy Agency
EKF, Denmark’s Export Credit Agency
Danish Veterinary and Food Administration (part of the Ministry of Environment and Food)
Danish Defence Acquisition and Logistics Organisation
Danmarks Radio/Danish Broadcasting Corporation
Copenhagen Airports A/S
- Advising the Danish Competition Council in a highly significant case about price coordination.
- Representing DSB before the Complaints Board for Public Procurement in a case regarding DSB’s €5.4bn acquisition of new electrical trains and fully outsourced maintenance services for up to 40 years.
- Advising the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority in a case concerning whether the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority was entitled to refuse to grant a party access to certain information in a case.
Viltoft fields a full-service procurement practice, advising both public and private clients on all aspects of domestic and EU procurement work. It specialises in the construction and real estate sectors and is regularly instructed by public authorities on high-value mandates. The team advises on tender processes and contract drafting as well as representing clients in disputes. Focusing on public private partnerships and urban development projects, Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen leads the team with Eva Olesen.
Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen; Eva Olesen
‘Very competent team with specialists within the areas we need assistance for.’
‘They always give a very fast reply, they are very business-oriented. They are easy to understand even though law issues can be difficult.’
‘Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen does a professional job with a high standard in the market.’
‘Viltoft has a very high level of knowledge within EU, competition and public procurement practice.’
‘The employees from Viltoft are very flexible and service-minded.’
‘The core value to a potential client is the range and depth of Viltoft’s knowledge and expertise relating to all legal aspects of construction projects and associated services.’
Gottlieb Paludan Architects
Municipality of Vordingborg
Municipality of Roskilde
- Advised employer Hovedstadens Letbane I/S on all construction law and public procurement issues relating to Letbane på Ring 3 (The Greater Copenhagen Light Rail), a 27 km light rail with 27 stations and a total value of DKK6-7bn.
- Represented Metroselskabet in a complaints case which raised interesting questions about the right for contracting authorities in EU tenders to allow changes in the composition of participating tenderers (consortia) within the limits of the applicable EU regulation.
- Assisting Region Sjælland – as legal adviser to the main client consultant, COWI A/S – in all legal matters related to the preparation of tenders, including drafting of procurement documents, conditions of contract, and participation in contract negotiations related to the building of Zealand University Hospital in Køge, a DKK4bn project expected to be finished in 2025.
Led by Philip S. Thorsen, Mazanti-Andersen handles the full gamut of competition law mandates, with M&A competition issues being a core area of expertise for the team. The group is also strong in handling private and competition authority investigations as well as public procurement cases relating to large-scale infrastructure projects in Denmark and Europe. For anti-competitive agreement expertise, Mia Anne Gantzhorn is recommended.
Philip S. Thorsen
Other key lawyers:
Mia Anne Gantzhorn
AFA JCDecaux A/S
H.J. Hansen Genvindingsindustri A/S
- Representing AFA JCDecaux in a matter concerning coordination of price elements between two competitors, AFA JCDecaux A/S and Clear Channel Danmark A/S.
- Represented BioVækst A/S in a matter concerning a claim Københavns Kommune regarding a public procurement procedure.
- Advised H.J. Hansen Genvindingsindustri A/S on it’s acquisition of Uniscrap A/S from the Scholz Group. The merger was subject to merger filling in Denmark.
Nielsen Nørager is best known for its handling of state aid cases and abuse of dominance claims. Henrik Peytz and Lotte Hummelshøj jointly lead the EU, competition and public procurement law group that regularly represents clients before the CJEU as well as the Danish Complaints Board on Public Procurement. The group also advises on tender processes, including the preparation of tender materials as well as the evaluation of bids.
Henrik Peytz; Lotte Hummelshøj
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Mygind; Sebastian A. Pedersen
‘Good industry knowledge.’
‘Extremely high competency as well as timely presence and professionality.’
‘Very high work productivity leading to full coverage of all aspects of the case.’
‘In relation to State Aid and EC Law, the team in Nielsen Nørager has a very strong capacity in Thomas Mygind. Thomas has a unique ability to be updated and familiar with all relevant case law and to draw this into his handling of concrete cases.’
‘Know the law very well and able to apply it commercially. Also looks at fees for projects, not just the hourly fee structure.’
‘Henrik Peytz – very client-focused and amazing attention to detail.’
Danish Employers’ Association
Lindø Port of Odense
The Danish Chamber of Commerce
FynBus, Sydtrafik and Midttrafik