Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados’ team guides clients through the implementation of digital strategies and technology transactions, while also providing regulatory advice in various areas, including e-commerce, cloud computing, artificial intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT). Fabio Ferreira Kujawski and Paulo Brancher, who have comprehensive knowledge of civil and consumer law litigation, are regularly engaged by technology companies in relation to transactional, regulatory and contractual issues. The ‘highly capable and technical team’ is also noted for its track record in IT public procurement, new product launches, financing of start-ups, and data protection. The practice also benefits from a strong presence in Brasília, where ‘exceptional’ former state attorney Thiago Luís Sombra leads a team that represents clients before regulatory agencies, public authorities and the Supreme Federal Court in relation to tech litigation. Since publication the firm has further strengthened the team with the March-2022 hire of Luiz Felipe Di Sessa from Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados.
TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business in Brazil
‘They are first-class service providers. They are very knowledgeable and extremely business driven. Thiago Sombra and Paulo Brancher are unique in the Brazilian market. Their skills are outstanding and they are always available to find a solution to any problem the client may have.’
‘Highly capable and technical team in their work and deliveries. Partners and associates are well prepared, understand the client’s business structure and needs.’
‘The firm meets our needs in various areas of law. Its professionals demonstrate great technical knowledge.’
‘Thiago Luis Sombra provides us with an excellent service, always within the deadline we ask for, and demonstrates deep knowledge of the topics.’
‘The team as a whole is extremely competent in the area of technology and digital law, with an excellent perception and great knowledge of our business. We consider this a differential, as firms must always seek to be aligned with the culture of the company they work for.’
‘Thiago Luís Santos Sombra is highly qualified, competent and knowledgeable. He answers all queries within the stipulated timeframe and has a huge availability, including outside business hours.’
‘Great knowledge of privacy issues in the financial services sector. Thiago Sombra is an exceptional lawyer, who is very hands-on and available.’
Alibaba Group Holding
Netflix Entretenimento Brasil
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
B3 – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão
Hospital das Clínicas
Google Brasil Internet
Tencent Holdings Limited
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
MercadoLivre.com Atividades de Internet
Honda Automóveis do Brasil
Brasilseg Companhia de Seguros
- Advised Samsung on the regulatory requirements for the implementation of a Blockchain Keystore and crypto Wallet, a novel technology to enhance user experience in the Galaxy device.
- Advised B3 on structuring a blockchain platform for the insurance industry, rendering legal assistance on the blockchain requirements.
- Advised Alibaba on tech regulation in the implementation of Alibaba’s Global Acceleration service (a network acceleration service that enables nearby access to the internet and cross-region deployment of applications, improving the user experience of Internet services).
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is ‘extremely proactive and has a lot of knowledge on topics related to technology, innovation and digital business‘. The team regularly advises venture capital clients and digital businesses across an array of sectors, such as education, data analytics, gaming and e-commerce, in relation to transactional, corporate, IP, regulatory and litigation mandates. The firm, which already acts for leading Chinese tech companies in the social media and gaming segments, recently announced the opening of a Tokyo office in line with its Asia-wide strategy. Key individuals include José Mauro Decoussau Machado, who focuses on IP, data privacy and technology matters; André Zonaro Giacchetta, whose areas of expertise include technology transfers and software licensing; and Raphael de Cunto who is specialised in tech-related mandates and oversees the Palo Alto office. Larissa Galimberti is a standout practitioner; she has advised on the structuring of new tech businesses in Brazil, most notably in the banking, payments, healthcare, agribusiness and urban mobility sectors.
‘The Pinheiro Neto team is extremely proactive and has a lot of knowledge on topics related to technology, innovation and digital business. They have a very good understanding of the challenges involved in launching new tech products.’
‘José Mauro Machado, Raphael di Cunto, Beatriz Landi, and Gustavo Ferrer are recommended.’
- Represented Facebook in two public civil actions filed by a private association in charge of consumer protection in the state of Maranhão.
- Assists major multinational pharmaceutical companies in their data privacy practices.
- Represents Twitter in all lawsuits involving the electoral period in Brazil since 2014.
With a strong track record in technology-related litigation, TozziniFreire Advogados has significant experience in advising major international social network companies in relation to civil and electoral disputes. The team's workload is also populated by transactional and regulatory matters, covering technology transfers, venture capital, fintech and software licensing agreements. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman is a key contact for contractual issues and other non-contentious mandates pertaining to the technology sector and data privacy issues. Patricia Helena Marta Martins, who specialises in digital law, stands out for her involvement in high-profile data protection and technology ligation. Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana and Bruna Borghi Tomé, the latter of whom regularly handles litigation issues on behalf of technology companies, are also noted.
Marcela Waksman Ejnisman; Patrícia Helena Marta Martins
‘Tozzini is diligent, extremely knowledgeable and efficient in delivering thorough analysis and excellent results.’
‘Assertiveness and promptness.’
‘I would highlight Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana.’
- Retained as leading counsel for TikTok – ByteDance Brasil, assisting it in strategic tech litigation.
- Assists Facebook with strategic civil and electoral litigation cases concerning Facebook and Instagram products.
- Advised Raidiam – a digital identity and access management technology product and services firm based in the UK – on an agreement that will regulate the duties and obligations of the client when rendering open banking services.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Noted for its 'very refined technical knowledge', Trench Rossi Watanabe's team has particularly strong credentials in technology litigation and enforcement matters, as well as a wealth of experience advising on the negotiation of IT agreements, software licensing, e-commerce issues and transactions. Flavia Rebello is seasoned in technology transfers, SaaS outsourcing, tech copyright issues and data protection. Rebello jointly oversees the department with Gabriela Paiva Morette and Marcela Trigo, the latter of whom regularly represents clients in disputes involving data privacy, IT contracts and other tech law issues. The department saw further growth with the arrival of technology and data protection expert Flávia Amaral in July 2021.
Flavia Rebello; Marcela Trigo; Gabriela Paiva Morette
‘Partners have very refined technical knowledge, which makes the team stand out. Flávia Rebello and Marcela Trigo are excellent.’
‘The team is very proactive and keeps very close control of each of the hundreds of cases we work on together. They always seek a unique look at the cases, seeking to explore different theses, without fear of daring.’
‘Marcela Trigo shares the management of cases with her Trench team, without the typical centralism of offices, which greatly facilitates the fluidity of the work.’
‘Marcela Trigo and Felipe Zaltmann are available, accessible and very open to discussions. They are true team players. They know a lot about the background of the cases and civil proceedings.’
Amazon Web Services
Johnson & Johnson
Jones Lang Lasalle
- Representing WhatsApp in two constitutional cases before the Supreme Federal Court regarding the constitutionality of WhatsApp’s end-to-end encryption system and the constitutionally of court orders determining the nationwide blocking of WhatsApp.
- Defending Pinterest in a number of lawsuits requiring content takedown and disclosure of user data.
- Representing Spotify in several cases pending before Rio Grande do Sul’s state courts related to copyright infringement.
Bringing together multidisciplinary expertise across regulatory issues, compliance, corporate, tax and dispute resolution, Azevedo Sette Advogados is skilled at assisting clients with the drafting and negotiation of software agreements, licensing matters, IT outsourcing, SaaS contracts and cloud computing services. Co-head Ricardo Barretto Ferreira handles both non-contentious matters and litigation, while fellow co-leader Luiz Augusto Azevedo Sette focuses on M&A transactions involving the technology sector.
Ricardo Barretto Ferreira; Luiz Augusto Azevedo Sette
‘Dedicated attention from lawyers who are always attentive and close to the clients.’
‘They deliver high quality work in a reasonable time meeting the client’s deadline expectations. They are always available.’
‘Luiz Azevedo Sette, Juliana Gebara and Sene Santos Ikeda are recommended.’
Amazon Web Services
Check Point Software Technologies
JCI (Johnson Controls)
Tempo Assist Seguros
- Continuously assists Hyland Software in a variety of IT contractual issues in Brazil.
- Advises Shiseido on its e-commerce structure in connection with contractual and tax issues in Brazil.
- Helping Somos Nuvem (the Brazilian subsidiary of Tigabytes) to restructure all of its IT contracts in Brazil, improving and adapting its standard agreements.
The technology transactions and data protection practice at B/Luz has significant experience acting for clients operating in the fintech, edtech, digital media, gig economy and urban mobility segments. Core areas of activity include advising on software development agreements, SaaS contracts and technology transfers. The team is also adept in the drafting and negotiation of joint venture agreements, licensing deals and venture capital transactions. Pedro Ramos, who focuses on media, data protection and tech transactional work, jointly leads the department with Fernando Bousso and of counsel Renato Leite Monteiro.
Pedro Ramos; Fernando Bousso; Renato Leite
Estée Lauder Companies
Grupo Pão de Açucar
- Assisted 99 and Didi Chuxing in the launch of a project to use footage from external dashcams installed on vehicles used by drivers to enhance and update elements in Didi’s map software.
- Assisted DASA in all the regulatory and data privacy aspects related to the development of a major chest segmentation tomography platform based on artificial intelligence.
- Advised Tail Target, a premium independent data management platform that operates in Latin America, on a transaction involving TOTVS, the largest ERP software company in Brazil.
Dias Carneiro Advogados advises start-ups and well-established technology companies on all aspects of their business operations, including product structuring, regulatory compliance, corporate transactions, commercial agreements, IP rights and data protection matters. Vanessa Pareja Lerner is singled out for her in-depth knowledge of the video game industry; she is instructed by a varied client base on transactional and commercial mandates. Eduardo Turkienicz is another name to note in the TMT team.
Vanessa Pareja Lerner; Eduardo Turkienicz
Arquivei Serviços Online
Memed 2RM Tecnologia da Informação
Lalamove Tecnologia (Brasil)
Apptite – Inovações E Tecnologia
- Advised Riot Games on the structuring of the first eSports franchise in Brazil.
- Assisted 2RM Tecnologia da Informação in the legal strategy and structuring of the largest medical prescription platform of Brazil.
- Advised Google Pagamentos Brasil on the request of a license to operate as a payment institution in Brazil.
Felsberg Advogados' data protection and technology team works in close collaboration with the innovation, start-ups and venture capital practice to provide full-service advice to start-ups, investment funds, financial institutions and emerging companies across a range of sectors, including fintech, healthtech, insurtech and biotechnology. The team is singled out for its strong transactional and corporate capabilities; Evy Marques is the name to note for this type of work and is praised for having 'a complete knowledge of this area of practice'. João Carlos Mendonça is another key contact for tech and healthcare companies in transactional matters. Clarissa Luz's arrival in 2019 further strengthened the firm's technology offering, especially on the data protection front.
Evy Marques; Clarissa Luz; João Carlos Mendonça
‘Speed and ability to see legal matters from an entrepreneur’s point of view. Ability to advise new and disruptive businesses. João Carlos Mendonça is excellent.’
‘Evy Marques has a complete knowledge of this area of practice, and provides in-depth analyses of matters.’
‘Commitment to the client. João Carlos Mendonça is recommended.’
‘Extremely competent professionals with mastery of legal matter. Excellent relationship with clients. Evy Marques has an above-average capacity to understand a very specific business such as ours; she has a fantastic reading of negotiation situations.’
The Not Company
Hands Market Brasil
- Advising ClickBus on the structuring of a new business model called ClickBus X, consisting of the commercialisation of vacant seats through its online platform.
- Assisting Blackboard, a platform with innovative technologies and services in connection with education, with the structuring of its digital business in Brazil.
- Advising TSYS, a provider of seamless, secure and innovative solutions to payment card issuers, on negotiating and drafting technology services agreements, which involve the license of software and the internet security policy of TSYS.
Opice Blum, Bruno, Abrusio, Vainzof Advogados Associados
Opice Blum, Bruno, Abrusio, Vainzof Advogados Associados offers advice to a variety of clients in relation to e-commerce, AI, technology contracts, start-ups, blockchain and cryptocurrencies. The group is well equipped to assist foreign IT companies seeking to establish subsidiaries in Brazil. Renato Opice Blum has a wealth of experience in IP and digital law matters, while Marcos Bruno is particularly sought after for advice on media issues. Caio Lima specialises in digital law, and is proficient in the negotiation of software licensing agreements, technology transfers and privacy matters. Cybersecurity is also an area of activity for Rony Vainzof. José Roberto Opice Blum, Camilla Jimene and Danielle Serafino are other noteworthy practitioners.
