The dedicated practice at Accura Advokatpartnerselskab advises large domestic and international corporates on the full range of matters, particularly regarding special rules and legislation within the health, life sciences and employment sectors. The team regularly advises on full-scale compliance projects, the drafting of GDPR codes, GDPR audits, and Data Protection Officer (DPO) services. Practice head Jens Harkov Hansen has over 16 years’ experience in advising on European data protection law matters, and Dan Ermose is an expert in data handling in the insurance and finance sectors, in addition to contractual issues.
Data privacy and data protection in Denmark
Jens Harkov Hansen
Other key lawyers:
Lessor Group A/S
Undersøgelseskommissionen om SKAT
- Advised VELUX Group on developing the group’s internal data processing structure in connection with the global outsourcing of IT services concerning the operation and maintenance of infrastructure and applications and end-user services.
- Advised HK on various issues related to data protection and GDPR implementation.
- Advised GUBI on GDPR compliance matters related to direct marketing.
Bech-Bruun houses a ‘very skilled and competent‘ IP and technology team, which often serves domestic businesses and international companies. Mikkel Friis Rossa and Susanne Stougaard jointly lead the team from Aarhus and Copenhagen respectively. Standout practitioner Rossa is ‘highly skilled‘ in advising on international data transfer issues and compliance programmes, and Stougaard advises public authorities and businesses on security breaches and business transfer due diligence. Charlotte Bagger Tranberg advises numerous public authorities, notably the Ministry of Culture, on the implementation of GDPR rules, and associate Egil Husum is frequently appointed DPO for municipalities and public authorities, often advising on the implementation of technological solutions.
Mikkel Friis Rossa; Susanne Stougaard
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Munk Rasmussen; Charlotte Bagger Tranberg; Egil Husum; Nilas Monberg
‘Susanne Stougaard and Nilas Monberg are among the best in their field and provide experience and service at the highest level. They keep themselves updated on all relevant GDPR news and maintain the highest level of compliance.’
‘The data privacy team at Bech-Bruun excel at understanding their clients needs before going into solution mode. They cultivate a very down to earth approach and are straight shooters who look for solutions.’
‘Mikkel Friis Rossa stands out. He always goes the extra mile and is is highly skilled.’
‘Very skilled and competent team, with a good sense of the reality in business.’
Salling Group A/S
DSV Panalpina Group
Arp-Hansen Hotel Group
The Zealand Region of Denmark
The Southern Region of Denmark
Nordic Entertainment Group
The Danish Medical Association
Norli Liv og Pension
- Represented Arp-Hansen Hotel Group A/S (AHHG) in a landmark decision on storage of personal data under the GDPR.
- Representing CNA Insurance in all instances where the cybersecurity insurance of CNA’s customer is triggered due to a cyber security breach.
- Appointed through public tenders as DPO for 13 municipalities organised in formalised digital working groups.
Gorrissen Federspiel‘s ‘exceptionally strong team‘ is known for its skill in handling digital business, transformations and regulatory work for domestic and international corporates across the energy and renewables, e-commerce, and engineering sectors. Practice head Tue Goldschmieding is an ‘exceptionally skilled expert‘ in data protection, who handles global GDPR compliance projects which primarily involve the implementation of policy frameworks, data mapping issues and gap analysis. Associate Max Gersvang Sørensen has notable experience in advising on crisis management and security breaches, in addition to data-driven marketing issues; he often appears before the Danish Data Protection Authority and the Danish Consumer Ombudsman in disputes.
Other key lawyers:
David Telyas; Max Gersvang Sørensen
‘Exceptionally strong team of highly skilled advisers providing top of the class legal advice on Data Protection Law.’
‘Tue Goldschmieding is an exceptionally skilled expert with an impressive understanding of businesses. Tue always provides excellent legal advice with an outstanding ability to find solutions.’
‘Tue Goldschmieding is very pragmatic, knowledgeable and service-minded. A great partner to businesses.’
