Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is singled out for its 'excellent legal service' and acts for an impressive array of blue-chip companies including Google. Under the leadership of Jiří Čermák, who also heads the IP practice, the team handles transactional matters for TMT and IT sector clients and is skilled in handling high-value cross-border mandates. Dual Czech and Slovak qualified senior associate Kristína Bartošková advises clients across the information technology and IP space, specialising in white-collar criminal law and Samuel Král advises on cyber security measures. The group also has expertise in data protection issues and complex licensing work.
TMT in Czech Republic
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář
Other key lawyers:
Kristína Bartošková; Samuel Král
‘We work with BM when it comes to more complex or legally sophisticated issues as we highly value their professionalism, practical approach, understanding of our business, and excellent legal expertise.’
ČEZ ICT Services
Fox International Channels / Fox Entertainment
KBC Bank / Československá obchodní banka
Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Conducted a full audit for ČEZ / ČEZ ICT Services of software licences and rights to Mosek and Plexos software.
- Advisory various client on the use of e-signatures and e-contracting in general, mostly in relation to the Covid-19 lockdown.
- Advising Google on its platform business (YouTube etc.) relating to AVMS and VoD regulatory and liability issues.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář is widely considered one of the market leaders in the telecoms area, and is renowned for acting for sector-leading companies. Practice head Vojtěch Chloupek leads the full-service group which advises on cybersecurity, cryptocurrency, and artificial intelligence issues for an array of IT clients. Senior associate Andrea Jarolímková is the name to note for data protection matters and handles contentious and non-contentious work. The team has a cross-over with its IP practice and offers clients an integrated service.
Other key lawyers:
Ataccama Software, s.r.o.
- Advising Sazka on negotiations for the provision of major gaming system.
CMS has an excellent market reputation and advises local and international clients on transactions across the CEE region. Practice head Tomáš Matějovsky also heads the regulatory group and is the key name alongside London-based Chris Watson; the duo handle a considerable amount of cross-border matters for tech giants. In a representative matter, the team is acting in a high-stakes litigation case for Vodafone. Managing partner Helen Rodwell leads on corporate mandates and associate Daniel Szpyrc is noted for privacy and data protection law. Jan Ježek is also a core member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Watson; Helen Rodwell; Daniel Szpyrc; Jan Ježek
Siemens s.r.o. and its insurers
Yolt Services, M7 Group, and UPC DTH
Česká Asociace Satelitních Operátorů z.s.
- Advised Liberty Global on the Czech, Hungarian and Romanian aspects of Vodafone’s acquisition of Liberty Global’s European assets.
- Acting for Siemens (Czech Republic) and its insurers in major multimillion-euro damage claims regarding the delivery and use of faulty electrical devices.
- Representing Vodafone in the first stand-alone competition dispute with a competitor regarding margin squeeze with respect to the provision and access to broadband xDSL internet.
Pierstone s.r.o., advokátní kancelár has a top-tier technology practice and is skilled in handling high-end mandates, both locally and regionally for an impressive roster of clients which includes Microsoft. The team is renowned for its work for telecoms companies and handles a wide range of corporate cross-border transactions. Jana Pattynová heads the practice together with Lenka Suchánková, who is noted for her expertise across IP and privacy law. Tomas Schollaert, who divides his time between the firm's Brussels and Prague offices, handles contentious matters and has appeared before all levels of the court including the European Commission; he is the key contact facilitating cross-border work across the CEE region and beyond. The group is also proficient in regulatory advice. At the associate level, Dominik Vítek is highlighted for his cybersecurity experience.
Jana Pattynová; Lenka Suchánková; Tomas Schollaert
Other key lawyers:
‘Professional approach, availability, willingness to adapt to our requirements, positive and friendly approach.’
‘Partners deal with the matters personally, have enormous amount of knowledge and experience and are easy to reach.’
‘They are top-notch experts in their field with a feeling for client’s business. I cannot praise them enough.’
Czech Telecommunications Office
SimpleCell Networks (Sigfox distributor)
Independent Compliance Monitoring and Audit for Volkswagen Group
- Acting as Microsoft’s regional counsel for Central and Eastern Europe on matters pertaining to compliance of Microsoft Online Services (Office 365 and Microsoft Azure) with the GDPR.