Renato Opice Blum; Marcos Bruno; José Roberto Opice Blum; Rony Vainzof; Caio Lima; Camilla Jimeme; Danielle Serafino
‘The firm is at the forefront of the tech market and helps us stay up to date with digital law. Renato Opice Blum, Marcos Bruno and Caio Lima are recommended.’
Uniprime Central – Central Interestadual de Cooperativas de Crédito
VS Datta Imagem Comércio e Serviços Eireli
Cartório Azevedo Bastos
- Assisted Apple in the assessment of the legality of using Facetime tool for telemedicine during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisted Uniprime Central – Central Interestadual de Cooperativas de Crédito in the preparation of documents for opening an electronic account, and provided a legal opinion on the safekeeping and digitalisation of documents.
Veirano Advogados fields a team of specialised lawyers whose expertise cuts across software agreements, IT outsourcing and cloud computing. Its varied client roster is made up of electronic payments, social networks, new technologies and e-commerce companies seeking advice on financing, transactions, IP issues, litigation and the structuring of new products and services. Fábio Pereira is the main point of contact for IT mandates, including complex technology transactions, data protection and cloud computing services. In a significant move, former partner Guilherme Potenza left the firm. Senior associate Isabel Hering is also highlighted.
‘An excellent team bringing in expertise from other parts of the firm as necessary. They took the time to properly get to know our business in order to give commercially sensible and practical advice.’
‘Isabel Hering has been a stand-out lawyer in this excellent team. Practical, no-nonsense advice.’
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF)
HAYS Recruiting Experts Worldwide
MTU do Brasil
The Husqvarna Group
Cpqd – Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecomunicações
Seguradora Líder do Consórcio DPVAT
Taxweb Software De Compliance Fiscal
- Supports CPQD- Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento em Telecomunicações in a number of agreements with its clients, including public and private entities.
With a special focus on financial and payment technologies, Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados is seen with great regularity acting for start-ups and fintech clients. Advising on the structuring of e-commerce and new financial products and services are strong points for the department, which is also routinely engaged in compliance and regulatory matters. Founding partner Fabio Cascione is recognised for his experience in banking and financial matters. Marcelo Padua Lima receives instructions from online marketplaces and e-commerce clients, while tech companies and financial institutions seek Aaron Papa de Morais's legal support on a regular basis.
Fabio Cascione; Marcelo Padua Lima
‘Very high knowledge of subjects, including the newest topics on the market.’
‘Aaron Papa de Morais and Marcelo Padua Lima are excellent lawyers.’
Google Brasil Pagamentos
Sherwin Williams do Brasil
In Loco Tecnologia da Informação
Interbrok Corretores Internacionais de Seguros
TRUMPF Máquinas Indústria e Comércio
Leroy Merlin Companhia Brasileira de Bricolagem
Bom Negócio Atividades de Internet (OLX)
Hash Lab Soluções Pagamentos
- Assisting Google’s payment entity in Brazil in connection with the offering of different payment products and services to Brazilian users.
- Provided legal advice to a joint venture formed by In Loco Tecnologia da Informação and Tempest Serviços de Informática regarding the compatibility of the services provided by an innovative geolocation app with the Brazilian banking regulations.
- Advises Leroy Merlin in a variety of matters, including on legal and regulatory matters associated with its e-commerce and marketplace, with a focus on financial matters.
The technology practice at Cescon Barrieu brings together experts in capital markets, M&A, venture capital, IP and data protection, who focus on the negotiation of complex agreements in the IT sector. Recent highlights also demonstrate the team’s strength in assisting with technology transfers and mandates involving fintech clients. Luiz Felipe Di Sessa is skilled in handling the data protection and technology aspects of M&A transactions and partnership agreements. He leads the department, which also counts on the expertise of IP specialist Julia Costa Diniz. The department was given a further boost with the arrival of IP, TMT and corporate law specialist Tania Liberman from KLA Advogados in October 2021. However, since publication, Di Sessa has left the firm - effective as of March 2022.
Luiz Felipe Di Sessa
‘The availability, prompt and personalised service are factors that we value, in addition to the high level of knowledge, commitment, technique and mastery of the subject.’
‘The team serves us purposefully, innovating and bringing new solutions to our demands. Luiz Felipe Di Sessa is recommended.’
Monkey Serviços de Tecnologia
Grupo de Valorização à Educação
- Acted for Monkey Serviços de Tecnologia, a company that intermediates the purchase of receivables through an online platform, in the drafting of several agreements related to the platform, assists the company on its day-to-day needs.
- Advised Avalara in connection with the acquisition of Brazilian software companies.
- Advised Méliuz on data protection legislation and IT-related issues in the context of the client’s IPO, and coordinated its LGPD compliance programme.
The ‘versatile team‘ at Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados has established itself as a go-to firm for matters relating to internet application providers, online travel agencies, AI and blockchain. The department’s track record includes various projects developed by start-ups in the healthcare, financial services and logistics segments, as well as investments, software licensing agreements and data protection issues. Maurício Vedovato is a reference in the Brazilian blockchain arena. Heavyweight technology and internet clients seek Fábio Floriano Melo Martins‘ advice on a range of issues. E-commerce, software and data privacy issues are key areas of practice for Priscila Furgeri Morando. Since publication: the firm endured a significant split in February 2022 with the departure of 24 lawyers to found HRSA; while the firm retains 47 attorneys, Vedovato is among those who have left.
Fábio Floriano Melo Martins; Priscila Furgeri Morando
‘Reference firm in the matter of new technologies and development of new businesses.’
‘Professionals are always up-to-date and developing broad discussions regarding innovation and new technologies. Maurício Vedovato is a team leader and reference in the market. ‘
‘Versatile team, which is assembled on a case-by-case basis depending on the needs of each project. Ease of access and contact. Great technical.’
‘Fábio Martins is a partner who understands the client’s business well and is an authority in civil law and strategic litigation.’
MB Digital Assets
The Match Group
Par Perfeito Comunicação
Mercado Bitcoin Serviços Digitais
Violab Produções Artístics
- Advised Growth Tech on regulatory matters and helped the client to structure and propose new regulations for the blockchain market in Brazil.
- Assisted Ormelle and its founders in all matters related to the structuring of the license of technology and its software development during the relationship with Ogasec.
KLA Advogados is a popular destination for investment funds, start-ups and other clients from the technology sector looking for assistance with digital law, energy technologies and regulatory issues. Practice head Karin Alvo is the main point of contact for clients in the private equity and venture capital sectors. Alvo has experience handling corporate and M&A deals, as well as technology-related mandates. October 2021 saw the departure of former co-head Tania Liberman.
‘Committed, competent and caring professionals.’
Lumiar Educações e Participações
Eventbrite Brasil Gestão Online de Evento
Associação Japan House
Boston Scientific do Brasil
Grant Thornton Brasil
- Assisted Kaszek with its investment in Bee Tech (Remessa Online).
- Assisted DXC with the implementation of a privacy programme.
- Assisted Duracell with the negotiation and drafting of the service agreement and related terms (including data protection addendums) with Neogrid.
Covering public law, tax, labour, IP and litigation, the technology practice at Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados offers assistance to start-ups and well-established companies in traditional sectors in relation to digital law. Leading the department is Diego Gualda, who draws on his former experience as in-house counsel at major internet and technology companies. He has a wealth of experience in both non-contentious and litigation mandates, advising on the structuring of new business models, internet regulation, data protection and contractual issues. In September 2021, the department was significantly bolstered by the arrival of data and digital law expert Juliana Abrusio.
‘Well-prepared team, able to understand the details of the client’s business, and that is why it is able to provide quality and tailored services.’
‘Diego Gualda has the ability to understand clients’ needs and provide adequate solutions, indicating the risks of decision-making.
Verizon Media Internet
Zoom Video Communications
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Câmara Brasileira de Comércio Eletrônico