Bech-Bruun‘s project development and infrastructure team has extensive experience in advising on regulatory frameworks for energy production and supply, and negotiating offshore infrastructure contracts. It also has a strong energy finance practice and acts on some of Denmark’s major solar projects as well as maintaining a strong position in the waste-to-energy sector. Johan Weihe and Per Hemmer co-head the department, advising major energy companies and utilities on all areas of energy law, with a particular focus on renewable energy sources, including biogas and geothermic energy. Anders Hørlyck Jensen, Jacob Østervang and Peter Østergaard Nielsen left the firm in January 2022 to join Accura Advokatpartnerselskab.
Energy in Denmark
Per Hemmer; Johan Weihe
Other key lawyers:
Simon Milthers; Jakob Kristensen
‘In my view, Bech-Bruun is the leading law firm in energy and related areas. While there are other firms working in the same field, none have the resources and knowledge of Bech-Bruun.’
‘Excellent experience, expertise and reputation in Denmark. Reliable.’
‘Very strong energy M&A Practice.’
‘Jakob Kristensen is an all-around strong energy M&A partner. Deep sector experience in combination with good commercial and process understanding.’
‘Simon Milthers; very accessible, swift and operational responses, very open and direct communication, easy to work with and really focused on progressing matters.’
E.ON Danmark A/S
Trefor Varme A/S
European Energy A/S
Nord Stream 2 AG
Vattenfall / Vattenfall Vindkraft A/S
Total Energies E&P Danmark A/S (Total S.E.)
Din Forsyning Varme A/S
LetterOne Corporate Advisor Limited
Energi Viborg A/S
I/S Amager Ressourcecenter
REFA Maribo-Sakskøbing Kraftvarmeværk
Fjernvarme Fyn – Group
Evida Holding A/S
Bornholms Energy & Forsyning Holding A/S
Green Hydrogen A/S
KK Wind Solutions
- Advised REFA Maribo-Sakskøbing Kraftvarmeværk A/S, a straw-fired combined heat and power (CHP) plant at Lolland, on the course of events leading up to restructuring proceedings as well as in connection with pending cases.
- Advised Green Hydrogen Systems A/S as legal counsel on its Initial Public Offering and listing on Nasdaq Copenhagen.
- Advised Energinet on all the myriad environmental matters as well as land rights matters arising in the Baltic Pipe project.
DLA Piper Denmark
DLA Piper Denmark‘s energy team has highly specialised expertise in the Denmark and Greenland energy sectors, with the Government of Greenland being a key client for the firm. It advises on renewable energy mandates, with a particular focus on development projects concerning wind turbines and onshore and offshore wind farms. The group also has considerable expertise in financings and investments, with practice head Jacob Sparre Christiansen advising major energy companies on solar cell systems and biogas plants as well as handling M&A transactions.
Jacob Sparre Christiansen
Other key lawyers:
Per Vestergaard Pedersen; Martin Juste
‘Good counselling and service and good information.’
‘Strong commitment to solving client’s problems. Easy to work with.’
‘Strong leadership by Jacob Christiansen, who is regarded as a leading expert in his field.’
‘DLA Piper are good at quickly connecting the right competencies to a task. It is solved in a short time and with fair use of economy.’
‘They are good at understanding our industry and the issues associated with it. We therefore always get the correct service as we expect.’
‘The practice is unique due to great insight into the sector as well as our company. Provides professional value-adding advice targeted at our company. At the same time, they have an extremely large network as assistance is always possible if it is outside their core competence.’
‘I have experienced a very dedicated and service-minded team.’
DANVA (the Danish Water and Waste Water Association)
Government of Greenland, including the Ministry for Agriculture, Self-Sufficiency, Energy and Environment and the Ministry of Mineral Resources
Maabjerg Energy Center Group
Aarhus Vand Group
Billund Vand og Energi Group
Frederikshavn Forsyning Group
Morsø Forsyning Group
Svendborg Forsyning Group
Skanderborg Forsyning Group
Struer Energi Group
Thisted Vand Group
Tønder Forsyning Group
Vandmiljø Randers A/S
Ringkøbing-Skjern Forsyning Group
Dansk RestproduktHåndtering A.m.b.a.
