Antis Triantafyllides & Sons LLC has a stellar reputation across a wide range of disputes. With George Triantafyllides at the helm, the first-rate group represents clients in proceedings before all the national courts and tribunals. In addition, it has expertise in domestic and international arbitration proceedings. The group is vastly experienced in interim order applications, Norwich Pharmacal orders and all other types of disclosure orders, as well as freezing orders. It handles a vast array of cases before the district courts all the way to the Supreme Court of Cyprus. In addition, it regularly advises on claims before other tribunals such as the Employment Tribunal, the Rent Tribunal and the Tenders Review Authority, as well as the Commission for the Protection of Competition. Associate Theodoros Economou is also well-regarded.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC
Our Top Tier Dispute Resolution practice is the largest and most experienced department of the firm. As one of the leading departments in Cyprus, it is renowned for delivering exceptional service to clients. Senior & Managing Partner, Stavros Pavlou is an Elite Leading Individual in Cyprus and praised for his “very deep knowledge of the …View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Cyprus
Other key lawyers:
‘The decision to cooperate with this firm stems from its ability to deal with complex legal matters reliably and with the utmost high professional standards.‘
‘I have worked and I am still cooperating with the firm’s senior partner Mr. George Triantafyllides, who is undoubtedly regarded as one of the top lawyers in Cyprus. I would most definitely recommend him for any dispute resolution.’
‘The services provided by this firm are undoubtedly of the highest professional and ethical standards and whenever requested by any person in need of legal representation or advice to recommend a legal firm, I always feel secure to refer them to Antis Triantafyllides & Sons LLC.‘
Public Joint Stock Company “PrivatBank”
Hellenic Bank Public Company Ltd
Google Inc. and Google LLC
Motor Oil (Hellas) Corinth Refineries S.A.
Hennes & Mauritz AB
Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission
S & T Equity (Overseas) Limited
VTB Bank Group of companies
Public Joint Stock Company “Bank Credit DNEPR”
- Filed an action against a major international accountancy practice for $3bn for breach of statutory, contractual and fiduciary duties and responsibilities primarily in auditing financial statements and negligence.
- Represented CPI FIM S.A. (formerly ORCO PROPERTY GROUP S.A.) in an application against SURMENA ENTERPRISES COMPANY LIMITED in order to register and enforce in Cyprus a LCIA award issued in favour of its clients for the amount of €36,187,845 plus interest. In the context of the recognition application the firm managed to get a worldwide ex parte freezing injunction against SURMENA ENTERPRISES COMPANY LIMITED up to €62,165,953.30 pending the adjudication of the recognition application and/or the enforcement of the arbitral award in Cyprus.
Chrysostomides Advocates & Legal Consultants‘ team is skilled at handling high-value and complex cases before the Cyprus courts and at various international arbitrations, courts and tribunals. Its work spans a number of areas, such as cases involving fraud and conspiracy claims, as well as tech and IP litigation. Other strengths include trusts litigation, advice on the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments/arbitration awards and winding-up applications. The group also advises on banking disputes. It receives plaudits too for its work on significant constitutional and administrative law matters and frequently advises on preliminary rulings and judicial proceedings before the ECJ. George Mountis heads up the group, which includes Victoria-Zoi Papagiannis and Dimitris Papapolyviou .
‘This firm provides unrivalled expertise and expertise in international dispute resolution throughout commercial and investment law. It is one of the very top firms in Cyprus in commercial, regulatory and European Union law. There is a high level of engagement from senior partners in all aspects of the cases handled. It is the go to firm in Cyprus.’
‘I have dealt with lawyers of the firm at all levels of seniority in several cases. They have instructed me in several cases before the Court of Justice of the EU and the European Court of Human Rights, mostly in business disputes. They are highly professional and responsive. They have a very high level of competence and excellent judgment. Victoria Papagiannis is a first-class lawyer, highly knowledgeable and ultra efficient.’
‘A litigation team with depth. Works great together, very responsive and very efficient.’
‘George Mountis is a top litigator in Cyprus. He has excellent strategic thinking and can move quickly and effectively when the circumstances require it. Victoria Papagiannis is very responsive and has excellent knowledge of the details of a case. Dimitris Papapolyviou is reliable and very competent.’
‘The firm provides outstanding and excellent levels of service. It is a well-established leading Cyprus law firm offering professional legal services and business solutions. Dealing with Crysostomides Law Firm, I have felt the difference in professionalism (compared to other firms) but also in approach. You feel that you are not just a ‘customer’. They have the ability to create concrete relationships.’
‘I worked closely with George Mountis who is an excellent strategist, having knowledge and experience in many areas of law. He is an excellent choice for complex cases and a great fun to work with! Through our cooperation I have met many other associates of the firm where everybody was willing to assist and support my case.’
Wargaming Group Limited
G.Paraskevaides (1966) Ltd
Avena Nordic Grain
Amstel Exploitatie BV, Netherlands
Altamira Asset Management (Cyprus) Ltd
Hellenic Petroleum Group
ECE Projektmanagement International G.m.b.H.
Societe Generale Bank – Cyprus Ltd
Housing Finance Corporation
Deloitte Central Europe Ltd
POKKA PTE Ltd
- Filed an action for the shareholders of the Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited against the ‘bail-in’ measures imposed in the Republic of Cyprus back in 2013, against the Republic of Cyprus itself and the main national authorities or players involved, valued at €1bn.
- Successful in obtaining the issuing of a pan-European interim injunction in a case of infringement of European Trade Marks (EUTMs) for the first time by a court in the Republic of Cyprus, prohibiting a competitor of its client (Wargaming.net Limited; Wargaming Group Limited) from using anywhere within the European Union, in relation to the specific products covered by its clients’ EUTM registrations, signs that are identical with and/or confusingly similar to their EUTMs.
- Representing Amstel Exploitatie BV in a complex multijurisdictional €100m fraud case.
Chrysses Demetriades & Co Law Office's team provides ‘services of the highest standards’ and is adept at handling local and international disputes. Demetris Araouzos leads the group, which acts for leading Cypriot corporates across all areas of civil and commercial law, as well as administrative cases. Its advocates are regularly instructed to appear in appeals before the Supreme Court and the group also has a wealth of experience of handling cases with an international dimension (particularly those involving parallel proceedings in another jurisdiction). The practice frequently advises on freezing injunctions and is often instructed in arbitrations. Katia Kakoulli is another prominent member of the team.
‘The trade mark feature of Chrysses Demetriades is the very close and efficient cooperation between practices, being able to provide immediately high profile advice on virtually any specific legal issue that may arise in the course of the dispute. The firm is also very well versed in dealing with state agencies at various levels.’
‘Katia Kakoulli is an excellent disputes partner, with very thorough strategic thinking and an ability to handle a number of issues or even claims simultaneously without a disproportionate increase in costs.’
‘The provision of high quality litigation services. Always meet the deadlines; exceptional team of professionals. Experts in their fields who are passionate in assisting their clients.’
‘We would like to point out that the personal contribution/engagement of Mrs Charis Agapiou is playing an essential role in managing, overcoming and resolving numerous legal issues. Her more than 20 years’ experience, the dedication, the constant communication with the bank about the development of each case and the thorough review of all related facts make the team different from their competitors.’
‘Demetris came highly recommended and has not disappointed in our dealings with him to date. He is leading a complex corporate dispute and works with an unparalleled knowledge of litigation providing always the wise solution. He is available at any time and shows a great empathy and infinite patience with our concerns and an understanding of our needs, although some of our requests were very demanding . He is a pragmatic professional with a solid knowledge of the law and impressive negotiation skills.’
‘Demetris Araouzos and Polyvios Panayiades are both excellent litigators; considered and strategic in their approach, building excellent rapport with clients.’
‘Personal touch – constant communication – always available to either talk over the phone or meet in person. That alone is a major advantage especially within our market. Professionalism at all levels and the peoples’ analytical skills.’
‘Each member of the team is specialised in a specific aspect of the law. Katia Kakoulli and Polyvios Panayides have top professional skills and pay attention to each and every case and to the detail.’
Elias Neocleous & Co LLC has a strong litigation and dispute resolution department, which handles a high volume of complex cases. It is skilled at advising on significant disputes in the banking and finance sector, in addition to insolvency and competition matters. The group is also recommended for its work on asset tracing cases. Elsewhere, the group works with the corporate and M&A department to review pending litigation and disputes arising from large cross-border transactions. Beyond undertaking litigation, the practice is also increasingly involved in international arbitration proceedings. Among the names to note are Chrysanthos Christoforou, Costas Stamatiou and Nicolas Tsardellis. George Tsardellis is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fully committed team, engaging dynamically with the company and adding real value. A distinctive characteristic is the capacity of proactively coming up with acceptable solutions while defending at the same time the rights and position of its clients.’
‘The lawyers really understand our needs and our cases, and have a practical and effective approach. They define clear strategies from the outset. The level of commitment the lawyers had to the cases was huge; they are absolutely tireless workers and are completely hands-on.’
‘The firm’s DR practice is highly professional and powerful team of recognised legal specialists. They showed outstanding market understanding. Their client-oriented approach and perseverance definitely helped to solve different issues and to gain the best results.’
