Core areas of expertise for DLA Piper Denmark‘s environment, health and safety group include contaminated soil, EIA work, nature protection and waste regulation. The group represents a range of clients, from real estate companies to private individuals and public authorities. Practice head Line Marie Pedersen is a ‘very skilled environmental lawyer’ and is supported by Dorte Kirkeskov Carlsson, who regularly advises the City of Copenhagen on municipality and local planning work as well as orders regarding polluting activities. The team also handles energy and natural resources issues, with a particular focus on hydropower, water, minerals and oil and gas mandates; Per Vestergaard Pedersen is especially active in these areas.
Environment in Denmark
Line Marie Pedersen
Other key lawyers:
Per Vestergaard Pedersen; Dorte Kirkeskov Carlsson
‘Long experience and expertise in environmental legislation and practice.’
‘I have always experienced DLA Piper as a very professional and committed partner with extensive experience and a unique knowledge within environmental legislation in Denmark. We consider DLA Piper to be one of the leading law firms in Denmark.’
‘I have always experienced Line as a very competent partner who can explain the legal issues in a way that is understandable to non-legal experts. Line always follows up on the task and is always available when there is a need for clarifying questions from the client. I have experienced a very good collaboration between Lene and lawyer Dorte Kirkeskov Carlsson who together have formed a very strong team.’
‘Line Marie Petersen is one of the most respected and recognized lawyers with many years of experience in environmental law in Denmark. She has gathered a team of highly qualified lawyers around her given the perfect balance between skills and cost-effective.’
‘Line and her team maintain a particularly high legal level in the field of environmental law. Line has an in-depth knowledge of special contamination of soil and groundwater both in relation to the legal framework and insurance coverage.’
‘They are skilled and thorough, but not least they have excellent commercial approach to solving the problems. In addition, Line in particular has a good technical understanding of soil and groundwater pollution management. The team consists of a good mix of both men and women, as well as experienced and younger lawyers. The tasks are placed where it makes the best sense in relation to the complexity of the matter.’
‘Line is a very skilled environmental lawyer. She is also kind, pleasant, attentive and good at listening to client needs. In addition, she is always available and will return quickly.’
The Danish Petroleum Industry Association (Drivkraft)
The Greenland Government and its Environmental Agency for Mineral Resource Activities
Ministry of Mineral Resources and its Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Energy
Crossbridge Energy A/S (former A/S Dansk Shell)
AIG Europe S.A
DCC Energy Center A/S
Topdanmark Forsikring A/S
Chubb Insurance Compagny
The Danish Central Stockholding Entity (FDO)
Copenhagen Airports A/S
Colas Danmark A/S
Avista Oil Danmark A/S
The City of Copenhagen
The municipality of Frederiksberg
Frederiksberg Forsyning A/S
Maabjerg Energy Center A/S
The Danish Petroleum Industry Association’s Energy Saving Pool
Lidl Danmark K/S
De Danske Bilimportører (The Danish Car Importers Association)
H. Lundbeck A/S
- Advising the Danish Car Importer Association regarding all aspects of producer responsibility in relation to end-of-life vehicles and used automotive batteries.
- Advising the Greenland Government for 18+ years, handling legal matters relating to exploration for and exploitation of minerals and oil and gas, hydropower activities, other natural resource activities and related environmental matters.
- Advising A/S Dansk Shell on environmental approvals, pollution conditions, nature protection, etc. in connection with the operation of the refinery in Fredericia.
Horten advises on all areas of environmental regulation, including emissions and pollution work, natural resources issues, protection of the environment and planning instruments for residential, commercial and agricultural developments. The team is strong in both contentious and non-contentious work, with experienced litigator Poul Hvilsted acting on behalf of private and public sector clients before complaints boards, the courts and arbitration tribunals. Practice head Henriette Soja specialises in public law issues, especially environmental and construction law, while Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll has extensive experience advising on public infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
Poul Hvilsted; Line Markert; Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll; Tue Trier Bing
‘Experienced and with a strong focus on solutions. The team understands the nature of the organization they consult and what may be needed. Transparent and informative.’
