Working in close collaboration with firm-wide litigators and criminal law experts, the environmental team at Demarest Advogados is equipped to handle high-stakes lawsuits across the country. Contentious matters involving reverse logistics and solid waste management are areas of strength for the department, as is land contamination, environmental licensing of industrial activities and climate change. Furthermore, the group, which is led by renowned environmental lawyer Luiz Sant’Anna, is often retained by clients across the energy, mining, agribusiness, forestry and pharmaceutical industries engaged in M&A and capital markets transactions. Bringing together expertise in environmental disciplines including air, water, natural resources and biodiversity, the team is well-positioned to advise on administrative, regulatory and policy-making mandates. Other key individuals include Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo (who was promoted to partner in January 2022) and Marina Montes Bastos, both of whom possess specialist knowledge of climate change issues, solid waste matters and environmental licensing.
Environment in Brazil
‘Demarest’s environmental team has a multidisciplinary vision, offering solutions to environmental issues, but always anticipating any developments that may occur in other spheres of law, such as civil and criminal matters.’
‘Brazilian legislation is diffuse and complex, so the deep knowledge of the subject by the Demarest team makes it stand out. Availability and commitment to the cause and objective action to resolve the problem quickly.’
‘Luiz Sant’Anna has a strategic vision. He helped us to identify threats and opportunities during the execution of the work and investigation. Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo stands out for her dedication and constant concern in carrying out the work, questioning points and indicating possible legal risks.’
‘Very technical professionals who seek to have a closer view of the client’s business, as a way to propose a solution that best meets their needs.’
‘Luiz Sant’Anna is very collaborative, available and brings great performance in developing strategies. Marina is very organised, and technical in complex subjects.’
Vale – Terminal Ilha Guaíba
- Retained by Vale to issue a legal opinion on the environmental authorisations needed for sea transportation of hazardous products.
- Assisted Katrium, a potash producer in Latin America and supplier of chlorine for water treatment in the state of Rio de Janeiro, in a complex renewal procedure of the environmental license for its factory in Rio de Janeiro.
- Defending SINDICERV, the beer producers syndicate, in nearly 140 class actions filed by the State Prosecutor of Mato Grosso do Sul for the alleged failure to dispose of post-consumption packaging appropriately and for not implementing the state’s reverse logistics system.
Exclusively dedicated to environmental law, Milaré Advogados is well versed across the full spectrum of environmental litigation, administrative law and regulatory matters. The firm is particularly strong in representing clients in administrative and court proceedings involving environmental disputes, but also advises on environmental licensing issues, especially those pertaining to infrastructure and forestry projects. Its client roster is made up of domestic and international companies operating in environmentally sensitive industries, including agribusiness, construction, energy and pharmaceuticals. Managing partner and former environmental prosecutor Édis Milaré is one of the main points of contact in the team. Other noteworthy practitioners in the specialised team include Roberta Jardim de Morais, Priscila Santos Artigas, Rita Maria Borges Franco and Juliana Flávia Mattei.
The highly specialised environmental law practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados provides comprehensive advice to its corporate client base based in Brazil and abroad, but is perhaps best known for its involvement in high-profile environmental litigation, involving contamination issues, licensing matters, regulations and tailings dam-related incidents (among others). In addition to administrative and judicial proceedings, the team also excels in crisis management, regulatory matters, sustainability issues and environmental due diligence in the context of corporate transactions. Of particular note, the team has been collaborating with the infrastructure, banking and capital markets groups to advise clients on ESG issues and green financing deals. Antonio José Monteiro is a key practitioner, whose areas of activity include acting for companies from the agribusiness and biotech sectors before environmental agencies. Contentious matters involving the infrastructure and agribusiness industries are key specialisms for Werner Grau Neto, who is proficient in environmental consulting and litigation. Alexandre Outeda Jorge is noted for his experience in mandates involving class actions and occupational health, while Andre Vivan de Souza is recommended for environmental licensing, waste management and forestry matters.
‘Excellent, very experienced team with smart lawyers on all levels of seniority. Doing a great job in handling a very complex matter with a plethora of workstreams and different tasks. Alexandre Outeda Jorge is very responsive and delivers outstanding quality.’
‘One of the largest full-service firms in the country. I appreciate the fact that they are accessible people, who understand the corporate side of companies when it comes to risk analysis and decision-making. The partner who works with us, Alexandre Jorge, is an extremely qualified and skilled professional.’
‘I have been working with Pinheiro Neto for over 15 years, with Werner Grau Neto’s team, and I do not know another lawyer as brilliant as he is in environmental matters. There are excellent lawyers in the market, very qualified, engaged, partners and who deliver excellent results. But Werner is different. He is bold, very technical and experienced in many work fronts, and surrounds himself with excellent professionals.’
‘Werner Grau is an excellent lawyer and partner with clients. Experienced in different segments, they are always ready to support you with qualified opinions.’
‘Andre Vivan de Souza stands out for his technical knowledge, availability and negotiation skills.’
Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
Coca-Cola FEMSA Brasil
CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo
Companhia de Concessões Rodoviárias – CCR
- Continues to represent BHP Billiton in multiple collective and individual lawsuits related to Samarco’s dam failure and negotiations with federal and state prosecutors, Vale, environmental authorities and other stakeholders.
- Representing multiple companies in environmental litigation concerning waste disposal by Companhia Brasileira de Bauxita – Usina de Passivos Ambientais – CBB/USPAM.
- Assists Coalizão Embalagens (a coalition of 14 industry/commerce associations) in the engagement with federal and state authorities to establish the legal framework and instruments for implementation of packaging take back systems.
Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados
Combining strong litigation capabilities with thorough environmental law knowledge, Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados is a go-to destination for clients facing an environmental crisis. Dam security is an area of strength for the team, which acted for mining company Vale concerning the collapse of the Brumadinho and Mariana dams. In addition to its work in crisis management and preventive advice, the firm's practitioners also excel in administrative and judicial proceedings, and ESG issues. Clients operating in highly regulated industries, including power, oil and gas, mining, infrastructure and paper and pulp, regularly turn to the team for advice on an array of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. Environmental law expert Oscar Graça Couto has more than 30 years of experience in the field; he specialises in preventive counselling and litigation. Guilherme Leal is proficient in energy and environmental matters, while Alexandre Abby has a strong track record in environmental lawsuits.
Oscar Graça Couto; Guilherme Leal; Alexandre Abby
‘Graça Couto Advogados’ team has a distinct ability to employ sophisticated strategies for complex environmental issues in the energy sector. They excel in putting to the test and applying academic theory to market practice. They know the nuances and realities of the market they serve.’
‘The team has exceptional technical and legal knowledge of environmental law. Guilherme Leal possesses excellent technical knowledge and great experience in the functioning of environmental agencies. Always offers good insights.’
‘The quality of the service provided by the Graça Couto office is unparalleled. Lawyers are extremely competent and helpful. Oscar Graça Couto distinguishes himself from others in the market. He knows a lot about law in general, especially environmental.’
‘Expertise in environmental regulation, good knowledge of environmental agencies and interest in getting to know clients’ business. Guilherme Leal has great technical knowledge, availability, agility and concern for the client’s business.’
‘Guilherme Leal and Mariana Fernandes Miranda: technical knowledge, availability, agility and concern for the client’s business. Oscar Graça Couto: remarkable technical knowledge, availability, strategic thinking and risk assessment.’
EDF En do Brasil
- Defending Vale in environmental fines imposed by IBAMA due to the Brumadinho dam collapse in the state of Minas Gerais.
- Defending Petro Rio Jaguar Petróleo in a judicial claim related to the largest environmental accident in the history of Piauí.
- Acts for Petro Rio Jaguar Petróleo in a judicial claim related to the alleged pollution and environmental damages caused to local fishermen by an oil spill in the trade oil field.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados is engaged by clients from the infrastructure, logistics, chemicals, real estate, agribusiness, steel, mining and pharmaceutical industries (among others) in the entire spectrum of environmental mandates. The department regularly assists with risk assessment and management of environmental liabilities in the context of corporate, finance and capital markets transactions, project development and compliance matters. Crisis management is another key area of practice, and is a core specialism for Roberta Danelon Leonhardt, who leads the team and handles a range of environmental law matters, including climate change, green finance and ESG issues. On the contentious front, the practice also showcases strength in environmental litigation both at the administrative and judicial levels. Eduardo de Campos Ferreira is a name to note for environmental claims. Carolina de Almeida Castelo Branco is well versed in compliance issues, transactions and litigation.
Roberta Danelon Leonhardt
‘They combine the client’s interests and priorities with a love for the environment. Focused on ESG. Roberta Leonhardt and Carolina de Almeida Castelo Branco both have technical knowledge and are attentive to the client’s needs and priorities.’
‘The firm has unquestionable expertise in negotiating relevant environmental agreements. Roberta Leonhardt, Eduardo Ferreira and Carolina de Almeida Castelo Branco provide impeccable service especially with regard to customer service.’
‘A team with an excellent knowledge base in the field and with different behavioural profiles, necessary for clients’ diverse needs. The ability to respond immediately to urgent and critical demands is impressive. All are excellent professionals, but I would highlight Roberta Leonhardt, Carolina de Almeida Castelo Branco and Eduardo Ferreira.’
Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais – Usiminas
BrasilAgro – Companhia Brasileira de Propriedades Agrícolas
Companhia Auxiliar de Armazéns Gerais – Copersucar
Hidrovias do Brasil
NTS – Nova Transportadora do Sudeste
Huawei do Brasil Telecomunicações
Wacker Química do Brasil
- Assisting Samarco Mineração with crisis management in relation to the dam collapse incident in Mariana.
- Represents VCNNE in a public civil action filed against the client and others to suspend activities of the Pedra do Cavalo Hydroelectric power plant due to alleged environmental damages deriving from construction and operational issues.
- Representing AMATA in a public civil action related to the second stage of Operation Arquimedes, by means of which 60 companies are being investigated due to alleged irregularities in exploring and exporting wood from the Amazon.
The sizeable environmental team at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados regularly acts for clients from highly regulated industries in administrative and judicial litigation, and negotiations with regulatory agencies. Showcasing extensive experience in brownfield and contaminated sites, the department is also well positioned to advise on M&A transactions with environmental implications, green bonds and renewable energy projects. Typical mandates concern environmental licensing, forest litigation, solid waste management and sustainability issues. Lina Pimentel Garcia, who has significant experience in contamination matters, corporate liabilities and climate change, is a key individual in the department. Other noteworthy practitioners include Antonio Augusto Reis, who focuses on non-contentious environmental mandates (M&A transactions, project structuring and environmental licensing), and Rômulo Sampaio, who regularly represents clients in environmental lawsuits before state, federal and superior courts.
‘Excellent relationship with clients, agility, technique and organisation. Lina Pimentel Garcia possesses excellent communication skills and provides clients with creative solutions. Rômulo Sampaio has excellent negotiation skills and great strategic thinking. He was instrumental in solving one of the company’s most complex cases.’
‘The firm has always been highly regarded in environmental matters and my experience with Lina Pimentel Garcia and her team has always been very positive. I’ve been working with Romulo Sampaio for a long time and every year his work gains quality. I trust his opinions and judgement.’
‘Excellent team, friendly, efficient and knowledgeable.’
The Environment team, coordinated by Rômulo Sampaio, is made up of competent professionals who are easily accessible. Rômulo is extremely available and has an exceptional knowledge of environmental law. His expertise, both practical and academic, is extremely high.’
‘Antônio Reis is business oriented, and makes extremely important contributions to the cases, especially in the construction of legal strategies.’
‘Solid partnership in matters relating to remediation matters. Whenever requested, they answer quickly or make themselves available. Lina Pimentel Garcia stands out for her knowledge and engagement.’
‘It is the largest environmental team in the country with nationally and internationally recognised partners in this area. Antonio Reis, Romulo Sampaio and Lina Pimentel are diligent professionals, with innovative solutions and recognised performance in the academic field.’
BRK Ambiental Participações
Instituto Ekos – Compromisso com o Clima
EDF Norte Fluminense
Norsk Hydro Brazil
Philips do Brasil
- Acts for Hydro and its subsidiary in the state of Pará, Alunorte, in several lawsuits filed by individual residents of the city of Barcarena and neighboring cities claiming health problems connected to an alleged discharge of untreated water into a local river.
- Assists BRK Ambiental in administrative proceedings regarding infraction notices issued by environmental agencies due to common aspects of the operation of basic sanitation systems.
- Represents Raízen in judicial and administrative matters comprising administrative proceedings, civil inquiries and lawsuits related to the environmental aspects of its activities in the sugarcane ethanol production and fuel distribution sectors.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados is sought after by domestic and foreign corporations in high-stakes environmental litigation, crisis management and negotiations with regulatory agencies. The team has seen recent growth in mandates involving climate change, energy transition, decarbonisation and ESG matters, and is routinely engaged by clients in relation to the development of sustainable energy projects and compliance issues. Environmental matters involving waste management, contaminated sites and liability risk assessment also feature in the team’s workload. Luiz Gustavo Bezerra is noted for his strong track record in environmental dispute resolution. Gedham Gomes is seasoned in compliance matters and environmental risk assessment across a range of sectors, notably energy and infrastructure. Since publication, the practice saw the departure of Paulo de Bessa Antunes and Vilmar Gonçalves, in October 2021.
Luiz Gustavo Bezerra
‘The firm demonstrates notable experience in environmental law and advises on negotiations with environmental agencies and the Public Ministry. They know the reality of the market in which they operate and their professionals (partners and associates) are very available and provide intelligent and “business-oriented” solutions.’
‘Luiz Gustavo Bezerra and Gedham Gomes are recommended.’
‘A very attentive team that is skilled at analysing the details of each case and proposing strategic solutions, anticipating all possible problems. They respond within deadlines.’
‘Luis Gustavo Bezerra is always available. Gedham Medeiros Gomes is extremely helpful and knowledgeable of cases.’
‘The service provided was of excellent quality and met our expectations.’
Tereos Sugar & Energy Brazil
- Assisting Cladtek in the environmental legal aspects related to the migration of its facility from Itaguaí to Santa Cruz, in Rio de Janeiro.
- Advised Raízen Combustíveis on the renewal of an operating license for their fuel distribution terminal located in Uberlândia, state of Minas Gerais.
- Provided legal assistance to Rosneft Brasil in the submission of the revision of the Degraded Area Recovery Plan (PRAD) for 23 areas explored by the company before the competent environmental agency.
The environmental law, climate change and forestry practice at TozziniFreire Advogados handles the gamut of matters, including project development, environmental licensing, and the analysis of risks in connection with financing and corporate transactions and contractual clauses. The team is also a solid performer in contentious environmental matters, representing clients from highly regulated industries in administrative and judicial proceedings. The firm has recently launched an ESG group, which brings together professionals with significant experience in compliance, sustainability, and green and social finance. Devoted to environmental law, Adriana Mathias Baptista is a key contact for environment risk assessments in the context of M&A deals and environmentally sensitive projects, and Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli has expertise in contaminated sites, forestry projects and brownfield projects. Danilo Lambert Vieira de Sousa, who is proficient in environmental licensing, litigation, administrative and regulatory matters, is also active in the department.
Adriana Mathias Baptista; Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli
‘The firm’s environmental area stands out not only for its knowledge/technique but also for its involvement, quality and excellence in delivering work to the client. Adriana Mathias Baptista does a wonderful job.’
‘The dedication and availability of the professionals who serve us is a great differential, in addition to the high level of technical and practical knowledge brought by their vast experience.’
‘Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli stands out for her dedication and availability.’
‘Adriana Mathias Baptista is very professional and knowledgeable.’
TAG Transportadora Associada de Gás
- Provided legal assistance to Sitawi Finanças do Bem, a local NGO, to structure the first crowd-lending platform to finance social and environmental impact businesses.
- Conducting CEBDS’s litigation strategy, as amicus curiae, at the Supreme Federal Court for the constitutionality control of the government’s omission and violation on the implementation of Brazil’s Climate Fund.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
With particular experience in the management of contaminated sites, Trench Rossi Watanabe is noted for its ability to provide nationwide environmental law support. The environment and sustainability group not only acts for clients in class actions and high-stakes lawsuits, but is also equipped to provide support in relation to licensing matters, solid waste, biodiversity, air emissions, climate change and ESG issues. The practice is under the leadership of Renata Amaral, who has comprehensive knowledge of environmental crisis management, the purchase and sale of carbon credits, and environmental litigation at the judicial and administrative levels, and Giovani Tomasoni, a key contact for environmental compliance, sustainability and ESG issues. Consultant Walter Hellmeister Junior and senior associate Manuela Demarche are other names to note for climate change matters and environmental law.
Renata Amaral; Giovani Tomasoni
‘Excellent technical quality. Active collaboration and development of matters in a clear, objective way.’
‘Renata Amaral and Giovani Tomasoni’s team is exceptional. In addition to their excellent technical capacity, in-depth knowledge of the environment and related issues, they are attuned to issues on various fronts, such as court decisions and legislative innovations. One of the highlights of this team is anticipating trends for the client. They are extremely dedicated and committed.’
‘Renata Amaral needs no introduction and is already recognised in the market. I also highlight the performance of recent partner Giovani Tomasoni and associate Manuela Demarche.’
‘The great highlight, in my opinion, is the leadership of Renata Amaral. In addition to her vast knowledge of the area of expertise, she makes fundamental proactive decisions and takes action on behalf of her clients.’
‘TRW’s environmental area is made up of a highly efficient, committed, proactive and qualified team. Renata Amaral, Giovani Tomasoni and Manuela Demarche are exceptional.’
‘TRW Advogados’ experience in the most diverse environmental matters, the solid technical knowledge offered and their commercial vision, make it a market leader. Renata Amaral has experience in projects and disputes of great complexity and exposure.’
‘Practical, well-founded legal advice with an adequate analysis of the risks involved. Warmth and speed in responding to clients.’
‘Giovani Tomasoni, Renata Amaral and Manuela Demarche are distinguished professionals, who master the knowledge of their area of expertise. They are very friendly, available and satisfactorily meet all the client’s needs.’
- Assists Shell Brasil Petróleo in all the fines, lawsuits and licensing proceedings of its major oil platforms, ranging from preventive measures, to pre-litigation measures and defense against administrative fines.
- Assisting Buritirama in several civil inquires and other investigations initiated by the Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPF/PA) about the regularity of mining activities, compliance with human rights rules and impacts on the local communities and environment.
- Providing all of the legal assistance to AT Kearney in connection with their technical work within a class action that investigates the dam rupture in 2015 that occurred in Mariana, Minas Gerais.
Bichara Advogados is particularly active assisting clients from highly regulated industries with environmental licensing, class actions and administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies. Recently, the department has noted an uptick in mandates pertaining to environmental risk assessment, compliance and ESG-related issues. Leading the practice, Luciana Gil Ferreira is regularly sought by companies operating in the infrastructure, construction and energy sectors facing environmental challenges. Patrícia Mendanha Dias focuses on environmental licenses and analyses of environmental risks and liabilities.
Luciana Gil Ferreira
PGS Investigação Petrolífera
Brookfield Brasil Timber
- Represents Votorantim Cimentos in a class action filed by more than 10,000 fishermen claiming damages as a result of the construction and operation of a hydroelectric power plant in Paraguaçu river.
- Represents SALINOR and the SIESAL in judicial claims requesting the removal of saline structures and declaration of nullity of the Federal Decree allowing the continuity of activities.
- Assists MRS Logística in all administrative and judicial environmental issues, including a judicial claim involving 45 environmental acts of infraction issued by the municipality of Mangaratiba, Rio de Janeiro.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão brings together cross-practice expertise, covering M&A, tax, compliance and dispute resolution, to assist clients from a variety of industries facing environmental challenges. Its recent work illustrates the team's strength in environmental licensing, regulatory enforcement proceedings, contaminated sites and waste management. Advising on the implementation of business practices in compliance with ESG standards is also an area of expertise for the environmental team. Climate change and sustainability expert Marcio Pereira is regularly retained by energy, infrastructure and transport clients. He leads the practice with Beatriz Paulo de Frontin, who regularly acts for domestic and foreign companies in administrative and judicial litigation. Marina Maciel is also part of the core team; she excels in environmental licensing.
Marcio Pereira; Beatriz Paulo de Frontin
‘Excellent service. Márcio Pereira is phenomenal. He stands out for his versatility, deep knowledge of the subject and clients’ business.’
‘BMA’s environmental team provides an excellent service and has a very close relationship to the client. I can attest that, in addition to the delivery of high technical quality, the firm is always available for immediate assistance on the issues that arise, regardless of day or time. Finally, the experience of all the team members in the environmental area also gives us the assurance that the matter will be understood (regardless of complexity) and the final product will be delivered with the analyses of all requested points.’
‘I highlight Márcio Pereira, who is a true partner of our company and is always available to move his entire team to support us in the best possible way. In addition, I would also like to highlight Beatriz Paulo de Frontin, who is technically impeccable and always contributes positively in the meetings in which she participates, not limiting her inputs to legal issues, but to guidelines that have a broader look at the situation.’
Abengoa Concessões Brasil Holding
São Gonçalo Energia e Gás Renovável
Ciclus Ambiental do Brasil
Ventos de Santo Artur Energias Renováveis
Lactalis do Brasil – Comércio, Importação e Exportação de Laticínios
New Hope Ecotech
PQ Silicas Brasil
- Representing Vale in all actions, procedures and agreements aiming at the environmental remediation of the area affected by the dam collapse in Brumadinho, and in the execution of a comprehensive repair plan.
- Providing legal advice to Abengoa Concessões Brasil Holding on the disinvestment and decommissioning of several transmissions lines, under different stages of environmental licensing proceedings.
- Represents Ciclus, the concessionaire responsible for the final disposal of the waste generated in the municipality of Rio de Janeiro, in three public civil actions.
