Baker McKenzie FenXun has solidified its presence in the TMT space, with expertise encompassing M&A, IT and outsourcing transactions, and a vast array of regulatory and compliance work. The firm offers TMT clients solutions spanning corporate, intellectual property, dispute resolution, privacy, regulatory, and tax facets. Spearheading the practice is senior counsel Jay (Zhenyu) Ruan, an expert in corporate, M&A, and regulatory matters within China. Ruan’s vast expertise ranges from joint ventures and technology licensing for tech entities to e-commerce and data privacy counsel for multinational fashion, retail, and healthcare firms, as well as regulatory advice for financial institutions.
TMT: foreign firms in China
Baker McKenzie FenXun
Jay (Zhenyu) Ruan
Becton Dickinson & Co
Gulf Innova Company Limited
- Assisted Porsche with customer-facing documents and regulatory issues concerning the launch of the new version of the Porsche Connect mobile app in Mainland China and Hong Kong.
- Advised Chanel on technology-related regulations in Hong Kong and Mainland China, including concerning platforms, online consumer law, artificial intelligence, metaverses, cyber security, NFTs, blockchain and cryptocurrencies.
- Advised Gulf on a joint venture in Thailand with a major centralized digital asset exchange firm (Exchange) originating in China and the drafting of a technical services agreement between the JV and the regulated Thai entity of the Exchange for the provision of a cloud-based solution by the crypto exchange firm.
Bird & Bird’s expertise in the TMT sector is reflected in its in-depth knowledge of both commercial and regulatory areas, notably in complex data and data protection projects. The firm advises on the full spectrum of issues that arise from tech transactions, encompassing a diverse array of legal domains ranging from IP, cybersecurity, and data protection, to employment, corporate, and dispute resolution. Its clients operate in industries such as cloud, IT and telecom, e-commerce and IoT, as well as life sciences tech. Leading the department is James Gong, a TMT specialist with an acute focus on data protection and cybersecurity, as well as regulatory and transactional matters. Gong expertly guides both foreign and domestic multinational companies in navigating data compliance projects, especially those with cross-border elements.
Stryker Pacific Ltd
Anker Innovations Limited
Water21 Holdings Limited
- Advised Sony on compliance with PRC data protection laws and regulations.
- Advising on the management of Riot Games’ extensive trade mark portfolio in China, Hong Kong and Macau, and assist the client with protection of their game characters and e-sport league properties.
- Advised Stryker Pacific Ltd on its compliance with the applicable privacy and data protection legislations and provided DPO services where required.
Hogan Lovells International LLP offers a wide range of expertise, spanning corporate and finance, IPMT, global regulatory, litigation, and employment. The firm addresses key areas like privacy, cybersecurity, fintech, and blockchain, offering services such as market access analysis, regulatory counsel, and compliance report drafting. Spearheaded by Mark Parsons from Hong Kong, the team includes Sherry Gong, who excels in data privacy, cybersecurity, and e-commerce, guiding multinationals through intricate cross-border undertakings. Don Williams supports TMT companies across all stages from startup to mature public company, encompassing areas such as VC/PE financing and M&A. Tong Zhu specialises in data privacy and e-commerce in China, offering advice on data-related challenges including data localisation and IT structure implications. Flora Feng aids foreign enterprises in navigating regulatory matters in China, notably in cybersecurity and personal data protection arenas, while Lu Zhou represents multinational corporations and PE fund clients in cross-border M&A, venture capital investments, and restructuring.
Other key lawyers:
Sherry Gong; Don Williams; Tommy Liu; Jessie Xie; Tong Zhu; Flora Feng; Lu Zhou
‘What impresses me the most is how diligent the HL team is in handling client requests. They always handle billing properly and in a timely manner, which helps us a lot in terms of budget control.’
‘The core lawyers we work with are Tommy Liu and Mark Parsons. Not only are they very professional in the field of legal practice, but the team is always able to solve problems raised by clients in every possible way.’
Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
USANA Health Science Inc.
- Advised Kuaishou on its: multi-jurisdictional and global data compliance project; and launch of its live streaming video in various jurisdictions globally.
- Advising HKEX on an ongoing basis in relation to data protection and electronic execution aspects of Project FINI (Fast Interface for New Issuance), to comprehensively streamline and digitalise Hong Kong’s Initial Public Offering settlement process.
- Assisting USANA on a global data protection compliance program to conduct a full-aspect evaluation on the compliance of USANA’s data processing operations in its markets.
Morrison Foerster’s Greater China TMT practice serves a range of industry-leading companies in the sector, offering ‘excellent commercial and legal acumen’ as well as on-the-ground experience. Combining sector knowledge with venture capital and private equity expertise, the firm is regularly instructed by both start-ups and tech investors. The team is skilled in handling the detailed regulatory requirements of the internet, telecoms, cloud, payments, and cybersecurity spheres. Leading the group are Gordon Miller, Chuan Sun, and Paul McKenzie. Milner, based in Hong Kong, advises a broad range of clients in areas including e-commerce, blockchain, and intellectual property. Sun, in Shanghai, specialises in TMT transactions and focuses on areas like fintech, data security, and robotics. McKenzie works with international TMT companies, helping them navigate their legal challenges in China. Thomas Chou and Marcia Ellis, both located in Hong Kong, bring valuable private equity experience to the table.
Gordon Miller; Paul McKenzie; Chuan Sun
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Chou; Marcia Ellis
‘Excellent commercial and legal acumen. Dedicated team with attention to detail.
‘Chuan Sun is exceptional. Excellent service with commercial perspective and practical advice.’
‘MoFo TMT team has a deep understanding of the complicated TMT laws and regulations in China and is familiar with the market practices for many typical challenges faced by foreign TMT companies in China and can offer practical and helpful legal advice to their clients.’
‘Gordon Milner really stands out. Gordon understands the technical aspects of the deals or issues and can communicate effectively with his client’s technical team. Gordon is easy to work with, highly responsible, and always puts his client’s interests first. He is the most logical lawyer that I have worked with and is really good at negotiation.’
Princeton Digital Group
SoftBank Vision Fund
- Advised SoftBank Group Corp. and SoftBank Vision Fund (together, “SoftBank”) on their acquisition of a substantial interest in Arm China.
- Represented Roblox in the structuring and establishment of its joint venture with Tencent (Luobu), the launch and ongoing operations of the Roblox platform, and the management and cultivation of its associated community of creators in China.
- Advised Amperex Technology Limited in its RMB14 billion joint ventures for mid-size battery cells and packs and US$1.5 billion technology cross-license arrangement with Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited.
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP has cemented its reputation for executing high-end, complex transactions spanning the realms of M&A, private equity, and TMT-related activities. The group extends its support to a diverse clientele, including local and foreign corporations and private equity firms, in their TMT-related pursuits within China. Co-heads Judie Ng Shortell and Greg Liu steer the team. Ng Shortell’s expertise shines in the realms of regional private equity and cross-border M&A, helping clients navigate complex transactions like leveraged buy-outs, privatisations, and strategic investments, while Liu’s expertise lies in advising corporates and private equity clients, especially on investments and M&As tied to Chinese entities. Counsel Jack Sun further enriches the practice with his focus on China-related private equity investments, cross-border M&A activities, and foreign direct investments.
Judie Ng Shortell; Greg Liu
Other key lawyers:
L Catterton Asia
- Advised L Catterton Asia as the lead investor in a series B financing round of over US$50 million in Nebula Brands, a leading Chinese Amazon vendors aggregator. Nebula Brands is a tech-driven company that acquires and grows Chinese third-party Amazon vendors.
CMS provides expert counsel to TMT companies and to traditional businesses navigating TMT complexities, including those in the automotive, banking, healthcare, and public sector spheres. The team is led by Ulrike Glueck and Nick Beckett - Glueck’s expertise spans advising international companies on M&A, foreign direct investments, and restructuring, especially within automotive, manufacturing and TMC sectors. Beckett, on the other hand, excels in intellectual property and commercial dispute resolution, particularly for clients in TMT, life sciences, and healthcare. The firm also benefits from Falk Lichtenstein’s focus on corporate and dispute resolution issues, senior associate Panpan Tang’s intellectual property specialisation, and associate Kelly Chen’s data protection and cybersecurity experience.
Ulrike Glueck; Nick Beckett
Other key lawyers:
Falk Lichtenstein; Panpan Tang; Kelly Chen
Warner Music Group
- Advises US technology company Bruker on investment in Tofwerk.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP assists clients with matters ranging from data privacy and cybersecurity to navigating M&A, funding, IP rights, and competition issues, showcasing expertise in diverse tech sectors such as biotech, autotech, and fintech. The firm’s joint operation with Kewei Law Firm enhances its local legal capabilities, facilitating domestic and cross-border TMT transactions. Nanda Lau, Justina Zhang, and Singapore’s Mark Robinson lead the practice. Lau’s expertise extends from M&A to tech regulatory challenges. Meanwhile, TMT-specialist Zhang, a partner at Kewei who joined in June 2023 from TransAsia Lawyers, offers significant knowledge in corporate transactions and regulatory compliance.
Mark Robinson; Nanda Lau; Justina Zhang
Other key lawyers:
Tommy Tong; Jason Sung; Jeremy Shen; Peng Lei
Hua Hong Semiconductor Limited
Kunshan Technology Investment (HK) Limited, Southwind Group Limited and Anglo Chinese Corporate Finance Limited
- Advising Blackstone on its acquisition of a majority stake in Emerson’s Climate Technologies business in a transaction valuing Climate Technologies at $14.0 billion.
- Advising Kunshan Technology, Southwind Group and their financial adviser in a competing rescue proposal for Joye Media as its shareholder through a EUR620 million cash injection against hostile competition by another external investor group seeking to gain control.
- Advising Sanofi on its €300 million strategic equity investment in Chinese biopharmaceutical company Innovent Biologics.
Based in Hong Kong, Latham & Watkins LLP’s Greater China TMT team showcases a broad spectrum of regulatory, transactional, and litigation expertise in the tech domain, from tech transactions and intellectual property to data privacy and security. Co-head Kieran Donovan is renowned for his role in advising leading Asia-based firms on shaping and executing global data compliance strategies for information processing, including data protection and privacy. Frank Sun, his counterpart, advises Chinese tech entities on M&A.
Kieran Donovan; Frank Sun
Other key lawyers:
Happy Starlight Limited
Silicon Motion Technology
Linklaters’ expertise encompasses tech, telecoms, data privacy and cybersecurity, as well as IP protection and regulatory issues. At the forefront of the China TMT practice is counsel Alex Roberts, who brings deep insights on a spectrum of TMT concerns, from cross-border investments into online platforms to IP protection and licensing. Roberts works closely with TMT associates at the partnering Zhao Sheng Law Firm, enabling the group to advise on both PRC and international law. Meanwhile, Adrian Fisher steers the broader Asian TMT practice from Singapore.
Adrian Fisher; Alex Roberts
Axiata Group Berhad
Bank of East Asia, Limited
Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited
Chinese-controlled entity controlling Global Switch
Jardine Matheson Limited
Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore)
Xiamen International Bank Co. Ltd.
- Advised Citibank on its innovative partnership with China Guangfa Bank under the new cross-boundary wealth management connect scheme in the Greater Bay Area.
- Advised Microsoft on the Chinese merger filing for its US$70bn proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, the largest cash deal in history.
- Acting for a Chinese-controlled entity controlling Global Switch in relation to the sale of the Global Switch Data Centre business across 11 jurisdictions.
Clifford Chance LLP’s TMT expertise spans practice areas from M&A and venture capital to regulatory, tax, and antitrust matters. With an on-the-ground team, the group guides its Chinese and international clients on complex TMT transactions. Leading the practice are Kelly Gregory, who excels in TMT-related corporate and M&A activities for both local and multinational entities, and Terence Foo, adept at handling both inbound and outbound investments in the TMT arena. Complementing the team, Yufei Liao brings deep insights into corporate M&A, private equity, and capital markets.
Kelly Gregory; Terence Foo
Other key lawyers:
Linmon Media Limited
Huitongda Network Co., Ltd.
Shokz (formerly AfterShokz)
Zhejiang Leapmotor Technology Co., Ltd.
JF Wealth Holding Ltd.
Dingdang Medicine Express Technology Group Company Limited
Qingdao AInnovation Technology Co. Ltd.
Gotion High Tech Co., Ltd.
- Advised Zhejiang Leapmotor Technology Co., Ltd. on its US$807 million initial public offering and listing on the mainboard of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised Tencent as lead investor in the Series B fundraising round of Flip, Indonesia’s leading consumer payments platform.
- Acting for a leading Chinese smartphone maker (as Respondent) in a TMT-related, Hong Kong-seated HKIAC arbitration for more than US$160 million brought by a prior joint venture partner related to encryption software.
The Greater China TMT group at DLA Piper handles multinational tech matters ranging from strategic sourcing, software development and IT project implementation to addressing complexities tied to e-money and cybersecurity. Leading the practice from Hong Kong is Lauren Hurcombe, who guides multinational companies on complex technology transactions, IT licensing, and telecoms regulatory issues. Beijing-based counsel Amanda Ge, a July 2022 addition from Bird & Bird, brings expertise in cyber security, data protection, and related regulatory matters in China.
Other key lawyers:
Amanda Ge; Venus Cheung
Ping An Technology / OneConnect
The Hut Group
- Advising a leading SaaS provider on its collaboration with a Chinese multinational technology company, on its cloud integration and offering of its DevOps solution and services to customers in Mainland China
- Advising leading technology data management company on a large scale software integration and implementation project for China hospitals.
- Advising international drinks manufacturer on the formation and operation of a manufacturing and distribution JV to expand operations in the Greater China region.
Mayer Brown’s Hong Kong-based team offers advice on a diverse array of contemporary issues, from AI, blockchain, and virtual banking to cybersecurity and the nuances of fintech platforms. Gabriela Kennedy leads the team with her experience in handling data privacy and cybersecurity issues across various Asian jurisdictions, and proficiency in media litigation, IT sourcing, and telecoms regulations. Amita Haylock specialises in complex litigation and alternate dispute resolution, particularly in telecoms, broadcasting, IP, and competition law.
Other key lawyers:
Amita Haylock; TL Lim; Joshua Woo
‘Amita Haylock is a standout practitioner. She’s responsive, creative and business savvy. She is great on strategy and does not shy away from difficult answers. She makes herself available to clients and really takes the time to get to know the business. ’
University of Hong Kong/ Versitech Limited
Mirae Asset Global Investment
Corney & Barrow
Alibaba and its subsidiaries and member companies
Airport Authority Hong Kong
Zoom Video Communications, Inc.
Various insurance companies including:|• Metlife |• China Life Insurance (Overseas)|• MSIG Insurance (Hong Kong)|• Chubb Life Insurance
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP advises private equity funds and foreign clients on their China-centric ventures. Maurice Hoo steers the corporate and PE practice in Hong Kong, guiding multinationals through cross-border mergers, restructurings, and investments. Edwin Luk, co-leader of the firm’s capital markets and public companies practice, offers insights on securities regulation and a spectrum of corporate matters. Ning Zhang heads the corporate and PE team in the Beijing office, managing cross-border transactions for both private and public companies.
Maurice Hoo; Edwin Luk; Shaobin Zhu
China Distance Education
Kaidi LLC and Changzhou Kaidi Electrical Co., Ltd.
Guangdong Dongtai Metal Goods Co., Ltd.
Eileen Grays, LLC
Shanghai Xiaoi Robot Technology
Hong Kong Beida Jade Bird Display Limited
LandGlass Technology Co., Ltd.
Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation
- Represented longstanding client Sequoia Capital China Advisors Limited (Sequoia Capital) in connection with its US$500 million financing and investment in Amber Global Limited.
Norton Rose Fulbright advises clients on the tech and regulatory aspects of transactions, with notable experience in sectors including financial services, FinTech, and aviation. Anna Gamvros leads the Asia Pacific information protection, privacy and cybersecurity practice from Brisbane and Hong Kong. Her expertise lies in tech agreements, outsourcing transactions, data protection, responses to cybersecurity breaches, and regulatory challenges in the fields of telecoms and the internet.
Other key lawyers:
Etelka Bogardi; Ai Tong; Ruby Kwok
Paul Hastings LLP
Paul Hastings LLP advises clients on acquisitions, joint ventures, and a gamut of other corporate work related to TMT transactions. The group is under the joint leadership of David Wang, who brings expertise in tech-driven deals and capital markets; Jia Yan, a corporate M&A practitioner; and Meka Meng, who offers knowledge of private equity, venture capital, and joint ventures.
David Wang; Jia Yan; Meka Meng
‘Paul Hastings truly distinguishes itself through its exceptionally pragmatic approach when addressing complex matters.‘
‘David Wang isn’t just a trusted advisor; he embodies a profound sense of reliability that reassures clients even in the most challenging circumstances.‘
‘The firm is well versed in understanding the nuances of cross-border investments in and out of China.‘
Fosun Tourism Group
Universal Studios Beijing
China Media Capital
ICBC Asset Management
- Representing a leading property management service provider in China and a subsidiary of China Vanke, on its US$738 million global offering and spin-off listing on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised MultiMetaVerse Inc. in the completion of its US$300 million business combination with Model Performance Acquisition Corp, which is the first de-SPAC transaction closed in 2023 with a China-based company as the target.
- Represented Beijing Shouhuan, a consortium of four state-owned companies, in the establishment of the multi-billion-dollar Beijing Universal Resort, home of Universal Studios Beijing, Universal Citiwalk Beijing and two hotels.
Reed Smith LLP
Reed Smith LLP‘s Greater China TMT team operates under the leadership of Barbara Li in Beijing and Asha Sharma in Hong Kong. Having moved from Beijing Rui Bai Law Firm in October 2022, Li offers a comprehensive understanding of TMT, offering legal advice in relation to data compliance, privacy, and cybersecurity, as well as China’s TMT regulations and GDPR. Meanwhile, Amy Yin provides expertise in data protection and TMT transactions across various industries.
Barbara Li; Asha Sharma
Other key lawyers:
‘For TMT issues, this firm’s strength is their ability to take an issue described at a high level and tell you what laws and regulations are potentially implicated. This has been invaluable to us for project planning and issue spotting as we moved into an area where we did not have much experience.’
‘Barbara Li deserves special mention. I have worked with her extensively and am pleased with her responsiveness, expertise, and professionalism.’
Taylor Wessing advises clients across the TMT sector, handling issues such as PRC data processing regulations and cyber security concerns. Leading the practice is Michael Tan, who is adept in corporate matters, IT regulatory, and data protection and privacy. Senior associate Julian Sun has expertise in IT regulatory, data protection, and privacy issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has demonstrated a high level of professionalism, expertise, and dedication in handling complex and sophisticated matters. Their ability to navigate intricate legal issues and provide effective solutions has been commendable.’
‘In terms of handling complex and sophisticated matters, Dr. Michael Tan has shown exceptional competence. He possesses a deep understanding of the intricacies involved in such cases and has the necessary skills to analyse and address multifaceted legal challenges. He and his team’s ability to provide strategic guidance and navigate complex legal frameworks has been invaluable, especially for newly arising service areas such as data security and cross-border transfer compliance.’
Karl Mayer Group