‘Both Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll and Tue Trier Bing are pleasant to work with and precise in both written and oral. They always deliver on time.’
‘Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll is diligent at communicating complicated matters to non-lawyers and understands the importance of balancing legal risks with commercial considerations.’
A Espersen A/S
Lemvig Vand & Spildevand
MT Højgaard A/S
Roskilde Sten & Grus Aps
Solum Roskilde ApS
The Danish Construction Association
The Danish Green Investment Fund
The Metropolitan Copenhagen Heating Transmission Company (CTR)
The Municipality of Allerød
The Municipality of Aarhus
The Municipality of Brøndby
The Municipality of Copenhagen
The Municipality of Elsinore
The Municipality of Frederikshavn
The Municipality of Gladsaxe
The Municipality of Guldborgsund
The Municipality of Horsens
The Municipality of Kolding
The Municipality of Lyngby-Taarbæk
The Municipality of Naestved
The Municipality of Odense
The Municipality of Randers
The Municipality of Syddjurs
The Municipality of Sønderborg
The North Denmark Region
- Assisted HOFOR Spildevand A/S with an appeal to the Supreme Court following a High Court judgement that overruled previous judgement from the Copenhagen City Court regarding the financing of wastewater systems within city developments.
- Represented the City of Copenhagen in a court case regarding waste charges.
- Represented KL – Local Government Denmark (an organisation representing all 98 municipalities of Denmark) in an appeal to the Supreme Court in a case against the Danish Road Directorate, concerning a fundamental problem on the collection of payment for separate control of public road areas.
As the key adviser to the Danish Government, Poul Schmith has strong relationships with all key public bodies and provides a full-service environmental offering. It is also increasingly acting for semi-public clients, including infrastructure enterprises in the road and railway construction sectors. Stig Grønbæk Jensen and Britta Moll Brown jointly lead the practice, which is instructed on a broad range of non-contentious advisory matters in addition to complex disputes.
Stig Grønbæk Jensen; Britta Moll Brown
‘This team is highly specialised, and possesses in-depth knowledge of environmental law and practice. The team is very experienced, due to a wide range of public clients, generating a large amount of cases of principal importance.’
‘The environmental team must be considered one of the best in DK.’
‘The firm are extremely knowledgeable and also efficient when it comes to dealing with environmental issues. The firm has deep knowledge of our organisation, and the tasks and challenges we face. The co-operation is exemplary and they are excellent at communicating, also when it comes to complex legal disputes. The talent and dedication is such, that we have no need to look elsewhere when it comes to advisc and handling of disputes.’
‘The firm handles our legal disputes with great care and enthusiasm. It is evident that associates, lawyers and partners simply love what they do.’
‘Stig Grønbæk Jensen is the stand out partner and one of the most experienced and high quality environmental lawyers in Denmark, representing the Danish state in environmental law issues and legal proceedings.’
‘When it comes to public law and environmental law this firm is on top-level.’
‘Very well-experienced group of lawyers within the area of environment law, especially in relation to litigation. It feels very secure to leave the responsibility of cases to the members of the team. Always available for their clients and very professional in their relations to the clients.’
The Danish Environmental and Food Board of Appeal
The Danish Planning Board of Appeal
The Danish Environmental Protection Agency
Region Hovedstaden (Capital Region)
The Danish Business Authority
Rail Net Denmark (Banedanmark)
The Danish Energy Board of Appeal
The Danish Road Directorate
The Danish Ministry of Environment
By og Havn (CPH City and Port Development)
Hovedstadens Letbane (Greater Copenhagen Light Rail)
The Danish Ministry of Transportation
The Danish Energy Agency
The Danish Coastal Authority
The Danish National Agency for Housing and Physical Planning (Bolig- og Planstyrelsen)
Kabel Metall & Trafo Gjenvinning AS
Danish Veterinary and Food Administration
- Advising the Danish Ministry of Transportation on adopting the legal basis for the creation of the island Lynetteholm, a new peninsula in the Port of Copenhagen.
