Insurance/reinsurance in Cayman Islands
Campbells’ insurance and reinsurance team is spearheaded by Alan Craig, who is actively involved in advising leading insurance managers on the formation, licensing and operation of a large proportion of the captive insurance entities established in the Cayman Islands. He also advises reinsurers established in and re-domesticating to Cayman, as well as foreign insurers participating in the domestic market, particularly in relation to M&A and insurance-related capital market products. The group is advising the owners of Global Captive Management on the sale of the company to Holmes Murphy. Another key practitioner to note is insurance litigation specialist Alistair Walters, who specialises in acting for major insurance carriers in commercial litigation and other disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Insurance team at Campbells is unmatched in their knowledge and application of the Cayman Islands Insurance Laws and Regulations to all matters (advisory, drafting of statutory and insurance documents, etc..). Always attentive and very professional in their service.’
‘Heading up the Insurance practice I have found Alan Craig the go to person on all insurance related matters in the Cayman Islands. His study and knowledge of Insurance Laws and Regulations puts him at the forefront of the industry in Cayman. Applying the law very effectively across all different types of corporate entities in a bespoke manner for each company is a highly valued attribute.’
Cooper Gay / Ed Broking
ICWI (Insurance Company of the West Indies)
Pan-American Life Insurance
Global Captive Management
Artex Risk Solutions
Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility
Strategic Risk Solutions
Eastern Alliance Insurance Group
Crum & Forster
Cottingham & Butler
Guy Carpenter & Co
Innovative Captive Strategies
- Advising the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility on the funding of the Caribbean Ocean and Aquaculture Sustainability Facility (a program to provide insurance protection to regional fishing industries in respect of catastrophe risks) by the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- Advising the owners of Global Captive Management on the sale of the company to Holmes Murphy / Innovative Captive Strategies.
- Advising Special Markets Insurance Consultants on the establishment of an innovative structure concerning the operation of a programme of insurance to cover international students while attending educational institutions in the US.
Led by Derek Stenson, the dedicated team of insurance specialists at Conyers is instructed on a substantial portion of the region's major reinsurer establishments, mergers, and migrations. With close ties to leading insurance firms in the US and the firm’s Bermuda office, the group advises on alternative risk transfers, catastrophe bonds, insurance-related M&A, regulatory advisory mandates, insurance litigation and insurance financing matters. Key clients include insurers, reinsurers, captive owners, insurance managers and insurance consultants. Counsel Rob Humphries and associate Philippa Gilkes are further names to note; elsewhere, Alex Potts QC joined the department from Kennedys' Bermuda office and is now contentious insurance and reinsurance practice head.
Controlled Risk Insurance Company (CRICO)
Ivy Re Limited
Royal Bank of Canada
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
Oxford Risk Management Group
Specialty Insurance Company SPC
Maple Leaf Insurance SPC
Y-Bridge Insurance SPC
United Health Group
- Acted as Cayman counsel for Ivy Re Limited on the establishment of Ivy Co-Investment Vehicle LLC, designed to co-invest approximately $1bn with Global Atlantic and its subsidiaries in qualifying reinsurance transactions.
- Advised RBC on the establishment of a new Class D licensed reinsurer in the Cayman Islands, RBC Insurance Company (Cayman) Limited.
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners on the Cayman legal and regulatory aspects of the acquisition of an independent insurance brokerage, Relation Insurance Services, from private equity firms, Parthenon and Century Equity Partners.
Working closely with the firm’s regulatory, corporate, finance and dispute resolution specialists, Walkers' insurance group is instructed on a wide range of matters in the insurance and reinsurance space. In addition to its expertise in establishing and licensing life and non-life insurers and reinsurers, the team also acts on financing arrangements, M&A, restructurings, alternative risk transfer structures and regulatory issues, aided by the firm’s ‘strong knowledge of regulatory requirements’. Insurance-linked securities expert Philip Paschalides, global regulatory head Lucy Frew, David Collins and Nick Dunne are all key names to note, handling an assortment of insurance and reinsurance mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements. Understand the business – not just the law. Responsive. Good contacts and relationship with regulator.’
‘David Collins – Highly qualified, has both accounting and legal background. Sarah Dombowsky – Associate who is focused on serving needs of clients, responding quickly to questions and queries and highly accurate and technically correct in all respects.’
Maples Group’s insurance team, which is led by Tim Frawley, is particularly active in insurance-related M&A and corporate matters and regulatory compliance work. As well as advising on the licensing of insurers, managers and brokers and capital insurance issues, the group also has experience in insurance-related disputes. Abraham Thoppil and John Dykstra are other key lawyers in the group; Dykstra is highly adept at dealing with catastrophe bond transactions.
‘Highly knowledgeable. Good regulatory experience. Responsive to queries.’
‘Abraham Thoppil is highly responsive and gives direct answers and guidance. Abraham is highly supportive of the jurisdiction and our company. Proactively reaches out when matters impacting our company arise.’
United Insurance Company
Signature Insurance Company
Cayman First Insurance Company Limited
Oxbridge Reinsurance Limited
Knighthead Annuity & Life Assurance Company
Nassau Re (Cayman) Ltd.
Island Heritage Insurance Company, Ltd.
Brac Insurance Associates Ltd.
Magni Re Ltd.
NIB Travel Services Limited
Oxbridge Re NS
Nassau Re (Cayman Brac) Ltd.
- Advising Knighthead on ongoing matters; most recently provided insurance and corporate advice relating to proposed new initiatives.
- Providing ongoing advice to Insurance Managers Association/Cayman Finance in relation to new legislative initiatives for the insurance industry in the Cayman Islands.
- Advised NIB Travel Services Limited on proposals and policy wording.