Boyanov & Co.’s stellar client list includes major telecoms and tech companies, cable operators, and TV and radio stations, including Lenovo, TikTok, Microsoft and Google, among many others. The TMT practice group stands out for high-end corporate transactions and finance matters, and has the capability to advise on fintech projects, cybersecurity, as well as regulatory issues. Damian Simeonov, who has vast experience in M&A and finance deals in the telecoms sector, jointly leads the team alongside Nikolay Zisov, who advises multinational and local clients in the field of IT.
Firms in the Spotlight TMT
Velchev & Co. Law Office
Velchev & Co Law Office provides practical solutions and straightforward legal advice by offering a wide range of legal services across various industry sectors, with particular emphasis on TMT; Corporate and Commercial law; Mergers and Acquisitions; Gaming law and Intellectual Property Rights Protection. We pride ourselves on our commercial awareness and sector-specific expertise, which allows …View Profile...
TMT in Bulgaria
Damian Simeonov; Nikolay Zisov
Other key lawyers:
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company (Vivacom)
One Telecommunications SHA (Albania)
Econt Financial Services
Silver Star Group
Philip Morris Bulgaria
- Advising Econt Financial Services throughout the licensing procedure, including advice on the regulatory, corporate, contractual, and other relevant legal aspects.
- Advising Spotify on the regulatory and intellectual property aspects of the client’s new service.
- Advised Kia Motors in relation to the local deployment of terms and conditions and privacy notices for the Kia connected vehicle functionalities.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co ‘has excellent credentials and a market reputation in the TMT sector’, where the team combines ‘diversified multidisciplinary expertise’ to act for its roster of clients, including Google, The Walt Disney Company and Telenor. The team’s workload includes high-profile M&A transactions, as well as corporate and regulatory matters, among others. The team is collectively led by ‘top practitioners’, including founding partner and IT expert George Dimitrov, TMT and finance specialist Hristo Nihrizov, and Desislava Krusteva, who focuses on matters arising out of the technology sector.
George Dimitrov; Hristo Nihrizov; Desislava Krusteva
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has excellent credentials and a market reputation in the TMT sector. They demonstrate thorough regulatory knowledge.’
‘Our key contacts at the law firm are Hristo Nihrizov and Nikola Stoychev. Hristo is very focused and dedicated to what he does and Nikola is diligent, expedient, and accurate. Besides being brilliant professionals, they are both very responsive and work perfectly in a tandem.’
‘Extremely high and large-scale level of knowledge in the field of data protection and electronic technologies. Strict professional consultation on a complete problem with a look at every important detail.’
‘Assoc. Prof. Dr. George Dimitrov, Hristo Nihrizov and Desislava Krusteva are definitely the team members who are recognised as top practitioners in the TMT sector, both nationally and worldwide. We are happy to have worked with them for so many years. The trust we have built and the easiness to rely on their professional advice is priceless and going far beyond the client-attorney relation. All of them are hard-working and fit in the greatest sense in my idea of an innovative business lawyer.’
‘The practice is unique with its specialised knowledge in TMT. They are not only great lawyers with an exceptional level of legal service, but also know extremely well the telecoms sector and all technical specifics and regulations. It is rare to see lawyers with such high level of practical technology understanding and that’s what distinguishes DPC.’
‘I am very pleased with my work with Desislava Krasteva, who is the basis of all consultations. She has a high level of knowledge, professional behaviour’.
‘Hristo Nihrizov, Desislava Krusteva and Nikola Stoychev are a stellar team, led by George Dimitrov. Each one of them deserves to be recognized and included as a leading TMT professional in Bulgaria for their proven expertise and quality legal advice.’
‘What is most impressive about the team is their enthusiasm for each project they dive into and their utmost care for the interests of the client. They are real professionals, and they are able to bring together an efficient team of experts for every task in order to analyse it from many different angles. They are not afraid to try new approaches for its solution. Business-oriented, straight-to-the point, speaking client’s language – for me these are some of the most important positive sides of the team.’
The Walt Disney Company Bulgaria
PPF Telecom Group & Telenor
Exclusive Networks SAS
Svilen Maximov, sole shareholder of Networx-Bulgaria
Branch Association of Bulgarian Telecommunication Operators (BABTO)
Law and Internet Foundation
- Acting as exclusive legal counsel of Google for Bulgaria providing services with specific focus on media content, privacy and data protection and other TMT law matters, competition law and regulatory issues on a day-to-day basis.
- Acted as the local counsel of Exclusive Networks SAS as the buyer in a cross-border transaction involving one of the largest IT distributors in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Advised the sole shareholder on the sale of one of the leading regional cable TV and Internet service providers to the incumbent telecoms provider.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov counts multinational technology companies, platforms and service providers among its noteworthy list of clients, whilst also being praised for its ‘knowledge of the market and network in the Bulgarian telecoms sector’. Together with White & Case LLP as lead international counsel, the team advised the private investment group PPF a.s. on the Bulgarian law aspects of the $2.1bn acquisition of Central European Media Enterprises. ‘Tenacious advocate’ and partner Violetta Kunze leads the practice group, and is supported by senior associate Milka Ivanova.
Other key lawyers:
‘Violetta Kunze has deep knowledge of the regulator and industry. She provides practical, business-focused advice and helps effectively execute regulatory strategy. She can cut through complicated regulatory requirements and explain them in a way that enables clients to understand and respond to regulatory risk. She is an excellent and tenacious advocate.’
‘Milka Ivanova is a thoughtful, knowledgeable lawyer with excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of regulatory requirements and their implications for industry.’
‘Very solid and good knowledge of the market and network in the Bulgarian telecoms sector.’
‘Milka Ivanova is a superb lawyer with excellent market knowledge and very solid understanding of our business. She produces smart and efficient legal advice which can be implemented into daily routines right away.’
‘Knowledgeable, practical, responsive, very thoughtful and strategic. A pleasure to work with.’
Walt Disney Co.
Snapshot Games Sofia, Snapshot Games
Lan Med Nautilus Limited and Mediterranean Nautilus Bulgaria, PCCW Global B.V.
Magnetic Head Technologies
PCCW Global Inc., LAN MED Nautilus Limited, Fuze B.V.
- Advised PPF a.s. on the Bulgarian law aspects of the acquisition of the media and entertainment group Central European Media Enterprises, together with White & Case LLP as lead international counsel.
- Advised on the Bulgarian law aspects and assisted Walt Disney Co. to implement the global acquisition of the major entertainment assets of 21st Century Fox by Walt Disney Co. in Bulgaria.
- Advising the sellers on the sale of Bulsatcom, including assistance with due diligence and assistance with the local aspects of the transaction documentation and competition law advice.
CMS’ expertise in the media sector is noteworthy, as the team advises its roster of key clients, including the Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters, on regulatory, licensing, contract design and outsourcing matters. Counsel and head of the IT and media practice Anna Tanova is supported by corporate partner Atanas Bangachev, who is heavily involved in TMT transactions, co-manager of the Sofia office Gentscho Pavlov and counsel Veliko Savov. The practice group’s diverse client list also includes advertising agencies, software companies, satellite providers and private equity houses, among others.
Atanas Bangachev; Gentscho Pavlov; Veliko Savov; Anna Tanova
Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters
The Sales House
Bulgarian Association of Cable and Communications Operators – BACCO
Gilat Satellite Networks and RaySat Bulgaria
HMD Global Oy
CenturyLink Communications Bulgaria
- Advising Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters on legal matters relating to all aspects of the Association’s activities.
- Providing legal support to BACCO in the day-to-day work of the association and legal analysis concerning copyright and media law issues.
- Advising Smartcom on its day-to-day operations, including the participation in multiple public procurement procedures, the conclusion of servicing agreements with third parties in Nigeria, Egypt, England, and Germany, on various employment matters, as well as issues related to the licensing of the products used by the client.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co combines its advisory and unmatched litigation capability to act for publishing and IT companies, including Ciela Norma, Alliance Print and Experian Bulgaria, and telecoms operators in high-end disputes, as well as corporate, finance and regulatory matters. Practice leader Alexander Pachamanov focuses on corporate and competition issues in the telecoms sector, and advises cable television, satellite and mobile networks on licensing mandates. IP specialist Tsvetelina Dimitrova is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our constant impression is that the whole team demonstrates a customer-orientated skills and provides a high-quality service. We can mention Alexander Pachamanov because his knowledge and experience are exceptional in the field of local and EU regulations in the TMT sector as well as in litigation and commercial legislation. He also obtains a broad expertise in the legislation applicable to the corporate issues, financing and bonds.’
‘Our company has been working with Georgiev, Todorov & Co. for several years already. The combination of experienced and younger lawyers gives a great combination of theoretical knowledge and business-oriented approach, which is always positive, especially in TMT as the sector is constantly developing. The team is highly professional, reliable and precise. I am impressed with their strong market understanding and suitable advice.’
‘Tsvetelina Dimitrova impressed us with her outstanding friendly approach and communication skills, which let you easily trust her. In addition, she has excellent research skills and always reaches practical solutions.
‘Alexander Pachamanov – we cannot recommend him highly enough.’
‘The team provides prompt and high-quality services where the motivation of the lawyers and their level of expertise are constantly expressed. We assess the level of service as excellent, and we emphasise that the answers to the legal questions were provided by Georgiev, Todorov & Co. Law office in due time. Responses were accurate and always provided in close cooperation with in-house lawyers of the company.’
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company (BTC)
Metroreklama & Motion Arts
- Advising Borica on various matters, including recent consultations on IP rights over the architectural designs of the headquarters, as well as for the administrative regime for digitisation of handwriting for historically significant figures for Bulgaria.
- Represented Bulgarian Telecommunications Company in an unfair competition case against the national association of small and medium-sized cable operators.
- Consulted Ciela Norma in relation to a license agreement for transfer of software rights for the machines intended for the first machine voting for the Parliament elections in Bulgaria.
Praised for its demonstrable experience in handling ‘domestic and international telecoms and satellite communications law’ matters, Kambourov & Partners’ caseload includes landmark transactions, as well as litigation, compliance and regulatory mandates. The team’s diverse and enviable client list includes United Group, Facebook, TikTok and private equity firm Silverfleet capital. Following the departure of Mitko Karushkov in February 2021, IP specialist Margarita Guigova leads the practice group and is supported by key contacts Mario Arabistanov, who focuses on personal data protection compliance, and Yana Todorova.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Arabistanov; Yana Todorova
‘The team provides continuity and an exceptional knowledge of Bulgarian law and practice. Notwithstanding, what precedes the team has an impressive potential and capacity to learn and to advise in complex matters such as, but not limited to, domestic and international telecoms and satellite communications law and regulations.’
‘The team provides prompt and high-quality services where the motivation of the lawyers and their level of expertise are constantly expressed. We assess the level of service as excellent, and we emphasise that the answers to the legal questions were provided by Kambourov & Partners law office in due time. Responses were accurate and always provided in close cooperation with in-house lawyers of the company. The term sheets and reports are always submitted on time, and we have always been satisfied by the value of their services.’
Motion Picture Association (MPA)
Bulgarian Football Union (BFU)
Slavena Vutova & Katerina Evro/Recepti za jivota
Net Info (part of Nova Broadcasting Group)
- Advised Silverfleet Capital on its €45m investment in the merger of the Bulgarian software company Bulpros and the German CRM leader ec4u.
- Advising the Bulgarian Telecommunications Company on a number of transactional and regulatory matters.
- Advising TikTok on regulatory matters.
Penkov, Markov & Partners counts leading telecoms in Bulgaria, as well as international companies and start-ups operating in the field of e-commerce, fintech, software and artificial intelligence, among its key list of clients. Managing partner Nikolay Cvetanov leads the practice group and focuses on personal data protection and cybersecurity mandates. Notable clients include Uber and Booking.com; the team provides ongoing advice to both on regulatory issues related to e-commerce and other matters. Associate Rumyana Yordanova is also a key member of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘We highly recommend Penkov, Markov and Partners both with regard to major national and multinational complex matters, as they have a pragmatic approach to problem solving, providing excellent professional legal service.’
Think & Learn Private Limited (BYJU)
Viva Incubator Investment Management
- Advised the subsidiary of Ed-Tech company, Think & Learn Private Limited (BYJU), in negotiations, including analyses and revisions of a unique Shared Satellite Services Agreement.
- Assisted Klett Bulgaria in the revision and analysis of the functionalities of a new learning platform for students called “IZZI”, addressing various legal aspects and compliance matters.
- Advising Viva Incubator Investment Management on an e-fraud case against Bulgarian shell company Moray Management.
Commended for its ‘international know-how‘, Schoenherr (in cooperation with Stoyanov & Tsekova)’s ‘well-established TMT team’ has a track record in noteworthy transactions which continues to grow, as evidenced by its recent advice to United Group on the acquisition of several leading telecoms companies, including Net1, Digital Cable Television (N3) and NetworX Bulgaria. The practice is also active in matters concerning the provision of electronic services and e-commerce, as well as data protection issues. ‘Experienced negotiator’ Ilko Stoyanov, who specialises in corporate mandates and M&A deals arising out of the telecoms sector, leads the team alongside head of regulatory Stefana Tsekova. Radoslav Chemshirov left the firm in November 2021.
Stefana Tsekova; Ilko Stoyanov
‘The team is very responsive and quickly follows up on topics and inquiries. The span of expertise offered is very broad, and the level of knowledge is deep. The team readily shares experience accumulated from recent cases and knows the latest developments and changes in legislation. Whenever in a grey zone, the team offers a solid pro/con analysis, with pragmatic recommendations.’
‘Recently, I worked with Ilko Stoyanov in an M&A deal, and he represented the buyer. Ilko is very experienced, professional and cooperative. He is an experienced negotiator and is constructive to close the deal to the benefit of both parties.’
‘Schoenherr has a well-established TMT team to support country-specific nuances of regulatory work. They are very good in complex transactions as well, as they understand the customer’s business and add value.’
‘The team is experienced and hardworking, with international know-how and practice.’
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company (Vivacom)
GTS TELECOM (part of Deutsche Telekom)
- Advised United Group on the acquisition of several telecoms companies (Net1, Digital Cable Television (N3), and NetworX Bulgaria).
- Advised Ringier on the acquisition of Sportal Media Group and an affiliated IT company behind the leading international Sports Content Management System – Digital Ventures.
- Advised the French-based SaaS solutions provider SendinBlue on the acquisition of Metrilo.
Velchev & Co. Law Office
Velchev & Co. Law Office’s team is noted for its niche expertise in the gaming industry and regulatory capability in the telecoms sector, where the team acts for its diverse roster of both domestic and international clients. Stand out partner Pavel Velchev has over 20 years’ experience in the TMT sector and leads the practice group, which includes Parvan Rusinov, who focuses on IT regulatory matters, and gaming specialist Nadya Hambach. The team counts mobile operator A1 Bulgaria and Aprimis as key clients.
Other key lawyers:
Parvan Rusinov; Nadya Hambach
- Advised the leading mobile operator in Bulgaria, A1 Bulgaria, on the acquisition of a scarce resource for 5G.
- Advised Aprimis on the preparation of a strategy for actions against the violations of the copyrights and anti-piracy programme.
- Advised A1 Bulgaria on separation of the passive infrastructure into a different entity.
The TMT practice group at Wolf Theiss handles high-end, cross-border transactions in the media industry, as well as financing mandates arising out of the telecoms sector, and counts Software Group, Visa Europe and Megaport, to name a few, among its key roster of clients. Corporate partner Richard Clegg, who has experience in the technology sector, in addition to handling TMT and IT-driven venture capital deals, jointly leads the team alongside managing partner Anna Rizova, who focuses on regulatory issues in this space.
Richard Clegg; Anna Rizova
Other key lawyers:
Radena Tsvetanova; Hristina Dzhevlekova; Oleg Temnikov
Insight Venture Partners
J. P. Morgan Securities
- Advising Glove, an online delivery service, on a multi-jurisdictional acquisition of food service companies, including foodpanda.
- Advising Insight Venture Partners on a Series B investment into GTM Hub governed by New York law.
- Advising Software Group as lead counsel, on the acquisition of IP and source code from Finastra for its Kenyan and other African business.
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria has demonstrable experience in terrestrial broadcast media and has expanded its client roster to include IT companies and digital media providers. The team, which is praised for feeling ‘the pulse of any problem’, is led by Severina Liubenova, who is noted for her expertise in competition, media and telecoms matters. Key clients include Fresh Media Group and IT service provider Softline.
‘Severina Liubenova – We would single out her experience and understanding of our business as a particular strength as it allows her to give us practical and informed advice. During our entire working relationship, she has consistently demonstrated that she is a reliable, trustworthy and discreet professional who is dedicated to delivering the highest quality service to her clients. Our questions are usually handled directly by Ms. Liubenova, but our impressions of the overall team are also positive.’
‘The law firm appears to include dedicated experts in many different fields, so we trust that all of our questions, regardless of the subject matter, are always handled by qualified professionals with relevant experience.’
‘Exceptional professionals, creative application of law, understanding the client’s problems and different niche specialisations of the individual teams. They feel the pulse of any problem.’
Council of Minister (Bulgaria)
Fresh Media Group
- Advised Fresh Media Group on various day-to-day legal matters related to its business operations and corporate governance.
- Advising Softline on various legal matter related to its business development in Bulgaria.
- Advised Council of Ministers in relation to substantial amendments to the Electronic Government Act and the Electronic Communications Act.
CERHA HEMPEL Gerginov advises technology companies, including Samsung Bulgaria, Telenor Common Operation and Hewlett Packard Enterprise, among others, on M&A transactions and corporate restructurings, as well as compliance and commercial matters. Managing partner Boyko Gerginov, who has a strong focus in the IT sector, leads the practice group and is supported by senior associate Kalin Bonev. The team is praised for ‘going the extra mile’ for its clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘Always available, understanding client’s specifics and going the extra mile in the important moments.’
‘Fantastic support and collaboration.’
Telenor Common Operation
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE)
- Advised DXC.technology on an insourcing project, as well as on various other projects on an ongoing basis.
- Advising Samsung Bulgaria on an ongoing basis since 2016 with regard to all aspects of corporate and commercial, competition law, compliance matters, product law, insurance law, data protection, employment, consumer protection and general civil law matters.
- Advised Gauselmann Group in relation to the acquisition of a majority stake in Bede Gaming and its Bulgarian subsidiary (Bede Software Bulgaria).
The team at Jordanov, Ignatov, Ivanov Law Firm acts for telecoms companies and IT solution providers on a broad range of matters, which often involve a cross-border element, including regulatory issues, IP compliance, construction and commissioning of new facilities and protection of customers’ rights, to name a few. Rumen Ignatov, who specialises in IP mandates, leads the TMT practice group.
Other key lawyers:
‘The law firm has very qualified team of lawyers, who possess in depth knowledge and are capable of solving complex legal matters in all spheres of law.’
‘One can rely on them not only for the daily legal issues but also for dispute resolution and litigation procedures.’
‘They are proactive, responsive and very much aware of the business climate and innovations in Bulgaria.’
‘Sustainability is one important factor for us, as we are working with a small but stable team. For 5 years, the same team has been supporting us and we were able to create an excellent relationship and understanding with them.’
Turk Telekom International BG
- Consulting Vivansa on cross-border projects involving situation analysis and review of international best practice in implementing a new NCTS, as well as twinning a project under IPA 2012 “Modernisation of the Albanian Customs Administration”.
- Advising Sports Module on software leasing and service level agreements with its major domestic and international clients.
- Retained by Leader 96 in connection with a cross-border trademark dispute.
Kinstellar’s evolving TMT practice handles the IP and IT-related aspects of major M&A transactions, as well as regulatory issues, and counts Vodafone, Facebook and thredUp among its notable roster of clients. Following the departure of Anton Petrov in January 2021, senior associate Georgi Kanev, who specialises in technology, IP law and data protection matters, joined from Peterka & Partners in April 2021, while managing partner Diana Dimova leads the team. Of counsel Radoslav Chemshirov was a new arrival in November 2021 from Schoenherr (in cooperation with Stoyanov & Tsekova); he co-heads the firm-wide telecoms team.
Other key lawyers:
Nina Tsifudina; Georgi Kanev; Radoslav Chemshirov
‘The team (Nina Tsifudina and Georgi Kanev) quickly got into a very industry specific topic related to IP questions on industry specific software solution. In a short period of time, they were able to investigate and provide us with their opinion and possible courses of action and as a result we were able to take an informed decision on how to move forward.’
ISG Technology (Allvotec)
Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Advising GTT Communications on the sale of its telecoms infrastructure assets for ¢2.15bn.
- Advising Thermo Fisher Scientific regarding GDPR implementation in six of its sites across Europe.
- Advising thredUp, a leading online second-hand platform, on the acquisition of Remix Global for $28.5m.
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners has experience in transactions involving the purchase of film, music and software content, in addition to structuring matters in the field of television distribution and is noted for its expertise in IP protection. Managing partner Emiliyan Arnaudov leads the team alongside regulatory partner Sibina Eftenova and Hristo Koparanov, who advises on the commercial and IP aspects of IT projects.
Emiliyan Arnaudov; Sibina Eftenova; Hristo Koparanov
Ministry of Culture of Bulgaria
Council of Ministers of Bulgaria – Administration
Council of Electronic Media
BTV Media Group
- Advised the Ministry of Culture on a draft law on amendments and supplements to the Copyrights and Neighbouring Rights Act for the transposition of the DSM and SatCab directives.
- Providing legal servicing of Huawei in Bulgaria with a focus in the field of telecoms.
- Assigned to complete a project for full cybersecurity compliance of the Council of Electronic Media.