- Assisting Skype with its operations in the Czech Republic.
- Advising T-Mobile on a joint venture business with large mobile operators in CEE.
ROWAN LEGAL's preeminent TMT practice remains the firm of choice for large IT sector clients, and is overseen by highly rated practitioners Josef Donát and Michal Nulíček. The group has a thriving data protection sub-group embedded within the practice which handles cybersecurity matters, GDPR, and regulatory work. Experienced senior associate Bohuslav Lichnovský is the name for litigation mandates for IT companies and heads the contracts group at the firm. Over in the Brno office, Jan Tomíšek is the key contact for day-to-day privacy advisory work.
Josef Donát; Michal Nulíček
Other key lawyers:
Jan Tomíšek; Bohuslav Lichnovský
‘Jan Tomisek is exceptionally responsive and dedicated. His English is superb and his advice thorough but pragmatic.’
Česká bankovní asociace (Czech Banking Association)
VIG Group – Kooperativa pojišťovna, Česká podnikatelská pojišťovna, Kapitol
Czech Banking Credit Bureau (owned by Česká spořitelna, ČSOB, Komerční banka, Unicredit, Moneta Banka)
MALL Group a.s.
Heureka Group a.s.
CGI IT Czech Republic s.r.o.
CISCO SYSTEMS (Czech Republic) s.r.o.
SAP ČR, spol. s r.o.
NVision Czech Republic a.s.
ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab s.r.o.
Českomoravská záruční a rozvojová banka, a.s.
TRASK SOLUTIONS a.s.
Severočeská vodárenská společnost a.s., Severočeské vodovody a kanalizace, a.s.
Ministerstvo práce a sociálních věcí
Hlavní město Praha
Statutární město Brno
Dopravní podnik hl. m. Prahy
Státní ústav pro kontrolu léčiv
Česká pošta, s.p.
Ministerstvo pro místní rozvoj
- Advised the Czech Banking Association and drafted legislation for the banking identity project.
- Advised Česká pošta on a complete outsourcing of its ICT realised in the form of a public tender.
- Provided Škoda Auto DigiLab s.r.o. with support on negotiations and drafting of the documentation for innovative car sharing platform, platform for trunk delivery and platform for charging of e-vehicles.
White & Case, s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is skilled in undertaking high-end cross-border transactions for TMT clients across the CEE region and beyond. Overseen by Jan Andruško, the practice offers an integrated service covering tax expertise, litigation, and corporate advisory work. Also in the team is Jan Jakoubek who is the recommended contact for complex M&A work.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy has a strong track record advising leading market players on all aspects of TMT work, particularly on transactional matters. Corporate partner Prokop Verner leads the team, which has a specialism in data protection and privacy issues; Ondrej Kramolis is the key contact here. Also in the team is Jakub Cech, who has IP expertise and is recommended for GDPR work for tech companies. The team regularly works cross-border with its teams across Europe.
Other key lawyers:
Ondrej Kramolis; Jakub Cech
‘I used to work with GDPR expert at A&O and I was very satisfied with deep knowledge in this area. When I needed legal advice and documents for end user-facing agreements, A&O was able to assign another expert in this area who fully focused on understanding my needs and set the team to build necessary documentation and advice.’
‘Previously I worked with Ondrej Kramolis, the data privacy expert, and now having the experience with Jakub Cech. It is important to mention, that my company has a business model based on GDPR, so it did not only do compliance satisfaction but get deeper into my companys business and tailor the solution for that. And it is exactly the case where A&O stands out from competitors which sometimes blindly work with templates. Jakub Cech nails the legal issue with a full understanding of the context.’
ŠKODA AUTO DigiLab
datari (formerly Aura Privacy)
Motion Picture Association
W.A.G. payment solutions
- Advised Škoda Auto DigiLab on establishment of a contractual agreement with Israeli start-up Chakratec on installing ultra-fast e-cars mechanical chargers in the Czech Republic.
- Advised the management of Memsource on the sale of its majority stake to global investment firm Carlyle Group.
