Dispute resolution in Czech Republic
Martin Hrodek leads the team at Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář, which handles a wide range of domestic and international matters. Sector strengths for the team include the banking and automotive industries; recent highlights include successfully acting for major Czech bank ČSOB. Thanks to its network of offices in the CEE region, the practice is adept at handling cross-border litigation, as well as international arbitration. The wider team includes senior associate Kristína Bartošková, who handles commercial matters and has expertise in regulatory proceedings.
Československá obchodní banka (ČSOB)
EP Industries a.s.
CTP Invest spol. s r.o.
Czech Export Bank, a.s.
ADM International Sarl
Credit Suisse AG
HDI Versicherung AG
ERB bank, a.s.
Kofola ČeskoSlovensko a.s
- Acting for Česká exportní banka (Czech Export Bank) in the Czech and Hong Kong insolvency proceedings of ECM Real Estate Investments and ECM China Investments.
- Acting for ERB bank in a dispute with Emil Fischer, the insolvency administrator of CGM Czech.
- Representing Credit Suisse in the insolvency proceedings of developer Rezidence Kavčí Hory.
BBH, advokátní kancelář, s.r.o.'s team is regarded as 'excellent' in the dispute resolution field and is headed by the 'very strong' František Honsa. The team is skilled in handling a range of contentious matters for clients spanning the real estate, finance and insolvency sectors. It also has experience in international arbitration. The team includes energy law expert Vladimir Uhde; Robert Klenka, who has a speciality in trade disputes; and Tomáš Politzer has litigation and arbitration experience, particularly in the real estate and insolvency sectors. The team has also appeared before the European Court of Human Rights.
František Honsa; Vladimír Uhde; Robert Klenka
‘Frantisek Honsa is great strategist with deep knowledge of the legal environment which allows him to predict the next steps of our counter-parties. He is not afraid of any challenge. He has our confidence in the most important matters and key disputes.’
‘The team have a brilliant and deep knowledge of Czech and international procedural law with an individual, unprecedented and highly professional approach to every litigation or arbitration matter. Their specialisation, expertise and flexibility is appreciated.‘
‘They are extremely well organised and have a very good understanding of the client’s business. Brilliant communicators.‘
‘Robert Klenka is a high-quality practitioner with understanding of the client’s needs. He is also able to find the appropriate solution and pursues the best result for us.’
AMC Networks International
Compag Mladá Boleslav s.r.o.
Česká pojišťovna a.s.
Česká pošta, s.p. (Czech Post)
Doosan Škoda Power, s.r.o.
Home Credit Group
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s.
PRO.MED.CS Praha a.s.
Safe Diesel s.r.o.
- Defending O2 Czech Republic against claims for €375m brought by Bell Trade over IT contracts.
- Defending Plzeňský Prazdroj against claims of up to €51m brought by a group of alleged shareholders following the brewery’s privatisation.
- Defending O2 Czech Republic against a damages claim for over €16m over an alleged ‘margin squeeze’ brought by Vodafone Czech Republic.
Noted for its 'absolute professionalism', Kinstellar has strength in dispute resolution matters ranging from white-collar crime to insolvency litigation. The team is instructed by a diverse range of clients, including large public bodies and international corporates. Practice head Zdeněk Kučera handles international arbitration and also specialises in settlement negotiations, while managing partner Lukáš Ševčík brings M&A expertise to complex shareholder disputes and Zuzana Valoušková specialises in acting for pharmaceutical clients. Petra Ledvinková joined the team from Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář, bringing more than 15 years of experience in IP-related litigation.
‘Zdeněk Kučera is very responsive and always looking for out-of-the-box solutions.‘
PKP Cargo S.A.
BE Group AB
Moneta Money Bank
- Representing E-Invest in litigation arising out of the insolvency of Vítkovice Power Engineering.
- Advising BE Group, a leading Swedish trading and service company in steel, stainless steel and aluminium active in Scandinavia with operations in Central and Eastern Europe, in connection with the insolvency of its Czech subsidiary.
- Representing OTK Group in disputes.
Kocián Šolc Balaštík has particular skill in banking disputes, acting for leading Czech financial institutions and international clients. The team also has experience in a range of other sectors, with strengths in energy, construction and investment, handling both litigation and arbitration. Pavel Dejl leads the team, which includes Sylvie Sobolová and Hana Dejlová, who are widely recommended for high-profile investment and contractual disputes, and associate Miloslav Petrů, who specialises in international and EU law.
LEO Express, a.s.
O2 Czech Republic a.s.
Česká spořitelna, a.s.
Heineken Česká republika, a.s.
