TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business in Brazil
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados provides comprehensive services in the field of technology law, covering advice on AI, cloud computing, digital platforms, e-commerce, Internet of Things (IoT), blockchain and cryptocurrency. The group brings together multi-disciplinary expertise in a range of areas, from litigation to compliance to corporate law, to assist technology companies, including start-ups operating in the areas of fintech, healthtech and govtech. Fabio Ferreira Kujawski is a name to note for technology law, demonstrating particular expertise in transactional work. Paulo Brancher routinely assists leading domestic and foreign companies, while Thiago Luís Sombra stands out for regulatory issues. Tax expert Lisa Worcman, who recently joined the team, excels in matters involving the technology sector.
‘The team has a strong background and experience in technology-related matters. Lawyers are always available to answer queries.’
‘The team is very responsive and skilled in tax discussions for digital economy companies. Lisa Worcman is recommended.’
‘Fabio Ferreira Kujawski is a very business-oriented partner with great skills and experience in the technology sector. His response time is outstanding and the level of appropriateness of his positions is brilliant. We mostly appreciate that he does not waste time and billable hours on matters that are not practical or that do not provide a practical path forward.’
Full-service firm Pinheiro Neto Advogados remains at the forefront of the market in the field of technology law, having evolved from assisting the IT and telecoms sectors on regulatory and software issues, to now also advising digital businesses on a range of corporate, tax and litigation matters. The group brings broad experience across transactional work and contentious matters, handling issues pertaining to the education, e-commerce, advertising, data analytics, mobile games and streaming industry segments. The firm enjoys a strong link to international tech hotspots, having established two foreign offices in Silicon Valley and Tokyo in the last two years. Raphael de Cunto has multi-disciplinary experience in corporate and tech law, while Larissa Galimberti's expertise covers tech transactions, open source software, bitcoin, agrotech and e-commerce platforms. Technology transfers and software licensing are core areas of activity for André Zonaro Giacchetta. José Mauro Decoussau Machado is another point of contact in the team.
- Advising Softbank in its investments across Latin America after it announced In 2019 that it was launching a $5bn fund that would invest in technology start-ups across Latin America.
- Advised on the incorporation of a joint venture between Bravium and Bayer with the purposes of developing new technology for the agribusiness sector.
- Advised on the structuring of the Brazilian branch of Knotel, a real estate intermediary platform that connects companies to a built-to-suit workplace.
- Representing a client in a lawsuit filed by Instituto Brasileiro de Política e Direito da Informática (IBDI), in a case concerning consumer and antitrust law.
- Assisted Facebook Serviços Online do Brasil in a relevant administrative proceeding initiated by the National Consumer Office of the Ministry of Justice (Senacon) and a public civil action filed by a private association in charge of consumers’ protection due to the episode of data breach involving the company Cambridge Analytica.
Pereira Neto | Macedo
Pereira Neto | Macedo advises on the implementation of strategic projects on behalf of online service providers and technology companies. The team works in co-operation with other firm-wide practice groups, particularly the telecoms and antitrust teams, to offer assistance to large companies and start-ups in the full range of regulatory issues pertaining to technology. Typical mandates range from advising on new products to cloud computing services and IoT. The department is jointly headed by highly recommended partner Ronaldo Lemos, who focuses on technology, media and data protection, and Daniel Tinoco Douek, whose experience encompasses administrative and regulatory law.
Direct Talk Comércio e Tecnologia
Dentsu Aegis Nework Brasil
Fundação CPQD – Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecomunicações
- Drafted a legal opinion for Microsoft concerning the social, economic and legal feasibility of the contracting of cloud services by São Paulo Court of Justice.
- Provides legal assistance to Passei Direto with a focus on compliance with Brazilian Copyright Law (Law No. 9.610/1998), including the adoption of strategies against counterfeiting.
- Retained by Dentsu, a media company focused on digital marketing and advertising, to provide assistance on a number of legal matters regarding media, technology and data protection.