‘We worked with Chrysanthos Chrisoforou. Chrysanthos is very skilled in cross-border disputes, fast in his feedback on any work item and builds strong cooperation inside the project team. He was definitely the right choice for multijurisdictional disputes.’
Bank of Cyprus
Altamira Asset Management Limited
APS Holding a.s
Intel Capital Corp
Notesco Financial Services Limited
CYREIT Property Fund
Hellenic Bank Public Company Limited
Jordan Kuwait Bank
Prodea Investments Limited
Iron FX Global Limited
Gordian Holdings Limited
Aphrodite Hills Resort
ACE European Group
- Advising and assisting an international investment partnership, in prosecuting various proceedings in Cyprus, and coordinating proceedings in several other jurisdictions, seeking to recover in excess of €650m of assets and property alleged to have been defrauded and misappropriated from the client.
- Represented an international joint venture in administrative proceedings challenging the award of Concession Agreements for the provision of Intercity Public Transport Services.
- Advised a prominent gynaecologist on the defence of a medical negligence claim brought against him in which it was alleged his actions during the prenatal treatment of the mother and at the birth, caused severe disabilities, cerebral and physical injuries to the baby.
Ioannides Demetriou LLC‘s team is ‘very knowledgeable, experienced and responsive’. It is renowned for its expertise in both international and local commercial litigation, banking, financial and corporate disputes, in addition to public and administrative law cases. It also assists clients with disputes before the Tender Review Authority and the Committee for the Protection of Competition. In addition, the versatile group provides the full range of arbitration and ADR services. Major clients include foreign governments and private clients. Key members of the team are Pambos Ioannides, Andrew Demetriou and Christos Frakalas . Other prominent members of the team ‘who work together to produce the best results for the client’ are Theo Demetriou, Demetris Kronides and Savvas Yiordamlis.
Other key lawyers:
‘The uniqueness of Mr Andrew Demetriou comes from his deep knowledge on the matter of dispute resolution and his ability to substantiate all of his thoughts and ideas during any conversation with his client.’
‘I work predominantly with Andrew Demetriou, Theo Demetriou and Christos Frakalas. Andrew is the name in the dispute resolution team in Cyprus who delivers very practical advice on the basis of very deep knowledge of Cyprus law and his experience. Theo is a younger generation partner being proactive and very responsive. Chris is a lawyer who always understands your needs. You would always wish to retain this kind of a lawyer.’
‘The team is very responsive, they put a lot of effort into servicing their clients and offering high quality legal advice. The individuals who I am working with are always on top of things, they are always available no matter what the time is and the fees they charge are reasonable and reflect the hours that they dedicate.’
‘Not only are they extremely professional, but they sincerely took care of my interests by proposing the best and most economical solutions, and finally being able to deliver successfully in every single one. The team was on time every time a deadline was set with continuous communication when needed. The billing was correct, and well elaborated. Our collaboration has been exemplary.’
‘ They are a customer friendly law firm and they are highly professional and well experienced solving our queries promptly and efficiently. They are highly professional, well experienced, keen to be of any assistance, and give efficient and prompt solutions to our queries and problems. Their work reflects their in-depth expert knowledge and experience.’
‘The firm is characterised by its high level of services and responsiveness. The calibre of the partners and directors of the firm stands out. It is a trustworthy firm having the ability to deliver results with professionalism, integrity and efficiency. Mr Pambos Ioannides is a remarkable professional with an incredible depth of experience and intellect who understands our business needs. He provides high quality practical and innovative advice and is always available to assist in urgent matters.’
‘Our firm has a long-standing relationship with Ioannides Demetriou, who handled litigation issues in Cyprus. Andrew Demetriou and Demetris Kronides are business-oriented attorneys with exceptional negotiating and analytical skills.’
‘Savvas Yiordamlis is an outstanding lawyer. He is always very thorough in analysing the law, the legal procedure and the options available and the best course of action. He works extremely hard and with diligence in achieving the desired result for the client and is always prompt in addressing all issues within deadlines. A humane and creative way of thinking is what makes the individuals stand out.’
Ilyashev & Partners
KInstellar law firm
Cosmos Insurance Company Public Limited
Electricity Authority of Cyprus
Hermes Airports Ltd
NKS Shacolas Group
Petrolina Holdings Public Co Ltd
CNP Cyprus Insurance Holdings Ltd
Lois Builders Ltd
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Medcon Constructions Ltd
Eurobank Cyprus Ltd
Hellenic Bank Public Co Ltd
Paphos Sewerage Board
- Advised Nicos K. Shacolas on a dispute resolution claim for debt, acting for defendant in the retrial of a 1976 action before Nicosia District Court after having successfully defended the defendant at the first hearing in 1999-2002 (over 300 sittings). The retrial of the case (which is the oldest running case in Cyprus) took over 80 sittings between January 2019 and August 2020 and resulted in the rejection of the plaintiff’s claim in its entirety.
- Advised in the Providencia Case – Alexander Zakharov, Vradimir Zakharov, Armen Davidyan – a very high-profile case frequently referred to in the local newspapers, concerning disputes and court proceedings on trusts/finance and corporate matters relating to properties mainly consisting of high value estate development in Moscow.
- Acting for Petrolina Holdings Public Ltd in a recourse filed before the Administrative Court challenging a decision of the Committee for the Protection of Competition taken in 2017, whereby the company was found in breach of the Competition Rules and a fine of £4m was imposed on it. Very interesting case from a legal point of view, touching upon the Committee’s power to carry out investigations for possible violation of the law.
Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC has a ‘professional, customer-focused and solutions-driven team’, which provides ‘clear and simple advice’ under the leadership of Menelaos Kyprianou and Marina Hadjisoteriou. With the firm having offices in other jurisdictions, including Greece, Malta and Ukraine, it is well-equipped to handle high-value disputes with an international dimension. The Cyprus-based team is trusted by key insurance and banking institutions and also has a growing practice supporting clients in the healthcare and transportation sectors. In addition, it continues to receive instructions from major international law firms. The group frequently advises on disputes relating to crypto-currency trading and all aspects of shareholder disputes and breach of fiduciary claims. Another recent highlight was the promotion of Christos Galanos to the partnership. Constantina Zantira is also recommended. Overall it is an ‘exceptional team that is agile, experienced and creative‘.
‘Very strong goal-oriented team with a flexible approach to international asset recovery cases and related matters. Marina Hadjisoteriou is brilliant with case management, out of box solutions and always available to advise on urgent matters. Constantina Zantira is very proactive and highly efficient in dealing with complex litigation.’
‘The communication is excellent, Christos Galanos, our primary contact in the firm was extraordinarily active. The firm provided very precise, very timely advice on a very complex set of litigations in a perfect manner, going beyond our expectations. Costs were very transparent, which immensely helped with budgeting. Christos Galanos is an exceptional litigator, very precise, but also very creative which is necessary when encountering extraordinary issues, as was our case.’
‘The lawyers are experts in developing legal strategy and working together with large, international project teams to deliver cross-border asset recovery assignments. They are tenacious and able to maximise the tools available to them under Cyprus law. They deploy these to achieve an enhanced result for the wider project. You want them in your corner.’
‘I have found that Michael Kyprianou provides clear advice and useful options which may not have previously been considered. I have worked with Marina Hadjisoteriou, who provides clear advice and a range of options for consideration, giving the merits and drawbacks of each so we can fully consider our options.’
‘‘They are a very tight knit team. I have worked with them on a very complex case: they did perfectly well and secured the result which was needed for the client. Happy to praise them as much as I can.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou – she is so good that even Cypriot lawyers who worked on the opposite side acknowledged how strong she is. Efficient when it comes to client work and very active in business development. She is among the Cypriot lawyers who are well known outside Cyprus. Constantina Zantira – enjoyed working with her on a big and complex litigation. She was not afraid of long hours. She did so well that the opponent of our clients had to come up with the settlement proposal.’
‘I very much appreciated their skill to guide us through the intricacies of Cypriot law, in particular in relation to the court procedure, which is quite difficult for foreign lawyers to navigate. Working with them feels like being in safe hands.’
‘Marina Hadjisoteriou provides excellent client service. Constantly available, fully committed to the client’s matter and enjoying great respect in the Cypriot legal community, she is a lawyer to-go to with any dispute resolution matters in Cyprus. Constantina Zantira is a very bright rising star. She is very hardworking and with great attention to details.’
The Libra Group of Companies
- Advised a client, a platform providing taxi services around the world, on damages claims for breach of fiduciary duties, dishonest assistance, conspiracy, fraud and unjust enrichment against one of its ultimate beneficial owners and a director, for setting up a competitor company, thereby causing damages to the client that are estimated to exceed $2bn.
- Provided an expert report on Cyprus law matters in the context of a potential claim in the Royal Court of Jersey by a well-known Ukrainian Bank arising out of, inter alia, allegedly sham loans made under the influence and the direction of the former UBOs of the Bank.
- Successfully registered in Cyprus, on behalf of a renowned businessman in the diamond industry, an ICC award of circa $7m that was issued against a former business partner of his and has also secured a freezing order in relation to his assets up to the period until the full satisfaction of the ICC award.
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC‘s ‘very knowledgeable, innovative and efficient’ team has a wealth of experience handling conventional and alternative forms of dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation of international and domestic disputes. Its roster of clients includes public and private sector companies, multinational corporates, banks, financial institutions and entrepreneurs. Senior and managing partner Stavros Pavlou is recognised as one of the most prominent litigators and arbitrators on the island and is variously described as a ‘star’ and an ‘experienced problem solver’. Chrysostomos Nicolaou and Stella Louka Pavlou are also highly regarded. Theodoros Symeonides and Katerina Philippidou were promoted to the partnership. The group routinely handles the full array of contentious issues from complex shareholder disputes to obtaining ancillary relief as part of international litigation or arbitrations. Eleana Christofi is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great experience on corporate and trust law, hardworking staff and delivers effectively on the case or work assigned to them. The partners are available to serve, they are smart, honest and hard workers. Passionate and helpful.’
‘The efficiency, speed and good quality of work are only some of the strengths of the team at Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC. The team is reliable and capable of handling the most complex cases and achieving the best results for its clients. The use of technology is excellent and the billing system is very thorough and transparent.’
‘Mr Stavros Pavlou is an asset to the company. He is dedicated and very responsive. He is a very skilful litigator (one of the best in Cyprus). His approach to the court, clients, colleagues and opponents is excellent. He has a very strategic approach to solving all matters arising of the cases he is handling.’
‘Stavros Pavlou is a great professional with immediate reactions on complex matters. Mr Stavros Pavlou (Partner) is playing a pivotal role in overcoming and resolving several complicated legal issues in a timely manner. Mrs Stella Pavlou is also very dedicated, very experienced and helpful. Moreover we would like to point out that the law office is one of the leading and most prominent law firms.’
‘We chose to work with Patrikios Pavlou, due to their skills and distinguished expertise, good grasp of details and capacity to work on and handle complex corporate, commercial and criminal matters. Our primary contact is Mr. Stavros Pavlou – the firm’s Senior and Managing partner. Stavros is truly the star and one of the best litigators in Cyprus. While working along with Stavros you do appreciate his sharp mind, legal expertise and wit.‘
‘The firm promotes diversity (gender, age, background, skillset) and new talent, is innovative, has a very responsive and client-oriented approach, has proven itself to be flexible and resilient even during the Covid pandemic, and continues to provide top quality services to its broad spectrum of clients.‘
‘Mr Stavros Pavlou and Mr Chrysostomos Nicolaou are who I consider to be the best lawyers in Cyprus. They are true legal experts, extremely talented and possess strong ethical values.’
‘Great communication skills, ability to explain things simply and adopt a straightforward cost structure. Diverse team with an international perspective. Deep understanding of the need for amicable dispute resolution. Stavros Pavlou is among those rare persons in dispute resolution who, when you have him on your side, you know in advance that the outcome will be positive. When you have him against you, it’s going to be a tough but a professional affair. When you have him as an arbitrator, the result will be fairer than a court.’
VTB Bank OAO
Bank of Moscow
Alpha Bank Cyprus Ltd
Alpha Bank Greece
Bank of Cyprus PLC
Several companies undergoing liquidations
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Mishcon de Reya LLP
Alimirzoev & Trofimov
- Representing before the Courts of Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) a wealthy Moldavian individual who claims that the defendants conspired so as to fraudulently deprive her of her assets and cause her financial damage worth of EUR 48m, while in reality, those assets were owned by third persons, not as trustees for the plaintiff, but in their personal capacity.
- Acting for the government of an EU state in a registration in Cyprus for the first time of an ICSID award in favour of the said government.
- Representing a Cypriot company in enforcement proceedings of an LCIA Arbitral award of the amount of EUR50m, issued in favour of its client. The Arbitral proceedings regarded the breach of a Call Option Agreement by the respondents, which regarded the shares of one of the fifty fastest-growing companies in Russia. Further to a challenge promoted by the other side abroad, a corrected award has been re-issued by the arbitral tribunal and the firm has managed to secure the issue of new revised freezing orders achieving the continuous protections of the interests of its client from the dissipation of assets.
A.G Erotocritou LLC is ‘outstanding- it provides a service that can only be found in the elite and top firms’. Praised also for its ability to find ‘tailor made solutions’, the team regularly handles a multitude of complex and high-value corporate and commercial disputes, including those involving worldwide injunctive relief orders. It has become the ‘go to’ counsel for a number of major international firms and is often hired by local and international banks to assist with asset-tracing and recovery matters. The practice is led by ‘first-class lawyer‘ Andreas Erotocritou, who has frequently acted as an expert in international disputes and has opined on matters of Cyprus law in international arbitrations and court proceedings in foreign courts.
‘Prompt response to requests for service, thorough knowledge of laws and court procedures, advance provision of written submissions for review and comment by clients, open to acceptance of and incorporation of clients comments in the submission if correct and relevant. Fee charges reasonable and competitive with other law firms. Up to date digital innovations applied.‘
‘Andreas Erotocritou is available 24/7. Also Antreas Koualis takes matters personally until resolution.’
‘A.G. Erotocritou LLC provides legal services of outstanding quality. With a primary focus on cross-border commercial litigation, banking and finance, restructuring and insolvency, real estate, data protection and shipping the firm offers legal representation and provides efficient, practical legal advice of the highest international standards, tailored to meet the clients’ specific needs. A team of young, highly motivated qualified professionals demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills and offer high-level legal advice.‘
‘Andreas Erotocritou is one of the best lawyers I have ever worked with. Working with Erotocritou is similar to working with a London firm… but in Limassol.’
‘Andreas Erotocritou. He is really the driving force for the firm’s dispute resolution practice. Andreas is extremely hardworking: I personally saw him packing a litigation bag of case bundles for the weekend!’
‘AG Erotocritou is probably the most reliable team and extremely prompt in dealing with all of our issues. They won a very complex IP case and also all litigation cases they handled for us. The team has huge depth and knowledge of corporate and commercial disputes and they are very experienced in these kinds of cases. The team is well known for interim orders and has a reputation as a market leader in such matters. They have a specialised team. Their billing is acceptable and at normal rates.’
‘Andreas Erotocritou is a true leader and one of the best lawyers we have ever worked with. He guides the team and inspires young lawyers. He has managed for our group to win some very difficult and complex cases and his responsiveness, innovative skills, persuasive charisma and high ethics, render him our preferred counsel. We were impressed also by Antreas Koualis, Irena Markitani and Elina Nicolaidou, all of whom have been of great help to our group.’
‘They are always available and always trying to find the best solutions. Creative, knowledgeable, responsive, commercial lawyers who focus on providing solutions to difficult issues. The best in Cyprus. Andreas Erotocritou is an exceptional lawyer who is ably assisted by Antreas Koualis and Ioanna Michael.’
Primetel PLC (Cyprus)
Nostira Renewable Energy (Mediterranean Region)
Fluence Corporation (Israel)
OilTank Engineering & Consulting Ltd
Quantum Pacific Group (Global)
- Acting in a high value complex dispute exceeding $260m between a leading bank in Russia and its former owners – who were, up to 2017, listed as two of Russia’s richest men, according to Forbes – and their spouses, in a claim exceeding €260m filed in Cyprus, which was raised in parallel to the several proceedings and bankruptcy applications filed in Russia and England.
- Acted for a venture capital investor in a shareholders’ dispute between the shareholders of the Cyprus holding company of a leading Russian operating company (one of the market leaders in its sector). Two sets of substantive proceedings were raised in Cyprus and injunctive relief was secured in that context. In November 2020, the Cyprus Court has appointed an Interim Receiver over the relevant group of companies, with a view to protecting the Group’s underlying assets in Russia. Following the defendant’s failure to comply with the receivership order, the firm has secured an ‘unless order’ which is a novel decision under Cyprus law. The case is considered landmark, as the Court has issued an ‘unless order’ prohibiting the defendants from defending the proceedings, unless they comply with the receivership order. The underlying assets exceed €50m.
- Acted for the former spouse of an Azerbaijani-Russian billionaire, who is a leading name in the oil and gas sector, in the context of the largest biggest matrimonial dispute ever to be ruled in England, through the enforcement of the £450m maintenance award of the English Court in Cyprus by a Court-appointed receiver over a Cyprus holding company controlling valuable assets in Russia, with a view to enforcing an English judgment over those assets, through Cyprus. The high-profile dispute was eventually settled in July 2021, the matter has attracted wide press coverage.
The ‘very professional’ and ‘responsive’ team at Andreas Coucounis & Co LLC has been busy advising on a broad array of cases. It has provided advice to numerous Russian and Ukrainian law firms on the enforcement of final arbitration awards, as well as on freezing injunctions. The practice has also advised on the appointment of interim receivers for Cypriot companies. Also notable is that, in 2021, it was retained by numerous UK law firms to provide expert reports on Cyprus law on a broad range of issues from personal injury claims to admiralty disputes. The head of the team is Tasos Coucounis. Alexandros Coucounis is another key practitioner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tasos and his team are always available to discuss our case and update us when necessary. Tasos is exceptional and has even worked on our case outside office hours on a bank holiday.’
‘Andreas Coucounis has provided me with first-class expert legal advice, giving me a huge depth of talent (when someone is away the team seamlessly picks up my case and continues to progress the matter). They offer informative and innovative solutions to my ongoing disputes. Their responsiveness is incredible backed by their legal insight into how the legal process will work. Frankly I haven’t come across another firm that is able to offer this to me.’
‘The team members are professional and always eager to help and offer advice. Alexandros and Tasos Coucounis are readily accessible, listen to our concerns and find solutions to our issues. The support and clerical staff are friendly, pleasant and eager to help.‘
‘The team provides clear and informative advice. They always focus on the main points and always have a clear understanding of the commercial realities of the case. Overall, working with them has been a positive experience. We were in touch with the partner Alexandros Coucounis. He has provided excellent advice and was always highly responsive despite his busy schedule.‘
‘Very clever team. Easy to reach and ready to help and provide appropriate advice in every situation. They try to do their best to provide the client with as many options of legal assistance as they need to make a correct decision.‘
‘Reliable, responsive and yet always well considered. Alexandros Coucounis has provided great analysis under significant pressure and secured strong results.‘
‘They are very professional, polite, well organised and our cooperation is very good. They have deep knowledge.‘
‘My dealings have been mainly with Mr Tasos Coucounis over the whole period. He has been professional, reliable, robust when appropriate and available when needed – unlike my previous experience with other firms. Now that we have had the court’s decision in our favour his advice over a decade has proven to be correct and fair and professional.’
Gazprom Neft PJSC
Deputy Ministry of Tourism of Cyprus
General Attorney of the Republic
Larnaca Sewerage and Drainage Board
Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited
Hellenic Bank Public Company Ltd
Themis Portfolio Management Holdings Limited
Gordian Holdings Limited
APS Debt Servicing Cyprus Ltd
Hellenic Technical Enterprises Limited
General Insurance Cyprus Ltd
Pancyprian Insurance Company Ltd
Trust International Insurance Company (Cyprus) Ltd
Commercial General Insurance Limited
Cyprus Hire and Rejected Risks Pool
Altamira Asset Management (Cyprus) Ltd
Cyprus Company of Management of Property Assets Ltd (KEDIPES)
B2Kapital Cyprus Ltd
Provident Fund of Pilots and Flying Mechanics of Cyprus Airways Ltd
S.H. GOREN MANAGEMENT & INNOVATION LTD
Seymour Emporio Ltd Rainelle Limited
DJ & DJ LTD
ZT3 IMAGE LIMITED
ALDO CYPRUS LTD
GROUPE PARTOUCHE SA
- The firm has been retained over many decades by the Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited in numerous banking litigation cases which it has carried out with significant success, including filing debt recovery lawsuits, initiating repossessions of immovable property, assisting service of new foreclosure notices by obtaining court orders for substituted service, filing liquidation proceedings against debtor companies as well as defending application/appeals to suspend foreclosure proceedings.
- The firm has been retained over many decades by the Deputy Ministry of Tourism of Cyprus (formerly Cyprus Tourist Organization) to prosecute and represent the Ministry in many civil and criminal cases against restaurants, bars, taverns, night clubs and other entertainment providers for their non-compliance with the relevant licencing and operational regulations and owners of boats, yachts and other and leisure vessels for their failure to pay berthage charges to Larnaca Marina and for assaults committed against public officers and for trespass committed in Larnaca Marina.
The ‘reliable’ team at Deloitte Legal | Hadjianastassiou, Ioannides LLC is praised for its ‘very professional attitude’. It advises various global and local clients on matters ranging in scope from criminal and administrative disputes to intellectual property, environmental and employment cases. Other areas of activity include contentious construction, tax, competition and public procurement cases. In addition to undertaking litigation, the firm is recommended for its work on arbitration matters. Gaston Hadjianastassiou, Kypros Ioannides and Costas Philippou lead the ‘very responsive’ practice.
‘A combination of personal service with top professional technical knowledge and a practical approach. I would single out Kypros Ioannides as a class above the competition with his thoroughness, analytical power and precise advice.’
‘All partners are very approachable and well conversant with the industry. Kypros Ioannides is very knowledgeable and experienced in this field. Always available to give advice and discuss things.’
‘Very diligent, great attention to detail, the team strives to understand the business & commercial aspects behind the dispute as well. Kypros Ioannides – smart, intelligent, catches the “big picture” of disputes, personally supervises work, always stays calm.’
‘Gaston Hadjianastassiou and Kypros Ioannides are excellent. Very knowledgeable, commercial and highly responsive.’
‘Dynamic, competent, and responsive law firm, which is working in a highly productive setup – in both technological and practical terms. Contrary to many other local law firms with which we have collaborated with, which are much older – something that, in our experience, infuses a more rigid structure, and a less technologically-minded setup – the team exudes a vitality and an organisational intelligence that is quite rare. To this, one needs to factor in the generosity of partners’ time in all major cases-projects.’
‘All the individuals with whom we have collaborated with demonstrated competence, devotion, and zeal. More specifically, Mr. Gaston Hadjianastassiou (Partner) and Mr. Costas Philippou (Director), certainly fit the preceding assessment. On the other hand, Mr. Kypros Ioannides (Partner) not only also adheres to the preceding, but is a rare mixture of professional expertise and personal charisma.’
‘A very efficient team of colleagues, capable of handling cross-border legal issues and achieves high rates of performance as local litigators. Kypros Ioannides is really an exquisite lawyer, with an understanding of foreign and cross-border legal issues, responsive and effective in his legal actions. Gaston Hadjianastassiou has a good understanding of international matters and is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Client focused, solutions-oriented legal advice.’
Alpha Television Cyprus Limited
Astro Bank Ltd
Baker Tilly Klitou & Partners
Bank of Cyprus
COCA-COLA HBC Cyprus Ltd (formally known as Lanitis Bros Ltd part of the Coca-Cola Hellenic Group))
HSB Engineering Insurance Ltd
National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) Ltd
- Advised and represented a leading corporate services provider in Cyprus (Abacus Ltd) on cross-border litigation proceedings with an underlying value of circa. $243m.
- Successfully defended Tatorul Limited in high-value cross-border proceedings brought in Cyprus to enforce a payment order issued in Poland with a value of circa €7m.
- Provided an expert legal opinion to an international law firm on Cypriot corporate law in the context of an international arbitration under the auspices of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
George Z. Georgiou & Associates LLC regularly advises on complex commercial and corporate litigation involving urgent interim injunctions and discovery/disclosure orders. It frequently advises clients on issues such as shareholder disputes, commercial fraud, the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and other issues such as breach of contract claims and intellectual property matters. George Z. Georgiou leads the international litigation department, while Andri Mitsigga leads the local litigation offering. Romanos Loizides made partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘In the short period we have been cooperating with George Z. Georgiou office, I am happy to say that the people we work closely with are professional, have the competence to support us and are detail-oriented. They understand how to prioritise tasks. Andri knows who to direct the queries to in order to immediately resolve them or where her involvement is needed. She is a person with high management skills.‘
‘Experienced, experts in every field of law. Provides high levels of legal services.’
‘It has a near-unrivalled experience of cross-border disputes and excellent up-to-date knowledge of the latest legal developments in this area, particularly in relation to interim relief. It is very professional and the service it provides reflects that in terms of turnaround times and quality of legal advice, written advocacy and oral advocacy.’
‘George Georgiou is an excellent strategist who has a sophisticated understanding of how to deploy his extensive knowledge effectively in specific cases. He is also a persuasive advocate who is able to distil his arguments with authority because his profound knowledge of commercial disputes (particularly shareholder-disputes and commercial fraud) is immediately apparent in his advocacy.’
‘They have been excellent on all fronts – in terms of the high quality of legal advice, collaboration between firms, communication with a variety of foreign advisers and clients, responding to unexpected events and explaining the complexities of Cypriot law. They are strategically adept, highly knowledgeable, responsive and skilled at working with both professionals and clients from other jurisdictions. I highly recommend them.’
‘George Georgiou is a very experienced, highly strategic, talented and knowledgeable lawyer. He is also a pleasure to work with. He has managed his team with aplomb throughout the pandemic and while navigating a complicated, multijurisdictional dispute with many different parallel strands and a variety of foreign advisers.’
‘This is the best team of lawyers in Cyprus, especially for complex, high value litigation. They are creative, responsive and highly collaborative.’
‘George Georgiou is a remarkable lawyer. He is both very technical and highly creative. He is always looking for a new angle to improve the client’s position. He is incredibly hardworking and always makes himself available. Most importantly, he usually wins. His team, including Romanos Loizides, is similarly impressive.’
The team at Soteris Pittas & Co L.L.C is noted for its experience of obtaining interim orders, including freezing injunctions, receiverships and Norwich Pharmacal orders. It is also skilled at advising on the recognition, enforcement and registration of foreign awards of all kinds. The group is recommended for its ability to handle large disputes that span multiple jurisdictions for clients that include very well-known individuals, businessmen and companies from around the world. Department head Soteris Pittas is ‘full of energy, tactically very astute and very ‘hands-on’. Kyriakos Pittas is another key individual.
‘One of the most sought after firms in the market as their skills can dramatically change the chances of success. Creative, hardworking and successful – they take on the client’s case and work tirelessly to find a solution that works. Soteris Pittas has an encyclopaedic knowledge of law coupled with an easy and charming manner that wins over clients and courts alike. Never leaves you exposed and always gives 110%.’
‘Brave, brilliant and hardworking. Soteris inspires confidence and is honest and practical in his approach. Kyriakos is diligent, reliable and promptly updates on hearings.’
‘Long time in the market. Well known for quality approach and creative solutions.’
‘Very client oriented with a very strong knowledge of local law. Highly effective.’
‘A very robust and thorough team, which leaves no stone unturned in order to achieve the best results possible for its clients. They are also very responsive and efficient. Mr. Soteris Pittas has outstanding legal expertise and possesses an impressive legal insight and profound knowledge of law and legal procedures. Mr. Christodoulos Neofytou is very meticulous and responsive. Mrs. Anna Lamprou is very responsive, professional, and straightforward. Mr. Kyriakos Pittas is very creative and strives to come up with practical and efficient solutions.‘
‘Absolutely outstanding service all round. This is ‘the go to firm in Cyprus’ for disputes, without a doubt. Really knows the local market like no other firm. During the pandemic, one of the first Cyprus firms to truly embrace video conferencing.’
‘Soteris Pittas is outstanding – probably the best lawyer I have worked with in Cyprus. His knowledge of disputes, Cyprus litigation and insolvency is second to none. Also recommend Anna Lambrou and Kyriakos Pittas. I have worked extensively on many matters with them.’
‘Soteris Pittas’ team comprises of Cypriot and English-qualified lawyers, which makes them well positioned to advise on matters involving parallel proceedings in Cyprus and England. The team is efficient and demonstrated its ability to react quickly and creatively to protect its client’s interests in Cypriot courts and at the same time to consider the impact of proceedings in foreign jurisdictions. Soteris Pittas, managing partner, is extremely knowledgeable, proactive and ready to suggest creative solutions. Kyriakos Pittas is one of leading associates in the litigation team. He is responsive and has a great eye for detail of complex matters.’
A1 Investment Company
National Bank TRUST
Gazprombank (Switzerland) Ltd
Ivanyan & Partners
Kennedys Law LLP
Dentons LLP (London – Moscow Offices)
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
PB LEGAL LLC (Moscow)
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, London
Forward Legal (Moscow)
Steptoe & Johnson LLP (London)
Field Fisher LLP
PCB Litigation LLP
Morgan Lewis (Moscow Office)
Reed Smith (Athens)
Muranov, Chernyakov & Partners (Moscow)
AquaSol Hotels Group
- Acting for Russian National Bank TRUST (“NBT”) in various insolvency proceedings of Cypriot entities against which NBT has claims for the recovery of approx. $500m, advising NBT on various corporate and litigation matters under Cyprus law, as well as assisting same in arbitration proceedings on related matters ($500m).
- Representing Gazprombank (Switzerland) Ltd before the Cyprus courts and successfully obtaining extensive freezing injunctions and prohibitive orders in aid of arbitral proceedings filed abroad against debtor companies of the DTEK Group, for a claim of approximately $29m. Advising Gazprombank (Switzerland) Ltd as to the effects of the acquired interim orders against the English schemes of arrangements proceedings filed by the debtors, as well as on inter alia issues of enforcement of English schemes of arrangements in Cyprus.
- Handling a number of Cypriot civil proceedings on behalf of A1 Investment Company.
AGP Law Firm | A.G. Paphitis & Co. LLC represents a variety of large organisations in Cyprus, such as private, semi-private and public companies. It also acts for major banks, large schools and public hospitals. Angelos Paphitis mainly handles large cases involving injunctions and interim orders. Other areas of expertise include multijurisdictional debt recovery actions and breach of contract claims.
‘ Angelos Paphitis – very experienced, highly qualified, business-oriented.’
‘We have engaged AGP law firm for their litigation/dispute resolution services in combination with their banking & finance regulatory practice. We have chosen AGP Law Firm because of the combination of expertise they offer, especially for the case we have engaged them for which requires deep knowledge of litigation strategies together with banking and finance regulatory frameworks.’
‘We have so far been working closely with Angelos Paphitis, who is the managing partner of the firm. He is an outstanding dispute resolution lawyer but also very knowledgeable and experienced banking/finance advisor, and we have very good communication.’
‘We have been working closely with Angelos Paphitis since 2007. He is a very knowledgeable, strategic and highly active litigator. Apart from being an exceptional lawyer he also sees the business side of our tasks which is truly helpful; he is an outstanding professional and a highly skilled advocate.’
‘Their litigation team is one of the best in Cyprus in my opinion with a wide-range of knowledge and always able to think outside the box. Our case is still ongoing and AGP is handling it perfectly in all aspects. It is our pleasure to be working with such firm and team, and to have them by our side.’
‘Angelos Paphitis – we can always rely on him. He is an excellent litigator, as well as professional. I have also worked with Christos Kastanias an associate at the firm an excellent advocate, with great experience and client approach. The aforesaid team is truly doing a great job for us, and their strategy has so far proven to be the very correct one.’
Heritage Private School
Intelisoft CY Ltd
Bank of Cyprus
FESCO OSJC (Russia)
Metarus Group (Russia)
Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC)
- Acted for FESCO Group in its application for interim injunctions to prevent two Cyprus companies from exercising their voting rights as majority shareholders in FESCO Group.
- Engaged to handle the divorce of a Russian ultra-high-net-worth individual. Many of the assets are owned legally but not beneficially and therefore the firm had to extensively research and apply regulations from different jurisdictions in order to ensure the rightful separation of the said assets.
- Representing 83 claimants from all over the world against Banc de Binary group of companies, its shareholders and managers (38 Defendants in total); for breach of statutory duties, breach of contract, fraud and fraudulent representation, conspiracy to defraud, etc.
Haviaras & Philippou L.L.C. advises on a wide range of disputes from general civil matters to banking, criminal and corporate/commercial law cases. Marios Panayides and Andreas L. Haviaras are among the key members of the team. Michael K. Philippou, who is another prominent member of the department, leads on insurance matters and acts for numerous insurance companies. The group represents both domestic and international groups of companies in sectors such as advertising, construction, real estate and food chain factories. It also receives a steady stream of instructions from a number of international law firms.
‘It is a medium sized firm for Cyprus standards and it has some very efficient and practical lawyers especially in its dispute resolution department. Andreas Haviaras who is the managing partner of the firm stands out. He is an excellent corporate/commercial litigation lawyer.’
‘H&P is a young vibrant firm with deep knowledge of legal matters. Always practical and professional in their advice and analysis. Marios Panayides has demonstrated a high level of knowledge and expertise.’
‘Experience, reaction times, attention to client’s suggestions, honest estimate of a dispute. Andreas Haviaras, a very experienced attorney with an exceptionally quick perception of the essentials. Marios Panayides, a very competent representative of the next generation of the firm, sincere and fair in his estimates.’
‘The firm has a flexible attitude to budgets. Ready to discuss discounts to the hourly rates if you are a major client.’
‘A real industry knowledge and commercially minded with sound legal expertise. An ability to understand clients’ needs and adopt the relevant strategies. Andreas Haviaras is an excellent and tenacious lawyer.’
‘Very good on the law but very commercial input provided also, which is crucial. Andreas Haviaras – very knowledgeable and great client service skills.’
‘A team that is available to listen and advise based on the facts and reality. The team will not make promises and will be transparent at all times. Technical knowledge. Excellent commercial awareness.’
Trust Insurance co
Marathon Trading Ltd
Israel Land Development Malls and Shopping Centers Ltd (Israel Stock Exchange)
MEDIPOWER (Overseas) Public Co Limited (Israel Stock Exchange)
Aenias Hotels Ltd
AC Technometal Ltd
ARGUS stockbrokers LTD
K Treppides & Co
Doms Cars Ltd
Alkis H. Hadjikyriacos (Frou-Frou Biscuits) Public Limited
Meridien Hotels Ltd
Vassos Markides Estates Ltd
Meinl Bank – Austria
HERO DELIVERY Ltd – Foody
Kendriki insurance company
DEMSTAR AUTOMOTIVES LTD
Audit Pro LTD
- Represented the plaintiff where compensation was granted in excess of €8,6000,000 against Woolworth (Cyprus) Properties Plc for breach of contract.
- Filed for a freezing order for the amount of €4m to secure its client’s claim.
- Challenging the decision of the court requesting it to re-evaluate its position of not being able to define the actual fair value of a share in a regulated public company.
Scordis, Papapetrou & Co LLC, which is active in litigation and arbitration, has a strong track record acting for high-profile local and international clients in complex disputes. Its clients include two of the biggest publicly listed companies in Cyprus. Also notable is that the firm frequently receives referrals from international law firms. The workload includes contractual disputes, debt recovery cases, shareholder disputes, asset tracing matters and civil fraud claims. Kyriacos Scordis, Christos Scordis, Alexandros Gavrielides, Constantinos Adamides, Penelope Papapetrou and Andreas Michaelides co-head the department.
‘Extensive experience on very large dispute resolutions. Very thorough knowledge of corporate law issues as well as significant court experience that assists parties to the dispute to understand the “red-lines” of their positions.’
