Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC
Our Top Tier Dispute Resolution practice is the largest and most experienced department of the firm. As one of the leading departments in Cyprus, it is renowned for delivering exceptional service to clients. Senior & Managing Partner, Stavros Pavlou is an Elite Leading Individual in Cyprus and praised for his “very deep knowledge of the …View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Cyprus
Led by George Triantafyllides, the robust team at Antis Triantafyllides & Sons LLC handles a broad range of disputes, specialising in corporate litigation. This includes but is not restricted to interim order applications, Norwich Pharmacal orders, freezing orders, and other types of disclosure orders. The practice is instructed on cases before the District Courts and the Supreme Court of Cyprus, but its matters also extend to claims before the majority of the courts and tribunals in Cyprus, including the Employment Tribunal, the Rent Tribunal, the Tenders Review Authority and the Commission for the Protection of Competition. The firm also has an enviable track record in arbitration and mediation. Associate Theodoros Economou is another key practitioner.
Public Joint Stock Company “PrivatBank”
Hellenic Bank Public Company Ltd
Motor Oil (Hellas) Corinth Refineries S.A.
Hennes & Mauritz AB
Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
Cyprus Import Corporation
S & T Equity (Overseas) Limited
VTB Bank Group of companies
Public Joint Stock Company “Bank Credit DNEPR”
- Filed an action for PrivatBank against PricewaterhouseCoopers Ltd (registered in Cyprus) and limited liability company audit firm “PricewaterhouseCoopers Audit” (registered in Ukraine) for $3bn for breach of statutory, contractual and fiduciary duties and responsibilities primarily in auditing financial statements and negligence.
- Acted for AB PCO Investment in filing an action against CAT GMBH Consulting Agency Trade & Company (Cyprus) and others claiming damages for, inter alia, conspiracy, fraud, misrepresentation, conspiracy to defraud and cause of financial discomfort in the amount of €176.5m.
- Representing Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CYSEC) in an appeal filed by CYSEC and the Attorney General of the Republic of Cyprus in regard to the decision of the Administrative Court finding payroll reductions imposed on civil servants as part of an austerity drive in 2012 unconstitutional.
Chrysses Demetriades & Co Law Office
The ‘meticulous’ and 'highly experienced’ team at Chrysses Demetriades & Co Law Office regularly acts on diverse, high-profile disputes originating in Cyprus, ranging from corporate litigation through to criminal and regulatory investigations. Freezing injunctions and other interim procedures are where the firm is most active. The team, headed by Demetris Araouzos, is ‘very alert, diligent and is very prompt in resolving very complicated local and international legal issues’. Highly regarded partner Katia Kakoulli is singled out for ‘her knowledge and experience in cross-border disputes’ and an ability to ‘think several steps ahead and advise on the roadblocks and how to preempt or mitigate them’.
‘Highly experienced and well-regarded litigation and corporate team in Cyprus.’
‘Katia Kakoulli can think several steps ahead and advise you on the roadblocks and how to preempt or mitigate them. Her knowledge and experince in cross-border disputes go far beyond the Cypriot jurisdiction.’
‘I am really happy we work with this firm. They see the options, which many others do not, and they’re always responsive and always care.’
‘Andreas Charalambous is a very talented lawyer; the driving force of the team, with which we have been working.’
‘Polyvios Panayides has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is extremely measured and down to the point.’
‘Excellent understanding of the business aspects of a matter, hence they can approach a case from all angles.’
‘They are meticulous and anticipate all potential hurdles.’
‘Katia Kakoulli always sees through the problem in a case and thinks out of the box in order to find a solution. In cases where the lawsuit ends up in the hearing procedure she is always well prepared, everything that is needed for the case is prepared on time with excellence, and in general I feel comfort and safety while she handles the case.’
‘Chrysses Demetriades & Co LLC team is very alert, diligent and they are very prompt in resolving very complicated local and international legal issues. In our opinion, what certainly distinguishes them is their effectiveness.’
‘Both Andreas Charalambous and Stacey Armeftis are very professional and cooperative. In our cooperation, they have shown knowledge and effectiveness and they resolved a complicated legal situation in a very short period. I would certainly recommend them as excellent lawyers.’
Ioannides Demetriou LLC has considerable expertise representing clients in arbitration proceedings, offering the full range of alternative dispute resolution services to private and public-sector organisations. Commercial litigation, including interim junction orders, make up the rest of its caseload. The team has ‘qualified arbitrators and mediators and this quality shows through when they represent you’. Pambos Ioannides, Andrew Demetriou and Christos Frakalas lead the practice and are praised for being ‘professionals with longstanding experience in court advocacy and dispute resolution’. Frakalas and Demetriou offer ‘an impressive hands-on approach’ on disputes, with the latter commended for ‘his ‘extensive practical experience’ and 'leadership skills’. Associate director Savvas Yiordamlis is also recommended.
‘The firm offers first class service and stands out from other firms. It is characterised by its high level of services and responsiveness. We especially value the great attention to detail the firm exhibits and the firm’s ability to deal both with the general structure of a deal as well as with the practical issues which typically arise in transactions.’
‘The Ioannides Demetriou LLC team is highly specialised and dedicated in all aspects of dispute resolution and alternative dispute resolution. They have qualified arbitrators and mediators and this quality shows through when they represent you.’
‘Demetris Kronides is very hard working and cooperative. Christina Ioannidou, is an outstanding lawyer and a great person to deal with, both intelligent and reliable.’
‘We are fully fully satisfied with the firm’s remarkable professionalism in a number of matters, involving cross-border civil and criminal litigation.’
‘Christos P. Frakalas and Andrew Demetriou offer an impressive hands-on approach. Andrew has a strategic mind with excellent understanding of underlying legal issues. He always provides valuable advice despite the complexity of the matter.’
‘Ioannides Demetriou LLC has proven to be a reliable associate and partner in representing clients in court cases and in general, in the handling of dispute resolution issues and cases.’
‘The partners and associates of Ioannides Demetriou LLC are professionals with long-standing experience in court advocacy and dispute resolution. Savvas Yiordamlis is highly recommended as a professional lawyer and litigator; Savvas Yiordamlis is a devoted lawyer who will work under tight timeframes and deliver high quality of legal services.’
‘Andrew Demetriou has extensive practical experience and is a very strong personality with leadership skills.’
Electricity Authority of Cyprus
Hermes Airports Ltd
NKS Shacolas Group
Petrolina Holdings Public Co Ltd
CNP Cyprus Insurance Holdings Ltd
Lois Builders Ltd
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
N.P. Voniatis & Co Ltd
Medcon Constructions Ltd
Eurobank Cyprus Ltd
Hellenic Bank Public Co Ltd
Paphos Sewerage Board
- Acting for Lois Builders in arbitral proceedings to be commenced against the Cyprus Ports Authority in relation to the final account issued by the client for the project of the construction of the new passenger lounge at the Port of Limassol.
- Represented Cybarco Limited before the Tender Review Board in connection with the award of tender for the sewerage and drainage project of Limassol-Amathus phase B2 contract E13 Limassol West.
- Representation of Paphos Sewerage Board in an action filed by Nemesis in the District Court of Paphos concerning the construction of the Paphos sewerage system.
The ‘very effective and hardworking’ team at Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC has ‘years of experience in cross-border asset-tracing exercises, is not afraid to take risks in interim applications, and displays sound commercial judgement’. Its litigation team acts in a wide range of instructions: commercial, defamation, business crime, and shareholder disputes are among its areas of expertise. Marina Hadjisoteriou (‘adept at spotting the issues quickly and understanding the commercial realities for her clients’) and Menelaos Kyprianou (‘breaks down otherwise complicated barriers with ease’) jointly head the practice. Another name to note is the ‘extremely hardworking and sharp-minded’ associate Constantina Zantira, who is ‘very impressive in court’.
‘The firm has years of experience in cross-border asset-tracing exercises, is not afraid to take risks in interim applications, and displays sound commercial judgement.’
‘Menelaos Kyprianou is great with clients and breaks down otherwise complicated barriers with ease. A first rate legal and commercial adviser with years of cross-border experience.’
‘Michael Kyprianou & Co LLC clearly stand out in the Cypriot legal market. I was particularly impressed with their comprehensive approach and readiness to work hard even in the most tight deadlines.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou is an outstanding disputes resolution lawyer. She is fully engaged in the matter and very efficiently manages the most complex cases. Constantina Zantira is a very bright associate. She is extremely hard working and sharp-minded.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou has an eye for business and is adept at spotting the issues quickly and understanding the commercial realities for her clients. She is a strategist, with excellent legal abilities, a team player, very responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou exceeded everyone’s expectations. Constantina Zantira is the associate who ensured that everything ran smoothly when we had a case together.’
‘Mrs. Hadjisoteriou is an excellent communicator and always on stand-by mode. Attention to the details of the matter on the one hand, and knowledge of applicable law or case law on another, enable Mrs. Hadjisoteriou to give very efficient advice in terms of legal actions.’
‘Michael Kyprianou & Co has a very effective and hardworking dispute resolution team.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou and Constantina Zantira are key lawyers for us. Marina Hadjisoteriou is proactive and knowledgeable. Constantina Zantira is very impressive in court.’
Amethyst Radiotherapy Ltd
- Acted for Amethyst Radiotherapy Ltd on a cross-jurisdictional shareholder dispute between the shareholders of the company.
- Represented A.S. Expobank in a claim filed against it by one of its clients claiming misuse of her investor account.
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC's team has the ability to devise ‘inventive and workable solutions to difficult problems’. It primarily acts for banks and financial services clients, handling international and local disputes in conventional and alternative forms of dispute resolution. This includes some instructions involving arbitration and mediation. Stavros Pavlou is ‘a chess master' who maps out 'a strategy several steps ahead’; Chrysostomos Nicolaou is ‘pragmatic’ and ‘very experienced in handling complex cases’. Eleana Christofi, who is ‘a very bright and experienced junior partner with incredible work product’, was promoted to partner. Stella Louka Pavlou is also noted.
‘Chrysostomos Nicolaou and Eleana Christofi are excellent lawyers with excellent expertise in law. Always care about the result of the cases and the client’s interests.’
‘Stavros Pavlou is a chess master, focused on the overall strategy and business aspect of the cases, mapping out strategy several steps ahead. Eleana Christofi is a very bright and experienced junior partner with incredible work product and Chrysostomos Nicolaou is very experienced in handling complex cases and very pragmatic in his approach.’
‘The team are very pragmatic and commercial in their approach, coming up with inventive and workable solutions to difficult problems. They are also extremely well connected.’
‘Stavros Pavlou is extremely pragmatic, commercial and user friendly. He finds a way to cut through complexity to arrive at a simple, workable solution quickly.’
VTB Bank OAO
Bank of Moscow
Alpha Bank (Cyprus) Ltd
Bank of Cyprus PLC
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhartn& Sullivan LLP
King & Spalding LLP
- Representing one of the largest investment banks in Russia in its €85m application against a high-net-worth individual.
- Representing Bank of Cyprus and Alpha Bank Cyprus, handling claims in excess of €200m.
