Natural resources and regulation in Brazil
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados' Belo Horizonte office is a go-to destination for natural resources regulation matters arising from domestic and cross-border M&A, capital markets transactions and financing matters. The department is jointly led by Frederico Viana Rodrigues and Marcelo Mendo Gomes De Souza, who stands out for transactional work involving mining companies. Mauricio Pellegrino has a strong background in mining and environmental law, while Paula Azevedo is noted for advising on the regulation of tailing dams.
Companhia de Saneamento Básico do Estado de São Paulo – SABESP
Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração
Kinross Brasil Mineração
- Provided legal advice to Samarco Mineração on matters regarding the company’s relations with public authorities after the Mariana dam disaster.
- Assisted Vale with regulatory matters related to the Brumadinho disaster, including analysis and opinion on all the company’s tailing dam emergency action plans.
- Advised Sul Americana de Metais on the mining and environmental regulatory matters related to the installation of its Block 8 Project in the state of Minas Gerais.
- Represents Anglo American in several mining matters in civil courts, including lawsuits to ensure the company’s rights to use the lands needed for the mineral activities.
- Defends Nexa’s interests in a strategic public civil action filed by the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Juína/MT regarding illegal gold exploitation on the area of some of Nexa’s mining rights.
William Freire Advogados
William Freire Advogados provides support to clients throughout the entire lifecycle of mining projects. The practice is not only adept at conducting due diligence, advising investors on regulatory issues and assisting with cross-border transactions, but is also proficient in judicial and arbitral proceedings, as well as administrative matters before regulatory bodies. Mining expert Tiago de Mattos leads the team, which also includes William Freire, who brings together expertise in mining and environmental law.
Nacional de Grafite
The regulatory department at Freitas Ferraz Capuruço Braichi Riccio Advogados undertakes work in relation to mining and energy-related transactions, standing out particularly in deals involving mining assets and hydroelectric power plants. In addition to assisting clients with complex regulatory issues in the energy and mining sectors, the team is also well versed in compliance and litigation. Thiago Riccio leads the group; he has extensive experience in renewable energy policy development and project finance, among other areas.
Horizonte Minerals PLC
- Provided a legal opinion to Horizonte Minerals regarding the mining good standing of the Araguaia Ferronickel Project.
Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados
Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados is particularly strong in non-contentious matters involving mining law and regulatory issues. The team brings together multi-disciplinary expertise in real estate, litigation and environmental law to assist clients on the development of mining projects. Thiago Pastor and Fabio Appendino are the key points of contact.