‘Very focused client-centric approach and efficient in-house pooling of expertise – very rare to find both of these in firms of such a large size in Cyprus.’
‘Kyriacos Scordis – strong legal skills coupled with a strategic approach. Constantinos Adamides- strong legal skills and very client centric approach.’
‘Professionalism, customer-focused. Variety of approaches to solving problems.’
‘The firm did a fantastic job during the pandemic. Despite all the difficulties, they were always available and hands-on. They possess depths of expertise in both corporate and contentious matters. They are also very loyal to the client. I would definitely choose them over any law firm in Cyprus.’
‘Kyriacos Scordis is the main star in the firm. He knows everything there is to know in Cyprus law. He is very innovative and persuasive, and he never stops until he gets the results for his client.’
Alexander Filippovich Shchukin
MN Larnaca Desalination Co Ltd, MN Limassol Water Co. Ltd
PJSC National Bank Trust
Joint Stock Company Commercial Bank “PRIVATBANK”
Dmitry Tsvetkov and Elsina Khayrova
Joint Stock Company Commercial Bank “MODULBANK”
Charalambides Christis Limited
Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation
- Advising Alexander Filippovich Shchukin on a highly complex €260m dispute concerning a damages claim for the loss of proprietary interest in Russian coal mines in the context of which a worldwide freezing injunction accompanied by ancillary disclosure orders were secured in favour of the client.
- Representing the two consortium companies and a subsidiary of Israel’s water company in numerous contractual and other disputes involving claims against the Water Development Department of the Ministry of Agriculture of Cyprus, on the basis of BOT contracts for two water desalination projects in Cyprus.
- Acting for a bank in a highly complex claim for damages and other relief for losses suffered by the bank as a result of drawdowns under sham loan agreements, the channelling of funds linked to those drawdowns, the subsequent use of such funds to purportedly repay other amounts drawn under other sham loans agreements with the bank and/or to conceal such earlier sham loan agreements and/or their fraudulent nature.
STELIOS AMERICANOS & CO LLC covers a wide range of disputes for clients, such as family law matters, tort cases and commercial litigation. It also handles many banking and security enforcement cases against debtors who are in default of their obligations. Other areas of expertise include pre-emptive measures allowing for the freezing of assets on a global basis, as well as winding up and liquidation proceedings. The firm is also sought after for advice on the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. Stelios Americanos, Soteris Costa and Akis Koumas co-head the department.
‘Professional team with reasonable fees. Soteris Costa – very cooperative. Good experience in cross-jurisdictional disputes.’
‘Stelios Americanos & Co LLC has an outstanding team of lawyers who have in-depth knowledge of the fields they specialise in. They always deliver concise, easy to understand and practical advice. They have always been accessible and responsive to any request. Akis Koumas – hardworking, professional, efficient, responsive and reliable.’
‘Akis Koumas – Hard working, professional, efficient, responsive and reliable.’
Nicosia Mall and others
Tashir Group of Companies
Bank of Cyprus
Arricano Real Estate Limited
Alfa Bank Ukraine
Awendale Resources Inc
- Acting on behalf of a nominee director of a company registered in Cyprus, who together with 29 other defendants are being sued by a Cayman Islands company, for damages, having as a cause of action fraud or breach of fiduciary duties or contractual obligations which resulted in the dilution of the plaintiff’s interest in two Russian companies, owners of immovable property in Moscow. In particular the plaintiff is claiming that its interest in the two Russian companies which was 99% and 92.75% was diluted – reduced to 4.15% and 4.84 respectively. The dispute is valued at $160m.
- Advising a client who invested in 3 large real estate projects being developed in Moscow, Russia, by way of providing loans to the Cyprus registered holding company. The debtor not only defaulted on the payment of the loan but to have defrauded the investor who is has now filed an action before the High Court in England, while at the same time an ancillary action was filed in Cyprus for the purpose of getting freezing injunctions over the assets of the debtor company in Cyprus. The claim is valued at €50m.
- Advising a client who provided loans to an Ukrainian company, the repayment of which was guaranteed by a holding company in Cyprus. After the default of payment of the loans, the client demanded the payment by the guarantor in Cyprus and then initiated winding up proceedings, considering that the debt is undisputed and taking into account that the client obtained judgment against the primary debtor in Ukraine.
COSTAS TSIRIDES & CO LLC represents local businesses, municipalities, semi-governmental organisations and international companies in various high-value cases. Alexandros Tsirides is adept at handling all aspects of commercial litigation and civil fraud. Another key individual is Photini Tsirides, whose wide-ranging expertise includes construction disputes, arbitrations, banking and maritime-related actions.
‘They have a large number of successfully resolved disputes in such sectors as commercial, corporate, banking, construction etc. Their deep insight and expertise in these sectors are simply amazing, and their ability to find the most unconventional legal instruments to preserve their clients’ interests is exceptional. Also they are very open and flexible in terms of their fees, which are very reasonable give the highest quality of their services.’
‘We work with Alexandros Tsirides and other lawyers. Their extensive in-depth knowledge and experience of providing solutions to complex matters both locally and overseas is unrivalled. Moreover, they are very attentive, kind and down to earth people which makes every project with them a very pleasant experience.’
‘Alexandros Tsirides and his team are excellent. They are extremely proactive and know what they are doing. A team that I trust. Alexandros Tsirides leads an excellent team. He is very smart and knowledgeable and always gives clear and pragmatic advice.’
‘I have worked with them on one large matter for a number of years and find them excellent. They are very responsive and commercial, providing good, sensible and practical advice. They know the courts and judges well, and are able to advise quickly on what strategies are and are not likely to succeed. We work principally with Alexandros Tsirides, to whom all of the comments above apply – he is a great member of the team on a very large and complex matter.’
‘Alexandros is a leader in the market. He has experience in all fields of litigation and you can rely on his opinion. He is very sharp and extremely honest.’
‘Costas Tsirides. Available 24/7, very conservative when assessing the case and gets every successful results afterwards.’
‘A practice with extensive experience despite their relatively young age (partners and professional associates). All of the members of the team are characterised as pleasant and polite with a very positive attitude and approach. Their strengths relate to their collaborative approach and professionalism.’
‘Costas Tsirides is a very strong team with exceptional experience in litigation and dispute resolution. We would like to highlight Alexandros Tsirides, a managing director of Costas Tsirides & Co. He is calm and very convincing and his advice is very valuable.‘
Harris Kyriakides' sizeable team has considerable expertise in cross-border disputes. It regularly collaborates with international law firms on large and complex litigation and arbitration matters. Michael Kyriakides is among the primary contacts at the firm, which acts for clients in litigation relating to liquidations and restructurings, fraud claims, contractual issues and commercial torts. It is also active in actions for injunctions and asset tracing matters. Also recommended are Phivos Zomenis, Nicolas Kyriakides, Constantina Hadjianastasi, Elena Michaelidou, Georgia Karamalli and Charikleia Theodoulou.
‘Michael Kyriakides and the individuals of the office. They are open to hear and adjust the legal procedure to the opinion of the client. Ability to respond to technical issues within very strict deadlines.’
‘Our relations with the individual lawyers of Harris Kyriakides team are very practical, professional and easy to understand. It is quite important when you have several different cases to receive the full support and understanding. In spite of the really unusual cases the whole team is involved and creates the full picture very quickly and professionally. We have a very good mutual understanding.’
‘The practice during the COVID – 19 period has continued to provide high-quality advice and expertise using technology innovations. It is imperative to state that no delay was observed and that all deadlines were met which is something amazing. All personnel are available and easy to access even after office hours and they are always willing to offer their professional services when needed.‘
Gordian Real Estate Fund
Hellenic Alico Insurance
Ethniki Insurance (Cyprus) Ltd
Minerva Insurance Company Public Ltd
General Insurance of Cyprus Ltd
AGS Agrotrading Group
Altamira YesPetrolina (Holdings) Public Ltd
Cyprus Airports F&B
Papadopoulos, Lycourgos & Co LLC's team demonstrates strong capabilities across a broad range of commercial, corporate and tax disputes. It has substantial expertise in freezing orders, injunctive relief applications and shareholder disputes major international an. Clients instructing the firm include domestic companies and wealthy individuals. Dimitris Papadopoulos and Charis Papachristodoulou co-head the department.
- Represented a high-net-worth individual in proceedings concerning a $1bn cross-border (Russia, UK and Cyprus) matrimonial property dispute, forcing the other side to agree to an out of court settlement of the matter, on the most favourable terms possible for its client.
- Represented a group of more than 20 Dutch clients in proceedings brought against them in Cyprus, setting aside the court actions, on a novel jurisdictional point.
- Represented various high-net-worth individuals in a civil fraud court action, successfully setting aside a judgment for more than $500m that had been entered against them. The proceedings were withdrawn against the clients.
PYRGOU VAKIS LAW FIRM's workload covers the full spectrum of civil litigation. Its team's wide experience encompasses areas such as banking and finance disputes, as well as contractual claims, tort and administrative law cases. In addition, it is adept at advising on injunctions and interim relief orders, as well as the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments. Despo Andreou, Demetris Vakis and Nota Pelekanou jointly lead the department.
‘Mr Vakis’ strengths are his experience in the field, he understands our company needs and he is always available to communicate, to advise and find the best solutions for our company.’
‘Lawyers are always on time, they are aware of the industry and they give us appropriate advice/support to our related legal cases. Nota Pelecanou is very helpful and kind. Her efficiency is excellent!’
‘The most important of all is the people. They are available to solve any problems. They are always well prepared.’
‘The impeccable record of Pyrgou Vakis Law Firm demonstrates that both the legal and their back office support team operate properly, thus making the business more fluid, more fruitful and efficient, thus offering their customers an excellent service. Their dedication to providing a quality service is also demonstrated by their compliance with the ISO9001:2015 Quality Management standard which they hold for several years now. All members of staff are knowledgeable, experienced and dedicated to their work, but what drives the firm are the leading partners Ms Despo Andreou and Mr Demetris Vakis.’
‘We have worked with Pyrgou Vakis LLC for many years. Pyrgou Vakis LLC has always represented our firm in the most professional manner. Their ethics are of the highest standards. Their friendship, courtesy, knowledge and honesty have become very important to us during our day to day cooperation. Pyrgou Vakis LLC is a law firm with a rare combination: they consistently exhibit great skill and knowledge with a friendly, direct approach.’
‘Our firm cooperates on an almost daily basis with various lawyers of Pyrgou Vakis LLC, depending on the subject matter. All lawyers are distinguished by professionalism, hard work, high integrity, efficiency, skills with a friendly direct approach. Pyrgou Vakis LLC partners always strive to provide us with their services in a timely manner, with professionalism on any legal matter depending on their field of specialisation/expertise.’
- Acted in various types of litigation initiated on behalf of a bank, as well as defending the bank, involving loans, immovable and movable property, as well as other interim procedures.
- Advising on receivership – interim applications (writs of delivery, writs of possession, certiorari and contempt proceedings) on behalf of a client.
- Provided legal advice to a client and issued an interim order in relation to an employee over breach of data protection policy of the company and stealing of sensitive information.
Athos Demetriou Associates LLC acts for a mix of domestic and international corporates, as well as financial institutions. In addition to representing clients in litigation, it also assists clients with resolving disputes through the use of mediation. The firm also provides specialised advice on regulatory and compliance matters. Athos Demetriou has a particular focus on regulatory disputes. Another key individual is George Ktorides, who has considerable expertise in advising clients on GDPR compliance.
‘What we value most in our collaboration with them is their professionalism, expertise and human approach. We have worked with Mr Athos Demetriou for dispute resolution matters. Athos is very experienced. He is always accessible and responsive. He has the way of closing the cases with all the stakeholders being satisfied.‘
‘Currently, in Cyprus, we work exclusively with Athos Demetriou Associates LLC. The reason for this is their in-depth legal knowledge, prompt reactions and human approach; all these add up to a great service. Athos Demetriou Associates LLC stands out because they give clear, confident and pragmatic advice.’
‘Personalised service and deep know-how of the specific areas of the law. Athos Demetriou vast know-how, commercial awareness, understanding of client business, business acumen and practical approach.’
eToro Group Limited
eToro (Europe) Limited
IOS Investments Ltd
Arvis Capital Ltd
Mount Nico Corp. Ltd
OBR Investments Ltd
A.D. Compliance Services LTD
IGM Forex Ltd
Exness (Cy) Ltd
Capital Securities S.A.
Forex TB Ltd
Banc de Binary Ltd
Hoch Capital Ltd
Royal Forex Ltd
ATFX Global Markets (CY) Ltd
Magnum FX (Cyprus) Ltd
Autotechnica (Cyprus) Ltd
Alter Domus (Cyprus) Ltd
HLB Cyprus Ltd
FXPRO Financial Services Ltd
Zerich Securities Ltd
SAFECAP Investments Ltd
Investor Compensation Fund (CySEC)
K.Treppides & Co Ltd
- Instructed by Bitconvert Ltd to bring an action and seek interim injunctive measures against a Cypriot EMI.
- Instructed by AstroBank Ltd to initiate and handle actions against defaulting clients, including bringing actions, initiating bankruptcy proceedings and handling the execution of judgments.
- Instructed by eToro Group Ltd to bring an action and seek interim injunctive measures against a network of individuals and legal persons who have conspired to defraud the company.
Agis Georgiades and Fofo Georgiadou jointly lead the department at Christos Georgiades & Associates LLC, which advises national and international clients on various commercial, construction and corporate disputes. It is adept at handling professional negligence, fraud and asset recovery claims. In addition to representing clients in litigation, the group also handles arbitrations and mediations at domestic and international level.
‘Agis Georgiades is one of the leading arbitrators on the island.’
Christos Patsalides L.L.C.
Christos Patsalides L.L.C.'s team is skilled at representing clients in litigation and arbitration matters. Christos M. Patsalides and Constantinos Kokkinoftas are the joint heads of the department. Under their leadership, the group handles a wide variety of cases, such as family law, inheritance matters, employment and administrative law cases, rental disputes and insurance claims.
‘Well organised, the team deals with issues in a timely manner, reasonable fees.’
‘Personal and continuous attention, scrutiny, in depth knowledge of legal issues and proceedings.’
Bank of Cyprus Ltd
National Bank of Greece, (Cyprus)
A.T. Multitech Corporation
Economides Metal Recycling Limited
- Represented TRUCKOMAN LTD in the Court case no 1394/2014 between 1. K. A and C. P v. Truckoman Ltd and others. The hearing was held in the District Court of Nicosia and the outcome was the dismissal of the case in favour of the clients, which were the defendants. Specifically, the clients were accused for a debt of over €750.000,00 by virtue of an alleged loan agreement and the firm succeeded in proving the invalidity of the said loan agreement.
E & G Economides LLC
The litigation team at E & G Economides LLC, which is led by Klearchos Christofi, is particularly experienced in advising on claims involving asset recoveries and interim orders, as well as freezing injunctions, corporate, partnership and shareholder disputes. It is also busy advising on cases involving allegations of white-collar-crime and money laundering. Real estate disputes are another area of activity.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is teamed by enthusiastic lawyers who are very helpful, understanding, co-operative and willing to take an active role. Klearchos Christofi and George Economides are the people that I have co-operated with who are outstanding.’
Bank of Cyprus PLC
Totalserve Management Ltd
Placberg Investments Ltd
Totalserve Trustees Ltd
- Acting for a leading global service provider, which specialises in the field of international tax planning, corporate, trusts, and fiduciary services, in litigation defending a lawsuit accompanied by a Norwich Pharmacal Order for the disclosure and provision of documents and information.
- Acting for a client in cross-border litigation defending a freezing order over the assets of the company as well as other interim applications submitted by the plaintiff company.
- Assisted a client with the legal procedures for the reimbursement of losses in relation to a complex dispute against a brokerage firm.
GIORGOS LANDAS LLC’s client base includes public and private companies, multinational corporates, banks and financial institutions, as well as entrepreneurs and individuals from Cyprus and overseas. With Giorgos Landas and Elias Agathokleous at the helm, the team is well-placed to advise on a myriad of complex issues, which range from employment law and family disputes to insurance claims and banking cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘I deal with Mr. Giorgos Landas, who is very knowledgeable, thorough and efficient. The main point is that, whatever case he is assigned, I have the peace of mind as he is always in control and on top of things. Furthermore I am always content with the timely positive result.’
‘The whole team responds with professionalism and keeps to time schedules, which is very important. Mr Landas himself is a professional who earns your trust and respect from the very first moment you meet him. So are his colleagues. You mostly feel that you have people taking care of your business and you have nothing to worry about.‘
‘Personal service on a one to one basis. Always available to discuss. Understanding of the issues. Time devoted to analyse a problem with clear strategy options.’
‘The collaboration of team members. George Landas is very enthusiastic and professional. Anna Pavlou and Elias Agathocleous are very helpful and kind. Their efficiency is exceptional!’
Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited
P. Constantinou & Co Ltd
SBS Shipping (Cyprus) Ltd
Fenix Properties Ltd
IQ Option Europe Ltd
CSC Christodoulou Ltd
- Advised IQ OPTION EUROPE LTD, a foreign interest company and among the top 3 best companies of its kind in Cyprus which, deals with foreign exchange services, on claims for damages for alleged breach of rental agreement.
- Advised an investor and owner of a luxury residence on issues regarding remedies due to the nuisance caused by a hotel near the residence.
- Advised an individual on complicated family law disputes.
KINANIS LLC is well-known for its work on all aspects of domestic and international corporate and commercial litigation. It has extensive experience of dealing with interim injunctions, as well as applications for the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards in Cyprus. The group, which is jointly led by Christos P Kinanis and Andrianna Solomonides, is also well-regarded for its work on banking litigation. The team has recently expanded its practice into construction disputes, as well as administrative and employment law cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘The main feature I would like to note is a sincere willingness to support the client and real concern about the client’s problems. I have many years of successful cooperation with a number of lawyers of the company, I would like to mention the founder of the company Christos Kinanis, who is a real team leader, Andrianna Solomonides and Costas Apokides. Excellent team.’
‘The firm works in a professional way and they are well known for their experience in the area of litigation. Practical, keeping their promises on deadlines and always ready to offer alternatives and to share their knowledge. Definitely a ‘go to’firm for litigation issues. Mrs Solomonides is always responsive, with deep knowledge of her practice; she offered significant help to our case. We will be happy to work with her in the future in any other litigation case we will have.’
‘In my opinion, this is one of the best dispute resolution teams in Cyprus. It provides a high quality service to local and international clients. It is a very knowledgeable, collaborative and efficient group led by the managing director of the firm, Mr Christos Kinanis. The team offers unstinting support to clients, whether small or big, is very responsive and reliable.’
‘Each member of the team is outstanding. They are prepared to take on every challenging task, they think laterally about every matter to get the right outcome for their clients. The work they produce is always thought through carefully, strategically and is tactically astute. Andrianna Solomonides, in particular, is outstanding. She is technically very strong, responsive, helpful and supportive to us and the clients we recommended to her.’
‘From the start it was evident that the litigation department of KINANIS LLC works together as a team and is very well rounded with its knowledge over several aspects and areas of Cyprus law. This allows the team to provide efficient and rounded advice. The team pays attention to detail and makes the client feel valued.’
‘Andrianna Solomonides and Costas Apokides have been great. They are very friendly and enthusiastic about their work. They are responsive and always make the effort to keep us up to date with the progress of the matter they are dealing with. They are willing to explain all issues at stake in full detail in order to help the client understand the issues raised and always offer commercially sound advice, which is to the point and have the capacity to tackle complex matters.’
‘They are very responsive, clear, direct and cooperative. They explained in detail what we needed to know about the court system in Cyprus, the way judges decide certain matters, and in general, have been very helpful and proactive in the court proceedings. Ms. Andrianna Solomonides was proactive, very responsive and cooperative. Her support, patience and advices were very helpful to the matter.’
DIAPLOUS MARITIME SERVICES LTD
Goldberg Leasing GmbH
ELECTI Consulting Limited
Bank of Cyprus PLC
World Marine Services CY Ltd
N. Pirilides & Associates LLC advises on a broad range of high-value disputes that often involve interim relief applications, such as discovery orders, gagging orders, freezing orders and search orders. It also routinely advises on other types of injunctions. The practice regularly generates mandates from local and foreign corporations (including multinational groups and financial institutions) and HNWIs. In addition, it frequently advises on arbitration proceedings. Neofytos Pirilides and Kyriakos Karatsis co-head the department.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at N. Pirilides & Associates LLC consists of gifted and creative consultants who consistently deliver high-quality services. Their energy and enthusiasm for service is endless and they always ensure a solution-focused and expertly designed outcome. The team is reliable, flexible and a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend them.’
‘Mr. Kyriakos Karatsis has represented our company in a wide variety of legal matters and he has consistently stayed ahead of the ever-changing legal landscape. I would highly recommend him as an excellent attorney and zealous yet practical advocate as a modern business requires.’
‘They have highly trained associates. Their legal assistants are remarkable and exceptional, and the firm has a very high reputation. Mr Kyriakos Karatsis’ skills and abilities have been phenomenal.’
‘The firm and the team has proved to be a reliable legal counsel, possessing relevant skills and expertise to handle complex international matters and deliver the results for the clients in a timely manner.’
‘Despite the pandemic and relevant travel restrictions, the firm has made an effective switch to online platforms and digital communication tools, all of which allowed us for smooth communication and project management. Neofytos Pirilides is indeed a notable litigation practitioner. He stands out for his exceptional expertise, clear-cut legal advice and litigation strategies. We work closely with Mr. Kyriakos Karatsis and Ms. Antonia Argyrou, all of whom are highly experienced legal professionals.‘
‘The firm has a close-knit team of competent professionals. Neofytos Pirilides, the managing partner is a shrewd and competent litigator.’
‘Quick response, prompt action, reliable advice , sharp legal acumen.‘
‘Clarity in communication , quick understanding of our requirements followed by practical approach, sound legal process.‘
RCB Bank Ltd
Axios Capital Properties Ltd
D. Zavos Group
OLYMPIC HOLIDAYS GROUP LIMITED
K. Kythreotis – Skyrodema Ltd
Symphony Ventures Pte. Ltd
- Represented a HNWI Ukrainian national in a multijurisdictional claim concerning breach of trust and conspiracy to defraud action regarding various alcoholic beverages trademarks. Furthermore, the firm represented the HNWI as an “interested party” and/or as a creditor of a company being the respondent in winding up proceedings which are part of the overall fraudulent scheme thus the firm applied to stay the proceedings being an obvious abuse of the court’s process.
Polakis Sarris & Co LLC is skilled at representing foreign and domestic clients on all aspects of corporate litigation, including injunctive relief applications. It frequently represents clients who are engaged in oil and gas exploration. In addition, other clients include ship owners, managers and charterers. Elsewhere, private client services are another core are focus for the practice. The firm is well-regarded for its knowledge of the gaming and betting regulatory framework. Yorgos Trillidis is the head of litigation at the firm.
‘They are trustworthy, have a sense of duty towards their clients and are very practical. They have also managed to cover all areas of law required within their practice and thus make it an easy choice for me to have slowly given them all my affairs to deal with.’
‘Very professional in their work.’
‘My experience of this firm spans over a decade and over this period has remained professional relevant and reliable. Prompt actions have been taken where necessary backed up with their independent advice.’
‘Very client-oriented service. They stand out as being very forthcoming and prompt.’
‘The firm is highly responsive and works in perfect harmony with each and every member of my team.’
‘Young, dynamic team but at the same time with significant experience. Longstanding established office with a very good reputation. Ethical and professional.’
Al Jazeera Media News Group
EFG Bank AF
Phileleftheros Media Group
Epsco Cyprus Ltd
Cyprus Publishers Union
Cyprus Popular Bank
- Assisted with the hearing of an appeal filed against the Cyprus National Betting Authority after having suspended the betting license of its client Royal Highgate Public Company Ltd (a public company and the 3rd biggest betting company in the island) which due to this suspension eventually shut down.
- In the oil and gas sector, the firm filed two administrative recourses before the administrative court on behalf of the Cyprus subsidiary of one of the largest FTSE 250 E&P companies.
- Instructed by Al Jazeera Media Newsgroup in a media-law related high-profile injunction that made the headlines.
Constantinos Agathocleous leads the team at Prountzos & Prountzos LLC, which handles a broad range of disputes, with a primary focus on civil and administrative cases. It is also notably skilled at advising on corporate disputes that involve CIS clients and assets. The team is also experienced in advising on different types of injunctions and other types of interim relief measures.
‘Personal touch, immediate reaction to requests for legal advice. Good interpersonal relations, immediate responses.’
Lantelme Holdings Limited
Ketonis Developments Limited
Elite Construction Limited
Y.T.M. Stavrides Limited
Pancyprian Organisation of Cattlefarmers (POCF) Public Company Limited
University of Cyprus
Papouis Dairies Limited
- Advised Pancyprian Organisation of Cattlefarmers (POCF) Public Company Limited regarding matters of Protected Origin Product (POP) Registration in relation to Halloumi.
- Frequently provides legal opinions to the University of Cyprus on administrative law matters, which arise from the implementation of the applicable laws.
Stelios Stylianides & Co L.L.C. covers all aspects of commercial litigation, under the leadership of Christos Stylianides and Anastasia Schini. It is skilled at advising on cases that arise from breach of corporate and commercial agreements, as well as other issues such as advising on cross-border freezing injunctions and the interim appointment of receivers and liquidators.
‘Excellent for Cyprus legal matters. Very friendly. Fast and efficient. We worked with Anastasia Schini. She is excellent and very client-friendly.’
‘Excellent, prompt client service and advice. Top quality advice provided in a very timely, client-focused way.’
‘The main characteristic that makes Stelios Stylianides and Co LLC unique is the personal approach. They are always ready to provide any kind of support and advice on any kind of dispute resolution.’
‘Christos Stylianides and his team, provide for a certainty that they will do their best in any case they will undertake. They have provided their legal counsel and support on a number of disputes both in Cyprus and abroad.’
‘They are nearer to their clients than any others I have dealt with. The team between them covers a very wide range of expertise which can easily make them a one stop shop. They make sure that they have a very good knowledge of their subject and are capable of handling any situations as they arise. Anastasia Schini really stands out for client handling and innovative thinking.‘
Cooperative Asset Management Company Ltd (previously Cyprus
Heiwa Auto, Osaka, Japan
Costas Athanasiou Group of Companies
A.M. Schinis (Investments) Ltd
The Municipality of Limassol
S.A. Mesaritis Developers Limited
National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) Limited
George Roussos Group of Companies
The Municipality of Pano Platres
Th. Schinis Enterprises Limited
Slater & Gordon, Solicitors, England
Hudgell Solicitors, England
- Acted for Heiwa Auto Co Ltd in the successful application for a summary judgment for debt of 33.206.500 Japanese Yen plus costs and interest.
- Successfully represented the Christian Church Committee of Pera Pedi in litigation for the declaration of a constructive trust over immovable property, and successfully resisted applications for a stay of execution pending appeal.
- Representing Altamira Asset Management (Cyprus) Ltd in a €5m recovery of credit claim.