Insurance/reinsurance in Cayman Islands
Campbells 'very knowledgeable team' is led by Alan Craig and advises insurance managers on the formation, licensing and ongoing operation of captive insurance entities that are established in Cayman. The practice also has extensive experience advising Cayman-domiciled reinsurers on formations, IPOs and day-to-day matters, assisting life insurers with overseas presences, and handling catastrophe risk mandates. In a recent highlight, the team advised Automobile Dealers Mutual Insurance Company on the re-domestication of AMIC Holdings from Cayman to the US. Alistair Walters is an insurance litigation specialist.
Other key lawyers:
‘Appreciated for its length of service within the sector, in-depth knowledge of Cayman law and good commercial sense‘.
‘The strength of Campbells is the years of experience that its attorneys have, especially in dealing with insurance matters‘.
‘Alan Craig is a go-to lawyer for legal guidance in Cayman‘.
Pan-American Life Insurance
Global Captive Management
Artex Risk Solutions
Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility
Strategic Risk Solutions
Eastern Alliance Insurance Group
Crum & Forster
Cottingham & Butler
Guy Carpenter & Co
Innovative Captive Strategies
- Advised Pan-American Life Insurance Company of the Cayman Islands on compliance issues.
- Advised Strategic Risk Solutions, a global captive manager, on the restructuring of an innovative security structure for the pooling of capital support payments.
- Assisted Innovative Captive Strategies and Global Captive Management with the establishment of a group captive named Delta Indemnity Group.
Conyers has notable expertise in insurance-related M&A, regulatory advisory work, transfers by way of continuation to Cayman, catastrophe bond structures, insurance litigation and insurance financing matters. In recent work, the team advised Topsail Reinsurance on the establishment of a new reinsurance platform in Cayman, which utilises a segregated portfolio structure focusing on short-tail lines of business. Derek Stenson, who specialises in insurance, reinsurance and structured products, joined from Walkers in 2018, and counsel Rob Humphries was recruited from Bedell Cristin in 2019. Kevin Butler leads the firm’s Cayman office and Paul Smith is recommended for contentious matters.
Kevin Butler; Derek Stenson
‘Conyers has made significant advancement in the sector with its recent hire of Derek Stenson‘.
Advantage Life & Annuity Company
Aetna Life And Casualty (Bermuda)
American Specialty Insurance Company
Cayman Islands Insurance Association
Cigna International Corporation
Coinbase Insurance Company
Controlled Risk Insurance Company
Corporate Risk Insurance Company
Liberty Specialty Markets Bermuda
Limestone Insurance Company
MetLife Global Benefits
Sapphire Reinsurance Company
Saxon Motor & General Insurance Company
SDA Annuity & Life
Tower Hill Re
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners on its acquisition of independent insurance brokerage, Relation Insurance Services, from private equity firms Parthenon and Century Equity Partners.
- Advised Assurant, a global provider of risk management products and services, on the Cayman aspects of its acquisition of TWG Holdings.
- Assisted Controlled Risk Insurance Company with ongoing legal and regulatory issues.
Maples Group's practice encompasses insurance-related M&A and corporate matters, regulatory compliance work, the licensing of insurers, managers and brokers, capital insurance issues, catastrophe bond work and other special purpose insurer, reinsurance and corporate advisory matters. The firm's litigation team also assists with insurance-related disputes. Group head Tim Frawley handles the formation of new insurance companies, insurance-related corporate and regulatory advice, substantive insurance law, and alternative risk transfer structures; John Dykstra is highly regarded for catastrophe bond transactions; and Abraham Thoppil focuses on insurance regulatory matters, licensing work, restructuring mandates, insurance M&A and motor vehicle insurance.
‘The firm’s staff is professional and makes itself available for discussions‘.
United Insurance Company
Scottish Annuity & Life Insurance Company (Cayman)
Cayman First Insurance Company
Island Heritage Insurance Company
Brac Insurance Associates
- Advising Knighthead RE on insurance and corporate issues regarding proposed new initiatives.
- Advised Nomadic Insurance on proposals and policy wording.
- Provided insurance regulatory advice to Assured Guaranty.
Walkers' insurance and reinsurance practice is focused on the establishment and licensing of life and non-life insurers and reinsurers; financing and collateral arrangements; M&A, restructuring and portfolio transfers; compliance and corporate governance issues; insurance contractual reviews; regulatory due diligence; and alternative risk transfer structures. Lucy Frew is global regulatory and risk advisory group head.
- Acted as Cayman counsel for Phoenix Group on the successful onshoring of Phoenix Group Holdings from Cayman to the UK.