- Conducting a comprehensive legal review on behalf of the Danish Ministry of Environment into the administration and management of the Drinking Water Directive by the Danish Environmental Protection Agency.
- Providing Femern with advice and regulatory assistance in connection with the establishment of the legal basis for the fixed link across the Fehmarnbelt and the related land installations in Denmark.
The environment, nature and planning team at Bech-Bruun houses ‘outstanding’ and ‘highly specialised’ lawyers, who regularly represent clients in high-profile environmental disputes. The team handles cases before every level of the Danish court system, including the Supreme Court. It has a strong public sector client focus, working on behalf of several government agencies as well as advising major corporates and project owners. Public and environmental law specialist Jacob Schall Holberg leads the team. Mark Christian Walters and former practice head Håkun Djurhuus left the group, joining Codex Advokater and Lundgrens respectively.
Jacob Schall Holberg
Other key lawyers:
Hanne Mølbeck; Per Hemmer
‘Bech-Bruun has thorough knowledge of the public sector. Bech-Bruun provides advice and sparring on both regulatory, commercial and strategic matters. They have a good understanding of customer needs.’
‘The lawyers at Bech-Bruun are highly specialised and have many years of experience in their fields. They are very skilled and understand how to target their advice to the specific case.’
Region Zealand (Region Sjælland)
The Municipality of Roskilde
Odense Letbane P/S
The Danish Agriculture and Food Council
The Municipality of Aalborg
APM Terminals – Aarhus A/S
Municipality of Assens
Region Northern Jutland
Municipality of Copenhagen
Municipality of Aarhus
Municipality of Helsingør
Municipality of Lejre
Municipality of Middelfart
FMC (formerly Cheminova A/S)
DSV Environmental Group
Nord Stream 2 AG
Hovedstadens Letbane (The Greater Copenhagen Light Rail)
By & Havn
- Advising Nord Stream 2 AG on The Nord Stream 2 project, a large-scale, €9.5bn cross-border energy infrastructure project that will provide a direct link between Russian gas reserves and European gas consumers via the Baltic Sea to Germany.
- Represented By & Havn in the work process preceding the passing of the Danish Act on the construction of Lynetteholmen, a new city district on an artificial island covering 275 hectares in the centre of the Port of Copenhagen.
- Advising Metroselskabet, which has overall responsibility for the operation of Copenhagen’s metro system, in respect of the major metro expansion project.
Gorrissen Federspiel assists its blue-chip client base with contentious and non-contentious environmental law matters, including remediation of soil and groundwater pollution, waste management matters and issues relating to emission control. Co-led by Hans-Peter Jørgensen, the group has established real estate Fellow co-head Lotte Eskesen is an experienced litigator who handles claims relating to renewable energy projects.
Lotte Eskesen; Hans-Peter Jørgensen
Other key lawyers:
Uffe Bøgelund Jensen
Aquila European Renewables
Jyske Bank A/S
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Freja Ejendomme A/S
Shell Petroleum Company Ltd (Shell)
- Advised Aquila European Renewables Income Fund in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Svindbaek Vindkraft HoldCo ApS.
- Advised Shell Petroleum Company Ltd (Shell) on the divestment of its downstream business in Denmark including a refinery in Fredericia, Denmark.
- Advised Obton on its Solar Farm development activities as regards land lease agreements in Denmark.
Acting for a mix of commercial and industrial entities as well as public authorities, Kromann Reumert‘s team has extensive expertise in the full spectrum of environmental law and planning law issues. Led by Kim Trenskow, the group has strong litigation capabilities and is also well-equipped to handle major transactions and regulatory issues. Areas of expertise include expropriation work, nature protection and conservation matters, and soil contamination issues.
