Environment in Denmark
Singled out for its ‘hands-on knowledge of the relevant legal issues concerning environmental regulations’, Bech-Bruun is best known for handling environmental mandates involving major infrastructure projects in the energy and transport sectors. Håkun Djurhuus and Jacob Schall Holberg jointly lead the group, which has an extensive track record in environmental regulatory conduct cases, acting for private companies and public authorities. Noted for her ‘outstanding legal knowledge’, Hanne Mølbeck specialises in compulsory purchases, while senior associate Mark Christian Walters assists clients with large-scale environment-related projects. Former practice co-head Jacob Brandt departed to Codex Advokater in mid-2020.
Håkun Djurhuus; Jacob Schall Holberg
Other key lawyers:
Hanne Mølbeck; Per Hemmer; Mark Christian Walters
‘They have hands-on knowledge of the relevant legal issues concerning environmental regulations.’
‘The practice is very committed to offering 360 degree, all-round advice which is operable for the client.’
‘They are very present in their approach, able to listen and very holistic in their counselling.’
‘Hanne Mølbeck offers operable solutions – even with short notice in a situation of high conflict. She has a practitioner’s mindset in combination with outstanding legal knowledge.’
Region Zealand (Region Sjælland)
The Municipality of Roskilde
Odense Letbane P/S
The Danish Agriculture and Food Council
The Municipality of Aalborg
APM Terminals – Aarhus A/S
Municipality of Assens
Region Northern Jutland
Municipality of Copenhagen
Municipality of Aarhus
Municipality of Helsingør
Municipality of Lejre
Municipality of Middelfart
FMC (formerly Cheminova A/S)
DSV Environmental Group
- Assisting Femern A/S with various environmental and public law issues relating to the project that will ultimately lead to the construction of the longest immersed tunnel in the world.
- Advising Energinet on the Baltic Pipe Project, a major infrastructure project which aims to improve the transmission of natural gas from Norway to Poland, Denmark, Sweden, the Baltic countries, and central and eastern regions of Europe.
- Advising on The Nord Stream 2 project, a major cross-border energy infrastructure project that will deliver natural gas from Russian gas reserves to the EU gas market.
DLA Piper Denmark’s environment group is led by Line Marie Pedersen, who demonstrates an ‘in-depth knowledge of special pollution of soil and groundwater’ issues. The practice is also particularly active in environmental due diligence, environmental planning work, environmental liability claims, environmental impact assessments and climate change projects. In addition to its robust public authority and municipality client roster, the group acts for a wide variety of real estate, insurance and energy companies, as well as state governments and private individuals. Kurt Bardeleben left the group to join SIRIUS advokater in 2019.
Line Marie Pedersen
Other key lawyers:
Per Vestergaard Pedersen
‘Very professional and good knowledge.’
‘Always get an answer very quickly. Great knowledge.’
‘Very competent and great knowledge of environmental legislation. Can explain so everybody can understand it. Always communicate with a smile.’
‘Extensive professional knowledge and sparring in the field of environment and other legal issues.’
‘Line Marie Pedersen: Always ready to help even within complicated cases, and incredibly good at getting acquainted with the technical part of cases in addition to the legal part.’
‘Line and her team maintain a particularly high legal level in the field of environmental law. Line has an in-depth knowledge of special pollution of soil and groundwater issues both in relation to the legal framework and insurance coverage. They are skilled and thorough, but not least they have an excellent commercial approach to solving the problems.’
‘As mentioned above, Line is a very skilled environmental lawyer. She is also kind, pleasant, attentive and good at listening to client needs. In addition, she is always available and will return quickly. Line is probably the lawyer in Denmark with the best knowledge of contamination.’
The Danish Petroleum Industry Association (Drivkraft Danmark)
The Greenland Government, including its Environmental Agency for Mineral Resource Activities, Ministry of Mineral Resources, Ministry of Industry and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Energy
A/S Dansk Shell
AIG Europe S.A.
Dansk Fuels A/S
Topdanmark Forsikring A/S
The Danish Central Stockholding Entity (FDO)
Københavns Lufthavne A/S (Copenhagen Airports A/S)
Colas Danmark A/S
Avista Oil Danmark A/S
Alm. Brand A/S
Lidl Danmark A/S
De Dansk Bilimportører (The association of Danish Car importers)
YX Energi A/S
UnoX Energi A/S
Maabjerg Energy Center-Group
FF Skagen A/S
The Danish Petroleum Industry Association’s Energy Saving Pool
- Assisting Danske Olieberedskabslagre/The Danish Stockholding Entity (FDO) on a regular basis with environmental permits, protecting its pipeline network and other similar ad hoc projects, and ensuring that FDO complies with Danish legislation.
- Advising Greenland Government on legal matters relating to the exploration for and the exploitation of minerals and oil and gas, hydropower activities, other natural resource activities and the related environmental matters.
- Assisted A/S Dansk Shell with environmental law advice concentrated around the company’s refinery, including environmental approvals, wastewater permits, advice in relation to BAT, remediation of soil and groundwater contamination.
With a robust local public authority practice, Horten is involved in a large number of high-profile matters, including cases before the Danish courts and administrative authorities. Areas of strength for the team include conducting environmental due diligence and risk assessment analyses, as well as representing clients in complex litigation. Group head Henriette Soja is primarily instructed on public law issues, especially construction-related mandates, while Poul Hvilsted provides legal, strategic and commercial advice concerning environmental and planning law. Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll has additional capabilities in easements and climate and supply regulations.
Other key lawyers:
Poul Hvilsted; Line Markert; Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll
‘Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll provides hands-on advice and has a good understanding of the practical and commercial context. In her communication she makes complex issues easy to understand and cuts to the bone.’
Lemvig Vand & Spildevand
The City of Copenhagen
The Metropolitan Copenhagen Heating Transmission Company (CTR)
The Municipality of Stevns
The Municipality of Odense
The Municipality of Elsinore
The North Denmark Region
The Municipality of Syddjurs
The Municipality of Frederikshavn
The Municipality of Lyngby-Taarbæk
A Espersen A/S
The Municipality of Randers
The Municipality of Kolding
The Danish Green Investment Fund
- Acted for HOFOR Spildevand A/S in an appeal in the Supreme Court against a decision concerning the financing of wastewater systems within city development projects.
- Represented the City of Copenhagen before the Copenhagen City Court in a matter regarding waste charge where the court found that the general waste charge was valid.
- Representing the City of Copenhagen in a legal action against the Danish Road Directorate concerning a fundamental problem regarding the collection of payment for separate control of public road areas.
In addition to being engaged by public institutions in a large number of high-profile environmental disputes, Poul Schmith also provides public authorities, municipalities and infrastructure enterprises with non-contentious regulatory advice on environmental matters, particularly in the construction sector. Environmental litigator Stig Grønbæk Jensen heads up the firm’s practice, which also includes Britta Moll Bown, who is a member of the board of Danish Environmental Lawyers and is singled out for her regulatory expertise. Another name to note is Sarah Jano, who is recognised for her knowledge of environmental issues arising from large construction and infrastructure projects.
Stig Grønbæk Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Jano; Britta Moll Bown
‘This law firm is extremely professional in its approach and provides a high level of professional advice. At the same time, they ensure an understanding of the company they are advising.’
‘We have had the pleasure of working together with Sarah Jano in matters related to cables and utilities. Her advice has always been excellent. She has deep knowledge about the legal framework and an understanding of the special needs that come along with a large infrastructure project.’
‘Sarah Jano has integrity, professionalism and a great understanding of our business.’
‘Always provides high quality advice, service and an understanding of our needs.’
The Danish Environmental and Food Board of Appeal
The Danish Planning Board of Appeal
The Danish Environmental Protection Agency
Region Hovedstaden (Capital Region)
The Danish Business Authority
Rail Net Denmark (Banedanmark)
The Danish Energy Board of Appeal
The Danish Road Directorate
The Danish Ministry of Environment and Food
By og Havn (CPH City and Harbour Development)
Hovedstadens Letbane (Greater Copenhagen Light Rail)
- Representing the Environmental and Food Board of Appeal and the Environmental Protection Agency in a case regarding the conditions for receiving and depositing approx. ten million tonnes of surplus soil by the largest transport company in Denmark, DSV Transport A/S, in the Ågesholm Gravel Pit (Ågesholm Grusgrav).
