'Excellent law firm' Mudrovitsch Advogados has established a leading reputation in public law and regulation in Brasília. The firm excels in constitutional, administrative and electoral law, with an emphasis on complex cases before the Supreme Federal Court, Superior Court of Justice and Federal Court of Accounts (TCU). Its ability to handle sensitive white-collar criminal matters is also of note, and the team is regularly instructed by high-level executives and politicians in addition to major companies and industry associations. Many of the cases that the firm handles involve multiple authorities and agencies, and several include leniency agreement negotiations, where the team has developed niche expertise. Constitutional law expert Rodrigo de Bittencourt Mudrovitsch leads the team, which is active in the construction, agribusiness and energy sectors, among others. Compliance and criminal law expert Felipe Carvalho is another key contact, who often takes a key role on the department's major cases. Associate Caroline Raupp is also noted.
Public law and regulation in Brazil
Rodrigo de Bittencourt Mudrovitsch
‘It is an excellent law firm, with great performance in the legal market. Cohesive team bringing great results for me.’
‘I would like to highlight Rodrigo Mudrovitsch, Felipe Carvalho and Caroline Raupp.’
Construtora Sanches Tripoloni
Diretório Nacional do Progressistas – PP
Associação Nacional das Empresas de Transportes Urbanos – NTU
Chibatão Navegação e Comércio
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
- Represented Solidariedade before the Supreme Court in a significant case concerning maternity leave.
- Acted for Construtora Sanches Tripoloni in an ordinary action against the National Department of Infrastructure and Transport.
- Acted for Diretório Nacional do Progressistas – PP in an action for breach of a fundamental precept, concerning an interpretation of the Constitution recently adopted by the Superior Electoral Court – TSE.
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados stands out for its ability to handle complex cases before the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU). The specialised infrastructure and public law firm is a popular choice for well-known companies in highly regulated sectors, including construction, technology, logistics and transport. Administrative improbity actions are another area of expertise for the firm. On the non-contentious side, the firm regularly provides advice on legislative affairs and regulatory matters. Despite the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, the firm had a busy year in 2020, establishing a new branch in São Paulo and winning several new clients in key sectors. Dispute resolution and administrative law expert Arthur Lima Guedes is a founding member of the Brazilian Institute of Law and Control of the Public Administration (IBDCAP). He jointly leads the practice alongside government and regulatory affairs specialist Daniel Bogéa and Antonio Henrique Medeiros Coutinho, who 'stands out for the quality with which he presents legal solutions for complex demands'. Associate Gilberto Mendes Calasans Gomes also receives praise.
Arthur Lima Guedes; Antonio Henrique Medeiros Coutinho; Daniel Bogéa
‘The excellent quality of the lawyers, combined with the different perception of control bodies, especially TCU, as well as the judiciary in Brasília. Also noteworthy is the speed and attention with which they present solutions to the client.’
‘Antonio Henrique Medeiro Coutinho stands out for the quality with which he presents legal solutions for complex demands, presenting considerable results in scenarios with a short time for the development of the work.’
‘Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados law firm operates in the judicial and administrative spheres with great professionalism, technical excellence and strategic commitment. It is worth mentioning the specialised performance before the Federal Audit Court, involving highly complex administrative issues with great patrimonial and reputational repercussion to clients.’
‘Attention should be given to the work of lawyers Arthur Lima Guedes and Gilberto Calasans Gomes for their competence, didactics and technical excellence in the practice of law and in dealing with clients.’
‘Expertise in port matters. Modern and collaborative approach. Commitment to deadlines.’
‘Daniel Bogéa is my focal point. Strengths: maturity, agility, analytical and strategic capacity. Works very well with team/collaboration.’
Associação Brasileira de Terminais Portuários – ABTP
SKY Serviços de Banda Larga
Interstate Union of Audiovisual Industry – SICAV
ADM do Brasil
Secretaria Nacional de Aviação Civil – SAC
Capgemini Latin America and Capgemini Brasil
Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa
Bandeirantes Deicmar Logística Integrada
SINDIPORTO Brasil – Business Union for the Brazilian Companies of Port Support Services
SINICON – Business Union for the Brazilian Construction Industry
- Advised ABTP on regulatory matters and strategic monitoring of the port sector to the Brazilian Association of Port Terminals – ABTP.
- Represented prominent associations of the Brazilian cinema sector in two matters before the Federal Court of Accounts.
- Represented Concessionária Rio Teresópolis – CRT in a lawsuit against the Federal Union and the National Land Transport Agency (ANTT), aimed at restoring the economic and financial balance of its contract with the administration.
With an impressive track record in litigation and longstanding history in Brasília, Advocacia Fernanda Hernandez is well established among the key public law firms in the capital. Its client base includes a diverse range of new clients and companies that have been turning to the team for over a decade. Seasoned litigator Fernanda Guimaraes Hernandez can often be found representing healthcare, construction, energy, and food and beverage companies before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice. Bruna Macedo Moreth left the firm in September 2020. Luciana Marques dos Reis Frattini, Blader Henrique de Lira Soares and Isadora Cronemberger Caixeta are active members of the team.
Fernanda Guimarães Hernandez
‘Excellent technical knowledge, they handle the demands with a lot of dedication and they know the smallest details of the processes.’
‘Fernanda Hernandez and Luciana Fratini are recommended.’
Jive Investments Consultoria
Anglo Ferrous Brazil
Líder Táxi Aéreo
Sotave Amazônica Química e Mineral
Jus Capital Gestão de Recursos
Grupo Solvi Participações
Andrade Maia Advogados
Expressa Distribuidora de Medicamentos
- Advised one of the largest Brazilian food and beverage companies on cases regarding the inclusion of the ICMS on the social contributions on gross revenue (PIS and COFINS) taxable basis.
- Advised several companies on the compulsory loan to Eletrobras that was imposed to consumers of electricity.
- Providing litigation services to a client in the Superior Court of Justice, aiming to overturn a ruling against the company for the supposed practice of administrative improbity.
The Brasília-based team at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados works in close collaboration with colleagues in São Paulo to provide a broad service to clients, covering both contentious and non-contentious administrative and regulatory matters. Its recent workload has included representing clients before the TCU and ministries and regulatory agencies, and providing advice on administrative contracts. A former state attorney, Thiago Luís Sombra has broad knowledge of administrative litigation, PPPs, concessions and public tenders, as well as anti-corruption and compliance. Igor Moreira Novais Teixeira is a name to note at the associate level.
Aena Desarrollo Internacional S.M.E.
Associação Brasileira de Infraestrutura e Indústria de Base – ABDIB
Amazon Web Services
Concessionária do Monotrilho da Linha 18
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
IBM Indústria Máquinas e Serviços
Mapfre Seguros Gerais
- Assisted Acciona in the takeover of the PPP agreement to construct, operate and maintain the Line 6 – Orange Line of São Paulo’s Metro System.
- Assisted Patria Investimentos regarding the state of São Paulo’s international bid for the concession of the toll road system “Piracicaba-Panorama”.
- Assisted Vectis Partners with the state of Mato Grosso do Sul Sanitation Company Public International Bid No. 1/2020, for the execution of a PPP for the exploitation of sewerage services in 68 municipalities of the state of Mato Grosso do Sul.
With a ‘focus on risk management‘ that is appreciated by clients, Pinheiro Neto Advogados‘ Brasília-based public law department acts for leading companies in the financial services, construction, mining and technology sectors, among others. Of particular note is the team’s expertise in direct actions for declarations of unconstitutionality and administrative improbity lawsuits. The broader firm fields highly regarded teams specialising in white-collar criminal law, compliance, competition and investigations, which allows for multi-disciplinary, full-service advice, and the firm is well versed in leniency agreements. Mining and government relations specialist Carlos Vilhena, seasoned appellate litigators Vicente Coelho Araujo and Leonardo Rocha e Silva, and compliance, competition and litigation partner José Alexandre Buaiz Neto are among the key practitioners in Brasília. Senior associate Filipe Morais Cunha and São Paulo-based public law expert Ricardo Pagliari Levy are also key contacts.
‘Focus on solving the problem. Understanding customer demand. Legal advice with a focus on risk management.’
‘The specialisation and experience of the office in the regulation of the mining area are highlighted in our perspective.’
‘Carlos Vilhena: understanding customer demand and advice.’
‘Filipe Morais Cunha is recommended.’
Ero Copper Corp
Alstom Brasil Energia e Transporte
Great Panther Mining
Motion Picture Association America Latina
Mineração Rio do Norte
China Molybdenum Corp (CMOC)
ZF do Brasil (ZF)
- Acted for Conspiração Filmes in an administrative proceeding with the General Controllership of the Union (CGU).
- Acted for Mary Kay in a public civil inquiry initiated by the Federal Prosecutor’s Office.
- Represented Motion Picture Association America Latina as amicus curiae in a Direct Action for Declaration of Unconstitutionality filed by the Brazilian Association of Independent Television Producers – BRAVI.
Ana Frazão Advogados
Boutique firm Ana Frazão Advogados is regularly sought for legal opinions on complex regulatory, constitutional and competition law matters. 'Intelligent and insightful lawyer' Ana Frazão leads the team, which is also equipped to represent clients in administrative proceedings and public hearings. Established in 2019, the firm continues to see growth, and has recently worked with a number of new clients across the financial services, transport and electricity sectors. Angelo Prata de Carvalho is a key contact for matters relating to technology, data privacy, compliance and regulation.
Ana Frazão; Angelo Prata de Carvalho
‘The name partner is a cultured university professor, former CADE counselor, and intelligent and insightful lawyer.‘
‘Ana Frazão is kind, efficient and intelligent.’
Refinaria de Petróleo de Manguinhos (Refit)
Banco Santander Brasil
Companhia Brasileira De Alumínio – CBA
Marimex Despachos Transportes e Serviços
Associação de Beneficência e Filantropia São Cristóvão
- Provided a legal opinion regarding the main challenges aluminium manufacturers face to purchase natural gas in Brazil, encompassing regulatory issues regarding the transition from the captive market to the free natural gas market regime.
- Provided a legal opinion to a client regarding a probe before the Brazilian Office of the Comptroller General (CGU).
- Provided a legal opinion concerning the legality of Buser Brasil Tecnologia’s mobility platform.
Strategic litigation involving administrative and constitutional law is a focus for Carneiros e Dipp Advogados, which is well versed in cases before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice as well as the National Justice Council. The team’s recent caseload has seen it handling matters relating to inclusive special education, affirmative action policies, gun taxes and environmental protection. Rafael de Alencar Araripe Carneiro, Mariana Albuquerque Rabelo, Gilson Langaro Dipp and Felipe Santos Correa are key practitioners in the team.
Rafael de Alencar Araripe Carneiro; Mariana Albuquerque Rabelo; Felipe Santos Correa
‘Extensive legal knowledge of the subject, exceptional technical quality.’
‘Excellent lawyers, who take matters seriously and provide excellent customer service, always available for meetings and sending reports.’
Gralha Azul Transmissão de Energia
Bom Jesus Agropecuária
Partido Socialista Brasileiro (PSB)
Emplavi Evolução Imobiliária
- Defends Gralha Azul Transmissão de Energia in a public civil action concerning alleged irregularities of the environmental licensing process of a large-scale electric energy project.
- Defends Concessionária SPMAR in an administrative improbity lawsuit.
- Acted for Partido Socialista Brasileiro in a Direct Action for the Declaration of Unconstitutionality in which the judiciary recognised the fundamental right to protection of personal data of Brazilian citizens.
TozziniFreire Advogados' government contracts and projects practice focuses on public procurement, with experience advising on public bids, the structuring of privatisation processes and PPP agreements, among other areas. On the contentious side, the team also acts for clients in litigation and investigations. Cláudio Coelho de Souza Timm, whose broad practice encompasses regulatory and enforcement proceedings and government relations, leads the team. Isabela Braga Pompilio and associates Thalles Leite and Bruno Lourenço are also names to note.
Cláudio Coelho de Souza Timm
Banco Credit Agricole Brasil
Association of Workers of the Bank of Brasilia (Associação dos Empregados do Banco de Brasília – AEBRB)
- Assisted Estrela Instantânea Consortium (EIL) in its preparation for the operation of the concession of the public service of Exclusive Instant Lottery (LOTEX), which it was awarded in October 2019.
Veirano Advogados acts for domestic and international companies in highly regulated sectors in cases involving regulatory and administrative law. 2020 and 2021 saw the team advising clients on matters involving Covid-19, public tenders and constitutional litigation, among other areas. In addition to handling contentious and non-contentious matters, the Brasília-based lawyers also collaborate closely with colleagues in the other offices, with Porto Alegre-based practice head Mauro Hiane de Moura a key contact. Marcelo Reinecken has broad experience in tax and public law. Associate Giulia Sabino is also noted.
Marcelo Reinecken; Mauro Hiane de Moura
‘The office has some essential qualities to stand out, such as attention to detail, partnership always seeking to meet the objectives, availability of the team to respond promptly to the demands and objectivity in the communication.’
‘Marcelo Reinecken: professional with wide area knowledge and strategic global vision of both litigation and advisory. Giulia Sabino: diligent professional, with a lot of knowledge of the field.’
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
SAMA Minerações Associadas (em recuperação judicial)
British Telecom Group
ANEAA (National Association of Airport Administrators)
APROBIO – Associação Dos Produtores De Biocombustíveis Do Brasil
- Acted on behalf of the World Bank in a set of cases before the Supreme Federal Court in which states of Brazil requested the judiciary to temporarily suspend their debts with international institutions because of the hardship caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Engaged by APROBIO (the main association of biofuel producers in Brazil) to represent it in two major lawsuits discussing key aspects of the biodiesel regulatory framework.
- Acts as Brazilian counsel to GRU Airport in the extraordinary revision and negotiation with the Brazilian Aviation Authority (ANAC) of an amendment to the concession agreement of Guarulhos Airport.