Environment in Denmark
Bech-Bruun has expertise in environmental regulatory conduct cases before the district courts, the high courts and the Supreme Court, which includes safeguarding the interests of both private companies and public authorities in connection with transport projects and energy infrastructure. The practice also advises on construction law disputes in relation to environmental requirements. Co-head Håkun Djurhuus is experienced in environmental law litigation and specialises in public and construction law. Co-head Jacob Brandt regularly advises state-owned businesses, regions and municipalities on legal issues concerning land use, as well as nature and environmental protection in connection with waste regulation and soil contamination.
Håkun Djurhuus; Jacob Brandt
Other key lawyers:
Per Hemmer; Hanne Mølbeck
Exceptional knowledge and experience of the team in the Environmental sector
Exceptionally high professional skills and impressive availability as well as short delivery times
Jacob Brandt in particular has a very large knowledge of public law
Jacob Brandt is an excellent lawyer
The Municipality of Roskilde
Odense Letbane P/S
The Danish Agriculture and Food Council
Municipality of Odsherred
APM Terminals – Aarhus A/S
Leo Pharma A/S
Municipality of Assens
Municipality of Copenhagen
Municipality of Aarhus
Municipality of Helsingør
Municipality of Lejre
ATP Ejendomme A/S
Xellia Parmaceuticals ApS
Municipality of Middelfart
DSV Environmental Group
- Continues to assist the state-owned company Femern A/S on various environmental and public law issues relating to a €7bn project that will ultimately lead to the construction of the longest immersed tunnel in the world between the German island of Fehmarn and the Danish island of Lolland
- Renders ongoing environmental advice regarding the permitting process in Denmark to the stakeholders of the Nord Stream 2 AG project
- Advising Metroselskabet I/S on environmental matters regarding the construction of the Copenhagen Mero city circle line
DLA Piper Denmark possesses expertise in the liability for contaminated soil, transactions involving contamination properties and businesses, environmental due diligence and environmental planning on behalf of municipalities. The practice also assists with the licensing of potentially polluting business activities, as well as with the regulation concerning the exports and imports of waste. Line Marie Pedersen heads the practice and regularly assesses the impact of climate change projects, including coastal flood protection measures and land reclamation projects.
Line Marie Pedersen
Other key lawyers:
Per Vestergaard Pedersen; Kurt Bardeleben
This practice knows the activities and history of our company and can help easily and without complicating matters
Very dedicated team. Easy to work with and always provides clear answers
The team consists of highly specialised staff with an in-depth and unique knowledge of environmental legislation and dedicated focus on customer needs.
The DLA Piper environmental team has a thorough knowledge of environmental law, but just as important a very good understanding of business . The team always incorporates the business aspects of advising on which legal solution to choose
Very knowledgeable about environmental legislation in Denmark
I always contact Line Marie Pedersen if I have environmental matters and need a true specialist
Line Marie Pedersen is one of the most highly skilled environmental lawyers in Denmark. She has a unique ability to understand her clients’ needs, but at the same time she is precise in her advice and assessment of opportunities
Over the last many years, we have worked closely with partner Line Marie Pedersen. Line is probably the lawyer in Denmark with the greatest expertise in soil and groundwater contamination and the legislation related. We always receive highly qualified advice. In addition, Line is extremely comfortable to work with.
The Danish Petroleum Industry Association (EOF)
The Government of Greenland
A/S Dansk Shell
AIG Europe S.A.
