The powerhouse projects and infrastructure team at Arias remains a leader in advising national and multinational clients on large-scale, high-value operations. The group offers a diverse range of services, including assisting with infrastructure concessions, public project financing, regulatory advice, due diligence, disputes with the government and procurement proceedings. An experienced team is led by administrative procedure expert Carlos Ubico and backed by senior counsel Luis Diego Obando and associate Mónica Espinoza, who are both specialists in public law. The group represents clients including Telefonica and the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, across such sectors as telecoms, energy, hospitality, tech, non-profit and pharmaceuticals.
Projects and infrastructure in Costa Rica
‘Carlos Ubico works very well and always has a good knowledge of the subject.’
‘It is an agile and quality service.’
Ministry of Public Works and Transport (MOPT)
Green Generation Go
Sardinal Water Trust
- Advising Telefonica on the sale of its regional operations in Central America, including applying to the Ministry of Environment, Energy and Telecommunications to request authorisation to transfer the telecoms concession.
- Advised McKinsey Mexico’s office on the presentation of offers and the execution of contracts with Banco Nacional de Costa Rica (BNCR) to conduct a human resources evaluation, governed by public procurement regulations.
- Advising not-for-profit organisation NBME on an agreement negotiated between the company and the Costa Rican Social Security Administration (CCSS) relating to government procurement matters.
The public law and environmental law department at Dentons Muñoz advises clients involved in multi-jurisdictional infrastructure projects, covering matters ranging from regulatory compliance and procurement processes to structuring public-private partnerships, project finance and litigation. Led by procurement expert Kathya Araya and project finance specialist Eduardo Zúñiga, the team’s client roster includes major international clients such as Munich International Airport and the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB), across the banking and financial services, construction, energy, civil engineering and travel sectors.
Kathya Araya; Eduardo Zúñiga
‘They examine cases in detail. The team’s strong points are their fast response times and specialist knowledge.’
‘The firm understands the situation in the country and how its institutions work.’
Moffatt & Nichol
CMI – Energía
Trust El Coco
- Advised Munich Airport International on its participation as an operating subcontractor in a PPP aimed at operating El Salvador’s airport international and cargo terminals.
- Advised ZVI on the construction of two highway projects.
- Advised CMI Group on four PPA contracts regarding the fulfilment of its obligations towards the Costa Rican Electricity Institute.
The multi-disciplinary projects group at BLP advises clients at the local and international levels on a diverse spectrum of issues. Such matters include governmental budget issues, tendering processes, public-private partnerships, public procurement, public debt, and project development and finance. The team is spearheaded by founding partners David Gutiérrez and Luis M. Castro, and administrative and government law expert Luis Ortiz. Julio Castellanos, who has expertise in advising multilateral financial entities on the financing of energy and infrastructure projects, is also noted. The team's portfolio includes international financial institutions such as the International Finance Corporation (IF), IADB and Credit Suisse Securities.
David Gutierrez; Luis M. Castro; Luis Ortiz
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)
FMO, OeEB, and Proparco
US Exim Bank
Citigroup Global Markets
Credit Suisse Securities
MPC Capital and ANSA McAL
- Advised the IFC on the financing of infrastructure renovation projects in the Costa Rican capital.
- Advised Globalvia Inversiones on the structuring of an innovative $350.75m dual offering of international and local project bonds by Autopistas del Sol, which operates the Ruta 27 toll road concession.
- Advised the IADB on the regulatory authorisation process as issuer and on the issuance of a bond programme for the anchoring of its Costa Rican currency operations and infrastructure projects.
The projects group at Aguilar Castillo Love assists national and multinational companies with the development of infrastructure projects from the ground up. Headed by energy and infrastructure project expert Ruben Zamora Castro, and backed by associate María Cristina Corrales, a public law specialist, the team’s services extend to advising on regulatory compliance and public law, public service concession contracts, and public procurement. The group’s client roster spans the banking and financial services, energy and tech industries.
Ruben Zamora Castro
Camara Empresas Distribución Energía & Telecomunicaciones (CEDET)
Sociedad Portuaria de Caldera
Compañía Hidroeléctrica Doña Julia (CHDJ)
Hidroeléctrica Platanar (HPSA)
Hidroenergía del General
Compañía Palma Tica & Grupo Numar
- Advised Temenos México on the public bidding for the acquisition and implementation of an integrated solution for the credit processes of Banco Popular y de Desarrollo Comunal.
- Advising DXC Technology in relation to the public bidding to the Ministry of Finance of Costa Rica for technology cloud services.
- Advising Empresa Eléctrica Matamoros, which specialises in project operation and maintenance in the power industry, on the sale of Compañía Hidroeléctrica Doña Julia.
The public law team at Consortium Legal advises local and international clients on a broad span of matters related to the development of large-scale infrastructure projects. Such issues include project finance, public bidding and procurement, public-private participation in projects, and proceedings before the administrative and constitutional authorities. The experienced team is led by foreign investment expert Rolando Laclé Zuñiga and senior associate Roy Ramos, who has extensive experience in the public sector. The group represents clients across the energy, infrastructure and telecoms sectors.
Rolando Laclé Zuñiga; Roy Ramos
The experienced public law and projects group at Oller Abogados advises national and multinational clients on a diverse array of infrastructure-related issues, including public contracts, bidding processes, regulatory issues and contentious proceedings with government institutions. Directed by procurement authority Roberto Esquivel, the team is supported by senior partner and head of corporate Pedro Oller, senior partner and constitutional practice director Rubén Hernández, and associates Andrés Mercado, who is a public law expert, and Jose Prado, who advises clients on establishing a local presence. The group’s client portfolio spans the energy, health, aviation and infrastructure sectors.
‘What makes Oller Abogados stand out is the ability to advise on any issues I need. They always provide sincere and objective advice.’
‘The team has a very personal approach to clients, especially when you take into account that most people who require assistance are in a pressing situation.’
WRB Serra Partners
Compañia Panameña De Aviación
Petróleos Delta Costa Rica
Constructora Navarro y Avilés
Feilo Sylvania Costa Rica
- Advised WBR Serra Partners on purchasing a solar power company.
- Advised Acciona Agua on the execution and final delivery of a major environmental improvement project being carried out by the Costa Rican Institute of Aqueducts and Sewers, including acting for the client in administrative complaints.
- Advised the joint venture between Promoción Médica (Promed) and a construction company on the public bid process for the design, construction, equipment and maintenance of a new radiotherapy centre.