Karanovic & Partners in cooperation with local lawyers has an impressive competition department that is particularly adept at advising clients in complex, regional and multi-jurisdictional transactions. The firm’s broad practice covers the full range of competition law issues, including merger control and contentious matters, regularly representing clients before national competition authorities and telecoms regulators. Practice head Nihad Sijerčić advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of corporate and commercial law, including structuring, negotiating and implementing cross-border corporate and asset transfers. Amina Đugum and Nihad Odobašić are other key names to note.
Competition in Bosnia & Herzegovina
Other key lawyers:
Amina Đugum; Nihad Odobašić
United Group (United Media S.à.r.l., Adria News, Telemach, et. al.)
Volkswagen, Daimler Truck, Volvo
IFFCO Food Industries Limited
American Express Limited
- Advising United Group on a number of antitrust, merger control and regulatory proceedings before the competition authorities and telecoms regulators in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advising Philip Morris on competition and compliance-related issues across the SEE region, including reviewing the competition effects of its competitors’ acquisitions in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advising Pfizer on different corporate and commercial issues, including the competition law aspects of it business in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Maric & Co Law Firm stands out for its strong competition practice, covering a range of contentious and non-contentious matters. Ezmana Turković is ‘highly skilled and meticulous’ and jointly leads the team, focusing on merger control, M&A and antitrust work for international clients. She is joined by co-head Džana Smailagić-Hromić, who regularly represents national and international clients in merger control proceedings, as well as abuse of dominance cases. Key individuals include ‘excellent lawyer and seasoned professional‘ Branko Maric, Bojana Bosnjak-London and attorney-at-law Nebojša Marić.
Dzana Smailagic-Hromic; Ezmana Turkovic
Other key lawyers:
Branko Maric; Bojana Bosnjak-London; Nebojša Marić
‘They are very knowledgeable of the local processes and procedures and help our team quite a lot when it comes to dealing with the authorities in Bosnia. We agree on positions easily and have compatible points of view on most matters. Their team is dependable and we enjoy working with them as their implementation of the agreed steps is precise and efficient. That is why they are our preferred partner when it comes to Bosnia.’
‘We work with Branko Maric, an excellent lawyer and a seasoned professional, who is well established in the local legal and business community and has built up the practice very well. He has a very practical and pragmatic approach to legal matters, which we quite appreciate in our cooperation. He is keen on creating the conditions for the best outcomes possible within the given circumstances. We also work with partner Ezmana Turkovic, who is very dedicated to the cases we work on and is the operative heart of the team. She is highly skilled and meticulous in her work.’
‘I have been working with Maric for a long time. They are simply the best lawyers in the country – they cover all areas of law that we need, and each of the employees is extremely specialised, so I know that we will always get the best possible advice. Bosnia is a very complicated market and sometimes it is very difficult to do business, and especially to understand all the risks and problems that may arise. But with Maric Law Firm there is no worry for us, because they have so much experience and knowledge that we know that we are fully insured.’
‘We work with a lot of their attorneys on various assignments. They are all exceptional lawyers, quick to respond but also very thorough. Some names that stand out are Branko Maric, Ezmana Turkovic, Džana Smailagic – Hromic, Bojana Bošnjak-London, Nebojša Maric.’
‘The team is very experienced in competition matters and has a great knowledge of local practice. The team is very responsive and willing to help and assist whenever necessary.’
‘Ezmana Turkovic is an experienced competition law practitioner and we are confident when we have to engage her to work on mandates of our clients.’
Agrokor (Aisle Dutch TopCo B.V. and Agrolaguna)
M.T. Abraham Group
Lufthansa Technik AG
- Assisting in a case before the Competition Council of Bosnia and Herzegovina; submitted complaints asking to investigate the anti-competitive effects of two agreements entered into between subsidiaries of United Group and international broadcasters.
- Representing a bank against a company which initiated a proceeding before the Competition Council due to prohibited competition practices and agreement.
Known for its strong merger control offering, the competition practice at CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz D.O.O. in cooperation with local lawyers regularly advises companies from a variety of sectors, including life sciences, technology, energy and consumer goods. The practice assists clients in all competition law matters, with a particular focus on the competition aspects of commercial, banking and corporate deals. M&A specialist NedžIda Salihović-Whalen regularly advises foreign clients seeking entry into the Bosnian market. Zlatan Balta left the firm in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.
MID EUROPA Partners
Remho Beteiligungs GmbH
Fresenius Medical Care
- Advising Michelin on various aspects of its relationship with distributors and purchasers, including the competition law aspects of contractual relationships and distribution schemes in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Advising AkzoNobel on the acquisition of shares in a target – one of the largest paint and coatings producers operating in multiple jurisdictions – including on the competition aspects.
- Advising Wagner AG as a shareholder in a local automotive parts producing company on various competition matters regarding its contractual relationships with partners.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr combines the expertise of its Serbian and Bosnian offices to offer advice to regional and international clients seeking entry into the Bosnian market, as well as established local actors on merger control, antitrust matters and representation before competition authorities. Based in the Belgrade office, Srdjana Petronijević leads the practice, while Minela Šehović heads the Bosnian team on the ground. Šehović advises clients on all aspects of antitrust law, specialising in merger clearances and corporate advice.
Other key lawyers:
Apatinska Brewery (Molson Coors)
UniCredit Bank d.d. Mostar
Unicredit bank a.d. Banja Luka
Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske
Siemens AG Group
- Advising Thales Group in approx. €35m worth proceedings challenging public procurements passport booklets, drivers’ licenses and ID cards.
- Advising Elektroprivreda Srbije (EPS) in relation to the construction of three hydro plants on the river Drina: HE Foča, HE Buk Bijela and HE Paunci (Upper Drina Project).
- Advising NIKE and Converse regarding distribution policy in the region (exclusive distribution agreement and monobrand concept stores) on a regular basis.
Law Office Miljkovic & Partners‘ competition and antitrust team is noted for its expertise in advising on national and EU competition law matters, including the competition law aspects of M&A, abuse of dominant position cases, and representing clients before the Bosnian competition authorities. Sead Miljković heads the team and regularly advises on matters concerning the imposition of fines, distribution agreements and competition concerns in the energy and telecoms industries.
ASA Bank d.d.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit