The 'exceptional' litigation team at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados is entrusted by heavyweight clients across various industries in sensitive disputes. The firm's strong experience in complex cases sees it representing clients in cases before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice, and its experience also extends to proceedings before courts in the Centre West region and in the 1st Federal Regional Court. Brasília-based dispute resolution expert Maricí Giannico has a focus on appellate litigation, with particular specialisms in administrative law litigation, as well as energy and regulatory matters. Also of note are the firm's experienced associates, including Marina de Mello Cerqueira Zarur, Frederico Bastos Pinheiro Martins and Rafael Sonda Vieira. São Paulo-based litigator Flavio Pereira Lima is also noted.
Litigation in Brazil
‘The Mattos Filho litigation team is exceptional. The service is personalised. Lawyers are always very engaged with their clients’ cases.’
‘Frederico Bastos Martins and Flavio Pereira Lima are recommended.’
CESP – Cia Energética de São Paulo
Associação Brasileira da Infraestrutura e Indústria de Base
Instituto Brasileiro do Petróleo
Chubb Seguros Brasil
VRG Linhas Aéreas
Enel Distribuição Goiás
Instituto de Defesa do Direito de Defesa
Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
Sanofi Pasteur Brasil
Associação Brasileira de Distribuidores de Energia Elétrica
Iveco Magirus Brandschutz-Technik
CNH Industrial Brasil
Gatesair do Brasil
- Assisted WhatsApp in its engagement with the Electoral Superior Court to collaborate and support Brazilian electoral justice on the challenge of combating fake news.
- Represents CAOA in three appeals in course at the Superior Court of Justice. All the cases arose from an execution originally filed by Banco Santos (now bankrupt) regarding loans made by the bank to CAOA.
- Represents IDDD in Class Action No. 0019161-30.2011.4.01.3400, filed against the federal government, aiming to readjust the architecture of certain rooms in federal prisons.
Noted for its 'innovative way of advocating and offering legal solutions', Pinheiro Neto Advogados' Brasília-based litigation team is among the best in the market. The firm is regularly involved in high-profile cases before the superior courts, where it is able to field cross-office teams of expert litigators from Brasília and São Paulo. In a case that could set the policy for the privatisation of subsidiaries of public companies in the country, the firm is representing Caixa Econômica Federal as amicus curiae in direct actions of unconstitutionality filed by political parties and labour unions concerning the corporate restructuring and divestiture of Caixa Econômica Federal and its subsidiaries. Names to note in the sizeable team include appellate litigation specialists Vicente Coelho Araujo and Leonardo Rocha e Silva, José Alexandre Buaiz Neto and government relations and mining expert Carlos Vilhena. Daniel Costa Rebello and associate and competition law expert José Rubens Battazza Iasbech are also noted.
‘Its excellence in service, quality in the innovative way of advocating and offering legal solutions, make it stand out, reflecting in our view respect and trust in the legal market.’
‘Leonardo Rocha e Silva and Jose Rubens Iasbech Batazza: Extremely dedicated team, involved in the topics and technically very good.’
‘Leonardo Rocha e Silva knows the environment in which he works very well and the litigation as such. Excellent lawyer. Jose Rubens – handles day-to-day cases with extreme quality.’
‘Daniel Costa Rebello is recommended.’
- Obtained an important decision from the Federal Supreme Court on behalf of client Alstom; in Alstom’s dispute with Metrô-DF, the Supreme Court rejected another appeal filed by Metrô-DF and confirmed Alstom’s right to receive amounts due to the breach of contracts through regular enforcement measures.
- Acted for Motion Picture Association America Latina as amicus curiae in a direct action for declaration of unconstitutionality filed before the Brazilian Supreme Court by The Brazilian Association of Independent Television Producers – BRAVI.
- Acting for Caixa Econômica Federal in a case concerning the constitutionality of Provisional Measure No. 995, which provided for measures related to the corporate restructuring and divestiture of the client.
Sergio Bermudes Advogados 'brings together technical quality and strategic vision', and the team 'includes both renowned academics and lawyers with extensive experience in litigation'. The firm has a well-established presence in Brasília, where it fields a sizeable team of partners and associates. The team's experience in high-stakes litigation before the superior courts is of note, and the department is also equipped to assist clients before administrative bodies and regulatory agencies. André Silveira is highlighted for his 'great expertise in litigation'; Guilherme Coelho for his 'extensive knowledge in regulatory and insurance law'; and Flávio Jardim for his 'great knowledge of the Brazilian electricity sector'. Public law litigation experts Guiomar Feitosa Lima Mendes and Luis Felipe Lisboa are also key names in the team, which benefits from the input of its experienced associates, including Jessica Baqui, Ana Gabriela Leite Ribeiro, Mateus Rocha Tomaz and Ana Paula de Paula.
André Silveira; Guiomar Feitosa Mendes; Flávio Jardim
‘The lawyers are trained and are able to bring together technical quality and strategic vision.’
‘I especially recommend the partner Guilherme Coelho, who has extensive knowledge in regulatory and insurance law. He has experience in the areas, transmits security and is clear both when diagnosing legal complications and in pointing out possible solutions to the problems.’
‘Sergio Bermudes Advogados provides an excellent service, due to the high legal qualification of its team, which includes both renowned academics and lawyers with extensive experience in litigation.’
‘I would particularly recommend the partners: Flávio Jardim, who adds an academic profile (professor and doctor in law) with great knowledge of the Brazilian electricity sector and enormous experience in litigation. André Silveira, for his great expertise in litigation. Guilherme Coelho, for his strong profile and skills in litigation.’
‘The firm has a team of specialised lawyers, who are attentive and dedicated in dealing with their actions. Lawyers really delve into procedural issues, generating a service of quality and excellence.’
‘Guilherme Coelho, Adilson Macabu and Márcio Vieira. Always being accessible by WhatsApp or cell phone for discussion of strategies etc.’
CNC – Confederação Nacional do Comércio
Leste Litigation Finance
DPSP – Drogaria Pacheco-Drogaria São Paulo
AMB – Associação da Magistratura Brasileira
NTU – Associação das Empresas de Ônibus Urbanos
Cassi – Caixa de Assist. dos Funcionários do Banco do Brasil
Fieam – Federação das Indústrias do Estado do Amazonas
Fenasaúde – Federação Nacional de Saúde Suplementar
Abradee – Assoc. Bras. dos Distrib. de Energia Elétrica
Abrace – Assoc. dos Grandes Consum. de Energia Elétrica
Abragel – Assoc. Bras. de Geração de Energia Limpa
Apine – Assoc. Bras. dos Prod. Indep. de Energia Elétrica
- Represented CNC in the Direct Action of Unconstitutionality (ADI) 3,435, regarding the unconstitutionality of a law that granted discounts of 15% to 30% for elderly people to buy medicines in private pharmacies and drugstores.
- Represents ANEAA in a lawsuit filed against ANAC – the National Agency of Civil Aviation.
- Represents White Martins in a R$2bn+ dispute against the Brazilian Competition Authority – CADE.
'An office that values the quality of services, transparency and ethics', specialised dispute resolution firm BFBM – Barroso Fontelles, Barcellos, Mendonça & Associados attracts a strong following from household name companies, particularly those operating in the technology, telecoms and financial services sectors. Much of its appeal lies in its ability to handle a large number of cases in administrative and judicial proceedings and arbitration, including high-stakes disputes with significant ramifications. Key practitioners in the team include Rafael Barroso Fontelles, 'great partner' Eduardo Mendonça, 'innovator' and telecoms-sector specialist Felipe Monnerat Solon de Pontes, who is noted for his 'great knowledge of the jurisprudence of the country and internationally', and 'business oriented' and 'technically impeccable' partner Ana Paula de Barcellos, who stands out for her knowledge of public law and regulatory matters. Márcio Monteiro Reis and associates Priscilla Pestana and Paulo Henrique Figueredo de Araújo also receive praise.
Rafael Barroso Fontelles; Eduardo Mendonça; Felipe Monnerat Solon de Pontes
‘Always high technical quality at all professional and seniority levels. Ana Paula de Barcellos: business oriented, client centrality, technically impeccable.’
‘Very high quality of legal documents, strategic reasoning, assertive positioning and at the same time cordial before the courts, excellent performance and result. Eduardo Mendonça is recommended.’
‘The first and main highlight is the brightness and capacity of partner Eduardo Mendonça. He is always available, he understands the company’s business very well and helps us to make strategic decisions. He’s a great partner. Eduardo formed a team of the highest quality that gives him support and allows him to be a great reference in Brasilia. It is worth noting that in a market as competitive as Brasília, with its own characteristics, it is comforting to be able to count on an office that values the quality of services, transparency and ethics.’
‘Eduardo Mendonça: main partner with whom we work in the office. He has an enormous capacity for work, as well as a unique understanding of our activity and our market. He is always available and offers services at a very high level of quality. He is our main partner in strategic litigation in Brasilia.’
‘Very well structured office to analyse eventual processes of bodies such as the TCU, establish the best defence strategy, search for supporting evidence, interact with the client with attention and promptness in preparing the response, accept any comments, access the offices of the authorities to presentation of memorials and achieving success in judging customers.’
‘Márcio Monteiro Reis – who leads the team of the BFBM office in planning, preparing and effectively defending the client before the authority, such as TCU. Priscilla de Souza Pestana – who coordinates the day-to-day arrangements associated with the preparation the commercial proposal, the collection of documents and the preparation of the defense.’
‘I highlight the professionals Priscilla de Souza Pestana Campana and Márcio Monteiro Reis. Differential of attention, dedication and professional ethics, with precise solutions and speed of response.’
‘No office is similar in quality in the provision of service and in-depth knowledge of the client’s business. These two aspects are fundamental to the differential they offer to their customers, guaranteeing effective solutions to the business as a whole. Specifically, the engagement, technical knowledge and involvement of partner Felipe Monnerat Solon de Pontes Rodrigues are impressive and worthy of all recognition. Felipe Monnerat Solon de Pontes Rodrigues is an innovator, involved in the business, great knowledge of the jurisprudence of the country and internationally, as well as with a unique political and business vision. Paulo Araújo is a great area manager, with solid knowledge in material law and interested in the business.’
Banco Itaú Unibanco
Confederação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Gerais, Previdência Privada e Vida, Saúde Suplementar e Capitalização
Fundo Garantidor de Crédito (FGC)
Associação Brasileira de Telesserviços (ABT)
Tristão Cia Com. Exterior
Federação Brasileira de Bancos (FEBRABAN)
Google Brasil Internet
Sindicato dos Docentes de Universidades Federais do Ceará
- Successfully represented BR Distribuidora before the Superior Labour Court.
- Represented CNSEG, acting as assistant to the Brazilian Federal Insurance Agency (SUSEP), in significant cases concerning the insurance sector.
- Retained by a client to challenge a federal executive order on the caps on the maritime pilotage companies prices in Brazil.
Advocacia Fernanda Hernandez excels in complex cases before the Supreme Federal Court. With a solid track record and good reputation in litigation, the firm enjoys longstanding client relationships with companies operating in myriad industries, and also continues to attract instructions from new clients. Fernanda Guimaraes Hernandez distinguishes herself in the market thanks to her extensive experience in this field; she leads the practice, which has recently handled cases involving the healthcare, transport, automotive, construction and real estate sectors, among others. Isadora Cronemberger Caixeta, Luciana Marques dos Reis Frattini, Rafaella Alencar Ribeiro and Blader Henrique de Lira Soares are other key contacts in the team.
Fernanda Guimarães Hernandez
‘I would recommend the partner Dr. Fernanda Hernandez for her experience, knowledge and professional brilliance, as well as the lawyers Blader Soares and Isadora Caixeta for their agility and excellent work.’
‘Fernanda Hernandez: commitment, responsibility and knowledge.’
‘Fernanda Hernandez and Luciana Fratini are recommended.’
Jive Investments Consultoria
Expressa Distribuidora de Medicamentos
Maisbarato Comércio de Bebida e Alimentos
Grupo Solví Participações
Anglo Ferrous Brazil
Líder Táxi Aéreo
Sotave Amazônica Química e Mineral
Base Investimentos e Incorporações
- Representing Expressa Distribuidora de Medicamentos in a case before the Supreme Court of Brazil concerning ICMS.
- Acting for clients in actions filed by companies in the sugar and alcohol sector, in which the Federal Union was condemned to indemnify them due to the non-observance of the correspondent values of the production cost indicated by Fundação Getúlio Vargas.
- Representing a client in a special appeal to discuss the incidence of interest and monetary correction provided in an arbitration award.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados is well recognised for its strength in litigation, and its Brasília-based team forms an important part of the firm's overall dispute resolution offering. Cristiane Romano leads the practice in Brasília, and is noted for her experience before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice, as well as regulatory agencies. João Vitor Luke Reis is another key contact.
The Brasília-based disputes team at BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão can regularly be found representing its diverse range of clients in cases before the Superior Court of Justice, Supreme Federal Court and Superior Labour Court. Benefiting from the firm's national presence and reputation, it is able to field cross-office teams to handle major disputes, with particular expertise covering anti-corruption, government contracting and administrative misconduct, among other areas. 'Exceptional technician' and practice head André Macedo de Oliveira is noted for his 'deep knowledge of federal institutions'. Giovani Menicucci, who provides 'simple and effective solutions for complex demands', and Sarah Roriz de Freitas are key associates in the team.
André Macedo de Oliveira
‘Personalised service, excellence and the ability to build solutions with differentiated technical quality within the scope of the higher courts, control bodies and in the Legislative and Executive Powers.‘
‘I would like to highlight the work of the lawyer Giovani Trindade Menicucci, for the excellent technical quality, the construction of simple and effective solutions for complex demands, and the speed and quality in handling with other teams in the office.’
‘André Macedo is an exceptional technician, with deep knowledge of federal institutions, which makes his performance of great value in the legal environment of Brasília.’
Morocó Participações e Comércio
Airbnb Ireland UC
Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional
Peróxidos do Brasil
Magnamed Tecnologia Médica
TAM Linhas Aéreas S.A. (Latam)
Abengoa Construção Brasil
Delta Engenharia, Indústria e Comércio
Brasil Holanda de Indústria
Dataprom Equipamentos e Serviços de Informática Industrial
Copa do Mundo FIFA – Comitê Organizador Brasileiro (COL)
G4S Brazil Holding
Ibi Promotora de Vendas
Energisa Tocantins Distribuidora de Energia
- Assisting Airbnb in appeals before the Superior Court of Justice regarding the legality of its business model in Brazil.
- Advised Magnamed on claims before the Federal Supreme Court regarding the acquisition of hospital supplies (lung ventilators) by Mato Grosso and Piauí during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing Nexans in a claim before the First Region Federal Court, aiming to annul a fine imposed by CADE for an alleged international cartel in the market for high voltage underground cables and high voltage and lower voltage submarine cables.
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados
Infrastructure, public contracts and regulatory matters are areas of special expertise for Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados, which is well versed in cases and investigations involving the Public Prosecutor's Office, the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU) and the Ministry of Transparency and Comptroller General of the Union (CGU), and also represents clients before the superior courts in Brasília. In addition to large construction and infrastructure companies, the team has also established a significant following in the technology and telecoms sectors, among others. Guilherme Magaldi, Antonio Henrique Medeiros Coutinho and Arthur Lima Guedes are the names to note.
Guilherme Magaldi; Antonio Henrique Medeiros Coutinho
‘Personalised service. Dr Arthur Guedes: attention to the client, deep knowledge of law.’
Concessionária de Rodovias Galvão BR-153 SPE
BT Brasil Serviços de Telecomunicações
Associação Brasileira de Terminais Portuários – ABTP
Concessionária Rio-Teresópolis – CRT
Capgemini Latin America and Capgemini Brasil
Concessionária Rota do Oeste – CRO
Rádio e Televisão Bandeirantes
- Represented Concessionária Rio Teresópolis (CRT) in a lawsuit against the Federal Union and the National Land Transport Agency (ANTT), aimed at restoring the economic and financial balance of its contract with the administration.
- Represented Andrade Gutierrez in an administrative improbity action that aimed to annul the public bidding for the construction of Line 5 of the São Paulo Metro and other contracts.
- Represented Bandeirantes-Deicmar in a lawsuit which object was the maintenance of the port lease agreement with the public administration.
Litigation remains a core area of focus for full-service firm Siqueira Castro – Advogados, which has extensive coverage across the country thanks to its office network. Its Brasília office is particularly active in litigation before the superior courts, handling cases spanning tax, breach of contract, debt collection and shareholder disputes, among others. The department's client base is equally broad, and includes a range of mining, energy, construction, retail and manufacturing companies. Regulatory, civil and administrative litigation expert Marina de Araújo Lopes, Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro and civil and consumer law specialist André Gondinho are key practitioners.
Marina de Araújo Lopes; Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro; André Gondinho
Abetre – Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Tratamento de Resíduos e Poluentes
Peixe Urbano Web Serviços Digitais
Agência Brasileira de Promoção de Exportações e Investimentos – APEX Brasil
Agência Brasileira de Desenvolvimento Industrial – ABDI
CEG – Companhia Distribuidora de Gás do Rio de Janeiro
Iguatemi Empresa de Shopping Centers S/a and Icatu Holding
FETRANSPOR – Federação das Empresas de Transportes de Passageiros do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
Michelin de Participações Indústria e Comércio
- Acted for a client in a direct action of unconstitutionality and in a declaratory action of constitutionality, proposed in relation to several legal provisions of Law No. 12.651/2012 (Forest Code).
- Represented a client in an extraordinary appeal concerning the contributions levied on employee remuneration destined to Brazilian Micro and Small Business Support (Sebrae), Apex-Brazil, and the Brazilian Agency for Industrial Development (ABDI).
- Represents CEG – Companhia Distribuidora de Gás do Rio de Janeiro in a civil action in the public interest filed by the Federal Attorney’s Office against CEG, the director of a tax advising company and members of the IRS.
With a strong focus on litigation before the higher courts, Tauil & Chequer Advogados' Brasília team has an impressive track record in high-profile cases. In addition to the Superior Court of Justice and Supreme Federal Court, where it is well versed in filing actions for declarations of unconstitutionality, the team is also able to handle matters before the TCU and regulatory bodies. A former Attorney General of Brazil, Luís Inácio Lucena Adams has vast knowledge of litigation, arbitration and compliance; he works alongside Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves, who is often entrusted by clients in sensitive disputes. Associate Louise Dias specialises in litigation, anti-corruption and compliance.
Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves; Luis Inácio Lucena Adams
‘Client oriented. Focused on results.’
‘Mauro Pedroso and Eduardo Lima are recommended.‘
Confederação Nacional das Indústrias (CNI)
Confederação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Gerais, Previdência Privada e Vida, Saúde Suplementar e Capitalização (CNSeg)
Açúcar e Álcool Oswaldo Ribeiro de Mendonça (Usina Colorado)
Amazonas Geração e Transmissão de Energia
Sociedade Nacional de Combustíveis de Angola (Sonangol)
Indra Brasil Soluções e Serviços Tecnológicos (Indra)
Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – VBI Logístico
Hub Pagamentos (HUB)
- Represented CNSeg in actions for a declaration of unconstitutionality, regarding several state laws, before the Brazilian Supreme Court (STF).
- Represented Sonangol in a lawsuit filed by TGP; the client’s appeal was granted by the Superior Court of Justice (STJ).
- Represented Consórcio Walks in several lawsuits and appeals regarding a public bid for the next concessionaire of public street lighting in the city of São Paulo.