Dansk Fuels A/S
Topdanmark Forsikring A/S
The Danish Central Stockholding Entity (FDO)
Københavns Lufthavne A/S
Colas Danmark A/S
Avista Danmark A/S
Alm. Brand A/S
Lidl Danmark A/S
De Dansk Bilimportører
YX Energi A/S
UnoX Energi A/S
- Assisting the Municipality of Koege with a €265m coast and flood protection project
- Assisting The Municipality of Copenhagen on the settlement of claim arising from an invalid building permission
- Assisting Topdanmark Forsikring A/S and The Danish Petroleum Industry Association on Soil Contamination and the insurance thereof
Horten advises on environmental permits and exemptions in relation to environmental, planning and construction law in connection with property and construction projects. The practice also advises on complaints and claims for environmental damages before valuation commissions. Practice head Henriette Soja has expertise in the interaction between authorities, municipal activities and private entities concerning public law issues, including environmental aspects of construction. Anne Sophie Kierkegaard Vilsbøll advises on environmental due diligence in connection with transfers of undertakings and the sale and purchase of properties and businesses. Poul Hvilsted provides legal, strategic and commercial advice concerning environmental and planning law.
Other key lawyers:
Horten has a very strong team spirit. As a client, this means that I am never without support regardless of whether the resources of a single person can be limited.
Aarhus Varme Affald
The Metropolitan Copenhagen Heating Transmission Company (CTR)
The Municipality of Stevns
The Municipality of Elsinore
The Region of Zealand
The Municipality of Frederikssund
The Municipality of Frederikshavn
NCC industry A/S
The Municipality of Lyngby-Taarbæk
A Espersen A/S
- Assisting The Municipalities of Halsnæs, Gribskov and Helsingør concerning the establishment of a €127m coastal protection project.
- Advising the Region Nordjylland on the removal of two mining pits from the Region’s future mining plan.
- Advising the Danish Green Investment Fund on investigating the possible liability and repayment terms of loans to private landowners.
Poul Schmith primarily advises public institutions, authorities and municipalities, on environmental disputes. The practice provides environmental regulatory advice on road, railway and other infrastructure projects. Stig Grønbæk Jensen and Britta Moll Bown jointly head the practice and have expertise in EU regulations regarding nature protection, strategic and environmental impact assessments, as well as on the relocation and rerouting of trade supply lines for environmental reasons.
Stig Grønbæk Jensen; Britta Moll Bown
The team that works with environmental issues is highly experienced, pragmatic, and knowledgeable. The lawyers in the team are disciplined and highly specialised, as the clients require it, and they are thorough.
A broad knowledge in the environmental area and always up to date.
Stig Grønbæk Jensen is an outstanding individual and ready to help at any time .
The Danish Environmental and Food Board of Appeal
The Danish Planning Board of Appeal
The Danish Environmental Protection Agency
The Danish Business Authority
The Danish Energy Board of Appeal
The Danish Road Directorate
The Danish Ministry of Environment and Food
By og Havn
- Represented the Environmental Protection Agency and the Environmental and Food Board of Appeal in a €62m case before the Eastern High Court on the protection of drinking water in the Greater Copenhagen area
- Assisting the Danish Road Directorate regarding the €500m construction of the third largest bridge in Denmark
- Representing the Planning Board of Appeal in a case regarding Field’s, Scandinavia’s largest shopping centre
Plesner advises on planning law, nature protection measures and regulatory requirements regarding CO2 emissions. The practice also advises on the supply of water, waste disposal and the handling of contaminated soil and wastewater. The practice also advises on the legislation concerning the establishment and transfer of windmill farms. Niklas Korsgaard Christensen and Ellen Skodborggaard jointly head the practice and regularly assist with environmental and planning law in relation to M&A transactions.
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen; Ellen Skodborggaard
Other key lawyers:
LEGO / Kirkbi
Municipality of Rudersdal
Municipality of Allerød
Køge Kyst P/S
- Assisted Temasek with environmental aspects regarding its acquisition of a minority stake in the Danish engineering business icon Haldor Topsøe A/S.
- Advising EUR Køge Kyst P/S on spatial planning matters and on environmental matters.
- Advised Statoil on its participation in the 600 MW Kriegers Flak wind project project.
