TMT in Czech Republic
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is renowned for its technology practice and counts an impressive array of blue-chip companies as clients. Jiří Čermák, who also heads the IP practice, is the key name to note for advising on complex licensing and outsourcing matters. The team also has experience handling high-value and cross-border mandates and advising on data protection. Tomáš Skoumal and senior associate Kristína Bartošková are also key members of the team.
Fox International Channels / Fox Entertainment
KBC Bank / Československá obchodní banka
Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Advising SCS Software on IT licensing and strategy, including software development contracts.
- Advising Thomson Reuters on telecoms regulation, in particular the regulatory implications of rolling out new ways to deliver financial data products.
- Advising MasterCard on all aspects of data protection and the outsourcing of data-processing services in the banking industry.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář is recognised as a market leader in the telecoms space, bolstered by its global network. Led by Vojtěch Chloupek, the team advises leading companies on traditional TMT matters, as well as innovative cybersecurity, crypto-currency, and artificial intelligence issues. The team includes Andrea Jarolímková, who handles data protection, and Jiří Malý, who focuses on IP matters in the sector.
Ataccama Software, s.r.o.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Czech Republic
Ernst & Young, s.r.o.
Dramedy Productions s.r.o.
- Advising Ataccama Software on customer contracts and GDPR.
- Advising Ernst & Young on software licensing and related matters, including the amendment of a software development agreement.
- Represented Dramedy Productions in a dispute with NETservis regarding a custom-designed website for a famous Czech TV series.
CMS advises local and international clients on TMT projects and transactions, under the leadership of Tomáš Matějovsky. The team undertakes cross-border matters, often with the support of Chris Watson, head of the TMT group in London, and managing partner Helen Rodwell, the key name to note in the corporate practice. The team has been bolstered by the arrival of associate Daniel Szpyrc, who joined from KPMG Legal Czech Republic and brings years of experience in commercial and regulatory issues to the team, particularly his knowledge on privacy law.
Shareholders in Kiwi
Siemens s.r.o. and its insurers
Československá obchodní banka a.s.
Česká Asociace Satelitních Operátorů z.s.
- Advised Liberty Global, the world’s largest international cable business, on the Czech, Hungarian and Romanian aspects of Vodafone’s acquisition of Liberty Global’s European assets.
- Advised the shareholders of Kiwi.com on the sale of a majority stake in the company to General Atlantic.
- Acting for Siemens Czech Republic and its insurers in a major multimillion-euro damage claim regarding the delivery and use of faulty electrical devices.
Pierstone s.r.o., advokátní kancelár is noted for its 'exceptional' services and remains a pre-eminent firm in the technology space, handling both local and regional matters. The team acts for an impressive range of leading companies and has experience advising on regulatory issues. The practice is led by Jana Pattynová, who counts Microsoft as a client and also acts for a number of financial institutions; Lenka Suchánková, who has 'unparalleled knowledge of law and the industry' and is recommended for her expertise in both IP and IT; and Tomas Schollaert, who is the name to note for cross-border M&A in the TMT sector and divides his time between Prague and Brussels. Štefan Kráľ and Dominik Vítek are standout associates.
Jana Pattynová; Lenka Suchánková; Tomas Schollaert
‘The Pierstone TMT team is exceptional. We use legal advisers throughout the world and Pierstone is one of our two best teams. They provide consistently high-quality, highly ethical yet practical, cost-effective and timely advice.’
‘Extensive and deep knowledge of the law and understanding of the client’s business. Excellent response rate, useful, to-the-point advice and great value for money. I am so glad to have Pierstone on my panel.’
‘Štefan Kráľ is a rising star – his level of knowledge is hard to beat.‘
‘Dominik Vítek is an expert in his field, a professional with the knowledge of a professor and the approach of a hands-on manager.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Czech Telecommunication Office
SimpleCell Networks (Sigfox distributor)
Czech School of Economics – xPort
Barclays Bank Plc
- Advising Microsoft on strategic projects throughout Central and Eastern Europe and on major public sector projects worldwide.
- Assisting Skype with its operations in the Czech Republic, including advising on commercial projects and integration within the Microsoft group.