- Representing a leading Russian bank in an action for damages of $21m for fraud, conspiracy and misappropriation of assets.
Gaston Hadjianastassiou heads the practice at Deloitte Legal | Hadjianastassiou, Ioannides LLC, which represents clients in a variety of sectors on mostly commercial disputes. It also advises on criminal, tax, intellectual property, competition matters, as well as on arbitration proceedings. Two key practitioners in this space, director Costas Philippou and partner Kypros Ioannides, both ‘stand out for their professionalism and their willingness and availability to assist on a 24/7 basis’. The 'impressive' Georgia Kakouri is another name to note.
”The team is extremely professional. Partner involvement is evident at all times.’
‘Invaluable, knowledgeable resource in providing support both during our day to day operations and also while representing us in front of courts or other public offices.’
‘Gaston Hadjianastassiou and Panayiota Papapetrou are both very knowledgeable, high-calibre professionals, who are always available to provide advice. They’re well organised, meticulous and diligent.’
‘Costas Philippou and Kypros Ioannides both stand out for their professionalism and their willingness and availability to assist on a 24/7 basis.’
‘Hadjianastasiou,Ioannides LLC’s dispute resolution team is truly outstanding.’
‘The practice comprises competent, diligent and resourceful individuals, who have both the professional persona and the work ethic to perform at highest level on a systematic basis.’
‘They are able to handle the most demanding assignments with calmness and thoroughness. They use an inquisitive mind that evaluates situations correctly and present credible strategies to the client.’
‘Kypros Ioannides is by far one of the best professionals in the field; would recommend him without hesitation for his expertise, knowledge, integrity and wisdom. Georgia Kakouri is also impressive with her dedication and top-level service.’
Abris Capital Partners
Albourne Partners (Cyprus) Limited
Alfa Capital Holdings (Cyprus) Limited
Allen & Overy LLP
Alpha Television Cyprus Limited
Astarti Development Plc
Ancoria Insurance Public Ltd
A. Panayides Contracting Limited
Aqua Sol Hotels Public Company Limited
Astra Self Drive Cars Limited
Astro Bank Ltd
Avia Capital Leasing (Cyprus) Limited
Baker Tilly Klitou & Partners
Bank of Cyprus
Bank of Scotland plc/ Lloyds Banking Group
Blom Bank S.A.L.
C&R Severis Estates Limited
CCHQ Services Limited
CEE Equity Partners
Chapo Farmakas Asphalt Limited
Char. Pilakoutas Group Limited
Charilaos Apostolides public company Limited
Chrigesa Constructions & Developments Limited
Citrus Gardens Development Ltd
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Commercial Estates Group Limited
D.H. Cyprotels plc
CSC Group Ltd
Cyproman Services Ltd
Demstar Automotive Limited
National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) Ltd
EXIUM Engineering Services Ltd
Farmakeftiki Organosis Kyprou Ltd
Forum Private School
GPA Vision Drive Ltd
GQS Services Limited
Headhunter Group plc
HLB Cyprus Ltd
HSB Engineering Insurance Ltd
ICC Intercertus Capital Limited
IQ-EQ (Cyprus) Limited (previously known as First Names Group)
J & A Philippou Architects Engineers E.P.E.
Lanitis Bros Limited (Coca cola Hellenic Group)
Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry of the Republic of Cyprus
Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Cyprus
New Nissan Cyprus Limited
Phoenicia Fereos Cyprus Limited
Playtech Services (Cyprus) Limited
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy Limited
Sinergatikos Organismos Paragogis Zootrofon Ltd
Sunwing Hotels (Cyprus) Limited
Takis Angelides Furnihome Limited
Trade Capital Markets (TCM) Ltd
- Acting for Abacus Limited in a number of freezing and disclosure orders.
- Representing Lite Venture Holdings in an action where the claimant was seeking a number of declaratory orders and damages for alleged forgery; an application to set aside has been filed.
- Advising a major commercial bank on independently evaluating its legal risk.
Chrysanthos Christoforou leads the team at Elias Neocleous & Co LLC, which frequently deals with the Cypriot aspects of large international disputes, especially in the banking and finance sector. Insolvency, asset tracing, and competition law are other key areas of strength. It is often instructed by leading international law firms on large disputes. It also represents a number of local clients, namely local financial institutions, insurance companies, investment firms, and construction companies. Nikos Korogiannakis, an experienced EU litigator, joined the firm to leads its new Belgian office. Costas Stamatiou is highly regarded, as is Nicolas Tsardellis.
‘Nicolas Tsardellis and George Tsardellis have demonstrated professionalism and commercial acumen.’
‘Christiana Pyrkotou is detailed and task-oriented. The rest of the team are very pragmatic.’
‘Very professional, collaborative and solution-driven approach to disputes.’
ACE European Group
Aegeon Insurance Company SA
Allianz Insurance Plc
Aphentrica Marine Insurance
Bank of Cyprus
Co-operative Central Bank
Cyprus Customs & Excise Authority
First Ukrainian Bank PJSC
Hellenic Bank PLC
Iron FX Global Limited
Leonidas Kimonos Services
Marquard & Bahls AG
Minerva Insurance Limited
Mizuho Bank, Ltd.
Municipality of Limassol
Municipality of Paphos
Otkritie Financial Corporation
Rainproof Holdings Limited
Sberbank Investments LLC
Societe Generale Bank Cyprus
- Represented a forex company in proceedings in Cyprus, in support of proceedings pending in the UK.
- Handled all disputed claims for Iron FX, a global forex trading company based in Cyprus.
- Acted for the shareholders of an online gaming company claiming cancellation of the share purchase agreement.
