Leading firms in Cambodia
The Phnom Penh-based team at Bun & Associates focuses on inbound work in the Cambodian market, with extensive experience in a wide range of matters such as M&A, insurance, real estate, and construction, as well as mining and energy. It also frequently deals with healthcare-related transactions, including assisting the Kingdom of Cambodia and the WHO in drafting new pharmaceutical legislation. Managing partner Youdy Bun focuses on litigation, banking, and M&A; Sophealeak Ing leads on real estate, construction, environment, and energy matters; Antoine Fontaine deals with insurance, tax, and labour law; Sovath Phin focuses on IP matters; Sinath Un advises on banking and finance
‘Bun & Associates presents strong technical skill in corporate law, labor law. The team has a good relationship with relevant authorities, e.g. ministries and the central bank, provides a quick response and flexible, and always provides more than needed.’
‘Apart from their technical skills, the team discusses and works as a peer. They are reachable and flexible and always try to give different options/solutions with pros and cons.’
‘Bun & Associates distinguishes itself from other firms by its sizable team with the capabilities to handle a large volume of works and the ability to turn around quickly. Their team is extremely good and always provides works with high quality. They are also the firm that we always choose for complex financing transactions, including offshore financing.’
‘Mr. Bun Youdy is our main contact. He is very intelligent and possesses strong business acumen. His knowledge in banking and financial sectors is exceptionally rare taking into account the resource available on the market. He is very committed and always put the interest of our bank first. In sum, he has a high degree of professionalism.’
‘We engage Bunn & Associates services because we have found them to be efficient & knowledgable in the areas that we have needed assistance.’
‘I have used the services of Bun & Associates for the 7 years I have been working in Cambodia and find their service very professional, very ethical, and very practical.’
‘Within Cambodia, in my opinion, they outscore their competition in all areas.’
‘Most of my direct dealings are with one of the founding partners Sophealeak Ing who is very impressive; furthermore, I have to say that he has surrounded himself with many talented lawyers who cover different areas of corporate law.’
‘Bun & Associates has been a key legal and regulatory advisor for our team for more than 5 years now, especially in the area of telecom and ICT. The team, led by Bun Youdy, has been an important resource for us and to a certain extent the industry, in advocacy matters related to key subsidiary telecom regulations such as spectrum, regulatory costs, licensing, and some other operational strategic advice work. We have also used the firm to do transactional work which was completed very well as well as some work on payment service provider license and business requirements. The team has a wide breadth of knowledge on upcoming digital services and horizontal regulation such as consumer protection, e-commerce, and the digital economy. Youdy and his team show great capabilities in understanding legal/regulatory matters, obtaining prompt insights on sector developments, and analyzing possible positioning strategies for advocacy or to mitigate the potential business impact. Most importantly, they are very flexible in exploring different methods and are very practical in their advice, as well as are capable to engage stakeholders of different levels very well within the country.’
China Lesso Group
BOCC Development Co., Ltd
Risen Energy Co., Ltd
Big C Supercenter (Cambodia) Company Ltd
Grab (Cambodia) Co., Ltd
AIA (Cambodia) Life Insurance plc
Phillip Bank plc
Pi Pay plc
Dai-Ichi Life Insurance (Cambodia) plc
Phillip Life Assurance (Cambodia) plc
World Health Organization
Ministry of Economy and Finance
Ministry of Mines and Energy
R M A (Cambodia) plc
Total Cambodge Private Ltd. Co.
- Assisted PI Pay plc in the merger transaction with Smart Buy plc in order to secure approval with the National Bank of Cambodia and Ministry of Commerce, as well as preparing and reviewing all relevant transaction documents.
- Assisted the Ministry of Economy and Finance with three projects in relation to the Southeast Asia Disaster Risk Insurance Facility.
- Provided legal assistance to the Ministry of Mines and Energy in the drafting of the first Law on Management of Petroleum and Petroleum Products.
Operating out of Phnom Penh, the team at DFDL frequently leads on a wide range of matters for international clients investing in Cambodia, but also advises as local counsel on matters such as structuring foreign direct investments and advising investment banks and underwriters on capital markets transactions involving natural energy. Senior partner Guillaume Massin advises on matters such as corporate and commercial transactions, while senior partner Chris Robinson is an expert in M&A, private equity, and capital markets. New practice co-heads Chuan How Tan and Charles Amar joined in August and January 2019, respectively; senior consultants Nearirath Srengh and Lai Kooi Thong also joined in January and June 2019, respectively.
Bank of China
Belt Road Capital Management
China Road and Bridge Corporation
KB Kookmin Bank
Royal De Heus
Smart Axiata Co
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
- Advised KB Koomin Bank on its acquisition of 70% of issued shares in Prasac Microfinance Institution, the largest deposit-taking micro-loan institution in Cambodia, from the existing shareholders, valued at $603m.
- Advised Smart Axiata on its investment in Hong Kong-incorporated Pi Pay International.
Operating out of Singapore, the team at R&T Sok & Heng Law Office has established itself as a key firm known for advising on complex, high-value cross-border transactions, large-scale acquisitions, capital markets, and offshore listing works in Cambodia. Additionally, recent years have seen an increase in advising clients on IT and securities law. Managing partner Chhay Heng deals primarily in arbitration and insolvency matters. Deline Sieng, Sotheary Hout, and Sophonnora Tiv all are highly regarded.
‘We have connected with Rajah & Tann in Cambodia and Thailand. Their wide range of services and experienced legal consultants/lawyers are impressive. As an in-house lawyer, we are more than happy to know that a renowned law firm like Rajah & Tann will always have our back in both unfamiliar jurisdictions and our hometown.’
‘Tiv Sophonnora is absolutely recommended. He is a one-of-a-kind legal consultant/lawyer in Cambodia who is sincerely practical and equipped with a high level of skills and experience. He always knows what we need and how to achieve it.‘
AMK Microfinance Institution plc
Advanced Bank of Asia Ltd
Kasikornbank Public Company Ltd
Donaco International Ltd
Etiqa Insurance & Takaful
S&P Syndicate Public Company Ltd
Infunde Development Pte. Ltd.
Milvik (Cambodia) Micro Insurance plc
Sunrise Healthcare Services Co., Ltd
Emerging Markets Investments Advisers Pte. Ltd.
Prudential (Cambodia) plc
- Advised CVC Asia Pacific Ltd and a consortium of sellers on a $603.4m sale of 70% equity shares in Prosac Microfinance.
- Acted for and assisted Advanced Bank of Asia Ltd in relation to its corporate bond issuance on Cambodia’s CSX, raising approximately $21m.
- Advised InNature Bread from a Cambodian law perspective in relation to its IPO on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia, raising approximately $28.85m.
SokSiphana&associates (a member of ZICO Law) is a well-known contact for international corporations wishing to engage in cross-border work in Cambodia. The team's long history advising on government relations is due to its founder, Sok Siphana, who previously worked in a number of Cambodian government agencies and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. It also is known for corporate and commercial work, such as advising a number of foreign commercial banks in Cambodia, as well as providing advice regarding listing on the Cambodian stock exchange. Partner Matthew Rendall is experienced in corporate, commercial, and investment law, while senior associate Daron Wong has assisted on key high-value multi-jurisdictional inbound investments.
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, Limited
Ly Hour Microfinance Institution Plc
J Trust Co., Ltd
Cambodia SingMeng Telemedia Co., Ltd
UOL Group Limited
SingMeng TMT Operation Center Co., Ltd
Regent Meridian International Property Pte Limited
WeiYe Holding Limited
International Financial Corporation
The Association of Banks in Cambodia
- Advised Ly Hour Microfinance Institution plc, a local microfinance institution, on its joint venture with SBI Holdings Inc, a major financial group based in Japan.
- Advised J Trust Co., Ltd, a financial service provider, regarding the acquisition of a majority stake in ANZ, a major Cambodian bank.
- Advised SingMeng Telemedia Co., Ltd, a local telecommunications service provider, regarding the acquisition of businesses of DIGI, major Cambodian Internet provider service.
The Cambodia team at Tilleke & Gibbins (Cambodia) Ltd. deals primarily in corporate and commercial matters relating to franchising, TMT, and banking and finance for large multinationals. It has a niche specialty in IP enforcement work and patent and trade mark registration, as well as a strong regulatory affairs practice for pharmaceuticals and the consumer industry. Director Jay Cohen leads on commercial and IP cases, assisted on these matters by advisor David Mol. Advisor Chandavya Ing rejoined the team in December 2019, while advisor Sochanmalisphoung Vannavuth joined from Kelvin Chia Partnership in January 2020
‘They are quick to respond and provide advice at a favourable rate in comparison to some other law firms in town.‘
DuPoint Speciality Products
- Advised one of the world’s largest consumer banks on the regulatory framework for their planned market entry and operations in Cambodia.
- Advised Cambodia’s leading private bank on various operational matters including complex loan and finch product offerings.
- Represented a healthcare services provider in the acquisition of a Cambodian pharmaceutical and medical product distribution company.
VDB Loi has established a strong cross-border practice in Cambodia, with fully integrated legal and tax teams that advise on high-value TMT work, regulatory matters, and inbound M&A in sectors such as energy and infrastructure, telecoms, and real estate. New practice leader and Canada law-qualified Jeffrey Martin joined as senior counsel, where he works primarily in corporate, real estate, and arbitration. US senior counsel Alex Larkin advises on corporate transactions, including joint venture structuring and M&A. In October 2019, Potim Yun departed for private practice.
‘Very helpful and flexible to provide support service.’
‘Fast response and can-do attitude.’
GHS Asia Pacific Ltd
Newrest Group Holdings S.A.
Fruitage International Co., Ltd.
The Lion Group
- Advised Newrest Group Holdings S.A. on the multi-jurisdictional acquisition of a food and beverage services company.
- Acted on behalf of Phillip Bank on the successful merger of two financial institutions in Cambodia.
- Acted as counsel to DSV Air & Sea Co., Ltd at the Cambodian level on the merger of two Cambodian subsidiaries after an offshore acquisition.