Projects and energy in Czech Republic
Dentons has a reputation as a pre-eminent practice in the energy space and is singled out for its 'quick, practical and reliable service'. Led by the highly regarded Petr Zákoucký, the team is skilled at handling significant acquisitions and litigation, particularly with a cross-border element, for clients in the energy and automotive fields. Working alongside the firm's offices in London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt, the team is able to handle cross-border and high-value energy matters. The core team also includes senior counsel Petr Slach, who has considerable experience in M&A and procurement; Jan Procházka, who is recommended for his expertise in the renewable energy sector and in M&A transactions; and associates Michal Pelikán and Barbora Obračajová, who specialise in energy law.
Sev.en Energy group (including Vršanská uhelná, Sev.en EC, and Sev.en Energy AG)
bpd partners (including Draslovka Holding)
Československá obchodní banka (KBC Group)
UniCredit Bank Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Advised prominent Czech industrial player Sev.en Energy on acquisition of a 50% in multinational energy company InterGen from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
- Advised Sev.en Energy on the tender process for the potential acquisition of three lignite power plants.
- Advised EP Infrastructure on the issuance of its inaugural German law-governed €182.5m Schuldschein loan.
Kinstellar has 'excellent expertise' in the projects and energy area, handling a wide range of big-ticket energy mandates led by standout individual Kamil Blažek. The team frequently advises on high-value infrastructure and development projects. The multi-disciplinary team includes competition head Tomáš Čihula and of counsel Karla Rundtová, who focuses on M&A. The team has expertise in real estate and construction matters, and associate Michal Forýtek has a strong energy background.
‘Kinstellar’s projects and PPP team has excellent expertise and does a tremendous job. They are very hardworking with a strong hands-on mentality.’
Goldman Sachs International
Veolia Česká republika, as
Allianz Capital Partners
- Advising Net4Gas and its shareholders on the Capacity4Gas infrastructure project.
- Advised E.ON in connection with the potential acquisition of GasNet, a Czech gas distribution network operator.
- Advising Nexen Tire Corporation (Korea) on the construction of a large industrial manufacturing plant for car tyres and the largest foreign direct investment in the Czech Republic of this decade.
White & Case (Europe) LLP has a first-rate reputation in the projects and energy space and acts for multinational clients in the energy and infrastructure sector. Vít Stehlík leads the team, which has broad expertise in the local market and the wider CEE region, frequently advising on cross-border development matters with the firm's London and Brussels teams. Banking group co-head Jan Linda has project finance experience and advises clients including financial institutions and large corporations on matters in the natural resources sector.
‘The lawyers in the Prague office in the projects and energy practice are extraordinarily client and business orientated and offer great and comprehensive legal services.’
‘Vit Stehlik and Vacalav Zaloudek are particularly client and business orientated. They are very responsive and reliable. Furthermore, they know the needs of in-house legal departments very well and are always searching for the best possible solution.’
Bonatrans Group a.s.
ČEZ Distribuce, a. s.
Energetický a průmyslový holding, a.s.
ECE – Pankrac Shopping Center k.s.
Ministry of Transport of the Czech Republic
Škoda JS a.s.
Sev.en EC, a.s.
Svaz moderní energetiky (Modern Energy Union)
- Advising the Ministry of Transport of the Czech Republic on the country’s first-ever PPP infrastructure/road project.
- Advising ČEZ Distribuce, the largest electricity distribution company in the Czech Republic, on day-to-day corporate and regulatory matters in relation to the applicable Czech and EU legal framework.
At CMS, the team led by Lukáš Janíček advises clients across the energy sector, particularly in the fields of solar and wind power. The group has expertise in M&A transactions in the energy sector and acts on corporate transactions for large investors across the projects and energy space. Lenka Krutáková brings competition expertise to PPP deals, while Lukáš Výmola focuses on regulatory and energy work and is a key contact for German clients.
Mondi Group – Labe Wood
Vinci / Meridiam Investments
- Advised EnerCap, a private equity firm specialising in investments in the renewable sector in CEE and SEE, on the sale of an 18MW wind farm in the Czech Republic and a 42MW wind farm in Croatia to Lithuania’s Achema Group.
- Advising T-Systems International (Deutsche Telekom Group) and a consortium partner on the public tender for the development and operation of an electronic toll system in the Czech Republic.
- Advised the bidders on the PPP project for the design, financing, construction, and operation and maintenance of part of the D4 motorway in the Czech Republic.
Kocián Šolc Balaštík is the name to note for large-scale power and construction projects in the domestic energy market, led by the standout Václav Rovenský. The team advises on a wide range of matters, including project financing. Tomáš Sequens specialises in energy law and is recommended for his expertise in commercial transactions with an energy focus.
