Dispute resolution in Brazil
Fialho Salles Advogados
The dispute resolution group at Fialho Salles Advogados assists clients in contentious matters concerning private and economic law, tax and public law, fielding specialist teams dedicated to these areas. Practitioners are proficient in judicial and arbitral proceedings, demonstrating particular strength in contractual disputes arising in the engineering and construction sectors, as well as corporate and competition issues. Érico Andrade and Gustavo Magalhães co-ordinate public law-related litigation, offering representation to clients in relation to regulatory issues, disputes involving public-private partnerships (PPPs), concessions and governmental contracts. Leonardo Canabrava leads advice on litigation and arbitration regarding commercial contracts, international trade and antitrust law.
AESBE – Associação Brasileira da Empresas Estaduais de Saneamento
BRK Ambiental Participações
Empresa Construtora Brasil / Mota Engil Engenharia e Construção
Consita Tratamento de Resíduos
Líder Táxi Aéreo
Somos Educação e Participações
Viasolo Engenharia Ambiental
Construtora Barbosa Mello
Odebrecht Engenharia e Construções
Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais – UsiminasABB
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Patologia Clínica São Marcos
Snef Serviços e Montagens
Sumup Soluções de Pagamento Brasil
Localiza Rent a Car
Inspira Mudança Participações
Up Brasil – Polycard Systems e Servicos
Construtora Andrade Gutierrez
Aliança Geração de Energia
- Represented Líder Signature in lawsuits against INFRAERO, the Civil Aviation Federal Agency, in relation to the leasing contracts of hangars in Congonhas Airport, one of the major airports in São Paulo.
- Acted for FECOMBUSTÍVEIS – Federação Nacional do Comércio de Combustível e de Lubrificantes in a public lawsuit concerning the pilot project of fuel delivery through an app.
- Represented Via Shopping Empreendimentos e Participações in a complaint, filed by BHtrans, arguing that a monthly allowance regarding a concession contract was not being paid.
- Assisted AESBE – Associação das Empresas de Saneamento Básico Estaduais in a lawsuit questioning the constitutionality of a law concerning water and sewage services users.
- Represented Construtora Terrayama in arbitral proceedings initiated for the compensation of losses arising from the contractual breaches committed by the state agency DER-ES.
Azevedo Sette Advogados' Belo Horizonte-based dispute resolution team represents domestic and international clients in a range of litigation and arbitration. The team is well versed in class actions and credit recovery, assisting companies which are involved in commercial and civil disputes. João Capanema and Marcos Augusto Leonardo Ribeiro are names to note.
Grebler Advogados acts for clients in the infrastructure, construction, real estate, mining and steel industries, assisting in disputes pertaining to corporate and contractual law, international agreements and foreign investment. The team excels in arbitration, but is also well equipped to represent clients in judicial and administrative proceedings. Eduardo Grebler is noted for his solid background in arbitration, which is also an area of focus for Pedro Soares. Eduardo Mohallem's notable fields of practice include strategic litigation.
Embel Empresa de Bebidas
Merck Sharp Dohme
ETC – Empresa Taquaril de Terrenos e Construções
AG Metalúrgica Fischer
MGI Minas Gerais Participações
- Provided legal representation to Embel Empresa de Bebidas, a large liquor distributor, during its judicial reorganisation and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Provided legal representation to an association of former employees who suffered damages caused by an investment fund created during the 1990s as an alternative to the employee retirement plan.
- Acts for ArcelorMittal Brasil against former owners of large areas where the company has mining activities.
Humberto Theodoro Jr. Sociedade de Advogados
Humberto Theodoro Jr. Sociedade de Advogados is a leading force in the dispute resolution market in Belo Horizonte and the wider region of Minas Gerais. The team stands out for its extensive experience in strategic litigation and arbitration, encompassing a variety of industries. Humberto Theodoro Junior is a key point of contact. Other practitioners to note include Juliana Cordeiro de Faria and Humberto Theodoro Neto.
Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados
Focusing on judicial and administrative litigation, the dispute resolution team at Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados handles conflicts arising from distribution agreements, mining contracts, real estate issues and consumer claims, as well as regulatory law concerning the energy and telecoms sectors. Department head Helvécio Franco Maia Júnior has a strong track record in corporate litigation and arbitration. Patrícia Pilo Bittencourt Redig possesses substantial experience in dispute resolution, within both the judicial and arbitral spheres. Felipe Renault Coelho da Silva Pereira has in-depth knowledge of disputes in the energy and telecoms markets.
FCA Fiat Chrysler Automóveis do Brasil
Mercedes-Benz do Brasil
Ciber Equipamentos Rodoviários
ADM do BrasilAlgar Telecom
CNH Latin America
Zurich Brasil Seguros
Anglogold Ashanti Córrego do Sítio Mineração
- Acted for FCA Fiat Chrysler Automóveis do Brasil in two lawsuits involving damages claims due to contractual infractions allegedly committed by the manufacturer, leading to the termination of the distribution contract.
- Advises Gerdau Group on several possessory actions in which the company is seeking to recover possession of real state.
- Defends CPFL in several lawsuits filed against the client and ANEEL (the Brazilian Energy Regulatory Agency) by municipalities, concerning public lighting assets.
- Acting for Claro in several actions aiming to annul penalties applied by the State Prosecutor’s Office.
Tolentino Advogados S/C
Tolentino Advogados S/C covers litigation, mediation and arbitration, and is specialised in preventative strategies and dispute settlement. A diverse range of clients, operating in sectors such as construction, mining, real estate, banking and infrastructure, seek the team's legal support in civil and commercial disputes. The department is jointly led by Augusto Tolentino, whose experience in judicial and arbitral proceedings spans more than three decades, and Cláudia Ferraz , who stands out in procedural law. Daniel Freitas Drumond Bento is another noteworthy practitioner.
‘The team is competent and hard-working. Lawyers are focused and committed to quality.’
‘The law firm has great experience in litigation, especially in cases which need technical evidence. The team is carefully dedicated and has a great knowledge of the client business. Claudia Ferraz is recommended.’
Vilas Boas, Lopes e Frattari Advogados
Vilas Boas, Lopes e Frattari Advogados excels in civil and corporate litigation and arbitration. The practice is particularly active in disputes involving the mining, automotive, steel, telecoms, energy and construction industries. Focusing on civil and business conflicts, Daniel Vilas Boas leads the department alongside Leonardo Martins Wykrota, who is noted for his thorough knowledge of judicial matters related to commercial, corporate and civil disputes, and Christian Lopes, who is active in arbitration.
‘High quality advice and availability.’
‘Daniel Vilas Boas and Yuri Luna Dias work with responsibility, and understand the necessities of their clients.’
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
USIMINAS – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais
Anglo American Minério de Ferro Brasil
CNH Latin America
Direcional EngenhariaBelgo Bekaert Arames
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados advises foreign and Brazilian clients in litigation related to corporate, tax, labour, public law and M&A disputes. Other notable areas of practice include mining and environmental litigation, as well as commercial arbitration. Gabriel Seijo Leal de Figueiredo, who sits in Salvador, oversees the team with Belo Horizonte-based Frederico Viana Rodrigues and Marcelo Mendo Gomes de Souza. Luiz Nardy combines expertise in mining, restructuring and recovery claims with a solid track record in litigation and arbitration.
‘The team understands your needs, the dynamism with which it must be done and delivers the final product with high quality.’
‘Luiz Nardy stands out for their technical quality, availability and friendly personality.’
‘Luiz Nardy is an engaged leader and always willing to support the demands.’
Associação Nacional de Empresas de Aluguel de Veículos e Gestão de Frotas
Anglo American Minério de Ferro Brasil
Nexa Recursos Minerais
RHI Magnesita Uber do Brasil Tecnologia
Bela Vista Investimentos
- Represented Anglo American Minério de Ferro Brasil in numerous disputes related to the iron ore exploited in the states of Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro.
- Currently advises and represents Nexa Recursos Minerais (Votorantim) in civil and mining matters before civil and federal courts.
- Assisting Grupo Herculano in a number of mining, environmental and civil matters in civil and federal courts.
With a strong litigation and arbitration practice, Freitas Ferraz Capuruço Braichi Riccio Advogados covers shareholder disputes, M&A-related conflicts, company dissolution and unlawful competition practices. Of particular note, the department is active in advising high-net-worth families in Belo Horizonte in the resolution of conflicts. Founding partner Guilherme Capuruço, who in addition to complex litigation also has solid experience in commercial arbitration, spearheads the practice group. André Ruiz is skilled in judicial and arbitration proceedings involving corporate disputes, civil liability, government contracts and credit collection.
‘The team is extremely competent and has in-depth knowledge of legal procedures.’
BTS Properties Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Cosimat Siderúrgica de Matozinhos
HM do Brasil Mineradora
Bruno França Pádua Coelho
Gemma Brazil Quartzitos
América Eficiência Energética
Milton Cabral Moreira and Trianon Sistema de Comunicação
Consita Tratamento de Resíduos
COM Engenharia e Comércio
Araguaia Níquel Metais
Viareggio Empreendimentos Imobiliários
BH Empreendimentos Esportivos
ADE Táxi Aéreo
FM Assessoria e Gestão Esportiva Eireli – EPPT&F Escola de Culinária e Restaurante
- Represents the successors of a former board member of a bank in a civil liability claim, advising the clients on matters related to the liquidation and bankruptcy processes of the bank.
- Acts for BTS Properties, a Belo Horizonte-based company that specialises in built-to-suit investments, in a civil liability claim for unlawful termination of negotiations regarding the project finance of a built-to-suit.
- Represents Cosimat Siderúrgica de Matozinhos and its shareholder, Forte, in a partial dissolution claim filed by a minority shareholder.
The litigation team at Sion Advogados is particularly active in the energy, logistics, infrastructure, mining and oil and gas sectors. The practice has an impressive track record in environmental litigation. Department head Bernardo Pessoa focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration. Founding partner Alexandre Sion is a key practitioner for environmental law issues.
BHP Billiton Brasil
State GridArgo Energia
Arbitration is at the core of Guimarães & Vieira De Mello Advogados' practice. The team regularly advises on disputes arising from issues relating to the construction, IT, mining and energy sectors, to name a few. Founding partner Marcello Vieira de Mello leads the arbitration department.
‘The team handles a variety of cases, mostly involving M&A disputes. The partners are well-known in the market, especially Mr. Marcelo Vieira.’
‘A bilingual team that has knowledge of Anglo-Saxon Law and how it relates to the case at hand. Marcello Vieira De Mello has been superb in structuring a team to assist in whatever matter arises.’
Intralot do Brasil
Canopus Desenvolvimento Imobiliário
SG Comércio Exterior
The dispute resolution team at Moura Tavares, Figueiredo, Moreira e Campos Advogados handles a variety of contentious cases, acting for clients in both judicial litigation and arbitration. The practice is under the leadership of three partners: Alexandre Figueiredo de Andrade Urbano, who specialises in civil law; Ricardo Gorgulho Cunningham, whose areas of expertise include business law; and Marcos Campos de Pinho Resende, who focuses on civil and procedural law.
‘The team is able to handle complex and high value cases.’
‘The team is attentive, comes up with innovative strategies and provides a personalised service.’