Farum Fjernvarme A.m.b.a.
Viborg Varme Amba
- Assisting the SONFOR Group with its project to erect a new offshore wind farm in the Lillebælt sound with an effect of up to 160MW in total.
- Advised major heat distributor Viborg Fjernvarme (now Viborg Varme A.m.b.a.) on every legal aspect of the restructuring process.
- Representing DANVA and Morsø Spildevand A/S in a principal court case about the obligation for the Danish State to pay a fee to the Danish wastewater companies, when rainwater from the state roads is drained to the wastewater systems.
Horten‘s energy department is regularly involved in large-scale transactions relating to wind power, solar and biogas projects. It has a strong foothold within the Danish utilities sector, advising several major clients as well as growing its work for co-operatively held and other consumer-owned water and district heating utilities. Practice head Christian Tullberg and Søren Hornbæk Svendsen have extensive expertise in drafting energy sector contracts and handling the related regulatory matters, while René Frisdahl Jensen conducts cases before the courts and energy complaint boards. Klavs Gravesen is the key practitioner for issues relating to the government and municipalities.
Other key lawyers:
Søren Hornbæk Svendsen; Klavs Gravesen; Line Markert; René Frisdahl Jensen; Lise Lotte Hjerrild
‘Horten’s Energy team is one of the largest and most skilled teams in the field of law. The team is always available and willing to go the extra mile to find the best fit solution for any challenge we meet. The team is outstanding also by their ability to see and give strong advice on the political aspects of a complex case and to find new ways to bring the organisation through difficult challenges.’
‘Klavs Gravesen is outstanding in his approach to any challenge – legal, political or technical.’
‘René Frisdahl Jensen has great knowledge of specific and intense regulation that our organisation is subject to. He is stable and with great insight both in current regulation and new rules and practice.’
‘Line Markert has great experience in questions related to organisational subject of public organisations.’
‘Go-to team for all energy-related work. Wide range of experience and have the capacity to advise on all aspects.’
‘Christian Tullberg; He gives you everything needed to be on top. Go-to person for his advice in the energy sector. Able to cover the full scope.’
‘Horten provides top class service from its regulatory team.’
‘They respond fast and engage in an excellent dialogue with the customer.’
iCON Infrastructure LLP
Swire Energy Services Ltd.
Neptune Energy Group Holdings Ltd.
Total Energies S.A.
HOFOR Vind A/S
HOFOR District Heating
Dansk Energi (Danish Energy Association)
Municipality of Slagelse
Oil Gas Denmark
The Municipality of Odense
TOTAL Energies A/S
TOTAL Energies Renewables A/S
SERVIA, initiated by EWII
Regional multi-utility EWII
The Municipality of Copenhagen
Wintershall Netherlands B.V.
- Assisted Spirit Energy Norge AS in relation to the sale of the company’s shares in the two subsidiaries, Spirit Energy Danmark ApS and Spirit Energy Petroleum AS to INEOS E&P A/S.
- Assisted infrastructure fund iCON Infrastructure Partners with all legal aspects of its acquisition of a 95% interest in the energy company Wind Estate A/S from its previous owners.
- Advised Danish multi utility major EWII and its wholly owned subsidiary, TREFOR Infrastruktur A/S, on all legal aspects of TREFOR’s acquisition of all shares in El-Net Øst A/S, transferring the entire power distribution grid on Bornholm to the EWII Group.
Kromann Reumert plays a significant role in the financing of international renewable energy projects as well as advising on E&P activities, water supply and regulation issues, M&A transactions and renewable energy mandates. The group is also adept at handling contentious issues before the Danish Energy Board of Appeal, the Danish Energy Agency and the courts. Practice head Anders Stubbe Arndal specialises in M&A mandates and the regulation of energy businesses, while the ‘extremely talented’ Maria Holst Levin assists with the drafting of commercial contracts and handles cases involving oil drilling and production.
Other key lawyers:
Jens Blomgren-Hansen; Christian Richard Paarsgaard Ibsen; Jan Hvarre; Maria Holst Levin
‘Highly professional and competent. Always proactive and delivering on time.’
‘Maria Holst Levin is extremely talented and a very good leader. Always ahead of her clients and very service minded. She is capable of handling and negotiating highly complicated agreements and issues. Last, she is very structured and any client can feel very safe having her on their side.’