‘Professional. Outstanding legal competencies. Holistic advice.’
‘Tue Goldschmieding is a stand-out lawyer. Tue is a really constructive and likeable person to work togethter with. He generates motivation and energy.’
Schibsted Denmark ApS
Nic. Christiansen Gruppen
Novo Nordisk A/S
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
A.P. Møller – Maersk A/S
Rambøll Gruppen A/S
eBay Classifieds Denmark ApS (now Schibsted Denmark ApS)
- Represented Schibsted Denmark ApS in a case initiated by the Danish Data Protection Agency regarding Schibsted’s processing of personal data about website visitors via cookies on the website www.dba.dk, owned by Schibsted.
- Advised the Nic. Christiansen Holding A/S on continuous GDPR compliance, development of digital products, and in relation to digital marketing initiatives, all related to the auto motoring industry.
- Advised Vestas Wind Systems A/S for a number of years on various data protection matters, including all aspects of Vestas’ data protection framework of policies and procedures and compliance tools.
Horten‘s GDPR and compliance team often collaborates with the IP-Tech team to advise on internal investigations, AI regulation, international transfers and whistleblower schemes. The practice serves a diverse client base of public authorities, clients in the financial sector, and pharmaceutical corporates. The team has experience in advising on individual processing cases and compliance projects within data protection, and also advises clients on dealings with the Danish Data Protection Agency, particularly regarding the reporting and handling of data breaches. Birgitte Toxværd departed for Kromann Reumert in April 2023.
‘The GDPR team at Horten are highly skilled in applying the data protection regulations to our complex business. They work tirelessly to understand our business purposes and goals.’
MAP Group A/S
BullWall Lab A/S
- Conducted company-wide GDPR compliance project for BullWall Lab A/S, preparing the company for the sale of the majority of the shares to the leading Danish private fund Axcel.
- Advised MAP Group on GDPR and financial secrecy rules, including preparing and sharpening the business model in the preparation for the required dialogue with the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority and the Danish Data Protection Agency.
- Conducted Fitness World’s elaborate GDPR compliance review project and working on reviewing existing documentation and updating it as necessary.
Kromann Reumert‘s ‘extraordinary‘ and ‘talented‘ team handles a variety of data protection mandates, including data processing work, security breaches, and issues relating to the rights and complaints of data subjects. Pia Kirstine Voldmester leads the team in Copenhagen after joining the practice from Bruun & Hjejle; she is ‘extremely competent’ in representing businesses in regulatory disputes before the Data Protection Agency. IT and telecoms specialist Kristian Storgaard leads from Aarhus, and associate Heela Lakanval is a whistleblower scheme and data protection specialist who is ‘extremely thorough‘ when advising on personal data processing for third country transfers and marketing issues. Director Daiga Grunte-Sonne also contributes. Birgitte Toxværd joined from Horten in April 2023.
Pia Kirstine Voldmester; Kristian Storgaard
Other key lawyers:
Heela Lakanval; Daiga Grunte-Sonne; Birgitte Toxværd
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester and her team are extraordinary in every way! They are so talented and I always feel prioritized when reaching out to them. They have such a high standard and one always knows that nothing is overlooked.’
‘Heela Lakanval is extremely thorough in her client approach and never overlooks anything. I know that when I work with Heela, the advice is flawless and I can truly rely on her work. She is up and coming!’
‘With Pia Kirstine Voldmester and Heela Lakanval, you’re not just a number, but an important client with an important mission – and they are there to help and guide you.’
‘Daiga Grunte-Sonne has broad legal knowledge in many areas. She takes our business seriously and is extremely proactive. She is remarkable and has become a trusted legal adviser.’
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester is second to none in data privacy and data protection. She is extremely competent and is very pleasant to work with.’
‘The team members and their knowledge about our business and the challenges we meet ensures that we always get exceptional legal advice as well as pragmatic solutions to potential issues.’
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester’s knowledge about her field is unmatched. Her commercial understanding of business makes her advice a very important part of our decisions.’
ISS World Services
TV 2 Danmark
The Danish Organization of General Practioners (PLO) and the Danish Medical Association (Lægeforeningen)
- Advised TV 2 Danmark on several data privacy issues, including the continuous implementation of the GDPR requirements, data processor agreements and third country transfer issues.
- Advised the Danish Organisation of General Practitioners (PLO) on matters relating to national projects within the healthcare sector and on the development of national app services for the healthcare sector.
Plesner fields a ‘genuinely passionate‘ team which advises on operational compliance matters, including personal data issues. The team serves a varied client base of non-profit organisations, and insititutions in the energy, transport and IT sectors. Practice head Michael Hopp advises domestic and overseas technology companies, banks and mortgage providers on whistleblower hotlines, employee monitoring issues and international data transfers, while employment specialist Tina Brøgger Sørensen excels in personal data mandates. Associate Peter Østerby Mønsted is a data protection and operational compliance specialist, and associate Jesper Husmer Vang advises public, semi-public and private clients on the full range of data protection issues at a national and EU level.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michael Hopp and Jesper Husmer Vang are my go-to practitioners for data privacy matters. They are always accessible on short notice with clear and pragmatic advice.Very pleasant to speak to and always to the point.’
‘The team gives good in-depth advice and knows the industry and local context very well. They are genuinely passionate and interested. Their engagement in our cases feels very genuine and it’s a pleasure working with them!’
‘Cæcilie Maahr Hansen is an excellent lawyer, who is both intelligent and a great person to work with.’
- Advising Danske Bank on an inspection performed by the Danish Data Protection Agency, Datatilsynet, regarding retention and deletion.
The ‘highly skilled‘ team at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab leverages its international reach to serve domestic and international institutions and public sector clients. The team’s combined expertise in technology, communications, and e-privacy enables it to advise on GDPR issues across the gaming, fintech and biotech sectors. Michael Gorm Madsen leads the team, and often advises on data mapping issues and gap analysis as part of GDPR implementation processes, GDPR compliance projects and the negotiation of data processor agreements.
Michael Gorm Madsen
‘Bird & Bird gives clear and operational advice with a solid understanding of the client’s business and specific needs.’
‘Michael Gorm Madsen is excellent at getting to the core of issues, and understanding the client’s needs.’
‘The team has good knowledge about the industry and market. They are able to quickly identify what questions are relevant and focus on what’s important.’
‘The team is highly skilled, available for discussions and have a business mindset that allows us to quickly get answers to what we actually need.’
Synsam Group/Profil Optik A/S
WS Audiology (Widex) A/S
Data for Good Foundation
Uneeg A/S/T&W Medical A/S
Københavns Kommune – Municipality of Copenhagen
Zizzi Danmark ApS
Frishop Danmark A/S
Danish Ministry of Taxes
Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science
ALK-Abello Nordic A/S
B&O – Bang & Olufsen
Milestone Systems A/S
Scalepoint Technologies Denmark A/S
APC Insurance Brokers
The Danish Organisation of Insurance Brokers
Zizzi Danmark ApS
- Advised Synsam Group AB on an overall GDPR compliance project, involving all of the group’s entities and activities in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.
- Advised numerous private and public clients on the complex requirements on transfers of personal data to third countries, in particular to the US, including Coloplast A/S, Ardoq AS, E-nettet A/S, Tradeshift A/S, and Naturstyrelsen.
- Advised the municipality of Copenhagen on the drafting of its overall cloud strategy in relation to privacy.
Aarhus-based firm Clemens dispenses advice on the full scope of data protection matters, including data subject requests and security breach cases against the Danish Data Protection Agency. Associate Camilla Sand Fink leads the practice alongside Tommy Angermair. Fink often acts as an external project manager on multinational and domestic projects, and dispenses compliance advice on data processing audits and control, and Angermair focuses on the HR, immigration, and mobility aspects of data privacy.
Tommy Angermair; Camilla Sand Fink
‘Competent advice and the ability to make complicated material understandable.’
‘Camilla Sand Fink is a leader in the field and we feel confident in her advice. She is knowledgeable and educational.’
‘Clemens is a fairly young team with a lot of experience. The firm and the team are very agile.’
‘It is an absolute joy to work with lawyers who have worked in the field in organisations. There is a much better understanding of the actual practical challenges, and so solutions are easier to implement and are more sustainable.’
Liebherr Denmark ApS
Universal Robots A/S
Mobile Industrial Robots A/S
Indeks retail A/S
Energy systems A/S
NRGi Elsalg A/S
Work & Co
Heidrick & Struggles
Beumer Group A/S
NRGi Administration A/S
Interflora Danmark A/S
Mjølner Informatics A/S
Whistleblower Software ApS
Soerensen Leather ApS
Dansk Computer Center A/S
Unik Recruitment A/S
Loyalty Factory ApS
La Cabra Coffee
- Advised Universal Robots on project management work and the ongoing maintenance of its overall global compliance programme.
- Advising Normal A/S on ad hoc privacy related issues and has furthermore assisted Normal A/S with an extensive data processor control project including review of risk assessment and data processing agreements on all data processors engaging with Normal A/S and compliance control either by review of data processor questionnaires and declarations or the review of audit statements.
- Advised ALBOA on the preparation of the organisation’s overall compliance programme, including assistance with the initial data flow mapping, GDPR software tool integration and preparation of mandatory documentation, risk assessment and training of employees.
DLA Piper Denmark’s team utilises its international network to advise on whistleblowing solutions, data protection audits and impact assessments, and the regulation of biometrics. Practice head Marlene Winther Plas advises on technology and data protection contract disputes, compliance projects, and data breaches, and Jon Lauritzen frequently acts as a DPO, using his employment law experience to advise on HR-related matters. Director Martin Hjørlund Nielsen provides ‘first-class advice‘ on operational compliance and data driven marketing issues.
Marlene Winther Plas
Other key lawyers:
Jon Lauritzen; Martin Hjørlund Nielsen; Anders Nielsen
‘Martin Hjørlund Nielsen is excellent and he provides first-class advice on a large task updating entire GDPR packages.’
‘Anders Nielsen has been an excellent adviser, providing a unique pragmatic approach, which assists with easy deployable solutions.’
‘The team has business acumen and the capability to understand and adapt to our needs as a customer.’
Landsbyggefonden (the Danish National Housing Fund)
Økonomistyrelsen (section under the Danish Ministry of Finance)
City of Copenhagen
PNO Holding A/S
DCC Energy A/S
Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/S
Small Danish Hotels
The Velux Foundation
- Advising Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/Swith on the expansion of the existing approval for the use of facial recognition technology at Brøndby Stadion.
- Acting for a private dentist and the Danish Dental Association in a High Court case regarding GDPR brought by HK (a labour union) regarding non-material damages.
- Advising Nordstat Danmark A/S (formerly Userneeds) on various Data Protection related matters.
Lund Elmer Sandager’s practice acts for a diverse client base of notable corporates, including Toyota, Kia Motors Denmark, and MG Motors Denmark. The team often handles matters concerning the negotiation of data processing agreements and GDPR-related marketing issues. ‘Highly skilled‘ practice head Torsten Hylleberg regularly dispenses advice on GDPR issues relating to employee data, compliance issues, and policies regarding organisational security; he also acts as DPO and handles complaints before the Danish Data Protection Agency.
Other key lawyers:
Anders Linde Reislev
‘The team has in-depth knowledge and advice around IT contracts and GDPR issues.’
‘Torsten Hylleberg is highly skilled and has industry knowledge. Dedicated on all matters.’
Data and More
Toyota Financial Services
FREJA Transport & Logistics A/S
TV2 Lorry Broadcasting
Nextway Software A/S
Square Meter ApS
MG Motors Denmark
Kia Motors Denmark
- Advising Toyota Denmark and Toyota Financial Services on GDPR related issues.
- Advising Autobranchen Danmark on a project on personal data protection for its 1,200 member firms.
- Advising the eight TV2 Regions on GDPR compliance/acting as DPO.
Poul Schmith‘s team of ‘brilliant‘ and ‘relentlessly focused‘ practitioners handles public sector data processing mandates, and often serves clients in the healthcare sector on the use and regulation of health-related data. Practice head Jakob Kamby handles matters relating to compliance within organisations, while Martin Sønnersgaard advises on the use of AI in automated decision making and privacy by design. Praised by clients for being ‘creative and wise beyond her years‘, associate Kirsten Marie Donato focuses on advising clients in the financial sector on special conditions relating to data processing.
Other key lawyers:
Martin Sønnersgaard; Kirsten Marie Donato; Jesper Nørøxe
‘When it comes to Data Privacy and Data Protection, the team is outstanding in bringing trustworthy intelligent legal advice to complicated international data sharing challenges.’
‘The team has an excellent understanding of the challenges and possibilities in an organisation, and high levels of academic knowledge and interpersonal skills. They are brilliant lawyers – very creative and relentlessly focused on what the client needs.’
‘Kirsten Marie Donato has brilliant subject matter knowledge, applied in a no nonsense, practical way. She is very creative and wise beyond her years. Clients love working with her.’
‘What makes the team stand out is their ability to be highly specialised individually and as a team; and that they are very efficient and complement each other very well.’
‘The team is very competent and possesses extensive knowledge of data protection.’
‘Martin Sønnersgaard possesses in-depth knowledge of data protection legislation, good technical understanding, and great experience in larger tech projects.’
‘Poul Schmith is a very competent and pleasant business partner. You feel well treated as a customer and the team you meet are welcoming and skilled at what they do.’
‘Kirsten Marie Donato and Jesper Nørøxe are both very skilled and very pleasant. They are both very honest and trustworthy.’
Danish Life Science Cluster
Agency for Digital Government
The Danish Agency for Data Supply and Infrastructure
The Danish Committee for Health Education
Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs
Statens Serum Institut
Innovation Fund Denmark
Danish Patient Safety Authority
University of Aarhus
Danish Agency for Higher Education and Science
The Royal Danish Theatre
Statens og Kommunernes Indkøbsservice A/S
Rejsekort & Rejseplan A/S
The IT and Development Agency of the Danish Ministry of Taxation
- Advised the Danish Life Science Cluster and Danish Ministry of Health on an extensive report and legal analysis on the regulatory framework for the use of health data for the development and testing of innovative solutions based on data driven technologies, including AI.
- Advising the Danish Agency for Data Supply and Infrastructure on the provision of a new data distribution platform for the distribution of fundamental register data from several public authorities via one platform.
- Advising the Danish Agency for Digital Government on the provision of a new national digital post solution for public authorities to communicate securely and digitally with citizens and businesses.
Using its ‘first-class‘ knowledge, the team at Bruun & Hjejle dispenses advice on litigation and enforcement risk, data protection impact assessments, and the handling of data subjects’ rights. The practice acts for a varied client base of banks, insurance companies and commercial foundations. Associate partner and ‘outstanding attorney‘ Anna de Vos-Zehngraff leads the team, and is ‘highly qualified‘ in advising on business transfers, compliance projects and investigations. Pia Kirstine Voldmester and her team departed to Kromann Reumert in 2022.
Anna de Vos-Zehngraff
‘The team is highly responsive and one of the best within their field.’
‘Anna de Vos-Zehngraff is very knowledgeable within her field and gives excellent and valuable advice. She is a joy to work with, and is really competent.’
‘Anna de Vos-Zehngraff is outstanding in her understanding of businesses and what is needed to get GDPR as an integrated part of the culture in even very large organisations. You will never meet Anna without a very big smile on her face and can cut to the chase very quickly.’
‘The team provides specialist advice in the data privacy area. Very much to the point, practical, and have a very good understanding of customer needs.’
‘Anna de Vos-Zehngraff has impressive, in-depth theoretical privacy knowledge. Combined with her very practical and pragmatic approach, she is a solution-oriented, proactive and highly skilled adviser within the field of GDPR. Always available and responsive. On top of that, Anna is incredibly pleasant and easy to work with.’
‘Anna de Vos-Zehngraff’s approach is very pragmatic and she is also good at involving and listening to her clients. You always feel both seen and heard when you work with her.’
‘The knowledge of data privacy and data protection and the business oriented solutions are first class. The team is proactive and very informed.’
‘Anna de Vos-Zehngraff is highly qualified in the field of data protection. She has great experience in the transfer of data, personal data in transactions, and data controller agreements. She is really an outstanding attorney.’
Old Irish Pub
Kirk Kapital A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Copenhagen Infrastructure Service Company Ltd.
Global Equestrian Group
International Woodland Company A/S
Karnov Group Danmark
Co Play Law
The compliance team at Co Play Law handles compliance projects, data processing agreements and ad-tech related issues. The practice serves a diverse client base of domestic and international start-ups and corporates in the gaming, healthcare and IT sectors, and has seen an increase in mandates concerning the use of cloud services, an area in which co-head Niels Dahl-Nielsen is a specialist. Heidi Højmark Helveg jointly leads the team with Dahl-Nielsen.
Niels Dahl-Nielsen; Heidi Højmark Helveg
Other key lawyers:
Line Forsberg Pointinger
‘Line Forsberg Pointinger and Niels Dahl-Nielsen understands our business and the maturity level our organisation/project is at and they understand to give advice that suits our needs.’
J. H. Schultz Information A/S
Finans Team ApS
Godt Smil Tandlægerne
Vestegnen HF & VUC
- Advised J. H. Schultz Information A/S on all matters concerning privacy and data protection.
- Appointed to act as breach response manager in Denmark for Beazley to handle data breaches from a legal perspective and technical aspects such as procuring forensic support.
DAHL Law Firm‘s technology, IP and data practice serves government agencies, mid-sized businesses and large corporates, and handles both contentious and non-contentious matters. Frederik Bruhn and Tim Nielsen act as joint practice heads; Nielsen predominantly advises research organisations and IT companies on the re-use of research data, data security issues and international data transfers. Frans Skovholm was promoted to partner in July 2022 and has notable knowledge of the implementation of organisational management systems and their compliance with GDPR, and Mads Nygaard Madsen excels in personal data law.
Frederik Bruhn; Tim Krarup Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Mads Nygaard Madsen; Frans Skovholm
‘In DAHL we have found someone who wants what it best for us, even if that means taking a bit of risk on their end, and it is truly appreciated! There is no doubt in our mind that DAHL will be one of the definitive winners of the Legal Tech arms race!’
‘All individuals we have worked with have been incredible! The team at DAHL are not like other lawyers.’
The Danish Cancer Society
ISTA Denmark A/S
- Representing the Danish Cancer Society as an external DPO.
- Advised Acubiz on the drafting of various data protection documents, including a new data processing agreement template relating to the client’s Acubiz EMS solution.
- Advising ISTA Denmark A/S on a daily basis with GDPR related questions.
Led by Mette Vestergaard Huss, Skau Reipurth‘s team handles risk analyses and compliance issues for associations and corporates, in addition to acting as external DPOs and GDPR compliance officers for domestic companies. Huss is particularly adept at advising NGOs, political organisations and worker’s unions, and associate Natasha Lerche is a data protection compliance specialist. Bo Enevold Uhrenfeldt left the practice to join Littler Mendelson P.C..
Mette Vestergaard Huss
Other key lawyers:
Pack Tech ApS
Kemp & Lauritzen A/S
De Danske Bilimportører
Georg Jensen A/S
Resea Projects ApS
ELF Development A/S
B Cool A/S
forbundet Kultur og Information
Det Danske Spejderkorps