Led by the ‘very experienced’ George Mountis, the team at Dr K Chrysostomides & Co LLC has experience acting for clients before both Cypriot courts and various international arbitration courts and tribunals. It specialises in dealing with high-stake disputes in a number of spheres: commercial and corporate law litigation, namely shareholders' disputes, fraud, freezing and disclosure orders; banking and finance; intellectual property; employment; and competition. Victoria-Zoi Papagiannis and associate Dimitris Papapolyviou – who is ‘quick to master even the more difficult business-related subjects’ – are noted practitioners in Cyprus’ litigation space.
‘George Mountis is very experienced and has good expertise in law and court cases. Dimitris Papapolyviou is younger, but is quick to master even the more difficult business-related subjects.’
‘People of the firm are experienced in their field, they know the law and are ready to make the extra effort to accommodate the client. The pool of partners, with special regard to Dr. K. Chrysostomides, are internationally respected, they advise top quality international clients.’
‘Very responsive lawyers that go the extra mile for the client and are very creative.’
‘George Mountis is fantastic. He always comes up with a solution and the right angle to approach matters, no matter how difficult the case. The team has depth. I have worked with Georgia Chrysostomidou, Victoria Papagiannis, Niovi Petridou and Charis Christodoulou, and they are all excellent.’
‘Their main strengths are their knowledge of law in Cyprus, their professionalism in dealing with the issues, and generally the quality of service that they offer, from the environment in which they work to the finished product.’
Wargaming Group Ltd
Societe Generale Bank- Cyprus Ltd
Hellenic Petroleum Cyprus
Altamira Asset Management (Cyprus) Ltd
International Transit S.A.L.
ECE Projektmanagement International G.M.B.H.
Eshet Tourist Services Limited
KTK POLSKA SP. Z.o.o
Evonik UK Holdings
- Represented Amstel Exploitatie BV in a double derivative and multi-jurisdictional claim for fraud.
- Acted for the shareholders of Bank of Cyprus Public against the ‘bail-in’ measures imposed on Cyprus brought against the Republic of Cyprus, The Central Bank of Cyprus, the Restructuring Authority, the Special Administrator of the Cyprus Popular Bank Public Co and Cyprus Popular Bank Public Co regarding their implementation of the decisions of the Eurogroup, the European Central Bank, the European Commission, and the Council of the European Union, in connection with the ‘bail-in’ measures which were imposed in 2013.
- Representing International Transit S.A.L in recognition and enforcement proceedings in Cyprus concerning a $50m foreign arbitral award.
Soteris Pittas & Co L.L.C is ‘skillful in litigation and specialises in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial and corporate disputes’, demonstrating ‘an impressive expertise in negotiation and mediation’. The team is led by Soteris Pittas, who provides ‘comprehensive legal solutions in different fields of law such as arbitration, corporate and commercial litigation, banking and finance, and others.’ Associate Antonis Alexopoulos is another key practitioner.
‘The team have detailed knowledge of Cypriot law and litigation within Cypriot Courts. Always on hand to assist in a potential litigation case and providing a simple easy to understand analysis.’
‘Soteris Pittas is always on hand to assist and provide an in-depth analysis of a pending case, or a potential case. Evi Lamprou works alongside Soteris in assisting all cases.’
‘Soteris Pittas is a very creative lawyer who is willing to run difficult arguments often required in complex litigation in particular in order to obtain interim relief necessary to protect the client’s position.’
‘Soteris Pittas is incredibly open and friendly person who is pleasant to work with. He always tries to suggest a better option for the case, and is always emotionally and intellectually involved in solving the client’s problem.’
‘The team is skillful in litigation and specialises in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial and corporate disputes. Besides that, the team demonstrates an impressive expertise in negotiation and mediation.’
‘Soteris Pittas is a distinguished lawyer and a respectable team leader with an impressive expertise in a wide range of legal tasks for business. He provides a comprehensive legal solutions in different fields of law such as arbitration, corporate and commercial litigation, banking and finance and others.’
‘I have dealt with Antonis Alexopoulos on numerous occasions. I found him extremely efficient and knowledgeable. He went above and beyond to assist us (communicating out of office hours).’
Russian National Bank TRUST
A1 Investment Company
Kennedys Law LLP
Khrenov & Partners
PCB Litigation LLP
Field Fisher LLP
Signature Litigation LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills CIC LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bank of Cyprus Old
- Acting, together with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP’s London office, for a claimant in a conspiracy action against numerous local and foreign defendants for a claim for damages for $820m.
- Acting for a Cypriot shareholder of a large Russian bank in opposing and cancelling by a Certiorari order an anti-suit injunction obtained in Cyprus by another major shareholder in the Russian bank.
- Representing, together with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan’s LLP, London office, a creditor in a winding-up petition filed against a Cypriot debtor company, for a sum of $720m, due to cash flow insolvency and/or balance sheet insolvency.
A.G Erotocritou LLC’s main focus is handling applications for interim injunctive relief and the appointment of interim receivers, usually for international banks, financing institutions, investment firms, or multinational corporations. It receives a steady flow of such instructions from local and international law firms. Andreas Erotocritou heads the practice, which attracts praise for its ‘practical experience and knowledge of the various nuances of litigation both in Cyprus and in other countries’. Antreas Koualis was recently promoted to the partnership.
‘The team always took the initiative – warned about possible difficulties during court hearings; offered various options for solving a particular problem with a detailed description of the positive and negative sides of each option, anticipating our requests; directed us at difficult moments in litigation by giving valuable advice. Their practical experience and knowledge of the various nuances of litigation both in Cyprus and in other countries is impressive.’
