Established in February 2022, Aurion is sought out by an expansive roster of social funds, NGOs, impact investors, and industry associations for its ‘excellent knowledge and expertise‘ in all manner of contentious and non-contentious matters. The practice is jointly chaired by the ‘excellent‘ Sarah Verschaeve, a highly experienced practitioner in the not-for-profit space, and Yvette Verleisdonk, a ‘very dedicated‘ partner praised by clients for her expertise in impact investing. Other key names to note include public law specialist Evelenye Maes, whose recent engagements include high-profile proceedings taken before the various domestic and European courts.
Not-for-profit in Belgium
Sarah Verschaeve; Yvette Verleisdonk
Other key lawyers:
‘Always provide excellent service and professionalism. They are respectful, listen to our needs, and always respond in a timely manner.’
‘The team is very dedicated and has excellent knowledge and expertise. They are very easy to approach and deliver tailor-made advice.’
‘Yvette Verleisdonk is a very dedicated lawyer, who delivers excellent legal knowledge in an understandable way. She always keeps the big picture in mind and looks for the best solution for our organisation.’
Aartsbisdom Mechelen-Brussel (Archdiocese Mechelen-Brussels)
Antwerp World Diamond Centre private foundation
Association of the European Self-Care Industry (AESGP)
Begeleidingsdienst Limburgs Mijngebied (BLM)
Belgian Israel Consistory
Cancer Drug Development Forum (CDDF)
Collective action (+300 persons) against the Flemish Agency For Persons with a Disability
Divergent – Universiteit Gent (UGent)
EGOV Select (non publishable matter 5)
Eu – Christian Organisations In Relief And Development (EU-CORD)
European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering and Science (EAMBES)
European Federation of National Organisations Working with the Homeless (FEANTSA)
European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP)
European Public Health Alliance (EPHA)
Give A Day
Hubbie (previously De Lork and Begeleid Wonen Brussel)
IKIC Impact Ventures
Impact Licensing Initiative (ILI)
International Biocontrol Manufacturers Association (IBMA) Global
International Disability And Development Consortium (IDDC)
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Catholic University of Leuven – KUL)
LIV aan het werk
Near East Foundation (NEF)
Shaping Impact Group
SI³ Equal Opportunities Fund
The International Federation of Reproduction Rights Organisations (IFRRO)
Voorzorgsfonds van het Personeel der Tiense Suikerraffinaderijfabriek van Tienen
Wit-Gele Kruis Vlaams-Brabant
- Acted as legal counsel in connection with the structuring and setup of the third impact first fund in the Benelux: SI³ Equal Opportunities Fund.
- Assisted pharma.be with the establishment of PharmaScan BeLux.
- Assisted KU Leuven with the process of taking disciplinary actions against 7 students, as they were involved in a baptism ritual that caused the death of a KU Leuven student.
Fielding ‘an unmatched quality of legal expertise, talent and responsiveness’ in the not-for-profit and social enterprise sectors, Impact lawyers is highly regarded for the depth of its expertise – particularly in association law matters – advising on the full spectrum of regulatory and organisational concerns. Practice co-chair Marleen Denef, regarded by clients as ‘the absolute number one‘, is an experienced practitioner in the space, especially noted for her the breadth of her NFP practice – from governance and articles of association to litigious proceedings. Fellow co-chair Coralie Mattelaer is praised for her capabilities in contract issues and disputes work within the space, while co-founder Benoit Spitaels is a key port of call for transactional issues. The multilingual (French, Dutch, English and German) Nicole Crama is recommended for her employment law acumen.
Marleen Denef; Coralie Mattelaer; Benoit Spitaels
Other key lawyers:
‘The team of impact is multidisciplinary and hands-on. The quality of their legal expertise, talent and responsiveness is unmatched by any other firm in not-for-profit matters.’
‘Marleen Denef and Coralie Mattelaer go above and beyond to understand the needs of the client and look for tailor-made and efficient solutions.’
‘They are able to adapt easily to complex difficult matters and familiarise themselves with new legislation and legal technicalities. They listen and have the ability to understand the mission of our organisation, what we do and what we need.’’
Working with both NFPs and corporate members of NFPs, ALTIUS is regularly engaged by a number of industry associations and sporting bodies for its capabilities in the full gamut of contentious and non-contentious work – from governance reviews to proceedings before the Court of Arbitration. Practice head Jérôme Vermeylen is a key figure for clients seeking assistance with strategically significant matters, including new incorporations and articles of association. The multilingual (English, Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, and German) Carmen Verdonck is noted for her competition expertise, and Olivier Vrins specialises in trademarks, anti-counterfeiting and geographical indication issues.
Jérôme Vermeylen; Carmen Verdonck; Olivier Vrins
‘Responsive team with sound advice for non-profits.’
‘Very approachable people, friendly in communication, really partner with our organisation.’
‘It’s a great team. They have competence in a diversity of fields. Let it be sales agreements, sales conditions, intellectual property, or statutes, you’ll always get a sound answer quickly.’
‘They kept remarkably close contact, communicated timely and were very efficient. All of this at an acceptable fee. Outstanding!’
Association of European Airlines
Association of European Coeliac Societies (AOECS)
Belgian Electrotechnical Committee (BEC)
Belgian Taekwondo Federation (BTF)
Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC)
CIVC (Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne)
CropLife (formerly ECPA)
Fédération Belge de Karate ASBL (FBK)
Fédération Francophone Belge de Kin-Ball (FFBKB)
Fédération Française de Roller et Skateboard (FFRS)
Government and Attorney General of Pakistan
International Wushu Federation (IWUF)
K. Racing Club Genk VZW
Polish Electricity Association (PKEE)
The Nickel Institute
University of Kent
Volley Belgium VZW
Yakult Research Centre for Microbiology
- Advised private equity investor The Common Group in relation to its investment into, and takeover of, Belgian football club Patro Eisden Maasmechelen, a not-for-profit association.
- Assisting IWUF in relation to a dispute against the liquidator of the Belgium (former) European Wushu Federation (EWUF).
- Assisting the founders of EUMICON AISBL with the drafting of the articles of association and the incorporation of their new association.
Bird & Bird
A strong line-up of industry associations and scientific institutions turn to Bird & Bird for the breadth of its capabilities in regulatory, compliance, and other technical advisory issues – often with a distinct cross-border aspect. Jointly steered by Paul Hermant and Brent Springael, the team frequently assists clients with articles of association filings, as well as corporate structuring and IP issues. Other key names to note include industry association specialist Anne Federle and counsel Cedric Berckmans, recommended for his expertise in organisational and structural concerns facing NFPs.
Paul Hermant; Brent Springael
Other key lawyers:
Anne Federle; Cedric Berckmans
European Thermal Paper Association (ETPA)
ACE (Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment)
GRACE (Global Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment)
International Platform of Insects for Food and Feed (IPIFF)
- Advising bio.be on the EU regulatory framework regarding cells and tissues as well as the implementation in several EU Member States of the EU Directive on the use of human cells and tissues as well as the ATMP regulation.
- Providing guidance to ACE (Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment) and GRACE (Global Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment) to ensure compliance with Belgian and EU competition law during their meetings.
- Providing support to the International Platform of Insects for Food and Feed (IPIFF), the EU sector organisation for the insect production sector.
Noted for the depth of its healthcare sector expertise, Eubelius‘ cross-practice team is a key port of call for various hospitals, healthcare organisations, and care homes, operating both domestically and internationally. The group is also regularly engaged by various social housing organisations, industry associations, and educational institutes. Antwerp-based Frank Hellemans specialises in corporate and financial matters; Barteld Schutyser is noted for his expertise in public law – including public law litigation; Veronique Pertry is a key port of call for public sector employment law matters; while managing partner Matthias Wauters is especially well-versed in association law, ranging from governance structuring to Code of Companies implementation.
Matthias Wauters; Frank Hellemans; Barteld Schutyser; Véronique Pertry
SHM Vlaamse Ardennen
SHM De Nieuwe Haard
Together for Sustainability
International Food Waste Coalition
Consortium Vlaams IT platform BelRAI
- Advised Site Sint-Anna VZW in view of developing a real estate project consisting of both residential dwellings and healthcare services.
- Advised Enabel in various individual and collective employment matters, such as HR policies, social dialogue, termination of employment contracts (including negotiations after a dismissal), telework, wellbeing at work, etc. relating to personnel in the headquarters as well as personnel abroad.
- Assisted SHM Vlaamse Ardennen and SHM De Nieuwe Haard in connection with their merger into one large social housing company active in East Flanders.
In addition to a number of private foundations and third sector associations, EY Law notably works with a host of domestic and pan-European industry associations on a host of governance issues, particularly in the health, education, agriculture, and banking sectors. The practice is chaired by the ‘excellent‘ Antoine Druetz, an experienced non-profit lawyer especially noted for his capabilities in company and associations Code. Counsel Alix Degrez in an ‘impressive‘ adviser who works with a range of associations and foundations on the full gamut of incorporation and governance matters. Fellow counsel Valérie Havaux is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Alix Degrez; Valérie Havaux
‘Both Antoine Druetz and Alix Degrez are impressive.’
‘Expert team dealing with international associations whether in the context of Belgian company law, social legislation or areas such as banking regulations.’
‘Antoine Druetz is an excellent lawyer; expresses himself clearly in layman’s terms and obtains results. His colleague Alix Degrez shows the same qualities.’
‘Antoine Druetz not only has exceptional knowledge but is able to translate his knowledge into practical advice. We love working with Antoine, he is always there and able to understand what is our need and offers solutions.’
‘For many years, I’ve had the pleasure of working with Antoine and his team. Over the years, they have successfully handled several files for us. They are extremely knowledgeable about non-profits, even more so a distinct expertise in the field. A truly flexible and client-centric approach.’
‘The team are experts in the not-for-profit sector. Proactive and helpful.’
‘A well-resourced team of experts, who have been supporting us legally as the organisation grew. Last year, we revisited our Articles of Association, and their expertise and foresight has been fantastic, allowing us to develop a governing document for the foreseeable future. They are really responsive, and move projects along very quickly.’
‘Antoine Druetz’s detailed knowledge of not-for-profits’ governance, challenges, and anticipation of potential issues really is something I have not seen before anywhere else.’
The European Plastics Pipes and Fittings Association (TEPPFA)
Forest-Based Sector Technology Platform (FTP)
European Young Doctors Association (EJD)
The World Federation of Intensive and Critical Care (WFICC)
International Association of Public Transport (UITP)
Europe Jacques Delors
European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders (EAHAD)
Science Europe (SE)
European Society of Anaesthesiology (ESAIC)
The European Brain Council
European Association of Research and Technology Organisations AISBL (EARTO)
European Federation of Psychologists Associations (EFPA)
- Advised Philea AISBL on its merger with Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe AISBL for the creation of a major association with a governance representing the whole spectrum of philanthropic organisations in Europe.
- Assisted PostEurop AISBL with conflict management (a.o. suspension/revocation of members and directors) in a sensitive and historic geopolitical context.
- Advised European Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care (ESAIC) AISBL regarding a very complex model of governance and an overhaul of its articles of association.
intui‘s cross-practice team is noted for its specialist expertise in the non-profit sector, advising a range of sports federations, elderly care organisations and public institutions on both commercial and contentious matters. The practice is jointly chaired by the ‘pragmatic‘ Anneleen Steeno, CEPANI arbitrator Robbie Tas, and Caroline Hotterbeekx, an experienced disputes lawyer whose recent engagements include articles of incorporation reviews and care sector proceedings before the Belgian courts.
Anneleen Steeno; Robbie Tas; Caroline Hotterbeekx
‘They combine strong legal skills with a very pragmatic view on things; qualities which are both necessary in non-profit environments.’
‘Anneleen Steeno takes a very pragmatic view on complex situations. Always two steps ahead of the counterparty.’
KBVB (Royal Belgian Football Association)
- Advising Vulpia Group with their acquisition of elderly care and assisted living operations and various corporate governance matters.
- Advising the Easypay Group with their acquisitions and group restructurings.
- Advising Premed on various aspects of its operations.
KADRANT LAW‘s Brussels-based practice is engaged by a range of European industry associations, foundations, and medical alliances, who turn to the team for the breadth of its commercial and regulatory capabilities. The practice is chaired by the ‘excellent‘ Giulia Mauri, an experienced adviser in the not-for-profit space who has niche expertise in aviation and transport matters. Frédérique Jos is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thanks to the team, what makes the practice unique is that you feel at ease right away, you feel confident because of the level of expertise, the team is not looking down at you, you are treated with respect and sympathy, you are clearly with a partner embarking with you in your case.’
‘Giulia Mauri is an excellent team leader, and she embodies all the values that we have attributed to her team.’
Loyens & Loeff
Loyens & Loeff‘s cross-disciplinary not-for-profit team works with an array of associations and foundations operating across a range of sectors, including healthcare, infrastructure, aerospace, and chemicals. Helmed by market veteran Grégoire Jakhian, the group regularly advises on a host of governance compliance, employment, and other day-to-day advisory matters, as well as in proceedings before the domestic courts. Other names to note include highly experienced employment lawyer Filip Saelens, and senior associate Mélanie Schollaert, a specialist in corporate and contract law work.
Other key lawyers:
Filip Saelens; Mélanie Schollaert
Média-Participations (Dargaud – Lombard SA)
Africa Infrastructure Fellowship Program FUP / Meridiam SAS
Women in International Security (WIIS) – Brussels ASBL
European Institute of Peace / Institut européen de la Paix FUP
Michael & Susan Dell Foundation
- Representing a subsidiary of Dargaud-Lombard SA in civil and criminal proceedings concerning a fraud (of which the client is one of the victims).
- Assisting the public utility foundation Africa Infrastructure Fellowship Program (AIFP) from a contract and association law perspective.
- Assisted Women in International Security (WIIS) -Brussels ASBL.
Monard Law is a key port of call for numerous hospitals, universities, trade associations, and social non-profits operating in the Belgian market. The team is led by Bert Theeuwes, a specialist in employment and international law who is supported by procurement expert Wouter Moonen – both of whom are praised for their ‘expertise, availability, and practical, actionable advice.’ Antwerp-based senior associate Thomas Christiaens is also recommended for his public procurement practice.
Bert Theeuwes; Wouter Moonen
Other key lawyers:
‘Great expertise and availability, timely responses, and practical, actionable advice.’
‘Wouter Moonen and Thomas Christiaens personify the above-mentioned assets: expertise, availability, and practicality of solutions offered.’
Brussels University Hospital
University College Leuven-Limburg
Terlaemen Racing Track
AZ Jan Palfijn
AZ Vesalius Tongeren
- Advising Path on their internal structure and their dealings as a non-profit association with the authorities.
- Advising the main Brussels hospital and a higher education facility in setting up a joint venture to integrate their partnership.
- Advising and assisting Hasselt University in procedures covering all recent public procurement matters of the University.
Operating as a cross-practice subset of the corporate department, Osborne Clarke‘s Brussels-based practice works with a host of companies from the tech, research, healthcare, and education sectors on governance reviews and regulatory analyses, among other issues. The practice is chaired by ‘stellar‘ counsel Ruth Wirtz, a multilingual specialist in cross-border corporate deals and contractual disputes within the sector.
‘The team is always willing to help, and they provide very detailed answers to our questions. The fact that they have professionals with expertise in several areas to support companies and associations like ours is very helpful.’
‘Ruth Wirtz is incredibly supportive, timely, and detailed.’
‘Ruth Wirtz is stellar to work with.’
‘They are very responsive and knowledgeable, not only in relation to legislation, but also the practical implications.’
‘Client-oriented and flexible.’
‘Ruth Wirtz stands out for her dedication.’
European Chemical Industry Council
Fédération Européenne des Industries des Colles, Adhésifs et Mastics (Association of the European Adhesive and Sealant Industry)
International Council of Chemical Associations
International Software Testing Qualification Boards
Association of European Cancer Leagues
Teach for Belgium
Vereinigung der europäischen ergonomischen Gesellschaften e.V
- Advising the International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA) on voting rights, board membership and full membership issues and, as part of a larger project, assisting ICCA with a complete legal audit and revision of their statutes, operating guidelines and other internal rules, including rethinking and reshaping some essential governance elements, such as listing for example the pros and cons of the potential change from a rotating secretariat to a permanent secretariat.
- Assisting Eclipse Foundation in various matters in order to further develop the activities of the not-so-long ago founded Eclipse Foundation AISBL in Belgium, including: organisation of board and general assembly meetings, analysing /updating agreements to be concluded by the association, updating the internal rules, corporate housekeeping.
- Assisting the Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL) on a complete revision and modernisation of their statutes and by-laws which were not amended since 2004 in order to align these with their present governance structure and practices as well as with the new Belgian Code on Companies and Associations.
Praised by clients for its ‘excellent understanding and strong experience in associations law‘, Pierstone draws on the firm’s broader expertise in IP, IT, and data protection law, advising a diverse roster of NFPs and industry associations on contractual and IP licensing matters and regulatory analyses, as well as a range of employment, tax, and sanctions-related issues. Practice head Patrice Vanderbeeken is a key contact for associations seeking assistance with standardisation policies and IT projects, while senior partner Alain Strowel specialises in trade associations operating in the digital sector. Associate Hélène van Rijckevorsel is noted for her data protection capabilities. Maarten Vanderhaeghe and Werner Vanderhaeghe left the firm in late 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Alain Strowel; Hélène van Rijckevorsel
‘It takes more than bureaucratic precision to follow not-for-profit legislation. Excellent competence and reliability.’
‘To-the-point advice which is understandable but above all pragmatic and practical in nature.’
‘Excellent understanding and strong experience in associations law.’
Indoor Environmental Quality Global Alliance AISBL
Meters & More international association
Prime Alliance international association
European Energy information Sharing and Analysis Centre Association
Fonds Joseph Maisin pour la recherche contre le Cancer
Quality Information Services for Personalised Expert Recommendations (Quisper)
Polyolefin Circular Economy Platform (PCEP) international association
Groupement d’Intiative Italienne
Federation of European Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Associations (REHVA)
European Food Information resource international association (EuroFIR)
Gas Infrastructure Europe International association
European Utilities for Telecommunications AISBL
Climate Positive Europe Alliance
Europe India Business Council
The Joint Institute for Innovation Policy
The Good Lobby
The Rising World Foundation (India)
Generation Climate Europe
Permanent Representation of Cyprus to the EU