Gorrissen Federspiel advises on environmental matters regarding M&A transactions and represents clients in litigation involving environmental law matters within the field of waste management, remediation of soil and ground water pollution. The firm also advises on regulatory requirements concerning EU and Danish legislation, conduct of court and arbitration cases. The team is jointly headed by Lotte Eskesen, Hans Peter Jørgensen and Uffe Bøgelund Jensen, who regularly undertake environmental law due diligence and advise on environmental planning as well as on the implementation of nature protection measures.
Lotte Eskesen; Hans Peter Jørgensen; Uffe Bøgelund Jensen
Rhode Nielsen A/S
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Energi Danmark A/S
- Advising Rohde Nielsen A/S on the excavation of raw materials from the Danish seabed and all environmental issues related to this
SIRIUS advokater advises on general public law, including administrative law, environmental law and planning law. The firm also has expertise in relation to environmental law applying to agriculture and EU environmental law. The practice is headed by Søren Stenderup Jensen and Kurt Helles Bardeleben, who joined in July 2019 from DLA Piper Denmark; they advise on nature protection, regulations to fight climate change as well as on expropriation, public utilities and litigation within public law.
Søren Stenderup Jensen; Kurt Helles Bardeleben
Other key lawyers:
Deep insight in legislation and very experienced
Søren Stenderup Jensen has a broad view, is calm and has a trustworthy behaviour
Københans Lufthavne A/S (CPH)
ELF Development A/S
NCC Industry A/S
Teliam, Filial af Telia AB
Nordic Waterproofing A/S
Hessel Pharma ApS
Kvadrat Soft Cells A/S
Arwos Forsyning A/S
Din Forsyning A/S
SK Forsyning A/S
KLAR Forsyning A/S
Municipality of Gladsaxe
UTH Holding ApS
Taasinge Elementer A/S
- Represented Hessel Pharma Arps before the Supreme Court concerning the interpretation of the Danish Act on Commercial Agents
- Represented Telenos A/S against TDC A/S before the Supreme Court concerning the payment for the use of TDC’s telephone lines
- Advised Arwos Foryning A/S and DIN Forsyning A/S on various issues in relation to the establishment of a mega data centre for Google within Arwos’ and for Facebook within DIN’s supply area, including water supply and waste-water disposal
Kromann Reumert advises on environmental and planning issues, including the interaction between EU rules and domestic administrative, environmental, planning and public law rules. Practice head Kim Trenskow advises on environmental regulations applicable to industrial activities. The practice also advises on environmental disputes regarding decontamination measures. The firm advises clients from key sectors such as energy, utility, the meat and food industry and retail regulation, as well as waste management and aquaculture.
Other key lawyers:
Jeppe Lefevre Olsen
The Regional Council of Southern Denmark
- Assists DSK with planning law matters and cases, including the current case of physical legalisation of the shopping centre Bilka Fields in Copenhagen
- Advising HOFOR on the first principle disputes regarding the legality of administrative orders issued to primarily farmers restricting the use of areas surrounding drinking water drillings, as well as on the parallel compensation procedures under the Danish Environmental Protection Act
- Assisting Q8 with environmental law issues, including several ongoing disputes regarding decontamination measures at tank station facilities
Lundgrens advises on environmental issues arising from planning and project development. The firm is also experienced in advising on nature protection measures. Søren Hilbert is the practice head and regularly advises municipalities on the environmental assessments of plans and projects. The firm also assists with the financing of climate change projects regarding raising sea levels and storm floods, increased rain, cloudbursts and raising groundwater levels in urban areas.
The municipality of Slagelse
The municipality of Odder
Ejerlauget Herstad Industripark
Byudviklingsselskabet Favrholm A/S
The City of Aarhus
The municipality of Tønder
- Advising The Municipality of Slagelse on the establishment of two different associations of landowners under the Act on Coastal Protection to organise and finance construction and maintenance of new dikes and other coastal protection measures
- Advising The Municipality of Odder on possible solutions to avoid flooding from the watercourse running through the city
- Advised Ejerlauget Herstad Industripark on the possible ways to complain or object to new plans for urban development