The environment, sustainability and waste practice at Felsberg Advogados stands out for its specialist knowledge of solid waste disposal matters and reverse logistic plans. The team is a go-to destination for clients from the pharmaceutical, chemical, electric and electronic equipment industries seeking advice in relation to non-contentious matters and litigation. Areas of strength include assisting with the negotiation of product take-back agreements and sector-related class actions. Fabricio Soler, who specialises in waste management matters, oversees the group, which has been increasingly active advising on land contamination cases involving multiple stakeholders. Tasso Cipriano - who made partner in January 2022 - is another name to note in the team; he is experienced in site contamination and waste management matters.
‘The excellent quality of legal advice provided by Fabricio Soler and his team regarding the legal and technical aspects of waste management, urban environment and sustainability make the firm stand out.’
‘Fabricio Soler and Tasso Cipriano are excellent.’
‘Firm with recognised expertise in solid waste management.’
‘Personalised service by the environmental area. Fabricio Soler is accessible. He leads the team that is very knowledgeable.’
ABREE – Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
ELETROS – Associação Nacional de Fabricantes de Produtos Eletroeletrônicos
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Brother International Corporation do Brasil
Ingram Micro do Brasil
Ypê (Química Amparo)
- Advises ELETROS, the National Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE) Manufacturers Association, in relation to consulting and litigation matters on waste regulations.
- Advises the Brazilian Association of the Personal Hygiene, Perfumery and Cosmetics Industries on its packaging take-back programme.
- Represents SELURB, ABLP and ABETRE, three of the most important associations in the waste management sector, before the Supreme Federal Court in a matter which discusses the financing of sanitation and waste management services.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados offers environmental law support to a varied client roster, which includes companies from the energy, telecoms, oil and gas, transport, real estate and construction sectors. Simone Paschoal Nogueira, who has more than two decades' experience in environmental law, energy and infrastructure matters, oversees the department, which is equipped to advise on a range of environmental mandates, including judicial litigation, proceedings before regulatory agencies and environmental licensing matters. Marina Vieira Freire Colósio is a name to note for environmental litigation.
Simone Paschoal Nogueira
‘The partners are directly involved in matters and have extensive experience and knowledge of the topic. They are always willing to go deeper into the topic provide clear definitions of the next steps, consequences and possibilities. Marina Vieira Freire Colósio is recommended.’
‘Siqueira Castro’s team has been working with us in environmental licensing for seven years. This is a sensitive topic for our business and we build trust with the firm. I emphasise the national presence, the proximity of lawyers in the area and the understanding they have of our market. Simone Paschoal and Marina Vieira Freire are our main contacts.’
‘Technical team, well-founded guidelines, accessible vocabulary.’
‘Simone Paschoal is very technical, professional, well prepared and provides innovative solutions.’
Localiza Rent a Car
DP World Santos
White Martins Gases Industriais
SBA Communications Corporation
- Provides legal strategic advice to TIM in relation to the environmental licensing process for the implementation and operation of telecom towers and biosites in the Central-West region of Brazil.
- Acts for BRK in environmental proceedings before the State Public Prosecutor, environmental agencies and municipalities, regarding water supply systems and sewage treatment.
- Assists Cataratas in a licensing matter for the importation of animals from South Africa to the Rio de Janeiro Zoo BioParque.
Standing out for its in-depth knowledge of ESG issues, Veirano Advogados is seen with great regularity advising clients from the chemicals, infrastructure, mining, pharmaceutical, automotive, financial services, energy and construction sectors in relation to the environmental licensing of projects and environmental liabilities arising from corporate transactions. Mandates involving solid waste and wastewater management are strong points for the department, which is also well versed in contamination issues, protected areas, and noise and air pollution. Luis Felipe Andrade leads the practice; his main areas of activity include environmental, health and disaster-related crisis management. In significant developments, former co-practice head Ana Luci Grizzi left the firm in June 2021, and Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev joined the firm – from Pinheiro Neto Advogados – in August 2021.
Luis Felipe Andrade; Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev
‘The Environmental Law team at Veirano Advogados stands out, not only for its excellent technical knowledge, but also for its engagement in matters. In addition, they have excellent communication skills.’
‘Robust team in environmental law. They manage to give me complete security in the debates and opinions presented. Luis Felipe Andrade is recommended.’
Hidrovias do Brasil
- Assisting GE Power in pre-litigation consultancy regarding a relevant environmental class action regarding a contaminated area.
- Assisting Instituto Escolhas, a well-recognised NGO, in drafting proposals of regulations for the Central Bank of Brazil and CVM to provide that distributors of titles and securities must ensure that all gold purchased is extracted in full compliance with environmental laws.
- Assisting Kinea, a real estate investment company from the Itaú Group, in managing protected forest areas and obtaining applicable environmental permits of newly acquired assets.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados is regularly called upon by clients from a variety of industries to act in judicial and administrative litigation involving environmental issues. Additionally, the practice is well versed in environmental licensing, reverse logistics, due diligence and risk allocation in the context of M&A deals. Department leader Renata Castanho is regularly retained by automotive, agribusiness, mining, construction and energy clients in relation to negotiations with environmental agencies and civil class actions. Amália Simões Botter Fabbri is a name to note for matters pertaining to environmental licensing, waste management, contaminated sites and climate change, while Carina Pereira Cancela is a contact for environmental risk assessments of infrastructure projects and forestry regulations.
‘Lobo de Rizzo’s professionals are experts in environmental Law and liabilities. I would highlight Renata Castanho and Amália Simões Botter Fabbri in particular.’
