Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados has successfully established a leading reputation in various practice areas in Brazil, and its compliance and corporate ethics department is no exception. Retained by household name companies for assistance in high-profile investigations, leniency agreement negotiations and corporate crisis management, the department balances a broad and busy workload in the area of compliance. Of particular note is the full-service firm’s coverage of a multitude of practice areas; in investigations, this means the team is able to assist in probes involving allegations of employee misconduct, sexual and moral harassment, environmental law violations and personal data and cybersecurity breaches. Thiago Jabor Pinheiro‘s broad anti-corruption expertise sees him regularly advising on internal and government investigations and enforcement; Renato Tastardi Portella draws on over 25 years of experience and advises on corporate governance, anti-corruption compliance, government investigations and enforcement; and Kevin Michael Altit has vast expertise in crisis management, where he acts for well-known public and private companies. Other active members of the team include compliance, IT and public law specialist Thiago Luís Sombra, associate Luiza Mussoi Cattley, and Marcel Alberge Ribas, who was promoted to partner in April 2021.
Compliance in Brazil
‘Ability to adapt and understand the client’s business processes. Elements: 1) Excellence of professionals in tax matters; 2) internal governance structure; business ethics.’
- Represents Keppel before the Brazilian authorities, including in connection with the performance of leniency obligations.
- Retained by Vale’s Extraordinary Independent Consulting Committee for Support and Recovery to provide legal advice in connection with the failure of Dam I of the Córrego do Feijão iron ore mine in Brumadinho.
- Provided compliance and legal assistance to Facebook in several matters, including a criminal investigation before the Brazilian Federal Supreme Court and parliamentary inquiry committees with potential criminal and regulatory consequences before the Brazilian Congress and the São Paulo State House of Representative.
At the forefront of the compliance market in Brazil, TozziniFreire Advogados fields a team with 'international experience and good relationships with clients', which stands out for its 'immense experience in internal investigations and compliance'. The firm was among the first in Brazil to focus on compliance, and its longstanding experience combined with its consistent involvement in high-profile and sensitive matters ensure that the firm maintains its leading position in this field. Also of note is the compliance department's integration with other practices of the firm, allowing the team to cover compliance, competition and public law. Practice head Shin Jae Kim - who is also a member of the firm's executive committee - specialises in internal investigations, crisis management and corporate governance and 'lives up to her excellent reputation'. Renata Muzzi Gomes de Almeida and Giovanni Paolo Falcetta have vast experience acting for companies, boards of directors and independent committees in preventing, identifying and resolving compliance and anti-corruption matters, and Karla Lini Maeji stands out for her role in advising foreign listed companies in cross-border investigations and criminal enforcement. The team's experience also extends to its associates, with Fábio Heilberg and Lais Cury receiving particular praise.
Shin Jae Kim
‘Immense experience in internal investigations and compliance, lawyers with international experience and good relationships with clients.’
‘Shin Jae Kim: She stands out for her seniority, acts with great zeal and responsibility, living up to her excellent reputation. Fabio Heilberg: He is very detailed and diligent, he conducts the work as a partner and owner of the project, having excellent communication with the client.’
‘Very strong team; very focused on compliance.’
‘Fabio Heilberg, Giovanni Falcetta, Renata Muzzi, Shin Jae Kin, Karla Maeji and Lais Cury are recommended.’
‘Giovanni Falcetta and Shin Jae Kim are the leaders of the team. They have good connections and deep knowledge.’
- Conducting an extensive internal investigation for a client triggered by a government investigation (Operação Tira Teima).
Azevedo Sette Advogados' compliance practice benefits from the strong reputation and knowledge of key partner Isabel Franco, who has extensive experience in anti-corruption and compliance. The team also draws on the expertise of Glaucia Ferreira, who has notable experience in conducting sensitive investigations and due diligence reports, and Luiz Eduardo Salles, whose broad practice spans economic law, international trade and compliance. The team is regularly sought for assistance in internal investigations, corporate crisis management, integrity due diligence processes and compliance training by its client base of Brazilian and international companies operating in a broad range of sectors. Ingrid Bandeira Santos, Lucas Mandelbaum Bianchini and Giuliana Sampaio Alves Mascari Bonilha are key contacts at the associate level.
Isabel Franco; Glaucia Ferreira; Luiz Eduardo Salles
Santo Antonio Energia
Movile Brasil Holding
American Tower Corporation
- Retained by Santo Antonio Energia with a continuous and exclusive contract to conduct several integrity due diligence reports regarding certain third parties relating to the client.
- Retained by Movile to conduct several integrity due diligence reports regarding certain senior executives and shareholders (individuals) of target companies.
- Advised a major multinational client on its existing compliance policies and documents in light of the Brazilian federal and state legislation in force.
The 'highly specialised' compliance team at Demarest Advogados receives praise for its 'very strong focus on solving the problems of clients'. The firm's investment in the compliance area through the hire of Eloy Rizzo ('one of the most complete professionals in the compliance market') and a team in 2019 has proved a success; the team continues to attract new clients - including household name Brazilian and international companies - and is regularly involved in sensitive and complex investigations. Beyond internal investigations, the team is also equipped to advise on day-to-day compliance matters, training, and the compliance aspects of M&A transactions. Carlo Verona, who has experience in international investigations involving the FCPA, UK Bribery Act and international enforcement, and associate Victoria Arcos also receive praise. Senior associate André Luis Leme is another key member of the team.
Eloy Rizzo Neto; Carlo Verona
‘Demarest has a highly specialised team with seniority to serve clients. In addition, they are always available and have a very strong focus on solving the problems of clients.’
‘Eloy is basically one of the most complete professionals in the compliance market – he has knowledge, experience and leads his team like no one else. This makes the work environment much more relaxed and light.’
‘It is a good team, in a growth phase. The team leader, Eloy Rizzo, is experienced, very helpful. It is easy to deal with.’
‘Eloy Rizzo was one of the first professionals in the area when he started to develop in Brazil. I have worked with Eloy and his team on several occasions and my conclusion is that they are excellent in the area.’
‘Eloy Rizzo, Fabyola Rodrigues and Carlo Verona are recommended.’
‘Eloy Rizzo leads the team with competence, sobriety and deep knowledge.’
‘The area of compliance that Eloy is responsible for is incredible and he is exceptional.’
‘Eloy Rizzo and Victoria Arcos are recommended.’
CBMM – Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração
Oracle do Brasil Sistemas Ltda.
Santos Brasil Participações
DIDI – 99 Tecnologia
- Retained by EcoRodovias to provide legal and compliance advice in connection with an independent monitorship.
- Retained by CBMM to advise on compliance and governance issues involving risk analysis from the compliance/anti-corruption standpoint and internal investigations.
- Retained by Braskem to prepare a legal opinion determining whom, within Brazilian legislation, would be considered a Politically Exposed Person.
Maeda, Ayres e Sarubbi Advogados
'Highly specialised' compliance, investigations and government enforcement boutique Maeda, Ayres e Sarubbi Advogados has quickly established a good reputation in the market. Its well-known and experienced founding partners have longstanding expertise in compliance and as such have been involved in some of the most complex corruption and money laundering cases in Brazil. In a recent highlight, Bruno Maeda, Carlos Ayres and a team were retained by Vale to conduct an independent investigation related to the Brumadinho dam collapse. Erica Sarubbi is 'a skilled investigator and gifted strategic thinker'. Fernanda Bidlovsky has developed a strong practice in internal investigations. Several of the firm's associates have recent experience in exchanges with international firms in the US, including Bruno Pandini.
Bruno Maeda; Carlos Ayres; Erica Sarubbi
‘MAS is unique in the marketplace given its singular focus on investigations and compliance matters. The team is highly specialised. I am impressed both by the partners and the associates.’
‘Erica Sarubbi is truly outstanding. She is a skilled investigator and gifted strategic thinker. I greatly enjoy collaborating with her.’
- Retained by Vale to conduct an internal investigation related to the collapse of the Brumadinho dam.
- Acted as part of the team that concluded an external monitorship of Odebrecht’s compliance programme and internal controls.
- Assisted the legal team of the independent monitor appointed by US authorities for Volkswagen.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados fields a sizeable and well-regarded compliance and corporate crimes team. The department particularly stands out for its experience in leniency agreements, and has also developed a strong practice in high-stakes investigations, where it regularly acts for leading companies operating in a broad range of industries. Improbity lawsuits are another area of specialism. As part of one of Brazil's largest law firms, the compliance team also benefits from its cross-departmental work with colleagues in M&A, capital markets and white-collar criminal law, and as such is equipped to advise on the compliance aspects of M&A and due diligence processes, among other areas. Key names in the department include anti-corruption, compliance and competition expert José Alexandre Buaiz Neto, public law and corporate compliance specialist Ricardo Pagliari Levy, litigator Vicente Coelho Araujo, white-collar criminal defence partner Mário Panseri Ferreira, and Daniel Costa Rebello, who has taken leading roles in major investigations and compliance due diligence.
‘The office stands out for the exceptional professionalism with which it conducts its activities. The office has a high level of competence and good service regardless of the partner or associate, always with a great deal of availability for care and a lot of knowledge of the cases given to their care.’
‘In the area of compliance, in particular, we have excellent experience with partners Bianca Pumar and Daniel Rebello.’
- Advogados advised EcoCarataras and Ecovia (from EcoRodovias Group) in the negotiation and execution of a leniency agreement with the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPF) in the state of Paraná.
- Assists Sugoi in an improbity lawsuit in which the company is being accused of harming the public treasury through agreements entered into with the municipality of Paulínia to develop an area.
- Assisting TÜV SÜD in its internal investigation into the certification of tailing dams in connection with the Brumadinho dam break that occurred in January 2019.
Among the leading compliance boutique firms in the market, Saud Advogados is a popular choice for major Brazilian and multinational companies operating in a broad range of sectors. Among its recent standouts was its representation of TechnipFMC in its $301.3m foreign bribery settlement with the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Brazilian authorities. Other busy areas of work for the department include providing advice on compliance programmes and risk assessments, and handling complex internal investigations. 'Excellent professional' Salim Jorge Saud Neto leads the team, which also has significant strength in compliance-related litigation and arbitration, and which benefits from the firm's association with international firm Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP. Key associates in the team include Caroline Rosa, Ana Carolina Chaves and Luís Gustavo Vagos.
Salim Jorge Saud Neto
‘The office, in addition to having expertise in the field, has professionals who are constantly seeking more qualifications. This is a differential because it always makes them able to provide a quality service based on trends.’
‘Our relationship is direct with the partner, Salim Saud. He is an excellent professional with the ability to interact freely with different types of professionals, which demonstrates his ability to communicate.’
Mubadala Development Company
Souza Cruz, a BAT Company
Helix Energy Group Solutions
- Assisted TechnipFMC in the first global settlement involving Brazilian and US authorities and subsequent reporting obligations.
- Assisted BAT Group in connection with several aspects of its compliance programme, from more complex due diligence to day-to-day advice.
- Successfully represented a former director of SESC in an administrative proceeding launched by the Brazilian Federal Court of Accounts (TCU), reducing the fine proposed by TCU’s technical unit from R$60m to R$10,000.
The 'knowledgeable, thoughtful and strategic' team at Tauil & Chequer Advogados is 'proactive in identifying issues in advance and providing solutions'. The anti-corruption and compliance department is well versed in cross-border investigations, where it benefits from its international office network and experience. Domestic investigations also feature on the team's broad workload, as do administrative proceedings and compliance advisory work. Michel Sancovski has substantial experience in coordinating complex investigations; he co-heads the practice alongside former attorney general Luis Inácio Lucena Adams, who brings his extensive public-sector expertise to the team. Also of note are the department's experienced associates, including Maria Eugenia Kanazawa, who specialises in anti-corruption, tax and customs, and Liliana Mascarenhas Coutinho, who is qualified in Brazil and New York.
Luis Adams; Michel Sancovski
‘Tauil & Checker Advogados has excellent technical quality, always updated, available and with prompt service.’
‘The team is knowledgeable, thoughtful, and strategic. They are proactive in identifying issues in advance and providing solutions. The team is responsive and collaborates well.’
‘Michel Sancovski did an excellent job leading the team. He was thoughtful, proactive, communicated effectively, and worked efficiently. Maria Eugenia Kanazawa efficiently led the document review team and learned the subject matter thoroughly. Both were very responsive.’
‘Dr. Luis Inácio Lucena Adams – availability, professionalism, high technical quality and credibility.’
Karoon Petróleo e Gás
Vantage Drilling International
- Conducted a large internal investigation into a Brazilian company in the energy industry for potential irregularities, including over 50 custodians and interactions with several local and foreign authorities.
- Assisting Karoon Petróleo & Gás in the review and amendment of its anti-bribery and corruption policy and of its training materials from a Brazilian legal perspective, as well as providing two training sessions to employees in Brazil.
- Providing legal advice to Vantage Drilling International (VDI) in an administrative improbity lawsuit in the context of Operation Car Wash.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão maintains a varied compliance practice, regularly advising clients on corporate investigations, risk analyses and training. Administrative and judicial proceedings and asset recovery are also key areas of specialism for the team, which has recently acted for a range of new and longstanding clients. The multi-disciplinary team includes finance and corporate ethics specialist Anna Carolina de Oliveira Malta, José Guilherme Berman, who focuses on infrastructure and regulatory matters, and seasoned litigator André Macedo de Oliveira. The team also benefits from an experienced pool of associates, including Camila Cuschnir, Luis Marcelo Abdalla Jaued and João Bonvicino. In a significant development in June 2021, the practice received an additional boost with the arrival of compliance and criminal law expert Bernardo Weaver.
José Guilherme Berman; Anna Carolina Malta Spilborghs; André Macedo de Oliveira
Carioca Christiani-Nielsen Engenharia
Jerônimo da Veiga Empreendimentos e Participações
RH Net Telecomunicações
The Hertz Corporation
Lanxess Indústria de Produtos Químicos e Plásticos
DOF Subsea Brasil Serviços
Orquestra Sinfônica Brasileira – OSB
Associação Nacional dos Exportadores de Sucos Cítricos – CitrusBR
- Defended CBPO in an administrative improbity lawsuit concerning the construction works for integration of lines 1 and 4 of Rio de Janeiro metro system.
- Handles the defense of Litografia Valença, which operates in steel processing and metal packaging industries, in an administrative improbity lawsuit.
- Handling the defense of RH Net Telecomunicações and its managing partner in a lawsuit filed by Brazilian Federal Prosecution service concerning environmental crimes.
Highlighted for its ‘great availability, innovative ideas, punctual delivery and prompt help‘, Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper covers the gamut of compliance services. Its client base is equally broad, including companies operating across the construction, energy, technology and life sciences sectors, among others. Recent mandates keeping the team busy include sensitive internal investigations triggered by allegations via company hotlines. Practice head Ricardo Caiado Lima has notable experience in compliance audits and integrity due diligence, as well as corporate investigations and criminal litigation. He and senior associate Ana Júlia Andrade Vaz de Lima and associate André Lacerda Sampaio Ferraz are praised as ‘excellent, attentive and studious‘. Data protection specialist Paula Mena Barreto and associate Poliana Szernek are also noted. The firm was given a further boost in August 2021 with the arrival of compliance, white-collar criminal law and cybersecurity expert Antonio Tovo from Souto Correa Advogados.
‘Deep technical knowledge, quick response and support, effective suggestions for solutions and implementations necessary to solve problems.’
‘Ricardo Caiado is a lawyer with deep knowledge of compliance, which gives the client an amplified view of the situation – especially in cases of exposure to bribery, corruption and other complex situations.’
‘Ricardo and his team support as a trusted advisor, offering and delivering to the client an effective solution – not necessarily the most profitable – which, in the long run, generates a relationship of trust.’
‘The quality of the service provided is well above what we see in the market as a whole, the team is of the highest quality, with great availability, innovative ideas, punctual delivery and prompt help whenever we need it.‘
‘Ricardo Caiado, Ana Julia Andrade Vaz de Lima and Andre Sampaio Lacerda Ferraz, are excellent, attentive, studious, who give us a lot of comfort with the topics discussed related to compliance.’
‘Ricardo Caiado: deep knowledge of the subject, highly qualified team, availability in accordance with the urgency of the business and deep knowledge in the opinions offered on the most diverse compliance dilemmas. Paula Mena Barreto in Data Privacy: professional with excellent knowledge of Brazilian law and international equivalent, has a highly qualified team. In the service provided, the partner has always remained close to the project, directly supporting and providing innovative and quick solutions.’
‘Ricardo Caiado Lima and Poliana Szernek are recommended.’
Cescon Barrieu stands out for its comprehensive expertise in compliance programmes and risk assessments, and receives plaudits for its 'flawless work'. In investigations, the full-service firm is able to field a multi-disciplinary team, covering compliance, criminal, competition, labour and data protection law. The firm's commitment to pro bono and corporate social responsibility is another key feature of its practice, with one client commenting that 'its greatest innovation is the understanding of social responsibility as an important factor in its work'. The team is jointly led by compliance and white-collar criminal law expert Yuri Sahione and Luciano Inácio de Souza, who has vast experience advising Brazilian and international clients on anti-corruption and anti-money laundering programmes and investigations.
Luciano Inácio de Souza; Yuri Sahione
‘The Cescon Barrieu team is able to understand exactly the client’s needs and, considering the time we’ve already been working together, places itself as part of the client’s own team, which ensures belonging and accuracy in relation to the client to meet our demands.’
‘Flawless work, has developed our entire compliance programme with excellence.’
‘Dedication and attention from the responsible partner, Yuri Sahione, throughout the work.’
‘I’d highlight Yuri Sahione for the knowledge of the subject and attention given.’
‘In the compliance team, Luciano Inácio de Souza and Natalia Nastri were our contact persons who guided us with a high level and incredible dedication.’
Copagaz Distribuidora de Gás
Naturgy Energy Group
- Provided advice to Attend Ambiental regarding the implementation of its compliance programme, the structuring of its compliance department and public donations during the Covid-19 crisis.
- Assisting Halex Istar Indústria Farmacêutica in conducting a full risk assessment of the company and creating and implementing an effective compliance programme.
- Assisted a client in conducting independent internal investigations of several cases reported in the company’s hotline.
One of the best-known law firms in the Brazilian legal market, Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados acts for leading companies across various sectors, and its compliance department has recently expanded its client base with new clients in the shipping, automotive and arts sectors, among others. With broad coverage in the field of compliance, the team provides assistance in corporate investigations involving corruption, fraud, unfair competition and environmental law violations, government investigations, risk assessments and other corporate compliance and integrity-related matters. Juliana Sá de Miranda's expertise takes in both compliance and white-collar criminal law. The highly regarded Marcos Paulo Veríssimo co-leads the team, which also includes key associate Gabriela Silveira e Viana.
Marcos Paulo Verissimo; Juliana Sá de Miranda
‘Extremely careful service. They knew how to search for and address the issues of compliance concern.’
‘The office manages to transmit the positions with a lot of strategy and technique.’
‘Marcos Verissimo and Gabriela Viana are recommended.’
Scania do Brasil
Instituto Tomie Ohtake
- Assisted Ouro Verde Locação e Serviço with the negotiation of a leniency agreement with the competent authorities.
- Advised a client on the integrity due diligence for the potential acquisition of several energy stations.
- Assisting Ecorodovias in the context of internal investigations and agreement negotiations with state authorities.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe has longstanding experience in FCPA and anti-corruption cases, and is regularly engaged by major Brazilian and multinational clients for advice on ESG matters. Domestic and multi-jurisdictional internal investigations are a particular strength for the firm, which is able to leverage its extensive office network, and the team also stands out for its advice on leniency agreements. Recently, the team has also been active in compliance due diligence in the context of M&A. Heloísa Barroso Uelze is equipped to advise on a range of public law, government relations and regulatory matters; she co-leads the compliance department alongside Felipe Ferenzini, who is 'very capable, quick and resourceful'. Fernanda Casagrande and Marlos Gomes are key contacts at the associate level.
Heloísa Barroso Uelze; Felipe Ferenzini
‘Excellent personalised service. Immediate assistance. Troubleshooting with many resources.’
‘Felipe Ferenzini: attentive, very capable, fast, ingenious.’
‘There are partners like Heloisa Uelze and Felipe Ferenzini who are very qualified and experienced. Especially Heloisa Uelze, who has a great qualification in administrative law that always supports and complements compliance activities.’
‘The analytical capacity, the significant volume of work delivered, the cordiality with which they work.’
Suntech do Brasil
Procter and Gamble
Drager Industria e Comercio
State Power Investment Corporation – SPIC
- On behalf of Afya, conducted compliance due diligence in connection with the acquisition of the Medical University of Paraíba.
- Assisted State Power Investment Corporation – SPIC in a large compliance due diligence project for M&A purposes.
- On behalf of Enterprise Holdings, conducted a compliance due diligence for M&A purposes in connection with the corporate operation with Localiza.
Veirano Advogados‘ compliance department remained busy in 2020 and 2021, continuing to receive instructions from longstanding clients as well as attracting new business. The team is regularly involved in corporate investigations related to alleged money laundering, bribery and improper conduct. Other matters keeping the team busy include advising on compliance policies and programmes, and representing clients in administrative proceedings. The department is led by highly experienced partner Rafael Gimenes in the São Paulo office. Clients of the firm benefit from its coverage of both preventative compliance matters and white-collar criminal law, the latter area being handled by well-regarded criminal lawyer Marta Saad. Associate Rodrigo Alves dos Santos also receives praise. Since publication, Mariana Villela left the firm, in November 2021.
‘The office is always available to chat and understand the reality of the business before making any opinion. The opinions are direct and deepened in the correct measure, enough to make a conscious decision but not too detailed to the point of being difficult to understand and analyse. The office is very knowledgeable about legislation and proposes alternatives that match the company’s best interest with the legislation.’
‘Rodrigo da Silva Alves dos Santos stands out. He always works with a lot of partnership and with the necessary agility to meet the demands of the company.’
OEC – Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção
Turismo Três Amigos
- Carried out three sensitive internal investigations at the request of Odebrecht’s board of directors.
- Retained to conduct an independent corporate investigation under a special committee formed by the independent members of the board of directors of Banco BMG.
- Provides advice to Prumo Logística on a regular basis on day-to-day matters regarding compliance, including background checks for third-party hires and consulting services.
In compliance, Warde Advogados fields a team of 'professionals with extensive experience, deep knowledge, availability and willingness to help' and receives plaudits for its 'robust experience and profound technical knowledge'. As a core focus for the firm, the team excels in anti-corruption and compliance matters, and is engaged by clients for assistance in leniency agreement negotiations, compliance programme reviews and implementation, and administrative proceedings. The sizeable team is led by Valdir Moysés Simão, a former Chief Minister of the Federal Comptroller General, who has established a strong reputation in the market, and includes key partner Leandro Daiello Coimbra and highly regarded associate Pedro Henrique Adoglio Benradt. The firm is also noted for its corporate disputes expertise, where Walfrido Jorge Warde Júnior and Renato Polillo are key names.
Valdir Moysés Simão
‘It is a law firm with extensive administrative and judicial experience, whose components operate ethically and with enviable legality. Among all the professionals, I can highlight Doctors Walfrido Warde, Valdir Simões, Caetano and Guilherme for their always proactive and highly technical knowledge.’
‘Professionals with extensive experience, deep knowledge, availability and willingness to help. I’d highlight Leandro Daiello Coimbra and Valdir Moyses Simão.’
‘The office and its team fully understand and update the legal and regulatory market. Highlight Dr. Caetano Vasconcelos, Dr. Valdyr Moises Simao, Dr Leandro Daiello and Dr. Pedro Henrique Benrdat.’
‘The compliance practice is led in by Valdir Simão, one of the greatest experts of anti-corruption legislation and founding partner Walfrido Warde, who has made several implementations to improve compliance policies in companies. This office has become a reference on this topic.’
‘Walfrido Jorge Warde Júnio: notable expertise in corporate disputes and capital markets. Renato Polillo: expertise in corporate disputes and compliance and anti-corruption issues. Rodrigo Jesuíno Bittencourt: expertise in litigation, arbitration, corporate law and capital markets. All with excellence in each area of expertise.’
‘The robust experience and deep technical knowledge of this firm are the differential.’
‘They are highly qualified professionals with dedication and attention. Dr. Valdir Simão and Dr. Leandro Daielo are professionals with feedback, knowledge and experiences both in the public and private sectors that differentiate them from the others. In addition, Dr. Walfrido Jorge has extensive academic experience.’
M. Dias Branco Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos
Banco BTG Pactual
Airbnb Serviços Digitais
- Provides strategic compliance and advisory services to M. Dias Branco Indústria e Comércio de Alimentos consistent with the full implementation of improvements to the company’s new integrity/compliance programme.
- Representing the interests of Mover Participações in the execution of a leniency agreement.
- Provides strategic compliance and legal advisory services to essential medicine provider EMS.
Adriana Dantas Advogados
The ‘nimble and creative problem solvers‘ at Adriana Dantas Advogados are retained by Brazilian and multinational companies for assistance in anti-corruption and compliance matters. In a major highlight, name partner Adriana Dantas was nominated as independent monitor of EcoRodovias by federal prosecutors. She is recommended for her ‘tremendous energy and dedication combined with intelligence and attention to detail‘. Marina Nicolosi is a ‘committed, responsible and highly knowledgeable lawyer in national and international compliance‘.
Adriana Dantas; Marina Nicolosi; Eloísa Gomes
‘Adriana and her team are keenly focused on representing their clients to the best of their ability (which is at a high level) and dig deep in the detail of every issue. They are nimble and creative problem solvers but well versed in applicable law.’
‘Adriana Dantas is a star in the white-collar space both in Brazil and internationally. She has tremendous energy and dedication combined with intelligence and attention to detail. She pulls together complex problems and breaks them down into the basics for her clients in an exceptional way. Adriana finds a way to connect with all of her clients and has the ability to focus completely on the client or individual she is speaking with, no matter how busy her schedule.’
‘Marina Nicolosi marries her in-house compliance and business experience with her strong legal mind and expertise and is extremely organised and like Adriana, has a great command of the issues and details. Together they are formidable as practitioners and lawyers.’
‘Committed office with quality and efficiency.’
‘Adriana Dantas is an exceptional, competent and highly credible lawyer. She has deep knowledge in national and international compliance. Marina Nicolosi is a committed, responsible and highly knowledgeable lawyer in national and international compliance.‘
Tendências Consultoria Integrada
- Appointed to act as independent monitor of EcoRodovias by federal prosecutors.
- Led training sessions at the Global Workshop on Compliance promoted by AB InBev to its global compliance team.
- Advised Tendências Consultoria Integrada on the design and implementation of a robust data protection programme to respond to the requirements of the recently enacted Brazilian Data Protection Law.
Well-regarded partner Bernardo Viana joined Almeida Advogados in October 2020, bringing with him his considerable expertise in compliance and corporate governance. Under Viana's leadership the multi-disciplinary team, which is 'always up to date with new cases and legislation', has attracted instructions from new clients in a diverse mix of sectors, from renewable energy to asset management.
‘What differentiates the office is the partnership with the client and the experience with the topic.‘
‘The innovation is personalised service with the customer.’
‘Bernardo Viana stands out in his own activity and knowledge of the topic. In addition, he has great interpersonal skills.’
‘The team led by Bernardo Viana is different. Their answers are always accurate and technical, which take into account the client’s business need, transforming Bernardo and his team into a true partner, acting almost as an internal resource. The ease with moving through various areas, allows everyone in the company to feel comfortable to address questions to Bernardo and his team.’
‘Always up to date with new cases and legislation.’
Mubadala Development Company
Newpark Drilling Fluids
- Assists DXA Investments, a fund manager, with general compliance advice.
- Provides general compliance advisory services to Mubadala Development Company, including: i) a risk assessment; ii) development of a compliance programme.
- Provides general compliance advisory service to Harmonia Investimentos, including the review of its programme for the prevention of money laundering and terrorism financing as per Central Bank and CVM regulations.
Dias Carneiro Advogados' compliance team acts for a diverse mix of clients operating in the logistics, life sciences and financial services sectors, among others. Practice head Joyce Ruiz Rodrigues Alves specialises in both compliance and competition, making her well placed to advise on the anti-corruption and antitrust aspects involved in public bid procedures, in addition to handling crisis management, compliance programmes and corporate investigations. Counsel Andrea de Sousa Machado is regularly involved in the department's key mandates, as is labour and social security expert André de Melo Ribeiro.
Joyce Ruiz Rodrigues Alves
Ciena Communications Brasil
CIFI – Corporacion Interamericana para el Financiamento de Infraestrutura
Companhia Melhoramentos de São Paulo
Cristália Produtos Químicos Farmacêuticos
GLP Brasil Empreendimentos e Participações
Inter American Development Bank
Full Truck Alliance
Google Pagamentos Brasil
- Provided advice to Google Pagamentos relating to the review and implementation of internal policies.
- Advised Tok&Stok in relation to internal corporate investigations.
- Provided advice relating to Cristália Produtos Químicos on compliance with public procument law, donations due to the Covid-19 pandemic and supply of pharmaceuticals used to treat Covid-19 required by the Brazilian government.
KLA Advogados' compliance team is 'formed by professionals who have experience in both the legal and consultancy fields', which 'brings customers a unique and very complete experience'. Its broad service offering in this field covers investigations, risk assessments, compliance training, due diligence and general consultancy in anti-corruption matters. Co-practice head Filipe Magliarelli combines his experience in police investigations, criminal proceedings and administrative procedures with his additional specialism in compliance. Catarina Rattes receives strong praise; she co-leads the department with Magliarelli and also coordinates the firm's pro bono practice.
Filipe Magliarelli; Catarina Rattes
‘KLA demonstrates a lot of flexibility in customer service, they are always willing to roll up their sleeves and work as much as is necessary for the customer to be satisfied, the team has a lot of energy and good spirits.‘
‘The compliance team is formed by professionals who have experience in both the legal and consultancy fields and this brings customers a unique and very complete experience.‘
‘Catarina Rattes leads the team like no one else, always friendly and willing to support the client in the most difficult moments.’
Highlighted for its 'strong performance in cross-border matters', Lefosse Advogados fields an experienced team of compliance and anti-corruption experts; the firm's investment in its compliance practice is illustrated by the hire of senior associate Astrid Lima Rocha and the promotion of Juliana Daniel to partner in 2020. In a further demonstration of its growth, the team has recently expanded its client base with several new client wins. The compliance team works in an integrated manner with the firm's specialists in antitrust, public law, white-collar crime and labour, among others, allowing it to provide a broad service. José Carlos Berardo, whose specialisms include competition and compliance, and corporate criminal law expert Ludmila Groch also receive praise.
Juliana Daniel; José Carlos Berardo; Ludmila Groch
‘The staff is excellent, especially after the hiring of Ludmila Grosch. I worked on several cases with Lefosse and in all of them I was impressed with the service.’
‘Office with great performance before clients on diversity issues.’
‘Strong performance in cross-border matters and an excellent level of English.’
‘José Carlos Berardo (Zeca) is practical, and shows not only enough knowledge in the matter but also an interest in addressing the issues that reach him.’
‘I would say that Lefosse’s competitive team presents a differentiator, which is that of having Zeca in the lead.’
‘Ludmila Grosch and Juliana Maia Daniel are recommended.’
Carioca Christiani Nielsen Engenharia
Allpark Empreendimentos, Participações e Serviços
- Acts as counsel to Carioca Christiani Nielsen Engenharia on the negotiation of several collaboration agreements in cartel investigations relating to Operação Lava Jato.
- Provided advice to Grupo GPS on the improvement of its compliance program, coordinated with the development and implementation of a data protection programme.
- Acts as counsel to Triple Play in the development of the company’s anti-corruption, ethics and integrity compliance programme.
Peixoto e Cury Advogados stands out for its specialism in the advertising and media sectors; clients in these fields regularly turn to the firm for assistance in compliance matters, including compliance training, internal investigations and corporate ethics programmes. A number of the firm's partners are active in compliance, with names to note including corporate and compliance expert José Ricardo de Bastos Martins and Claudia Soares Garcia, who is regularly sought by clients for her specialisms in corporate, compliance, antitrust and regulatory issues.
José Ricardo de Bastos Martins; Rafael Villac Vicente de Carvalho; Renato Oliveira Valença; Claudia Soares Garcia
The Interpublic Group of Companies
Owens-Illinois do Brasil Indústria e Comércio
CPFL – Cia Paulista
Vivante and Vivante Serviços de Facilities
Saint Gobain Abrasivos
Construcap CCPS Engenharia e Comercio
Allfood Importação, Indústria e Comércio
Bbrands Holding Participações
MSA Do Brasil Equipamentos E Instrumentos Segurança
- Assisted The Interpublic Group of Companies on monitoring a leniency agreement .
- Advised The Interpublic Group of Companies on the improvement of its compliance programme in order to comply with the leniency agreement.
- Provided comprehensive compliance training to DPZ&T in collaboration with the firm’s public law department.
The compliance department at Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados benefits from the firm's association with Dentons, which gives it enhanced visibility and capability to handle cross-border matters. Under the leadership of the highly experienced Denise Chachamovitz Leão de Salles, the team acts for a range of companies in the healthcare, infrastructure and oil and gas sectors, among others, in compliance due diligence and background checks, internal investigations and negotiations with the authorities. The firm offers clients a range of technological tools, including the Global Anti-Bribery Tool, an interactive, web-based platform that allows users to compare anti-bribery legislation across multiple jurisdictions.
Denise Chachamovitz Leão de Salles
Canopy Growth Brasil Biomedical
Zurich Insurance Company
Hi Technology Corp
- Assisting Roku in all legal matters related to its entry in the Brazilian market, including assessing compliance related risks and preparation of policies and guidelines regarding compliance matters.
- Advising Canopy Growth Brasil Biomedical on several compliance regulatory matters regarding the cannabis legal framework in Brazil.
- Assisting HI Technology Corp in anti-corruption compliance due diligence within the context of an M&A transaction.