Firms in the Spotlight EU and competition
EU and competition in Cyprus
Led by the vastly experienced Anastasios A. Antoniou, Antoniou McCollum & Co. LLC handles EU and competition matters for global private equity funds and multinational corporations. In a recent highlight, the group acted for Unilever before the Cyprus competition authority in successfully clearing its acquisition of cosmetics company, Tatcha. Alongside the practice's EU competition expertise, the team also handles the competition aspects of GDPR compliance mandates.
Anastasios A. Antoniou
Schwarz Group (Lidl)
L Brands (Victoria’s Secrets)
Investment Corporation of Dubai
Baring Private Equity Asia
- Acted for Unilever as competition counsel on its acquisition of Tatcha.
- Advising Sainsbury’s on Cyprus competition issues.
- Acting for Investment Corporation of Dubai as competition counsel on the high-profile ISS deal.
Elias Neocleous & Co LLC assists clients from a range of sectors with matters involving the Commission for the Protection of Competition, and is also active in competition and merger issues and advisory work in the shipping and betting industries. The 'strong and experienced antitrust practice is well connected’ and receives instructions from international law firms on the implications of EU law on local companies in the banking, finance and corporate sectors. The experienced Nicholas Ktenas leads the practice, while senior associate Ramona Livera has a ‘very hands-on and responsive’ approach. Associate Elena Christodoulou is also highly regarded.
‘Ramona Livera is very hands-on and responsive; a pleasure to work with.’
‘A strong and experienced antitrust practice that is well connected.’
Avanti Communications Group
Blackstone Group International Partnership LLP
British High Commission, Nicosia
Cyprus Tourism Development Corporation Ltd
European Investment Fund
Invel Real Estate Partners
Jordan Kuwait Bank (Cyprus Branch)
Mall of Cyprus
NBG Pangea Limited
Otis Elevators group
Thomas Cook Group plc
- Advised Invel Real Estate Partners and NBG Pangaea REIC on the acquisition and re-financing of the Aphrodite Hills Resort, one of the largest property developments and holiday resorts in Cyprus.
- Submitted a complaint to the European Commission regarding an infringement of EU law by the government of Cyprus relating to the incorrect implementation of a directive regarding the recognition of professional qualifications in the Cypriot legislation.
- Advised the purchasers of the only five-star hotel in Nicosia on all competition matters relating to the purchase and rebranding of the hotel.
Dr K Chrysostomides & Co LLC has substantial expertise in EU and competition matters, encompassing antitrust issues, merger control work, cartels, and abuse of dominance mandates. Led by George Mountis, the team also provides advice to domestic and international clients in various sectors across the main regulatory fields governed by EU law spanning competition, trade, environment, free movement of goods and services, consumer protection, and privacy and data protection issues. Anna Rossides and associate Alexandros Efstathiou are also key contacts in this space.
‘They are professionals; you trust the legal advice and you feel safe that you will have a documented and substantiated reply.’
Societe Generale Bank – Cyprus
Pittas Dairies Ltd and Pittas Dairy Industries Ltd
Trading Point Holdings Ltd (XM)
Monaco Telecom International SAM
- Acted as Cypriot counsel to Monaco Telecom International SAM on its acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of MTN Cyprus Limited.
- Acted as Cypriot competition legal counsel to Daimler on its acquisition of a majority shareholding, along with FC Koln, of leading German eSports organisation, SK Gaming.
- Acted for Daimler in an anti-trust investigation in the market for spare parts, and acting before the Administrative Court in a recourse action against the decision of the national competition authority.
Lellos P Demetriades Law Office
Lellos P Demetriades Law Office provides advice on all aspects of EU and Cypriot competition law, with particular expertise in abuse of dominance work, cartel investigations, merger notification filings, judicial review applications against decisions of the Commission for the Protection of Competition, and private actions for damages. The group has notable expertise in the pharmaceuticals, insurance, aviation, food and beverage, and tobacco sectors. The practice is headed up by Achilleas Demetriades and newly promoted partner Haris Satsias, who demonstrate ‘excellent professionalism and perfect knowledge of the subject of EU and competition’.
Achilleas Demetriades; Haris Satsias
‘The whole team has shown excellent professionalism and perfect knowledge of the subject of EU and competition. Their legal advice was precise, to the point and easily understood. Mr Achilleas Demetriades and Mr Haris Satsias are the notable lawyers, and have demonstrated the above qualities.’
‘The team at Lellos P. Demetriades is extremely professional and accommodating to our needs. They are always willing to listen to our concerns and explain any areas of the law which are unclear to us. They are a pleasure to deal with.’
‘They are always willing to help, especially if needed outside of normal working hours. They are respectful to our concerns and needs, and precise in their working methods. Standout lawyers are Pampos Pogiatzis, Joanna Loizides, and Natasa Ioakovou.’
The practice at Chrysses Demetriades & Co Law Office is led by competition law expert Polyvios Panayides, whose ‘knowledge, reputation, personality, patience and persistence’ receives praise from clients. Panayides and his team have particular expertise in merger control and antitrust work covering niche sectors including the consumer goods, shipping and ports, hotel, real estate, insurance, and energy industries. The firm also regularly receives referrals and instructions from leading international law firms to act as Cypriot counsel on cross-border matters.
‘We value the knowledge, reputation, personality, patience and persistence of Mr Polyvios Panayides, who we work with.’
At HARRIS KYRIAKIDES LLC, anti-trust issues, public procurement matters, EU compliance mandates and the related litigation and advisory work are key areas of strength. The team ‘is unique due to its creativeness, good communication skills, very good judgement, and excellent analytical and research skills’. Its clients include domestic corporations, financial institutions, and governmental agencies. Practice head Michael Kyriakides is the key name to note.
‘Harris Kyriakides & Associates is unique due to its creativeness, good communication skills, very good judgement, and excellent analytical and research skills.’
Petrolina (Holdings) Public Ltd
Sewerage Council of Ayia Napa
Ioannides Demetriou LLC regularly represents high-profile local clients before Cyprus’ Commission for the Protection of Competition, and is praised for its 'excellent level of services in all respects including knowledge of the industry, reliability of opinion, in-depth reviews and prompt replies.' The group has defended clients in complaints and investigations initiated by the Commission for alleged abuses of dominant positions, and has also been involved in the drafting of notifications relating to concentrations of undertakings. Pambos Ioannides, Andrew Demetriou and Christina Ioannidou head up the team; Ioannides can ‘untangle complex issues and present them in a simple and well-structured way’.
Pambos Ioannides; Andrew Demetriou; Christina Ioannidou
‘The firms offers first class service and stands out from other firms. It is characterised by its high level of services and responsiveness.’
‘The firm has high quality people up and down the organisation. The lawyers at the firm are all willing to go the extra mile in order to assist us.’
‘Excellent level of services in all respects: knowledge of the industry, reliability of opinion, in-depth reviews, prompt replies.’
‘I am impressed by Pambos Ioannides’ professional service and the advice I get is always high calibre, prompt, reliable and well-documented. Mr Ioannides has the charisma of being able to untangle complex issues and present them is a simple and well structured way.’
European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education
Public Co Ltd Hermes Airports Ltd
Electricity Authority of Cyprus
Cyprus Trading Corporation PLC
Argosy Trading Company Ltd
- Advised a consortium of major oil companies including Petrolina Holdings, Synergas and Intergas on its joint venture for the construction and operation of new LPG storage facilities.
- Engaged by the European Agency, acting as experts on behalf of the Ministry of Education, for restructuring the primary and secondary education system of the country.
- Advised Argosy Trading Company on the acquisition, preparation and submission of a notification to the Commission for the Protection of Competition (CPC) and obtaining CPC’s clearance for its acquisition of all the business and operations of Chrikar Trading.
Jointly led by Menelaos Kyprianou and Marina Hadjisoteriou, the team at Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC ‘consists of some of the most experienced individuals’ for advice on EU and competition law in Cyprus. It acts for local and international clients on a wide spectrum of matters pertaining to national and EU competition law including infringements of competition law arising from mergers, anti-competitive practices and auxiliary issues.
Menelaos Kyprianou; Marina Hadjisoteriou
‘The team consists of some of the most experienced individuals in the industry.’
- Provided legal and regulatory advice to a client regarding its ongoing operations relating to GDPR, preparation of policies and procedures as to the implementation of GDPR and the impact of GDPR in the company’s day-to-day business operations.