Volkswagen do Brasil – Indústria de Veículos Automotores
Mosaic Fertilizantes do Brasil
USIMINAS – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais
ABAL – Associação Brasileira de Alumínio
Renova Tratamento de Resíduos
IFF – International Flavours and Fragrances
- Assisted Brennand Energia in four civil public actions related to regulatory issues involving the Small Hydroelectric Plants (PCHs) in Mato Grosso and Mato Grosso do Sul States.
- Assisted YDUQS in the environmental legal due diligence for the acquisition of the Adtalem operations in Brazil.
- Advised Volkswagen on the structuring and implementation of its reverse logistics system plan.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
Based in Belo Horizonte, Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados advises clients operating in environmentally sensitive industries, such as mining, steel, infrastructure, chemicals and real estate, on a range of transactional work, regulatory enforcement and litigation mandates. Environmental due diligence and management of risk in the context of M&A and financing deals feature in the team's workload, which also includes environmental licensing of projects. Thiago Pastor has extensive experience in climate change, biodiversity, solid waste management and forestry issues. Ana Leticia Lanzoni Moura is a key contact for regulatory issues and mining disputes.
‘Provides customised solutions for the client. Thiago Pastor and Ana Leticia Lanzoni Moura are recommended.’
Kinross Brasil Mineração
FCA – Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
ADM do Brasil
ICAL Indústria de Calcinação
- Advising Coca-Cola Femsa on the installation and operation of a new industrial plant for the manufacturing of beverages.
- Representing Kinross in the negotiations with the Public Prosecutor of Minas Gerais concerning the execution of an adjustment deal seeking the regularisation of its activities of gold mineral exploration at Paracatu.
- Acting for Bunge Brasil in a civil action concerning environmental regulations and notices of infraction.
The environment and sustainability team at Souto Correa Advogados has a broad service offering in the field of environmental law, covering both non-contentious matters and litigation. Clients from the real estate, energy, chemicals, forestry and pulp and paper industries turn to the Porto Alegre-based team for assistance with environmental licensing, due diligence in the context of M&A transactions, and administrative proceedings. Department head Fabiana Figueiró, who often acts for clients in environmental litigation, is particularly knowledgeable in reverse logistics, contaminated sites and protected areas. Juliana Pretto Stangherlin is a counsel of choice for forestry and energy clients in relation to compliance matters.
‘Very personalised service. I highlight the work done by Juliana Pretto Stangherlin.’
Concremat Engenharia e Tecnologia
Timac Agro Brasil
Irani Papel e Embalagem
Phillip Morris Brasil
Enel Distribuição São Paulo
Santos Brasil Participações
Latam Airlines Brazil
- Advising Concremat Engenharia e Tecnologia (China Comunication Construction) on the elaboration of the legal aspects of the Basic Sanitation Plan of the state of Rio Grande do Sul.
- Assists Philip Morris in several environmental issues, including matters related to waste management.
- Advised Oleoplan during the negotiation of an investment of R$475m related to the acquisition of 20% of the shares of FASA América Latina Participações Societárias.
Stocche Forbes Advogados stands out for its wealth of experience in emerging environmental disciplines, including sustainable financing, ESG investing and climate change. The latter is a core area of expertise for department head Caroline Dihl Prolo, who is routinely engaged by companies, financial institutions, carbon market players, and governmental organisations looking for legal support in relation to domestic and international regulatory trends, climate risk management and disclosures. The group often acts in collaboration with the banking, capital markets and infrastructure teams, advising on the environmental aspects of transactions. Other routine instructions include assisting with the environmental licensing of renewable energy projects at the federal, state and municipal levels.
Caroline Dihl Prolo
‘The team is already well known for its quality in environmental matters. It stands out for its technique and availability. Caroline Dihl Prolo is excellent and efficient.’
‘Vast and multidisciplinary technical knowledge.’
EDF Norte Fluminense
Terra Santa Agro
Instituto Clima e Sociedade
- Provided legal advice to the Partnership for Market Readiness project, an initiative led by the World Bank in cooperation with the Ministry of Economy in Brazil, to study alternatives in terms of carbon pricing across all sectors of the Brazilian economy.
- Assisted Interamerican Development Bank (IDB) in the analysis of trends and opportunities related to green bonds in Brazil.
- Representing Votorantim Siderúrgica in a Public Class Action filed by the Public Prosecutor’s Office in the state of Paraná for the cleanup and compensation of environmental damages.
Almeida Advogados is proficient across a range of environmental law matters, and has particular experience advising on administrative proceedings, public civil actions and environmental licensing. The team has witnessed a recent change in leadership: the recently promoted Guilherme Doval, who has a strong background in the mining sector, is now overseeing the environmental group, which possesses comprehensive knowledge of reverse logistics and waste management mandates. Igor Luna is also active in environmental matters, most notably administrative litigation.
‘The law firm has a number of partners and associates able to provide quality services in various areas of law. They have strong internal procedures and individual values. Igor Luna is our current partner. His work stands out from the rest for its quality, resilience and strong belief in agile work methodologies.’
‘It is extremely dedicated and interested in getting to know our business in detail. They are always ready to assist, including in emergencies that often happen on weekends. The ease of contacting lawyers at any time and day, combined with a deep knowledge of our business and needs, make Almeida Advogados our best and greatest partner.’
‘They are agile, objective and have a commercial language like few firms. Igor Luna has great skills in handling the challenges presented by the corporate world. Simple, commercial, accessible language.’
‘The professionals are specialists in the subjects and demonstrate their competences by conducting the processes in a clear and objective way. Igor Luna provides adequate support in a quick, clear and assertive manner, making us feel secure and confident.’
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
BRK Ambiental Participações
Blaser Swisslube do Brasil
Instituto Nacional das Empresas de Preparação de Sucata não Ferrosa e Aço – INESFA
Companhia Fabril Mascarenhas
Bom Negócio Atividades de Internet
Haztec Tecnologia e Panejamento Ambiental
- Acted for Stericycle Gestão Ambiental in the filing of a lawsuit to allow the client to receive toxic waste at its unit in the Federal District.
- Representing BRK Ambiental in a public civil action filed by the Brazilian Bar Association – Tocantins subsection for the payment of compensation for the leakage of raw sewage in the city of Palmas.
- Acting for Alesat Combustíveis in a remediation matter.
Azevedo Sette Advogados offers legal support to large international and domestic companies across a variety of sectors, including mining, energy, infrastructure, agriculture and forestry, among others. Its broad service offering covers advisory and litigation matters involving environmental regulations, compliance, licensing issues and due diligence in the context of transactions and project development. Department head Leonardo Pereira Lamego has longstanding experience in mining and environmental law. He is based in Belo Horizonte, and assists clients engaged in environmental litigation. Other key individuals in the environmental group include the 'exceptional' Svetlana Maria de Miranda and Cynthia de Souza Cardoso, who has significant expertise in energy-related matters.
Leonardo Pereira Lamego
‘Differentiated expertise on the subject, especially on the environmental legislation of Minas Gerais. Institutional relationship with regulatory bodies in the state of Minas Gerais. Svetlana Maria de Miranda is exceptional. Technical knowledge and agility in finding solutions.’
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Tate and Lyle
- Assisted Vale in a case which involved the negotiations of a comprehensive environmental settlement agreement regarding the tailings dam collapse in Brumadinho.
- Assisting and defending Samarco in lawsuits involving fines applied by IBAMA (Federal Environmental Agency) regarding the tailings dam collapse in Mariana/MG in 2015.
- Providing legal assistance to CBA to implement an environmentally protected area in the state of Goiás.
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper is adept in a broad array of non-contentious and contentious environmental matters, including administrative proceedings, environmental risk assessments, crisis management, licensing matters and due diligence in relation to transactions. Rafael Jordão Bussière is now coordinating the department following the departure of former practice head Theo Keiserman de Abreu. Gabriela de Carvalho e Mello often advises clients in the energy, infrastructure, logistics, real estate and pharmaceutical industries on environmental liabilities and administrative law. Since publication, the firm added Paulo de Bessa Antunes and Vilmar Gonçalves to its environment and ESG practice; the partners joined in October 2021 from Tauil & Chequer Advogados.
Rafael Jordão Bussière
Grupo Big Brasil
3R Petroleum Óleo e Gás
- Representing Votorantim Cimentos in several lawsuits and administrative proceedings.
- Representing Grupo Big in all environmental lawsuits and administrative proceedings.
- Advising 3R Petroleum Óleo e Gás on the acquisition of several fields by 3R (Macau, Recôncavo, Pescada-Arabaiana, Fazenda Belém and Rio Ventura), in connection to the divestment of Petrobras.
Cescon Barrieu is rated for its ability to advise domestic and international clients on environmentally sensitive M&A deals, capital markets and financing transactions, licensing procedures and environmental litigation. Key players in the oil and gas, mining, agribusiness, infrastructure and construction industries instruct the team on an array of advisory and contentious matters, including cases before regulatory agencies and the judiciary. The team is jointly led by three practitioners: mining experts Marcelo Mendo and Maurício Pellegrino de Souza, who are based in Belo Horizonte, and Rebeca Stefanini Pavlovsky in São Paulo, who excels in due diligence and environmental disputes.
Marcelo Mendo; Maurício Pellegrino de Souza; Rebeca Stefanini Pavlovsky
‘Cescon Barrieu’s team is able to understand exactly the client’s needs. In the Environment team, Rebeca Stefanini Pavlowski was our main contact and guided us with incredible dedication.’
‘The practice offers personalised services. The lawyers respond to queries quickly and, when they are unable to meet the requested internal deadlines, they inform the company. I would also highlight their efficiency in proposing creative solutions to legal demands, always focused on resolving the case.’
‘Maurício Pellegrino de Souza is recommended.’
Plano & Plano Construções e Empreendimentos
Alfa Corretora de Câmbio e Valores Mobiliários
Ocean Pact Serviços Marítimos
Localiza Rent a Car and Locapar Participações e Administração
RUMO Logística, a member of COSAN Group
IMA Industria de Madeira Imunizada
Usina Açucareira Ester
- Advised ICL Group on the environmental aspects of the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Agro Fertilaquá Participações.
- Assisted Plano & Plano, a company that operates in the real estate development sector, with environmental due diligence in the context of its IPO.
- Advised Alfa Corretora de Câmbio e Valores Mobiliários, Banco BOCOM BBM and Bioenergética Aroeira on the first green bond issuance in the sugar-ethanol industry, certified by SITAWI, the largest certifier of sustainable financing in Latin America.
KLA Advogados handles a variety of environmental matters, with a particular emphasis on contaminated areas, protected areas and environmental licensing. The team has seen recent growth, with several new clients in the timber, forestry management and agribusiness sector seeking guidance in relation to regulatory matters, court litigation and administrative proceedings. The team is jointly led by Paulo Prado, whose experience includes representing clients before regulatory agencies, and Leticia Marques, who has a strong background in environmental regulation, biodiversity conservation and contaminated areas.
Paulo Prado; Leticia Marques
‘Leticia Marques is a committed professional, who is always up to date on environmental issues and attuned to the main relevant issues.’
‘The team is very helpful and efficient. It solves problems very quickly.’
‘The office keeps professionals always up to date and competent, with a modern and objective way of acting. It greatly facilitates communication and good results.’
‘I would like to highlight Leticia Marques. She is a very committed professional, available and quick to communicate and deliver results to the client.’
‘Dr. Leticia Marques, in particular, makes every effort to humanise the service and bring quick and efficient solutions to the process.’
‘Its members have solid legal training and vast experience in the areas in which they work.’
‘Leticia Marques has deep environmental legal knowledge, understands the client’s business and has great availability. Leticia is one of the young talents in Brazilian Environmental Law.’
Lefosse Advogados' environmental team was recently strengthened by the arrival of Guilherme d’Almeida Mota, who brought to the table a wealth of experience in administrative litigation, crisis management, public civil actions and other types of environment-related lawsuits. Mota is now overseeing the department, which is also proficient in due diligence procedures related to domestic and cross-border M&A and finance and capital markets transactions. He receives key support from Mariana Níquel, whose areas of expertise include contaminated areas and administrative and judicial litigation. Environmental licensing and ESG issues also feature in the practice's portfolio.
Guilherme d’Almeida Mota
‘Lefosse has been rendering high-quality legal services, but what differentiates them from their competitors is the involvement with their clients; they understand their business and their needs and that allows them to give the best advice and influence decision-making. In the environmental area, I would highlight the work of Guilherme Mota. Besides his technical knowledge, he is able to understand the company’s needs and provide the best legal solution.’
‘Guilherme Mota has extensive technical knowledge of environmental law.’
‘One of the elements that most caught my attention in the service at Lefosse is the integration of the areas, as they easily work together. Guilherme Mota is excellent and very dedicated.’
‘Services provided in an agile manner. Mariana Niquel is always very helpful, and has extensive experience in environmental matters.’
‘The firm has a lean but extremely qualified team, which is always available to support the client. In addition, the entire office team is bilingual, which facilitates interaction with the rest of the company, managing to deliver all work in English and Portuguese. The practice understands the urgency of the demands and has a unique response time to requests.’
The Nature Conservancy – TNC
InpEV – Instituto Nacional de Processamento de Embalagens Vazias
ADM do Brasil
- Acted as environmental counsel to Itaú BBA in the issuance of debentures of Iguá Saneamento.
- Advised Globenet on the licensing proceeding with IBAMA, the federal environmental agency, for the renewal of the client’s operating permit (subsea transmission cable).
- Assisted Coty Inc. in connection with the Brazilian law aspects of the sale of the Brazilian Professional and Retail Hair business, which includes Wella, Clairol, OPI and ghd brands to KKR.
With strong credentials in the public law field, Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados is adept at advising on the environmental aspects of projects in a range of sectors, including solid waste and sanitation. The team also assists privately held companies and public entities with regulatory matters and administrative law issues. Wladimir Antonio Ribeiro is the key contact for environmental law matters.
Wladimir Antonio Ribeiro
‘I’d highlight the technical capacity, the deep knowledge shown by the team and the availability to meet deadlines.’
‘We work with Wladimir Ribeiro, who stands out for his deep knowledge of issues related to the sanitation sector.’
Grupo Águas do Brasil
Águas de Jahu
EMBASA (Empresa Baiana de Águas e Saneamento)
FESP-SP (Fundação Escola de Sociologia e Política de São Paulo)
Fundace (Fundação para Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento da Administração, Contabilidade e Economia)
Caixa Econômica Federal
FNP (Frente Nacional de Prefeitos)
Grupo Marquise Ambiental
- Assisting Grupos Águas do Brasil in the bidding for the privatisation process of Casal – Companhia de Saneamento de Alagoas.
- Advised GS Inima on the bidding process of CAGECE.
- Advised FESP-SP (Fundação Escola de Sociologia e Política de São Paulo) on the drafting of the first ANA responsibility reference standard.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados is regularly called on by clients for assistance with contentious and non-contentious environmental matters; the firm's proven track record in environmental litigation involving licensing issues, oil spills, public civil actions, air pollution and tailings dam failures is a particular draw. The practice generally acts for clients operating in industrial sectors with a high environmental impact, including agribusiness, chemicals, steel production, mining and biotechnology. Practice head Anderson Moura has been increasingly active assisting financing institutions and infrastructure clients with environmental issues. Administrative proceedings are another strong point for the department.
‘The firm stands out for its ability to deal with complex issues in a pragmatic and practical way. They are not limited to theoretical knowledge. They can realistically assess risks and effectively propose solutions. The analyses and opinions have effectively contributed to our decision-making.’
‘I worked with Anderson Moura. He had very solid legal knowledge and extensive practical experience to offer realistic solutions to our cases. His opinions were always very well grounded and clear. He was able to offer solutions that we hadn’t yet found.’
‘VPBG has been serving us for some time in matters related to environmental law. What differentiates the firm from others is the service and know-how.’
‘Without a doubt, the highlight of VPBG is the service provided by Anderson Moura. He has a good legal background, clear and objective communication skills and an ability to understand technical environmental issues that allows the preparation of differentiated legal documents.’
‘VPBG’s lawyers seek to know and learn as much as possible about the problems related to the legal process in order to be able to weave the best procedural defence. Defences are very well founded, both on the legal side and on the technical side. I highlight Anderson Moura, who is the professional I have more contact with in legal matters.’
‘The environmental team works with a business vision, strategic mindset, technically supporting clients in the decision-making process. I recommend Anderson Moura, whose expertise and partnership has largely helped the activities developed by our company’s legal department in recent years.’
‘Availability, quick return and great technical knowledge. Anderson Moura is an excellent professional, who is respectful, attentive and committed to clients.’
Mosaic Fertilizantes P&K
Usiminas – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais