Accura Advokatpartnerselskab advises both national and international companies on the full spectrum of privacy and data protection matters. The specialised team has extensive experience in GDPR audits, compliance projects and data protection due diligence as well as providing DPO services to several public commissions of inquiries in Denmark. It is particularly adept at handling matters in health, life sciences, finance and insurance sectors, and labour and employment-related mandates. ‘Privacy super star’ Jens Harkov Hansen heads up the practice and is an expert in European data protection law.
Firms in the Spotlight Data privacy and data protection
Data privacy and data protection in Denmark
Jens Harkov Hansen
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely professional and competent employees with the professional high level combined with a practical and “down to earth” approach to solutions. There is no doubt that Accura has one of the best Data privacy and data protection units in Denmark.’
‘Accuracy Data privacy and data protection unit- led by Jens Harkov – has the ability to combine professional knowledge with practical solutions.’
‘Over the last year, Dan Ermose has helped with contracts and other legal matters. He is very easy to work with for a professional who has no legal background. He always responds very fast and provides excellent and useful advice.’
‘Accura runs the most impressive Data Protection practice in the country. The department excels in they provide tangible and operationally manageable solutions to the most complex challenges. Their advice is always focused on how to achieve the desired outcome and facilitate getting clients to where they want to go without tripping over the intricacies of the stringent privacy regulation.’
‘Privacy Super Star, Jens Harkov Hansen, is literally an inexhaustible source of knowledge on Privacy Law and to my knowledge by far the leading specialist in the Danish market. No matter what the issue is and irrespective of its complexity Jens has the solution readily at hand. He is pragmatic, highly approachable and very capable of identifying operational solutions to complex challenges in this space making it a genuine pleasure to solicit his advice.’
North Risk A/S
Lessor Group A/S
BB Electronics A/S
The Control and Steering Group related to the Use of Telecommunication Data
Undersøgelseskommissionen om SKAT
MSD Denmark ApS
- Advised HK on various issues related to data protection and operational GDPR implementation.
- Advised North Risk A/S on the data protection aspects related to the acquisition and consolidation of six companies from the insurance, pension and financial sector, and assisted with GDPR implementation.
- Advised Birch Ejendomme on data protection and GDPR implementation within the real estate sector.
The IP and technology team at Bech-Bruun works with a range of clients, including public bodies, Danish businesses and global corporations. Led by Mikkel Friis Rossa, the group advises on the full gamut of data protection issues, from GDPR disputes and outsourcing mandates to DPO services and the implementation of data protection compliance programmes. Other key members of the team include Susanne Stougaard , who focuses on gap analyses and data mapping, and newly promoted partner Charlotte Bagger Tranberg, who is an expert in EU law.
Mikkel Friis Rossa
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Munk Rasmussen; Susanne Stougaard; Charlotte Bagger Tranberg
‘The Bech-Bruun house delivers very professional and thorough advice. The Data privacy and protection team is in our opinion one of the most competent teams in Denmark.’
‘Charlotte Bagger Tranberg and Mikkel Friis Rossa are both outstanding advisers with a customer-tailored approach.’
‘Bech Bruun has a very practical approach to complex legal issues and understands the value of aligning solutions with business needs, when possible.’
‘With their highly specialized team in data protection, Bech Bruun offers a very unique service, also to public authorities.’
‘Charlotte Bagger Tranberg – With a background from the university world and now her several years with experience from the legal industry, Charlotte provides the best basis for advice in the interface between data protection and health legislation.’
‘Mikkel Friis Rossa and his team can always be reached and the response is always fast, to the point and value-adding. Mikkel and his team have a deep understanding of the legal framework and our business and seamlessly provide us with practical solutions.’
‘Susanne Stougaard is an easy-to-work-with seasoned lawyer with a very high level of expertise in data protection. She provides pragmatic and practical advice.’
‘Seen from the point of view of the client the team gives us a perfect match. We are receiving extremely competent advice and unrequested information about new practices. Our requests are treated immediately and with a prompt response.’
