The ‘excellent’ Quebec team at Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP demonstrates strength in commercial litigation and is regularly involved in major class actions. The practice also leverages the firm’s competition and securities law expertise. Aerospace, telecoms, mining, tech and retail companies frequently feature on the group’s client roster. At the helm of the practice, Louis-Martin O’Neill specializes in M&A, corporate, securities, commercial and insolvency disputes. Key department figures include William Brock, who acts for both Canadian and foreign corporations and government entities; and Guy Du Pont, who is well-versed in representing clients in class actions and mass tax appeals. Nick Rodrigo, Jean-Philippe Groleau and Julie Girard are also noted for their litigation expertise. Nathalie Goyette was appointed as a judge of the Federal Court of Appeal in October 2022, and Cara Cameron also left the firm in November 2022.
Dispute resolution: Quebec in Canada
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
‘Excellent team – available and they understand clients’ needs.’
‘They are able to go further than simple legal counsel.’
Morgan Stanley Canada
Turquoise Hill Resources
- Acted for CAE before the Federal Court of Appeal regarding their dispute with the Canada Revenue Agency with respect to the characterization of an unconditionally refundable loan from the Government of Canada.
- Represented Honeywell International against Bombardier in the context of a $450m claim.
- Acted for Brault & Martineau and Ameublements Tanguay in defence of a class action instituted against retailers in Québec claiming that their advertisement informing of the availability of consumer credit contravenes the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act and the Regulation respecting the Application of the Consumer Protection Act.
The Montreal-based group at McCarthy Tétrault is active on class action disputes, regulatory and product liability matters, securities litigation and arbitration. The team is well-versed in commercial litigation involving the pharmaceutical, tech and biotech segments, and routinely appears before all levels of the Quebec courts. Steeves Bujold directs the group. Ex-practice head Mason Poplaw remains active on complex commercial, corporate and securities disputes, and has additional experience of financial product liabilities cases and banking class actions. François Giroux majors on shareholder disputes, banking litigation and class actions involving securities violations and privacy disputes. Isabelle Vendette is noted for her expertise in injunctions, financial services and securities litigation, as well as privacy and contract disputes. Gabriel Querry is an additional name to note. Kristian Brabander left the firm.
Steeves Bujold; Sunil Kapur
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
Compagnie de Matériaux de Construction BP Canada
Heritage Education Funds, Knowledge First Financial Institution, Children’s Education Funds
National Bank of Canada
Raymond Chabot Administrateur Provisoire
TD Bank/TD Waterhouse Canada
Norton Rose Fulbright‘s Quebec practice is a strong choice for corporate commercial litigation, class action, securities litigation, professional liability, product liability and restructuring and insolvency matters. The ‘highly skilled’, ‘solutions-oriented’ team is regularly instructed by major corporations in the energy, finance, natural resources, transportation, tech and healthcare segments. Disputes all-rounder François-David Paré handles corporate, commercial and civil litigation, as well as securities matters and shareholder disputes, while Horia Bundaru has focused his practice on commercial and construction litigation. Sophie Melchers is a key contact for securities litigation, and Jean Bertrand is active on competition, international trade, transport and energy disputes. Fraud and anti-corruption specialist François Fontaine is also noted. Senior associate Francesca Taddeo left the firm in July 2023.
François-David Paré; Maxime Cantin; Sophie Melchers; François Fontaine; Christian Roy
Other key lawyers:
Horia Bundaru; Jean Bertrand
‘The lawyers are highly skilled, very smart and understanding.’
‘Brilliant and reliable; they think outside the box, are solutions-oriented, and capable of navigating complex and sensitive corporate matters.’
BMO Nesbitt Burns and BMO InvestorLine
Desjardins Groupe d’assurances générales
Resolute Forest Products and Fibrek Holding
Groupe TVA, Média QMI, Félix Séguin, Groupe Ville-Marie Littérature, Québecor Média
Groupe Lune Rouge
Visa International Service Association (Visa)
L’Unique assurances générales
Group Park Avenue
Krueger International, Brian Krenke, Richard Resch, IPDP Industrial Development Partners, Michael Salzman
City of Montréal
- Defended Hexo Corporations and its former CEO, Sebastien St-Louis, in a securities class action which alleged misrepresentations made in the company’s public disclosures during 2018 and 2019, including in a prospectus.
- Defended Desjardins in multiple class action suits.
- Represented BMO Nesbitt Burns and BMO InvestorLine in a proposed class action against numerous brokerage firms alleging that they have failed to appropriately disclose the foreign exchange currency conversion fees to their clients.
Stikeman Elliott LLP
Stikeman Elliott LLP fields a leading offering in the Quebec disputes space, which includes expertise in administrative and public law matters, securities litigation and cross-border commercial litigation. Éric Mongeau heads up the department; his commercial litigation practice is centred on the energy, transportation, telecoms and construction sectors, and he has additional experience in administrative and defamation law. Yves Martineau majors on class action defence within the banking, telecoms and manufacturing segments; Marc-André Coulombe is well-versed in representing clients before the Quebec courts and the Federal Court of Canada. Éric Azran is an additional key contact for commercial and securities litigation. Frédéric Paré is also noted for his work in shareholder disputes and securities matters.
Other key lawyers:
Yves Martineau; Marc-André Coulombe; Éric Azran; Frédéric Paré
Administration de pilotage des Laurentides
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec
Churchill Falls (Labrador)
Concession A25 LP
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP‘s Quebec team is well-versed in supporting automotive, banking, construction, energy, healthcare, financial services, retail and tech-sector clients involved in disputes. Practice head Francis Rouleau‘s broad litigation practice covers product liability, contract law, corporate litigation and shareholder disputes, securities, construction and real estate. Additional key contacts include litigator Claude Marseille, who has focused his practice on class actions, product liability, construction law and shareholder remedies; Simon Seida, who advises corporations and high-profile individuals on regulatory and securities matters; restructuring, real estate, construction and reinsurance litigator Matthew Liben; and Ariane Bisaillon, who brings strength to advising clients in pharmaceuticals, manufacturing and transport. Former Woods LLP managing partner Caroline Biron joined the firm in August 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Claude Marseille; Simon Seida; Matthew Liben; Ariane Bisaillon
Le Groupe Jean Coutu (PJC)
Kraft Heinz Canada
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
- Acted as counsel for defendant Air Canada in a class action lawsuit against Air Canada on behalf of all Québec consumers who purchased airline tickets through Air Canada’s online ticket purchasing platform in 2010-2012.
- Acted for Bell Canada in injunctive proceedings calling on Québecor to restore the broadcast signal that Groupe TVA unlawfully interrupted during the Stanley Cup playoffs; this was the first instance in Canada of a competitor interrupting a broadcast signal, in this case affecting more than 425,000 subscribers.
- Acted as counsel for Sanimax in a nuisance class action alleging that Sanimax is responsible for damages caused to residents in Montreal, Ste-Hyacinthe and Lévis due to odour, waste, and polluted gases allegedly emitted by their meat rendering plants in these municipalities.
The Quebec practice at Borden Ladner Gervais LLP is noted for its skill in class actions, white collar crime, cybersecurity, IP, banking and financial services, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Major domestic banks and multinationals in the aeronautic, telecoms, logistics and construction sectors routinely feature on the group’s client roster. Practice co-head Mathieu Piché-Messier majors on civil and commercial litigation and international arbitration, with a particular focus on aviation law and IP matters. Alongside him, Gabriel Lefebvre is well-versed in representing property owners, contractors, bonding companies and insurers in contentious construction matters. Litigators François Grondin and Karine Chênevert are additional key contacts.
Mathieu Piché-Messier; Gabriel Lefebvre
Other key lawyers:
François Grondin; Karine Chênevert
Canadian Pacific Railway Company
Conférence des juges de la Cour du Québec
Québec Minister of Economy and Innovation
RBC Dominion Securities and RBC Direct Investing
Cormer Group Industries
Loblaws Companies, Weston Foods Canada
Conférence des juges de la Cour du Québec
Aéroports de Montréal
6362222 Canada (Createch)
Montreal-based boutique litigation firm Woods LLP demonstrates strength in insolvency, class action and commercial agreement disputes, as well as in corporate liability and governance disputes. Sylvain Rigaud, who leads the insolvency and restructuring group, heads the team, along with Richard Vachon and Marie-Louise Delisle, who is highly active on class action defence and professional liability matters, with a focus on telecommunications law, competition affairs and civil liability. Louis Seveno handles litigation and arbitration relating to construction and PPP disputes. Other key members include international arbitration specialist Stephen Drymer and Eric Bédard. Patrick Ouellet was appointed as a Judge of the Superior Court of Quebec for the district of Montréal in April 2023. Managing partner Caroline Biron departed the firm in August 2023.
Sylvain Rigaud; Marie-Louise Delisle; Richard Vachon
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Drymer; Louis Seveno; Eric Bédard
Vidéotron / Quebecor
Champion Iron Mines
Health Montreal Collective CVJ
UBS Securities Canada
Consonance Capital Management
- Acted as counsel for Air India against recognition and enforcement proceedings related to an approximately $111m arbitral award rendered against the Republic of India pursuant to a bilateral investment treaty between the latter and Devas.
- Represented Health Montréal Collective, as builder of a public-private partnership hospital project, in a number of disputes against the facility manager and the owner of the project, and also against consultants and suppliers.
- Appointed by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice as representative counsel to Quebec unitholders of funds managed by Bridging Finance in a priority dispute in the context of an eventual distribution to creditors by the receiver appointed under the Securities Act in Ontario.
BCF Business Law
BCF Business Law's disputes group excels at class action defence and alternative dispute resolution. The team has particular sectoral expertise in consumer products, automotive, banking, pharmaceutical, construction and public transportation. The Montreal office is co-led by Eric Ouimet, who majors on product liability and intellectual property infringement matters. Alongside him, Simon Pelletier specializes in administrative law, construction litigation and commercial disputes. Stéphan Charles-Grenon leads the Quebec City-based team.
Eric Ouimet; Simon Pelletier; Stéphan Charles-Grenon
Howard H. Schiller
Hyundai Auto Canada
Volkswagen Group Canada
Lone Pine Resources
Fonds d’assurance de la responsabilité de l’Ordre des architectes du Québec
- Acted on behalf of SNC-Lavalin in all the proceedings relevant to a C$400m construction litigation involving over 1,000 building owners from the Trois-Rivières area.
- Acted on behalf of a former executive officer of a publicly traded pharmaceutical corporation in connection with a statutory and civil securities class action brought against him by individual shareholders and major institutional investors.
- Acted on behalf of Soucy International Inc. and Kimpex Inc. in the dismissal of an action for infringement of three patents and invalidation of 246 claims.
The Quebec group at Dentons brings together solicitors and litigators to act for clients involved in construction, retail, e-commerce, hospitality, automative and healthcare disputes. Montreal-based Margaret Weltrowska heads up the department and leads on commercial and civil litigation, class action, franchising and product liability matters. Key partner-level litigation contacts include Pierre Grenier and Claude Morency. They are supported by senior associate Erica Shadeed, who is active on commercial, marketing, and media-related disputes.
Expedia, Travelscape, Hotels.com
Audible, Amazon.com, Amazon.com.ca
AIG Insurance Company of Canada
Ernst & Young
Fasken‘s Quebec group regularly appears before Canada’s Supreme Court and routinely represents tech, mining, pharmaceutical, retail and automotive-sector clients involved in commercial and shareholder disputes. The group is co-led by a Montreal-based duo, comprising shareholder disputes, penal proceedings and securities litigation specialist Marc-André Fabien; and Annie Bernard, who majors on construction and class action litigation. Éric Simard is a key contact for alternative dispute resolution, with a pronounced strength on arbitration matters. Vincent Cérat Lagana displays expertise in corporate governance litigation.
Marc-André Morin; Annie Bernard
Other key lawyers:
Éric Simard; Vincent Cérat Lagana
‘Knowledge of the client’s needs; proactivity of attorneys; quality team and teamwork.’
‘Marc-André Fabien – particular awareness of policy matters and quality of pleadings. Vincent Cérat Lagana – outstanding legal mind. Quality pleadings, both in writing and verbally.’
‘Strong litigation team with a great understanding and responsiveness to client needs.’
‘Vincent Cérat-Lagana is a great up-and-coming talent who is devoted to his clients. Gets the job done, easily adapts to client instructions, with a no-nonsense approach.’
‘Fasken’s dispute resolution team in Quebec is excellent. They are aggressive, strategic, and results-oriented lawyers. Collaboration is seamless across all levels.’
Rio Tinto Alcan
Essilor Luxxotica Canada
- Represented Google on a privacy breach class action and expression violations matter.
- Represented the Québec Chief Justice and Associate Chief Justice in two decisions.
- Represented Areva Est and Orano Mining in an action to annul two multi-million dollar contractual agreements.
Gowling WLG's Montreal office offers a range of dispute resolution services, handling shareholder and partnership disputes, derivatives litigation, class action, breach of contract and product liability matters. The group is well-equipped to handle real estate, commercial, environmental, insolvency and construction litigation. Practice head Guy Poitras is well-versed in class actions for damages relating to defective motor vehicle, electronic appliance and pharmaceutical products. Alexandre Sami is noted for his product liability and commercial litigation expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘I am fully satisfied with the leadership of Alexandre Sami and his excellent winning team.’
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
Amazon Web Services
The Brick Warehouse
Industrial Gas Users Association (IGUA)
- Acted for the United States Attorney General in an application to dismiss in a largely publicized case related to patients being unknowingly brainwashed as part of the Montreal Experiments in the 1950s.
- Represented Amazon Web Services defending two class actions related to the Capital One data breach.
- Counsel to a multinational automobile manufacturer in a class action involving four different matters and over 100 defendants.
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP's Quebec practice demonstrates strength in commercial litigation and arbitration, in particular with regards to construction, product liability, regulatory litigation and shareholders’ disputes. The group is also well-versed in contentious consumer protection, energy, intellectual property, product liability, professional negligence and securities matters. Éric Préfontaine is sole practice head following ex-co-lead Céline Legendre's April 2022 appointment to the Superior Court of Quebec. Préfontaine specializes in class action and the defence of consumer protection, product liability and securities matters. Kristian Brabander joined the team from McCarthy Tétrault.
Amex Bank of Canada
Bausch Health Companies
Facebook and Facebook Canada
MGM Resorts International
Economical Mutual Insurance Company
Laurentian Bank of Canada
Bank of Nova Scotia
Lightspeed POS and Dax Dasilva
Veolia Health Operating Services (Montréal)
The Stars Group
Torys‘s Quebec group is well-versed in representing clients in commercial contract disputes, shareholder disputes, distressed M&A proceedings and insurance claim disputes. Montreal-based Sylvie Rodrigue heads up the practice and demonstrates broad expertise in civil liability, securities litigation, consumer protection, tort and negligence, breach of contract and privacy matters. Key partners include corporate and commercial litigator Christopher Richter; Julie Himo, who handles commercial fraud, contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, corporate and securities matters; and Marie-Ève Gingras, who majors on product liability, consumer complaint, public law and price-fixing litigation.
‘Torys has consistently provided our organization with high-quality legal advice and insights specific to the Quebec region, that also draws from their team’s broad and deep expertise in litigation and dispute resolution. They provide a responsive and excellent service.’
‘Christopher Richter is an engaging and thoughtful advisor who has been instrumental in helping our organization navigate difficult and challenging situations. He and his team have invested the time required to understand the unique needs of our organization and have been proactive in helping us identify legal risks and finding practical solutions to avoid or mitigate those risks.’
‘Outstanding willingness to make things work for their client. Exceptional commitments to the advancement of novel arguments.’
Orion Mine Finance
- Represented Hydro-Quebec in a damages claim against a pilot who made an aerial attack on Hydro-Quebec’s transportation lines, causing close to $30m in damages, plunging 180,000 people into darkness and almost putting the province in a total blackout situation in December 2014.