‘Andreas and Alexis Erotocritou are excellent specialists, professionals. We believe the strengths of both representatives are the combination of strong theoretical background in the field of law and extensive practical experience, attentive attitude to the clients and their needs.’
‘Andreas Erotocritou is an excellent lawyer who is commercial in his outlook and who is creative in pushing the legal boundaries.’
‘As with banking, the dispute team of the firm is very strong. They have frequently large disputes for which we open client accounts via the bank as part of the litigation. They are very professional litigators with excellent reputations.’
‘Andreas Erotocritou and Antreas Koualis are two great litigators.’
‘Highly qualified dispute resolution team, which can react immediately to solve a problem. They have very good knowledge of Cyprus court proceedings and can propose effective protection strategy in any dispute.’
‘Andreas Erotocritiou is fantastic dispute resolution lawyer. Protection strategies proposed by Andreas were always correct and effective. Good knowledge of Cyprus law and court proceeding allows him to propose winning court strategies and we always feel secure when he handles our cases.’
Cyprus Shipping Association
Asia Pacific Bank (APB)
- Acting for the Cyprus Shipping Association in a claim against it and other entities, in which allegations of anti-competitive practices and fraud are raised.
- Acting for a group of Greek Cypriot nationalist guerrilla organisation (EOKA) veterans in initiating proceedings relating to the torture they suffered during the uprising against British rule in the 1950s.
- Acting for a major infrastructure investor in the oil and gas sector in its dispute over the licensing, set-up and operations of an offshore support platform, to be developed for the purposes of supporting the oil and gas drilling operations taking place in the exclusive economic zone of Cyprus.
The dispute resolution team at AGP Law Firm | A.G. Paphitis & Co. LLC focuses on representing foreign clients in commercial litigation. The practice handles a broad range of disputes, from interim prohibitory injunctions in the corporate sphere to defamation and family disputes. Practice head Angelos Paphitis ‘knows how to structure cases’. Fellow practice head, Eve Karaviotou is 'a very experienced and high calibre litigator’.
‘Angelos Paphitis and Stella Georgiadou both helped our company’s cases result in a great outcome. They are very professional with enhanced capabilities and very committed to us. They both are true leaders of litigation.’
‘The litigation team at AGP has been very accommodating, they know how to act in each situation as well as very responsive to queries. Angelos Paphitis has been a key contact to us and he has proved himself; I am very happy with how he has handled each case, and our synergism has been very good.’
‘They have a very strong litigation team with extensive knowledge, very good negotiation skills, and have a great teamwork attitude when compared with other firms. I am always keen to listen to them, to study legal opinions they issue for litigation strategies, to see them in meetings and of course to follow up with them in court. They are true litigators.’
‘Eve Karaviotou is a very experienced and a high calibrate litigator. ‘
‘I would recommend AGP Law dispute resolution team to any foreign company that looks for international standards in Cyprus.’
‘Our main point of contact was Mr. Angelos Paphitis who lead all the way, from structuring our claim, obtained prohibitory injunctions for our benefit, up until the very last day of settling the dispute with the defendants. He proved himself to us as being an excellent dispute resolution lawyers and very knowledgeable advocate.’
EMAS AMC Pte. Ltd
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Intelisoft Cy Limited
Akrin Holding GmbH
Mr. Aleksej Gubarev Webzilla Inc.
EMBRIA Ventures Group Ltd
Class Action (82 claimants)
The Heritage Private School Ltd
Bank of Cyprus PLC
Alpha Bank Cyprus Ltd
Hellenic Bank PLC
Rising City Holdings Ltd
- Represented a group of clients who have been awarded damages of €38m as victims of the BTC-e fraud whereby third parties’ criminal actions resulted in financial loss.
- Representing clients on the estate of a well-known Russian lady with significant assets in Cyprus, in relation to an alleged fraud.
- Acting for a client in a case relating to reputational damage.
Andreas Coucounis & Co LLC is particularly active in banking and finance-related disputes, in which it tends to act for domestic clients in locally significant mandates. Its client roster includes private companies and public bodies or banks. The firm also has a track record of handling disputes relating to intellectual property, employment, and real estate. Alexandros Coucounis and executive managing partner Tasos Coucounis are the two key contacts.
- Represented easyGroup in its filing of a a new lawsuit for trade mark infringement and passing off in Cyprus to protect its intellectual property rights against a local business.
- Represented Cyprus banks in debt recovery cases and provided legal opinion on various debt recovery cases.
- Acted for a Lebanese individual in his €18m claim and lawsuit against FBME Bank.
George Z. Georgiou & Associates LLC ‘provides a full service and has legal excellence across the board, making it a reliable go-to firm for advice’ in dispute resolution, with particular expertise in obtaining urgent cross-border interim orders. It acts in civil and commercial disputes in an array of sectors, in most courts and arbitral tribunals in Cyprus. ‘Outstanding litigator’ George Z Georgiou leads on the international work, while Andri Mitsigga spearheads the local department. Senior lawyer Romanos Loizides is a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is a safe pair of hands for Cyprus litigation with a good knowledge of the courts and how to win cases.’
‘George Georgiou himself is an outstanding litigator – he has good judgement as to what line is going to appeal to the Court and as to how to move forward in complex circumstances.’
‘Delivered truly outstanding service on a high profile multi-jurisdictional and cross-practice area matter.’
‘One of the biggest strengths of the firm is George Georgiou, who is also qualified as an English barrister so he understands the mind of an English lawyer and what an English judge is looking for – this shines through in the expert report provided to the English court on Cypriot law. He is also very commercial in his outlook.’
Chr. Hadjichristofi (Athienitis) Ltd
Renos Agrotis & Son Ltd
HMY Yudigar Hellas
- Representing a client in a claim against a bank and a card payment system concerning allegations of breach of contract, negligence and fraud.
- Initiated an administrative action on behalf of a client challenging a decision taken by the Ministry of Finance not to proceed with awarding the procurement for paper needs of the government to the client.
- Defending against an application before the District Court for liquidation of the client based on alleged oppression of minority rights. The team has successfully adjudicated the case leading to a final judgment dismissing the application.
The team at Scordis, Papapetrou & Co LLC receives a steady flow of instructions from UK firms on commercial disputes with a Cypriot element, in which there is usually at least one high-profile client involved. Freezing and disclosure orders tend to dominate the firm’s workload, but it is also praised for being a ‘fantastic firm’ in civil litigation. Constantinos Adamides and Alexandros Gavrielides are ‘a dynamic team' that bring an 'individual, creative and exciting approach to their cases that is often hard for opponents to deal with’. Managing partner Kyriacos Scordis and Christos Scordis are also noted.
‘We mostly value their practical approach, attention to detail, their deep knowledge of our company and its history, and the optimum application of this knowledge to each of our litigation cases.’
‘Penelope Papapetrou is a very experienced and skilled litigator, tough on opponents but accommodating and protective of her clients. Alexandros Gavrielides is unfazed by and thrives on complex cases and is impressive in action.’
‘Constantinos Adamides and Alexandros Gavrielides are great litigators.’
‘Constantinos Adamides and Alexandros Gavrielides are a dynamic team, with up to date knowledge of current legal landscape and impeccable knowledge of case facts. They bring individual, creative and exciting approach to their cases that is often hard for opponents to deal with.’
‘Constantinos Adamides is very bright, super creative, and, at the same time, he strictly follows the legal boundaries.’
‘Alexandros Gavrielides and Constantinos Adamides are our primary contact persons. They both have in-depth knowledge of law, ready to provide practical advice and always delivery on their promises.’
‘Kyriacos Scordis is the principal litigator in the firm. I have worked with him for ages, and he knows everything there is to know about dispute resolution in Cyprus.’
Logicom Public Limited
NewCytech Business Solutions Ltd
Demetra Investment Public Limited
BTA Bank of Kazakhstan
Parklane Hotels Limited
LLC Sberbank Capital (OJSC Sberbank of Russia)
MN Larnaca Desalination Co / MN Limassol Water Co. Ltd
Alexander Filippovich Shchukin
Mr Efthyvoulos Iacovides
Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited
Dmitry Tsvetkov, Elsina Khayrova
Atlas Pantou Co Limite
- Representing the two consortium companies, MN Larnaca Desalination Co. and MN Limassol Water Co., in numerous contractual and other disputes involving claims by the clients against the Water Development Department of the Ministry of Ministry of Agriculture of Cyprus totalling approx. €33m on the basis of two BOT contracts for two water desalination projects in Cyprus.
- Represented Alexander Filippovich Shchukin in a damages claim for the loss of his 50% proprietary interest in two Russian coal mines which at the material time were effectively held by Cypriot companies; the shares of which were in turn held by Cypriot trustees.
- Acting for Sberbank Group in a €202m dispute involving a claim by a Russian individual for the alleged loss of his shares in a Russian company engaged in quarrying operations.
STELIOS AMERICANOS & CO LLC
At STELIOS AMERICANOS & CO LLC, corporate litigation is the cornerstone work of the practice. Interim injunction proceedings and pre-emptive remedies are two areas of expertise. The firm deals with both local and international clients, and cases usually involve an international element. The team comprises ‘many young but knowledgeable individuals ready to think outside of the box'. Practice head Soteris Costa and senior associate Akis Koumas – a ‘very experienced litigator’ – are key contacts.
‘The team comprises many young but knowledgeable individuals ready to think outside of the box, utilizing the experience of the more senior lawyers, allowing the firm to produce the best possible results and suggest the best strategies for handling any kind of dispute.’
‘Akis Koumas, being one of the firm’s senior lawyers, is a very experienced litigator and his thoroughness can be impressive, but it is his high moral standards combined with his professionalism that make him stand out. Chrysanthi Epifaniou is one of the younger members of the firm but yet one of the most resourceful and eager to learn litigators adding significant value to the litigation team.’
Bank of Cyprus
Alfa Bank Ukraine
Arricano Real Estate PLC
KA Finanz AG
K. Athienitis Contractors Developers Public Ltd
Tashir Group of Companies
South Automobile Group LLC
Awendale Resources INC
Muscari Property S.A.
Avanen Holdings Ltd
- Representing Lymnifolk and its directors in a court action regarding conspiracy to defraud Glidefern together with its former partner, Erin Resources.
- Representing Astrasol in a group action against it for private nuisance caused by a certain chemical used at the client’s show factory.
- Acting for Arricano Real Estate in a dispute which arose after Stockman, as majority shareholder in a joint venture, misappropriated the assets of the joint venture, leading the minority shareholder to instigate several court proceedings aiming to protect the assets of the joint venture and its interests thereof.
Christodoulos G. Vassiliades & Co. LLC
Led by Christodoulos Clerides, the litigation department at Christodoulos G. Vassiliades & Co. LLC represents clients in insurance, product liability, banking, and corporate disputes. Associate Maria Kamari is also noted.
‘Christodoulos Clerides has deep rooted legal knowledge and specialism in relation to commercial law. Mr Clerides has built a strong team of lawyers around him, they work together in a cohesive unit bringing together a range of skills and experience.
‘Maria Kamari has tremendous attention to detail and is totally focused on deadlines.’
‘Christodoulos Clerides stands out due to his drive, determination and desire to achieve successful outcomes for his clients.’
- Acting for the Bank of Cyprus in numerous claims against debtors of the bank.
- Acting for approximately 50 British citizens, who purchased holiday houses in Cyprus, who had taken out mortgages in Swiss Francs from the Bank of Cyprus and had suffered significant losses due to the fact that the loans were taken out in Swiss Francs instead of the currency of their income.
Chryssafinis & Polyviou LLC
Jointly headed by Alexandros Tsirides and Photini Tsiride, the ‘client-oriented’ team at COSTAS TSIRIDES & CO LLC specialises in interim orders concerning high-value disputes. Acting for a wide range of different clients, including local businesses, municipalities and semi-state bodies and international companies, the firm is able to ‘understand the needs and demands of cross-border enforcement work’. Alexandros Tsirides handles local disputes and those with an international component. Angeliki Charalambides is also noted.
‘Alexander Tsirides is a very professional lawyer. Whenever I ask him for urgent advice, he is always very helpful.’
‘Everybody at Tsirides Law is distinguished by his/her excellent expertise, profound knowledge and client-oriented approach.’
‘Tsirides lawyers are outstanding litigators who puts the client’s interests above everything else.’
‘Tsirides litigation team is led by Alexandros Tsirides. He is not only excellent domestic trial lawyer, but also a reliable advisor who helped us to manage a number of complex litigation cases in different jurisdictions.’
‘They understand the needs and demands of cross-border enforcement work, often working to very tight deadlines, providing sound advice on what is and is not feasible and, most importantly, producing the right results.’
‘We have worked most closely with Alexandros Tsirides and Angeliki Charalambides. Both provide an excellent service – very responsive, helpful and user-friendly.’
Haviaras & Philippou L.L.C.
Haviaras & Philippou L.L.C. has a particular specialism in acting on disputes for domestic insurance companies. ‘Creative, fast, highly-experienced, flexible, and goal-oriented’, the firm also has expertise in interim orders and other corporate litigation matters. Managing partner Andreas Haviaras is ‘one of the most competent litigation lawyers’ in Cyprus, whose reputation stems from his ‘wide-experience in corporate litigation’.
‘They are very good on the law itself, but also very commercial and responsive.’
‘Andreas Haviaras is excellent and very easy to deal with.’
‘Andreas Haviaras and Lucas Haviaras are a great team combining the senior generation wisdom and heavy-weight court advocacy with the younger generation energy and proactive approach.’
‘Boutique family law firm with very good capabilities. Andreas Haviaras is a very competent and efficient litigator. I have worked with him many times and i have nothing but positive things to say about him and his firm.’
‘I believe that Andreas Haviaras is one of the most competent litigation lawyers with very good reputation among his peers. He was wide-experience in corporate litigation and a very practical mind.’
Trust Insurance co
Marathon Trading Ltd
Israel Land Development Malls and Shopping Centers Ltd
MEDIPOWER (Overseas) Public Co Limited
Aenias Hotels Ltd
AC Technometal Ltd
ARGUS stockbrokers LTD
Doms Cars Ltd
Alkis H. Hadjikyriacos (Frou-Frou Biscuits)
Meridien Hotels Ltd
Vassos Markides Estates Ltd
- Acted for a client on an ex parte basis in successfully obtaining a Mareva injunction in order to prevent the defendant from alienating any property which would be the subject of the claimant’s claim after the end of the whole process.
- Represented a client in obtaining an anti-suit injunction.
- Successfully opposed an interim order regulating the actions of a majority shareholder in a Russian bank
Papadopoulos, Lycourgos & Co LLC focuses on commercial, corporate and tax disputes. Freezing orders, injunctive relief, shareholder disputes, and contract disputes feature prominently in its caseload. Clients include domestic and international companies. Practice heads Dimitris Papadopoulos and Charis Papachristodoulou are the key names.
- Representing a client in a shareholder dispute concerning a disputed shareholder agreement spanning several jurisdictions, including Russia, the UK and the British Virgin Islands.
- Represented a client in a dispute against a bank in Russia including a freezing order concerning over €80m.
- Acted for the provisional receiver in heavily disputed liquidation proceedings against a leading insurance company in Cyprus.
‘Composed of well-trained lawyers’ who have developed ‘excellent experience in cross-border disputes', the team at Christos Georgiades & Associates LLC acts for clients in commercial, construction and corporate disputes. Led by the Agis Georgiades, who has ‘vast experience in international arbitration’, the team also represents clients in arbitration proceedings in Cyprus and abroad.
‘The team are all very courteous and professional, assisting us with advice and clarifications, whenever needed. Compared to some other legal firms, they seem to value their clients and deal with their unique issues.’
‘This is great dispute resolution firm. The team is composed of well-trained lawyers and has excellent experience in cross-border disputes.’
‘Agis Georgiades is a top litigator, with vast experience in international arbitration.’
Christos Patsalides L.L.C. handles a diverse range of disputes in areas such as banking and finance, family law, employment, contract claims, and defamation. The team, led by the highly regarded Constantinos Kokkinoftas, is praised for having a ‘very commercial and pragmatic approach which helps in effectively resolving disputes’.
‘The team has a very commercial and pragmatic approach which helps in effectively resolving disputes.’
‘Constantinos Kokkinoftas is always trying to provide solutions in a timely manner, usually going the extra mile in doing so.’
Bank of Cyprus
National Bank of Greece, (Cyprus)
Ekdotikos Oikos Dias Public Ltd
- Representing A.T. Multitech Corporation Ltd against the Republic of Cyprus in a compensation claim related to damages suffered as a result of being illegally excluded from a public competition.
- Defending publishing house Ekdotikos Oikos Dias Public against allegations of libel.
Led by Michael Kyriakides, the team at Harris Kyriakides LLC has considerable expertise in shareholder disputes, banking litigation, freezing injunctions, and other provisional or interim measures. Its client roster includes domestic and international clients in sectors including construction and real estate, banking and finance, insurance, and others. Myria Loizou is noted for her work on freezing injunctions.
A.J.K Bureau of Consultants
Petrolina Group of Companies
Cyprus Airports (F&B) Ltd
Bank of Cyprus Public Company Ltd
Larnaca Water Board
KINANIS LLC has a track record in domestic and international corporate and commercial litigation, and is particularly adept at dealing with interim injunctions: freezing orders, Norwich Pharmacal orders, and orders obtained in aid of arbitration proceedings. It primarily acts for international clients, including multinational corporations, investors, and banking institutions. Managing partner Christos Kinanis is a key contact.
P. N. Kourtellos & Associates LLC's practice handles commercial and corporate litigation, with notable expertise in banking and insolvency disputes. ‘Superb’ practice head Pavlos Neofytou Kourtellos has ‘a strong understanding of legal doctrine as well as an aptitude for strategic thinking’.
‘PNK is a law firm that specialises in commercial and corporate litigation. As far as my principal field of expertise is concerned, they have been pioneers in the adoption by Cyprus courts of ancillary orders such as Norwich Pharmacal, and a driving force behind Cyprus case law on anti-suit injunctions and trusts law.
‘Pavlos Kourtellos has a strong understanding of legal doctrine as well as an aptitude for strategic thinking. It has always been a pleasure to work with him and each time I look forward to our discussions relating to the drafting of a legal opinion or other consulting work.’
‘It is a small litigation boutique firm that is prepared to work with really complicated cases in a highly efficient manner.’
‘Pavlos Kourtellos is a superb advocate: focused, knowledgeable and innovative. He has a highly professional “thinking outside the box” approach to cases and is prepared to take forward very complex matters. Pavlos was supported by Soteria Christou, who proved to be highly intelligent, diligent, professional and a very good drafter.’
‘Pavlos Kourtellos is an exceptional lawyer who has a firm grasp of the law.’
Central Bank of Cyprus
Deposit Guarantee and Resolution of Credit and Other Institutions Scheme (DPS)
- Acted for shareholders of FBME Bank in the Bank’s ex parte application requesting a freezing injunction for an amount deposited with the Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Acted for the special administrator of FBME Bank in eight court actions filed on behalf of depositors requesting freezing and disclosure orders.
- Represented Estabol in obtaining a freezing order against Gazprombank and seven other legal entities, with respect to misappropriation of shares, breach of contract and enforcement of pledges over a Cyprus company and ultimately its Russian subsidiary.
Polakis Sarris & Co LLC largely focuses on corporate litigation, and is instructed by foreign and domestic clients. It recently acted for a group of investors regarding the selling of bonds at the now defunct Cyprus Popular Bank in a highly publicised, contentious matter. Yorgos Trillidis heads the practice.
- Acting for a client in a Norwich pharmacal order procedure.
- Representing a bank in numerous actions brought by Cypriot and non-Cypriot investors pursuant to the “haircut” of 2013 and the banks’ bonds issued in the years prior to its fall.
- Acted for the Cyprus Union of Publishers in a dispute with a Cypriot clipping company before the Protection of Competition Commission concerning an alleged abuse of a dominant market position.
PYRGOU VAKIS LAW FIRM
Though it is instructed in civil litigation matters, the ‘strong and supportive’ team at PYRGOU VAKIS LAW FIRM is particularly adept at acting for clients in financial disputes. Practice heads Despo Andreou and Demetris Vakis are the names to note.
‘Demetris Vakis and Stavros Charalambous are both exceptional professionals in their fields and have made us feel that we are in safe hands during this time.’
‘Pyrgou Vakis LLC have a very strong and supportive team that is always available to the client.’
‘Demetris Vakis and Nota Pelekanos always work together and provide the ideal legal team supporting me and my company at all times. What makes them different from other law firms is that they are always available to help, support, and reassure the client while making me feel special and protected.’
Bank of Cyprus Public Co Ltd
Airtrans Group Ltd
Societe Generale Bank– Cyprus Limited
Marinopoulos Coffee Company Cyprus Ltd
CCHQ Services Limited
A.I Motokinisi Limited
Zeton Investments Ltd
T.C.N. Holding Company
High Q Consulting Ltd
- Represented Petro Dyminskiy and others in a case where it is alleged the claimant was the victim of fraud and/or conspiracy.
- Representing the Bank of Cyprus in more than 500 litigation cases – actions taken on behalf of the bank as well as defending the bank, involving loans immovable and movable property, as well as other interim procedures.
- Acted for A.I. Motokinisi on a breach of data protection policy within the company and the alleged theft of sensitive information.
‘This practice shows exceptional care and is there when one calls, ready to listen and discuss the problems and progress of the case, always lending a sympathetic ear.’
‘The thing that makes Stelios Stylianides and CO LLC unique, is their personal approach. They are always ready to provide any kind of support and advice in any kind of dispute resolution.’
Slater & Gordon
Roussos Group of Companies
The Municipality of Limassol
Costas Athanassiou Group of Companies
SGI Legal LLP
- Representing four claimants against the current owners of a plot of land on a beach to the eastern part of Limassol concerning a multi-storey building.
- Represented a client in an €880,000 claim for recovering debts owed to them by two car dealers.
- Defending a client in a claim for compensation caused by flooding, alleged to be the result of an insufficient sewerage system.