Energo – Pro a.s.
Slot Group, a.s.
Czech Radio Broadcaster
Sberbank CZ, a.s.
UniCredit Bank Czech
Republic and Slovakia, a.s.
PPF Group N.V.
- Representing Heineken ČR in several court proceedings in which the counter-party sought to have set aside arbitral awards whereby the client had been awarded millions of euros.
- Defending PPF A4 in a dispute over whether consideration paid to minority shareholders in a squeeze-out process was adequate.
- Representing Národní divadlo (National Theatre), as the lessor of the premises of the National Theatre, in a dispute with the lessee.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's dispute resolution practice is headed by 'market leader' Rostislav Pekař and handles numerous high-stakes dispute for an impressive client list which includes states. The team acts on large investment arbitration cases and complex commercial litigation in the energy and constructor sectors. The team has a focus on both the international and domestic Czech markets. Vladimír Polách has expertise in class actions and Mária Poláková, who was promoted to the partnership in January 2019, focuses on domestic litigation.
The Ministry of Environment and Energy of the Republic of Croatia
The Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications of the Republic of Estonia
Patria Land Systems Oy
L88 Investments Prague 1 s.r.o.
Republic of Kosovo
Foreign Disputes Department of the State of Libya
Vodafone CZ s.r.o.
- Representing the Republic of Croatia in an ICSID investment arbitration brought by Hungarian energy company MOL over MOL’s and the government of Croatia’s shareholding in INA, the Croatian gas and oil company.
- Successfully represented the Republic of Estonia in an ICSID investment arbitration for over €90m brought by Dutch company United Utilities (Tallinn) and its Estonian subsidiary Tallinna Vesi in relation to the claimants’ investment in a water facilities company in Tallinn.
- Representing the Slovak Republic in pending ICSID annulment proceedings following a victory secured for Slovakia in an investment arbitration for over €200m initiated by US company EuroGas and Canadian company Belmont Resources in relation to allegedly wrongful withdrawal of rights to the talc mining area.
White & Case (Europe) LLP's multi-disciplinary team handles both domestic and high-profile international arbitration, with the support of its wider network of offices in Brussels, London and Paris. Led by the well-regarded Luděk Chvosta, whose expertise lies in white-collar crime, the group is skilled in undertaking sensitive and complex cases for leading clients in the pharmaceutical (where Ivo Janda is the key contact), finance and energy sectors. Samuel Schreiber is recommended for insolvency proceedings.
‘The team’s main strength is its ability to act as a homogeneous organism.’
‘They are professional, accurate, punctual and reliable.’
ArcelorMittal Holdings AG
Česká exportní banka, a.s.
Česká pojišťovna, a.s.
Galileo Real, k.s.
HSBC Bank plc – pobočka Praha
Kofola ČeskoSlovensko a.s.
Komerční banka, a.s.
Plzeňský Prazdroj, a.s.
Sev.en EC, a.s.
Tameh Czech s.r.o.
Zentiva Group a.s.
- Representing Galileo Real in criminal and civil proceedings in connection with a high-profile theft, referred to as the ‘Case of the Stolen CZK Half Billion’.
- Representing Roto Frank in a €2m claim for damages over the managing director’s breach of his duty of care.
- Representing Sev.en EC in a dispute over a contract for work related to the refurbishment of the Chvaletice Power Plant.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy's litigation and arbitration team acts on disputes in a range of areas, with a focus on financial, IP and corporate litigation. Led by Prokop Verner and Robert Pavlů, the team specialises in acting for clients, often multinational companies, in matters relating to bribery and anti-corruption. Markéta Císařová, who is highlighted by peers as 'strong', is the key contact in this area. Otakar Hajek returned to the practice after two years in the arbitration group in the Hong Kong office and is recommended for his handling of commercial arbitration.
Prokop Verner; Robert Pavlů
‘Robert Pavlu is a seasoned expert, pragmatic and communicative.‘
‘The team has strong individual capability in this field and is business oriented.’
Howden ČKD Compressors s.r.o. (Colfax Corporation)
Colfax Corporation’s subsidiary ESAB Vamberk
Credendo Short – Term EU Risks úvěrová pojišťovna a.s.
Citibank Europe Plc, Organizacni Slozka
Baggerwerken Decloedt En Zoon N.V. (BDC)
Czech Export Bank
UniCredit Bank Austria AG and Zagrebačka banka dd
- Representing Howden ČKD Compressors in a dispute related to defects of compressors delivered to the claimant’s power plant in Siberia.
- Representing Credendo as insurer in court proceedings concerning the CZK539m insurance cover provided to Česká spořitelna in connection with unpaid promissory notes issued by Balli Steel.
- Representing UniCredit Bank Austria and Zagrebačka banka in an ICSID claim against the Republic of Croatia in relation to legislation passed by Croatia allowing borrowers unilaterally to convert Swiss franc-linked loans into euro loans at historic exchange rates.
Balcar, Polanský & Spol
Balcar, Polanský & Spol's dispute team has strength in handling bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings for large banking clients. Marek Pilař is the key name to note in the practice, representing leading Czech banks in contentious insolvency matters. Associate Martin Balcar also has litigation and arbitration experience, dealing with corporate and real estate law matters.
Česká spořitelna, a.s.
CDV-1, Ltd., CDV-2, Ltd.
CMS handles a variety of litigation matters and is led by 'standout partner' Tomáš Matějovsky, who has considerable experience representing clients before the courts at all levels. The team's sector strengths include telecoms and real estate where it represents clients on mid-to-high value disputes. Core members of the team include senior associate Petr Beneš and associate Filip Gvozdek. Head of employment Andrea Červenková has expertise in employment-related disputes.
‘Petr Benes and Pavel Drimal are both very talented and committed lawyers with outstanding customer orientation and distinguished legal skills.’
‘The team have very strong analytical skills, give hands-on advice and provide very helpful risk assessments.’
KBA – Grafitec
Klüber Lubrication CZ
Yolt Services, M7 Group, and UPC DTH
Partner in Pet Food
- Represented Fidelity National Financial in the dispute over the validity of the transfer of title of the Radio Free Europe headquarters in Prague.
- Representing Vodafone in a competition dispute with O2 regarding margin squeeze with respect to the provision and access to broadband/xDSL internet.
- Acting for Siemens (Czech Republic) and its insurers in a major multimillion-euro damages claim regarding the delivery and use of faulty electrical devices.
Dentons undertakes a wide scope of complex litigation related to employment, IP and white-collar crime. Led by Ladislav Štorek and criminal law practice head Ladislav Smejkal, the team has a blend of expertise across sectors, with high-value energy mandates a particular specialty. The diversity of the team is demonstrated through its core practitioners, which include highly recommended energy expert Petr Zákoucký; Petr Slach, who handles competition and energy sector litigation; and Jiří Tomola, who focuses on disputes related to finance, restructuring and insolvency.
Ladislav Štorek; Ladislav Smejkal
‘I appreciated how pragmatic the team is. They are available, experienced and have very good communication.’
‘Ladislav Storek is an excellent lawyer, moreover he is a remarkable leader.’
Residomo (a Blackstone Group company)
Sev.en Energy Group/Sev.en EC
Česká exportní banka (Czech Export Bank)
- Successfully represented Sev.en EC, Veolia Energie ČR and Veolia Energie Kolín in litigation relating to the reimbursement of the gift tax illegally imposed onto emission allowances in the years 2011 and 2012 before the Supreme Administrative Court as well as before the Czech Constitutional Court.
- Acting for Česká exportní banka (Czech Export Bank) and the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam, as the security agent for Czech Export Bank in Vietnam, in connection with pending insolvency proceedings against Trade B.G.M. in the Czech Republic.
- Successfully represented Sev.en EC, as the operator of the Chvaletice Power Plant, before the Supreme Administrative Court and Municipal Court in Prague in a dispute concerning the alleged lack of an environmental impact assessment in relation to the reconstruction of two units of the power plant.
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law provides a 'high-quality commercial litigation service' in domestic cases, and also handles international arbitration. The team is led by Dušan Sedláček, who 'has deep knowledge of the law and an exceptional overview of the market', and Jan Šturm. The sizeable team is renowned for its ability to handle complex banking litigation for leading Czech clients and it also has expertise in cross-border disputes covering the wider CEE region. Petr Sprinz specialises in insolvency and restructuring cases, while associate René Cienciala has experience in investor-state arbitration.
Dusan Sedlacek; Jan Sturm
‘There are a lot of excellent lawyers with foreign legal education in this team and what makes them especially strong is the fact that they have one of the largest (if not the largest) litigation practice groups covering many areas of expertise.‘
‘Dušan Sedláček is one of the smartest lawyers I know, the breadth of his knowledge and his diligence is respectable.‘
‘The team is always well prepared, pays great attention to the case and goes down to the very detail.’
‘Dušan Sedláček is a real professional, he has deep knowledge of the law and an exceptional overview of the market.’
‘Rene Cienciala is also very active and is a skilled lawyer with great communication skills.‘
‘Jan Sturm is a skilled tactical litigator.’
Uefa (Union of European Football Associations)
M7 Group / Skylink
Football Association of the Czech Republic
Ceska sporitelna / Erste Group
BNP Paribas Cardiff
- Representing Metrostav, the largest Czech construction company, and its subsidiaries in several disputes related to major development projects.
- Representing the Google entities (Alphabet Group) in precedent-setting disputes pending before the Czech courts in connection with claims for compensation of material and immaterial harm allegedly caused by the operation of Google web searches.
- Representing Uefa in a case involving an action for injunction and damages brought against the client by multiple Belgian and Czech citizens before the Czech courts.
Robert Němec and Marek Procházka lead the dispute resolution team at PRK Partners, which has extensive experience representing clients in domestic and international arbitration. Noted for its 'practical and proactive approach', the team has skill in insolvency proceedings, acting for leading banks, and is also expanding its IP/IT litigation practice. Martin Aschenbrenner, who is also an arbitrator, has experience acting for energy clients in mid-to-high value disputes, including cross-border matters. The team also includes recommended associate Michal Sylla.
Robert Němec; Marek Procházka
‘PRK Partners has a team of highly skilled and experienced professionals with deep knowledge in their areas of specialisation. In addition, they provide excellent client service.’
‘Robert Němec is an outstanding negotiator, gets quickly to the point and is a very business-oriented lawyer.’
‘Petra Stupkova is specialised in intellectual property law. She is professional and careful.’
RPG Industries Limited
- Representing RPG Industries in a complicated dispute regarding apartments formerly owned by OKD.
- Representing J&T Group in connection with the enforcement of security against CEFC Group, a major Chinese investor group in the Czech Republic and Central Europe, including enforcement of security by way of hostile seizure of Czech assets of CEFC Group by J&T and the subsequent resolution of J&T Group’s receivables by way of its purchase by Citic, a Chinese state-controlled entity.
- Representing Satpo Group, a leading property developer in the Czech Republic, in various disputes relating to construction and to the contesting of claims in insolvency proceedings (as a creditor).
ROWAN LEGAL handles commercial arbitration and alternative dispute resolution for both local and international clients. Led by Miloš Olík, the team includes Martin Janoušek, who is recommended for his 'strategic brain', practice co-head Lukáš Duffek and Jaroslav Heyduk, who has appeared in the courts at all levels. The team has been strengthened by the addition of Lucie Kačerová, who joined from Kocián Šolc Balaštík.
Miloš Olík; Lukáš Duffek
‘Milos Olik is an experienced litigator with very good reputation among his peers. He is very prompt and responsive.’
‘The lawyers are highly experienced professionals with strong legal backgrounds and good communication skills.‘
‘The team have an exceptional track record both locally and internationally.‘
‘The team have in-depth knowledge of law combined with the ability to convey legal arguments convincingly, supported by logic and the facts of the case, as well as very good perception of the case and tactics and strategy.‘
O2 Czech Republic
Hlavní město Praha (The City of Prague)
Area TZB a.s.
Česká exportní banka (Czech Export Bank)
Algon Plus – Auto a.s.
Aures Holdings a.s. (AAA Auto International)
Insolvency administrator of Vítkovice Power Engineering a.s.
Export Guarantee and Insurance Corporation (EGAP)
Invia Group SE, member of Rockaway Group
Řízení letového provozu ČR s.p. (Air Navigation Services Czech Republic)
ŘSD (Road and Motorway Directorate of the Czech Republic)
Česká Televize (Czech public TV broadcaster)
- Representing O2 Czech Republic in a total of eight disputes against companies which provided distribution and maintenance services, including Radiocom.
- Represented the city of Prague as an intervener in various disputes with alternative taxi services provider.
- Representing Česká exportní banka in proceedings to set aside an arbitral award.
The team at Bányaiová Vožehová, s.r.o., law office is made up of 'experienced litigators' who handle litigation and arbitration proceedings for a wide array of clients, including leading corporates and NGOs. Lucie Dolanská Bányaiová represents major companies in court, specialising in competition and international trade disputes. The team also includes Lucie Oršulová, who has expertise in criminal law, particularly in relation to finance, and Alena Bányaiová, who focuses on disputes over complex commercial contracts and is recommended for arbitration proceedings.
Lucie Dolanská Bányaiová; Lucie Oršulová; Alena Bányaiová
‘The team comprises experienced litigators who are well organised with very effective and efficient allocation of tasks so that even in the most complex litigation no detail is forgotten and all arguments are put to use in due time with the best impact and outcome.‘
‘The team is works well with our personnel and is capable of efficiently collecting the necessary evidence and relevant information and to make an analysis of the status of the case, the pros and cons of the case and the best strategy.’