Other key lawyers:
Mads U. Østergaard
‘Kim Trenskow is an exceptional specialist in environmental law.’
‘Kromann is, in my opinion, a top law firm with regard to environmental law.’
‘Kim Trenskow is highly skilled in most aspects of environmental law.’
Snaptun Fisk Export A/S
The Central Denmark Region
NGF Nature Energy Biogas A/S
Oiltanking Copenhagen A/S
DSK – De Samvirkende Købmænd
The Regional Council of Southern Denmark
Affald Varme Aarhus
Fritz Schur Group
Danmarks Grønne Investeringsfond
European Energy A/S
- Representing HOFOR in the first principle cases regarding BNBO, i.e. the legality of administrative orders issued to primarily farmers restricting the use of areas surrounding drinking water drillings, as well as the parallel compensation procedures under the Danish Environmental Protection Act.
- Representing Dansk Akvakultur and AquaPri A/S before the Eastern High Court in a landmark case regarding the interpretation of the Habitat Directive in connection with the environmental approval of sea farming activities.
- Advising the municipalities of Jammerbugt and Vesthimmerland on the process of legalisation of the largest onshore wind farm in Denmark (Thorup-sletten) following a decision from the Environmental Board of Appeal in which the permits and plans for the wind farm were deemed invalid due to non-compliance with the Habitats Directive.
Lundgrens has ‘upgraded its environmental team’ with the arrival of environmental law expert and new practice head Håkun Djurhuus. Djurhuus and his team, who joined from Bech-Bruun in April 2021, have transformed the group’s environmental and public law offering as well as its contentious capabilities, having conducted several cases before the Danish Courts, including the Supreme Court. The team is prominent in handling environmental issues relating to planning and project developments, with Søren Hilbert specialising in urban developments. It advises a range of clients from social housing organisations and private developers to municipalities.
Other key lawyers:
‘Håkun Djurhuus is the stand out partner providing legal advice and assistance to private entities including the Danish agricultural organisations. Solid experience and high quality advice as well as a very charismatic personality.’
‘Lundgrens has upgraded its environmental team with higher competence and capacity.’
‘Performance concerning environmental law is outstanding. High ability to incorporate other aspects of a case (Eg. Politics, business matters, neighbours, physical environment) into the planning of legal procedures. Quick to read and understand the “battlefield.”’
‘Håkun Djurhuus – No one beside and no one above regarding the ability to practice environmental law.’
‘Håkun Djurhuus is the litigator you wish to have at your side when it comes to environmental cases. We have worked with him for a decade and achieved great results.’
Freja Ejendomme A/S
Danish Agriculture & Food Council
The City of Aarhus
Municipality of Hørsholm
Municipality of Lyngby-Taarbæk
Vision Ejendomme A/S
DSV Environmental Group A/S
Steen & Strøm Danmark A/S
- Representing DSV in a dispute regarding environmental permits for extraction of 100,000m2 sand and gravel per year.
- Assisting the Danish Agriculture & Food Council on behalf of Danish farmers, resulting in doubling the compensation for the ban on the use of pesticides.
- Assisting Realdania with a working group preparing a catalogue of best practice guidelines for protection against rising groundwater in urban areas.
Focusing on general public law, SIRIUS advokater‘s environmental practice handles issues relating to planning, nature protection, climate change and expropriation. Led by Søren Stenderup Jensen and Kurt Helles Bardeleben, the team primarily advises local municipalities and is retained by several public utility companies.
Søren Stenderup Jensen; Kurt Helles Bardeleben
Other key lawyers:
‘They provide excellent on-the-spot counsel, as well as highly professional handling of complex cases.’
‘Calmness and deep insight in legislation.’
‘Knowledge and insight – experience in the field for many, many years.’
NCC Industry A/S
Teliam, Filial af Telia AB
Nordic Waterproofing A/S
Hessel Pharma ApS
Municipality of Køge
Arwos Forsyning A/S
Din Forsyning A/S
SK Forsyning A/S
KLAR Forsyning A/S
UTF Holding ApS
Taasinge Elementer A/S
Evida Nord A/S
Municipality of Dragør
FSK Foreningen Skaansomt Kystfiskeri
Municipality of Odsherred
- Obtained an injunction case for the municipality of Køge before the City Court of Roskilde and the High Court for Eastern Denmark against a landowner’s illegal construction of an amusement park.
- Advised Hvidovre Kommune on the major land reclamation project ‘The Islets’.
- Advised Arwos Forsyning and DIN Forsyning on the utility aspects of Google and Facebook data centres in their supply areas as well as other major projects, including Power 2X Project in Esbjerg.
Based in Aalborg, the team at Haugaard | Braad is ‘deeply specialised in the field of environmental law’. Led by Flemming Elbaek who clients consider to be ‘one of the foremost lawyers in Denmark within the area of national and EU environmental legislation’, the group advises municipalities and mid-sized companies on the full gamut of issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Haugaard Braad Advokatfirma have, in my opinion, the best environmental lawyers you can find. They have a unique knowledge of environmental legislation, practices and administration.’
‘Flemming Elbæk is a very skilled and experienced lawyer. He is really good and quick to understand the core of the problem. You can always call Flemming and get really good advice.’
‘The team at Haugaard Braad is deeply specialized in the field of environmental law. What makes the team unique compared to others is that they have a strong professional relation to other consultant firms in the fields of engineering, environmental assessment and urban planning.’
‘Haugaard Braad excels in guidance and counselling of consulting companies, businesses and the local authorities through the complex labyrinth created by the environmental EU directives.’
‘Flemming Elbæk is one of the foremost lawyers in Denmark within the area of national and EU environmental legislation.’
‘This practice is the next generation within the environmental law. They know the needs of their clients and are completely reliable and prepared.’
‘I have the best impression of the company. They have the right qualifications and are good at communicating and are very accommodating.’
‘The team has highly professional knowledge about environmental regulation. They are able to find competitive and sustainable solutions in high complexity.’
Port of Aalborg
Municipality of Aalborg
Municipality of Rebild
Municipality of Horsens
Municipality of Ballerup
Aarhus Vand A/S (Utilities of Aarhus)
Danish Agriculture and Food Council
Aalborg Portland A/S
Entertainment Trading A/S
- Advising Danfoss A/S on the clean up of a highly contaminated site, Himmark Strand, in terms of soil.
- Assisting Aarhus Vand A/S with the EIA and permits regarding ‘Helhedsplan Tangkrogen’ which is a large plan covering a large harbour near an area in the centre of the city of Aarhus.
- Assisting the Municipality of Horsens with the planning regarding a business area and planning and construction of a road connecting the city of Horsens with motorway E45.
The environment team at Plesner handles a broad range of issues, including nature protection work, climate change issues and expropriation law. It works in conjunction with the M&A team and real estate department to provide regulatory due diligence on M&A transactions concerning some of the most environmentally regulated companies in Denmark. The group is also well-equipped to advise on public law issues, with new co-head Marcus Elskaer Mollerup specialising in this area. Niklas Korsgaard Christensen jointly leads the group. In March 2021, Ellen Skodborggaard left the firm to join the High Court of Eastern Denmark.
Other key lawyers:
‘Prompt responses, understanding of clients’ needs.’
‘Always a professional team to handle your problems. Easy to reach both by phone and e-mail – help can be given when needed.’
‘I can especially recommend Marcus Elskjær Mollerup.’
Metro Service A/S
Municipality of Rudersdal
Municipality of Allerød
- Advising Polish gas transmission system operator Gaz-Systems on the establishment of an international gas transmission pipeline in the Baltic Sea.
- Advised Arjun Infrastructure Partners on its investment in Sustainable Bio Solutions Aabenraa KS, large biogas production and upgrade project.
- Advised Infranode on investment in the development of Northern Europe’s largest solar park.