Salling Group A/S
DSV Panalpina Group
Arp-Hansen Hotel Group
The Northern Region of Denmark
The Zealand Region of Denmark
JS World Media
The Region of Northern Denmark
- Representing IDdesign A/S in a landmark matter – the first court case in Denmark regarding GDPR sanctions, successfully reducing the DKK1.5m fine imposed by the Danish Data Protection Agency to DKK100,000.
- Acting as DPO for 12 municipalities gathered in a formalised digital working group (DIGIT) and performing the tasks defined in art. 37 of the GDPR, including assisting in data protection breaches, participating in information security meetings, performing educational activities, and responding to a hotline for the municipality staff in a wide range of data protection questions.
- Acting as an external DPO on behalf of Vejle Municipality and representing the client in a landmark matter before the courts concerning the largest fine imposed on a municipality in Denmark for non-compliance with the GDPR.
The data privacy and data protection practice at Bruun & Hjejle handles a broad range of issues, including data breaches, compliance projects, GPDR implementation, and outsourcing projects. The team has a strong contentious element, with substantial experience representing clients in high-stakes litigation. As the only lawyer appointed as a member of the Data Council (Datarådet) by the Ministry of Justice, practice head Pia Kirstine Voldmester is widely recognised as an ‘undisputed champion of data privacy’.
Pia Kirstine Voldmester
‘The absolute leading data privacy team in Denmark.’
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester leads a team of dedicated professionals that are available and responsive; ready to lean forward and provide pragmatic and business-friendly advice.’
‘Pia Kirstine Voldmester is a top-tier partner in this area; recognised for her data privacy wisdom by the Department of Justice following her appointment as their representative on the Data Protection Board. Always keen on finding solutions that will not impair our ability to do business.’
‘We have received excellent advice adjusted to our specific needs. Communication has been suited for legal counterparts, as well as implementing staff.’
‘We have valued the ability to communicate the legal aspects in a manner that made application of advice easily transferable to implementation.’
‘Very service-minded team with fast responses.’
The Danish Organization of General Practitioners (PLO)
- Advised state-owned TV2 on a number of data-related matters and also providing ongoing advice regarding compliance with the GDPR.
- Defended Taxa 4×35, Denmark’s largest taxi company, in one of the first cases / legal actions of the GDPR against the Danish Police (the Danish Data Protection Agency via the Danish Prosecution Service) concerning violation of the basic principles of the GDPR.
- Advised Danske Bank on GDPR issues, negotiations of DPAs, investigations and risk assessments in relation to the direct investigations into the non-resident portfolio of customers in the bank’s Estonian branch and accompanying AML issues.
Led by Tue Goldschmieding, digital business and transformation work are cornerstones of the Gorrissen Federspiel data protection practice. It has specialist expertise in digital regulatory work as well as big data mandates and the use of AI for data analysis. The group is also adept at handling data protection issues, data ethics and cybersecurity work, with major national and international corporates seeking out the department for its ‘top of the class legal advice’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Top of the class legal advice and an outstanding understanding of the business.’
‘Based on an impressive business understanding and a strong commercial mindset, Tue Goldschmieding always provides excellent legal advice on all aspects of Data Protection Law that work in a business setting. Tue Goldschmieding is one of the best attorneys I have ever worked with and he is always my first choice when I need a trusted adviser.’
‘A highly skilled team with good understanding for commercial needs.’
‘Our partner’s operational approach has helped us out many times.’
‘The practice is very successfully built around the partner Tue Goldschmieding and consists of quite a number of highly qualified but yet very business-oriented lawyers. Whether a contractual matter is addressed or the recent publications of the Danish Data Protection Agency need to be considered: the team will be ready to help with fully compliant and directly business-applicable suggestions, brought into the format you as client can best work with.’
‘Approachable, flexible, solution-minded.’
