Benefiting from strong ties with investors, developers and end-users, and also regularly picking up referral work from international law firms, Šavoric & Partners is regularly engaged in the highest-profile commercial property mandates in the market. Branko Bulat advises international investors and project developers in the startup and purchase of land and real estate projects in Croatia, many of which are within the retail space. Nina Radić-Kuzik co-heads the team alongside Bulat and is noted for her expertise in negotiating lease agreements. In addition, the team is able to call upon the broader competences of lawyers within the firm, with M&A and finance lawyers, in particular, often providing ballast to clients on transactional work.
Real estate and construction in Croatia
Branko Bulat; Nina Radić-Kuzik
Other key lawyers:
Lone Star Real Estate Fund
Ingka Centres (part of IKEA Group)
- Advising HŽ (Croatian Railways) in relation to the revision of the borders of the infrastructure (ie public domain area in vicinity of the railway line) for real estate which does not represent national railway infrastructure.
- Represented Lone Star Real Estate Fund on the sale of the largest Croatian company in the portfolio, Centrice Zagreb, through a share deal to a Slovenian company.
- Advised Ingka Centres (part of the IKEA Group) in connection with a project of complex infrastructural building and development.
Led by the 'very skilled' Miroslav Plašćar , Žurić i Partneri 'has an excellent knowledge of the local market', enabling it to provide a 'very responsive and commercial service' across many high-profile resort and leisure facility development projects. Another particular area of strength is advising on the real estate-related issues, including planning and zoning, associated with renewable energy projects. 'Very dedicated and skilled' senior associate Andrijana Kaštelan is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Luka Vukelić; Andrijana Kaštelan; Maja Skansi; Vedran Kopilović
‘The real estate practice has a very good knowledge of the local market. It is very responsive and provides profound legal advice with an excellent value for money ratio.’
‘Highly competent and commercial, the team acts like an in-house legal entity.’
‘Miroslav Plašćar has always delivered excellent work with the highest standards and strives to improve every day. He is a very skilled professional, who dares to discuss fearlessly and openly with you if needed.’
‘Andrijana Kaštelan is a dedicated and very skilled lawyer, who you can always trust is on your side and openly gives you her opinion.’
‘Maja Skansi is outstanding as a professional and person.’
- Participated as a subcontractor in the consortium working on the feasibility study related to a river transport/construction project which is one of the strategic projects in the Republic of Croatia, planned for decades and incorporated in the Strategy of Development of the Republic of Croatia (highest level zoning and planning document).
- Advising a foreign corporation on their entry into the Croatian market and their first investment in the tourism sector in the region of Dalmatia.
- Advising a foreign investor in relation to the expropriation of land which is performed in conjunction with the local municipality and county for the purpose of building a public road which will lead to a tourist resort.
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria) advises investment companies and developers on real estate and construction work associated with the development and operation of shopping centres, offices and hotels. Ana-Marija Skoko has an excellent perspective of the local market and co-heads the team alongside Gregor Famira, who splits his time between Zagreb, Vienna and Ljubljana and is responsible for overseeing the firm's real estate activity across the CEE region.
Gregor Famira; Ana-Marija Skoko
Other key lawyers:
KPA Unicon Group Oy
- Advising an SEE-focused real estate developer investing in logistic potentials in Croatia.
- Advising a prominent real estate company investing in infrastructure real estate on the development of a logistic park in Croatia, with analysis of the existing JV agreement and preparation of necessary corporate documents for SPV incorporation, including other relevant transactional and real estate support.
- Providing full-service support to a leading European operator in dependency care on its entrance into the social infrastructure market in Croatia.
Praised for its 'very hands-on and proactive approach', Divjak Topic Bahtijarevic & Krka has an excellent reputation for advising local and international investors and developers on non-contentious and contentious real estate/construction matters. While the team is appreciated for its 'overall quality' at all levels of seniority, 'exceptional' senior partner and team head Emir Bahtijarević stands out, as a result of his ability to effectively represent clients across all aspects of a project, from development and leasing, through to advice on land use and environmental issues.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Krka; Marina Kovač Krka; Iva Crnogorac; Sanja Novoselić
‘It is a very competent team and offers a wide range of services. I would say their competitive advantage is their diligence and familiarity with the market and current, as well as historical, legislation.’
‘The team provides a very hands-on and proactive approach to support clients with all local requirements.’
‘The team is generally very approachable – even at a higher (partner) level. It has made an effort to maintain good client relationships and stay familiar with our activities.’
‘Emir Bahtijarević stands out as an exceptional person to deal with: a partner to be relied on, an advisor to be listened to, and a leader to be followed.’
Hystead Limited, a subsidiary of Hyprop Investments Limited
Helios Real Estate – Zagreb Logistics Park / Poslovni Park Zagreb
Globe Trade Centre – Matrix Office Park
BOP Immobilien Gruppe
ADIDAS Croatia d.o.o.
- Providing full pre-transactional and transactional support, with post-closing issues, tenant relations and construction issues, on behalf of US private equity fund W. P. Carey on its real estate investments in Croatia.
- Advising an international group of investment management companies on general matters related to the real properties owned by the client, as well as in two litigation procedures with the Republic of Croatia as counterparty.
- Representing an international bank on underlying property issues related to real estate used as security in relation to mortgages.
Although it is perhaps best-known for its developer-side credentials, principally as a result of the firm's work for Kaufmann Holding in relation to their shopping malls in Croatia, Law Firm Glinska & Miškovic Ltd also has considerable experience advising investors, including Tower Property Fund, on real estate work within the domestic market. Team head Beata Glinska spearheads the most significant developer and investor work handled by the firm, and also regularly advises banks on the provision of financing for real estate projects.
Other key lawyers:
SPAR Hrvatska d.o.o.
Tower Property Fund Limited
Kaufmann I Hoffmann
Fortress Investment Group LLC
IR REAL ESTATE LEASING d.o.o. u likvidaciji
CEE PROPERTY-INVEST IMMOBILIEN GMBH
- Providing day-to-day advice to Tower Property Fund on its property-related work in Croatia, including work in relation to two acquisitions, one office building and one shopping centre, to be acquired by way of an asset deal.
- Continuing to advise the Croatian Subsidiary of the Austrian Retailer Spar on the acquisition and development of new retail sites.
- Provide overarching advice to IR REAL ESTATE LEASING d.o.o. and its affiliates in relation to the financing and lease of business premises, as well as the resolution of disputes related to real estate, infrastructure and general commercial matters.
Led by Jurica Reberski, the 'experienced and business-minded' team at Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC is well-versed at advising domestic and international developers, investors and end-users on all issues arising throughout the lifecycle of a real estate project. Reberski also has significant visibility among state entities, including the City of Zagreb, and is part of a governmental advisory group for the preparation of the new Land Registry Act.
Other key lawyers:
Natalija Perić; Nikola Kokot; Martina Strukić Šarić; Inja Štajduhar; Marko Martinković; Nina Ovčar
‘The experienced and business-minded team has deep real estate knowledge.’
City of Zagreb
Rimac Automobiles Ltd.
MFI International Real Estate Adriatic d.o.o.
Unit Investment N.V. & Uni Viridas d.o.o. (Unit Group)
ZAGREB CITY HOLDING Ltd. (Zagrebački Holding d.o.o.).
MEŠIĆ COM d.o.o.
Pepco Croatia d.o.o.
GIP PIONIR d.o.o.
DIOKI d.d. in bankruptcy
- Representing the City of Zagreb across the entire array of property rights relations and land registry issues, including advice in relation to the Badel Block development.
- Advising Rimac Automobiles on a highly complex contractual matter, which is related to new industrial facility investment and in preparation of full-scale real estate documentation, as well as in commercial law issues, arising from conducting the company’s business operations.
- Advising Unit Investment N.V. & Uni Viridas d.o.o. on the process of construction and operation of 9.7MW biomass power plant in Babina Greda and ancillary drying facility.
A well-established name in the market, Bogdanovic, Dolicki & Partners is regularly instructed by banks, investors and developers across a range of commercial property matters, including as it relates to project development and financing, zoning and construction.
Hanzekovic & Partners
Led by Jasminka Čorda Truhar, Hanzekovic & Partners has a particularly strong reputation handling construction matters, largely due to Truhar's 'market-leading knowledge of FIDIC-form contracts', which enables her to effectively advise on the front-end of deals, as well as any subsequent disputes that may arise. As well as the firm's construction prowess, which manifests itself in many high-profile infrastructure projects, the team has also handled some NPL-related real estate work.
Jasminka Čorda Truhar
Other key lawyers:
‘Jasminka Čorda Truhar has market-leading knowledge of FIDIC-form contracts.’
ADRIS GRUPA d.d.
Hrvatske autoceste d.o.o.
- Representing ADRIS GRUPA as acquirer in the process of takeover of the high-value real estate in Croatia, through the assignment of NPL, which claims are secured by the collateral on such real estate.
Often underpinned by corporate and finance expertise, M&S Partners' multi-disciplinary real estate offering is greatly appreciated by foreign investors, in particular on their commercial property transactions in Croatia. A significant amount of this work relates to the tourism sector and involves the development of resorts and hotels, from either a brownfield or greenfield perspective. Andrej Šooš Maceljski and Nikola Berović co-head the team and are well-versed at working closely with other property professionals, including architects and surveyors, to ensure that major real estate projects are undertaken in an efficient manner.
Andrej Šooš Maceljski; Nikola Berović
Other key lawyers:
Potjeh Kurtović; Kristina Banić
Praised for its 'responsiveness and pragmatic problem solving approach', Madirazza & Partners is well regarded by stakeholders as a result of its familiarity and expertise across all issues associated with the development of real estate, from securing permits and negotiating leases, through to the acquisition of property via asset and share deals. Led by Ivan Madirazza, the team also generates a significant amount of real estate-related work on behalf of core client Zagrebačka banka, including advice on secured lending, real estate foreclosure proceedings and mortgage agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Tin Težak; Luka Dorotić; Ana Valjalo
‘I appreciate the team because of its responsiveness and pragmatic problem solving approach.’
‘The office has managed to build a stable core of key employees, which can be relied on to provide focused advice on any issue.’
Zagrebačka banka d.d.
Zagreb nekretnine d.o.o.,
- Advising Zagreb nekretnine across a range of matters, including asset foreclosure proceedings, public auctions of real estate, and drafting lease and rent agreements.
- Advising Zagrebačka banka on public auctions of real estate in insolvency proceedings, real estate foreclosure proceedings, mortgage agreements, and representing the client in real estate-related litigation.
Co-headed by Sanja Porobija and Margita Kiš Kapetanović, Porobija & Porobija has strong ties with a wide range of stakeholders, including banks, lessors, investors and developers, and is consequently well-placed to provide rounded and balanced advice across the gamut of commercial property matters. The team has a particular strength advising on energy and infrastructure-related real estate work; it continues to represent the lenders on the development of Phase 2B2-1 of the Istrian Y Motorway.
Sanja Porobija; Margita Kiš Kapetanović
Arena Hospitality Group d.d.
UniCredit, Zagrebačka banka d.d. and BancaIMI
- Advising the lessee on a new five-star hotel development in Zagreb city centre (work which included due diligence, long-term lease agreement negotiations and drafting, and development matters).
- Advising the lenders on, inter alia, real estate and construction matters related to Phase 2B2-1 of Istrian Epsilon Motorway (doubling of Tunnel Učka).
- Advising the client on turnkey contract, independent engineer contract and design contract for business building (office and service and maintenance centre) in Zagreb.
The 'knowledgeable, experienced and well-organised' team at Schoenherr in cooperation with Croatian lawyers is well regarded by international investors, developers and banks for its 'solutions-oriented approach' to handling their Croatian real estate matters. Team head Ksenija Šourek combines 'great legal skills with a deep understanding of the real estate market', particularly as it relates to retail development work. The practice also regularly works alongside colleagues from across the firm's CEE/SEE network on regional work with a Croatian nexus.
‘Schoenherr is simply the best! The lawyers are knowledgeable, experienced, well-organised, but at the same time very nice and pleasant to work with.’
‘The firm always provides feedback within the same day, has a very solution-oriented approach and always provides a comprehensive overview over the whole project and the potential risks.’
‘Ksenija Šourek is a top-notch lawyer with not only great legal skills, but also a deep understanding of the real estate market. Her broad knowledge and constant availability make her really stand out.’
S IMMO AG
FACC Operations GmbH
Peek & Cloppenburg
UNIQA Real Estate Management GmbH
HETA (previously Hypo Alpe Adria Bank International)
Hotelbeds Group SL.
Josip Milavić (ex-owner of Studenac)
Mutschler Outlet Holding AG
- Regularly advising LIDL, since its market entry in 2001, on various real estate aspects of development of, so far approx. 100 LIDL stores in Croatia.
- Advised S IMMO AG on the acquisition of the well-known ‘HOTO’ office building, located in the proximity of the Zagreb city centre, with a lettable area of approx. 18,000 sq. metres, from Austria’s Signa Group.
- Advised FACC on the acquisition of the construction land, having the total surface area of approx. 190,000 sq. metres, located in the proximity of the City of Zagreb, for the purpose of development of a new factory.
Benefiting from a substantial core real estate estate offering, as well as being able to leverage the expertise of lawyers with complementary corporate and finance expertise, in particular, the 'professional, proactive and business-oriented' two-partner team at Wolf Theiss - Zagreb branch is well-versed across a range of commercial real estate work for banks, funds and high-net-worth individuals. Team head Josip Martinić has strong credentials in the local real estate field and also regularly works alongside practitioners from across the firm's international network on CEE/SEE-related regional projects.
‘The team is professional, proactive and business-oriented.’
B2 Holding ASA
DDM Group AG
Erste Group Bank AG
Frühwald Holding Gesellschaft m. b. H.
Hemisphere International Properties B.V.
NTT Data Croatia d.o.o.
REWE International AG and BIPA GmbH
ROCA Croatia d.d.
Signa Property Funds Deutschland
- Advising Signa Property Funds Deutschland on the sale of HOTO Tower in Zagreb.
- Advising Hemisphere International Properties B.V. on the sale of five large shopping centres in Croatia leased to a single tenant.
- Advising Roca Croatia with regards to the unimplemented land register ownership status over a large business building sold by the client in 2000.
All three name partners of newly established firm Fabijanić, Mirošević & Vuković Law Firm Ltd have considerable expertise in the real estate sector which they successfully developed over their many years' tenure at leading domestic outfit Divjak Topic Bahtijarevic & Krka. The firm has consequently 'hit the ground running' since its establishment in April 2019, advising across a range of work including as it relates to commercial leases and construction contracts. Team head Marin Vuković has particular experience handling non-contentious and contentious construction work.
Other key lawyers:
Igor Mirošević; Juraj Fabijanić
ACCIONA ENERGÍA S.A.
ALUFLEXPACK Novi d.o.o.
KONZUM plus d.o.o.
Poliklinika Milojević d.o.o.
Petrim d.o.o., Donja Jagodnja
PRIVLAKA agricultural cooperative,
ARHITEKTURA DUPLANČIĆ, društvo s ograničenomodgovornošću, Zagreb
Northern Velebit National park Public institution, Krasno
ALTERA – d.o.o., Sigetec Ludbreški
Mr Darijo Srna
- Providing real estate advice to ACCIONA ENERGÍA in relation to its ongoing renewable energy projects in Croatia.
- Advises KONZUM plus in its capacity as a tenant, including in relation to the fulfillment of various seller and tenant post-closing obligations under several sale-and-lease back transactions, related to more than a dozen different retail premises spread across Croatia.
- Advised Petrim and negotiated on its behalf a construction contract for the erection of a fish production facility in the Dalmatia region of Croatia.
Ilej & Partners, in cooperation with Karanovic & Partners has 'strong knowledge of how complex real estate projects are put together', from planning, zoning and permitting, to financing and construction and finally to operation. Franka Baica, who 'stands out for her deep knowledge of corporate, financing and property aspects of real estate', co-heads the team alongside Goran Ilej.
Goran Ilej; Franka Baica
‘We have co-operated on a due diligence report for a portfolio transaction, the team’s input was very well drafted, to-the-point and always on time.’
‘The firm has strong knowledge of how complex real estate projects are put together. The team focuses on the important issues and is very responsive.’
‘Franka Baica stands out for her deep knowledge of corporate, financing and property aspects of real estate.’
Optima Befektesi Alapkezelo
CBS International d.o.o. (Cushman & Wakefield)
SGS Adriatica d.o.o.
HÖRMANN HRVATSKA d.o.o.
- Acted as Croatian local counsel to Hungary’s Optima Befektesi Alapkezelo on its acquisition of a majority stake in Globe Trade Centre S.A. from Lone Star Funds.
- Advising CBS International d.o.o. (part of Cushman & Wakefield) on its operations in Croatia.
- Advising one of the leading world manufacturers of PVC window systems and products in relation to all aspects of relocation of their production site in Croatia.
Law Office Lacmanovic
Led by Anita Krizmanić, Macesic & Partners LLC's 'knowledgeable' real estate team is particularly accomplished at handling property-related disputes, including a considerable amount of work for banks with regard to defaulted loans secured by property.
‘The knowledgeable team displays excellent communication and commitment to the client.’
Erste & Steiermarkische Bank
Combining Josip Marohnić's regulatory specialism and team head Tena Tomek's overarching real estate expertise, Marohnic, Tomek & Gjoic, Law Firm has a particularly strong reputation advising on the real estate aspects of energy projects. Outside of the energy sector, the team is well-versed at handling commercial real estate acquisitions and development, including work within the leisure industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very efficient and productive.’
Balkan Properties Limited UK
LCN Capital Partners
- Advising LCN Capital Partners in managing a portfolio of Fortenova Group (Konzum) operated retail properties.
- Advised long-term client Zagreb Logistics Park in a build-to-suit development of a new fourth hall in the largest Croatian logistics park.
- Advising the developers of the new city hotel in Split, the first Accor branded hotel on the Adriatic.