- Advising Direct Talk Comércio e Tecnologia (Hi Platform) on matters related to software licensing agreements, drafting of terms of service and advertising material.
The information technology and internet practice group at Veirano Advogados advises on the negotiation of agreements for software development, IT outsourcing and cloud computing services. The team benefits from a strong collaboration with other departments at the firm, including IP, tax, regulatory and compliance, which strengthens its ability to assist clients on all aspects of their activities. The firm has an extensive track record in the field of venture capital, and often acts for start-ups in the fintech, agritech and energy sectors in the context of M&A transactions and investments; Guilherme Potenza leads on this type of work. Complex technology transactions and cloud computing services are among Fábio Pereira's legal specialisms. Valdir Rocha is another name to note.
Housi Gestão Patrimonial
Decorati Tecnologia para Reformas
Point Break Capital LP
Light Street Capital
Beleza na Web
Creditoo Tecnologia, Soluções Financeiras e Serviços
- Advised Docket throughout the investment process related to a Series A2 capital injection from ONEVC following a previous seed investment in the company.
- Advising Idwall, a São Paulo-based IT company founded in 2016 that offers document validation services, identity and data inspection, in relation to a Series B capital injection led by venture capital fund Qualcomm Ventures.
- Advised Beleza na Web in its sale to the O Boticário Group.
- Acted for Elgin in the acquisition of the totality of the quotas of Bematech Hardware held by Totvs and Bematech.
Azevedo Sette Advogados is well equipped to assist the growing demand of IT clients in the context of software development, distribution agreements and outsourcing, among other areas. Companies acting in the internet, new technologies and e-commerce fields also seek the team's advice on contractual issues, tax law, corporate matters and dispute resolution. Ricardo Barretto Ferreira da Silva is highly regarded in technology law; he jointly leads the department with Luiz Augusto Azevedo Sette, who stands out for transactional work.
The Body Shop
Tate & Lyle Legal
JCI BSA – Business Software Alliance
- Assisted Omiexperience in the acquisition of 10% capital stock of Nubem Soluções em Software, a Brazilian software company specialised in tax software.
- Provides legal advice to Fóton Informática in the preparation all documents arising from the conversion of the company’s common shares into preferred shares.
- Acting for EA in a major litigation involving one of its worldwide famous videogames (FIFA) against a group of approximately 150 plaintiffs.
Opice Blum, Bruno, Abrusio, Vainzof Advogados Associados
Opice Blum, Bruno, Abrusio, Vainzof Advogados Associados has extensive experience in technology and digital law. The broad service offering covers advice on electronic contracts and sector-related litigation. In addition, the group is adept at assisting international IT companies with the establishment of subsidiaries in the country. Renato Opice Blum stands out for his expertise in digital law matters; he co-leads the department with Marcos Bruno, Juliana Abrusio, Camilla Jimene, Rony Vainzof and Caio César Carvalho Lima, who is a seasoned practitioner in e-commerce contracts, software licensing and technology transfer agreements.
Suahouse.com Tecnologia e Gestão Imobiliária Ltda.
- Defending Suahouse.com Tecnologia e Gestão Imobiliária, a company that creates management software for real estate companies, in a lawsuit filed by Hypnobox Consultoria e Licenciamento de Sistemas Online.
- Retained by Aliansce Sonae, an important shopping centre developer in the country, to provide legal advice for the structuring of a marketplace for the merchandising of products of retailers established on the group’s malls.
- Conducting a legal analysis on behalf of Positive Tecnologia regarding the company’s Smart Home project.
The technology and innovation department at TozziniFreire Advogados offers advice on regulatory issues, transactional matters and litigation. The team handles matters ranging from software development and licensing agreements to technology transfers, blockchain, bitcoin and venture capital. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, whose areas of expertise include IT and corporate law, leads the department. Patricia Helena Marta Martins has significant experience in technology-related litigation, including cases involving intermediary liability and data privacy. Start-ups often seek Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana's advice on corporate matters and transactions.