Novo Nordisk A/S
Vestas Wind Systems A/S
A.P. Møller – Maersk A/S
Rambøll Gruppen A/S
Nic. Christiansen Holding A/S
eBay Classifieds Denmark ApS (now Schibsted Denmark ApS)
- Assisted eBay’s Danish subsidiary, eBay Classifieds Scandinavia ApS (now Schibsted Denmark ApS due to a transaction) in relation to the revision of its cookie setup and related data protection aspects.
- Advising Chr. Hansen in establishing Binding Corporate Rules (BCR) and assisted with developing the BCR documentation and managing the application process and interactions with the supervisory authorities.
- Advised Nic. Christiansen Holding in relation to data privacy on continuous GDPR compliance, development of digital products and in relation to digital marketing initiatives all related to auto motoring.
Focusing primarily on GDPR and compliance-related issues, the team at Horten advises on international transfers, internal investigations and the addition of GDPR in AI projects. Practice head Birgitte Toxværd has extensive experience advising both public authorities and the private sector, with a strong client base in the financial sector, municipalities and the energy sector. The team works closely with IP and IT partners to address issues in marketing law, whistleblower matters and the use of social media.
‘We are working with the team around partner Birgitte Toxværd. The team is exceptionally thorough and detailed in its 360° evaluation of complex data protection matters and particularly skilled in considering and advising on likely public authority/government views in data protection legislation and its implementation.’
Scandlines Danmark A/S
Dansk Energi (The Danish Energy Association)
MAP Group A/S
- Advised Centrica on two major issues as part of a greater litigation complex; advising on how to handle an internal investigation in Centrica in Denmark and handling data subject access requests from 23 former employees.
- Advised Dansk Energi (the Danish Energy Association) on a nation-wide project relating to the use of energy consumption data by consumers and companies including advising on the legality of the processing of the data and the development of a model for anonymisation of the data in order to prepare data sets for publication and use by other organisations to aid development of green initiatives and products.
- Advised MAP Group, a Danish fintech start-up, on GDPR and financial secrecy rules, helping to prepare and sharpen the business model on fraud-detection and data uses as authorisation from the Data Protection Agency is necessary for this type of business.
Kromann Reumert focuses on GDPR regulations as well as assisting clients with security breaches, data protection audits and Danish DPA issues. The team also advises on data protection matters relating to the profiling of data subjects, use of location and processing of biometric data. Daiga Grunte-Sonne is a ‘star’ associate whose practice concentrates on the interplay of data protection rules and marketing and consumer protection laws. Former practice head Tina Brøgger Sørensen departed to Plesner in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Daiga Grunte-Sonne; Heela Lakanval
‘In-depth knowledge about rules and practices in the area.’
‘We are met with great professionalism and Kromann Reumert is always keen to help support us with quick and actionable guidance. I am grateful that we are prioritized although our cases are low-profile and small cases.’
‘Daiga Grunte-Sonne is an absolute star. She is at our beck and call and not only is she eager to assist, but she is also always reachable, extremely knowledgeable in all areas relevant to our vast scope of digital products. We feel we are in very good hands. Her area of expertise is very broad which I find to be quite unique and we value her support deeply.’
‘Good and diverse team, with complimentary skillsets.’
‘Pragmatic and effective in meetings.’
‘Kromann Reumert helped us get ready for GDPR in a capable and service-minded manner.’
The Danish Health Data Authority
A&D Resources A/S
Saxo Bank A/S
Sonova Retail Denmark ApS
4 Finance ApS
Food Folk Danmark ApS (McDonald’s)
Louis Poulsen A/S
- Assisted with several major, complex and fundamental projects for Saxo Bank A/S.
- Assisted A&D Resources A/S with negotiations of data processing agreements involving the transfer of personal data to third countries, and a major compliance project.
- Assisted The Danish Health Data Authority with the preparation of several risk assessments and data protection impact assessments.
Plesner advises high-profile clients in the finance, IT, energy and transport sectors as well as handling pro bono work for several non-profit organisations. The team specialises in data privacy and data protection matters, with practice head Michael Hopp focusing on GDPR issues as well as compliance projects and international data transfers. The group also collaborates closely with its employment department, working cross-practice to provide advice on issues such as employee monitoring. Director Peter Østerby Mønsted ‘stands out’ and is praised by client as ‘one to look out for’. Tina Brøgger Sørensen joined from Kromann Reumert in early 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Jesper Husmer Vang; Peter Østerby Mønsted; Tina Brøgger Sørensen
‘The team is available whenever you need assistance. They provide ‘second to none legal advice’ and have a very good understanding of customer needs.’
‘Michael Hopp is considered as a “guru” within the area. He is a fantastic skilled and experienced partner with a proactive and solution-oriented approach. Always engaged and available. He is extremely pleasant and knowledgeable.’
‘Peter Mønsted stands out as a solution-oriented, pragmatic and highly skilled adviser within the field of GDPR. Definitely one to look out for.’
‘Plesner law firm provides specialist advice in the data privacy area. Very much to the point, practical and also with insights into how the Data Protection Agency are viewing a specific matter as well as insights into the financial sector.’
‘Tina Brøgger Sørensen is outstanding and provides to the point advice within data protection matters.’
‘Jesper Husmer Vang has a unique insight from his past as the Head of Division for the Danish Data Protection Agencies inspection unit.’
‘The team is uniquely positioned and skilled to take on any complex GDPR transaction or matter. They are regarded as number one in the DK market and have always been frontrunners within advising, education and also system-development/rolling out compliance frameworks etc.’
‘First-class legal advice, which gives you the possibility to make decisions on a fully transparent legal background and thus the best foundation on which a risk-based business operating model/decision can be made.’
- Assisting Danske Bank with the drafting of responses to the Danish Data Protection Agency, Datatilsynet, which has opened an inspection case against the bank as a follow-up to the bank’s debt collection case.
The privacy and data protection team at Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab consists of technology and communication practitioners and e-privacy specialists. The strength of the team is reflected in its broad client base, including substantial public sector clients, such as the Municipality of Copenhagen, as well as corporates in the private sector. Michael Gorm Madsen leads the group and has a strong cross-border practice, assisting both Danish and global organisations. Counsel Katja Djurhuus is an ‘absolute star’, advising on all aspects of collecting, processing and disclosing personal data.
Michael Gorm Madsen
Other key lawyers:
‘They are extremely good with Privacy Law and Contracts.’
‘They have a high degree of knowledge about the latest developments in cases relevant to this, and they are actually high-level talking with some of the key players in the market about their procedures.’
‘Very knowledgeable from a theoretical privacy perspective. Special in depth knowledge about our exact industry (life sciences). At the same time, understanding the business need to be pragmatic which is super helpful.’
‘Katja Djurhuus stands out as an absolute star. She understands quickly even highly complex problems that are quite unique for our industry. She is bright, highly skilled and knowledgeable.’
‘Swift, pragmatic advice with good understanding of our business needs.’
Profil Optik A/S
WS Audiology (Widex) A/S
Data for Good Foundation
Københavns Kommune (Municipality of Copenhagen)
Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science
Danish Ministry of Taxes
Global Biodiversity Information Facility
Thrane & Thrane A/S, trading as Cobham SATCOM
Cookie Information A/S
Den Storkøbenhavnske Digitaliseringsforening
TUNN3L JV I/S
3L Consumer Products A/S
Fleet Complete Danmark ApS
Danish Insurance Brokers Organisation
FDIH (Organisation of E-trade)
- Advising Synsam Group in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway on a cross-border GDPR compliance project.
- Advising the Danish Ministries of Taxation and Higher Education and Science on the tenders of new IT systems for Customs and a new Student Administration System for eight Danish Universities.
- Advising the private charitable foundation Data for Good on establishing an unprecedented personal data exchange.
Based in Aarhus, the data privacy group at Clemens is jointly led by Tommy Angermair and senior associate Camilla Sand Fink. It advises on the full gamut of issues, including overall GDPR compliance programmes, data processor audits and security breaches. In conjunction with the firm’s employment department, the team has specific expertise with regard to the HR aspects of data privacy issues.