‘Lucie Dolanská Bányaiová is a very capable litigator who is quick on her feet and presents a convincing case based on thorough knowledge of the facts. She always takes into account industry-specific practices.’
‘Václav Duda efficiently supports Lucie Dolanská Bányaiová and has in-depth knowledge of the case so that all the aspects and relevant issues can be taken into account and incorporated into the arguments.’
Vinci Construction Group – Průmstav, a.s
Ballymore Properties B.V.
ON Semiconductor Czech Republic, s. r. o.
Statutory City of Karlovy Vary
AGC Group – AGC Glass Czech a.s.
Insolvency trustee of ECM Real Estate Investments A.G.
T-Mobile Czech Republic
- Representing Unicef in a number of disputes, some involving corporate issues and one regarding protection of good name and reputation.
- Representing the Embassy of Turkish Republic in disputes regarding issuance of zoning and building permits for the construction of a new embassy building in Prague.
- Representing Bisnode Česká republika in a dispute with Sofis partner over the cancellation of an arbitration award granted to Bisnode for unfair competition and copyright violation.
C.H. Kališ & Partners s.r.o., advokátní kancelář handles a steady stream of litigation, predominantly in the banking and finance and infrastructure sectors. Practice head Martin Kartner specialises in employment-related disputes and administrative proceedings, while Lukáš Hoder has extensive arbitration experience and has appeared before the European Court of Human Rights. The team is also active in cross-border disputes.
Hervis Sport a móda, s.r.o.
Halali, všeobecná pojišťovna, a.s.
Vítkovice Heavy Machinery A.Ş.
Siderforgerossi Group Spa
United Pilsen S.A.
Gain Capital – Forex. Com UK Limited
Telio Management GmbH (BVfon Czech Telecommunication)
Interactive Brokers (U.K.) Limited
Veba, textilní závody a.s.
SLV Czech s.r.o.
FCC Česká republika, s.r.o.
Scatec Solar Group
Mark Kazhdan, Igor Kazhdan
- Represented Hervis, one of the biggest sellers of sports equipment and fashion, in proceedings before the Arbitration Court of the Economic and Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic.
- Acting for insurance company Halali on an ongoing dispute over a lease agreement for the client’s real estate.
- Representing an Italian manufacturer of steel rolled, open-die and closed-die forgings in pre-trial negotiations concerning the payment of the purchase price for goods which were delivered to a business partner of the client.
Clifford Chance is particularly skilled in insolvency litigation and has a standalone restructuring practice that handles contentious matters. Led by Miloš Felgr and Emil Holub, the team also includes senior associate Jan Dobry, who is noted for his significant expertise in energy, real estate and corporate sector disputes, as well as his arbitral experience. Tomáš Richter serves as an arbitrator and also handles corporate finance-related disputes.
Miloš Felgr; Emil Holub
‘The team is reliable and professional. Senior lawyers show engagement and support. Very well organised.‘
‘Jan Dobry is a supportive and professional senior litigator. Always full of ideas and searching for solutions. He is client-oriented and understanding of their needs.‘
Komerční banka, a.s.
Inžinierske stavby, a.s.
Česká spořitelna, a.s.
- Defending a major industrial company against an €800m claim for follow-on damages filed before the German courts in relation to a supplier cartel.
- Representing a major local private equity investor in arbitration proceedings commenced with the Vienna International Arbitral Centre as a result of failed start-up venture capital investment negotiations relating to a highly ambitious technological project.
- Defending a client in litigation brought by minority shareholders following a squeeze-out in its Czech subsidiary.
The dispute resolution team at Glatzová & Co., s.r.o. provides a 'consistent and high-quality service'. The team regularly acts for significant energy clients in domestic arbitration cases. Led by Martin Dančišin, who is praised for his 'business-oriented approach', the team also includes Libor Němec, who brings his banking expertise to litigation matters, often representing Czech financial institutions in court proceedings, as well as Erik Kolan, who has experience in real estate disputes. Jan Veselý is also recommended.
Martin Dančišin; Libor Němec; Erik Kolan
‘The lawyers are easy to work with, available, and they can explain their thoughts using normal business language without falling back on legalese. It is valuable for us that Glatzová covers all aspects of our business (having enough lawyers specialising in various areas) and, at the same time, has two senior lawyers who have an in-depth understanding of what is generally going on in our company.’
‘Martin Dancisin is an experienced professional with an extensive commercial, financing and dispute resolution background who we value for his strong drive, big-picture perspective and creative ideas. Martin is also a great negotiator.’
‘Jan Vesely is easy to work with, and always able to provide swift and practical advice. He is calm but savvy, and patient but result-oriented. He is a highly committed adviser with particular skills in energy law, dispute resolution and M&A.‘
Seva-Seed, spol. S r.o.
Green Gas DPB, a.s.
Ford Motor Company
Centropol Energy, a.s.
WPB, spořitelní družstvo v likvidaci
EMTC – Czech, a.s.
Hypoteční banka, a.s.
Tajmac ZPS, a.s.
Western Union International Bank GmbH, organizační složka
- Representing Green Gas DPB, one of the leading companies in the area of renewable energy in the Czech Republic, in a dispute concerning the existence and categorisation of a claim against OKD for compensation for lost profits.
- Representing Solar Černilov, a subsidised solar power plant operator, in court proceedings regarding a fine imposed by the State Energy Inspection relating to the level of operation subsidies for green energy production to which the claimant is entitled.
- Represented Centropol Energy, one of the biggest alternative suppliers of gas and electricity in the Czech Republic, in a claim against a competitor for injunctive relief and compensation for immaterial damage.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS is active in dispute resolution with a focus on insolvency and complex commercial litigation. Jiri Cerny leads the team, which frequently acts on cross-border disputes with the assistance of the firm's pan-regional offering across the CEE. Managing partner Barbora Urbancova is the key name for multi-jurisdictional matters. Hynek Peroutka specialises in the construction, pharmaceutical and medical sectors.
Skanska Reality a.s.
Stolichen Elektrotransport EAD
Atalian CZ s.r.o.
Zaslaw TSS Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.
DUROtherm Thermoforming Czechia
Aures Holdings (AAA Auto)
LOT Polish Airlines
- Representing Veolia in a complex dispute relating to a water management concession in a large town in the region of Moravia.
- Representating Veolia in several proceedings against parties in relation to an accident involving drinking water contamination in Prague.
- Representing a Czech subsidiary of the Skanska group, a leading international project development and construction group, in a dispute with Pilkington over the return of the purchase price from a voided contract on a supply of glass profilits.
Pokorný, Wagner & Partners
Pokorný, Wagner & Partners is skilled in acting for major clients in energy sector litigation and is renowned for its international arbitration experience. Petr Málek leads on international cases and is the name to note for high-value energy and construction disputes. The team also handles commercial litigation, investment arbitration and unfair competition cases. Lukáš Kalina focuses on commercial and intellectual property disputes, while Ondřej Vévoda specialises in civil proceedings. Tomáš Ščerba departed the team to join White & Case (Europe) LLP.
Petr Málek; David Skopal
Advanced World Transport a.s.
Asbis CZ, spol. s r.o.
ČEZ Distribuce, a. s.
ČEZ Prodej, a. s.
Eurovia CS, a.s.
Pivovary Lobkowicz Group, a.s.
Property Management Solutions s.r.o.
Sokolovská uhelná, právní nástupce, a.s.
Škoda Transportation a.s.
- Representing ČEZ in a high-value ICSID international investment arbitration.
- Representing Eurovia, Skanska, Strabag, Poor and Advanced World Transport in civil and arbitration proceedings for rectification of alleged defects on motorway D47, as well as a claim for damages.
- Represented Czech company Škoda Transportation in arbitration proceedings against state-owned rail carrier České dráhy, arising from a purchase agreement on the delivery of locomotives.
Weinhold Legal maintains its specialism in real estate-related litigation and in representing banking clients. It also handles investment disputes and IP litigation. Led by Milan Polák, the team has dual Czech and Slovak law capabilities. Daniel Weinhold handles commercial litigation and has a strong track record in tax litigation. Ondřej Havránek acts as an arbitrator.
Milan Polak; Daniel Weinhold
‘The Individuals in the team are very experienced and open minded.‘
‘The team is commercially aware and knows the legal market in dispute resolution very well. They are able to handle large and small matters and are sufficiently staffed for these purposes.’
‘Martin Lukas is a seasoned and excellent litigator, very good technically and aware of the commercial and business considerations important in dealing with dispute resolution matters. He was also able significantly assist with our business development strategy by introducing us to potential clients.’
‘Vladimir Petracek is able to handle complex matters efficiently. He is active in competition law-related matters and has shown great expertise in this area.’
- Represented Grandi Stazioni in the enforcement of claims arising from lease agreements concluded with the owner of the stations as part of a PPP project for the revitalisation of railway stations including the Prague main station.
- Assisted a litigation financing provider in the CEE with the establishment of its business in the Czech Republic.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář primarily acts for local clients in disputes, led by Ivan Sagál and IP expert and arbitrator Vojtěch Chloupek. Associate Michaela Hermanová is a specialist in dispute resolution in the automotive, corporate and commercial sectors.
Ivan Sagál; Vojtěch Chloupek
Dramedy Productions s.r.o.
- Represented Dramedy Productions in a dispute with NETservis regarding a custom-designed website provided to the client.
- Representing the client in a dispute with the Ministry of Transport concerning access to data in a public register.
Eversheds Sutherland's practice is noted for its 'high-quality service and unique ability' and is particularly skilled in employment-related disputes. Led by experienced arbitrator Jan Krampera, the team also includes employment lawyer Tomáš Procházka and senior associate Vojtěch Faltus. Thanks to the firm's wider European network of offices, the team is also able to handle cross-border matters.
‘Jan Krampera is a great litigator. He is very clear in explaining how he intends to achieve the results we expect and his solutions work.’
‘Vojtech Faltus is always ready to help. His advice concerns not only legal matters but also the business side of the case.’
‘The team has a personal approach to the client, a high level of technical knowledge, precision, tempo and reliability, and a high quality of legal service is provided.’
Albert Česká republika (Ahold Delhaize)
Bonver Win group
- Successfully represented Albert Česká republika in several damages claims and commercial disputes.
- Successfully represented PSP Engineering in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings in Vienna.
- Representing Siemens in a dispute resulting from the client’s liability for defects which occurred in photovoltaic energy plant parts which it manufactured and sold.
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL
RANDA HAVEL LEGAL has a niche dispute resolution offering for clients in the environmental sector, with a specific focus on waste management and disposal. Headed by managing partner Martin Řanda, the team includes procurement expert Tomáš Rydvan and Jan Havel. Ladislav Peterka is a key contact for arbitration matters and represents clients before the Czech and international courts.
Chládek a Tintěra, Pardubice a.s.
Fides Group a.s.
G – Team a.s.
Doosan Škoda Power s.r.o.
JCDecaux, Městský mobiliář, s.r.o.
Pražské služby, a.s.
Balabenka s.r.o. (AFI Europe)
Sense Invest spol. s r.o.
Air France and KLM
- Representing a member of Africa Israel Investments in a dispute against a state company administrating the railways in connection with the construction of an administrative project in the centre of Prague.
Skils s.r.o. advokátní kancelář
Skils s.r.o. advokátní kancelář has considerable expertise in investor-state disputes and complex cross-border litigation. Karolína Horáková is a key practitioner in the team, with experience in ICSID arbitration, as is Libor Morávek. Martin Kramar also has litigation experience. Managing partner Karel Muzikář is also a key contact.
‘Karolína Horáková has an excellent reputation in the market.’
Czech Republic / Ministry of Finance
Czech Government / Road and Motorway Directorate
Ceske drahy (Czech Railways)
Ustecky Region (Usteckykraj)
Moneta Money Bank
Capital City of Prague
- Represented the Czech Republic, as respondent, in seven investor-state arbitrations emanating from changes in Czech legislation governing subsidies for the production of electricity from solar radiation.
- Represented CEZ, as claimant, in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Bulgaria under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Represented CEZ in administrative litigation over the land use permit for the Temelin spent nuclear fuel storage facility.
UEPA advokáti s.r.o.'s practice is equipped to handle major arbitration cases, both domestic and international, for an array of clients, predominantly in the banking sector. The team also has German law capabilities. The practice is led by experienced litigators Lars Magnus Klett and Lucie Hladěnová and Andreas Ueltzhöffer, who is particularly skilled in arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Counsel Philipp Chizzola has a focus on commercial and corporate disputes.
Andreas Ueltzhöffer; Lars Magnus Klett; Lucie Hladěnová
‘Very professional approach, wide spectrum of knowledge, quick reactions, and they understand how our business works and tailor specific legal solutions to us.‘
‘Lucie Hladěnová has a wide spectrum of knowledge, covering individual and collective labour disputes and disputes with suppliers and customers. We especially like her practical outlook and economic and rational approach to cases. Regardless of how difficult the situation is, she finds a solution which works for us.‘
Expobank CZ a.s. (former LBBW CZ a.s., formerly BAWAG Bank CZ and BNP Dresdner Bank CZ)
Landesbank Baden Württemberg (LBBW)
Lindner Hotels Group
KiK Textilien und Non-Food GmbH
- Representing Expobank CZ in proceedings pertaining to embezzlement and negligence before the Czech courts valued at €6.7m.
- Represented Expobank CZ in proceedings before the Czech courts against the beneficiary of a bank guarantee in connection with the construction of a hotel in the centre of Prague.
- Representing KiK Textilien und Non-Food in two lawsuits over the validity of the termination of a lease contract for retail premises by the client.
bnt attorneys-at-law has experience representing clients in commercial litigation, as well as employment and corporate disputes. Jan Šafránek and associate Zuzana Ďuríková head the dispute resolution practice, which includes senior associate Stephan Heidenhain, who represents creditors in insolvency proceedings.
Jan Šafránek; Zuzana Ďuríková
Český atletický svaz (Czech Athletics Association)
CPDP Shopping Mall Kladno
Private Individual – Martin Urwalek
Private Individual – Milan Hradický, Josef Beneš
RSJ Investments SICAV
PB 1 s.r.o. (the affiliate of Merona Holding)
- Representing a well-established shopping centre in Kladno before the Arbitration Court at the Economic Chamber of the Czech Republic and the Agricultural Chamber of the Czech Republic.
- Representing Hochtief CZ in two disputes with the statutory city of Pilsen over the delivery of the New Theatre and over the concrete sculpture of an egg in front of the building of the New Theatre.
- Representing two former shareholders and board members in a dispute over compensation, which concluded with a settlement.
bpv Braun Partners s.r.o.'s 'smart, personable and practical' team is led by Pavel Vincík. The team counts many energy sector players among its key clients and is experienced in representing clients in both the Czech and Slovak courts. Marc Müller is a key contact for German clients.
‘The firm’s strength in commercial litigation is its ability to provide a breadth of litigation services, while simultaneously pulling from its deep well of experience. The firm has seen it all, and they have the right people to put on the case when needed. I have to also praise their holistic approach to client service.’
‘The composition of the team is excellent and Pavel Vincik is an expert in dispute resolution and keeps a cool head even in complex circumstances – you can see that he has been working in this field for years. Moreover, he has a very efficient yet engaging approach.‘
‘Marc Müller is also a reliable contact person for me – he fulfilled my demand for first-class legal work at all times. He knows everything inside and out. He knows the best way to handle contentious matters and resolve them quickly.’
EP Energy Trading
Ministry of Finance
- Representing a large regional energy distributor within the E.ON energy group in various judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Acting for EP Energy Trading in various disputes and claims for damages with energy dealers.
- Representing S.A.G. Solarstrom’s foreign insolvency administrator in a claim for the payment of a settlement share of about €11m incurred due to the dissolution of part of the debtor in a Czech corporation.
At DLA Piper, Petr Šabatka and experienced arbitrator Miroslav Dubovský lead the dispute resolution practice, which is described as possessing 'great know-how'. The team handles domestic litigation and insolvency proceedings for a mix of banking sector clients. Jan Karabeleš is experienced in commercial litigation with a focus on the banking and finance area.
Petr Šabatka; Miroslav Dubovský
‘Great know-how sharing, clear communication with clients.’
UniCredit (UniCredit Leasing CZ a.s., UniCredit Fleet Management s.r.o.
HVB Leasing Czech Republic s.r.o.
UniCredit Leasing CZ a.s.,
UniCredit Fleet Management s.r.o.
RCI Financial Services s.r.o.
Catlin Europe SE
British Airways Plc
United Parcel Service Czech Republic, s.r.o
- Representing UniCredit Leasing CZ on an ongoing basis in litigation and arbitration against the client’s debtor and collateral providers.
- Representing Skofin, as creditor, on ongoing basis in insolvency proceedings.
- Representing insurance company Catlin Europe in three actions for the payment of insurance indemnity.
The practice at Wolf Theiss is led by Robert Pelikán following the departure of Petr Syrovátko for Deloitte Legal s.r.o., advokátní kancelář, and handles commercial disputes and international arbitration for banking clients. The team includes key senior associate Kateřina Kulhánková, who is experienced in cross-border disputes and corporate litigation, as well as associate Jaromír Pumr, who works alongside Jitka Logesová on white-collar crime matters.
‘Wolf Theiss is unique due to its exceptional combination of legal practice and academic perspective, and last but not least, the high level of expertise of all its team members. Although it is a medium-sized law firm, it is flexible and well organised.’
‘Robert Pelikán has an excellent overview of new legislation and trends in legal science. This is a quality that is exceptional in the Czech legal services market.’
Czech Export Bank
- Acting for Ceska exportni banka (Czech Export Bank) in arbitration regarding the interpretation of loan agreements and security documentation.
- Representing Ceska exportni banka as the creditor in bankruptcy proceedings.