Real estate and construction in Croatia
Led by the 'hands-on and responsive' Boris Šavorić and 'outstanding' Branko Bulat, Šavorić & Partners provides a 'highly efficient service' to international developers and investors (including numerous funds) on big-ticket domestic commercial property mandates. The team is particularly accomplished at handling work in the retail and tourism sectors, including its ongoing real estate work for Ikea, which currently includes advice on the development of a fashion outlet in Zagreb.
Boris Šavorić; Branko Bulat
‘The firm has great individuals who are real specialists in real estate and construction matters.‘
‘Highly efficient service.‘
‘The team provides timely, comprehensive and practical advice.‘
‘The outstanding Branko Bulat always provides clear and understandable answers.‘
‘Boris Šavorić is hands-on and responsive.‘
Lone Star Real Estate Fund
- Advising United Arab Emirates investor, Eagle Hills Properties, on the development of a touristic complex on the Croatian coast.
- Assisting Decathlon with the development of a store in Pula, Croatia.
- Acting for Lone Star Real Estate Fund and its subsidiaries in Austria and Croatia, Centrice group of companies, on disposing of a portfolio of assets consisting of retail properties, located in Croatia, through several asset deals.
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)
Jointly headed by the 'extremely responsive' Ana-Marija Skoko and 'very strategic' Gregor Famira , Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)'s two-partner team works closely with complementary practice groups (including banking and tax) to provide an 'outstanding product, from a legal and strategic perspective'. Praised for her ability to 'implement international thinking in relation to local law considerations', Skoko is particularly active handling retail-related real estate matters. The team also often advises on the real estate aspects of renewable energy projects handled by the firm.
Ana-Marija Skoko; Gregor Famira
‘The whole team delivers its work on time, no matter how short the timeline is, or how complex the scope of work is.‘
‘Outstanding product, from a legal and strategic perspective.‘
‘Ana-Marija Skoko is very reliable and competent; she can always be relied on to provide responsive, accurate and detailed advice.‘
‘Ana-Marija Skoko implements international thinking in relation to local law considerations.’
‘Gregor Famira: adding excellent strategic input, managing the whole team.‘
‘Tamara Jelić-Kazić: one of the best tax lawyers in the region, adding high-value to real estate transactions.‘
KPA Uniucon Group
- Advising a European property fund manager on all matters concerning a sizeable real estate portfolio in Croatia.
- Providing transactional and daily support to Bauhaus, a pan-European home improvement retail chain, including all real estate, construction, refurbishment, development, permitting and general acquisition matters.
- Advising the Croatian arm of Austrian wind energy company, Ecowind, on all matters concerning its Croatian businesses, including significant real estate and other aspects within transactional support.
Benefiting from deeply entrenched ties with many of the most prominent domestic and international developers and investors, Divjak, Topic & Bahtijarevic is frequently engaged in the highest-profile mandates in the market. Headed by the the 'very experienced' Emir Bahtijarević and also able to tap into the expertise of lawyers from across complementary practice areas, including finance and M&A, the team excels at handling investments, acquisitions, sale-and-leaseback arrangements within the infrastructure, leisure and tourism and energy sectors.
‘The team provides a very professional and dedicated service.‘
‘The team displays deep in-depth knowledge on specific topics.‘
‘Emir Bahtijarević is very experienced.‘
Hystead Limited, a subsidiary of Hyprop Investments Limited
Helios Real Estate – Zagreb Logistics Park / Poslovni Park Zagreb
Globe Trade Centre – Matrix Office Park
BOP Immobilien Gruppe
ADIDAS Croatia d.o.o.
- Advising Hystead Limited, a subsidiary of Hyprop Investments (a leading specialist shopping centre Real Estate Investment Trust) on the acquisition of a majority stake in two shopping centres in the Croatian capital.
- Acting for US private equity fund, W.P. Carey, across a range of issues associated with its estate portfolio in Croatia including full pre-transactional and transactional support, advice on all post-closing issues, tenant relations and construction issues.
- Assisting Zagreb Logistics Park / Poslovni Park Zagreb with all aspects of the €90m development of a logistics park in Croatia.
Law Firm Glinska & Miškovic Ltd has a strong reputation on behalf of developers, investors and end-users across a range of real estate work, particularly as it relates to office space, retail and leisure. 'Responsive and professional' team head Beata Glinska has an excellent reputation in the market and is advising the Croatian subsidiary of high-profile Austria-based retailer Spar on its acquisition of new sites. Other areas of expertise includes advising banks on real estate financing matters, as well as work for landlords and tenants on their lease drafting requirements.
‘The team is very responsive, legally astute and very commercial.‘
‘Beata Glinska and Marko Tomić are outspoken, responsive and professional.‘
SPAR Hrvatska d.o.o.
Tower Property Fund Limited
Kaufmann I Hoffmann
Erste Group Bank AG
Fortress Investment Group LLC
IR REAL ESTATE LEASING d.o.o. u likvidaciji
- Advising Tower Property Fund on its ongoing and proposed operations in Croatia, including recently acting for its Croatian group companies (Sub Dubrovnik and Tower Industrial) on a secured facility agreement granted by Erste & Steiermärkische bankand Erste Group Bank.
- Advising Erste Group Bank on the €47m refinancing of existing credit facility obligations of Poslovni Park Zagreb, the owner and operator of one of the largest business parks in Croatia.
- Acting for Spar Hrvatska on the acquisition of new sites.
Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC
Led by Jurica Reberski, Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC advises private and public sector stakeholders across the spectrum of real estate and construction issues, including as it relates to land acquisition, expropriation, zoning, ease negotiations, cadastral and land registry issues. Leveraging the firm's expertise within the energy sector, the team is also regularly involved in the associated real estate issues concomitant with projects in the space.
Jurica Reberski; Natalija Perić
City of Zagreb
Rimac Automobiles Ltd.
MFI International Real Estate Adriatic d.o.o.
Consilium Expert Group
Unit Group member, Unit Investment N.V & Unit International S.A
ZAGREB CITY HOLDING Ltd. (Zagrebački Holding d.o.o.)
Hrvatski operator prijenosnog sustava d.o.o.
MEŠIĆ COM d.o.o.
- Advising the City of Zagreb across the spectrum of property rights relations and land registry issues.
- Assisting Rimac Automobiles with the real estate issues associated with a new industrial facility in Croatia.
- Advising MFI International Real Estate Adriatic on development matters, including construction and divestiture.
Jointly headed by Miroslav Plašćar and Ana Vrsaljko Metelko, Žurić i Partneri's six-strong team has the critical mass and expertise to handle a wide range of real estate work, including on corporate and finance-related issues, zoning and planning and leasing matters. The team has a particularly strong reputation advising developers on tourist resort and leisure facility projects, particularly from a greenfield perspective. As well as transactional work, Plašćar also regularly handles real estate and construction-related disputes.
‘The experienced Miroslav Plašćar displays excellent knowledge.‘
- Advising OTP Banka across a range of significant real estate matters.
Hanzekovic & Partners is best known in the market for the 'hands-on and responsive service' it provides to government and state-owned entities on complex contractual drafting relating to the construction and operation of motorways and road facilities. Much of the firm's expertise in this area can be attributed to Jasminka Čorda Truhar, whose 'extensive experience in the field of FIDIC form contracts' is a major draw for clients. As well as advising on the front-end of deals, Truhar is also noted for her contentious construction expertise, particularly in relation to claims under FIDIC form contracts.
Jasminka Čorda Truhar; Andrea Domac Ričković
‘The firm has excellent subject matter knowledge.‘
‘Hands-on and responsive service.‘
‘Jasminka Čorda Truhar has extensive experience in the field of FIDIC form contracts.‘
Hrvatske autoceste d.o.o.
Hrvatske ceste d.o.o.
Zagreb Airport Ltd
- Assisting The Ministry of Economy, Entrepreneurship and Crafts on real estate and construction matters associated with the establishment of a complex in Zagreb (which will be home to the most significant entrepreneurial incubator in the region) – and also with the management of the claims under the FIDIC construction contract.
Jointly headed by Andrej Šooš Maceljski and Nikola Berović, M&S Partners is particularly accomplished at handling corporate-related real estate work, particularly in relation to foreign direct investment within the tourism sector. Other work has included handling a significant urban regeneration project for a municipality.
Andrej Šooš Maceljski; Nikola Berović
Led by Josip Madirazza, Madirazza & Partners advises investors and developers across the spectrum of work associated with the development of real estate, from permits, to building contracts, lease contracts, and the acquisition of real estate via asset and share deals. Madarizza is also well versed in advising lenders and borrowers on secured lending matters using real estate as collateral.
CENTAR GRADSKI PODRUM d.o.o.
CENTAR BUNDEK d.o.o.
- Advising Center Gradski Podrum on the construction and development of a commercial and residential complex in downtown Zagreb.
- Assisted Centar Bundek with the construction of a residential/commercial complex at a new location with a huge development potential in Zagreb near lake Bundek.
- Assisted a client with respect to clearing up the ownership status of a number of land registry plots representing a residential building in the centre of Zagreb.
Porobija & Porobija excels in handling hotel development projects in the tourism sector and is also regularly engaged in renewable energy-related real estate work.
Regularly interfacing with complementary practice groups including corporate and banking, and also able to tap into the expertise of lawyers from across the firm's CEE/SEE network of offices, Schoenherr in cooperation with Croatian lawyers 'is capable of structuring the most complicated real estate transactions' for investors, developers and banks. 'Solution-oriented' team head Ksenija Šourek has 'deep understanding of real estate transactions'. Recognised as a 'connoisseur of the Croatian real estate market', Šourek is 'one of the leading experts for development of real estate projects in the retail space'. Corporate expert Ivan Einwalter is also a key resource on real estate-related M&A matters.
‘The team is available 24/7 and is always ready to help.‘
‘The team is capable of structuring the most complicated real estate transactions.‘
‘The team provides business friendly and solution-oriented advice.‘
‘Ksenija Šourek knows her way around lease agreements and she was instrumental in our negotiations with lessees.‘
‘Ksenija Šourek has deep understanding of real estate transactions.‘
‘Ksenija Šourek is connoisseur of the Croatian real estate market.’
‘Ksenija Šourek is one of the leading experts for development of real estate projects in the retail space.’
‘Ksenija Šourek understands the needs from the client’s perspective by not rendering just the standard legal advice but instead providing a custom made and bespoke service.‘
Peek & Cloppenburg
UNIQA Real Estate Management GmbH
HETA (previously Hypo Alpe Adria Bank International)
Hotelbeds Group SL.
DEUTSCHE BANK AG
Josip Milavić (ex-owner of Studenac)
FACC Operations GmbH
- Advising German retailer Lidl, since its market entry in 2001, on the various real estate aspects of the development of, to date, approximately 90 Lidl stores in Croatia.
- Assisting Uniqa Real Estate Group with its investments on the Croatian real estate market.
- Advising AmRest Adria on leasing issues and construction of its KFC restaurants in Croatia.
Often deploying a multi-disciplinary and cross-office approach (drawing upon the strengths of corporate, finance and restructuring lawyers from many of the firm's CEE/SEE locations), Wolf Theiss - Zagreb branch is well positioned to advise banks, corporates and an increasing roster of high-net-worth individuals on their real estate requirements. Particular strengths include assistance with real estate-related insolvency and NPL matters, as well as work for real estate funds on their real estate strategies. Senior associate Josip Martinić is the firm's core real estate practitioner in Croatia.
B2 Holding ASA
DDM Group AG
Frühwald Holding Gesellschaft m.b.h.
Hemisphere International Properties B.V.
Leonhard Moll Betonwerke GmbH
NTT Data Croatia d.o.o.
ROCA Croatia d.o.o.
Shay Penso Holdings Ltd
SIGNA Property Funds Deutschland AG
- Advised Steinhoff Group, as part of a multi-disciplinary cross-office team, on the sale of the real estate portfolio of Kika/Leiner in Austria and a number of countries across the CEE region to Signa Group.
- Assisting Hemisphere International Properties, a subsidiary of Steinhoff Europe, with the financing collateral provided by three Croatian real estate holding companies.
- Advising Signa Property Funds Deutschland and its Croatian subsidiary on the management of the Hoto Tower office building in Zagreb.
Law Firm Ecimovic & Kaleb LLC
Praised for its 'business acumen and in-depth legal knowledge', Law Firm Ecimovic & Kaleb LLC provides a 'solution-oriented service' to banks, leasing companies and SMEs across a range of commercial property work. Josip Ećimović has 'great experience and in-depth legal knowledge in the area of real estate and construction' and jointly heads the team along with the 'responsive and professional' Ivan Kaleb, who also benefits from a strong background in dispute resolution procedures.
Ivan Kaleb; Josip Ećimović
‘The team is committed, experienced and shows great attention-to-detail.‘
‘Josip Ećimović is a detail-oriented, thorough and committed lawyer.‘
‘Josip Ećimović has great experience and in-depth legal knowledge in the area of real estate and construction.‘
‘Ivan Kaleb is responsive and professional.‘
Law Office Lacmanovic
HETA Asset Resolution AG and HETA Beteiligungen GmbH
- Advising Heta Asset Resolution and Heta Beteiligungen on the sale of Rezidencija Skiper, owners of the 5- star Kempinski Hotel Adriatic, golf resort and a number of luxurious villas, to the Serbian MK Group.
- Assisting longstanding client Immofinanz with corporate, lease and real estate issues relating to an A-class business building in Zagreb.
- Advising Heta Asset Resolution on the restructuring of approximately €50m loans regarding the purchase of the share in Adriatic, the owner of Hotel Marjan, and the loan for the refurbishment of the hotel.
Headed by Anita Krizmanić, Macesic & Partners LLC's four-strong team has 'extensive knowledge of law relating to real estate and construction business' and puts this to good effect for domestic and foreign companies as well as individuals in the sale and purchase of real estate in Croatia. The team handles a raft of work for banks on real estate matters, including disputes relating to ownership and lease issues, as well as NPL-related enforcement proceedings.
‘Extensive knowledge of law relating to real estate and construction business.‘
Erste & Steiermarkische Bank