One of the market leaders, the TMT practice group at Boyanov & Co. has been praised for its ‘excellent knowledge of legal issues in the telecoms sector’. The team is attractive to both domestic and multinational clients for its ability to handle large-scale corporate acquisitions and financing matters, whilst also excelling in regulatory, fintech and cybersecurity issues. The team’s impressive client base is made up of both major regional players and international blue-chip corporations, including Spotify, TikTok and Microsoft. IP, cloud computing projects, fintech and cybersecurity are among the specialisms of practice head Nikolay Zisov, who also focuses on major M&A transactions in the TMT space. Principal associate Ralitsa Nedkova is another key point of contact in the team.
Firms in the Spotlight TMT
Velchev & Co. Law Office
Velchev & Co Law Office provides practical solutions and straightforward legal advice by offering a wide range of legal services across various industry sectors, with particular emphasis on TMT; Corporate and Commercial law; Mergers and Acquisitions; Gaming law and Intellectual Property Rights Protection. We pride ourselves on our commercial awareness and sector-specific expertise, which allows …View Profile...
TMT in Bulgaria
Other key lawyers:
Damian Simeonov; Ralitsa Nedkova
‘Excellent knowledge of legal issues in the telecoms sector. Solid team depth.’
‘Damian Simeonov is a great resource for anyone considering cross-border and complex TMT transactions in the region.’
‘Ralitsa Nedkova is very capable, always on time and on point with her advice and guidance.’
Phillip Morris Bulgaria
Econt Financial Services
Silver Star Group
- Advised One Telecommunications on its sale to Hungarian IT service management company 4iG.
- Advised Spotify on the regulatory aspects of its innovative new information society service, covering data security and encryption, electronic communication, e-commerce, broadcasting and intellectual property issues.
- Provided legal advice to Cisco on the applicability of local telecoms regulations regarding its bundled information society and electronic communication services, as well as ongoing assistance on related regulatory proceedings.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co has established itself as one of the most renowned Bulgarian firms in the TMT space, structuring its team to balance expertise in transactional and regulatory issues relating to technology, media, telecoms and data protection. The team has a reputation for being ‘exceptional in terms of market knowledge and understanding of technologies’ and for ‘providing the finest TMT law services in Bulgaria’. High-profile M&A transactions and regulatory matters are among the specialities of the experienced team of practitioners, which receives a series of complex mandates from a roster of key clients that includes Google and Yettel Bulgaria. Three lawyers jointly head the practice: firm co-founder and IT specialist George Dimitrov, managing partner Hristo Nihrizov and ‘exceptional data law expert’ Desislava Krusteva-Doncheva. Nikola Stoychev is another name to note.
George Dimitrov; Hristo Nihrizov; Desislava Krusteva-Doncheva
Other key lawyers:
Nikola Stoychev; Martin Zahariev; Radoslava Makshutova
‘The practice is exceptional in terms of market knowledge and understanding of technologies, and provides the finest TMT law services in Bulgaria. This is exactly what we need as our own services are rather innovative and we need our lawyers to be up to date with the newest technologies and the legislation regulating them in Bulgaria, as well as at EU level.’
‘Desislava Krusteva is an amazing data and technologies law expert with great commercial flair and really awesome experience.’
‘All the team members have provided us with outstanding service. We particularly value their quick responses to requests, ability to cover wide range of areas and ability to present the results in concise and timely manner.’
‘The TMT practice of DPC is really exceptional. Some of the most renowned TMT experts in the country have established and developed it for over 25 years and it has already produced a new generation of unsurpassed experts in the areas of data, technology, media and telecoms.’
‘We work on a regular basis with Desislava Krusteva, who is an exceptional data law expert – probably the best in Bulgaria. Martin Zahariev always follows up on our matters. Radoslava Makshutova is great in any technology law matter. Hristo Nihrizov and Nikola Stoychev possess huge telecoms expertise.’
- Provided legal counsel to Google in Bulgaria, offering complex services with a specific focus on media content, privacy and data protection, and other TMT law matters, competition law and regulatory issues, on a day-to-day basis.
- Advised Swedish software company Beetroot AB on its entry into the Bulgarian market through the acquisition of the business of South Gate Tech.
- Advised DHH on the acquisition of 60% of the shares of Evolink, one of the largest Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) providers in Bulgaria.
The TMT practice at Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov handles a diverse range of mandates across the telecoms, media and technology sectors. This includes advising on regulatory, infrastructure, M&A and data protection matters for its notable client base, which spans major multinational media corporations and technology companies. Practice head Violetta Kunze possesses a significant wealth of experience in the space, assisting with landmark TMT projects, regulatory matters and cross-border transactions. Senior associate Milka Ivanova specialises in data protection and technology matters.
Other key lawyers:
TI Sparkle Bulgaria
Blackhawk Network Singapore
- Assisted PPF s.a. with the Bulgarian law aspects associated with the sale of a minority stake in telecoms infrastructure provider CETIN Group N.V. to GIC, while PPF retained its majority 70% ownership.
- Advised three major technology companies, numerous online and video-sharing platforms, and streaming services providers, as well as many marketplace operators, on a broad range of compliance issues.
- Advising a growing portfolio of leading global telecoms operators on an ongoing basis on telecoms regulatory matters related to their operations in Bulgaria and representing them before the Bulgarian telecoms regulator.
The TMT team at CMS places particular emphasis on advising on matters in the media sector, covering regulatory issues, IP licensing, legislative procedures and data protection. The team’s diverse client roster includes large software corporations, private investment funds and advertising agencies, among others. Counsel Anna Tanova heads the IT and media practice with Gentscho Pavlov, corporate partner Atanas Bangachev and counsel Veliko Savov.
Atanas Bangachev; Gentscho Pavlov; Veliko Savov; Anna Tanova
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS is part of a wide team that covers multiple jurisdictions in the EU and can provide comparative research on the relevant media and IP legislation, commercial practices and industry developments. We value our partnership with CMS Sofia. We consider CMS’ legal services as second to none.’
‘Both Anna Tanova and Eva Petrova are highly qualified experts in media law and IP. Anna Tanova has extensive knowledge and understanding of the law in the TMT area. She has demonstrated good commercial judgement in a number of complex matters. Anna is particularly able to translate complex issues into clear and understandable matters and to provide creative business solutions. Eva is а very responsive person. She shows attention to detail. CMS lawyers know the media industry better than any competitor on the legal services market.’
‘We consider CMS as the best law firm in IP and media law. Anna Tanova is an expert with extensive knowledge and deep understanding of electronic communications law and audio-visual media services regulation.’
‘Anna Tanova is a renowned expert in IP, media law, electronic communications regulation and competition law. She is a great and knowledgeable negotiator. CMS is responsive and a reliable partner with impressive industry knowledge.’
‘А team of professionals with specialisations in different fields that complement each other.’
‘High level of professionalism, quick and competent answers, easy and effective communication. They are willing to go beyond the specifically requested advice.’
Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters
Alliance of the technology industry
The Sales House
Lumen Technologies Bulgaria
- Provided day-to-day legal assistance to the Alliance of the Technology Industry on media and IP matters and assisted in complex negotiations with the collective management organisations of copyright and neighbouring rights holders.
- Advised Racom on the sale of 100% of Sofia Communications to CETIN Bulgaria.
- Advised Lumen Technologies, a leading US-listed telecoms company, on its operations in Bulgaria, including in relation to the provision of communications, network, security, cloud solutions and managed services.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co adopts an inter-disciplinary approach in its TMT practice to offer clients a full suite of transactional services whilst also drawing from the extensive experience of the firm’s litigation team to act as counsel on high-end contentious matters, regularly representing clients in disputes before Bulgaria’s highest courts. Advice on commercial transactions, M&A and project financing also fall within the versatile team’s capabilities, alongside intellectual property, licensing and regulatory issues. Competition and corporate work comprises the bulk of team leader Alexander Pachamanov's practice. Tsvetelina Dimitrova is renowned for her IP work, and remains another key contact in the department.
Other key lawyers:
Tsvetelina Dimitrova; Arno Mamasyan
‘Georgiev, Todorov & Co. Law office is one of the best firms in Bulgaria for advice on TMT regulations.’
‘Alexander Pachamanov’s knowledge and experience in the field of local and EU regulations in the TMT sector is exceptional.’
‘Georgiev, Todorov & Co. combines excellent litigation skills and great communication skills, which means we feel protected no matter how complex our issue is. Their team is diverse and the younger lawyers have wonderful relationships with the partners which makes the work smooth and efficient, and the solutions more precise and innovative.’
‘We regularly work with Tsvetelina Dimitrova, who is a great listener, has superb people skills and knows all the specifics of our business very well. We also work with Arno Mamasyan due to his long-term experience, strong negotiation skills and perseverance.’
‘Georgiev, Todorov & Co. has an excellent reputation in both intellectual property issues and the telecoms and media field in general, and we chose them as a legal adviser because of their long-term experience on the market, their in-depth knowledge of national and EU regulations, and their remarkable client-orientated approach.’
‘The legal team is very professional with good client service.’
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company
- Provided software company Experian Bulgaria with advice on intellectual property matters, revision of contracts and employment law issues.
- Advised Alliance Print on the conclusion of a contract for the design and printing of marketing materials for Japan Tobacco International Bulgaria, which related to the intellectual rights over the products.
- Advised Hill Clinic on a penal decree issued in relation to radio advertising.
Corporate and M&A transactions, compliance and regulatory issues, licensing and IT matters, and contentious work comprises the bulk of the caseload for the TMT practice group at Kambourov & Partners. The team handles a broad range of mandates from domestic and international media corporations, telecoms companies and private equity firms, notably Nova Broadcasting Group, the Bulgarian Telecommunications Company and Greenoaks Capital Partners. ‘Extremely dedicated’ practice head Margarita Guigova is supported by associates Mario Arabistanov and Yana Todorova.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Arabistanov; Yana Todorova
‘The team provides prompt and high-quality services where the motivation of the lawyers and their level of expertise are constantly demonstrated. We consider the level of service as excellent and we would like to emphasise that the answers to our legal questions were provided by Kambourov & Partners law office in good time. Responses were accurate and always provided in close cooperation with our in-house lawyers.’
‘We would like to highlight Margarita Guigova due to her excellent ability to prepare the most successful strategy in the client’s favour. She always demonstrates a problem-solving approach and she is extremely dedicated to achieving results in the client’s interests. Margarita is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced TMT and IP lawyers on the market, who pursues the client’s goals with persistence.’
‘Fast, flexible, offer different solutions for the same problem and give the client the option to choose what best suits the company, easily approachable via phone, respond to urgent matters.’
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company
New Films International
Greenoaks Capital Partners
Nova Broadcasting Group
Schwartz IT Bulgaria
Leo Aerial Systems
- Assisted Voxbone with the full range of regulatory matters, including representation before the Bulgarian authority.
- Advised leading digital media company Netinfo on rights issues in relation to its new products.
- Provided legal assistance to e-commerce marketing platform Yotpo on various matters, including software rights, outsourcing to corporates and suppliers, and regulatory issues.
The growing TMT practice at Kinstellar is particularly strong in high-value transactions, regulatory matters, data protection and matters relating to new technologies. In a recent highlight, the team provided structuring advice to GTT Communications on the divestiture of its infrastructure assets to I Squared Capital, a cross-border deal with a value of $2.15bn. Georgi Kanev, who specialises in data protection, IP and IT, and is frequently engaged on matters concerning emerging technologies, leads the team with of counsel Radoslav Chemshirov, who is firm-wide head of telecoms. Nina Tsifudina advises on a wide range of corporate transactions in the TMT sector.
Georgi Kanev; Radoslav Chemshirov
Other key lawyers:
Kin & Carta
Astound Commerce Corporation
Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co.
Visteon Electronics Bulgaria
Edward Jones & Co
- Advised Kin and Carta, the global digital transformation consultancy, on the acquisition of Melon Group, a digital transformation consulting firm with a presence in Bulgaria, North Macedonia and Kosovo.
- Advised LC Interactive on the acquisition of oddspedia.com, part of iRocket, one of Europe’s leading solutions for online gambling and sports betting-related information and comparisons.
- Advised GTT Communications on the divestiture of its infrastructure assets to I Squared Capital for $2.15bn, as well as on the post-sale integration.
The ‘very prompt, solution-orientated and client-friendly’ practice group at Penkov, Markov & Partners has cultivated a diverse client base that includes both large domestic and international telecoms companies and start-ups operating in the e-commerce, fintech and artificial intelligence sectors. The team offers the full range of services, specialising in IP, data protection and cybersecurity issues. Managing partner and team leader Nikolay Cvetanov counts fintech and cybersecurity among his particular areas of expertise. Boris Strijlev is a key point of contact at associate level.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent advice and collaboration.’
‘Very prompt, solution orientated and client friendly.’
Klett Lernen Und Information
Nokia Solutions and Networks
Bulgarian Fintech Association
Viva Incubator Investment Management
- Provided legal advice on the structuring of the digital services of Payhawk, in compliance with Bulgarian and EU regulations on digital payment platforms, and the establishment of the agent status of the company and regulation of the relationship with the partnering electronic money issuers.
- Advised Audi with regard to its myAudi platform, ensuring the compliance of the provided digital services, the scope of the trader’s liability, the envisaged right of refusal in favour of the consumer and the processing of the consumer’s personal data.
- Advised Klett Publishing House both with regard to its publishing business and with regard to the educational services that it provides via the web platform IZZI, including in its negotiations with Yettel on a co-operation for including access to the IZZI platform as part of its mobile plans and services.
The TMT practice group at Schoenherr is praised by clients for its ‘serious know-how and legal experience’. The firm’s extensive regional network means it is well placed to handle complex cross-border mandates, often in collaboration with partner offices in other jurisdictions. In a recent high-profile, multi-jurisdictional matter, practice co-head Stefana Tsekova acted alongside the firm's Vienna office to advise SpaceX on the rollout of its Starlink satellite internet constellation services to the CEE and SEE regions. Fellow co-head Ilko Stoyanov is another key name in the team, overseeing competition work in the TMT sector.
Stefana Tsekova; Ilko Stoyanov
‘We would like to mention Ilko Stoyanov because his knowledge and experience is exceptional in the field of TMT legislation and projects.’
‘The team has serious know-how and legal experience.’
Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX)
NTT DATA Business Solutions
ABN AMRO Bank
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company AD (Vivacom)
- Advised SpaceX on the introduction of its Starlink satellite internet constellation services to the European market.
- Advised Chaos on the Bulgarian law aspects of its merger with Enscape.
- Advised a consortium of international banks on the acquisition financing extended to NPM Capital for its acquisition of ICT Group.
Velchev & Co. Law Office
High-profile matters in the telecoms sector represent the bulk of the work undertaken by Velchev & Co. Law Office. Acting on behalf of a diverse range of domestic and international clients, the seasoned team has sector-specific expertise in regulatory matters. Managing partner Pavel Velchev has over 20 years of experience in the TMT area. Other lawyers to note at partner level include IT specialist Parvan Rusinov and corporate-focused Nadya Hambach, both of whom have specific expertise in the gaming sector.
Other key lawyers:
Parvan Rusinov; Nadya Hambach
- Advised A1 Bulgaria on the acquisition of STEMO, one of the leaders in the system integrator market in Bulgaria.
- Advised A1 Bulgaria, the leading mobile operator in Bulgaria, on the acquisition of resources for 5G.
- Advised A1 Bulgaria on the separation of its passive infrastructure into a different entity.
Wolf Theiss fields an experienced team which is frequently instructed on high-value and cross-border transactions in the media sector, in addition to handling financing mandates in the telecoms sector. Richard Clegg heads the practice group, specialising in corporate matters in the TMT space. He receives support from Anna Rizova, who is highly active in advising on TMT-related market entry and transactional matters for global corporate entities, and assisting with data protection issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wolf Theiss have detailed understanding and experience in the technology sector and especially in the field of cryptocurrency and blockchain. Only a few law firms have such knowledge. With their “WT Crypto Academy” initiative, Wolf Theiss displayed profound knowledge of the origins, history and concepts of Bitcoin, blockchain and distributed ledger technology, among other issues.’
‘We would like to recommend Richard Clegg.’
HG Capital & Vista Equity Partners
Azerion Tech Holding
Eleven Venture Capital
Tempus Ex Machina
- Advised 4IG on its acquisition of Albania Telecom from Calik Holding.
- Advised HG Capital and Vista Equity on local law matters related to its sale of Allocate Software to RLDatix, the leading global provider of intelligent patient safety solutions.
- Advised Software One on the Bulgarian law aspects of the acquisition of HeleCloud, an Amazon web services premier partner in the EMEA region.
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria possesses a considerable depth of knowledge in advertising law, and offers advisory services regarding associated regulatory and compliance issues. The scope of the team's day-to-day work also includes more general regulatory matters in the TMT sector, and it continues to be notable for its strength in the field of terrestrial broadcast media. Practice head Severina Liubenova is highlighted for her ‘unprecedented’ expertise.
‘Severina Liubenova and her team have proved to be on top of the developments in the field, adapting to the changes and finding the best possible outcome in each and every situation. The radio sector in itself is quite complex and requires vast knowledge in different areas. We are completely satisfied with the service provided by our lawyers on a variety of complex legal issues.’
‘Severina Liubenova’s knowledge and expertise is unprecedented and is something that we wish to outline.’
Fresh Media Group
- Advised Fresh Media Group on a wide range of matters, including corporate and commercial issues, regulatory matters, licensing, IP, production, creation and broadcasting issues, leases, bank loans, judicial representation and representation before the broadcast regulator, and advertising and sponsorship contracts.
- Assisted Sirma Solutions, one of the largest software groups in Bulgaria, with the acquisition of Bulgarian IT company Sciant.
- Advised Softline, a global IT solutions and services provider, on corporate matters.
The TMT practice group at CERHA HEMPEL Gerginov frequently advises on cross-border mergers, joint ventures and outsourcings for its notable roster of clients, which includes household names Samsung, Meta (Facebook) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Key practitioners include managing partner Boyko Gerginov, who is supported by senior associate Kalin Bonev.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are experienced and very knowledgeable. They provide prompt, efficient and reliable support.’
‘Boyko Gerginov and Kalin Bonev are very responsive and reliable lawyers. I feel very comfortable with their support.’
‘The firm has the ability to understand the client’s business and its requirements and can shape their service accordingly.’
‘Boyko Gerginov and Kalin Bonev are both excellent lawyers and 100% client oriented.’
‘I have to say that the biggest advantage of the team is its ability to swiftly react. The other big advantage is the team’s knowledge and multi-disciplinary approach as our scope of activities goes beyond the usual European legislation.’
‘Boyko Gerginov provided me with easily digestible advice and in a very timely manner – if we requested something for today, then it was sent before midnight. The client service provided by Boyko is excellent!’
Pierer & Maxcom Mobility
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Hewlett Packard Inc. (HPI)
- Advised DXC.technology in relation to the acquisition of GSD Services from Modis, as well as on the acquisition of the network sourcing business of AT&T.
- Advised Hewlett Packard Enterprise on the transfer of the PTS SC global ops services to OnProcess, including the transfer of assets and the respective teams to OnProcess.
- Advised Meta (Facebook) in relation to the acquisition of a hardware engineering lab in Bulgaria, including assisting with the regulatory, environmental, employment, corporate, health monitoring and other aspects related to the operation of the facility.
Jordanov, Ignatov, Ivanov Law Firm is frequently instructed on a range of TMT matters by its client base of technology companies, telecoms service providers and IT solution providers. Of the matters handled by the team, mandates pertaining to regulatory issues, compliance with IP and consumer protection issues receive the lion’s share of the focus. IP expert Rumen Ignatov heads up the practice group with Svetlana Valeva and Darina Gospodinova.
Rumen Ignatov; Svetlana Valeva; Darina Gospodinova
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent credentials in the TMT sector. They have a big portfolio of TMT clients including telecoms operators and start-ups in the field of e-commerce and software development. The team provide prompt and high-quality services. They are very responsive and quickly follow up on topics and inquiries. The term sheets and reports are always accurate and submitted on time. Overall, the JII’s services are great value for money.’
‘Our key contacts at the law firm are Rumen Ignatov and Svetlana Valeva. Both are very responsive and work perfectly as a team. Rumen always provides practical and business-oriented advice. Svetlana is very focused and dedicated to what she does. She is very diligent, quick thinking and accurate. Her knowledge of the legal framework is impressive.’
‘The team have always been very diligent in all their undertakings with us. They have always provided fantastic levels of support and work meticulously on every task for us. Everyone at the firm has been very helpful and we have always had strong levels of collaboration, especially with Dimitar Ivanov and Svetlana Valeva, who played a key role on our case.’
‘The lawyers of Jordanov, Ignatov, Ivanov possess in-depth knowledge and are capable of solving complex legal matters in all spheres of law. They are proactive, responsive and very much aware of the business climate and innovations in Bulgaria.’
‘Rumen Ignatov is very dedicated to his work, always provides quick responses and practically oriented solutions, and is up to date with the new business and technological trends in the telecoms sector.’
Turk Telekom International
- Acted for Leader 96 in a cross-border trade mark dispute with a prominent automotive company.
- Advised Latona Development on four major cross-border e-customs projects.
- Advised Israeli technology company Speedvalue Ltd on the expansion of its business on the Bulgarian market and on the contemplated acquisition of a local technology company.