Boutique firm Milaré Advogados houses an ‘extremely specialised‘ and ‘highly prepared‘ team comprised of ‘professionals of different levels of seniority‘ with market-leading credentials in environmental law. Contentious matters, including judicial, administrative and criminal proceedings, are a strong suit for the group, which is also well placed to advise on an array of environmental consulting mandates, ranging from the licensing of infrastructure projects and land acquisitions to compliance and regulatory issues. A reference in the Brazilian market, Édis Milaré oversees the practice, which counts on the technical expertise of engineers, chemists and biologists to support household names operating in environmentally sensitive industries, including agribusiness, forestry and paper, infrastructure, real estate, energy, chemicals, mining and construction. Thiago Sales Pereira and Maria Clara Rodrigues Alves Gomes are the main points of contact for energy, mining and banking clients, while Rubens Silveira Neto is regularly retained by construction, engineering, gas and retail companies in non-contentious and litigious matters. Other noteworthy individuals include Lucas Milaré and Lupércio Alves Cruz de Carvalho, the latter of whom has a wealth of experience in environmental licensing and litigation. Roberta Jardim and Mayara Alves Bezerra are no longer at the firm.
Environment in Brazil
Édis Milaré; Lucas Milaré; Maria Clara Rodrigues Alves Gomes; Thiago Sales Pereira; Rubens Silveira Neto; Lupércio Alves Cruz de Carvalho
‘The team at Milaré Advogados is extremely specialised in environmental issues and allows for a precise analysis and understanding of the situation, and safe decision-making.’
‘Edis Milaré – absolutely the biggest reference in this sector. He is always focused on fully complying with legislation and solving situations.’
‘Édis Milaré – Due to his unparalleled knowledge, he is a reference in the environmental sector.’
‘Milaré Advogados’ team includes professionals of different levels of seniority, all highly prepared and with extensive experience in environmental consulting and litigation.’
- Representing Sena Construções in an environmental damages claim before the São Paulo State Court of Appeals.
- Advised Goodman Brasil on the environmental aspects of the acquisition of land in a municipality in Greater São Paulo for the development of a logistics project.
- Acted for Agricultural Cargo (AGROVIA) before the 1st Specialised Environmental Law Panel of the São Paulo State Court of Appeals in relation to an environmental fine.
With over four decades of experience in this space, Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a notable track record in representing market-leading clients from a range of industries in cutting-edge environmental matters, including litigation at the administrative and judicial levels. The firm houses a strong group of environmental law specialists who bring together expertise in issues as diverse as natural resources protection, conservation, biomass regulations, indigenous people’s rights, climate change, biodiversity and, most recently, environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG). With extensive experience in consulting and litigation issues, Werner Grau Neto is regularly engaged in mandates involving energy and mining companies, such as contamination and industrial pollution cases. Alexandre Outeda Jorge is the name to note for critical matters related to employee exposure to asbestos, mercury and cyanide, while Luis Celso Cecilio Leite Ribeiro focuses on multi-party cases and investigations. Environmental licensing and water management are core areas of activity for Andre Vivan de Souza. Paula Susanna Amaral Mello has recently been involved in the drafting of bills related to new sustainability and climate change projects. Senior associate Natalia Azevedo de Carvalho excels in circular economy initiatives and dam safety issues. Antonio José Monteiro left the firm in January 2023.
Chevron Oronite Brasil
Rio Paranapanema Energia (CTG)
Eternit and its company SAMA
- Acting for Vallourec Group in the aftermath of the rupture of the Cachoeirinha pile and overtopping of Lisa dike in Mina do Pau Branco, Brumadinho.
- Assisting Chevron Oronite Brasil in an indemnification case brought by the Public Prosecutor’s Office, which claims that companies located in a petrochemical hub in Mauá cause pollutant emissions responsible for a higher occurrence of thyroid diseases.
- Assisting EKKO Group in advisory and litigation matters involving the development of a luxury real estate project in the city of Osasco.
Clients operating in a host of industry sectors, including mining, forestry, agribusiness, banking, aviation, chemicals, energy, real estate and consumer goods, regularly seek Demarest Advogados‘ advice on the entire spectrum of environmental and ESG matters, ranging from sustainable investments to administrative and judicial proceedings. The team is well positioned to advise on the environmental implications of market-leading M&A and capital markets deals, but is also engaged in high-profile cases involving industrial landfill disputes, air and odour emissions, as well as environmental licensing, protected areas and indigenous peoples’ rights. On the advisory front, the group demonstrates extensive experience in emerging issues, such as carbon credits, reverse logistics and the circular economy. Luiz Sant’Anna, a leading lawyer in the environmental law sphere in Brazil, handles transactional, regulatory, administrative, judicial and criminal mandates, standing out for his knowledge of take-back systems and crisis management. Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo, who heads the firm’s ESG group, frequently advises on environmental licensing, climate change, carbon credits and liability issues. Senior associate Nicholas Krajnc, who joined from Vale in January 2023, is proficient in biodiversity, contaminated areas and waste management.
Luiz Sant’Anna; Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo
‘Professional competence; clarity in explanations and cordiality in client service.’
‘Constant search for innovation in the environmental area.’
‘Fernanda Stefanello stands out.’
‘I’d highlight Luiz Fernando Sant’Anna and Fernanda Stefanelo.’
‘The Demarest Advogados team has a deep knowledge of the environmental sector both at the Federal and State levels. Being a highly complex sector, the Demarest Advogados team provides a clear vision of delivering adequate solutions to the needs of its clients.’
‘Experienced team that meets deadlines.’
CGG do Brasil Participações
Murphy Brasil Exploração e Produção de Petróleo e Gás
Oaktree Capital Management
- Assisted JP Morgan with ESG compliance regulations, as well as all legal and regulatory requirements that a Brazilian financial institution of its calibre must follow.
- Assisted CGG in negotiations before Brazil’s Federal Environmental Agency regarding the innovative offshore seismic survey activities developed by the company at water basins in Espírito Santo and Maranhão.
- Providing joint support to Braskem, alongside Milaré Advogados, in discussions with environmental agencies and the public prosecutor’s office, which have been investigating the companies of the Capuava Petrochemical Complex in the ABC region of São Paulo.
Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados
The highly specialised team at Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados provides comprehensive environmental advice to a diverse client roster, comprised of heavyweights from the energy, mining, oil and gas, and pulp and paper industries, among others. Contentious matters – including administrative and civil litigation – are key to the firm’s service offering. Practitioners are also singled out for their crisis management credentials, having played a key advisory role in the context of two of Brazil’s largest environmental accidents, the collapse of the Brumadinho and Mariana dams. Climate change and ESG matters are growing areas of activity for the group, which has been increasingly engaged on the buying and selling of credits in the carbon market and on mandates involving the transition risks arising from new climate regulations in Brazil and abroad. Oscar Graça Couto is a preeminent figure for ESG issues and environmental litigation at the administrative and judicial levels. The latter area is a core specialism for Alexandre Abby, who has considerable experience in the negotiation of agreements between private and public stakeholders in the aftermath of major environmental incidents. Guilherme Leal, who oversees the climate change practice, has over two decades of experience in environmental law matters. Mariana Miranda, a contact for energy clients, and Nina Didonet are key associates in the group.
Oscar Graça Couto; Guilherme Leal; Alexandre Abby
‘Absolute excellence in the area of environmental law.’
‘Oscar Graca Couto stands out.’
‘The firm specialises in environmental law and strategic litigation, with the ability to serve clients very closely, with frontline partners interacting and seeking solutions together with the client, which is important in building a long-term partnership. The firm’s team is highly technical and has the flexibility to adapt to the client’s needs in terms of time and cost in relation to the legal services provided. It is able to serve multinational clients with their own dynamics when doing business in Brazil.’
Nova Transportadora Sudeste (NTS)
Companhia Portuária Baía de Sepetiba (CPBS)
- Represented Furnas in a lawsuit against the state of Mato Gross challenging the constitutionality of Law no. 11702., which ordered the company to carry out fish stocking activities in the hydroelectric power plant it operates in Chapada dos Guimarães e Nova Brasilândia.
- Retained by Vale to provide an analysis of the risks of climate change litigation in Brazil and opportunities in the growing carbon market.
- Acted for Rio Paraná and Rio Paranapanema Participações in the negotiations with the government and other companies for a package of actions to address the water and climate crises.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados houses a ‘highly skilled, accessible, up-to-date‘ environmental law team, which supports domestic and international clients in a host of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. Singled out for its experience in the structuring of complex M&A transactions, the team boasts a strong reputation for its expertise in identifying and managing environmental risks and liabilities on behalf of companies from the mining, steel, energy, agribusiness and forestry sectors. Climate change, biodiversity issues, green finance and crisis management are other specialisms for the team, which is under the leadership of environmental law specialist Roberta Danelon Leonhardt. Leonhardt is recommended for matters related to the implementation of projects and transactions, as well as complex litigation. Eduardo de Campos Ferreira excels in judicial and administrative proceedings, including claims before public bodies, environmental authorities and the Public Prosecutor’s Office. Senior associates Camila Argentino Silva Ribeiro Scopel, who is active in the infrastructure, chemicals, real estate, agribusiness and pharmaceuticals segments, and Thais Ferreira Moreno, who is particularly noted for her knowledge of ESG issues and climate change, offer key support in both advisory and contentious matters.
Roberta Danelon Leonhardt
‘The professionals have great technical knowledge, experience and commitment. Always available for assistance and problem-solving in the best possible way. Proactive team that meets deadlines.’
‘Roberta Danelon Leonhardt and Camila Argentino Silva Ribeiro Scopel are excellent professionals, with incredible technical knowledge, attitude and commitment.’
‘Highly skilled, accessible, up-to-date team focused on problem solving.’
‘Eduardo Ferreira is accessible and very good technically.’
‘Full-service firm with qualified professionals.’
‘Professionals with great legal expertise, helping the client make the most assertive decision for the business.’
‘Roberta Danelon and Eduardo Ferreira are recommended.’
CAPE Igarassu Indústria e Comércio de Produtos Químicos
Hines do Brasil Empreendimentos
Bompreço do Brasil Participações (Grupo BIG)
WMB Comércio Eletrônico
FOSNOR – Fosfatados do Norte-Nordeste
Casa dos Ventos Energias Renováveis
Anda Associação Nacional para Difusão de Adubos
Ferrero do Brasil Industria Doceira e Alimentar
ATVOS Agroindustrial Participações
Bollhoff Service Center
Huawei do Brasil Telecomunicações
SEW Eurodrive Brasil
Melitta do Brasil Indústria e Comércio
Aqua Capital Consultoria
Wacker Quimica do Brasil
Quatro Estações Investimentos & Incorporações
CBMM – Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração
Terminal Portuário Novo Remanso
- Participating in the Laboratory of Financial Innovation, a multisectoral forum created by the Brazilian Development Association, the Inter-American Development Bank and the Securities and Exchange Commission of Brazil, aiming to promote sustainable finance in Brazil.
- Advising BR Properties on environmental matters related to an enterprise in Cajamar embargoed due to alleged unauthorised suppression of vegetation and springs.
- Defending MASA in a class action filed by the Attorney General’s Office of the State of São Paulo (MPSP) involving an environmental license.
Bringing together strong capabilities in administrative and judicial litigation with in-depth knowledge of environmental regulations, Mattos Filho is well positioned to provide the full range of environmental advice to clients across the country. Showcasing extensive experience in issues ranging from climate change and solid waste to green bonds, brownfields and contaminated sites, the department is regularly seen acting for clients in M&A transactions with sensitive environmental implications. Typical instructions also include environmental permitting, agribusiness and forestry matters, and crisis management. The practice is jointly led by three partners: Antonio Augusto Reis, who frequently advises on the environmental aspects of projects, business and financing transactions; Lina Pimentel Garcia, a key contact for ESG issues and matters involving contaminated sites, licensing and solid waste; and Rômulo Sampaio, an ESG specialist who often assists with carbon markets, waste management and water resources-related mandates. At the associate level, Igor Lyra specialises in dispute resolution involving historical heritage and preservation, while Tábata Boccanera Guerra de Oliveira focuses on climate change issues, licensing processes and contaminated sites.
‘For environmental analyses, the systematisation of information is a differential, and the level of local knowledge of the Amazon region also sets the team apart.’
‘Antonio Augusto is a great professional, with vast knowledge of the area and quick feedback on topics.’
‘Mattos Filho is recognised as a reference in the environmental area in Brazil. Very competent partners.’
BRK Ambiental Participações
Cosan Lubrificantes e Especialidades (Cosan)
Norsk-Hydro Brasil (Hydro)
Alunorte Alumina do Norte do Brasil
Santo Antônio Energia
- Engaged to represent BHP in multiple environmental lawsuits involving the 2015 Fundão tailings dam burst.
- Assisting Norsk Hydro Brasil in a lawsuit filed in the Netherlands by Cainquiama concerning an alleged discharge of untreated water into a local river from Barcarena, the city where Alunorte’s factory is located.
- Assists Suzano in several consultations about climate change and defining its business strategy in relation to this subject.
The ‘highly qualified and experienced‘ team at Tauil & Chequer Advogados handles critical environmental matters for clients operating in a variety of industries, most notably power, chemicals, agribusiness, oil and gas, and mining. Its impressive portfolio features transactional, contentious and regulatory mandates, touching on issues as diverse as waste management, water resources, contaminated sites and protected areas. A strong performer in climate change matters, the team is a popular destination for large corporations seeking advice on greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction targets and net zero strategies; carbon credit project developers also recurrently turn to the group for assistance in risk management. Practice head Luiz Gustavo Bezerra, a specialist in international and EU environmental law based in Rio de Janeiro, often acts for clients in negotiations with governmental authorities, public prosecutors and other stakeholders. In the same office, recently promoted counsel Gedham Gomes is often retained by energy, infrastructure and agribusiness players in environmental compliance, risk assessment and carbon credit projects. Associate Victor Trevizan, who is based in São Paulo, focuses on pre-litigation and preventive consulting matters.
Luiz Gustavo Bezerra
‘The team has a high level of legal knowledge in the environmental area, and is able to provide effective and personalised solutions to clients. There is transparency regarding information and legal processes.’
‘The team is highly qualified, experienced, thinks critically and anticipates possible challenges. They work collaboratively, ethically and are committed to excellence, providing quality work with the aim of achieving the best results for clients.’
Forbes & Manhattan
Santo Antônio Energia
- Advising BNDES on the structuring of a first-of-its-kind concession for the development of carbon credit projects in public lands and conservation units.
- Defending EDF in a climate litigation lawsuit disputing the implementation of LNG-powered thermal power plants in Macaé, Rio de Janeiro.
- Representing Hydro in sensitive negotiations and several proceedings and cases involving Quilombola communities, Public Prosecutors and government stakeholders.
Singled out for its ‘broad technical knowledge‘, TozziniFreire Advogados ‘provides excellent services‘ in the field of environmental law, advising clients throughout all stages of environmental licensing, administrative proceedings, judicial litigation and project implementation. The group, which possesses a strong track record in climate change and carbon market-related matters, is retained in mandates across multiple environmentally sensitive industries, including real estate, agribusiness, infrastructure, energy and forestry. Other areas of expertise for the team include the identification of environmental risks in the context of corporate and financing transactions. The ‘brilliant‘ Adriana Mathias Baptista has devoted the past 25 years to environmental law, having advised on numerous high-stakes transactional and contentious matters. She oversees the practice with Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli, whose ‘technical knowledge‘ is rated by clients; Antacli stands out for her knowledge of ESG and matters involving Brazilian Biodiversity and Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS). Vladimir Miranda Abreu spearheads the climate change and carbon market department, and has substantial experience in real estate transactions and timberland investments. Senior associate Danilo Lambert Vieira De Sousa handles environmental licensing matters and litigation before state and federal courts, the latter of which is also an area of particular focus for associate Bruno Pisani Della Barba.
Adriana Mathias Baptista; Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli
‘Ability to understand the client and adapt to the language and processes of the operational areas to address risks and obligations without formalities.’
‘Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli – technical knowledge, resilience, availability, practicality, responsiveness and objectivity.’
‘TozziniFreire Advogados provides excellent services; excellent quality of professionals and client care.’
‘Adriana Mathias Baptista – brilliant professional, with knowledge and technical quality far above others. Assists clients in a personal way, with attention, care and understanding of the client’s business.’
‘Adriana Batista and Danilo Lambert are recommended.’
‘TozziniFreire has an amazing team that provides sound technical legal support.’
‘Bianca’s can-do attitude is always very positive, from the simpler consultations to the high-profile and complex negotiations involving environmental matters.’
‘Team with broad technical knowledge in the environmental area and unique experience in the area.’
Fras-Le (Randon Group)
- Assisted PetroRio in the environmental aspects of the acquisition of offshore assets from Petrobras.
- Assisted Clariant in the divestment of the Quats (quaternary ammonium compounds) business in Brazil that included, among other assets, the Amines Plant located inside the Clariant Industrial Complex in the state of São Paulo.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Praised by clients for its ‘in-depth expertise and excellent technical knowledge‘ in the field of environmental law, Trench Rossi Watanabe is skilled at handling bet-the-company disputes, including class actions and infraction notices, environmental licensing and crisis management on behalf of clients from a range of industries. With extensive experience in critical matters involving contaminated sites, the group also excels in emerging issues, including sustainability, solid waste, biodiversity, climate change and carbon markets. The department is jointly led by the highly regarded Renata Amaral, who is counsel of choice for high-profile domestic and international companies engaged in contamination, carbon credits, licensing and transactional matters, and Giovani Tomasoni, who specialises in circular economy, ESG and environmental compliance mandates. Demonstrating expertise in administrative lawsuits, environmental liability and licensing procedures, associate Alexandre Jabra is a key contact for cases involving solid waste, air emissions and protected areas. Also recommended is senior associate Manuela Demarche, who is active in sustainability, ESG and climate change issues.
Renata Amaral; Giovani Tomasoni
‘With expertise in national and international themes, Trench Rossi is a reference in the environmental market.’
‘This team – which includes Renata Amaral, Giovani Tomasoni, and Manuela Demarche – has in-depth expertise and excellent technical knowledge. They are experienced in ESG and regulatory matters.’
‘Renata Amaral is one of the biggest references today and Manuela demonstrates that she will soon be a star.’
Banco John Deere
Procter & Gamble
- Advising Fosnor – Fosfatados Norte e Nordeste on the environmental aspects, including discussions with regulatory agencies, of the Santa Quitéria mining project.
- Advised Shell Brasil Petróleo on all legal matters related to investments in Nature-based Solutions (NbS) programmes in Brazil, including the investment of $40m in Carbonext.
- Provided advice to Braskem on environmental matters, including ESG-related topics.
Energy, telecoms, oil and gas, pulp and paper, infrastructure, mining and agribusiness companies routinely turn to Bichara Advogados‘ environmental team for assistance in judicial and administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies and public prosecutors. Showcasing ‘excellent experience in litigation and non-contentious matters‘, the group is also skilled in environmental licensing, compliance and ESG issues. Luciana Gil Ferreira is seasoned in all aspects of environmental law, including reverse logistics, contaminated sites and crisis management. She jointly manages the team with Patrícia Mendanha Dias, who was welcomed to the partnership in November 2022, and is a key contact for contentious mandates, licensing processes and environmental issues related to the mining sector. Associate Thais Monteiro Cabrera is particularly active in administrative proceedings and in the identification and management of environmental risks and liabilities in the context of projects and transactions.
Luciana Gil; Patrícia Mendanha Dias
‘Excellent experience in litigation and non-contentious matters.’
‘Luciana Gil and Patricia Dias are very attentive to trends, helping the client foresee scenarios. They and the team are always available and have excellent communication skills.’
PGS Investigação Petrolífera
- Defending JBS in a public civil action filed by IBAMA.
- Advising Moss Earth on the risk assessment of projects it develops to generate carbon credits.
- Assists Votorantim Cimentos in several lawsuits filed by more than 10,000 fishermen involving the construction and operation of a hydroelectric power plant on the Paraguaçu river.
BMA Advogados is skilled at handling a broad range of environmental mandates, ranging from strategic lawsuits and complex regulatory matters to transactions with considerable environmental implications. The team, which is well versed in ESG compliance and climate change issues, often advises domestic and foreign clients on carbon market regulations and projects, water pollution, mining damages and related liabilities in Brazil. Rio de Janeiro-based Marcio Pereira balances a busy caseload featuring high-profile instructions from the fields of energy, oil and gas, infrastructure, mining, telecoms, forestry and agribusiness. Marina Maciel in São Paulo handles both non-contentious work and litigation, and has recently advised on licensing issues, M&A deals and administrative proceedings. Since publication, Beatriz Paulo De Frontin has left the firm, effective as of November 2023.
Márcio Pereira; Marina da Silva Pinto Maciel
‘Stands out for its industry knowledge.’
‘Marcos is very knowledgeable in environmental matters.’
PQ Silicas Brasil
Bank of Montreal
Lactalis do Brasil – Comércio, Importação e Exportação de Laticínios
Norsk Hydro Brasil
Serviços de Petróleo Constellation
Geti Empreendimentos Imobiliarios
- Assisting Vale in several environmental proceedings related to the decommissioning of mining tailing dams in the state of Minas Gerais.
- Provides legal advice to PQ Silicas Brasil on environmental issues in relation to its two plants located in the state of São Paulo.
- Advising Bank of Montreal on an M&A deal involving Canadian company Radicle, whose business is carbon credits in Brazil.
Felsberg Advogados has established a niche specialism in waste management work, demonstrating strong capabilities in matters concerning the implementation of circular economy and take-back programmes. The firm, which is a go-to choice for industry associations, is turned to by clients from the worlds of electronics, food and beverages, and pharmaceuticals, which engage it in policy-making matters, environmental compliance and contamination cases. Climate change and ESG issues, including carbon credits and climate litigation, also feature in the firm’s workload. Fabricio Soler, who is often involved in studies for the World Bank, the United Nations and the National Confederation Industry, is a reference in the Brazilian legal market for waste law and environmental compliance. He heads up the team alongside senior associate Daniela Mota, who specialises in biodiversity issues, ESG and sanitation-related matters. Associate Rafael Locatelli is another practitioner to note for waste management, contaminated sites and protected areas.
Fabricio Soler; Daniela Mota
‘Felsberg Advogados stands out for its knowledge in relation to sustainability issues, in particular the National Solid Waste Policy. The team manages to provide quality information in a timely manner on the progress of these issues in all spheres of government. It is a reference in the definition of decrees, laws and public policy on the subject.’
‘Fabricio stands out for his notoriety in the subject, his ability to translate technical topics in a clear and concise way, in addition to always being available to clients.’
ABAL (Associação Brasileira do Alumínio)
ECP (Economia Circular Participações)
Mais Brasil Recicláveis
- Assisted Paranapanema in obtaining an authorisation from the environmental agency for the resumption of exports of anodic sludge that were stopped in September 2021.
- Represents SELURB, ABLP and ABETRE as amici curiae before the Brazilian Supreme Court in an appeal which discusses the financing of sanitation and waste management services.