- Advising the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on the legal and regulatory framework for electronic communications in the Republic of Georgia and its compatibility with EU law and practice.
'One of the best firms in the area of TMT law', ROWAN LEGAL predominantly acts for clients in the IT sector. The firm has a large data protection practice integrated within the TMT team, covering privacy law and audits. Josef Donát and Michal Nulíček, who is recommended for data protection law and noted for his 'business-minded approach', head the practice. The team also handles litigation in the sector. Bohuslav Lichnovský remains a key contact, particularly for his GDPR expertise.
Josef Donát; Michal Nulíček
‘Rowan Legal have the largest TMT team on the Czech market. They provide excellent services, clear and comprehensible advice, and are flexible and available even at very short notice. They have deep knowledge of the law and wide-ranging experience and provide advice focused on practical recommendations, combining the legal, technical and business perspectives. They are one step ahead compared to other law firms in terms of identifying new technologies and regulations.’
‘They have an out-of-the-box way of thinking, deep knowledge of the law and a flexible approach.‘
‘Bohuslav Lichnovský is professional, hardworking, knowledgeable, and a good partner.’
‘Michal Nulíček is one of the biggest experts on TMT and data protection in the Czech market. He is a pleasure to work with, provides clear, concise, practical advice and finds innovative solutions to our problems. He is very flexible and always there for us when needed.’
VIG Group – Kooperativa pojišťovna, Česká podnikatelská pojišťovna, Pojišťovna České spořitelny
Česká bankovní asociace (Czech Banking Association)
CBCB (Česká spořitelna, ČSOB, Komerční banka, Unicredit, Moneta Banka)
DP DHL (DHL ITS, PPL, DHL Express)
Rockaway Capital SE
MALL Group a.s.
Heureka Shopping s.r.o.
Cisco Systems (Czech Republic) s.r.o.
SAP ČR, spol. s r.o.
NVision Czech Republic a.s. (MTS Group)
Škoda Auto DigiLab s.r.o.
Česká asociace pojišťoven (Czech Insurance Association)
Českomoravská záruční a rozvojová banka, a.s.
Equa bank a.s.
Trask Solutions a.s.
Demokracie 2.1 s.r.o.
Gordic spol. s.r.o.
Severočeská vodárenská společnost a.s., Severočeské vodovody a kanalizace, a.s. 3
Ministerstvo práce a sociálních věcí (Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs)
Hlavní město Praha (The City of Prague)
MyWAC Technologies s.r.o.
Státní ústav pro kontrolu léčiv
Komora daňových poradců (Czech Chamber of Tax Advisors)
- Advising CBCB – Czech Credit Banking Bureau on compliance and the renegotiation of robust contractual relationships between Česká spořitelna, ČSOB, Komerční banka, Unicredit and Moneta Money Bank to participate in the exchange of relevant debtors’ data.
- Advising Czech subsidiaries of Deutsche Post DHL Group on GDPR implementation projects and ongoing data protection support.
- Advising Mall Group on the data protection aspects of the launch of Mall TV, including data-driven advertising platforms and the delivery of personalised content.
White & Case (Europe) LLP excels at handling big-ticket cross-border transactions for leading regional companies in the telecoms sector. Led by Jan Andruško, who also leads the firm's wider CEE group, the team has a cross-practice approach, drawing on its M&A and insolvency expertise. Jan Jakoubek is the contact for complex M&A matters, especially within the media sector.
Mid Europa Partners
Y Soft Corporation
- Advised PPF Group on its €2.8bn acquisition of Telenor’s telecoms assets in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Advising Avast on its strategic projects globally, including advising on its $816.6m IPO in 2018.
- Advised IFS, the Sweden-based enterprise software provider, on the sale of its original equipment manufacturer subsidiaries in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy's 'very professional team' advises TMT sector clients on a wide range of matters, particularly M&A transactions. Prokop Verner leads the team, and Ondrej Kramolis is described as the 'best expert' in GDPR and data protection matters, and regularly handles cross-border work.
Škoda Auto DigiLab
Motion Picture Association
- Advised MTG Broadcasting on its €185m disposal of its 95% shareholding in Nova Broadcasting Group in Bulgaria to Advance Media Group.
- Advising Aura Privacy, a Czech technology start-up, on the launch of its data management application.
- Advising Škoda Auto DigiLab, an innovation hub, on Škoda’s connected cars and smart cities technology projects.
C.H. Kališ & Partners s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is active advising a variety of local and regional clients on data protection and GDPR matters. Jointly led by Martin Kartner and David Kučera, the TMT practice, which combines IP and IT expertise, is equipped to handle cross-border work through its co-operation with the firm's Austria office.
Martin Kartner; David Kučera
SES Spar European Shopping Centers GmbH (Project Europark)
Next Kraftwerke GmbH
Telio Management GmbH
XIXOIO (previously Veezzo)
Residual Property Management of Prague
Hervis Sport a móda s.r.o.
Tchibo Praha, spol. s r.o.
Flughafen Wien AG
BRP Bizzozero & Partners SA
ProSpon, spol. s r.o.
- Advising the Czech branch of Hewlett-Packard on GDPR implementation and other matters.
- Advising Medin on several TMT matters.
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law has a strong roster of clients which it advises on a wide range of TMT matters, including licensing, advertising and contracts. Key partner and data protection expert Robert Nešpůrek oversees the practice alongside Jan Diblik and Štěpán Štarha, who splits his time between Brno and Bratislava and specialises in IT and IP law. The practice is skilled in handling transactional mandates and dispute resolution in the TMT sector.
Robert Nešpůrek; Jan Diblik; Štěpán Štarha
China Telecom (Europe) Limited
Czech-Moravian Building Bank – KBC Group (Ceskomoravska stavebni sporitelna)
Czech Post (Ceska posta)
Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic
Prague, capital of the Czech Republic
Stock Spirits Group
ŠkoFIN (Volkswagen Financial Services)
Mind Forge Group
Ultimum Technologies s.r.o.
- Advising Czech Post on negotiating and drafting a contract for a data box information system between the client and the Ministry of the Interior.
- Representing M7 Group in a dispute regarding an alleged breach of broadcasting rights in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Advising Hyundai Motor Czech on Czech media and advertising legislation.
Kinstellar's multi-disciplinary team advises local and international clients on significant transactions in the TMT sector. The team has considerable cross-border experience, particularly in M&A; Karla Rundtová and Jan Juroška are the experts in this area. The group is also active in telecoms litigation, as well as advising on data protection. Practice head Zdeněk Kučera is noted for being 'very proactive in his way of handling everything'. Štěpánka Havlíková, who joined from Noerr s.r.o., focuses on data protection matters and assisting German clients.
‘Kinstellar has impressive knowledge and longstanding experience in IT law. We particularly appreciate the comprehensive advice which always comes to us within the required time frame. They really understand our business needs. They offer a comprehensive TMT service that is commercial and solution-oriented when addressing any potential issues.’
‘Zdenek Kucera is an all-rounder who does things practically and straightforwardly. We can highly recommend him due to his pragmatic and speedy advice.’
European GNSS Agency
Ministry of Justice
- Advised Canal+ Group on its acquisition of M7 Group, one of the largest independent pay-TV operators in Europe.
- Advised NN Group on the acquisition and IT infrastructure audit of the Czech life insurance business and the Slovak life and pension insurance businesses of Aegon Group.
- Assisted European e-shop Zalando with consumer law and regulatory issues.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is well known for advising leading companies in the technology and communications sectors. Led by Hana Gawlasová, the team works closely with the Brussels office, offering clients a wider service on telecoms and related IP matters. The group also has a niche speciality in blockchain services and has spearheaded this through its Blockchain Connect initiative. Key team members include managing partner Radek Janecek, associate Petra Věžníková, whose practice includes data protection and cybersecurity, and Jaroslav Tajbr, who has a focus on data protection.
‘SPB are agile and flexible in communication and are capable of providing in-depth analysis of the case.’
‘The whole team is absolutely professional. The selected specialists have absolutely exceptional knowledge and have a keen sense of detail. The client’s priorities are paramount. Loyalty and correctness are also a priority in everyday contact.’
Inmarsat Ventures Limited
Infor Global Solutions
AZD Praha s.r.o.
WPP 2005 Limited
- Advising Zoom International and its spin off Ytica on licensing, IP, open-source software and database rights issues.
- Advising a Slovak technology start-up focused on artificial intelligence on structuring its technology and IP portfolio, forming a number of technology joint ventures and licensing the technology to Singapore and other Asian countries.
- Advised ERC-Tech on negotiations with several potential licensees interested in acquiring the rights to the technology and drafting the respective technology transfers and/or licensing agreements.
Vyskočil, Krošlák a partneři s.r.o., advokátní kancelář
Vyskočil, Krošlák a partneři s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is the name to note for niche media and entertainment matters, regularly advising leading names in the radio, television and music industry. The key individuals in the team are Petr Ostrouchov and František Vyskočil.
Petr Ostrouchov; František Vyskočil
Weinhold Legal's TMT practice is 'on the highest level', and handles a variety of matters for media sector clients. Led by Martin Lukáš, who brings his IP expertise to the practice, the team advises on contentious and transactional matters in the sector. It also has data protection capabilities. Jan Turek is recommended for his expertise in IP and IT issues following M&A transactions.
‘Dalibor Simecek is very knowledgable, with flawless communication and the ability to meet even the tightest deadlines. We have absolute faith in him.’
‘Martin Lukas is a top legal professional, able to offer not only the legal perspective but also economic and financial insight, and perfect communication.’
SZIF (State Agricultural Intervention Fund)
- Acting for SZIF (State Agricultural Intervention Fund) in a public procurement tender in respect of the delivery of a new IT system for agricultural subventions.
BBH, advokátní kancelář, s.r.o. has vast expertise in representing leading telecoms companies in litigation and transactions in the sector. Led by Petr Precechtel, the team includes senior associate Jana Volková and Matej Manderla, who focus on TMT and IP law respectively.
Air Bank a.s.
Česká Exportní Banka (Czech Export Bank)
Česká Národní Banka (Czech National bank)
Česká pošta, s.p. (Czech Post)
Česká televise (Czech TV)
ČEZ and its subsidiaries
EP Energy a.s.
Kaprain Investment group
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
Sazka, sázková kancelář, a.s.
- Defended O2 Czech Republic against claims for €375m brought by Bell Trade.
- Defended O2 Czech Republic against a damages claim based on an alleged margin squeeze brought by Vodafone Czech Republic for over €16m.
- Represented O2 Czech Republic in administration proceedings led by the Czech Antimonopoly Office.
bpv Braun Partners s.r.o. has 'highly specialised lawyers in the field of TMT' and is led by Pavel Vincík. The team advises on GDPR matters, data protection and TMT-related litigation. Managing partner Arthur Braun is recommended for his IP specialisation.
- Advising one of the largest call centres in the Czech Republic.
Feichtinger Žídek Fyrbach advokáti s.r.o.
Feichtinger Žídek Fyrbach advokáti s.r.o. is a boutique law firm offering 'great value for money' and is led by the 'very experienced' Petr Žídek, who is based in Brno. The team handles major restructuring deals for TMT clients and is skilled in the IT space. Senior associate Jakub Zvolanek is also a key member of the team.
‘Petr Zidek is a very experienced IT lawyer who always tries to understand our real needs.’
‘Jakub Zvolanek is a dynamic young lawyer with an amazing knowledge of data protection regulation.’
Kentico software s.r.o.
Konica Minolta IT Solutions Czech a.s.
CDK Global (Česká Republika) s.r.o.
Saab Dynamics AB
Sonet, společnost s.r.o.
EGE spol. s r.o.
Infinity Energy, s.r.o.
IT2u Czech s.r.o.
Kapitol pojišťovací a finanční poradenství, a.s.
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
Video Universe, s.r.o.
- Providing ongoing advice to Kentico Software.
- Advised Aura, a producer of software for military logistics, on its restructuring.
- Advised Unidataz on the implementation of GDPR.
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Landrover Austria
Mazda Motor Logistic Europe
- Advised Ford Motor Company on the implementation of GDPR, including the localisation of GDPR-related documentation for clients of the brand and documentation used by the distribution network.
- Advised FCE Credit in the course of implementing GDPR.
- Advised Jaguar Land Rover Austria on specific regulatory matters.
At Kocián Šolc Balaštík, the team is led by Drahomír Tomašuk and has experience handling regulatory work for a broad spectrum of local and international companies in the telecoms and media industries. The team also advises international companies on market entry and offers a data protection service, for which Jaroslav Zahradníček is the key contact.
Deutsche Telekom AG
Škoda Auto a.s.
European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency (GSA)
- Advising Daimler on telecoms law and GDPR issues relating to onboard telecoms and internet services for cars.
- Advising Deutsche Telekom on the Czech law aspects of electronic communications, data protection, cybersecurity and lawful interception of an electronic communications network.
- Representing Czech Television (Česká televize) in tax proceedings concerning entitlement to a VAT refund.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS has a 'strong legal and commercial background' and handles transactions in the TMT sector. The practice is led by Hynek Peroutka, who is skilled in TMT-related litigation, and Zdenek Beranek, who focuses on media rights. The team is able to handle cross-border work with the support of its office in Slovakia.
Hynek Peroutka; Zdenek Beranek
‘We highly appreciate Zdenek Beranek’s ability to think outside the box.‘
FC Viktoria Plzeň
Altron Business Solutions
Mapa Spontex CE
Institut National de l’Origine et de la Qualité (INAO)
Yadex International GmbH
Subsidiaries of Samlerhuset Group BV in the Czech Republic and Slovakia
Descours & Cabaud
- Advising longstanding client FC Viktoria Plzeň, a Czech professional football club, on GDPR.
- Representing technology company Altron Business Solutions from Altron Group in a dispute over the liabilities of its sub-contractor.
At PRK Partners, Michal Matějka leads the increasingly active TMT practice, which handles large GDPR compliance matters for clients, advises on complex data protection, privacy and corporate law, and transactions in the TMT sector. The team also includes Radan Kubr and specialist Zbyněk Loebl who has a focus on cybersecurity and IP matters.
‘Michal Matejka is a very experienced lawyer specialising in IP, IT and commercial matters. He is very responsive, reliable and business oriented.’
‘Zbyněk Loebl, Michal Matejka and Jan Kohout are very inspirational for our business when they are consulting on innovative aspects of our products and services.’
Masaryk University Brno
TV Nova spol. s r.o. (member of CME Group)
Czech Bar Association
Czech Press Agency
ICCI – International Cannabis and Cannabinoids Institute
Mike Chalfen and the fund Accel
- Advising TV Nova on media law, disputes and intellectual property, as well as GDPR compliance.
- Advised on a number of comprehensive GDPR compliance projects for private as well as public entities in the Czech Republic.
- Advised the current majority owner of Zoom International on a $20m demerger project and subsequent investment into the demerged entity.
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL provides 'exceptional services' to its TMT clients, advising on IP issues in the sector, as well as data protection matters and GDPR. The team is jointly led by Tomáš Rydvan and Matyáš Kužela, both whom are described as 'experts'.
Tomáš Rydvan; Matyáš Kužela
‘Randa Havel is a premier top-level firm. The partners have outstanding capabilities and provide fast responses.‘
‘Flexibility, professional legal advice regarding competition law and the GDPR agenda.‘
‘Tomas Rydvan and Matyáš Kužela are both experts – Matyas in the area of data protection and Tomas in the area of public procurement.’
Advertising One, a.s.
Intelligent Markets, a.s.
MyQ, spol. s r.o.
The Capital City of Prague
- Advising JCDecaux on its operations in the Czech Republic.
- Advising the IT department of the City of Prague, which administers purchases of IT services for the entire city of Prague.
- Advising the owners of Janus, a distributor of Kyocera brand products in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, on the sale of 100% of its shares to Dutch company Kyocera Document Solutions Europe.