Litigation in Brazil
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados' Brasília-based litigation team is led by Cristiane Romano and has notable experience before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice. A healthy portion of its varied workload involves representing clients from highly regulated sectors - including oil and gas, energy and telecoms, among others - in a range of judicial and administrative disputes. In a recent victory, the team successfully represented Breitener Energetica, which is responsible for the supply and generation of energy to the state of Amazonas, in a contract dispute against Amazonas Energy. João Vitor Luke Reis has strong knowledge of private pension funds and labour litigation. Energy disputes expert Leandro Peliz and Janaína Castro, who specialises in analysing litigation at the higher courts, are key contacts at the associate level.
G4S Secure Solutions International
Bank of America Merril Lynch
SISTEL – Fundação Sistel de Seguridade Social
Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras
Postalis Instituto de Previdência Complementar
Viação Águia Branca
Brazilian Petroleum, Gas and Biofuels Institute (IBP)
- Represented Breitener Energetica in a contract dispute with Amazonas Energy before the Federal District Court of Justice.
- Acted for Ouro Verde, seeking the annulment of a fine imposed by the Supreme Court following the 2018 truck drivers’ strike.
- Defends the interests of Petrobras Social Security Foundation – PETROS in a lawsuit concerning the nullity of the subpoenas of the Parliamentary Inquiry Commission set up to discuss the divestments of Petrobras’s assets.
- Representing Associação Brasileira de Pirotecnia (ASSOBRAPI), in a dispute relating to a municipal law of São Paulo which prohibits the handling, use, burning and release of noisy fireworks and pyrotechnic devices.
Litigation is a core focus for the Brasília team at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados. It stands out for its experience in cases before the Supreme Federal Court and Superior Court of Justice, and is equipped to represent companies across a multitude of industries, including infrastructure, electricity, technology and insurance. In a recent case, the team acted for the Brazilian Association of Infrastructure and Base Industries (ABDIB) as amicus curiae in a direct unconstitutionality action concerning sensitive issues in the infrastructure sector filed by the Attorney General's Office. Practice head Maricí Giannico is an expert in civil and commercial litigation and has ancillary expertise in judicial restructuring. Marselhe Cristina de Mattos and André Tavares Accioly de Oliveira are active associates in the team and are often involved in the department's cases at both the trial and appellate levels.
‘Know how, expertise, quality, efficiency.‘
CESP – Cia Energética de São Paulo
Associação Brasileira da Infraestrutura e Indústria de Base
Instituto Brasileiro do Petróleo
Chubb Seguros Brasil
VRG Linhas Aéreas
Enel Distribuição Goiás
Instituto de Defesa do Direito de Defesa
Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
Sanofi Pasteur Brasil
Associação Brasileira de Distribuidores de Energia Elétrica
- Defends CELG-D in two class actions against the company and others seeking to annul the sale of the electric power company of the State of Goiás to the private sector.
- Represents CESP in a lawsuit filed against the Federal Government aiming to establish the revenues and amounts for unamortised assets relating to the basic project to be earned by the company for operating the Três Irmãos power plant.
- Represents ABDIB as amicus curiae in a direct unconstitutionality action which questions the constitutionality of several sections of Federal Law no. 13.448/2016.
- Represents IDDD in a class action filed against the federal government concerning contact areas in federal prisons.
Highly regarded Brasília-based boutique firm Advocacia Fernanda Hernandez specialises in litigation, with vast experience before the Supreme Federal Court, including representing parties as amicus curiae in sensitive cases. The firm is particularly strong in tax and public law matters. Many of its clients are longstanding, having worked with the team for over a decade, although the firm also continues to attract instructions from new clients. 'Excellent' lawyer Fernanda Guimaraes Hernandez is 'able to create a culture inside the office which follows her principles'.
‘Hard work, ethics and commitment. Expert team with effort to achieve goals.‘
‘All the lawyers are extremely capable and Ms. Hernandez is one of most brilliant people I’ve ever worked with. The team is great but she is excellent. She is able to create a culture inside the office which follows her principles; ethical, hardworking, and committed to achieving the goals.‘
‘They know our lawsuits more than our internal team. And not because we lost some history, but because they research any and all subjects that have reference to our cases.‘
Jive Investments Consultoria
Advocacia Gandra Martins
Cascol Combustíveis para Veículos
Maisbarato Comércio de Bebida e Alimentos
Banco BS2 (formerly: Banco Bonsucesso)
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Juscapital – Jus Capital Gestão de Recursos
- Acting for Sotave Amazônia Química e Mineral in an expropriation action filed by Portobrás, which is no longer in existence and whose rights and obligations had been transferred to the Federal Union.
- Advising three real estate companies in all judicial phases on their attempt to contest and overthrow their suggested joint liability for the labour debts of the economic group of which they are a part.
- Defending a client in an action that seeks the recovery of contractual attorney’s fees arising from a successful intervention in an administrative procedure.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has an impressive track record in litigation, including before the higher courts in Brasília. One recent matter in a string of successful higher court victories saw Vicente Coelho Araujo successfully defend Saint-Gobain in a public civil action filed by the Public Prosecutor's Office of São Paulo seeking that the company be required to add a late payment clause to all of its showroom sales contracts in case of delay in the delivery of goods. 'Excellent lawyer' Leonardo Rocha e Silva focuses his practice on antitrust and civil litigation, with particular experience before the appellate courts.
‘The office has several teams working in the most diverse areas and with international experience. All teams have experienced lawyers with consolidated knowledge. They always present innovative solutions and objective answers to queries. Are always available for contact and urgent meetings. The fees are compatible with the quality of the work provided.’
‘Celso Cintra Mori is a top tier litigator. Celso is an impressive and skilled advocate and an excellent strategy.‘
‘Leonardo Rocha e Silva is an excellent lawyer and a rising star.‘
‘Top level litigation group, second to none.‘
‘Team members have a multidisciplinary vision. They are able to analyse the demands in a timely and objective way. Colleagues convey conviction and security in the guidelines and recommendations.‘
Siemens AG and Siemens
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica (CCEE)
Produtos Roche Químicos e Farmacêuticos
Isolux – Córsan
Associação Brasileira de Medicamentos Isentos de Prescrição (ABIMIP)
- Successfully defended Chinese company CMOC’s Brazilian niobium and phosphate mining subsidiaries in two public civil actions filed by Goias State’s Public Prosecutors’ Office and concerning CMOC’s operation of tailings dams.
- Defended Saint-Gobain before the Superior Court of Justice in a public civil action filed by the Public Prosecutor’s Office of São Paulo.
- Defended Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica against Companhia de Petróleo, Gás e Energia, successfully obtaining the reversal of successive unfavourable lower court decisions in the Superior Court of Justice.
Specialised dispute resolution firm Sergio Bermudes Advogados has over 50 years in the market and established an office in Brasília back in 2001. Its areas of expertise span constitutional, administrative, civil, corporate, energy and electoral law, while clients include well-known companies as well as industry associations. Key names in the highly experienced Brasília-based team include André Silveira, Flávio Jardim, Guiomar Feitosa Lima Mendes, who is particularly strong in public law litigation, and recommended associate Guilherme Coelho.
‘The Bermudes’s team is strong and competent. They are quick to understand the issues and to present the specific solutions. The lawyers have knowledge in many areas of law, and it makes the difference.’
‘I have worked with Márcio Vieira, Guilherme Coelho and Adilson Macabu. It has been a great experience, because they stand-out for their responsibility, proficiency and agility dealing with important cases.‘
Associação da Magistratura Brasileira (AMB)
Associação das Empresas de Ônibus Urbanos (NTU)
Caixa de Assist. dos Funcionários do Banco do Brasil (Cassi)
Federação das Indústrias do Estado do Amazonas (Fieam)
Federação Nacional de Saúde Suplementar (Fenasaúde)
Associação Bras. dos Distrib. de Energia Elétrica (Abradee)
Associação dos Grandes Consum. de Energia Elétrica (Abrace)
Associação Bras. de Geração de Energia Limpa (Abragel)
Associação Bras. dos Prod. Indep. de Energia Elétrica (Apine)
CIIB (Cegelec) / Vinci Energies / Vinci
EDP Energias Renováveis
Positivo Tecnologia / Grupo Positivo
Posidonia Serviços Marítimos
Smart Catering – Doog
Legião Urbana Produções Artísticas
- Representing BR Distribuidora in a R$8bn dispute filed by Grupo Forte.
- Represented Fenasaúde in a special appeal before the Superior Court of Justice, discussing whether the list of services that must be provided by health insurance programmes -as issued by the National Health Agency- needs be exhaustive or not.
- Representing White Martins in an action against the Brazilian Competition Authority (CADE) seeking to invalidate an administrative decision condemning the company for the alleged formation of a cartel.
BFBM – Barroso Fontelles, Barcellos, Mendonça & Associados has several offices across the country; its Brasília office allows it proximity to the superior courts, where it has a notable presence. The firm is notable for its track record in the TMT sector, with clients including Google, Associação Brasileira de Telesserviços (ABT) and Telefônica. Rafael Barroso Fontelles, Eduardo Mendonça and Felipe Monnerat lead the team, which expanded in 2019 with the hire of Renata Saraiva, formerly a ministerial chief of staff at the Supreme Federal Court, who has particular constitutional law expertise.
Banco Itaú Unibanco
Confederação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Gerais, Previdência Privada e Vida, Saúde Suplementar e Capitalização
Fundo Garantidor de Crédito (FGC)
Associação Brasileira de Telesserviços (ABT)
Federação Brasileira de Bancos (FEBRABAN)
Tribunal da Justiça de Tocantins
- Acted for Associação Brasileira de Telesserviços (ABT) in seeking a reversal of a labour courts legal interpretation concerning call centres by means of a Supreme Court appeal.
- Assisting Tristão Cia de Comércio Exterior in a complex tax reimbursement claim that originated in the 1990s and has had various ramifications in both the Supreme Court and Superior Court of Justice.
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados
Piquet, Magaldi e Guedes Advogados specialises in infrastructure and construction and is well versed in complex litigation in these sectors, including before the federal courts, audit courts and regulatory bodies. It has also expanded into the IT and telecoms sectors, where its clients include Capgemini and BT Brasil Serviços de Telecomunicação. Guilherme Magaldi and Antonio Henrique Medeiros Coutinho head the litigation department. Arthur Lima Guedes has a strong specialism in litigation before the Federal Court of Accounts.
‘Very cost efficient with outstanding quality of work. Know the Brazilian context very well and can advise beyond simple legal expertise.‘
‘Arthur Guedes and Guilherme Henrique Magaldi Netto are not only great experts but also very social people, which make it agreeable to work with them. Guilherme’s European experience is also helpful when you are a European company operating in Brazil, as he knows where we come from.’
Concessionária Rio Teresópolis (CRT)
Concessionária de Rodovias Galvão BR-153
Diebold Brasil (formerly: Procomp Indústria Eletrônica)
Capgemini Latin America / Capgemini Brasil
Emissora Rádio e Televisão Bandeirantes (Band)
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Concessionária Rota do Oeste
BT Brasil Serviços de Telecomunicação
- Represents Diebold Brasil (formerly Procomp Indústria Eletrônica) in a R$15m lawsuit filed by Teleinformática Comércio e Representações.
- Represents Capgemini Latin America and Capgemini Brasil in proceedings before the Federal Court of Accounts as well as civil litigation involving public contracts.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados' geographic reach - 18 offices nationwide - distinguishes it in the market; it has a presence in strategic locations around the country, including in Brasília. In litigation, the office balances a varied workload and acts for companies operating in the construction, e-commerce, retail and transport sectors, among others. Marina de Araújo Lopes coordinates the Brasília office and draws on over 10 years of experience in business litigation.
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev)
Peixe Urbano Web Servicos Digitais
- Representing metals and mining company Vale in various class action cases seeking to reverse its privatisation.
- Acting for Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Tratamento de Resíduos e Poluentes (ABETRE) in an environmental case.
The Brasília office at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown was bolstered by the arrival of Mauro Pedroso Gonçalves from Trench Rossi Watanabe in April 2019. He joined Luís Inácio Lucena Adams, who is an expert in compliance, anti-corruption and litigation, including before the higher courts. The department's recent caseload includes contract and IP litigation as well as administrative proceedings before the Administrative Tax Appeals Council (CARF) and other bodies.
Confederação Nacional das Indústrias (CNI)
Confederação Nacional das Seguradoras (CNSeg)
Amazonas Geração e Transmissão de Energia
Grupo OK Construções e Empreendimentos
Sociedade Nacional de Combustíveis de Angola (Sonangol)
Politec Teclonogia da Informação (Indra)
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Sindicato Nacional das Empresas de Telefonia e de Serviço Móvel Celular e Pessoal (Sinditelebrasil)
- Represented CDPQ and a consortium formed by CDPQ, Engie Brasil Energia and GDF International, before the Brazilian Supreme Court regarding the sale process of Transportadora Associada de Gás (TAG), a Petrobras subsidiary.
- Acted for Sonangol in an appeal at the Superior Court of Justice concerning a contractual dispute.