- Assists ABREE and ELETROS in waste matters, including the negotiation of subordinate legislation with governmental authorities and defence against penalties imposed by environmental authorities.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
Led by the ‘dedicated, competent and objective‘ Renata Pires Castanho, Lobo de Rizzo Advogados’ environment department is proficient across the entire spectrum of mandates, ranging from judicial and administrative litigation to environmental licensing, transactions, ESG and carbon trading issues. Reverse logistics matters and class actions also feature in the team’s portfolio, which is populated by instructions from clients operating in the agribusiness, pharmaceuticals, paper and pulp, chemicals, energy, private equity and financial services sectors. With a wealth of experience in non-contentious matters and litigation in the environmental sphere, practice head Castanho is often engaged in risk allocation in the context of corporate and financing transactions, licensing issues and administrative proceedings. She receives key support from senior associate Amália Simões Botter Fabbri, who is knowledgeable in waste management, protected areas, climate change and carbon compensation projects, among other areas.
Renata Pires Castanho
‘Renata Pires and Amalia Fabbri are dedicated, competent, objective and transparent.’
‘Their in-depth legal knowledge and strategy make the difference. Renata and Amália provide a service of unparalleled quality.’
‘Excellent and qualified professionals.’
Volkswagen do Brasil – Indústria de Veículos Automotores
Dow Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Produtos Químicos
ABAL – Associação Brasileira de Alumínio
Sylvamo do Brasil
- Assisted Cargill in a public civil action filed by the NGO Cáritas Brasileira Regional Norte II, which discusses the acts issued by the Federal Government that recognised Cargill’s useful ownership over Union property.
- Assisted EMS in the filing of an Action for Annulment that has as its object the Notice of Violation with Penalty of Fine nº 34001547, drawn up by the Environmental Agency of São Paulo State due to an accidental fire.
- Advises Dexco on several environmental matters.
Veirano Advogados‘ environmental team attracts instructions from domestic and international companies operating in a range of environmentally sensitive industries, including chemicals, electronics, infrastructure, mining, pharmaceuticals and energy. With a strong presence in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre, the group not only advises on the environmental risks of high-value M&A deals and projects, it is also well placed to assist in administrative and judicial proceedings involving solid waste, protected areas, pollution and contaminated sites. The group, which has increasingly been engaged in climate change and carbon markets matters, is jointly managed by Lívia Miné, who focuses on tort and environmental cases and is based in the Rio de Janeiro office, and São Paulo-based partners Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev, who regularly advises investors and financial institutions on sustainability and climate change issues, and Luís Felipe Aguiar de Andrade, who acts for agribusiness clients in matters involving forestry, pesticides, fertilisers and biotechnology regulations. Senior associate Juliana Marcussi handles ESG, carbon markets, circular economy and sustainable finance matters. Since publication, Beatriz Paulo De Frontin has joined from BMA Advogados, effective as of December 2023.
Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev; Livia Miné; Luis Felipe Aguiar de Andrade
Yara do Brasil
Pan-Americana Indústrias Químicas
E4U Juruena Energia
Paranapanema and Mineração Taboca
Carbon Streaming Corporation
- Provided assistance to the Novo Caracol consortium, managed by Iter Parques, which controls Bondinho do Pão de Açúcar Park, in the concession auction process for the state parks of Caracol and Tainhas in Rio Grande do Sul.
- Advising Carbon Streaming Corporation on the environmental aspects of the REDD+ partnership contracts signed between CSC and Future Carbon Group.
- Acting for Paranapanema and Mineração Taboca in a public civil action filed by the National Indian Foundation and the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office seeking the recovery of environmental damages.
Almeida Advogados is well positioned to handle all types of environmental and natural resources issues, but demonstrates particular strength in licensing mandates, reverse logistics and environmental infringement actions. Belo Horizonte-based partner Guilherme Doval, who has a relevant background in the mining sector, oversees the practice alongside infrastructure and administrative law specialist Rafael Zinato Moreira in Rio de Janeiro. In the same office, Pedro Argenta Bayardino is active in litigation. Igor Luna and Luísa Sottili left the firm in August 2023.
Guilherme Doval; Rafael Zinato Moreira
‘Almeida Advogados has a proactive mindset.’
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
BRK Ambiental Participações
Blaser Swisslube do Brasil
Instituto Nacional das Empresas de Preparação de Sucata não Ferrosa e Aço – INESFA
Companhia Fabril Mascarenhas
Bom Negócio Atividades de Internet
Orizon Meio Ambiente
Samarco Mineração – em Recuperação Judicial
Aurea Energias Renováveis
Santa Vitória Açucar e Alcool
- Represents BRK Ambiental in a public civil action filed by the Brazilian Bar Association – Tocantins subsection for the payment of compensation for the leakage of raw sewage in the city of Palmas and for the guarantee of supply to the population during the drought period.
- Assists Blaser Swisslube do Brasil in a notice of infraction and criminal investigation.
- Assists Bom Negócio Atividade de Internet (OLX) in proceedings before IBAMA.
Primarily based in Belo Horizonte, the environmental team at Azevedo Sette Advogados is seen with great regularity advising clients from the mining, energy, infrastructure, agribusiness, industrial and forestry sectors in relation to environmental compliance, risk assessments and licensing matters. Administrative proceedings are another area of activity for the group, which is coordinated by Leonardo Pereira Lamego, whose environmental law expertise covers due diligence in the context of transactions and projects, investigations and negotiations with public prosecutors. Senior associates Svetlana Maria De Miranda and Cynthia De Souza Cardoso are also part of the core environmental team.
Leonardo Pereira Lamego
- Assisted Vale in the negotiations of an environmental settlement agreement in the aftermath of the Brumadinho tailings dam collapse.
- Defending Samarco on the lawsuits involving the fines applied by IBAMA regarding the tailings dam collapse in Mariana.
- Helped BHA to obtain all the necessary licenses and environmental authorisations to implement the industrial airport and allow industries to install facilities in the area.
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper brings together environmental law specialists who are well placed to assist domestic and international companies operating in the oil and gas, agribusiness, infrastructure, real estate and energy sectors in an array of matters, including crisis management, risk assessments, environmental licensing and litigation. Rated for its ‘ability to deal with complex issues‘, the group is under the joint leadership of two partners based in Rio de Janeiro – Paulo De Bessa Antunes and Vilmar Gonçalves – and São Paulo-based partner Ana Paula Chagas, who has a wealth of experience in protected areas, waste management, climate change, ESG and carbon markets. Antunes and Gonçalves are strong performers in judicial and administrative proceedings. Other key individuals include Nathália Almeida in Rio and Carina Cancela in São Paulo, both of whom maintain a broad environmental practice, covering non-contentious matters and negotiations with environmental agencies, public prosecutors and state authorities.
Paulo de Bessa Antunes; Vilmar Luiz Graça Gonçalves; Ana Paula Chagas
‘The team is multidisciplinary, which facilitates the fulfilment of multidisciplinary matters.’
‘Ana Paula Chagas is a very distinguished professional in the market. She seeks to understand in depth the clients’ activities and businesses. She is always available, aware of trends and can easily predict scenarios.’
‘Vilmar Luiz Graça Gonçalves is an admirable professional, because in addition to being competent, he is attentive, always available and kind.’
‘Ability to deal with complex issues.’
‘The environmental law team stands out in Rio de Janeiro for having one of the most renowned and respected lawyers in the area in Brazil, Paulo Bessa Antunes, as well as Vilmar Gonçalves, whose knowledge and reach due to his expertise in environmental law and litigation make the team a powerful asset. They have extensive knowledge of the O&G sector, which helps in the stages of environmental licensing, consent processes, defense of administrative sanctions, as well as legal proceedings related to environmental issues.’
‘Vilmar Gonçalves and Nathalia Almeida are outstanding individuals. Vilmar is an excellent lawyer, capable of absorbing the client’s complex demands and delivering fast, complete results and a unique strategic vision. I understand that Vilmar is one of the leading names in environmental law in Rio de Janeiro today, and working with the DLA team has the potential to become one of the leading names in the area in Brazil. Nathalia, who works on Vilmar’s team, also has enormous potential for professional development in view of the results currently being presented.’
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados is regularly called on by clients from the oil and gas, energy, food and beverage, mining and infrastructure sectors for assistance in contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. With over 15 years of experience in the environmental and public law spheres, Rafael Feldmann is especially well versed in managing the environmental risks of M&A, capital markets and financing transactions; he is also seasoned in climate change matters and litigation. He receives key support from Camila Figueiredo, who ‘stands out for her solid experience‘ in waste management, contaminated sites and environmental licensing.
‘Environmental team of the highest technical quality, in addition to being available and efficient. Deliveries always above expectations, even on complex issues. They managed to communicate perfectly, adapting the message to the public.’
‘Rafael Feldmann is a lawyer like few others. Focused and diligent, he always has the answer the client needs. Camila Figueiredo also stands out for her solid experience and technical capacity.’
‘Rafael and Camila’s performance in the environmental area at Cascione is really at a different level than the market in general. Rafael and Camila are a lean team, but very efficient and with great cost-benefit. We needed punctual action, but one that involved extensive knowledge of issues related to environmental agencies and they were absolutely precise.’
- Assisted Gerdau in the transfer of an environmental license of a port facility (located in Salvador, Bahia) that will be controlled by another relevant player (Intermarítima Group).
- Represented TGS/Spectrum in a public civil action that discussed environmental damages caused by the company due to the alleged non-compliance with an environmental license in the exercise of its activities.
- Represented Vigor in a civil inquiry that investigated possible environmental breaches by a Vigor subsidiary at Passos, Minas Gerais.
Cescon Barrieu is active across a range of sectors where environmental issues are commercially relevant or heavily regulated, including oil and gas, mining, energy, agribusiness, telecoms and real estate. The group, which works closely with the firm’s corporate and M&A department, is routinely retained by local companies, multinationals, investment funds and financial institutions in relation to corporate, financing and capital markets transactions with substantial environmental implications. Advising clients on negotiations with environmental agencies and the Public Attorney’s office is also among the team’s core areas of focus. Based in Belo Horizonte, Marcelo Mendo and Maurício Pellegrino De Souza specialise in mining and environmental mandates. In July 2023, the team was reinforced by the addition of environmental law specialists Roberta Jardim and Mayara Alves Bezerra, who were formerly at Milaré Advogados.
Marcelo Mendo; Maurício Pellegrino de Souza
IBRAM (Instituto Brasileiro de Mineração)
Jaepel Papéis e Embalagens
Vital Engenharia Ambiental
Hemisfério Sul Investimentos
AES Brasil Energia
- Advised IBRAM (Instituto Brasileiro de Mineração) and ProActiva on the translation and adaptation processes of the Towards Sustainable Mining Protocols (TSM).
- Defended Jaepel Papéis e Embalagens in seven Infraction Notices issued by IBAMA.
- Advised Vital Engenharia Ambiental on a public civil action and on a preparatory procedure.
CGM Advogados is best known for providing advice to foreign clients – chiefly US importers operating in the lumber industry – on administrative proceedings involving the import of native wood sourced from sustainably managed forests in the Brazilian Amazon biome. Commended for its ‘efficiency and vast legal knowledge of environmental issues‘, the department undertakes work related to environmental risk assessments, licensing procedures, reverse logistics and carbon market matters. Paula Chaccur de Cresci, who draws on over two decades of experience in environmental law, is noted for her focus on compliance, ESG issues and risk management in the context of cross-border corporate and real estate deals.
Paula Chaccur de Cresci
‘We had a very good experience with the service we received from the attorney assisting us. She was resourceful, clarified all of the questions my team and myself had and was also able to coordinate meetings with people in the field that could bring in even more clarifications on the subject.’
‘Service and ease of communication.’
‘Paula Chaccur de Cresci proved to be very competent and up-to-date on the issue of the carbon credit market.’
‘Multidisciplinary and experienced team, which makes the client very confident and safe that all legal aspects of a contract or legal process are evaluated in order to identify all risks.’
‘Agility in service; flexibility in the negotiation of service values, respect for deadlines.’
‘Service provided with extreme efficiency and vast legal knowledge of environmental issues.’
Stockton Agrimor do Brasil
Brazilian Wood Depot (BWD)
- Assisting Hershey Company with compliance with federal, state and municipal laws, and the development of a reverse logistics strategy.
- Assisting Brazilian Wood Depot in the review of the company’s Brazilian suppliers of timber in the compliance with federal and state environmental laws.
- Advising Ecolab Química on environmental regulations involving licensing processes and the registration of products with IBAMA.
Showcasing extensive experience in contaminated sites, protected areas and environmental licensing, KLA Advogados has a loyal client base of companies from the agribusiness and biofuels sector, which regularly turn to the team for assistance in land use restrictions and due diligence of rural properties. Climate litigation, carbon credits and ESG matters are growing areas of activity for the department, which is led by Leticia Marques. Practice head Marques handles a variety of environmental matters, ranging from licensing issues to administrative proceedings.
Leticia Yumi Marques
‘Letícia Yumi Marques has deep knowledge in the environmental area and acts collectively, bringing together partners and the client’s interests for an integrated solution.’
‘The office is agile and attentive to the needs of clients and partners. It acts responsibly.’
Lefosse Advogados fields a standalone practice focused on environmental law, which is equipped to handle contentious matters, transactional work and crisis management issues. Benefitting from a close relationship with the firm’s transactional practices, the group is skilled in assessing the environmental risks of M&A, capital markets, financing and real estate deals, and also assists companies in the implementation of their ESG initiatives. Guilherme Mota possesses ‘extensive experience in incidents with great environmental impact’, including dam failures and large fires. Senior associate Gabriela Mello offers support to clients from the infrastructure, mining, energy, real estate, forestry and industrial sectors.
‘Lefosse’s environmental team is technically qualified and available.’
‘Guilherme Mota – in addition to his very high technical capacity, he is an accessible partner with a very good preventive response time, considering the urgency that environmental issues bring to companies.’
‘I believe that the differential of the environmental team is the quick service and the clarity of the information provided.’
‘Guilherme Mota is efficient and practical.’
‘Guilherme Mota – extensive experience in incidents with great environmental impact.’
‘The firm has great expertise in complex crisis management, assisting the client in the decision-making process. Multidisciplinary and integrated team.’
‘Guilherme Mota is a very attentive lawyer, who can understand the needs of the client and advise strategically.’
‘Guilherme Mota stands out for his knowledge and experience, inspiring confidence in clients.’
Quest Telecomunicações do Brasil
XP Infra IV FIP
ADM do Brasil
Bracell SP Celulose
Emergent Cold LLC
Lavoro Agro Holding
Puig Brasil Comercializadora de Perfumes
- Assisted ArcelorMittal with the environmental aspects of the acquisition of Companhia Siderúrgica do Pecém (CSP).
- Advising ADM do Brasil on several environmental matters, such as regulatory compliance and support before environmental authorities.
- Providing assistance to Bracell on environmental matters, such as strategic environmental proceedings, environmental due diligence and liabilities allocation.
Covering non-contentious work and litigation, Martinelli Advogados ‘stands out for its in-depth knowledge of environmental legislation in Santa Catarina and the city of Joinville‘. The environmental team handles a mix of administrative proceedings, civil cases and investigations, and is also often engaged in the due diligence of transactions in the agribusiness, manufacturing, food and beverages, consumer goods and construction spaces. Department head Patrícia de Pádua Rodrigues focuses on state and federal compliance matters, permitting and solid waste management matters. André Campos Valadão and Carolina Gonçalves Mota, the latter of whom specialises in transactional and regulatory work, are other names to note.
Patrícia de Pádua Rodrigues
‘The firm stands out for its in-depth knowledge of environmental legislation in Santa Catarina and the city of Joinville. In addition, all lawyers have a very good relationship with the supervisory bodies, which facilitates the scheduling of meetings and attention to the company’s processes.’
‘I highlight Carolina Mota and Patrícia Padua Rodrigues, who provide a differentiated service and quick responses, are always available and looking for solutions that meet the interests of the client.’
Fazenda Da Riva Participações
Copacol Cooperativa Agroindustrial Consolata
Krona Tubos E Conexões
Associação Nacional Da Indústria De Pneumáticos (Anip)
Romagnole Produtos Elétricos
Glencore Do Brasil Comércio E Exportação
- Advises Fazenda da Riva Participações on an annulment suit seeking declaration of nullity of an infraction notice and embargo order issued by the Mato Grosso State Secretariat of the Environment (SEMA/MT).
- Assists Dohler in its river monitoring environmental education project, developed in partnership with Joinville Regional University (Univille) and being implemented in the municipal schools of Joinville.
- Assists JBS in an environmental damage claim.
Rolim Goulart Cardoso Advogados
Based in Belo Horizonte, Rolim Goulart Cardoso Advogados acts for clients from key industry sectors, including mining, energy, forestry, construction and real estate, in administrative matters before environment agencies and the Public Prosecutor’s Office. Environmental licensing is another area of expertise for the group, which also advises on the identification and assessment of environmental risks in the context of M&A, asset deals, financings and capital markets transactions. Leading the practice, Thiago Pastor Alves Pereira is a seasoned practitioner in solid waste, water resources, climate change, biodiversity and contaminated sites. Senior associate Marcus Vinicius Neves Vaz is a key contact for mining, energy and infrastructure clients.
Thiago Pastor Alves Pereira
‘Excellent service and promptness.’
‘I’d highlight Thiago Pastor and Marcus Vaz.’
Mosaic Fertilizantes P&K
Helibrás – Helicópteros do Brasil
Companhia Paulista de Força e Luz (CPFL)
Stellantis (Grupo FIAT)
Marelli Sistemas Automotivos
Consórcio UHE Guilman-Amorim
Piauí Níquel Metais
ADM do Brasil
- Provided legal assistance to Coca-Cola FEMSA throughout the entire project of the construction of a new industrial plant.
- Assisting Kinross Brasil Mineração in the negotiations with the Public Prosecutor of the State of Minas Gerais for the execution of an adjustment deal seeking the regularisation of its activities of gold mineral exploration at Paracatu.
- Advises CPFL on several environmental issues, including the environmental licensing of transmission lines and hydropower plants.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Focused on environmental, urban and biodiversity law, Siqueira Castro – Advogados‘ team primarily provides advice in the context of administrative proceedings, litigation and environmental licensing matters. A diverse roster of clients from the worlds of energy, infrastructure, construction and agribusiness sectors regularly turn to the team, which is spearheaded by Simone Paschoal Nogueira, who ‘stands out in the electricity sector as an expert in environmental law’. Other noteworthy practitioners include Iris Zimmer, Annelise Abi-Ramia Ferreras and Natasha Rosset, all of whom handle consulting and contentious environmental matters.
Simone Paschoal Nogueira
‘Firm of excellence in environmental matters; deep knowledge on the subject.’
‘Simone Nogueira stands out in the electricity sector as an expert in environmental law.’
‘Siqueira Castro has an extremely competent team that associates solid knowledge in the environmental area with prices suitable for the market when it involves large-scale size.’
DP World Santos
Associação Brasileira de Energia Eólica – Abeeolica
Localiza Rent a Car
Companhia Siderúrgica do PECEM – CSP
Empresa Transmissor de Energia do Nordeste – ETENE
Gerdau Aços Longos
Construtora e Comércio Camargo Correa
Companhia de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica Paulista – CTEEP
- Assists AES TIETÊ ENERGIA in environmental proceedings before federal and state Public Prosecutors, as well as environmental agencies and municipalities.
- Advises GRUPO SOLVI on environmental licensing matters.
- Assists Associação Brasileira de Energia Eólica (Abeeolica) in several environmental matters, including the environmental licensing of wind farms.
Based in Porto Alegre, Souto Correa Advogados‘ environmental and sustainability group is equipped to assist a varied corporate client base – including well-known names from the forestry, energy, construction, infrastructure and retail sectors – in a broad range of contentious and transactional work. The team has recently experienced an uptick in mandates concerning waste management, reverse logistics and climate change, and continues to be engaged in matters involving contaminated sites, pollution, protected areas and water resources. Leading the practice is Fabiana Figueiro, whose extensive experience in the environmental sphere includes licensing, administrative proceedings and judicial litigation. Juliana Pretto Stangherlin attracts regular instructions from the pulp and paper and energy sectors. Mariana Vicente Níquel often undertakes environmental due diligence in relation to M&A, capital markets and real estate transactions; this is also a key expertise for André Castilho. Associate Tasso Cipriano joined from Felsberg Advogados in July 2022.
‘Souto Correa Advogados stands out for the quality of its lawyers. There are competent professionals in several areas, which facilitates and strengthens the provision of the service.’
‘Fabiana Figueiró is knowledgeable and very accessible.’
Global Logistic Properties – GLP
Irani Papel e Embalagem
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Latam Airlines Brazil
Deutsche Leasing Banking
Compromisso Empresarial para Reciclagem – CEMPRE
Timac Agro Brasil
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Brother International Corporation do Brasil
GL Events Anhembi
- Representing Adama in three civil class actions involving alleged environmental and private property damage as well as harm to consumers.
- Engaged by GL Events to represent the company in administrative and judicial proceedings against three infraction notices issued by PSIU regarding musical events that allegedly violated the municipal regulation on noise emissions.
- Assisted Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia, Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil and Brother International Corporation do Brasil in complying with EPR/take-back regulations nationwide.
Foreign and Brazilian companies regularly turn to Stocche Forbes Advogados for its wide-ranging expertise in commercial and real estate transactions with considerable environmental risks and implications. The team, which works in close collaboration with the firm's banking, capital markets and infrastructure groups, has notable strength in the identification and management of environmental liabilities in the context of major projects, and is also well versed in environmental investigations and litigation. Following the departure of former head Caroline Dihl Prolo , the group is now led by Beatriz de Azevedo Marcico Pereira, who specialises in ESG issues. Paula Feldmann is a key contact for judicial and administrative cases.
Beatriz de Azevedo Marcico Pereira
‘The firm is always up-to-date in its areas of activity and keeps us up-to-date with the rules and laws applicable to our business.’
‘An experienced team of professionals.’
Forbes & Manhattan Resources
Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo
Elecnor do Brasil
Mercuria Energy Group
Companhia de Saneamento Básico do Estado de São Paulo
- Advised Forbes & Manhattan on the leveraged buyout of 100% of the shares issued by Paraná Xisto, a SPV owned by Petrobras that holds a shale oil and gas EP concession, refinery assets and other rights related to the Shale Industrialisation Unit (SIX) in São Mateus do Sul.
- Assisted Angelim Participações in the acquisition of a rural property located in the state of Acre.
- Advised Pátria Investimentos on the legal environmental due diligence in the context of the acquisition of nine hydroelectric power plants from Contour Global.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados' ‘business-oriented‘ environmental practice is well placed to handle sensitive environmental issues in the context of corporate transactions. Environmental licensing and cases involving contaminated sites, protected areas and pollution are other areas of focus for the group, which stands out for its involvement in ESG matters, ranging from carbon reporting to sustainability claims. Founding partner Antonio Celso Pugliese, a name to note for high-stakes litigation and arbitration, oversees the team with Anderson Moura, who was welcomed to the partnership in May 2022, and became the head of Dentons‘ ESG group for Latin America and the Caribbean in June 2022.
Antonio Celso Pugliese; Anderson Moura
‘Business-oriented practice. Anderson Moura has deep knowledge of environmental law and applies it to provide practical business solutions.’
‘Anderson Moura shows a great interest for understanding the client’s business to provide tailor-made legal solutions. He also proactively discusses market trends to anticipate challenges.’
E4U Energia Holding do Brasil
Mosaic Fertilizantes P&K
Sandvik Coromant do Brasil Industria e Comercio de Ferramentas
Usina Açucareira Furlan
Usiminas – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais