Karanovic & Partners in cooperation with local lawyers has a first-rate competition practice, as is evidenced by its involvement in complex mergers involving phase II investigations and challenging negotiations over remedies. Nihad Sijerčić, who leads the team, has a focus on complex merger filings before competition authorities, as well as abuse of dominance cases. Amina Đugum represents domestic and foreign clients in court proceedings, and is also noted for her compliance advice.
Competition in Bosnia & Herzegovina
Hyundai, Daimler, Ford, BMW, Porsche
Volkswagen / Ford
United Group / Sport Klub
Association of cable operators (UDMU)
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
- Representing United Group in a number of antitrust, merger control and regulatory proceedings before the competition authorities and telecom regulators in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Assisted MK Group, the leading regional conglomerate active in agriculture in the acquisition of Victoria Group.
- Assisted Hyundai, BMW, Daimler, Ford, and Porsche in the merger filings in Serbia and in cooperation with local lawyers in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia.
Maric & Co Law Firm's 'professional and dedicated' team handles a steady stream of competition mandates pertaining to merger control matters. In addition, the group (which is jointly led by Džana Smailagić-Hromić and Ezmana Turković) represents clients in damages actions before domestic and international courts. The firm is a particularly popular choice among German-speaking clients, as well as leading household-name brands.
Dzana Smailagic-Hromic; Ezmana Turkovic
‘Very professional approach. A team dedicated to solving the problem with a lot of effort to invest in fully understanding the problem.’
‘We worked directly with Mr. Branko Maric and Mrs. Ezmana Turkovic. Like the rest of the team, our direct contacts showed a full understanding of specific problems in telecommunications and put a lot of effort into a full understanding of the issue, which we consider a prerequisite for quality representation.
‘Provides timely and clear advice, which is highly challenging when operating in a country where legislation is created on three levels: country, entity and cantonal levels (with lack of proper harmonization) and where the same regulation can be applied differently by two different courts. In such an environment, only lawyers who are well proficient in local regulations and court practices, and who are highly specialized in their practice area, which this team truly is, may actually support their clients. ’
‘I work with partner, Ezmana Turkovic for over 10 years. She is highly dedicated, exceptional expertize and most pleasant person to work with. In the past ten years, Ezmana advised us on numerous cases and it is fascinating how she memorise each case, names of the participants and some specific issues that we dealt with during the process. She delivers work on time, no matter how short the timeline is, or how complex the scope of work is. For a company with German-speaking stakeholders, the fact that Ezmana has perfect written and spoken German language was an additional bonus. She constantly strives for the highest quality of work while maintaining the business-oriented mindset to suit our company’
Agrokor (Aisle Dutch TopCo B.V. and Agrolaguna)
M.T. Abraham Group
Lufthansa Technik AG
- Acted for Agrokor (Aisle Dutch TopCo B.V. and Agrolaguna) on an acquisition of its local subsidiaries by its creditors before the local antitrust authority.
- Represented Akt.online Ltd before the local antitrust authority and the court of B&H due to damage compensation and abuse of dominant position against local telecommunications giant that has a monopoly on the market.
- Assisted LG Electronics Inc. and Lufthansa Technik AG with obtaining merger clearance of their joint venture in the aviation and electronics sectors.
At CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz D.O.O. in cooperation with local lawyers, the competition practice is led by Nedžida Salihović-Whalen and is well regarded for its handling of the merger control aspects of high-profile corporate transactions in Bosnia and Herzegovina and throughout the CEE region. The team is able to leverage its wider international network, including the offices in Brussels and Belgrade, to undertake cross-border work for clients. Associates Andrea Zubović-Devedžić and Zlatan Balta are key names in the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Andrea Zubović-Devedžić; Zlatan Balta
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.
MID EUROPA Partners
Remho Beteiligungs GmbH
Fresenius Medical Care
- Acted for Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (“KKR”) and Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA”) on competition law aspects in Bosnia and Herzegovina of the acquisition by KKR and WBA of joint control over the PharMerica Corporation.
- Acted for Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P. (“KKR”) on the acquisition by funds advised by KKR of the SBB/Telemach Group.
- Advised Michelin on various aspects of its relationship with distributors and purchasers in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr's team combines 'excellent industry knowledge' with extensive experience of merger control, behavioural investigations and compliance matters. Belgrade-based practitioner Srdjana Petronijević leads the team with support from Matija Vojnović. In Sarajevo, Minela Šehović is highlighted for her 'high-quality service'.
Other key lawyers:
Matija Vojnović; Minela Šehović
‘We cooperate with Schoenherr regarding different competition matters in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Schoenherr has one of the biggest competition teams in the region. This team is unique in that its competition lawyers do not only possess in-depth expertise and highly specialized knowledge of competition law, but also broad and deep practice experience in other legal areas. Based on our experience with the firm, Schoenherr’s team understands the needs of our business and provides high-quality service. They showed excellent industry knowledge and a great capability to come up with pragmatic solutions. Their client service is on the highest level in the market. All the lawyers have been very devoted to each of our cases.’
‘Srdjana Petronijevic is one of the best and widely recognized competition lawyers in the region. She is a technically excellent lawyer who thinks ahead, provides practical and effective advice, and makes our business possible. She has tremendous experience in all aspects of competition law, from antitrust to merger control, and always provides an extra value to everything she works on. Also, she delivers under short deadlines, which I really appreciate.
‘Minela Sehovic is an intelligent, creative lawyer who knows the particularities of competition law. She can see the situation from the other perspective, pays attention to details, and always asks the right questions. She is very proactive, responsive, dependable, and gets the job done in a prompt and professional way.’
‘The advantages of Schoenherr are: they have regional competition team; all specializations within the team (antitrust, merger control, compliance, distribution, state aid); they have great work ethics (confidentiality, work around the clock, availability) and very important for us, they understand pharma sector and they can follow us throughout the region. It is challenging to apply competition law rules in such a strict regulatory framework’
‘Whenever there is a competition related questions, we contact always Srdjana Petronijevic. She is available, proactive, understands what we need, and provides swift, business-oriented, advise. It is easy and very useful to work with her. She is our trusted partner for competition law related matters. Depending on the question and the country, she forms the team for us. When it comes to antitrust matter, Srdjana is supported by Zoran Soljaga (a profound knowledge and expertise in antitrust law; used to work with the competition authority), when it comes to merger control, she is supported by Danijel Stevanovic (he has expertise in merger control in the entire region). ’
‘They are unique because they are one of the few law firms in the country with an international network. They also have exceptional expertise when it comes to certain practices, including competition.’
‘Srdjana is exceptional competition lawyer with vast experience in the entire region. She is very pragmatic and solution-oriented. Minela is an excellent lawyer who is solution oriented. She always goes an extra mile and is truly devoted and committed to what she does.’
‘We expected legal advice to be delivered in the most efficient yet detailed way and Schoenherr completely met our expectations. The process of delivering work was managed in a very professional way with full focus and commitment to our case. They are great to work with and we really felt that we were in good hands. I am sure that we can rely on them in every situation.’
UniCredit Bank d.d. Mostar, Unicredit bank a.d. Banja Luka
Hidroelektrana Dabar d.o.o. Trebinje
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Advising Elektroprivreda Srbije on the construction of three hydro plants on the river Drina.
- Advised RIDG Holding s.r.o. on obtaining merger clearance from the competition authority of Bosnia and Herzegovina for acquisition of sole control over VIPAP Videm Krško d.d., Slovenia.
- Advised PHOENIX Pharma in the merger control proceedings before the competition authority of Bosnia and Herzegovina in relation to acquisition of Expera Pharmacy.
At Wolf Theiss - in cooperation with local lawyers, the team is skilled in handling complex merger clearance matters for a wide range of international clients. The group is led by Naida Čustović and is experienced in competition-related transactions and corporate investigations for clients spanning across the CEE and SEE region. Cross-border work is facilitated by Vienna-based Nikolaus Paul. Counsel Lana Sarajlić, who is highly active in compliance-related matters, counts a number of healthcare companies as clients.
Other key lawyers:
Nikolaus Paul; Lana Sarajlić
‘Consistent quality -well structured and clear-cut documents’
APS Recovery Management s.r.o.
AFINUM Management GmbH
Eli Lilly B-H d.o.o.
Lexmark BH d.o.o.
Addiko banka d.d. Sarajevo
Addiko banka a.d. Banja Luka
Raiffeisen Landesbank, Austria
Raiffeisen Bank International
Keune Adrija BiH
Dinners club. BiH
Erste Club Card
Sparkasse Bank BH d.d.
B-One Solutions d.o.o.
Unicredit bank Mostar d.d.
Nishimura & Asahi
Unis Fagas d.o.o.
Law Office Miljkovic & Partners handles both contentious and non-contentious competition matters in relation to national and EU law. Practice head Sead Miljković has over a decade of experience undertaking merger control work and he is also highly active in abuse of dominance cases. Also recommended are Amar Bajramović and senior associate Maja Šimunac.
Other key lawyers:
Amar Bajramović; Maja Šimunac
ASA Bank d.d.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
- Advising Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit on the competition aspects of project implemented by the client.
- Acting for a Bosnia and Herzegovina National Insurers’ Bureau, i.e. Green Card Bureau(Biro Zelene Karte) in procedure initiated before the BiH Competition Authority by the local insurance company Premium osiguranje a.d. for alleged abuse of a dominant position by the client.
- Advising ASA Finance in relation to competition aspects of the takeover of a majority share of the Vakufska Banka.