Energy in Denmark
With extensive experience in waste-to-energy, upstream oil and gas and natural gas work, Bech-Bruun’s energy practice incorporates a ‘dedicated’ renewable energy department, ‘which includes leading experts in both contract law and M&A’, as well as financing and project development mandates. Jointly led by Per Hemmer and Jakob Østervang, the group also regularly advises a range of energy companies, investors, project developers and municipalities on regulatory issues, energy project developments and contentious matters. Anders Hørlyck Jensen specialises in offshore wind matters.
Per Hemmer; Jakob Østervang
Other key lawyers:
Anders Hørlyck Jensen; Simon Milthers; Peter Østergaard Nielsen; Tejs Dyrvig Ernst
‘A very professional team with a lot of experience; also able to deal with unusual situations.’
‘Bech-Bruun has a dedicated department focusing strictly on renewable energy, which includes leading experts in both contract law and M&A. Their strong legal skills combined with an unparalleled understanding of the industry gives them a significant edge compared to other competing firms.’
‘We would like to highlight our cooperation with partner Jakob Østervang and senior associate Tejs Dyrvig Ernst. Jakob has consistently had a strong presence in the industry for years and his legal experience and qualifications within the industry are second to none.’
Norlys Energi A/S
Trefor Varme A/S
European Energy A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners A/S
Copenhagen Offshore Partners A/S
Nord Stream 2 AG
Total E&P Danmark A/S (Total S.A.)
Din Forsyning Varme A/S
LetterOne Corporate Advisor Limited
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale
Energi Viborg A/S
RWE Supply & Trading GmbH
GreenGo Energy Group A/S
- Advising Nord Stream 2 project, a large-scale cross-border energy infrastructure project that will provide a direct link between Russian gas reserves and European gas consumers, on the permitting process.
- Advising ENVO Group A/S and ENVO Biogas Tønder A/S in relation to the development, financing and procurement of a biogas processing and upgrading plant, including the drafting and negotiation of major project contracts and regulatory advice in relation to securing eligibility for public subsidies.
- Advising Energinet on its project to connect Denmark’s largest offshore wind farm at Kriegers Flak in the Baltic Sea to the Danish power grid.
DLA Piper Denmark has 'unique knowledge of wastewater issues and the complex laws in and around the subject'. With experience in the renewable energy, oil and gas and utilities sectors, the department is noted for handling contractual and regulatory issues related to electricity, hydropower, heating and water supply. The group is headed up by Jacob Sparre Christiansen, who receives wind farm, solar cell system and biogas plant instructions, and also handles energy sector M&A transactions and restructurings.
Jacob Sparre Christiansen
Other key lawyers:
Per Vestergaard Pedersen
‘We get honest answers to our questions. If we have a bad case, we are told. We have never lost a case with DLA Piper as a partner.’
‘Jacob Christiansen takes the time to present the case with all the necessary details to win.’
‘Unique knowledge of wastewater issues and the complex laws in and around the subject.’
‘DLA Piper has a supreme level of expertise and knowledge regarding laws regarding wastewater handling, payment for wastewater services and laws regarding public access to information on the environment in public-owned corporations and authorities.’
‘DLA has extensive knowledge of the energy industry and has a great deal of knowledge about the culture that prevails in this industry.’
‘The team in DLA Piper that handles energy has a great competence within our field of work. The team is always ready to solve tasks for us without the big questions as they know our company very well.’
‘The team at DLA Piper has great knowledge of the industry, our company and the legislation in relation to our industry.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the complexity of the regulation of the energy sector in Denmark.’
‘Strong focus on problem-solving and identifying solutions.’
DANVA (the Danish Water and Waste Water Association)
Government of Greenland
Frederiksberg Forsyning Group
Maabjerg Energy Center Group
Aarhus Vand Group
Billund Vand og Energi Group
Frederikshavn Forsyning Group
Morsø Forsyning Group
Svendborg Forsyning Group
Skanderborg Forsyning Group
Struer Energi Group
Thisted Vand Group
Tønder Forsyning Group
Vandmiljø Randers A/S
Ringkøbing-Skjern Forsyning Group
Dansk RestproduktHåndtering A.m.b.a.
Farum Fjernvarme A.m.b.a.
SEV (the main energy supplier in the Faroe Islands)
- Assisted Lillebælt Vind A/S (part of the SONFOR Group) with a project to erect a new offshore wind farm in the Lillebælt with an effect of up to 160MW in total.
- Advised five of Denmark’s largest wastewater companies on a technology-based partnership developing methods to achieve better local weather forecasts.
- Representing the Vestforsyning Group in a leading court case relating to the rerouting of a number of supply lines in connection with the establishment of the Holstebro motorway.
Gorrissen Federspiel is noted for attracting a large number of M&A transactions in the energy, infrastructure and utilities space involving the divestment and exchange of corporations and assets. Michael Meyer leads the team, which also advises a range of clients on upstream, infrastructure and supply matters in the energy sector. Especially active in renewable energy mandates, Christoffer Fode specialises in matters involving renewable assets, including wind energy, solar PV and biogas work. The department also assists with the establishment of solar, biogas and wind energy plants.
Other key lawyers:
Energi Danmark A/S
A/S Dansk Shell
Tanbreez Mining Greenland A/S
A.P. Møller-Mærsk A/S Maersk Drilling Holding A/S
Royal Dutch Shell plc
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
- Advised SEAS-NVE A.m.b.A. on its $3.2bn acquisition of Ørsted’s electricity distribution network, Danish residential customer business and city light business.
- Advised Energi Danmark A/S on the divestment of a portfolio of eight onshore wind parks to Encavis AG.
- Advised Tanbreez Mining Greenland A/S on a licence for the exploitation of certain minerals in South Greenland.
Horten’s team, which is led by Søren Hornbæk Svendsen, primarily assists clients with transactions involving large assets in the energy sector encompassing gas fields, and wind, solar and biogas farms and plants. Other areas of strength include negotiating and drafting energy sector contracts, handling regulatory matters, and planning the construction of energy infrastructure projects. Within the department, Klavs Gravesen primarily works with publicly owned utility companies, while René Frisdahl Jensen specialises in energy and utility regulatory matters.
Søren Hornbæk Svendsen
Other key lawyers:
Klavs Gravesen; Line Markert; Christian Tullberg; René Frisdahl Jensen; Lise Lotte Hjerrild
‘Horten has a thorough knowledge of the public energy and supply sector. Horten provides advice and sparring on both regulatory, commercial and strategic matters. Horten is always available and willing to make an extra effort. Their understanding of customer needs is remarkable.’
‘Lise Lotte Hjerrild and Line Markert are both highly specialised and have many years of experience in their fields. They are both highly skilled, they are dedicated, and they understand how to target their advice on the specific project.’
‘They stay hands-on throughout the whole transaction process and thereby acts as an efficient and quality ensuring external partner to the in-house legal team in overall charge.’
HOFOR Vind A/S
The Municipality of Odense
SERVIA, initiated by EWII
Regional multi-utility EWII
The Municipality of Randers
Wintershall Netherlands B.V.
- Assisting Spirit Energy Norge AS in relation to the sale of the company’s shares in the two subsidiaries, Spirit Energy Danmark ApS and Spirit Energy Petroleum AS.
- Assisted HOFOR Vind A/S with its acquisition of the 20MW Kikkenborg Solar Power Plant.
- Acted for Vestforbrænding I/S in connection with the acquisition of Lyngby Power plant (electricity and district heating) from a company formerly owned by Danish Commodities A/S.
Anders Stubbe Arndal heads up Kromann Reumert’s energy practice, which has a particular focus on regulatory matters arising in the renewable energy sector. It advises clients on regulatory issues relating to wind, hydro, solar and biomass energy plants, as well as the implementation of energy efficiency initiatives. The group also receives instructions regarding energy-related M&A, project finance work, and energy asset acquisitions. Jens Blomgren-Hansen focuses on financing mandates, while Maria Holst Levin, who was promoted to partner in 2020, primarily handles M&A transactions.
Anders Stubbe Arndal
Other key lawyers:
Jens Blomgren-Hansen; Christian Richard Ibsen; Jan Hvarre; Maria Holst Levin
‘Strategic, solution-oriented approach with an eye for details.’
‘Competent legal advice on all tasks and direct partner involvement when necessary.’
‘Anders Arndahl and Christian Ibsen are both outstanding.’
‘Strong insight into our industry. Always delivering before deadlines. Very valuable advice and strong negotiation skills.’
‘Always make sure to discuss alternatives and give advice on how to handle any given problem.’
‘Jan Hvarre from Kromann Reumert is by far the most experienced attorney-at-law within offshore wind.’
Norlys (merger between Eniig and SE)
Eksport Kredit Fonden
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Credendo Group (Belgium)
European Investment Bank (Luxembourg)
Eurowind Energy A/S
BLAEST (Blade Test Center)
Swire Blue Ocean
Industriens Pension Fund
Bornholms Energi og Forsyning Holding A/S
- Advised Ørsted A/S on the divestment of its Danish power distribution (Radius), residential customer and City Light businesses to SEAS-NVE for a price of DKK21.3bn on a cash and debt-free basis.
- Advised BeGreen on the sale of its Danish 155MWp Vandel 3 solar PV project to the Swedish private equity fund Infranode on a full merchant basis.
- Advised Eurowind Energy A/S on its acquisition of all of the limited partnership shares in the wind energy enterprise SE Blue Renewables K/S (222 operating wind turbines with a total capacity of 184MW).
Headed up by Niklas Korsgaard Christensen, the team at Plesner is adept at handling large-scale offshore infrastructure development mandates including oil and gas and offshore wind projects. A wide range of developers, contractors, consultants and financial institutions instruct the group on regulatory issues, energy agreements and maintenance and shareholder agreements. Recently, it has also been active in green bond issues, green investments, divestment processes, M&A-related transactions and licencing processes for clients before the Danish Energy Agency. Mikkel Falkenberg departed in late 2019 to set up a legal services consultancy company.
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
Other key lawyers:
‘Pleasant team with great client service.’
‘Niklas Korsgaard Christensen is a strong and experienced advisor.’
‘Good industry knowledge, and helpful and responsive.’
‘Niklas Christensen is knowledgeable and well prepared to handle energy cases.’
MHI Vestas A/S
Green Power Partners
Total (former Maersk Oil)
- Advised InfraNode AB on its acquisition of the project for development of the largest PV-park (Solar) in Northern Europe (155MwP).
- Appointed by RWE and Total to assist with the new wind power project, Thor Project, set to be the largest offshore wind park in Denmark (800MW).
- Advising Gaz-Systems S.A. on the Baltic Pipeline Project, selected by the EU as a PCI-project, which includes the construction of a gas pipeline from Poland to Norway through Denmark.
Bruun & Hjejle has a substantial track record in energy and infrastructure matters, particularly in energy-related M&A and alternative investment transactions. It advised Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) on its fourth fund, CI IV, which has reached first close of €1.5bn; in 2020, Mogens Thorninger left the group to become CEO at CIP. Following the further departure of Nicolaj Kleist to set up his own boutique firm, the group is jointly led by Olaf Koktvedgaard and Andreas Nielsen, who both also handle a variety of disputes and regulatory issues.
Olaf Koktvedgaard; Andreas Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Ulrik Fenneberg Kloss
‘High quality and a broad perspective in the legal services.’
‘Trusted advisers on M&A transactions.’
AP Moller Holding
CIP (Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners)
Waterland Private Equity Investments B.V.
- Acting as legal counsel to Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) on its fourth fund, CI IV, which has reached first close of €1.5bn.
- Acting for Ørsted before the Danish Western High Court in relation to four decisions from the Danish energy authorities compelling Ørsted to reduce its prices for third-party upstream natural gas transportation from the Danish part of the North Sea.
- Advising AIP Management on two green investments in solar facilities, Prospero I and Little Bear in California, in a partnership with renewable energy development company Longroad Energy.
Predominantly instructed by high-profile public institutions, Poul Schmith fields a team, which is experienced in electricity, natural gas, heating, water, renewable energy and oil and gas matters. Key pillars of the practice include regulatory issues, offshore projects, supply issues, the negotiation of transportation and infrastructure agreements, contracts and disputes with an increased focus on private sector work. In 2019, the group hired offshore wind expert Martin Juste from an offshore wind turbine manufacturer, bolstering the group’s capabilities with private clients. Klint Klingberg-Jensen, Sune Fugleholm and Jesper Nørøxe are other names to note.
Klint Klingberg-Jensen; Sune Fugleholm; Martin Juste; Jesper Nørøxe
‘The legal team has the strength and knowledge to assist in our highly complex projects and legal setups. The team is excellent in their communication, response-times and the quality of legal writing, all practices which we highly value.’
‘Klint Klingberg-Jensen is our key contact. Klint knows the industry and the mechanisms in large energy projects very well, which is a huge advantage to us when discussing strategy. Klint has outstanding legal skills and is able to communicate this in a clear language and with swift response times.’
‘Klint Klingenberg is an outstanding lawyer who manages to meet all our needs and requirements. Klint has the ability to understand the technical issues, commercial issues and legal issues. He is the best external lawyer I have ever worked with.’
‘Poul Schmith is a solid team of extremely competent, experienced and dedicated corporate lawyers with disarming humour and a motivating ability to include both their service-minded administrative colleagues and their less experienced yet very talented young lawyers.’
‘Klint Klingberg-Jensen is exceptionally competent within large complex construction projects. He is excellent in identifying and focusing on the core issues within a complex matter, and is able to organise and coordinate very large teams in order to achieve multi-disciplined, efficient work. Highly recommended!’
‘Solid team headed by a partner with unique competence within offshore construction.’
‘Klint Klingberg-Jensen is uniquely strong in offshore construction.’
‘Martin Juste has a wide knowledge of the offshore wind industry and his experience from being inhouse counsel gives him a unique understanding of how those organisations work.’
Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Danish Energy Agency
Danish Utility Regulator
Danish Competition and Consumer Authority
ISC Consulting Engineers A/S
Wilson Offshore A/S
- Assisted the Danish Energy Agency with an agreement between The Danish Government and the licensee on the modernisation of the Sole Concession in the North Sea.
- Assisted the Danish Energy Agency with preparing a declaration of subsidiary liability in accordance with section 29(2) of the Underground Act for Shell.
- Acted for Energiklagenævnet in litigation concerning a principle decision on offshore transportation tariffs.
Particularly active in offshore installation and structure contract work, NJORD Law Firm has a good reputation in Denmark for its expertise in solar energy, wind power, and other onshore and offshore energy infrastructure projects. Claas Thöle leads the team, which counts green energy companies, oil and gas companies, charging station operators and charging station developers among its clients. Thomas Rhyl assists with regulatory matters and the establishment of cross-border energy networks, while Steffen Hebsgaard Muff handles contentious energy mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Ryhl; Steffen Hebsgaard Muff
The team at WSCO Advokatpartnerselskab handles a variety of corporate, commercial and regulatory matters in the energy sector, and is particularly adept at advising clients on energy infrastructure projects and M&A transactions. Led by Bo Sandroos, the department has a track record in the oil and gas sector and is increasingly prominent in the offshore wind industry; it advises suppliers, contractors and developers on offshore wind projects, with noted expertise in regulatory issues and obtaining licences.
‘Highly skilled. Always good and personal service and quick reply when needed. Fair price for high quality.’
‘Bo Sandroos is friendly, easy to work with, pragmatic and knowledgeable.’
‘They are a good boutique energy and maritime practice.’
Wintershall Dea AG
Ocean Team Scandinavia A/S
Semco Maritime A/S
Tryg Forsikring A/S
Van Oord Offshore Wind GmbH
- Advised a major Danish oil and gas contractor on the renewal and expansion of a long-term strategic partnership with an international oil company.
- Advised a Danish offshore wind contractor on one of the largest US offshore wind projects for the supply of both substations and cables to an international consortium.
- Advised an international offshore wind developer on the negotiation of a large number of regulatory and legal issues relating to the development of offshore wind farms in Denmark.
At Accura Advokatpartnerselskab, the energy team is particularly active in financing and M&A-related transactions. Advising an assortment of domestic and international energy companies, spanning the oil and gas, electricity, wind and water sectors, it also has experience in energy law compliance issues, commercial contracts and regulatory matters. The team is jointly spearheaded by Kåre Stolt, Laurits Schmidt Christensen and Lars Bruun.
Kåre Stolt; Laurits Schmidt Christensen; Lars Bruun
- Advised Finnish energy fund Taaleri Energia on the divestment of the Escalade wind farm in the US.
- Advised Nykredit A/S on the financing of SEAS-NVE’s acquisition of Radius.
- Advised PFA on the financing of a sustainable battery factory.
Demonstrating ‘deep knowledge of the energy sector’, Lassen Ricard primarily advises clients on the production and sale of gases, solar heating and geothermal energy, particularly regulatory issues. Alongside the group's offshore wind experience, practice head Henrik Schütze specialises in onshore geothermal matters and advanced software issues relating to energy production processes.
Other key lawyers:
Jørgen Bek Weiss Hansen
‘Lassen Ricard has deep knowledge of the energy sector and the whole regulatory landscape.’
Ross DK A/S
Geotermisk Operatørselskab ApS
Noted for its public law expertise, SIRIUS advokater’s energy practice has considerable expertise in regulatory issues, acting for district heating, natural resources and oil and gas companies, as well as public utility clients including water, wastewater and waste businesses. Headed up by Søren Stenderup Jensen, the group is particularly adept at advising state and semi-state-owned energy and utility companies, and local municipalities. In addition, it has a track record in contentious energy matters and energy infrastructure projects.
Søren Stenderup Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Kurt Helles Bardeleben
‘They give excellent advice, seen from a broader perspective, and on very short notice.’
‘Søren Stenderup Jensen and his team have a rare knowledge of the aggregate industry and the legal complexities connected. He will, in my experience, look for a way to avoid a costly legal battle.’
‘I think that Sirius is a truly remarkable firm with the clients’ interests at the centre of their planning and with the lawyers taking a holistic approach to their legal practice with their core values always a focus.’
VEKS, Vestegnens Kraftvarmeselskab
Arwos Forsyning A/S
SK Forsyning A/S
KLAR Forsyning A/S
Evida Nord A/S
Din Forsyning A/S
Municipality of Køge
Municipality of Hvidovre
Municipality of Allerød
The Capital Region of Denmark
ELF Development A/S
Københavns Lufthavne A/S
- Advised VEKS on the negotiation of heat supply agreements with all of its heat transmission customers.
- Advised Hvidovre Kommune on the major land reclamation project, The Islets.
- Advised Arwos Forsyning and DIN Forsyning on the energy-aspects of Google and Facebook data centres in their respective supply areas.