- Advised W.A.G. Payment solutions, integrated on-road mobility service provider in Europe, on the envisaged acquisition of a shareholding in an unidentified Czech company.
CERHA HEMPEL Kališ & Partners has a focus on advising local and foreign clients on all aspects of data protection matters, and also has a strong IP focus. Jointly led by Martin Kartner and the 'efficient and practice-oriented' David Kučera, the group handles regulatory matters for clients in the new technology and media sectors, including social networks and can leverage its Austrian base for cross-border work.
Martin Kartner; David Kučera
‘All the CERHA HEMPEL lawyers are very communicative and always ready to help. We also appreciate their in-depth knowledge of multiple areas of law.
‘David works very efficiently and practice orientated, with a clear view what has to be done at different stages of the mandate.’
Telio Management Gmbh
Tchibo Praha, spol. s r.o.
AR Metallizing N.V.
McDonald’s ČR spol. s.r.o.
Next Kraftwerke GmbH
Flughafen Wien AG
BRP Bizzozero & Partners SA
- Advised Telio Management GmbH on various regulatory and data protection matters.
- Advised Tchibo on all aspects of its marketing campaign, including the drafting and revision of contracts with marketing agencies.
- Advised Office Depot on complex issues relating to IT solutions, including software licences and hardware purchases.
Feichtinger Žídek Fyrbach advokáti s.r.o.
Housed in Brno, specialist boutique practice Feichtinger Žídek Fyrbach advokáti s.r.o. fields a team of 'excellent lawyers' and has a strong track record acting for IT corporations, start-ups, and tech companies. Experienced practitioner Petr Žídek leads the team and handles cross-border acquisitions for IT clients and advises on complex foreign investment deals. Jakub Zvolanek is also a key member of the group and is recommended for tenders for IT services.
Other key lawyers:
Jakub Zvolanek; David Fyrbach; Jakub Stransky; Dominika Motkova
‘We liked the way the lawyers combined the knowledge of IT and financial law, e.g. in the matter of electronic signing of documents obligatory under financial regulation. The legal regulation is pretty tough, but the lawyers were looking for solutions which were working and did not hinder our activities.’
‘We particularly appreciated Petr Zidek who was the team leader.’
‘A very strong technology team who are able to advice on complex IT matters.’
‘David Fyrbach – a very smart lawyer, very capable, with the unique ability to produce novel solutions. Jakub Stransky – a very capable lawyer, particularly in the field of procurement and IT contracting.’
‘We have been mainly using the legal company for advice and help in Public Tenders and Business law issues. They are always very professional and reliable. Sometimes we struggle with very tight schedules, but it was never a problem for Feichtinger.’
‘Petr Zidek and his team work with us both on larger projects and on a daily basis. I like that they are always able to advise us immediately on the call or they usually come up with the answer by the next day.’
‘We usually work with Petr Zidek, Jakub Zvolanek and Dominika Motkova. In my opinion, they are all excellent lawyers.’
Konica Minolta IT Solutions Czech a.s.
Kentico software s.r.o.
Saab Dynamics AB
SONET, společnost s.r.o.
Infinity Energy, s.r.o.
XCENTER DIGITAL, s.r.o.
- Legal support of Konica Minolta IT Solutions Czech in connection with the supply, maintenance and support of large CRM and ERP systems.
- Preparing model contracts for new IT products of Kentico, one of the world’s major providers of internet marketing solutions.
- Acting for Aura in public procurement procedures in several European and non-European jurisdictions.
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law has a strong TMT practice that advises an impressive roster of international clients on matters pertaining to data protection and corporate transactions. The group is jointly led by Robert Nešpůrek, Jan Diblik and Štěpán Štarha (who splits his time between Brno and Bratislava) and has considerable litigation expertise. The team combines IP/IT knowledge in its service offering.