Alpiq Generation (CZ)
Green Gas DPB
Union of Chemical Industries
- Advising Alpiq Generation (CZ) on the development, environmental compliance and operation of a power plant in Kladno.
- Advising Lovochemie, a company currently owned by a trust fund created by the Prime Minister of the Czech Republic, on a new chemical project.
- Advising REMA Group companies (including REMA System, REMA PV and REMA Battery) on the operation of recycling systems for special types of waste.
PRK Partners speciality lies in the energy and natural resources sector. The team handles traditional heat and gas matters, and also has expertise in the infrastructure space through its Ostrava office. Jakub Lichnovský is the key contact for large development projects, while Daniel Rosický provides project finance expertise. The practice is also supported by the firm's Bratislava office, with Martin Kriz, who divides his time between Slovakia and the Czech Republic, regularly acting alongside Bratislava-based Miriam Galandová on cross-border mandates.
Cintra Infrastructuras, s.l.
Macguarie Capital Holdings Limited
Asental Land, s.r.o
Organic technology s.r.o.
LinkCity Czech Republic, a.s., member of Bouygues Group
- Advised a consortium of transport infrastructure developers – including Cintra, Porr, Macquarie Corporate Holdings and Aberdeen Infrastructure – on public procurement and a highway development project.
- Advising Asental on a brownfield project to create an industrial zone near Havířov.
- Advising Linkcity Czech Republic on the negotiation of contracts for the development of numerous industrial zones in the Ústí nad Labem region.
Allen & Overy
The projects and energy team at Allen & Overy is led by regional head Dan Cocker, who is based in Warsaw. The multi-disciplinary team, which has banking and finance expertise, is known for its strength in international energy and infrastructure projects coupled with English law capabilities. Jana Maršálková has experience acting on projects in the CEE and SEE regions, and Petra Mysakova is the name to note for project finance matters.
Terminal Investment Limited
KfW IPEX-Bank GmbH and EBRD
Labe Wood s.r.o.
- Acting for Terminal Investment on a new €80m financing for the LKAB Klaipėdos Smeltė terminal in Klaipeda, Lithuania.
- Advising KfW IPEX-Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, as senior lenders, on post-closing matters related to the project financing of a wind farm project in Krnovo, Montenegro.
- Advised Labe Wood, as borrower, on the financing provided by Sberbank CZ for the construction and operation of a sawmill to be built on the premises of Mondi Štětí paper producer in the Czech Republic.
bpv Braun Partners s.r.o.'s projects and energy team is praised for its 'comprehensive support and excellent legal advice'. The practice is jointly led by the highly regarded Marc Müller and David Vosol, and advises a variety of sector clients on electricity, gas and international pipeline projects. Senior associate Michal Fogel is recommended.
Marc Müller; David Vosol
‘The outstanding team from BPV Braun Partners has vast experience, especially in the Czech and European energy sector, combined with excellent economic knowledge and language skills. The whole team was very committed and had a goal-oriented approach to the work, which secured a smooth deal flow even in critical situations.’
‘Marc Müller is an absolute expert in the Czech and German energy sectors, very well connected in the whole business and always up to date. With his vast experience as a lawyer in general, but also in this particular sector, he was the perfect match to conclude our project.’
‘Michal Fogel is truly an expert in the Czech energy sector and had always the right proposal to meet a challenge. Michal’s way of preparing and adjusting all the necessary legal deeds was perfectly managed and highly respected.’
Antaris Solar AG
- Acting for PREměření and other owners of photovoltaic power plants in several high-profile cases dealing with the incorrect implementation of the EU directive on the waste of electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
- Advising Tengelmann Energie on energy contracts with its subsidiaries in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovenia.
- Advising 3fficiency on Czech energy and administrative law in connection with the negotiation and drafting of an agreement on the implementation of energy optimisation measures for a private partner in the Czech Republic to decrease costs.
Clifford Chance handles project finance and litigation for energy clients, with a focus on the development of domestic power plants. The team is led by managing partner Alex Cook; David Koláček; finance practice head Miloš Felgr, who is the key transactional lawyer in the team, regularly leading on high-value and cross-border refinancing matters; and the 'excellent' Emil Holub, who specialises in development projects locally and in the CEE region.
Alex Cook; Emil Holub; Miloš Felgr; David Koláček
Česká spořitelna, a.s.
Enern Investments, a.s.
Vršanská uhelná a.s.
Československá obchodní banka, a.s.
Komerční banka, a.s.
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
- Advising the lenders on the acquisition financing of an energy asset in Turkey.
- Advising Komerční banka on the project financing of a hydropower plant in Brandýs nad Labem for Energo-Pro Group.
- Advising a client on various compliance matters in relation to a potential nuclear project in the Czech Republic.
Glatzová & Co., s.r.o. has 'excellent knowledge' and is noted for its strength in the renewable energy sector. Jointly led by Erik Kolan and newly promoted partner Jan Veselý, the team has expertise in advising leading domestic banks on financing projects and litigation. Senior associate Filip Murár has a focus on energy regulation, particularly in relation to solar power plants.
Erik Kolan; Jan Veselý
‘Partners at Glatzova & Co stand out compared to other firms for their in-depth knowledge of the specific case in question.‘
‘Martin Dancisin is an experienced professional with an extensive commercial, financing and dispute resolution background who we value for his strong drive, big-picture perspective and creative ideas. Martin is a great negotiator and I appreciate him for his business-oriented approach.’
‘Jan Vesely is easy to work with, always able to provide swift and practical advice. He is calm but savvy, and patient but result-oriented. He is a highly committed adviser with particular skills in energy law, dispute resolution and M&A.’
Mondi Štětí a.s.
Erste Group Immorent ČR s.r.o
S.P.T. spol. s r.o.
Solar Černilov s.r.o.
Centropol Energy, a.s.
Komerční banka a.s.
DRFG Energy s.r.o.
- Acted for S.P.T., a Czech processor of dangerous waste, in claim against a gas distribution network operator and supplier for damages for being illegally disconnected from the gas distribution network.
- Acting for Erste Group Immorent ČR, a specialist in real estate financing and project development in the Czech Republic, in a dispute with the lessee over the lease of a photovoltaic power plant.
- Advising Komerční banka on the acquisition financing of a major photovoltaic power plant.
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL has significant experience in the energy space, advising on complex development projects and investments. Practice co-head Jan Havel is the key contact for advice on power engineering and construction projects, while co-head Alois Šatava advises both buyers and sellers on acquisitions in the energy sector. Renewable energy matters frequently feature in the team's workload.
Jan Havel; Alois Šatava
Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation (EGAP)
Doosan Škoda Power s.r.o.
Pražské služby, a.s. (Prague Services in English)
Plzeňská teplárenská, a.s.
G – Team a.s.
Zdroj pitné vody Káraný, a.s.
JUFA Investment Group
PPA Controll a.s.
FCC Group (formerly A.S.A. Group)
- Advising PPA Controll, a leading Slovak power engineering company, on a tender for a contract.
- Advising energy-focused Jufa Investment Group in connection with the restructuring of a part of its business group.
ROWAN LEGAL's 'competent, engaged and fast-acting' energy practice handles a range of mid-to-high value matters across the sector, with a particular focus on the water supply industry. Headed by Vilém Podešva, the team is skilled in public procurement matters. The 'professional and intelligent' Lukáš Sommer is recommended for PPP projects and for advising investors.
‘This practice is unique because of the team’s professional knowledge and experience. They are outstanding in energy projects.’
‘Lukas Sommer is very professional, intelligent and fast and brings results.‘
Severočeská vodárenská společnost a.s. (North Bohemia water supply company)
Statutární město Olomouc (City of Olomouc)
E.ON Česká republika, a.s.
Dopravní podnik Praha (Prague public transit company)
Severočeská vodárenská společnost, a.s. (North Bohemia water supply company)
Vodohospodářské sdružení Turnov (Turnov water supply company)
Vodárna Plzeň (Pilsen water supply company)
Pražská vodohospodářská společnost a.s. (Prague water supply company)
Ministry of Industry and Trade
- Advising the city of Olomouc on the operation of heat supply infrastructure after 2020.
- Advising E.ON Česká republika on a pilot project for the supply of technology for smart meter infrastructure.
- Advising Dopravní podnik Praha (Prague Public Transit Company) on the supply of high-voltage electricity for the transport system of the city of Prague.
Weinhold Legal focuses on the renewable energy sector and is experienced in financing deals. The past year has seen the group advise long-term clients in the transportation sector on development projects. Daniel Weinhold is the key contact, while the wider team includes Martin Lukáš and Ondřej Havránek.
‘We appreciate the friendly and proactive approach and high level of professionalism of this law firm. In many cases they came with new perspectives on the disputed matters and it worked.‘
- Advised Austrian building contractor Porr on agreements for the transfer of all shares in Alpine Bau CZ from PSJ Holdings.
- Advised Obrascón Huarte Lain (OHL) group on the sale of its majority stake in ŽPSV, a Czech supplier of concrete products for the building industry specialising in transport structures.
- Advised Grandi Stazioni on a PPP project which involves the revitalisation of railway stations including Prague’s main station.