With a well-established reputation in Porto Alegre's litigation market, Souto Correa Advogados demonstrates extensive experience in strategic commercial disputes. Cases involving civil liability, contractual issues, consumer claims, environmental law, energy and public concessions feature on the group's diverse portfolio. The practice acts for clients before the superior courts in Brazil, and is also proficient in arbitration proceedings. Guilherme Rizzo Amaral, who is highly regarded for his solid experience in arbitration and litigation, co-heads the department with Julia Klarmann, whose areas of expertise include cross-border disputes and judicial matters, and Otávio Domit, who focuses on high-stakes civil litigation. Recently promoted partner Diogo Fries leads advice on matters concerning high-profile commercial disputes and class actions.
Dispute resolution in Brazil
‘Souto Correa’s team perfectly blends an excellent pool of scholars with hands-on practitioners who master their way around the courtroom. The team has an impressive breadth of experience in all kinds of disputes and always go the extra mile to address their clients’ needs.’
‘The team is always attentive, helpful and very qualified. Lawyers have strong academic qualifications.’
‘Diogo Fries is a rising star in the field and a go-to lawyer for any kind of complex dispute. Mr. Fries is a seasoned lawyer who masters all nuances of the litigation battle ground in Brazil. His experience in representing clients from a wide variety of industries allows him to bring very creative and sharp legal strategies, always putting his clients’ business needs first. By approaching every single matter from a holistic perspective, Mr. Fries positions himself as a very effective and highly valuable business partner.’
‘Souto Correa is one of the few firms in the world that focuses on its clients, not only on its products. They are really committed to clients’ needs. Their communication is very effective, straight to the point, and simple. They are very good with strict deadlines without compromising the quality of the work. They are very creative on finding the best and customised solution.’
‘In addition of being experts and true authorities in the field, Souto Correa professionals are very responsive and creative. They are very open to discuss the alternatives for each client, proposing customised solutions.’
Companhia Energética do Rio das Antas
CHS Agronegócio – Industria e Comercio
G.E. Energias Renováveis
Multiplan Greenfield Empreendimentos
Vogel Soluções em Tecnologia
Votorantim Asset Management Distribuidora de Títulos e Valores Mobiliários
Wertice Publicidade Virtual Ltda – Epp
WMS Supermercados do Brasil
- Representing Habitasul Empreendimentos Imobiliários in a lawsuit regarding the legality of the management of a sanitation system in Santa Catarina.
- Representing MeCasei, one of the biggest wedding planning websites in Brazil, in an unfair competition lawsuit.
- Acting for Rio Grande Energia in several consumer claims regarding alleged overpayment for tariffs on energy supply.
- Retained to assist Braskem in several lawsuits filed by Petroplastic, a minority shareholder, which challenged the takeover of Petroquimica Triunfo by Braskem.
- Representing CHS Agronegócio – Indústria e Comércio in enforcement lawsuits against Seara and its shareholders, which were guarantors of promissory notes issued by the debtor in the total amount of R$500m.
CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados
CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados is noted for its strong track record in strategic litigation, and is also well equipped to advise on preventative measures. The team regularly undertakes contentious work in relation to corporate and commercial agreements. Leading the practice is Tiago Faganello, who is skilled in civil and corporate law, and offers representation to industry heavyweights, particularly those operating in the agribusiness sector, on domestic and international litigation and arbitration. Danilo Brum de Magalhães focuses on civil and commercial litigation, as well as antitrust.
Yara Brazil Fertilizantes
CMPC Celulose Rio Grandense
Lupatech S/A em Recuperação Judicial
Unesul de Transportes
Administradora Geral de Estacionamentos
Merck S/A Indústrias Químicas
PPG Industrial do Brasil – Tintas e Vernizes
Gerdau Acos Longos
Camara de Comercializacao de Energia Electrica (CCEE)
BRDigital – Brasil Digital Telecomunicações
Granjas Quatro Irmãos
- Defends Sigma-Aldrich Brasil in a lawsuit filed by UFRGS (Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul) as a result of an administrative proceeding in which the university alleges breach of contract.
- Defended Yara Brazil Fertilizantes in civil lawsuits arising from a major environmental disaster.
- Representing Banco de Lage Landen Brasil in an action for damages that risks affecting the guarantee structure of financial contracts with funds from BNDES.
- Assisting Merck in the termination of an agency agreement that may affect the pharmaceutical product distribution chain.
Silveiro Advogados' specialised team assists clients before courts across the country and in alternative dispute resolution processes. The department showcases particular strength in corporate disputes following telecoms privatisations and in construction-related disputes. Arbitration is a key field of expertise for practice head Ricardo Borges Ranzolin; Igor Bimkowski Rossoni specialises in court litigation; while construction disputes are a core area of activity for Vitor de Paula Ramos.
Eduardo Rocha Azevedo
Banco Cooperativo SICREDIIBI Participações
BANRISUL – Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
Bing Imóveis Incorporadora e Construtora
Rio Bravo Investments
Rohden Indústria Lignea
- Continues to represent Telefonica in a class action filed by the Public Prosecutor’s Office of the State of São Paulo against Telesp claiming that the price of the stocks in a previous issuance of shares was incorrect.
- Representing one of the shareholders of FACAMP in several judicial and corporate measures against another group of shareholders and the board of directors due to damages caused to the university and the client.
- Acting for Banco Cooperativo SICREDI as plaintiff in a lawsuit filed before the federal courts to oppose a refund sought by the federal government.
- Defending IBI Participações in a multi-faceted conflict against the local community and the Public Prosecutor’s Office of Rio Grande do Sul over the development of a high-value real estate project.
TozziniFreire Advogados' broad service offering covers the full array of contentious matters, including class actions, commercial disputes, distribution agreements litigation, shareholder conflicts and IP litigation. Practitioners have solid experience in litigation and arbitration, and regularly act for well-known domestic and international companies. The department is led by four partners: Eduardo Mariotti, who is experienced in arbitration arising from M&A transactions and construction contracts; civil litigation expert Gabriela Vitiello Wink; Luis Renato Ferreira da Silva, whose areas of expertise include corporate and contractual disputes; and Vinícius de Oliveira Berni, who is noted for regulatory and administrative proceedings. Guilherme Carneiro Monteiro Nitschke is a name to note for commercial and investment arbitration.
‘It’s a full-service law firm able to handle diverse matters. They are always available, understand our needs and think ahead of problems. They also propose alternatives and their litigation work is spotless.’
‘TozziniFreire has been working in a partnership with us for two decades and showing flexibility on the arrangement fees, time consumption and readiness.’
‘Luis Renato Ferreira da Silva and Roberto Bersh are great advisors.’
‘The team is great. Gabriela Wink is an excellent partner. She is smart, intelligent, and dedicated.’
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Facebook Serviços On Line do Brasil
Uber do Brasil Tecnologia
Ford Motor Company do Brasil
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul – BANRISUL
Rádio e Televisão Bandeirantes
- Representing Banco Sicredi in a contractual dispute in relation to the government’s popular housing programme, Minha Casa/Minha Vida, filed by Construtora e Incorporadora Novitá against the bank.
- Assisted Ecoplan Engenharia in a lawsuit against Infraero regarding an engineering project agreement signed in order to double the constructed area of Salgado Filho International Airport in Porto Alegre.
- Represented RGE Sul in a class action regarding the fare prices practised since 2002 by the three energy suppliers in Rio Grande do Sul’s state, including RGE Sul.
- Represented Banrisul in an action filed by Bradesco Auto and Bradesco Seguros on insurance matters.
Veirano Advogados is sought after by regional and international companies on strategic commercial litigation and arbitration, especially matters involving disputes arising from M&A and corporate contracts. In addition, the team has extensive expertise in product liability and consumer claims, and also provides support to clients in regulatory, constitutional and administrative law matters. Filipe Scherer Oliveira, who focuses on civil litigation and arbitration, is a key point of contact in the team. Mauro Hiane de Moura is another noteworthy practitioner, who is active in administrative and regulatory matters.
Refinaria de Petróleo Riograndense
Olfar – Alimento e Energia
BSBios Indústria e Comercio De Biodiesel Sul Brasil
RGE Sul Distribuidora Gaúcha de Energia
- Represented BSBios, 3Tentos and Olfar in a R$600m case against the Petroleum National Agency (ANP) to allow the companies to participate in the ANP’s public tender for the acquisition of biodiesel.
- Represented Lojas Renner in a case involving the termination of the lease of one of its flagship stores in Northeast Brazil.
- Represented Fate Brasil in a cross-border lawsuit against two of its Argentinean shareholders in a complex corporate dispute.
- Represented Banco Vipal in an appeal to revert an unfavourable decision that ordered the annulment of several liens that served as collateral for bank loans.
The litigation team at Rossi, Maffini, Milman & Grando Advogados is regularly retained to assist with the resolution of conflicts concerning the entertainment, commerce and construction sectors. Founding partner Fabio Milman has more than three decades of experience in the field of civil litigation. Konrado Krindges stands out in corporate disputes.
‘The law firm team is well-qualified and the law firm’s partners are monitoring closely every single job.’
‘Fabio Millman and Konrado Krindges create a very good team by knowing deeply the core business of the company they represent.’
XP Investimentos Corretora de Câmbio Títulos e Valores Mobiliários
Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia
Saint Gobain Brasil
Banco De Lage Landen Brasil
Iguatemi – Empresa de Shopping Center
Grupo RBS de Comunicação
Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Artigos e Equipamentos Médicos, Odontológicos, Hospitalares e de Laboratórios (ABIMO)
Bimbo do Brasil
Lifemed Industrial de Equipamentos e Artigos Médicos e Hospitalares
Medabil Soluções Construtivas
DC Set Shows e Entretenimento
Opus Assessoria e Promoções Artísticas
Arauco Indústria de Paineis
Amatra 4 – Associação dos Magistrados do Trabalho do Rio Grande do Sul (RS)
Indústria de Plásticos Herc
SPE Holding Beira-Rio
Safeweb Segurança da Informação
- Filed a defence on behalf of Medabil Soluções Construtivas in a complex contract dispute.
- Represents Fleckstan Group – Pollibox Indústria de Adesivos in a lawsuit filed by a Portuguese company claiming damages for the violation of sanitary regulation by a product sold by the defendant.
- Assisted Associação dos Magistrados do Trabalho da Quarta Região in the filing of a claim asking for material damages in relation to breaches in a construction contract.
Scalzilli Althaus Chimelo Spohr Advogados
Scalzilli Althaus Chimelo Spohr Advogados' civil and commercial litigation team renders a wide range of services in the dispute resolution field; consumer law, contractual issues, civil liability, credit administration, real estate and agribusiness disputes are all areas of activity. Ingrid Nedel Spohr and Marcela Joelsons lead the team.
Foxter Consultoria Imobiliária
Sulcatarinense Min. Artefato de Cim., Brit. e Construções
Construtora Sultepa, Pedrasul Construtora
Sultepa Participações (S/A Sultepa)
- Hired by SulCatarinense, a large construction company in Brazil, to file an action requiring the loss of business profits and material damages against the company Autopista Planalto Sul.
- Retained by Sutelpa group to defend the company in an enforcement action based on debentures.
- Defends Cargill Alimentos, one of the largest producers of animal food, in a compensation action for moral and material damages.