- Assists Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram in issues regarding Brazilian consumer law, data protection and technology.
- Advised Sinqia on the acquisition of Stock & Info, a technology company specialising in the development of pension plan management software.
- Representing Facebook Serviços Online do Brasil in a case before the Supreme Court discussing the constitutionality of section 19 of the Internet Law.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe handles a variety of work in the field of IT, e-commerce and outsourcing, offering advice on e-business, technology licensing, software and software as a service (SaaS) distribution, among other areas. The lawyers also have cross-practice expertise in ancillary areas, including litigation, tax planning, M&A and corporate financing, to assist clients with a broad range of matters. Department co-heads Flavia Rebello and Gabriela Paiva Morette combine in-depth knowledge of digital law, IP and technology issues.
- Assisted Nintendo in the review of several aspects of its gaming services and hardware distribution, including compliance with the Internet Legal Framework.
- Representing McAfee in a high-profile case involving a 12-year partnership with one of the leading internet players in Brazil.
Baptista Luz Advogados combines expertise in IP, M&A and commercial transactions to address the needs of clients active in emerging technologies, including the gig economy, fintech, healthtech and digital media. The practice is proficient in technology agreements, ranging from software development to SaaS licenses and intangible asset transfers, and also offers advice on transactional and regulatory matters. Pedro Ramos co-heads the team with Renato Leite Monteiro, who specialises in data protection and IT law.
Grupo Pão de Açúcar
Estée Lauder Co.
The technology department at Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados is active in advising domestic and international companies on technology transfer agreements, digitally-driven business models and data protection issues. Luiz Felipe Di Sessa oversees the practice group, and possesses a strong track record in assisting start-ups with investment contracts.
Adopting a multi-disciplinary approach, Dias Carneiro Advogados provides assistance in a wide range of issues pertaining to the technology sector, including regulatory matters, commercial agreements and the protection of IP assets. The team demonstrates particular strength in acting for companies from the video game industry in relation to e-sports regulation, which is an area of expertise for practice head Vanessa Pareja Lerner. Lerner, whose specialisms also include licensing agreements and technology transfers, leads the department alongside Eduardo Turkienicz.
‘The team is exceptional to work with. Lawyers are not only diligent with every detail but also understand our business to guide us through the issues that are important to us.’
‘We work closely with Juliana and Vanessa – both of which are great to work with. Our first engagement was a large, complex deal and both of them navigated the legal issues, all the while translating from Portuguese to English for us. They proved to drive closure by understanding both sides and determining the best course forward.’
‘The team is able to bring different perspective and examples when asked to advise on how to solve issues in our business, regardless of the area of knowledge (labour, IP, tax, digital,…). They know who to assign the questions within their team and coordinate their process to come up with an assertive resolution to us on time in a multidisciplinary approach.’
‘DCA professionals build a strong relationship with our teams based on trust, commitment with time, quality and transparency. They go beyond what is asked and look for news, articles and other evidence to complement their advisory when getting back to us.’
Arquivei Serviços Online
2RM Tecnologia da Informação
Lalamove Tecnologia (Brasil)
- Assisting Frubana Comércio e Distribuição de Alimentos, a Colombian start-up that is expanding its operations to other countries in Latin America, in assessing the legal impacts regarding its operational plans to enter the Brazilian market.
- Providing legal support to Memed, a start-up acting in the medical sector that allows doctors to efficiently issue prescriptions, in relation to all legal strategic decisions of the company.
Felsberg Advogados houses teams specialised in innovation, start-ups, venture capital, technology and data protection, which are well equipped to advise domestic and foreign emerging businesses, corporate investors, private equity funds and financial institutions. Evy Marques has extensive experience assisting start-ups and other innovative enterprises in relation to commercial agreements and M&A, including investment rounds and exits. Technology law is an area of expertise for Clarissa Luz, who predominantly advises on data privacy issues.
‘Felsberg’s team has all sorts of specialists. And this is mandatory when we are talking about tech and innovation. Most of the times different visions and knowledge are needed in order to construct a solution.’
