Energy in Denmark
Bech-Bruun handles regulatory issues, M&A transactions, energy project developments and contentious matters for a client list of energy companies, investors, project developers, public companies and municipalities. The team’s project advice includes the drafting and negotiation of renewable energy project contracts and handling energy project financing work. Practice head Per Hemmer is notably active in his work on geothermal plants and solar parks and also assists with regulatory matters relating to cross-border gas pipeline projects. Offshore wind expert Anders Hørlyck Jensen was promoted to partner in early 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Jakob Østervang; Simon Milthers; Peter Østergaard Nielsen; Johan Weihe
Trefor Varme A/S
European Energy A/S
NKT Cables A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners A/S
Copenhagen Offshore Partners A/S
Nord Stream 2 AG
SE Blue Renewables A/S
Siemens Wind Power A/S
Total S.A and Danish subsidiaries
Din Forsyning Varme A/S
LetterOne Corporate Advisor Limited
Susi Partners AG
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale
Titan Wind Energy
- Assisting Nord Stream 2 with issues relating to the permitting process in Denmark.
- Advised Total on its acquisition of all the share capital of Chevron Denmark through its Danish branch.
- Advising Norddeutsche Landesbank on the financing of a Danish portfolio of solar projects.
Bruun & Hjejle regularly handles energy-related M&A and investments and also has notable expertise in regulatory matters and disputes. Practice head Nicolaj Kleist is a key name for clients in the oil and gas, electricity and renewable energy sectors including offshore wind farms and geothermal energy projects. The group is also experienced in cross-border energy infrastructure projects including contentious work, regulatory issues and pricing matters relating to upstream natural gas transportation projects.
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Nielsen; Mogens Thorninger
Ability to match legal context with commercial needs. Frank and open exchange of views and open to novel ideas of approaching a particular legal area, including often suggesting novel approaches themselves
Second to none in the market
Ørsted (formerly DONG Energy)
FDO (Danske Olieberedskabslagre)
Vindmølleindustrien (Danish Wind Industry Association – DWIA)
Global Wind Organisation
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP)
AP Moller Holding A/S
- Representing Ørsted in proceedings against the Danish Energy Board of Appeal relating to the reduction of the transport price for third party upstream natural gas transportation from the North Sea to Denmark by 40%.
- Representing HMN Naturgas I/S against the Danish Energy Board of Appeal regarding its decision confirming Helsingør Municipality’s approval of a project, which will convert an area of natural gas supply to district heating.
- Advising HMN Naturgas I/S on the sale of HMN GasNet P/S to Energinet, which is owned by the Danish government.
With expertise in handling energy sector contracts and regulatory matters, Horten also advises on the planning, engineering and construction of energy infrastructure projects including gas pipeline connections. Team leader Søren Hornbæk Svendsen also acts on the sale, financing, purchase and development of renewable energy assets including wind farms and biogas plants alongside expertise in more traditional oil, gas and grid projects. Other key names include Klavs Gravesen, who notably works with publicly owned utility companies; and René Frisdahl Jensen, who specialises in energy and utility regulatory matters.
Søren Hornbæk Svendsen
Other key lawyers:
Nicolai Mallet; Line Markert; Christian Tullberg
Responsive and professional
Very professional with a high degree of client dialogue
First of all, Horten has a very strong team spirit. As a client, this means that I never stand without support regardless of whether the resources of a single person can be limited. The team also represents shades of speciality areas. As a client, it gives me confidence to be supported in all kinds of cases
I have had positive perception of Horten as a legal advisor. Horten has delivered the high quality we can expect of an advisor. The material and the guidance of Horten has for my part been very reliable and correct
Extremely good and open client dialogue, flexible and fast working
Horten is characterized by individualists. Each with their own positive character traits. The nuances between the people provide dynamism and energy in the work and this ensures that the cases are viewed from different angles
City of Copenhagen
NGF Nature Energy
Sund & Bælt
The Danish North Sea Fund
E.ON Denmark A/S
Wintershall Netherlands B.V.
NEAS Energy A/S
Aarhus AffaldVarme (part of City of Aarhus)
ARC (Amager Ressourcecenter) I/S
Novo Holdings A/S
The Danish Growth Fund
- Assisted Energinet with all legal aspects of the Baltic Pipe project including the drafting and negotiation of contracts.
- Advised Neptune Energy Norge on its acquisition of VNG Norge.
- Advising Assens Forsyning on contracts relating to wastewater treatment.
Kromann Reumert expertise spans energy-related M&A, project finance work, energy asset acquisitions, regulatory issues regarding the renewable energy sector including wind, hydro, solar and biomass energy plants and the implementation of energy efficiency initiatives. Beyond its renewable energy work, the team is also experienced in oil, gas and water supply matters. Practice head Anders Stubbe Arndal focuses on regulations applying to energy businesses and assists with the development of renewable energy projects.
Anders Stubbe Arndal
Other key lawyers:
Jens Blomgren-Hansen; Christian Richard Ibsen
Highly specialised within the area and are literally the most experienced team in Europe
Excellent consultancy. Good cooperation between partners, attorneys and assistants leads to a very competent and professional consultancy. Always updated on our company activities and legal issues within our business
Keeps an eye on the business and high value advice in relation to the business case. Not just focused on legal risk, but adds advice on probability of business impact
Eksport Kredit Fonden
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Credendo Group (Belgium)
European Investment Bank (Luxembourg)
Eurowind Energy A/S
- Assisted Eurowind Energy with its merger with Eniig Renewables.
- Advised Sønderborg Fjernvarme on its considerations and discussions about whether to consolidate by merger with other district heating undertakings in the Sønderborg area.
- Assisted Ørsted with the sale of Middelgrunden wind turbines
Plesner has notable expertise handling oil and gas projects in the North and Baltic Sea and assists with all aspects of renewable energy projects including development issues, regulatory advice, energy and spare parts supply agreements, and operation, maintenance and shareholder agreements. Practice head Niklas Korsgaard Christensen regularly advises on redevelopment work and assists with the drafting of infrastructure agreements.
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Green Power Partners
Shell & Innogy
Total (former Maersk Oil)
- Assisting Maersk Oil & Gas and its successor Total with the redevelopment of the Tyra gas platform.
- Advised Equinor on its acquisition of Danske Commodities and its subsidiaries.
- Advising Gaz-Systems on the construction of a gas pipeline in the Baltic Sea.
DLA Piper Denmark assists with the licensing of offshore projects, advises on the drafting and negotiation of services, supply and lifting arrangements and acts on M&A transactions in the energy sector. The team handles renewable energy as well as oil and gas projects and has expertise in offshore activities and utility services including electricity, heat, water supply and wastewater matters. Practice head Jacob Sparre Christiansen has notable expertise in wind farms, solar cell systems and biogas plants.
Jacob Sparre Christiansen
Superior knowledge of the Energy Sector
The team at DLA Piper is able to provide expert legal advice in key areas important to the production of power and heating, production of biogas, production of power from wind turbines, distribution of district heating, and the retail sale of power and water. By offering a full package of top-level advice in all these areas, the company stands out from its competitors
DLA Piper gives us practical advice, not just technical. Always good and fast client service.
Leading competency in biogas with knowledge of new and old regulatory frameworks
Jacob Sparre Christiansen is the partner who is our closest cooperation partner. In addition to providing expert legal advice, Jacob is also very focused on finding legal solutions to problems and is easy to contact and work with. Finally, the response time is very short
Knows our business and all the challenges. Gives good, practical advice in complex matters
Government of Greenland
Maabjerg Energy Center-Group
Billund Vand og Energi-Group
Skanderborg Forsyningsvirksomhed A/S
Vandmiljø Randers A/S
- Acted for DANVA, which intervened as a non-party in a number of cases which water companies had brought before the Danish Competition Appeals Tribunal.
- Advised Vestforsyning Group on a new offering of shares in Vestforsyning Vind.
- Advising Sønderborg Forsyning Group on the legal requirements for environmental surveys and the related discussions with the Danish Energy Agency.
Gorrissen Federspiel handles M&A transactions for companies in the energy and utilities sectors and also assists with the establishment of solar, biogas and wind energy plants and regulatory matters regarding the production, trading and distribution of electricity, district heating, water and fossil energy products. Practice head Michael Meyer is experienced in regulatory and transactional matters including the licensing of resource extraction projects and public procurement law mandates.
A/S Dansk Shell
Mærsk Olie og Gas A/S (Maersk Oil)
National Oilwell Varco
TANBREEZ Mining Greenland A/S
Danske Commodities A/S
NGF Nature Energy
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
- Advised Eniig on the merger between its subsidiary Eniig Renewables and wind turbine developer Eurowind Energy.
- Advising Facebook on the development and construction of a data centre in Denmark, including power grid connection issues.
- Advising Albatros Projects XIII on its acquisition of the Holmen II wind farm from European Energy and A. Rosen Finans.
