Demarest Advogados has the ability to handle numerous concurrent matters pertaining to historic heritage protection, solid waste management, environmental licensing, air emissions, remediation of contaminated sites and protected areas and indigenous people. Working closely with the litigation team, the practice acts for clients from a range of industries, particularly mining, forestry, chemicals and agribusiness, in administrative, civil and criminal environmental proceedings. Advising on regulatory issues and new environmental legislation also features on the team's workload. Highly regarded practice head Luiz Sant’Anna is experienced in crisis management. Climate change and forestry law are some of Lourdes de Alcântara Machado's key areas of focus, while Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo specialises in environmental issues involving contaminated areas, water resources and licensing.
Environment in Brazil
‘Demarest’s knowledge, commitment and level of practice to explore arguments and ideas, in order to achieve the results, are a competitive factor.’
‘Demarest team is very focused and proactive when it comes to understand client’s concerns. I value their communication skills, specially when to address the necessary courses of actions on behalf of the client. Regarding this matter, a special merit mention to the team: Luiz Fernando Sant’Anna; Maria Helena Bragaglia; Marina Montes Bastos; Fernanda Vianna Stefanelo and Amanda Beatriz Teixeira Carvalho.’
Copart do Brasil
CEMPRE – ABAL – ABRALATAS and IBA
Rio da Areia Administração de Reflorestamento Ltda.
Associação Brasileira do Agronegócio – ABAG
Brasil Terminal Portuário
- Assisted Rural Brasil in the administrative defence, civil investigation and negotiations with the public authorities in order to lift an embargo on the client’s activity.
- Advised Copart do Brasil on environmental issues related to protected areas, due to alleged vegetation suppression and hindering its natural regeneration in two areas inside the headquarters located in Itaquaquecetuba.
- Provided legal assistance to several associations in negotiations with the public authorities in civil investigations and lawsuits, regarding the operation of the reverse logistics system of packaging.
- Advising Dow in regard to environmental issues related to a major enterprise located in Serra do Mar (Sea Ridge).
- Defending Rio da Areia in administrative, civil and criminal environmental proceedings related to commercial reforestation activities.
Environmental boutique Milaré Advogados advises on the full range of environmental judicial and administrative procedures, tailoring services according to its sector-specific expertise. The overall practice, which further demonstrates strength in permitting, licensing and criminal matters, as well as environmental policy, is under the leadership of environmental law expert and former public prosecutor Édis Milaré. Roberta Jardim de Morais has significant experience in the agribusiness, forestry and paper, port, airport, railway and highway sectors. Priscila Santos Artigas leads on energy and mining-related mandates, while contaminated sites, solid waste, sanitation and oil and gas-related issues are coordinated by Rita Maria Borges Franco. Juliana Flávia Mattei's areas of focus include dangerous products, municipal issues and environmental matters in the retail, mining and steel industries.
‘The Milaré team is hands down the best legal practice in environmental law in Brazil. The depth of knowledge, client focused approach and amazing execution makes them the best in the country.’
‘Edis Milaré and Roberta Jardim de Morais’s work ethic, dedication and in-depth expertise is unmatched in the industry. The level of client service and fast turnaround with key issues pertaining to the case were impeccable. Simply put, without the guidance from them our case would have not achieved the successful outcome it had.’
Grupo Camargo Corrêa
Pinheiro Neto Advogados
Pinheiro Neto Advogados' broad service offering covers advisory and litigation matters pertaining to environmental regulations, health and safety at work, sustainability, biotechnology and energy, among other areas. The team also excels in civil, administrative and criminal environmental liability, and showcases a strong track record in environmental licensing and cases involving contaminated landfills. In addition, the practice is proficient in advising on environmental issues arising from corporate transactions and projects. Antonio José Monteiro stands out for his experience in dealing with agribusiness and biotechnology-related environmental matters, while Werner Grau Neto is regularly instructed by mining and energy players in contentious matters involving the infrastructure sector. Civil public actions are one of Alexandre Outeda Jorge's key specialisms. Andre Vivan de Souza advises clients with environmental licensing and waste management matters.
‘Pinheiro Neto is a full-service law firm with specialised and highly capable professionals.’
‘The team lead by the partner Alexandre Outeda Jorge is extremely professional, competent, accessible and business oriented. They are also very flexible in terms of billing, understanding the context and proposing structures taking into consideration the needs of the company.’
‘Alexandre Outeda Jorge is an outstanding professional, with strong background and negotiation skills in critical situations. Dérik and Ariane are part of Alexandre’s team and they are able to handle difficult situations, for example, in court hearings, debating and sustaining company’s position with good background and insights.’
BHP Billiton Brasil / BHP PLC
Dow Agrosciences Industrial
Empresa de Energia Cachoeira Caldeirão – EECC (EDP Group)
- Representing BHP Billiton in multiple collective and individual lawsuits related to the Samarco dam failure, and negotiations with federal and state prosecutors, Vale, environmental authorities and other stakeholders.
- Assists Tüv Süd and local companies in legal matters arising from the dam collapse in Brumadinho, Minas Gerais.
- Acting for Eternity in several civil public actions in different plants in Brazil related to the former use of asbestos as a raw material.
- Representing multiple companies in environmental litigation due to illegal waste disposal by a company named Companhia Brasileira de Bauxita – Usina de Passivos Ambientais.
- Assisting Votorantim Energia and Votorantim Cimentos in the renewal process of the operation license of Pedra do Cavalo hydro power plant.
Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados
Graça Couto, Sequerra, Levitinas, Bicudo, Leal & Abby Advogados has a strong track record in high-profile environmental matters, demonstrating unparalleled expertise in crisis management. Combining multi-disciplinary legal knowledge of corporate, tax and real estate issues, the team is capable of assisting clients with complex challenges posed by climate change. Apart from acting in sector-related litigation, the practice also works closely with the corporate department to provide assistance in relation to potential environmental liabilities arising from M&A transactions. Environmental law expert Oscar Graça Couto leads the group alongside Guilherme Leal, who focuses on climate change issues, and Alexandre Abby, who is in charge of litigation.
BP Energy do Brasil
Carioca Christiani-Nielsen Engenharia
China Three Gorges Brasil Energia
Energia Sustentável do Brasil
Equinor Brasil Energia
Estaleiro Jurong Aracruz
Ipiranga Produtos de Petróleo
Nova Transportadora do Sudeste
Petro Rio Jaguar Petróleo
Saneamento Ambiental Águas do Brasil
Total E&P do Brasil
- Represented Vale in the dam collapse case in Brumadinho, Minas Gerais, having taken on a leading role in all environmental-related aspects of the crisis.
- Acts for Ipiranga in a case involving waste disposal in a landfill in Ulianópolis, State of Pará.
- Represents Ipiranga in a leading case on administrative environmental liability, discussing whether a company that hires another company to transport its product could be penalised, regardless of fault, for the pollution resulting from an oil spill caused by the transporter.
- Assists Petro Rio Jaguar Petróleo in several civil actions concerning two oil incidents that took place in the Frade Field, at Campos Basin, in 2011-2012.
Covering the gamut of environmental matters, Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados advises on the environmental aspects of project development, M&A, financing and capital markets transactions. The team is particularly noted for its strong track record in crisis management cases, but is also well versed in complex environmental litigation, handling cases concerning biodiversity, climate change, agribusiness and forestry issues. Roberta Danelon Leonhardt leads the practice and stands out for her experience in environmental disputes. Judicial and administrative proceedings are a key area of activity for Eduardo de Campos Ferreira, who joined the team from Pinheiro Neto Advogados. Daniela Stump recently left the firm.
‘Machado Meyer is one of the big firms in Brazil with very talented professionals in environmental area. They have a lot of experience and are very dedicated for the clients.‘
‘Roberta Danelon and Paula Araujo are exceptional professionals with a special attention for the clients issues and concerns.‘
Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais
Latam Airlines Group
BrasilAgro – Companhia Brasileira de Propriedades Agrícolas
FOSNOR – Fosfatados do Norte-Nordeste
Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras
Hidrovias do Brasil
- Advising AMATA on a crisis management case arising from the second stage of Operation Arquimedes, in which 60 companies are being investigated due to alleged irregularities in exploring and exporting wood from the Amazon.
- Assisting Vale with a series of issues arising from the Brumadinho accident; the team is leading the indemnification negotiations with the local population and several government authorities.
- Assisted BlackRock Global Energy&Power Infrastructure Funds with all environmental aspects of the acquisition of the Três Irmãos power plant, the largest power plant in the State of São Paulo.
- Advising Samarco Mineração in complying with a series of environmental and social obligations assumed under the agreements deriving from the Mariana dam accident.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados' environmental group is sought after for assistance in administrative and judicial litigation, as well as in the assessment of environmental risk in the context of M&A transactions. The team demonstrates extensive experience in issues pertaining to brownfield and contaminated site management, take-back waste product agreements, agroforestry matters and environmental licensing. Climate change and biodiversity are other areas of expertise for the department, which is under the leadership of highly experienced partner Lina Pimentel Garcia, and saw recent growth at the partner level with the promotions of Antonio Augusto Reis and Rômulo Sampaio to the partnership in 2020.
‘Competent lawyers who are committed to ethical practices. The team always provides intelligent and thought-out strategies, taking into account the client’s best interests.’
SMC Automação do Brasil
Prometeon Tyre Group
Laboratório Químico Farmacêutico Bergamo
Unipar Indupa do Brasil
Dow Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Produtos Químicos
International Paper do Brasil
Siderúrgica Norte Brasil – Sinobras
GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Agência Alemã de Cooperação Internacional)
Garrett Advancing Motion
- Assisted Prometeon Tyre Group in a complex case involving contamination of soil and groundwater with criminal liabilities.
- Advising Spice Indústria Química on a matter related to an explosion, advising on legal strategy and an action and communication plan to address the case with public authorities, civil organisations and the population in general.
- Retained to assist Dow Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Produtos Químicos following the occurrence of a sinkhole at the client’s rock salt mining area in Matarandiba Island.
- Assisting Ambev in negotiations with the Environment and Water Resources Secretariat of state of Maranhão (SEMA) due to an embargo issued by SEMA.
Prominent in both litigation and transactional matters, the environment practice at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown assists domestic and international clients with crisis management and negotiations with regulatory agencies and prosecutors. The group is adept at handling the entire range of environmental issues, ranging from environmental audits to transgenic crops, groundwater contamination and environmental licensing. Recently, the team has been active advising on issues surrounding toxic waste and the exploitation of natural resources. Paulo de Bessa Antunes has extensive experience in indigenous community issues, while Vilmar Gonçalves focuses on litigation and crisis management. The team was reinforced with the arrival of Luiz Gustavo Bezerra from Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados. He handles both consulting and litigation, and is now co-heading the practice alongside Antunes and Gonçalves.
‘The environmental team is very organised and has impressive technical skills. Lawyers are up to date with the latest developments in environmental law and provide assertive advice.’
‘The team stands out for always being aware of the latest hot topics in environmental law in Brazil, paying close attention to legislative changes, as well as courts and agencies’ decisions. Lawyers show a deep understanding of matters and understand client’s business needs. Paulo Bessa, Vilmar Gonçalves, Luiz Gustavo Bezerra and Gedham Gomes are recommended.’
TozziniFreire Advogados fields a team entirely devoted to environmental law, climate change and forestry issues. Showcasing extensive experience in pre-acquisition and compliance due diligence processes addressing environmental liabilities and risks, the practice is also well equipped to handle the management of contaminated areas, environmental licensing of large-scale projects, as well as litigation and regulatory matters. Adriana Mathias Baptista oversees the department; she stands out for her longstanding expertise in the field, and is regularly retained to advise on environmental audits and risk management. Bianca Bilton Signorini Antacli is another name to note in the team.
‘The environmental law team has a lot of experience, the professionals have worked together for a long time and are highly dedicated and specialised.’
‘The knowledge of the partners, the availability of the partners and the way they participate in every step of the work makes them great. Very few full-service firms have such a specialised environmental practice. First, the team is highly skilled and well organised. They are efficient and staffed correctly.’
‘They provide practical, business-minded advice at a fair price. They have excellent practical experience dealing with environmental clean-ups in Brazil and the related regulatory entities.’
‘Adriana, Bianca and Danilo are certainly the best in the market in environmental law. Combining experience in administrative and judicial law, they are able to deliver highly specialised and strategic work.’
‘Adriana Baptista is very direct, practical and objective, and she has not only great legal insights but she offers a combination of a deep legal knowledge and practical experience in the field.’
‘Bianca Antacli is highly knowledgeable, well versed in the law, understands what is going on other cases in the industry, and provides direct and useful recommendations. One of the best lawyers we work with in Latin America.’
‘Lawyer have real environmental experience, which gives them the ability to provide advice without the need for extensive legal research. They provide clear, practical advice. Their written and spoken English is excellent.’
Procter & Gamble
Ford Motor Company Brasil
Garrett Motion Indústria Automotiva Brasil
Cofic – Comitê de Fomento Industrial de Camaçari
Torrent do Brasil
W.R. Grace & Co.
Delphi & Co
- Advised Whirlpool on the sale of its compressor business to Nidec Corporation; the team conducted legal due diligence and advised on the transfer and/or obtainment of environmental licenses.
- Retained by Groupe ADP/Aéroports de Paris International to assist in relation to the public bid which privatised Brazilian airports.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
The environment and climate change practice at Trench Rossi Watanabe stands out for its expertise in contaminated site management, and also focuses on complex licensing matters, take-back schemes, environmental crisis management, air emissions, forestry, biodiversity and solid waste. The team excels in both administrative and judicial proceedings concerning environmental issues. Renata Amaral, who has extensive experience in representing clients in negotiations with environmental agencies, leads the department. Collective waste disposal and industrial licensing are some of Giovani Tomasoni's specialisms. Walter Hellmeister Junior is another key practitioner.
‘Probably the best environmental legal team in the market. The environmental team excels in many fronts, but its expertise and experience in all sorts of legal issues related to licensing and management of contaminated sites are simply unmatched by the competition.’
‘Partner Renata Amaral leads a diverse and highly functional team. Ms. Amaral is a seasoned lawyer with a very hands-on approach. She is capable of tackling all legal issued submitted to her attention from all possible angles, going beyond her role of mere outside counsel and positioning herself as a true business partner.’
‘Of counsel Walter Hellmeister adds a lot of experience in dealing with environmental agencies and associate Alexandre Jabra brings an incomparable capacity of delivering high quality work while working in a number of different complex matters at the same time.’
Shell Brasil Petróleo
Sociedade de Ensino Superior Estácio de Sá
Indústria e Comércio de Cosméticos Natura
Procter & Gamble do Brasil
Pepsico do Brasil
Yara Brasil Fertilizantes
Tate & Lyle Gemacom Tech Indústria e Comércio
Bridgestone do Brasil Indústria e Comércio
- Represents Shell Brasil Petróleo in an ongoing environmental case, concerning the appearance of crude oil along Brazil’s Northeast coastline since September 2019.
- Advising Imerys Rio Caulim on a matter concerning the contamination of water wells affecting public human consumption in the city of Barcarena, allegedly caused by contamination resulting from the client’s operations.
- Assisted Vopak Brazil with risk identification due to the lack of fire safety certificate at the company’s main site, one of the largest in Latin America.
- Assisting Yara Brasil Fertilizantes with the environmental licensing procedures related to the client’s dam expansions at the Serra do Salitre Mining and Industrial Complex.
Veirano Advogados‘ environment practice provides advice on strategic licensing in relation to high-value projects, and offers representation to clients in administrative proceedings and judicial litigation, including class actions arising from environmental issues. Particular areas of expertise include protected areas, post-consumption liability, contamination, air pollution, water resources and solid waste management, and the team regularly assists with the environmental aspects of investments. Since publication, the department has seen significant changes, with the departure of former practice head Ana Luci Grizzi and the arrival of Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev, from Pinheiro Neto Advogados, to head the practice.
Maria Christina Motta Gueorguiev
Kinea Renda Imobiliária Fundo de Investimento
Harald Indústria e Comércio
Jacobs Douwe Egbert
GE Power (Grid Solutions)
Olin Corporation / Blue Cube Brasil
Refinaria Petróleo Riograndense
Belo Monte Transmissora de Energia
- Assisted Harald Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos, a well-known Brazilian chocolate and candy manufacturer, in structuring its take-back system for used packages.
- Advising Olin, a North American chemical group, on compliance matters connected to wastewater and waste management (treatment, storage and discharge/disposal).
- Assisting Sika in an environmental lawsuit related to mismanagement of waste by a former waste management company in Pará, which resulted in the contamination of a large area located in the Amazon biome.
- Assisting Belo Monte, an energy transmission company, in three administrative proceedings ongoing at the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA) related to alleged non-compliance with conditions imposed on its environmental licenses concerning deforestation compensation matters.
The environment team at Bichara Advogados represents companies in various segments, including oil and gas, construction, petrochemicals, agribusiness, sanitation and water and waste management. It regularly assists clients on environmental licensing issues, impact analyses, audits and environmental liability assessments; the department also handles judicial litigation and administrative proceedings. Environmental law expert Luciana Gil Ferreira leads the practice.
‘Bichara has a very talented team that fulfills all needs for environmental complex cases. It’s a young team but with several capabilities that result in a special attention for the client.’
‘Luciana Gil is a very talented lawyer and has special attention with the clients. She is a very experienced lawyer in environmental cases and is always open to listen the client’s concerns.’
PGS Investigação Petrolífera
Brookfield Brasil Timber
- Provides legal support to Brookfield Brasil Timber on a judicial action where penalties were imposed by the State of Minas Gerais, including the shutdown of the client’s activities.
- Defending Oi against 564 fines imposed by Santa Catarina for the lack of environmental license to operate the telecommunication base station.
- Representing CRH Brazil before the environmental agency and the public prosecutor in the renewal of the environmental license of its cement plant located in Cantagalo, Rio de Janeiro.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão's service offering covers both environmental consultancy and litigation. The team is retained to advise on environmental matters, ranging from biodiversity regulation to water resources, waste management, contaminated sites, crisis management and compliance issues. Environmental permitting as well as environmental legal due diligence in connection with M&A transactions and infrastructure projects are also among the team's regular instructions. Practice co-head Marcio Pereira specialises in sustainability issues and regulatory matters pertaining to natural resources, while co-leader Beatriz Paulo de Frontin focuses on environmental licensing matters and administrative proceedings.
‘They are among the top environmental law firms in Latin America.’
‘Márcio Pereira is, by far, the best in this area. His team is equally committed and capable of handling complex and sensitive matters.’
‘Márcio is a standout partner. He knows the mining and energy industry from within. His team, composed by Beatriz, Yuri and Luis Marcelo, is also outstanding and capable of dealing with large and complex issues, from consulting to litigation.’
‘Beatriz Frontin and Márcio Pereira are really business oriented lawyers.’
Lorinvest Gestão de Recursos
Hankoe Fundo de Investimento em Participações – Multiestratégia Investimento no Exterior
J Malucelli Group
Ciclus Ambiental do Brasil
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
We Trust in Sunlight Energia renovável e Participações
Janus Brasil Participações
- Advising Instituto BioAtlântico (Grupo Lorinvest) on issues related to an agreement with Instituto Mineiro de Gestão de Águas and Agência Nacional de Águas to manage Rio Doce Basin and its hydric resources.
- Represents Ciclus Ambiental do Brasil in three public civil actions filed by state public prosecutors on allegations of default on the operation of a waste management system.
- Assists Constructora Queiroz Galvão in all environmental issues regarding its construction works and defends the company against administrative penalties regarding the Tamoios Highway improvement.
Standing out for its expertise in waste management, Felsberg Advogados assists clients from the pharmaceutical and electronic equipment industries with nationwide product take-back agreements and class actions pertaining to packaging take-back regulations. Other clients come from a variety of sectors, including agribusiness, sanitation, technology and energy, to name a few. Fabricio Soler, who has a background in environmental, waste, infrastructure and energy law, heads the department.
‘This team is particularly skilled in tackling environmental challenges in a way that is both legally compliant and enterprise friendly at the same time.’
‘Fabricio Soler’s energy and client-focused approach at all times gives us a unique combination of good advice and dependability.’
‘The team is very experienced and knowledgeable. All its members, no matter the seniority, are able to provide quick, direct and effective responses to my questions. They also make themselves available and are truly supportive.’
‘They always analyse the cases in a precise manner, pointing out the risks and seeking for practical solutions. Their advice is very helpful in all situations.’
‘Good and up to date overview of new policies regarding environmental law.’
‘Fabricio Soler stands out for his expertise regarding waste management and other environmental policies.’
ABREE – Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
ELETROS – Associação Nacional de Fabricantes de Produtos Eletroeletrônicos
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
ABPA – Associação Brasileira de Proteína Animal
ABITRIGO – Associação Brasileira da Indústria do Trigo
ABIAD – Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Alimentos para Fins Especiais e Congêneres
ABICAB – Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Chocolates, Amendoim e Balas
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Dart Container Corporation
ABIHPEC – Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Higiene Pessoal, Perfumaria e Cosméticos
SELURB – Sindicato Nacional das Empresas de Limpeza Urbana
ABLP – Associação Brasileira de Resíduos Sólidos e Limpeza Pública
ABETRE – Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Tratamento de Resíduos e Efluentes
- Assisted Dell, ELETROS, ABREE, Samsung and Whirlpool in negotiating with the Ministry of Environment the execution of a nationwide agreement for the take-back of end-of-life electrical and electronic equipment.
- Representing three leading associations in the waste management sector as amici curiae in an appeal on the financing of sanitation and waste management services, which will define the constitutionality of delegating home waste collection and removal services through concessions.
- Advises Brazilian meat processing company JBS on all environmental regulatory matters that may affect its business in the country.
Gasparini, De Cresci e Nogueira de Lima Advogados has particular strength in environmental due diligence in relation to transactions taking place in sectors with a high potential for environmental impact and liabilities, including mining, energy and forestry. Representing clients in judicial and administrative proceedings, including conduct adjustment agreements, also feature on the team's caseload. Complex litigation involving pollution and contaminated and protected areas are some of Heloísa Verri Paulino Gomes's key specialisms.
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Mosaic Fertilizantes P&K
Atlas Copco Brasil
Grupo Camargo Correa Infra
Antônio Luiz Xavier Bannwart
Froneri Brasil Distribuidora de Sorvetes e Congelados
- Defending Agrovia in administrative and judicial proceedings filed by Companhia Ambiental do Estado de São Paulo related to an environmental accident involving a fire at Agrovia’s premises.
- Represented Cogna Educacional in civil investigations launched by the Public Prosecutor’s Office related to old environmental contamination caused by former industries that developed polluting activities.
- Retained by Atlas Copco Brasil to assist on an administrative proceeding regarding reverse logistics of used lubricant oils.
Stretching across the entire country, Siqueira Castro – Advogados has a broad office network and an equally broad service offering in the field of environmental law. Advice covers judicial litigation and administrative proceedings, with a special emphasis on environmental licensing issues. Energy and infrastructure are key sectors for Simone Paschoal Nogueira, who, besides contentious matters, is proficient in environmental risk analysis and regulatory issues. Marina Vieira Freire Colósio has in-depth knowledge in biodiversity and environmental law.
‘The concern with the global care of the client’s interests is what makes the firm stand out.’
‘The team is extremely committed.’
Enel – AES Eletropaulo
Localiza Rent a Car
DP World Santos
White Martins Gases Industriais
- Provides legal assistance to AES TIETÊ ENERGIA, with environmental proceedings regarding several environmental issues, including dam safety regulations and vegetation suppression around transmission energy lines.
- Assists BRK with environmental proceedings before the state public prosecutor, as well as environmental agencies and municipalities, regarding several environmental issues, especially water supply systems and sewage treatment.
- Represents ENEL DISTRIBUIÇÃO SÃO PAULO in environmental proceedings before public prosecutors, as well as environmental agencies and municipalities, regarding several environmental issues.
Entirely devoted to environmental law, Tabet Advogados fields a specialised team of lawyers who provide legal support to clients in relation to regulatory matters and litigation. Crisis management in relation to environmental accidents is another area of expertise. Fernando Tabet is the key contact in the team. Ana Claudia Franco recently left the firm.
The environment team at Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper is particularly sought after to assist in litigation, at both the judicial and administrative levels. Other areas of activity include environmental risk assessment and crisis management; the practice is also experienced at advising on the new Forest Code. Theo Keiserman de Abreu leads the practice and is often retained by clients from the infrastructure, energy and real estate sectors. Terence Trennepohl left the team to establish his own firm.
Grupo Big Brasil
Sony Interactive Entertainment do Brasil Comércio e Serviços de Marketing
Linhas de Macapá Transmissora de Energia
- Representing Votorantim Cimentos in several lawsuits and administrative proceedings filed against the client by the regulators in charge of environmental matters.