- Assisting the Danish Road Directorate with regulatory matters in relation to the establishment of a new 35km electrified high-speed railway across Western Funen.
- Providing advice and regulatory assistance to Femern A/S in connection with the establishment of the legal basis for the fixed link across the Femern Belt and the related land installations in Denmark.
Jointly led by Lotte Eskesen, Hans-Peter Jørgensen and Uffe Bøgelund Jensen, Gorrissen Federspiel’s expertise ranges from transactional issues to environmental litigation. The group receives a steady flow of M&A-related transactions and mandates pertaining to waste management issues, soil and groundwater pollution remediations, environmental approvals, environmental due diligence, environmental risk assessments and transfers of undertakings. It also advises on regulatory issues concerning EU and Danish legislation.
Lotte Eskesen; Hans-Peter Jørgensen; Uffe Bøgelund Jensen
Rhode Nielsen A/S
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Energi Danmark A/S
Aquila European Renewables Income Fund
- Advised Energi Danmark A/S on the divestment of Energi Danmark Vind A/S – a subsidiary owning eight onshore wind parks – to Encavis AG.
- Advised Aquila European Renewables Income Fund on the acquisition of Svindbaek Vindkraft HoldCo ApS – a subsidiary owning ten onshore wind mills – from European Energy A/S.
- Acting for MB&JFP I/S in a dispute with its sub-contractor regarding soil and sewerage work performed by the sub-contractor.
Plesner focuses on environmental and spatial issues relating to expropriation work and major infrastructure and construction projects, particularly in the energy sector. The team is also regularly instructed on regulatory issues, M&A-related transactions and mandates concerning the supply of water, wastewater and waste disposal services. The practice is jointly spearheaded by Niklas Korsgaard Christensen and Ellen Skodborggaard, who is president of the Association of Danish Environmental Lawyers and handles conservation, preservation and nature protection matters.
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen; Ellen Skodborggaard
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong overall practice that covers all our needs with skilled and professional lawyers.’
LEGO / Kirkbi
Municipality of Rudersdal
Municipality of Allerød
Carlsbergfondet (the Carlsberg Foundation)
Danish Oil Pipe
- Advising Gaz-Systems on the establishment of an international gas transmission pipeline in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised Ørsted on the divestment of bioenergy activities in Denmark.
- Advised Infranode on its investment in the development of Northern Europe’s largest solar park.
Skilled in public law matters, SIRIUS advokater primarily advises large public authorities and municipalities on administrative law, environmental law and planning law issues. The practice also handles nature protection, climate change and expropriation mandates, alongside environmental litigation and agriculture-related matters. The practice is headed up by Søren Stenderup Jensen and Kurt Helles Bardeleben, who joined in 2019 from DLA Piper Denmark.
Søren Stenderup Jensen; Kurt Helles Bardeleben
Other key lawyers:
Københans Lufthavne A/S (CPH)
ELF Development A/S
NCC Industry A/S
Teliam, Filial af Telia AB
Nordic Waterproofing A/S
Hessel Pharma ApS
Municipality of Køge
Arwos Forsyning A/S
Din Forsyning A/S
SK Forsyning A/S
KLAR Forsyning A/S
Municipality of Gladsaxe
UTF Holding ApS
Taasinge Elementer A/S
- Acting for the Municipality of Køge in an injunction before the City Court of Roskilde and the High Court for Eastern Denmark regarding a landowner’s illegal construction of an amusement park.
- Advised the Municipality of Hvidovre on the major land reclamation project, The Islets.
- Advised Arwos Forsyning and DIN Forsyning on the utility aspects of Google and Facebook data centres in their supply areas.
Singled out for its 'extensive knowledge of environmental legislation', Haugaard | Braad is primarily instructed by municipalities and mid-size companies. The Aalborg-based group is jointly headed up by Rasmus Haugaard and Flemming Elbæk, who has particular expertise in the environmental aspects of urban development projects, environmental permits, environmental impact assessments, litigation, soil pollution and wastewater issues, and nature conservation work.
Flemming Elbæk; Rasmus Haugaard
‘HaugaardBraad Advokatfirma has on several occasions been able to create legal solutions for public law and environmental law matters that initially looked very difficult to solve.’
‘Skilled in environmental law and strategic and environmental assessments with a demonstrated history in municipal tasks.’
‘Provides outstanding legal advice within the Danish and European environmental legislation and has a deep knowledge of the relevant case-law. The strengths of Haugaard-Braad are their agility in terms of combining the different interconnected environmental legislation into sound and robust advice, and their ability to deliver on time and with a solid argumentation that gives value to the projects.’
‘Extensive knowledge of environmental legislation and its interpretation as well as the use of practice from the Appeals Board.’
‘They are unique because they understand the technical and administrative issues associated with environmental issues. Their advice and legal solutions are always accurate and very useful because they understand the client’s problem.’
‘In addition to his unique legal and analytical skills, Flemming Elbæk has extensive knowledge of drafting legal texts and how authorities work.’
‘Excellent knowledge about Danish environmental legislation and a large variety of lawsuit decisions. Good understanding of the core of complex law cases and derive proposals on their behalf. Extensive networking within environmental authorities and trade organisations.’
Port of Aalborg
Municipality of Aalborg
Municipality of Rebild
Municipality of Hillerød
Municipality of Brønderslev
Danish Agriculture and Food Council
Aalborg Portland A/S
- Advised the Municipality of Hillerød on a permit for the treatment plant, Solrødgård.
- Assisting the Port of Aalborg with selling a large area to Aalborg Energy Holding A/S (Utilities of Aalborg).
- Assisting the Municipality of Aalborg with a permit for the acquisition of a harbour area in Aalborg meant for urban development.
Kromann Reumert’s team, which is headed up by Kim Trenskow, demonstrates capabilities across the spectrum of environmental and planning issues, most notably in contentious matters and disputes concerning contamination and pollution issues. The group regularly represents clients in compliance cases and hearings before the Danish Environmental Protection Agency, in addition to applications and approval requests through the Food and Environmental Board of Appeal.
Other key lawyers:
Mads U. Østergaard
Snaptun Fisk Export A/S
The Central Denmark Region
NGF Nature Energy Biogas A/S
Oiltanking Copenhagen A/S
The Regional Council of Southern Denmark
- Advising Central Denmark on the potential environmental liabilities and regulatory scheme of one of the major intergenerational soil contaminations in Denmark – the deposits and contamination from the historic production facilities of Cheminova A/S in western Denmark.
- Acting for HOFOR A/S in the first principle dispute regarding the legality of administrative orders issued to primarily farmers restricting the use of areas surrounding drinking water drillings, as well as the parallel compensation procedures under the Danish Environmental Protection Act.
- Representing the entire sea farming sector against the Danish Environmental Protection Agency in 18 cases regarding compliance with the Danish Fisheries Act, including advice regarding potential injunctions on the suspension of operations as well as the interpretation and understanding of principle issues on sea farming with respect to the Habitat Directive.
Lundgrens' team primarily advises municipalities on environmental issues arising from planning and project development work, with particular expertise in environmental assessments. Social housing organisations and private developers are also part of the group's client base. Søren Hilbert leads the practice and also handles nature protection measures and climate change financing projects.
Byudviklingsselskabet Favrholm A/S
Municipality of Esbjerg
Municipality of Randers
Municipality of Hvidovre
The City of Copenhagen
The City of Aarhus
Freja Ejendomme A/S
- Advising KAB, a social housing organisation, on a complex urban development in Tingbjerg, Copenhagen, under a partnership with Nordic Real Estate Partners A/S.
- Advising the City of Aarhus on the urban development of a new city district on top of the railway passage in the city centre.
- Advising the Municipality of Randers on models for the implementation and financing of a storm flood protection project, protecting comprehensive urban areas along the fjord and river delta of Randers.