‘Evy Marques understands startups, venture capital and innovation. She is a market insider and builds bridges for peers wanting to target or enter these markets.’
‘Evy Marques is an outstanding partner, market visionary and true pioneer. She has started the innovation practice and has long been able to support us with full service long before other major law firms even begun understanding the workings of startups, seed investing and venture capital. Moreover she is building a spectacular team and builds the perfect bridge to other professionals in and outside the firm.’
‘Felsberg has a highly qualified team with valuable experience in the most diverse aspects of Brazilian Law. Its analyses are always rich and full of important information. I must say that the work performed by Emily Caroline de Camillo is simply outstanding. She is very precise and quick on providing the appropriate information for everything I ask her. She works as a partner of our business, drawing scenarios and giving multiple solutions to any type of issue.’
World Bank Hospital das Clínicas
The Not Company
- Assisting Hospital das Clínicas of the State of São Paulo with the conception of an innovation hub to connect its researchers with innovators and investors aiming to become a reference in health innovation.
- Advising Drumwave on the structuring of its digital business in Brazil, including the creation of a marketplace and platform to dynamically capture, combine, analyse, pack, price, sell and deliver data value for internal and external uses of datasets and data products.
Investment funds, startups, internet providers, technology companies and fintechs regularly instruct Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados on a range of contentious and non-contentious matters. The firm's broad service offering covers advice on technology contracts, strategic transactions, software licensing agreements and regulatory issues; other core areas of activity include mandates involving AI and cryptocurrency. A name to note in this space is blockchain expert Maurício Vedovato, who heads up the department with Fábio Floriano Melo Martins and Bruno Robert.
‘Team leader Maurício Vedovato has immense knowledge as well as a great relationship with clients.’
MB Digital Assets
The Match Group – Tinder Dating
Par Perfeito Comunicação
Expedia Trivago Gmbh
Alugue Temporada – Homeaway do Brasil
Its4 Schools Software
Mercado Bitcoin Serviços Digitais
Stratasys Direct Manufacturing
Solid Concepts Serviços de Impressão 3D
- Advised Growth Tech on regulatory matters and helped the client to structure and propose new regulations for the blockchain and real estate market in Brazil.
- Represented ClassApp in its agreement with Kria/Basement for the issuance of securities through Basement’s online crowdfunding platform.
The technology team at KLA Advogados provides comprehensive services to IT and digital market companies in matters related to emerging technology and regulation. Its practitioners routinely advise clients on new products and business ventures, as well as corporate transactions, software development, technology transfer agreements and e-commerce. Tania Liberman, who focuses on technology, internet and entertainment sector-related matters, oversees the department with corporate and M&A expert Karin Alvo.
‘Strong international law and local Brazilian law know-how. The team is strong in M&A, software, and consulting agreements.’
‘Very fast, knowledgeable, and professional lawyers. Luiz Filipe Aranha, Tania Liberman and Vanessa Pirro are recommended.’
Enjoei.com.br Atividades de Internet
- Assisted Kaszek Ventures in a funding round, led by SoftBank and Kaszek Ventures and followed by Monashees and Canary funds, into Volanty, a Brazil-based online platform for buying and selling second-hand cars.
- Assisted Duracell with the negotiation and drafting of a service agreement and related terms (including data protection addendums) with Neogrid.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados bolstered its technology practice with the hire of Diego Gualda, who has a wealth of experience acting for major companies in the internet sector and digital sphere. He is now leading the team, which routinely handles matters involving IoT, video on demand and data protection issues. Of particular note is the department's support to fintech, proptech and insurtech companies on licensing rights, M&A, contractual agreements and litigation.
‘This specific team at Machado Meyer (Tech, innovation and digital business) is led by Diego Gualda, who has a lot of knowledge of the industry itself. Diego understands my mindset because of his previous in-house experience, his personality and our long term partnership. Our professional relationship surpasses merely assessments and I feel like they are someone I can trust when asking for advice.’