Mudrovitsch Advogados has established a strong reputation in regulatory and public law-related matters, such as concession agreements, bidding processes, and administrative and judicial proceedings before the regulatory agencies and the superior courts. With a particular focus on constitutional, administrative, tax and electoral law, the group attracts clients from an array of industries, most notably construction, education and transportation. Key names in the practice include Rodrigo Mudrovitsch, who often acts for clients from the telecoms, energy and real estate segments in criminal and tax cases, public law specialist Victor Santos Rufino, and Raphael Marcelino, who focuses on civil liberties matters.
Public law and regulation in Brazil
Rodrigo Mudrovitsch; Victor Santos Rufino; Raphael Marcelino
Comércio e Construção Camargo Corrêa
SIA Offices Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Concessionária do Centro Administrative do Distrito Federal (CENTRAD)
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados is well recognised for its expertise in the infrastructure sector, and as such can regularly be found assisting concessionaires and construction companies in public law-related matters and high-stakes litigation. In addition to its extensive experience representing clients before the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU), the practice also excels in concession matters, administrative improbity law and sanctions. Arthur Lima Guedes is especially sought after to advise on matters related to the TCU; Daniel Bogéa focuses on government and regulatory matters; and Gilberto Mendes Calasans Gomes regularly acts on competition law matters and judicial litigation.
Arthur Lima Guedes; Daniel Bogéa; Gilberto Calasans Gomes
‘Very high knowledge of matters related to the TCU and administrative and judicial processes. It works with excellence in high-value and very complex processes.’
‘Solid and proven experience in the sector, knowledge of the market in Brasilia. Excellent quality of services, very good value for money and very good knowledge of the public sector.’
‘Arthur Guedes is a strategist, who has very good knowledge of the public sector, the Brasília market and processes related to the TCU, always fostering the construction of a long-lasting partnership with the clients.’
‘The team’s ability to understand the issues and develop customised solutions for the client are great differentials.’
‘Daniel Bogéa is an exceptional professional. Intelligent, knowledgeable, with an enormous capacity to synthesise the problem and develop the right solution for the client.’
Concessionária Rio Teresópolis
Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa
ADM do Brasil
Members of the Executive Board of BR Distribuidora
Interstate Union of Audiovisual Industry – SICAV
ABRAPP – Associação Brasileira das Entidades Fechadas de Previdência Complementar
SINDAPP – Sindicato Nacional
Temape – Terminais Marítimos de Pernambuco
SKY Serviços de Banda Larga
Neves & Marinheiro & Marinheiro (Moinho Paulista)
Consortium Congonhas Airport
Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa
Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia
Construtora Barbosa Mello
ECOVIX Construções Oceânicas
- Advised the Brazilian Association of Port Terminals (ABTP) on regulatory and governmental matters related to the association.
- Assisted ABRAPP and SINDAPP with two actions before the Supreme Federal Court to review the constitutionality of the Federal Court of Accounts proceedings in the sector.
- Represented Construtora Norberto Odebrecht and others in an administrative improbity action filed by the Federal Prosecutor against the company due to allegations of irregularities in the Norte-Sul railway contract.
The public law and regulation team at Mattos Filho stands out for its expertise in the technology sector, where it attracts a strong following from high-profile companies such as Oracle, Google and Microsoft. Public tenders, public contracts and administrative and judicial disputes are among the department’s areas of expertise. Recently, the group has been particularly busy assisting clients from the banking sector with changes in the constitutional provisions related to the court-ordered debt payments (precatórios) regime. A key contact for matters involving PPPs, concessions, sanction proceedings and litigation at the superior courts is Thiago Luís Sombra, whose expertise spans public law, anti-corruption and technology.
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
IBM Indústria Máquinas e Serviços
Pearson Education do Brasil
Google Brasil Internet
Banco BTG Pactual
Oracle do Brasil Sistemas
- Advised Oracle on the execution of a multi-cloud agreement with Sepro for the provision of cloud services to public bodies and entities.
- Assisted Pfizer, Covax-Facility Consortium, and Moderna with legal issues related to the Federal Government’s acquisition process of more than 140m doses of Covid-19 vaccines.
- Advised Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio on matters related to services regarding Transnordestina and Carajás (EFC) railways to the Port of Itaquí.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is a popular choice for companies from the healthcare, infrastructure, energy and mining industries seeking assistance with PPPs, privatisations, concessions and public contracts. Another area of particular strength for the practice is dispute resolution, where it acts on complex and sensitive cases before local governments, regulatory agencies and the superior courts. As part of its broad offering, the team also handles compliance and environmental matters, bribery allegations and administrative improbity claims and competition law issues. Marcelo Alfredo Bernardes is a key contact for infrastructure projects and administrative disputes. Carlos Vilhena focuses on mining projects and government relations work. Other key names in the department include Leonardo Rocha e Silva, an antitrust expert with experience in proceedings before the CADE; appellate litigator Vicente Coelho Araujo; and José Alexandre Buaiz Neto, an expert in anti-bribery and compliance matters.
- Acted for Pfizer in negotiations with the Brazilian Ministry of Health for the supply of approximately 100m doses of Covid-19 vaccines.
- Assisted Caixa Econômica Federal with its divesture programme and election of Caixa Seguridade Participações as the first subsidiary to go partially public.
- Represented KIBAG Airfield Construction in a successful bidding process to provide state-owned company Empresa Brasileira de Infraestructura Aeroportuária (INFRAERO) with RESAs and an engineering material arresting system (EMAS).
Large domestic and international companies operating in the energy, infrastructure, logistics and natural resources sectors turn to Veirano Advogados for assistance with complex, high-value privatisations, PPPs, concessions and acquisitions. The group is particularly known for its capabilities in public law-related dispute resolution, often representing clients in judicial and administrative disputes as well as arbitration proceedings. Practice co-head Marcelo Reinecken is especially sought after to represent telecoms, manufacturing and mining clients in proceedings before the superior courts and the Brazilian Federal Administrative Tax Court (CARF). Fellow co-head Mauro Hiane de Moura has extensive experience in matters related to public law and administrative proceedings. Also noted is Marcus Ludwig, an expert in public law and governance issues in the energy and infrastructure industries.
Marcelo Reinecken; Mauro Hiane de Moura
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
SAMA Minerações Associadas
British Telecom Group
ANEAA (National Association of Airport Administrators)
APROBIO – Associação Dos Produtores De Biocombustíveis Do Brasil
Associação Brasileira de Defensivos Pós-Patente (AENDA)
SINDIVEG – Sindicato National da Indústria de Produtos para Defesa Vegetal
- Acted for GRU Airport in the extraordinary revision and negotiation with the Brazilian Aviation Authority (ANAC) of an amendment to the concession agreement of the Guarulhos’ Airport.
- Assisted CropfLife Brasil, SINDIVEG and AENDA with an amicus brief in a constitutional complaint filed before the Supreme Federal Court by the Workers’ Party (PT) and the Socialism and Freedom Party (PSOL).
- Acted for APROBIO in an amicus brief as part of a collective writ of mandamus filed by BRASILCOM (Associação das Distribuidoras de Combustíveis) before the Supreme Court of Justice challenging a regulatory duty to acquire carbon credits.
Ana Frazão Advogados
Boutique law firm Ana Frazão Advogados is well known for its specialised focus on corporate, competition and regulatory law as well as technology and compliance matters. The team excels in a wide range of matters, including representing clients before government agencies and in arbitration proceedings, advising on public contracts, and providing legal opinions. The group’s leadership is split between former commissioner of the Brazilian Administrative Council of Economic Defence (CADE) Ana Frazão and corporate law and litigation expert Angelo Prata De Carvalho, who is often retained to handle competition law, data privacy and compliance matters.
Ana Frazão; Angelo Prata de Carvalho
Refinaria de Petróleo de Manguinhos (Refit)
Banco Santander Brasil
Companhia Brasileira De Alumínio – CBA
The Brazilian Union Of Liquefied Gas Distributors (Sindigas)
Gran Petro Distribuidora de Combustíveis
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Corr Plastik Industrial
Marimex Despachos Transportes e Serviços
Associação de Beneficência e Filantropia São Cristóvão
INFRAERO – Empresa Brasileira de Infraestrutura Aeroportuária
- Advised Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio on the main challenges that aluminium manufacturers face to purchase natural gas in Brazil, encompassing regulatory issues regarding the transition from the captive market to the free natural gas market regime.
- Assisted Buser Brasil Tecnologia with legal options about the legality of the company’s mobility platform, which offers a traveling management system directed towards occasional travellers by linking private transporters to consumers.
Bento Muniz Advocacia
With a longstanding presence in Brasília, Bento Muniz Advocacia excels in a broad range of matters, spanning corporate and tax litigation, public and administrative law, and issues related to infrastructure projects. Leading the public law and regulation team is Wesley Bento, who has extensive experience in representing companies before the superior courts and administrative bodies. He is supported by associates Tatiana Zuconi, whose expertise spans constitutional and tax law, Rebecca Suzanne Robertson and Pedro Ludovico Teixeira Bahia Rabelo.
‘Its network of contracts and technical knowledge are important differentials.’
‘Excellent professionals with extensive knowledge and commitment.’
‘Highly qualified office.’
‘Wesley Bento is a great public law lawyer.’
People’s Republic of China
Queiroz & Galvão
City of Paulo Afonso
Hydroelectric Rio Chopim
Golden Cross Group
- Acted for Fedrigoni Brazil in a direct action of unconstitutionality regarding a federal law that allows the Brazilian Government to purchase new raw material for the manufacturing of paper money without the possibility of a bidding process.
- Assisted Petrocity Portos with a notice of violation filed by the National Agency of Waterway Transport (ANTAQ) for failure to obtain an environmental license for a port in the state of Espírito Santo.
- Advised Petrocity Ferrovias on a petition to the Brazilian Ministry of Infrastructure seeking to obtain the indirect operation of a federal railway transport service between the municipalities of Barra de São Francisco and Brasília.
Companies in the energy, banking and finance, food and beverage, and infrastructure industries turn to Advocacia Fernanda Hernandez for its expertise in complex matters, including the drafting and filing of petitions, appeals, briefs and legal opinions before the superior courts and regulatory agencies. The group is headed by founding partner Fernanda Guimarães Hernandez, who has extensive experience in cases at the appellate courts in Brasília. Also recommended are administrative law expert Luciana Marques Dos Reis Frattini and Rafaella Alencar Ribeiro, who focuses on tax litigation and the negotiation of tax debts.
Fernanda Hernandez Guimarães
‘Rigorous preparation of cases added to the extensive experience in litigation.’
‘Impeccable petitions and studious professionals who work hard, even on weekends, to achieve the best possible result for their clients.’
‘I’d highlight Fernanda Hernandez and her team. Meritocracy.’
‘The clear perception that the client’s problems are challenges to be overcome immediately and strategically.’
Jive Investments Consultoria
Anglo Ferrous Brazil
Líder Táxi Aéreo
Sotave Amazônica Química e Mineral
Jus Capital Gestão de Recursos
Dias Souza Advogados
Grupo Solvi Participações
Andrade Maia Advogados
Expressa Distribuidora de Medicamentos
- Advised banks and companies from the energy sector on the compulsory loan to Eletrobas that was imposed on consumers of electricity.
- Assisted a food and beverage company with matters related to an early liquidation of guarantee insurance.
- Acted for a large investment fund in a case of restitution for the expropriation of a property.
Figueiredo & Velloso Advogados
Figueiredo e Velloso Advogados is frequently turned to by clients seeking assistance in public contracts, litigation and arbitration proceedings, and large projects in a wide range of sectors, mostly notably energy, infrastructure, logistics and technology. The team's leadership is split between trio Luciano Barros, a specialist in constitutional law; Diego Campos, who is well versed in civil procedural law; and Daniel Mesquita, whose expertise spans competition, environmental, corporate and public law.
Luciano Barros; Diego Campos; Daniel Mesquita
‘Luciano Barros is a great lawyer.’
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Consórcio Puente Bioceánico
We Trust in Sustainable Participações
Júlio Theodoro de Oliveira
Parque Raposo Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Manaus Transmissora de Energia
Pronto 10 Participações e Empreendimentos
Alzir Pimentel Aguiar Neto
Washington de Espíndola’s Estate
- Acted for Construtora Queiroz Galvão in the bidding process for the construction of section VI of the project to integrate the São Francisco River with hydrographic basins in the northeast region.
- Represented Wtorre and We Trust in Sustainable Participações in a dispute brought about by a notification made by Claro.
- Assisted Manaus Transmissora de Energia with an action regarding judicial deposits made by the appellant in relation to the value of its indemnity offer.
TozziniFreire Advogados is retained to handle PPPs, public contracts and compliance matters as well as judicial and administrative disputes. The group is noted for its strength in the infrastructure sector, where it provides strategic advice on administrative law and concessions for airports, roads, ports and public transportation. The practice is also a popular choice in public procurement matters such as the negotiation of supply agreements and actions with state-owned companies and the Brazilian government. Leading the department is Cláudio Coelho de Souza Timm, who draws on extensive experience in regulatory and enforcement proceedings before various public bodies such as the Federal Court of Accounts, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Agriculture.
Claudio Coelho de Souza Timm
‘In-depth analysis of the topics and quick responses.’
‘High level of knowledge of the matters discussed, always up-to-date with jurisprudence changes.’
‘Professional commitment and assertiveness in solving complex issues.’
Associação dos Empregados do Serpro de Brasília (ASES-DF)
IGT Global Services
Scientific Games Investments Itália
Banco Credit Agricole Brasil
Association of Workers of the Bank of Brasilia (Associação dos Empregados do Banco de Brasília – AEBRB).
Companhia Estadual de Energia Elétrica – Geração e Transmissão (CEEE-GT)
Companhia Estadual de Energia Elétrica – Distribuição (CEEE-D)
Banrisul – Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
- Assisted IGT and Scientific Games with their joint venture to participate in all profitable opportunities in several state lotteries.
- Advised AEBRB, a minority shareholder of the Bank of Brasília (BRB), a commercial bank controlled by the government of the Federal District, on the corporate reorganisation of BRB.