Kinstellar's strong practice is known for its handling of large multinational transactional mandates for local and international clients operating in the TMT sector. The team is able to handle significant cross-border matters, leveraging its wider CEE network, and is led by Zdeněk Kučera. The group is active in M&A work, where corporate partner Jan Juroška is the key contact, as well as high-value litigation. Petra Ledvinková who joined from Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is experienced in TMT litigations and is recommended for arbitration proceedings. At the associate level, Štěpánka Havlíková is the key name for German-speaking clients and advises on data protection matters. The team is a popular choice for international referrals and is increasing alliances across the Baltics to further expand its reach.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Juroška; Petra Ledvinková; Štěpánka Havlíková
European GNSS Agency
ČEPS (grid operator)
- Advising Canal+ Group on its acquisition of M7 Group, one of the largest independent pay-TV operators in Europe, operating in Benelux, Germany, and Central Europe.
- Advising Thermo Fisher on various data protection matters, including a privacy review in connection with the implementation of new technologies.
- Advising Kiwi.com on database law, copyright and commercial law.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář acts for an array of tech giants and blue-chip companies. Overseen by Hana Gawlasová, who has over two decades of expertise in telecoms and data protection, the team handles cybersecurity matters and retains its niche in blockchain services. Petra Věžníková specialises in AI and information technology law and Jaroslav Tajbr is the key name for contentious data protection and IP matters. The team works closely with its European network including London and Brussels on complex cross-border mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Petra Věžníková; Jaroslav Tajbr
‘The team has extensive knowledge of the topic and enough practical experience to prepare a customized solutions for the clients. They are very friendly to deal with and passionate about their work. They are very responsive.’
Inmarsat Ventures Limited
RWS Moravia IT
Asociace provozovatelů mobilních sítí (Czech mobile operators association)
Infor Global Solutions
AZD PRAHA s.r.o.
WPP 2005 Limited
- Advised Inmarsat, as part of a multi-office team, on obtaining and defending the necessary regulatory permits to launch the first-ever European Aviation Network.
- Advising Czech Mobile Operators Association on communications regulatory issues in connection with the Czech 5G auction.
- Advising Infor Global Solutions on software licensing and localisation issues regarding software and software as a service.
At Weinhold Legal, the TMT practice is noted for its 'superior experience' and handles a plethora of matters for local and regional media sector clients. Martin Lukáš leads the group and has 'excellent' expertise in IP and IT law, particularly contentious work. The team has strong transactional capability and also has experience advising clients on data protection issues.
‘Great knowledge of the IT and software development context, trademarks and GDPR/Privacy.’
‘Martin Lukas and his team are excellent. We consider them part of our own team.’
‘Martin Lukas – experienced lawyer with strong business overview, capable of providing advice beyond the law including finance and business.’
‘Our Weinhold legal impression: Personal attitude, focus on detail, professional services.’
‘Mr. Martin Lukas is always helpful and open to arranging meetings ASAP. If needed he was able to arrange meeting with other professionals relevant to our request.’
‘The legal team is quick to respond to all our legal inquiries. Their knowledge of our industry has been greatly appreciated. ’
‘We deal directly with Martin Lucas. His attention to detail and follow up is exemplary. Their knowledge of our industry is key to problem solving.’
- Advising Sighttex on the registration of trade mark and patents and other IP features.
- Advised Audemars Piguet (Marketing) on its acquisition of a boutique in Prague, in particular concerning data protection and IP.
- Advising Breadway on a patent registration.
act Randa Havel Legal advises IT and TMT sector clients on data protection matters and IP issues, jointly led by Tomáš Rydvan who specialises in private and public tendering documentation, and Matyáš Kužela. Martin Řanda advises information technology clients and focuses on work in the advertising and entertainment fields. The group's office in Pilsen provides a wider regional reach.
Tomáš Rydvan; Matyáš Kužela
Other key lawyers:
Advertising ONE, a.s.
KYOCERA Document Solutions Czech, s.r.o.
Intelligent Markets, a.s.
MyQ, spol. s r.o.
The Capital City of Prague
Orkla Foods Česko a Slovensko a.s.
- Representing Rencar, a member of JCDecaux in multiple court disputes with its major business partner, Prague Transportation Company, the urban mass transit operator in the Prague area.
- Providing legal services to the IT department of the Capital City of Prague, which administers purchases of IT services for the entire city of Prague.
- Advising Slovanet on its business activities in the electronic communications sector.
BBH, advokátní kancelár, s.r.o. is noted for its 'in-depth knowledge and vast experience' and acts for leading telecoms companies and large domestic banks on transactional and litigation matters. Petr Přecechtěl heads the practice, which also handles regulatory work and advises clients on demergers and competition matters. Jana Volková represents telecoms clients in contentious work and counts O2 Czech Republic as a key client.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team lead by Petr Precechtel has in-depth knowledge and vast experience – this is extremely helpful especially in cases where we need to brainstorm options. In such cases, Petr Precechtel is usually able to provide extremely helpful guidance straight away and help us find the right solution or best option. This makes the legal service cost and time-efficient.’
‘Petr Precechtel’s in-depth knowledge of the applicable law, vast experience in the area, and business-oriented approach are quite unmatched on the market.’
Air Bank a.s.
Česká Exportní Banka (Czech Export Bank)
Česká Národní Banka (Czech National bank)
Česká pošta, s.p. (Czech Post)
Česká televise (Czech TV)
ČEZ and its subsidiaries
EP Energy a.s.
Kaprain Investment group
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
PPF Group (including PPF banka and Home Credit)
SAZKA, sázková kancelář, a.s.
- Defending O2 Czech Republic in various court and other proceedings related to a claim for approx. €375m, and the related PR, commercial and other strategies.
- Representing O2 Czech Republic in proceedings concerning an action by Volný concerning alleged abuse of a dominant position on the broadband internet market.
- Representing O2 Czech Republic in the administrative proceedings led against the client by the Czech Antimonopoly Office.
bpv Braun Partners s.r.o. provides an 'excellent service' and is active in data protection and licensing matters. Led by Pavel Vincík, the group handles a large volume of GDPR work for clients and also has litigation experience. Arthur Braun specialises in e-commerce matters and is noted for IP/IT matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides excellent service in all legal areas for the Czech Republic, and Arthur Braun knows what German clients and colleagues expect.’
‘Arthur Braun: founder of the firm, excellent networker who gives at all times timely responses.’
- Advising, on a pro bono basis, Wikimedia on all relevant matters concerning Czech Wikipedia but also EU regulations regarding IP law.
- Conducted a GDPR audit of Hornbach’s business activities in order to analyse the current state of data protection.
Glatzová & Co., s.r.o. is a key name for clients in the automotive and telecoms sectors for cybersecurity and GDPR matters. Counsel and practice head Jindřich Jelínek advises on IP matters including licensing and data protection issues. The team is also made up of Michael Mráček and Jan Peřinka.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Mráček; Jan Peřinka
FORD MOTOR COMPANY
JAGUAR LANDROVER AUSTRIA
Mazda Motor Logistic Europe
DRFG, a. s.
- Advised Ford Motor Company on implementing GDPR, including localisation of GDPR-related documentation for clients of the brand and documentation used by the distribution network.
- Advised DRFG on analysing its compliance with GDPR and amending its client documentation.
- Advised Ericsson on cyber security regulations, local regulations of cyber security and communications and related regulatory bodies.
At Kocián Šolc Balaštík, the team is noted for its 'excellent market view' and handles key transactions and regulatory advice for tech and communications clients. Led by Drahomír Tomašuk, the group has experience in data protection work and acts for both local and international companies across the media sector. Head of the disputes team; Pavel Dejl is the key contact for high-value litigation matters and proceedings before the Czech competition authority. The team also has an office in Ostrava and is well placed to act for clients operating in the region.
Other key lawyers:
Drahomír Tomašuk; Pavel Dejl; Jaroslav Zahradnicek
‘Strengths and key capabilities are experience and knowledge, reliability.’
‘High level of knowledge and skills, experience, reliability.’
‘Excellent expertise in all telecommunications law issues, excellent market overview, very responsive’
‘Jaroslav Zahradnicek, great to work with, very responsive, excellent work ’
O2 Czech Republic
Czech Media Invest
European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency (GSA)
Blackstone and Phoenix Tower International
- Advised O2 Czech Republic on a new financing facility jointly arranged by several banks which will be used as a prepayment of the existing loan and for general corporate purposes.
- Representing Czech Media Invest and Rockaway Capital SE in merger clearance proceedings before the European Commission.
- Advising Deutsche Telekom on the Czech legal regulations relating to electronic communications, data protection, cybersecurity, and lawful interception.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS' group, which is noted for its niche TMT practice as it relates to the sports sector, is led by litigation expert Hynek Peroutka and Zdenek Beranek. The group maintains its sector strength across the sport, media, and gaming sectors and handles a steady stream of transactional mandates. Data protection services advice is provided by Adela Krbcova. The group is noted for its CEE reach and works closely with other offices in its network.
Hynek Peroutka; Zdenek Beranek
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is strong in TMT matters including specifically sport-related TMT matters. We handle with the firm all sponsorship agreements, licensing matters, and trademark issues.’
‘We work mainly with Mr. Zdenek Beranek, partner of the firm, a very knowledgeable lawyer who knows our business and sporting industry for many many years. He is a business-oriented lawyer who is able to think “out of the box” and take into account also related tax matters.’
business_link, sp. z o.o. and BL SVP Czech s.r.o. (Skanska Group)
Emergency Technology Inc.
FC Viktoria Plzeň
MAPA SPONTEX CE
- Represented Mapa Spotex CE in proceedings before Czech courts and the Czech Patent Office.
- Represented Express Deli in a dispute with a global retail company over an infringement of the client’s trade marks in several European countries.
- Advised FC Viktoria Plzeň on various IP and TMT matters.
The practice at PRK Partners handles transactional mandates and advises on regulatory matters for clients operating across the technology and media sectors. Michal Matějka leads the team and advises on regulatory and privacy law and Radan Kubr provides additional support on dispute resolution matters. The group is also experienced in cybersecurity matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘PRK Partners provide comprehensive legal advice in all areas of TMT law. They regularly work for us on data protection, IT contracts and licensing matters. They always provide solid and well-thought-out advice that suits our commercial needs. As we have long term relationship with PRK Partners they already know our company very well and therefore are able to understand the commercial background of legal issues we are facing. ’
‘We regularly work with Michal Matejka, who is the partner responsible for IT and TMT work at PRK Partners. He is an experienced professional always confidently guiding us through even the most complicated legal issues while maintaining business focus and perspective.’
‘The team combined legal expertise with technology competence, i.e. being able to deliver legal knowledge within our IT solution, so enabling us to automate specific processes. They quickly adopted our technology which was crucial for the implementation of the project.’
‘Willingness to adopt new ways of working, adopting new technologies to provide legal service in an online and remote way.’
BONDUELLE, spol. s r.o.
Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s.
Hub Innovation s.r.o.
SCS Software s.r.o.
Sogecap (Société Générale Group)
Svaz průmyslu a dopravy České republiky
TV Nova s.r.o.
UNION HOTELERA BARCELO, S.L.
Wolters Kluwer ČR, a.s.
Masaryk University Brno, Technical University Brno – Cybersecurity Assessment Body
Masaryk University Brno, Technical University Brno under the auspices of Czech Ministry of Justice and Municipal Court in Prague
ZOOM International a.s.
Czech Bar Association
Meopta – optika, s.r.o.
BENU Česká republika a.s.
ICCI – International Cannabis and Cannabinoids Institute s.r.o.
- Advising SCS Software on the licensing of real-life objects in its computer games as well as drafting and negotiating contracts with suppliers of IT services.
- Acting for two Czech universities on a landmark online dispute resolution (ODR) project in the Czech Republic, which has the intention of creating a pilot ODR platform in Czechia on which future full-fledged ODR systems will be based.
- Assisting Newps.CZ in a significant innovative cross-border project of digitalisation of the public sector agenda in Eastern Europe.
Skils s.r.o. advokátní kancelář
Overseen by Karel Muzikář, Skils s.r.o. advokátní kancelář handles a range of mid-to-high-value matters for clients operating in the telecoms and financial services sectors. Martin Kramar is a key contact on the corporate side and Karolína Horáková focuses on dispute resolution, particularly contentious matters with a competition law nexus.