Tommy Angermair; Camilla Sand Fink
‘Really tries to understand the problems and because of that gives advice that not just works on paper, but also works in “the real world”. They do not just want to please the customer, but also says what they mean. This is really appreciated.’
‘You have the feeling that Clemens Law is on your side and that they have your interests in mind.’
‘We choose the Clemens Law Firm as they are specifically practicing the data privacy law (GDPR). We found it helpful to use Clemens Law Firm, as they give us practical advice from a legal point of view, which we found very important for us. The answers are very useful, as I mentioned, practical and we get it on very short notice, so it helps us in our business.’
‘We work particularly on the data privacy law topic with Camilla Sand Fink. Camilla is very professional, thinking out the box, helpful, always happy to support and advise on certain areas at short notice.’
‘Clemens Data Privacy team has hands-on, real business world experience that enables them to better understand the client context and recommend suitable approaches.’
‘Camilla Sand Fink, a senior associate, has an excellent in-depth knowledge of GDPR matters and consistently provides excellent legal guidance to us on this subject matter.’
‘Clemens law has an open approach and is exceptional at seeing exciting opportunities in their advice. They are easy to communicate with and always available when we need them to help us resolve problems.’
Liebherr Denmark ApS
Universal Robots A/S
Mobile Industrial Robots A/S
Indeks retail A/S
Energy systems A/S
NRGi Elsalg A/S
Work & Co
Heidrick & Struggles
Beumer Group A/S
NRGi Administration A/S
Interflora Danmark A/S
Mjølner Informatics A/S
Work & Co
Whistleblower Software ApS
Soerensen Leather ApS
Dansk Computer Center A/S
Loyalty Factory ApS
- Assisted Universal Robots with project management and ongoing maintenance of its overall global compliance programme.
- Assisted Mobile Industrial Robots with project management and ongoing maintenance of its overall global compliance programme.
- Assisted ALBOA with the preparation of the organisation’s overall compliance programme, including assistance with the initial data flow mapping, GDPR software tool integration and preparation of mandatory documentation.
A noteworthy area of expertise for the DLA Piper Denmark data protection and privacy team is the regulation of biometrics, particularly regarding automated facial recognition. It is also adept at handling cybersecurity issues and HR-related data protection issues, with Martin Hjørlund Nielsen and Jon Lauritzen being the key contacts. Practice head Marlene Winther Plas is a certified IT lawyer handling e-privacy and GDPR matters.
Marlene Winther Plas
Other key lawyers:
Jon Lauritzen; Martin Hjørlund Nielsen
Air Alsie A/S
Brøndbyernes IF Fodbold A/S
City of Copenhagen
Dan Church Aid
Landsbyggefonden (the Danish National Housing Fund)
DCC Energy A/S
EDC Gruppen A/S
Ministry of Finance
People Test Systems A/S
PNO Holding A/S
University of Copenhagen
- Advising Brøndby IF on its ongoing work relating to and planned expansion of its Automated Facial Recognition system, which was approved in 2019.
- Acting as trusted adviser of People Test Systems A/S on all matters regarding data protection relations and handling an extensive amount of negotiations with its customers on data processing agreements.
- Advising Abbott on its GDPR and privacy compliance in Denmark.
Lund Elmer Sandager acts for a wide-ranging client base, including international clients in the Danish market as well as foreign corporate groups. The practice has strong GDPR capabilities, with practice head Torsten Hylleberg being an expert in this area, leveraging a ‘rare combination of razor-sharp legal knowledge with a deep understanding of the IT business’. The team also advises on compliance policies, represents clients in contentious work, and acts as DPO for a variety of clients.
Other key lawyers:
Anders Linde Reislev
‘Lund Elmer Sandager has a very professional attitude towards its clients. The assigned contact person will follow you in any legal area, so you have the optimal service from day one. This makes them very trustworthy and as a client, you feel that they have a general interest in a good partnership and are not just in it for the money.’
‘LES has a wide range of in-house specialists = call one team, and you get the necessary help.’
‘They are always prepared and work professionally.’
‘Lund Elmer Sandager is a good-sized team that combines solid legal expertise with great availability.’
‘Torsten Hylleberg possesses a rare combination of razor-sharp legal knowledge and a deep understanding of the IT business.’
‘High degree of flexibility and quality in the deliverables.’
‘The team was very quick and professional at understanding the task that needed to be solved and also allocating the right individuals to handle the specific task.’
‘Anders Linde Reislev is very skilled within the area of data privacy and data protection. He is focused, fast and pleasant to work with. He has been quick at returning calls and/or mails and has been excellent at suggesting a good way forward while keeping track of corrections.’
Data and More
Justface Fitness ApS/Justface Retail ApS
Toyota Financial Services
FREJA Transport & Logistics A/S
TV2 Lorry Broadcasting
Nextway Software A/S
Square Meter ApS
- Assisting the members of DJØF with GDPR related questions.
- Assisting Autobranchen Danmark in relation to a project on personal data protection for its 1200 members.
- Advising the eight TV2 Regions on GDPR compliance.
Specialising in technology, CO:PLAY‘s data protection team advises well-established industry players as well as Danish and international start-ups. Niels Dahl-Nielsen and Heidi Højmark Helveg co-head the practice which handles data processing agreements, GDPR compliance projects and the protection of privacy in electronic communications such as cookies and ad-tech.
Niels Dahl-Nielsen; Heidi Højmark Helveg
Godt Smil Tandlægerne
Vestegnen HF & VUC
Hammer Andersen I/S
We.Care Health A/S
Synlab Medical Digital Services A/S
- Acting as Data Protection Officer to Geomatic, a Nordic business within analytics and data.
- Acting as Data Protection Officer to AudiencePeroject and advising on data protection.
- Assisting Rambøll with GDPR audit which assesses the client’s processes, systems, records and activities in order to provide advice on a wide range of data protection matters.
DAHL Law Firm‘s privacy team sits within the firm’s IT and IP department and handles a range of issues, including international data transfers, the implementation of compliance programmes, data processing agreements and disputes. Claus F. Sørensen leads the group that includes IT and data protection expert Mads Nygaard Madsen, who joined the team from Horten in February 2021. The practice also has an emerging outsourced DPO service.
Claus F. Sørensen
Other key lawyers:
Mads Nygaard Madsen
‘Quick and easy accessibility, extremely good advice. Great satisfaction with the task solution.’
‘DAHL Law has a team which is very experienced in data protection / GDPR laws and practices, and provides excellent advice in these areas.’
‘Very knowledgeable, and good at advising on how to implement data protection / GDPR in a swift and pragmatic manner.’
‘DAHL Law understands our business and therefore advises us based on our situation and our processes. It provides value because we then jointly translate legal advice into practical actions that suit us. It gives value to us.’
‘The advice we received from DAHL Law Firm was specific and nuanced.’
‘The team showed deep knowledge of the issues, but more importantly, they showed deep understanding of our business and needs.’
The Danish Cancer Society
- Advised the Danish Cancer Society on the data privacy aspects of the use, reuse and sharing of personal data in relation to the research project and data pool “Diet, Cancer and Health”.
- Assisted Acubiz, a fintech company that offers solutions for optimization of expense management processes and related administrative tasks, with drafting of various data protection documents, including a new data processing agreement template relating to the client’s Acubiz EMS solution.
- Representing Helsingør Municipality as its Data Protection Officer (DPO).
The data privacy and personal data department at Skau Reipurth has a unique client base that primarily consists of associations, worker’s unions and other non-corporate entities. The team is adept at handling risk analyses and compliance set-ups and has particular expertise in HR-specific data privacy issues. Mette Vestergaard Huss and Bo Enevold Uhrenfeldt jointly lead the team.
Kemp & Lauritzen A/S
ELF Development A/S
A.P. Møller Maersk
De Danske Bilimportører
Total Upstream Danmark A/S