With expertise in the energy and clean tech sectors, NJORD Law Firm is noted for its expertise in solar energy, wind power and onshore and offshore energy infrastructure projects. The practice also advises on the planning, development and execution phases of energy projects. Practice co-head Claas Thöle focuses on the Danish and German law aspects of commercial, corporate and renewable energy regulations, while co-head Thomas Rhyl assists with regulatory matters and the establishment of cross-border energy networks.
Thomas Ryhl; Claas Thöle
BayWa r.e. renewable energy GmbH
- Advised Nuvve on a joint project development agreement with ENEL and Nissan for the development of intelligent charging stations.
- Acted for Sagemcom in a protracted dispute with Vores Elnet relating to a public tender for the provision of intelligent meters.
Poul Schmith is regularly involved in the contentious and non-contentious aspects of energy supply and utility matters as well as offshore energy projects; the team also advises on supply issues and the drafting and negotiation of transportation and infrastructure agreements and acts in disputes arising from energy contracts. The client roster encompasses public companies and government institutions, alongside private energy providers. Practice co-head Klint Klingberg-Jensen leads the offshore practice, while fellow co-head Sune Fugleholm heads up the energy supply team.
Klint Klingberg-Jensen; Sune Fugleholm
Other key lawyers:
In-depth knowledge of the Danish subsoil act and pipeline act, historical knowledge and understanding of the Danish hydrocarbon sector
Sune Fugleholm is always doing a great job for us. In cases where we ask for a quick response, she gets back to us with helpful answers very quickly
Sune Fugleholm provides valuable services, even when she is approached at a very short notice
Energi-, Forsynings- og Klimaministeriet
Konkurrence- og Forbrugerstyrelsen
- Assisted the Danish Energy Agency with an agreement between The Danish Government and a licensee on the modernisation of the Sole Concession in the North Sea.
- Assisted the Danish Energy Agency with preparing a declaration of subsidiary liability in accordance with section 29(2) of the Underground Act for Shell.
- Assisting the Danish Energy Agency with the process of deciding whether Ørsted could permanently take its power plant in Esbjerg out of operation by the end of 2022.
The energy practice at WSCO Advokatpartnerselskab focuses on energy infrastructure projects and M&A transactions in the energy sector, and also leverages the group's expertise in maritime and transportation law to handle renewable energy projects. The group is particularly praised for its regulatory work and assists with permits and licences for offshore wind projects. Practice head Bo Sandroos is a go-to name for geothermal energy projects as well as oil, gas and mining projects.
Accessible and responsive
The team is responsive and hands on. Keen to ensure that the client’s needs are met in a timely manner
Bo Sandroos is pragmatic and responsive
Bo Sandroos is always available and will make you feel prioritised even in smaller matters
Dansk Ingeniør Service
Ocean Team Group
Niels Winther Maritime
- Advising the Danish Biogas Association on a revision of the Danish biogas rules.
- Advising Kalundborg Bioenergi on the terms and conditions for connections to the Danish gas transmission system.
- Assisting Niels Winther Maritime with matters relating to Danish work and residency permits for work in the North Sea and internal Danish waters.
Accura Advokatpartnerselskab counts companies in the wind and water energy, electricity, oil and gas sectors on its roster of domestic and international clients. Group head Kåre Stolt focuses on M&A transactions in the energy sector, and Laurits Schmidt Christensen is specialised in energy matters which involve regulatory and competition law elements. Other key areas of expertise include acting in contentious matters relating to the pricing of natural gas and advising on the exploration of oil and gas.
- Advised Chevron on the divestment of its stake in Danish Underground Consortium (DUC).
- Assisted SE with its €241m merger with Eniig.
- Advised Verdane Capital on its €70m acquisition of JSB Group.
Lassen Ricard advises on offshore matters related to the production and sale of gas and is a key contact for clients involved in the offshore wind business. The practice is also experienced in onshore matters including geothermal drilling projects. Practice head Henrik Schütze regularly handles issues arising from the production and sale of gas including regulatory and liability matters and also acts on heating and geothermal energy work; the team also assists managers of drilling companies with regulatory obligations.
Other key lawyers:
Jørgen Bek Weiss Hansen
This practice is unique because it is part of a highly competent law firm and at the same time understands the business we are in
Henrik Schütze is extremely competent, sharp, a strategic and tactical thinker – systematic, has the ability to understand complex technical subjects, has a sense of urgency
Ross DK A/S
Geotermisk Operatørselskab ApS
- Advised high-tech energy companies and energy-service companies on machine-learning software for offshore windmill repairs, advanced software solutions for biogas plant optimisation and patent-pending water recycling issues.
- Represented the Danish subsidiary of Ross Offshore (Ross DK) and its insurance company Tryg Forsikring in arbitration proceedings concerning a geothermal drilling project in Viborg.