‘Very competent team. Each member is a specialist, but together the team is versatile. No doubt that you are among the best experts, and they have the guts to tell if you are wrong.’
‘They are legal experts. They have market insights. They are proactive. They can negotiate on a high level. They are very likeable.’
‘A well prepared team with a good variation of seniority and youth to provide drive and insight.’
‘Fast delivery, super prepared, patience, knows when to push and when to hold back in negotiations.’
‘Generally a very high level of legal skills, international relations and broad range of competences. We receive a thorough, competent and professional service. I believe that firm providing focused and targeted advise.’
‘Christian Ibsen has got the fine balance between good and sound legal advice and at the same time, that advice accommodates commercial considerations for the client.’
Norlys (merger between Eniig and SE)
Eksport Kredit Fonden
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
European Investment Bank
Eurowind Energy A/S
Industriens Pension Fund
Bornholms Energi og Forsyning Holding A/S
Danish Bio Commodities
Nord Energi Net A/S
Tre-For Elnet A/S
- Assisted GreenGo Energy with signing its partnership agreement with Envcavis AG concerning a 500MW+ portfolio of utility-scale subsidy-free solar projects in Denmark and advising through the partnership process (share sale agreements, construction contracts, operating agreements etc).
- Assisted the sellers in connection with the sale (tender process) of 95% of the shares in Wind Estate A/S, a Danish Wind energy developer and operator, to iCON Infrastructure Partners VI, a UK-based infrastructure fund.
- Advising TEPCO Renewable Power on joining the TetraSpar offshore wind foundation project alongside Shell Ventures B.V., RWE Renewables International Participations B.V. and Stiesdal Offshore Technologies A/S.
Plesner has a strong track record in handling large-scale energy projects and transactions. The team is singled out as ‘excellent’, leveraging its ‘abundance of experience’ to advise clients on green and sustainable financings, onshore development projects and renewable energy technologies including geothermal energy. The group is also adept at handling offshore wind projects, with Esben Kjær advising international investors and national developers in this area. Practice head Niklas Korsgaard Christensen maintains a prominent reputation for his energy sector expertise.
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Esben Kjær; Anne-Sophie Bundesen
‘Very pragmatic advisers and clear client friendly advice. Good sector knowledge.’
‘Anne-Sophie Bundesen – provided really good written advice and support in relation to upstream oil and gas matter. Always available to discuss and clear client friendly advice.’
‘Niklas Korsgaard Christensen; highly trusted adviser. He brings real value to the business through a combination of high professional standards, a commercial astute approach, a distinct ability at working effectively though complex situations and putting advice in the right context and framework for the situation.’
‘Excellent knowledge and abundance of experience in the field, combined with sound commercial understanding.’
‘Excellent understanding of negotiation structures and situations.’
‘Very responsive, very commercial and succinct.’
‘All are really excellent. Very responsive. Really high-quality advice.’
A.P. Møller Holding
RWE Renewables AB
Arjun Infrastructure Partners Limited
Ineos E&P A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
TDC Net A/S
- Advised Equinor Refining on its sale of Equinor Refining Denmark A/S, including the refinery in Kalundborg, to the Klesch Group.
- Acting as legal counsel to A.P. Møller Holding in relation to the development of the first large-scale geothermal project in Denmark.
- Advised Ineos on its acquisition of the Danish activities of Spirit Energy (ultimately owned by Centrica and Bayerngas Norway).
Accura Advokatpartnerselskab advises on the full spectrum of energy matters, from renewable energy and power generation issues to oil and gas work. The group has extensive experience in energy transactions as well as handling regulatory and competition law matters within the sector. In January 2022, the arrival of renewable energy experts Anders Hørlyck Jensen, Jacob Østervang, Peter Østergaard Nielsen and Tejs Dyrvig Ernst from Bech-Bruun bolstered the practice; Østervang now leads the practice. Other key individuals include Matthew Mulqueen and Jesper Philip.
Other key lawyers:
Anders Hørlyck Jensen; Peter Østergaard Nielsen; Matthew Mulqueen; Tejs Degn Leth Ernst; Jesper Philip
- Advised Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners in connection with divesting a 25% minority stake to Vestas, for a total consideration of €500m.
- Advised Nordic Solar Energy, Nordic Solar Global and Nordic Solar Management on its three-way merger at a total market value of DKK2bn.
- Advised Doral Energy on its investment into Danish solar power.
Bruun & Hjejle
Bruun & Hjejle‘s energy and infrastructure department primarily advises on M&A transactions and alternative investments for both domestic and international clients. The team is also adept at handling contentious matters, acting in complex regulatory disputes that involve public authorities as well as high-profile cases concerning public law. Olaf Koktvedgaard jointly leads the team with Andreas Nielsen; Koktvedgaard has extensive experience in matters relating to the sale, transportation and distribution of gas, while Nielsen handles energy-related M&A matters. Newly appointed partner Lars Kongsgaard Hansen focuses on large-scale cross-border investments.
Other key lawyers:
Lars Kongsgaard Hansen
A.P. Møller Holding
Waterland Private Equity Investments B.V.
EIG (Global Energy Partners)
CIP (Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners)
- Acting for Ørsted before the Danish Western High Court in relation to four decisions from the Danish energy authorities compelling Ørsted to reduce its prices for third-party upstream natural gas transportation from the Danish part of the North Sea.
- Advising Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) on several legal elements of the North Sea offshore wind hub, a major Danish infrastructure investment.
- Advising Waterland Private Equity Investments (Fund VII) in connection with its acquisition of Modstrøm Danmark A/S.
Gorrissen Federspiel has a strong track record in handling large-scale M&A transactions within the energy sector. It is also well known for its regulatory expertise, including advising on the placement and protection of infrastructure, renewable energy subsidy schemes and corporate power purchase agreements. Practice head Michael Meyer is a board member of the Danish Energy Law Association. The team works cross-departmentally with the competition and maritime law department to provide a full-service offering to clients.
Other key lawyers:
Andel Holding A/S
iCON Infrastructure V
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Royal Dutch Shell group
Tanbreez Mining Greenland A/S
Energi Danmark A/S
SSE Renewables Limited
Bluefield Solar Income Fund Limited
- Advised SSE Renewables Limited in relation to the Thor offshore wind farm.
- Advised Vestas Wind Systems A/S on an investment (25% stake) in Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP).
- Advised Royal Dutch Shell Group on the divestment of A/S Dansk Shell.
Poul Schmith is best known for its work within the public sector but is increasingly focusing its efforts on expanding into the private sector and handling international projects. Offshore energy and renewables work is a core area of expertise for the team, with Klint Klingberg-Jensen specialising in the offshore wind industry and advising suppliers and developers on the maintenance and operation of offshore installations. For contentious matters, Sune Fugleholm and Jesper Nørøxe have extensive experience representing clients before the Danish courts as well as the European Court of Justice.
Klint Klingberg-Jensen; Sune Fugleholm; Jesper Nørøxe
‘Extremely high market knowledge and in-depth knowledge of agreements and contracts.’
‘Team Poul Schmith – Energy – Denmark led by Klint Klingberg-Jensen is a solid team of extremely competent, experienced and dedicated corporate lawyers with a disarming humour and a motivating ability to include both their service minded administrative colleagues and their talented young lawyers.’
‘The teams exceptional diplomacy skills and eagerness to find (disruptive) solutions – to the benefit of all participating parties – are the qualities which make the full-service firm stand out compared to other firms specialized in Energy including offshore and contract law.’
‘It has been of indescribable value to our company that Klint Klingberg-Jensen’s versatile expertise accommodates our company’s legal challenges and that he always willingly refers to named lawyers from his network of specialised corporate lawyers – internally in Poul Schmidt and worldwide.’
‘Klint Klingberg-Jensen has along with his superstar team introduced a whole new level of service not to mention the speed the service is provided in.’
‘What makes this team unique is the team’s ability to advise major international offshore wind developers with their largest contracts, in particular the turbine supply agreement and balance of plant. The team already have extensive experience in contractually handling the challenges that developers have when the relevant markets have no solid supply chain.’
‘Klint Klingberg-Jensen: Klint is extremely well-organised and key in the team’s advice to offshore developers. His knowledge and experience from being an in-house counsel gives him an unique insight in what clients require. I will also highlight his ability to find good commercial and pragmatic solutions that bring the projects forward.’
Dansk Ingeniør Service A/S
Eurowind Energy A/S
Creadis Wind Solutions A/S
Better Energy A/S
Scan Global Logistics A/S
Bel Air Aviation A/S
Bladt Industries A/S
ISC Rådgivende Ingeniører A/S
North Sea Fund (Nordsøfonden)
Kongsberg Maritime AS
NTG Nordic Transport Group A/S
Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Danish Energy Agency
Danish Utility Regulator
Danish Competition and Consumer Authority
- Advised the Danish Energy Agency on the establishment of the world’s first energy islands, located in the North and Baltic Seas.
- Advised the Danish Energy Agency on the establishment of Denmark’s largest to date – and one of the world’s largest – offshore wind farms, Thor.
- Advising the Danish Utility Regulator on the electricity supply law section 73 a, and relevant EU regulation, with regards to Energinet’s legal discretion in connection with its management of the system responsible for the transmission network.
Led by Bo Sandroos, the energy and offshore practice at WSCO Advokatpartnerselskab has experience handling emerging technologies including Power-to-X systems and energy islands, alongside notable expertise in offshore wind, geothermal and renewables projects and ‘strong capabilities’ in the oil industry. The group handles all aspects of commercial, corporate and regulatory work within the energy sector and has specific experience in Greenland law, with a particular focus on Greenland’s mining industry.
‘Strong capabilities within the oil industry sector.’
‘The team has broad experience within the energy sector and is working with very short response times. Team is accessible and displays great flexibility to accommodate client needs.’
‘Bo Sandroos is pleasant, friendly and easy to work with. He is very responsive and quick to take action and can be trusted to work with a high degree of independence. He is knowledgeable and has a pragmatic and solution-oriented approach.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the energy industry throughout, even details such as transfers of people within this industry in Denmark and the relevant background of people who are transferring.’
‘WSCO has unique experience in oil and gas as well as renewable energy forms such as the wind and geothermal industry. This covers legislation/regulations, contract and general insight into the businesses.’
Semco Maritime A/S
Ocean Team Scandinavia A/S
Tryg Forsikring A/S
- Advised a Danish offshore wind contractor on one of the largest US offshore wind projects for the supply of both a substation and cables to an international consortium.
- Advised a Danish offshore wind contractor on several large Asian offshore wind projects for the supply of a substation and other supplies.
- Advised a Danish offshore wind contractor on several large contracts for the supply of technology solutions to the offshore wind industry.
Nicolaj Kleist, former head of Bruun & Hjejle‘s energy practice, founded KLEIST Legal in 2020. The energy boutique focuses on regulatory matters, projects and disputes, leveraging Kleist’s 20 years’ experience advising private companies, state-owned and municipality-owned energy companies and utilities businesses.
Danske Olieberedskabslagre (FDO)
Global Wind Organisation (GWO)
- Advised Danske Olieberedskabslagre in connection with Shell Petroleum Limited’s sale of its Danish refinery business to Postlane Partners.
- Represented Frederiksberg Forsyning before the Energy Board of Appeal in overturning the Danish Utility Regulator’s decisions to deny the inclusion of interest on invested capital in district heating prices.
- Advising Innargi A/S on regulatory matters in connection with a large-scale geothermal project.
Lassen Ricard is known for advising on offshore matters related to gas production and sale, but the group is expanding into onshore energy matters, in particular geothermal drilling projects. Practice head Henrik Schütze is an experienced litigator focusing on geothermal projects and advises on issues including license applications and transferrals under the Danish Subsoil Act.
Other key lawyers:
Jørgen Bek Weiss Hansen
‘Henrik Schütze has unique personal and professional competencies to understand technical topics and put them into a legal perspective. Henrik listens to our needs and proposes ways ahead. Henrik has a combination of legal and commercial subject-matter expertise.’
Ross DK A/S
Geotermisk Operatørselskab ApS
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm focuses on developers within the energy sector, primarily advising international companies on cross-border issues. The practice also advises on transactions within the renewable energy sector, with particular expertise in solar energy and wind power. Thomas Rhyl is noted for his regulatory expertise.
Other key lawyers: