The maritime and admiralty practice at Wang Jing & Co has a full-service offering but has historically been prominent in maritime and insurance work. The team regularly acts on international commodity trade, infrastructure, marine leasing and financing, as well as arbitration and litigation on shipping-related cases. The firm has a strong international presence and acts for a range of overseas clients including North of England P&I Association, Japan P&I Club, and Korea P&I Club. Xiangyong Chen who splits his time between Guangzhou and Shanghai, and Jun Wang are the key names to note following the departure of Jing Wang who joined Wang Jing & GH Law Firm in 2020. Qingdao-based Hui Yuan, Xiamen-based Hui Yuan and Shanghai-based Jun Xu are further names to note. The firm also has branches in Beijing and Shenzhen.
Shipping: PRC firms in China
‘Very professional and effective in shipping matters.’
‘Stable performance at high level at reasonable cost.’
North of England P&I Association
Steamship Mutual P&I Club
Assuranceforeningen Skuld (Gjensidig)
Japan P&I Club
Thomas Miller (Hong Kong) Limited
Forerunner Shipping, as agent of Farenco Shipping PTE LTD
BRITANNIA STEAM SHIP INSURANCE ASSOCIATION LIMITED
China Merchants Commerce Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
COSCO Logistics Guangzhou
COSCO Shipping Bulk Co., Ltd.
Bank of Communications Co., Ltd., Hong Kong Branch
China Minsheng Banking Corp., Ltd., Hong Kong Branch
China National Offshore Oil Corporation
Korea P&I Club
MSC MEDITERRANEAN SHIPPING COMPANY SA
GNG Ocean Shipping Co.,Ltd
Hapag-Lloyd Pte Ltd
CR Power Company Limited
- Assisted Norwegian SKULD P&I Club with legal assistance in enforcement of court judgement for compulsory discharge and transhipment of valuable garnet cargo kept on board M/V Oriental Dragon for three years.
- Assisted Oceantrade Owners Limited with negotiating a settlement concerning allegedly damaged cargo.
- Advised UK P& I club on litigation concerning the collision of two oil tankers near Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province in China.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons operates across the full spectrum of shipping law and has particular expertise in complex and large-scale disputes. These cases involve shipping and trading disputes, liquidation of shipping enterprises, and cross-border enforcement. Other key areas of strength include financing projects, maritime preservation proceedings, and the conduct investigations. Practice head Edward Ma displays expertise in all major areas of wet and dry shipping.
Wintell & Co Law Firm
Wintell & Co Law Firm has a broad offering in shipping and has significant experience advising clients on issues such as collisions, oil pollution, marine insurance, and financial disputes. The firm advises a range of clients including insurance companies, P&I clubs, shipping companies, shipyards, and banks. Mervyn Chen heads the practice and advises on all types of wet and dry shipping claims arising out of marine casualties, and also has a strong background in marine-related insurance.
Maritime Safety Administration of the People’s Republic of China
CMB Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
COSCO SHIPPING Energy Transportation Co., Ltd.
COSCO SHIPPING Ports Limited
Sinochem International Corporation
HNA Technology Group Co., Ltd.
Alibaba Group Holding Limited
China Shipowners Mutual Assurance Association
The Japan Ship Owners’ Mutual Protection & Indemnity Association
The North of England Protecting & Indemnity Association Limited
Sveriges Ångfartygs Assurans Förening/The Swedish Club
Landbridge Holdings Limited
PICC Property and Casualty Company Limited
The Britannia Steam Ship Insurance Association Limited
The Standard Club Ltd
China Pacific Property Insurance Co., Ltd.
Nippon Yusen Kaisha
China Continent Property & Casualty Insurance Company Ltd.
The Steamship Mutual Underwriting Association (Bermuda) Limited
Huatai Insurance Company of China,Limited
Sunshine Property and Casualty Insurance Company Lim
- Provide legal services for shipwreck accidents.
- Instructed by China Pacific Property Insurance Co., Ltd. (CPIC), the insurer of the vessel, to provide legal advice and to handle the related legal issues including LOF and SCOPIC salvage etc. with the insured, relevant maritime administration and salvors.
- Advising the clients on its defence in various pollution claims from local SPRO companies and fishery bureau.
Global Law Office has a long history in the shipping sector and advises on contentious and non-contentious matters across the industry. The team is based in several locations including Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzen, and Chengdu. In addition, the team has a strong international presence and acts on many multi-jurisdictional matters. Yifeng Gao heads the practice and leads the team with co-heads Jingye Jiang and Ting Lei.
- Advised RunXing Financial Leasing Co., Ltd. on disputes for over CNY 100 million rental payment against the charterer Ningbo DeBang Dredging Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Advised China Credit Trust (ship lessor) on the ship financial leasing disputes and distribution of bankruptcy for CNY 400 million against Tianjin Port and Sea Shipping Co., Ltd., Tianjin Shunhang Shipping Co., Ltd and Ganghai (Tianjin) Construction Co.,Ltd. regarding “Gang Hai Jun 576”.
- Provided legal opinion as a PRC law expert to South Africa arbitration in respect of bonded warehousing of cargoes and ocean transportation under the PRC law.
Zhong Lun Law Firm has a Shanghai-based shipping practice with wide ranging experience in marine-related issues such as collisions and marine salvage. The practice advises on international trade contracts, disputes, ship financing, and special maritime procedures including maritime evidence preservation. Chenbiao Li heads the practice.
China P&I Club
China Special Article Logistics Co., Ltd.
Emirates Shipping Line
Skuld P&I Club
Hongfa Shipping Co.
- Advised China P&I Club and its members to handle claims relating to crew injure and cargo damage.
- Advised TT Club and its members to handle many claims relating to the HB/L issued by its members.
- Advised PICC Jiangsu on many claims relating to Hull insurance and cargo insurance.
DeHeng Law Offices
DeHeng Law Offices has a strong presence in the shipping sector with particular experience in arbitration and disputes. Key clients include shipyards, large cargo traders, and banks. Xianwei Peng, who has considerable cross-border experience, heads the practice alongside Zhiyong Zhang.
- Represented the client in AIAC arbitration and won the case after arbitration hearing.
- Represented the client in litigation before Tianjin Maritime Court.
- Represented the client in SIAC arbitration and successfully got most of the client’s money back.
Dentons China advise foreign and Chinese clients on issues concerning maritime law, international trade, marine transportation, international clearing, and marine insurance. Darong Wang heads the practice alongside Yingbo Wang, who has a strong background in shipping.