‘First-rate law firm’ Souto Correa Advogados is home to a strong ‘team of partners and lawyers with excellent backgrounds and legal experience’ in dispute resolution. Individual and collective lawsuits involving consumer and environmental law, as well as the energy, construction and infrastructure sectors are key areas of activity for the team, which excels in civil liability, corporate and contractual disputes. Founding partner and arbitrator Guilherme Rizzo Amaral is singled out for his expertise in arbitration while Roberta Feiten is noted for her track record in disputes before state and federal courts concerning product liability and consumer law. Diogo Squeff Fries focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation, and Otávio Domit handles both judicial and administrative cases. Bringing together expertise in litigation and public law, associate Rafael Sirangelo de Abreu is especially active in claims involving the energy sector.
Dispute resolution in Brazil
Guilherme Rizzo Amaral
‘The firm provides an excellent offering, both in terms of service and technical quality. Always very helpful and they act as if they were part of the advised company.’
‘One of the best firms in the country.’
‘Souto Correa Advogados is a first-rate law firm that seeks to serve its clients with excellence. It has a team of partners and lawyers with excellent backgrounds and legal experience. They are available and are always ready to help.’
‘Diogo Squeff does excellent work. He is a great lawyer, with solid legal background and technical knowledge, with a lot of willingness to serve his clients in the best possible way, providing quality legal advice.’
‘Guilherme Rizzo Amaral and Diogo Squeff Fries are simply excellent. All are world-class lawyers.’
‘Diogo Fries and Rafael Sirangelo de Abreu both have a highly professional profile.’
Man Energy Solutions
Man Energy Solutions Brasil Equipamentos e Serviços
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
LATAM Airlines Brasil
Monte Bravo Agente Autônomo de Investimentos
Lenovo Tecnologia Brasil
- Representing RGE Sul in approximately 280 ongoing strategic lawsuits.
- Representing WMS in three lawsuits regarding twelve stores that are rented by the group.
- Representing Eletrocee in a lawsuit against CEEE’s successors to obtain a judicial order to maintain a joint and several liability of the companies for the sponsorship and for unpaid debts, after the privatisation process.
CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados
CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados handles a variety of litigation work, including cases arising from commercial, distribution and engineering contracts. Shareholder disputes and environmental claims are other areas of strength for the department, which offers assistance to clients from the technology, pharmaceutical, construction, agribusiness, and financial sectors. Department head Tiago Faganello is skilled in both litigation and arbitration proceedings, often advising on civil, commercial, consumer, administrative, and insurance disputes. Noted for his experience in competition-related cases, Danilo Brum De Magalhães frequently represents companies before the Administrative Council for Economic Defence.
‘CMT is a firm that produces solid and long-term relationships with clients.’
‘Tiago Faganello is a very competent lawyer.’
‘Lawyers are always on top of the cases and up-to-date on procedural issues. Unconditional and fast support. Tiago Faganello is recommended.’
Juntos Somos Mais
Philip Morris Do Brasil
PPG Industrial Do Brasil
Rede Dial De Comunicação
Syngenta Proteção De Cultivos
Stone Instituição De Pagamento
Yara Brasil Fertilizantes
- Advised Ambev on a copyright dispute concerning the use of the expression “Imortal Tricolor” on their labels.
- Acted for Merck in several civil liability cases involving the company and its former agents.
- Assisted Stone Pagamentos with demonstrating its compliance with all its obligations in the payment chain, and that the company cannot be jointly and severally liable for the default by Bela Pagamentos in the matter of their acquisition.
Particularly noted for its performance in the telecoms space, the 'extremely qualified' dispute resolution team at Silveiro Advogados is well versed in high-profile corporate litigation and arbitration proceedings. Civil construction disputes are another key area of expertise for the practice, which shines in real estate-related mandates. Managing partner and arbitration expert Ricardo Ranzolin co-leads the team alongside Ricardo Leal De Moraes, who excels in antitrust litigation, and is also at the helm of the public law department. Ricardo Fortes, who is skilled in representing banks and corporations in court-supervised reorganisations, is another name to note.
‘Silveiro is an excellent firm, with an extremely qualified team that is always attentive to the client and very collaborative. The work presented is of great excellence, which generates great confidence in the firm before the judiciary.’
‘The team is competent, committed, and very effective.’
‘Silveiro has great professionals.’
Banco Cooperativo Sicredi
Air Liquide Brasil
Rio Bravo Investimentos
Companhia Zaffari Comércio e Indústria
HT Micron semicondutores
- Represented Zaffari in an action relating to the right to vindicate the possession of a building located in a strategic and prime area of the city of Porto Alegre.
- Acted for Telefônica in actions that changed and consolidated the understanding of the Superior Court of Justice (STJ) about the method of subscription and paying of its shares in thousands of contracts.
- Representing Terra Santa Propriedades Agrícolas in six lawsuits concerning the sale of a biodiesel plant.
TozziniFreire Advogados is highly adept at representing major local, national, and international clients in a multitude of disputes before judicial courts and arbitration tribunals. Clients from across the energy, infrastructure, banking, telecoms, and food and beverages sectors regularly seek the group's assistance in corporate, commercial and contractual cases, as well as shareholder disputes, consumer law and civil liability claims. Recommended by clients for his extensive experience in high-profile arbitrations, Guilherme Carneiro Monteiro Nitschke is a key point of contact in the team. Corporate and contract law specialist Luis Renato Ferreira da Silva is another name to note for arbitration, while Vinícius de Oliveira Berni is skilled in administrative disputes involving highly regulated sectors, such as energy and telecoms. Gabriela Vitiello Wink, the trusted adviser to several banks, has expertise in financial services litigation, which is also an area of strength for Eduardo Mariotti, whose 'unique strategic and business vision' are praised by clients.
Eduardo Mariotti; Luis Renato Ferreira da Silva; Vinícius de Oliveira Berni; Guilherme Carneiro Monteiro Nitschke; Gabriela Vitiello Wink
‘The firm adapts to the client’s needs. It invests in and respects its professionals, who have been working for many years and are always up-to-date with the latest case law.’
‘What makes this firm unique is the dedication and availability of its professionals, as well as the high technical level of its work. Eduardo Mariotti and Guilherme Carneiro Monteiro Nitschke stand out among the many lawyers, from other firms, with whom I had the opportunity to work because of the attention given to me and my cases, and the success resulting from sophisticated strategies and high technical quality.’
‘Eduardo Mariotti is always available, provides excellent services, and has a unique strategic and business vision. Eduardo is the main lawyer I turn to for complex matters that require an equally complex solution.’
‘Guilherme has a lot of experience in arbitration.’
RGE Sul Distribuidora de Energia
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
Eletrobras CGT Eletrosul
SPAL Indústria Brasileira de Bebidas
Sodexo Comercial do Brasil
Sport Club Internacional
Ford Motor Company Brasil
- Acted for Claro in two civil lawsuits brought by the Federal Prosecution Office regarding alleged substandard quality of the mobile communication services provided to consumers in 47 cities of the state of Paraná.
- Representing Facebook Brasil in a case before the Superior Court of Justice concerning policies on the transfer of digital goods and what happens to a social media account after the death of the user.
- Representing Claro in a lawsuit by Centrais Elétricas de Goiás which was originally filed in early 2000.
Noted for being ‘extremely committed and dedicated to its cases‘, Veirano Advogados‘ Porto Alegre-based group is active in a range of commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings, most notably disputes arising out of M&A agreements and business contracts. International and Brazilian clients also turn to the practice for advice on product liability and consumer lawsuits, regulatory matters involving the energy, mining, and oil and gas industries, and administrative cases concerning concessions and public tenders. The ‘fantastic’ department head Filipe Scherer Oliveira is active in strategic cases. He is supported by public law expert Mauro Hiane de Moura. Luiz Afrânio Araújo departed in October 2022.
Filipe Scherer Oliveira
‘Excellent strategic thinking, legal writing, and client service.’
‘The Veirano team is extremely committed and dedicated to its cases. Strengths of the team include their commitment to analyse case documents and their organisation and management capacity.’
‘Veirano is always willing to contribute with a multidisciplinary team that manages to give a complete picture of the issue.’
‘The team stands out for their commitment and effort expended in reading, analysing, and understanding technical documents.’
‘The experience and preparation of Filipe Scherer Oliveira is impressive.’
‘Filipe Scherer Oliveira is fantastic; he is very strategic and thoughtful, and works to find creative solutions aligned with the client’s goals.’
Rappi Brasil Intermediações de Negócios
Stratus Private Equity
Associação Brasileira de Defensivos Pós-Patente
Sindicato Nacional da Indústria de Produtos para Defesa Vegetal
Philip Morris International
Yara Brasil Fertilizantes
- Acted for Philip Morris International in a class action filed by the Federal Government seeking reimbursement of costs incurred by the National Health System (SUS) with the treatment of diseases allegedly caused by smoking.
- Representing Yara Fertilizantes in complex litigation involving the company’s right to operate a railway terminal it has been using since 2003 in the State of Paraná.
- Representing Rappi in a writ of mandamus to discuss a Rio de Janeiro municipality statute that requests the client to display, in its online platform, copies of the municipal licenses of the restaurants that relied on its delivery services.
Gerson Branco Advogados
Singled out for its 'in-depth technical knowledge of the market', Gerson Branco Advogados is well positioned to represent clients in civil and arbitral lawsuits concerning M&A, corporate law, and commercial contracts. Bankruptcy, construction, civil liability, and consumer disputes are other key areas of activity for the dispute resolution practice. The firm acts for a varied client base, which includes players from the agribusiness, banking, and retail industries based in Southern Brazil. Founding partner Gerson Luiz Carlos Branco oversees both the litigation and corporate departments. He receives key support from Flaviana Rampazzo Soares, who specialises in contractual disputes and civil litigation, and Diogo Merten Cruz, a notable name for extrajudicial proceedings and bankruptcy-related mandates. Eduardo Siqueira Néri is also recommended for his focus on procedural law.
Gerson Luiz Carlos Branco
‘Great ability to negotiate deals and come up with solutions to solve complex matters.’
‘Very qualified and proactive team.’
‘Firm with a committed, agile, and attentive team, which treats clients with attention and respect.’
Cerealle Tecnologia em Alimentos
Granjas 4 Irmãos
Indústria de Alimentos Estrela
Encorp Engenharia e Construções
Serra Morena Corretora
AGM Operadora Portuária
Kaefe Engenharia e Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Empresa de Trens Urbanos de Porto Alegre
- Advising Portocred on contentious matters.
- Acted for Arcos Dourados in a lawsuit regarding the termination of a rental agreement for the establishment of a McDonald’s restaurant in Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul.
- Represented DAKOTA in successfully obtaining recognition for R$17m in tax credits.
The dispute resolution practice at Rossi, Maffini, Milman & Grando Advogados regularly handles corporate and commercial cases for domestic and international clients from the banking, entertainment, and construction industries. It is active in both extrajudicial and judicial proceedings before all levels of the judiciary, representing clients in preliminary injunctions and actions for damages. Managing and co-founding partner Fabio Milman spearheads the practice, where co-founder Rafael Maffini is a name to note for administrative public law-related cases. Other key individuals include Konrado Krindges and Guilherme Bier Barcelos, both of whom focus on strategic corporate disputes.
Fabio Milman; Rafael Maffini
Banco de Lage Landen Brasil
SPE Holding Beira-Rio
Enerfin do Brasil
Amvian Indústria e Comércio de Peças Automotivas
DC Set Shows e Entretenimento
Opus Assessoria e Promoções Artísticas
LTS Incorporadora e Construtora Eireli
Arauco Indústria de Paineis
CMPC Celulose Riograndense
BSBios Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
Ambiental Metrosul Concessionaria De Saneamento Spe
- Provided Company BSBIOS with a legal opinion to support its arguments in a class action discussing the reversion of the donation of manufacturing area of more than 450,000.00 square meters by the Municipality of Passo Fundo.
- Assisting BRS Suprimentos Corporativos in the filing of an administrative appeal involving a public bid.
- Representing XP Investimentos in disputes in which the claimants complained of negotiations made in the capital markets in their names without consent or disclaimer about the risks.
Scalzilli Althaus Advogados
Scalzilli Althaus Advogados‘ civil and commercial litigation team handles a variety of mandates, including consumer disputes, real estate-related claims, contractual suits, and civil liability cases. Credit recovery is another key area of activity for the practice led by Ingrid Nedel Spohr and Veronica Althaus. Spohr is frequently engaged in contentious matters involving contracts and the real estate sector, while Althaus is noted for her expertise in corporate litigation and restructurings.
Ingrid Nedel Spohr; Verônica Althaus
Daniel Antonio Zarth and Franscisco Hepp
Foxter Consultoria Imobiliária
Sulcatarinense Min Artefatos de Cim.,Brit. e Construções
- Defended Cargill Alimentos in a compensation action for moral and material damages.
- Represented Cargill Agrícola in a civil public action regarding a label of transgenic nature.
- Assisted SulCatarinense in the filing of an action requiring the loss of business profits and material damages against the company Autopista Planalto Sul, responsible for building and road maintenance in Brazil’s southern region.