- Representing Linhas de Macapá in an environmental administrative proceeding before the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation, related to the alleged lack of environmental authorisation for the development of a potentially polluting activity.
Demonstrating longstanding experience in forestry management and in the timber industry, KLA Advogados combines environmental and public law expertise, and assists clients with due diligence of rural properties, land use issues and environmental licensing. Handling administrative proceedings before environmental agencies and authorities and judicial litigation are other areas of focus for the practice. Co-head Paulo Prado has experience in class actions pertaining to environmental issues, while co-leader Leticia Marques is proficient in contaminated and protected area management, as well as biodiversity conservation.
‘The team is very accessible, open to discuss ideas and fees. We always have great support and access to “help desk” calls.’
‘Paulo Prado is an excellent lawyer and delivers great advice.’
Suzano Papel e Celulose
- Conducted legal due diligence on behalf of Suzano Papel e Celulose in relation to an agreement with Duratex to acquire certain real estate assets, having analysed all environmental issues pertaining to the forests and environmental obligations.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
The environment practice at Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados advises on environmental liabilities and on the mitigation of risks concerning mining, water resources, climate change, contaminated areas and solid waste, among other areas. The team also has strength in environmental due diligence in connection with M&A transactions. Practice head Thiago Pastor is experienced in administrative litigation.
Kinross Brasil Mineração
FCA – Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
ADM do Brasil
- Representing Kinross Brasil Mineração in a strategic analysis and negotiation concerning the regularisation of its activities of gold mineral exploration at Paracatu in the State of Minas Gerais.
- Assists Mosaic Fertilizantes in the environmental regularisation of activities concerning fertilisers and the chemical industry.
Porto Alegre-based Souto Correa Advogados acts for clients operating in a range of industries, including pulp and paper, energy, forestry, real estate, aviation and retail, in non-contentious matters and environmental litigation. The team is regularly instructed to perform legal conformity audits and due diligence in relation to transactions. Fabiana Figueiró leads the department and is recommended, as is Juliana Pretto Stangherlin.
‘The team at Souto Correia is highly skilled. Besides the strong technical background, they also deeply understand environmental authorities, supporting our actions and reactions under an unfavourable scenario.’
‘Excellent and dedicated team with deep knowledge of the legislation. The work delivered is outstanding and above expectations.’
‘Fabiana Figueiró is an outstanding and dedicated lawyer whose work has changed the course of our most important cases in the company. She is always available and the work rendered is excellent together with her colleague Juliana Pretto.’
Timac Agro Brasil
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Refinaria de Petróleo Riograndense
Habitasul Empreendimentos Imobiliários
- Assists Via Varejo in administrative procedures, civil inquiries and negotiations with public authorities regarding the national policy on solid waste management.
- Providing legal advice to Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia in cases involving the rules applicable to maritime and land transport of batteries.
Combining public and administrative law expertise with litigation experience, Almeida Advogados provides strategic assistance to clients in relation to environmental licensing, civil investigations and public prosecutions. The team has a strong track record in waste management (particularly regarding reverse logistics), as well as advisory experience regarding the environmental aspects of infrastructure projects, particularly in the agribusiness, mining and tourism sectors. The practice is led by André de Almeida and Rafael Zinato Moreira; however, since publication, fellow former-co-head Leonardo Palhares has moved to international firm Kobre & Kim.
‘The team has a very high technical maturity and is greatly committed to achieving the best results on behalf of clients.’
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
Companhia Fabril Mascarenhas
Bom Negócio Atividades de Internet
HAZTEC Tecnologia e Planejamento Ambiental
Ate IV – São Mateus Transmissora de Energia
Foxx URE BA
- Filed a lawsuit on behalf of Stericycle Gestão Ambiental to challenge the constitutionality of a law that prevents the entry of toxic and radioactive waste into Brasília, if it was generated in other states, for environmental management.
Domestic and international clients seek Azevedo Sette Advogados's advice on a variety of environmental matters, ranging from environmental licensing, remediation issues, environmental accidents and water use permits. The team also has experience in negotiations with the public prosecution office and environmental agencies, assisting clients with administrative and judicial litigation. Svetlana Maria de Miranda is the name to note.
The environmental team at Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados has a proven track record in performing environmental due diligence in connection to M&A, financing and capital markets transactions. In addition, the practice handles environmental lawsuits and administrative proceedings, liaising with environmental agencies on behalf of clients from the oil and gas, mining, biofuels, ports and energy sectors. Practice co-head Rebeca Stefanini Pavlovsky has in-depth knowledge of lenders' liability and suppression of special vegetation. Marcelo Mendo and Maurício Pellegrino de Souza co-ordinate the team in Belo Horizonte alongside Pavlovsky in São Paulo.
‘The team has great knowledge and knows how to apply it to the daily lives of companies.’
‘Maurício Pellegrino has great knowledge and is always friendly and available.’
RUMO Malha Sul
RUMO Malha Paulista
Sany Indústria do Brasil
Usina Açucareira Ester
- Advising and defending Localiza Rent a Car and Locapar Participações e Administração in a civil class action initiated by the Public Prosecutor’s Office alleging irregularities in the environmental licensing of an enterprise in Belo Horizonte.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados' environment group not only offers legal consultancy on environmental issues, but is also skilled in handling judicial and administrative proceedings. Leading the practice is Renata Castanho, who has more than two decades of experience in the field of environmental law.
‘Their professionalism, expertise and knowledge makes the firm stand out in the market.’
‘They anticipate the needs of the client, understand its business and provide practical advice.’
‘Renata Pires Castanho is an excellent lawyer.’
‘The team is always available.’
Volkswagen do Brasil – Indústria de Veículos Automotores
USIMINAS – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais
IFF – International Flavours and Fragrances
ABAL – Associação Brasileira de Alumínio
- Provided assistance to ABAL (the Brazilian Aluminium Association) in the planning and structuring of solid residues plan, including the reverse logistics system for the aluminium industry.
Focusing on regulatory and administrative law, Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados' environment team draws upon the firm's leading position in the public law sphere to advise on environmental issues concerning different phases of project modelling. Practice head Wladimir Antonio Ribeiro is an expert in the field of sanitation and waste management.
‘The team has excellent technical knowledge and offers feasible solutions.’
‘Wladimir Antonio Ribeiro and Ane Peres are recommended for their relevant technical capacity, fast response and availability.’
Águas do Brasil
FNP (Frente Nacional de Prefeitos)
Águas do Mirante
- Defended Águas do Brasil in an action that resulted in the signing of a conduct adjustment agreement related to the breaking of a dam in Brumadinho.
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados' environment and sustainability group provides legal services in the areas of water resources, sanitation, climate change and sustainability. Typical instructions include advising on environmental licensing of ventures in the energy, oil and gas, waste management, infrastructure and agribusiness sectors, and conducting environmental impact assessments and assisting with compliance issues. Founding partners Paulo Valois Pires and Rogério Sobral de Miranda oversee the department alongside Anna Paula Barbosa de Carvalho Góes, who specialises in environmental law, bringing to the table substantial experience in civil ligation.
- Providing legal assistance to Schlumberger Serviços de Petróleo/Westerngeco Serviços de Sísmica in various environmental regulatory matters, defence of infraction notices and general information and advice in relation to IBAMA’s conversion of fine programmes.
The environmental team at Stocche Forbes Advogados is often sought after to assist with environmental legal due diligence in the context of capital markets, M&A, infrastructure and real estate transactions. Acting for clients from the financial sector in relation to risk assessment of environmental liabilities is a particular area of strength. Other typical mandates include environmental licensing of renewable energy projects. Illustrating its investment in this practice, the firm promoted practice head Caroline Dihl Prolo to partner; she is proficient in climate change issues.
‘The environmental team is really engaged in sustainability. They participate in many initiatives and projects and support development of materials and content focused on ESG.’
Pátria Brazilian Private Equity Fund
Cubico do Brasil
Terra Santa Agro
Instituto Clima e Sociedade
- Advised Votorantim Siderúrgica in a class action for the clean-up and compensation of environmental damages caused in relation to potentially contaminated sites within one of its plants.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados handles civil, administrative and criminal environmental litigation and advises clients operating in a range of sectors, including steel, fuel distribution and chemical industry, on environmental liabilities. The team also offers regulatory advice in the fields of biotechnology, food, agribusiness and product safety. Leading the department is Anderson Moura, whose experience covers environmental risk assessments in the context of corporate transactions and projects, compliance and litigation.