Allen & Overy LLP's multidisciplinary TMT sector group contains 'top experts' advising a range of corporate and commercial clients. Practice co-heads Filip Van Elsen and Peter Van Dyck have particular expertise in digital transformation projects and emerging technologies, with recent instructions on data protection, cybersecurity, cloud computing and compliance work. Other names of note include 'master of law' Geert Glas, who handles IP and e-commerce-related litigation, as well as competition and antitrust partner Jürgen Schindler.
Industry focus: IT and telecoms in Belgium
Allen & Overy LLP
Filip Van Elsen; Peter Van Dyck
Other key lawyers:
Geert Glas; Jürgen Schindler
‘Each of the Allen & Overy attorneys are top experts in their subject areas.’
‘Geert Glas is an outstanding expert with vast experience and know-how, a skilled successful litigator and a great master of law. Also, he encourages an excellent performance from his team-mates and legal staff.’
Bird & Bird's TMT department focuses on IT licensing, service agreements and outsourcing contracts, along with IP protection and liability and procurement-related disputes. Data protection expert Benoit Van Asbroeck and EU and competition specialist Hein Hobbelen balance transactional and litigation matters, with the assistance of technology and communications-oriented associates Isis De Moortel and Simon Mortier. Current clients include the European Commission and trade association Digital Europe.
Benoit Van Asbroeck; Hein Hobbelen
Other key lawyers:
Isis De Moortel; Simon Mortier
Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners
UAB Bitė Lietuva
- Involved in a number of European Commission-funded research projects under the Horizon 2020 programme.
The 'humble, hardworking and top performers' at DLA Piper have 'unmatched skills and experience in the market', particularly regarding IT public procurement and outsourcing deals, data protection assistance and telecoms projects. Clients appreciate practice head Kristof De Vulder's 'excellent ability to translate very complex IT matters into simple, comprehensive and coherent language' on both contentious and non-contentious instructions, the most recent of which involves negotiating licence agreements for multinational biopharmaceutical company UCB. Associate Raf Schoefs 'really knows his contracts', while IP rights counsel Nicolas Becker is another name to note.
Kristof De Vulder
Other key lawyers:
Nicolas Becker; Raf Schoefs
‘Unmatched skills and experience in the market.’
‘Humble, hardworking and top performers.’
‘Broad experience in IT practice and good co-operation between the different experts. There is always a “team effort” vibe going on.’
‘Kristof De Vulder has the excellent ability to translate very complex IT matters into simple, comprehensive and coherent language for people who don’t necessarily work in IT or legal. He uses the language of his audience. Raf Schoefs really knows his contracts (almost by heart, even if it’s 300 pages!).’
Sopra Steria Benelux
- Representing Accenture in large-scale IT litigation involving multiple high-profile stakeholders.
- Assisted Cegeka, one of the largest IT service providers in Belgium, with its application for a temporary licence (usage rights in the 3.7 Ghz frequency band) for the 5G roll-out in Belgium, which it successfully obtained.
- Advising Q8 in all matters relating to its set-up and launch as an electric mobility service provider and charge point operator.
Stibbe's 'strongly driven' multidisciplinary technology, media and communications team provides 'valuable practical guidance based on deep legal knowledge', advising on strategic IT and telecoms projects, ranging from big data and cloud computing to AI schemes and data retention legislation. Led by Erik Valgaeren, who clients note is 'an excellent lawyer and expert in the field of IT contracts and projects', practice also has expertise in internet and electronic communications law, handling ongoing matters for Microsoft, Verizon and the Flemish government.
‘Erik Valgaeren and his team are highly qualified to advise companies in the field of IT projects and contracting. They have excellent knowledge of the subject matter and of challenges faced by companies when entering into IT contracts.’
‘Erik Valgaeren is an excellent lawyer and expert in the field of IT contracts and projects. He is a very valuable specialised support for our company.’
‘Very flexible. Good knowledge. Strongly driven.’
‘They provide valuable practical guidance based on deep legal knowledge and practical implementation.’
Bank Degroof Petercam
OVB (Orde van Vlaamse Balies)
Port of Antwerp
- Assisting Microsoft with regulatory issues and in litigation against the Belgian Institute for Postal Services and Telecommunications (BIPT).
- Assisting Proximus, the Belgian incumbent telecoms provider, on a long-term outsourcing project for the full scope of its data centre services.
- Advising Sibelco on a contract with Orange for the rollout of worldwide enterprise voice and data communication services.
ALTIUS has significant experience in IT industry transactions and M&A projects, as well as e-commerce and tech-related litigation. Gerrit Vandendriessche co-heads the practice, which is known for its 'comprehensive advice', alongside corporate expert Jérôme Vermeylen, and both regularly handle matters for market-leading companies, start-ups and spin-offs; recent clients include the IRIS Group, Sinch and Eurosmart. Other areas of focus range from electronic communications and data protection regulation to cloud computing and general commercial law.
Gerrit Vandendriessche; Jérôme Vermeylen
‘We have been very satisfied by the ability of the team we have worked with. They provided us with very good and comprehensive advice on the way the different aspects of the business should, to protect us as required, be covered in a sales purchase agreement.’
‘Despite multiple discussions with several people in parallel, each Altius team member was up-to-date in knowing the progress made on the different workstreams. This has been facilitating the coordination of all actions.’
- Assisted Canon/IRIS Group with the sale of its hybrid technology solutions business unit, including companies and businesses in Belgium, Luxembourg and Italy, to private equity group Livia.
- Advised Stockholm-listed Sinch Group in relation to its acquisition of Belgian artificial intelligence company Chatlayer in order to complete its offer as a CPaaS provider.
- Assisted the shareholders of NephroFlow in relation to the sale of their shares in the company to Nipro Europe Group of Companies.
At CMS, the 'particularly dedicated' IT and telecoms team 'does not leave stones unturned' when covering a wide range of contentious and non-contentious cases. With recent experience of advising new digital and collaborative economy businesses, the practice is also active in strategic technology matters in the automotive sector. Competition and telecoms expert Dirk Van Liedekerke, who counts Facebook and Proximus among his clients, leads the team alongside data privacy and commercial technology expert Tom De Cordier.
Dirk Van Liedekerke; Tom De Cordier
‘The CMS team ensures that all relevant aspects of our matters are covered and dealt with in the best manner possible. Generally, we are faced with complex cases that involve not only questions of international jurisdiction but also a variety of other multidisciplinary issues. The composition of the team proposed by CMS for handling specific cases is always set-up in such a manner that it is capable of combining all the required skills.’
‘The CMS team with which I work (principally Dirk Van Liedekerke) is particularly dedicated and does not leave stones unturned. It is very creative in developing new layers of arguments each time when this is needed and they are extremely easy to work with.’
CDC – Arkhineo
- Representing Proximus in different ongoing investigations regarding the RAN-sharing mobile network agreement that it has concluded with Orange Belgium.
- Representing Airbnb in preliminary ruling proceedings at the European Court of Justice and obtaining a ruling confirming that Airbnb’s platform services are to be considered as information society services.
Clients appreciate Fieldfisher's 'level of knowledge and professionalism' and ability to offer 'pragmatic, documented, to-the-point and crystal-clear' advice on TMT, outsourcing and data privacy mandates. Practice co-head Tim Van Canneyt is 'an outstanding lawyer, with excellent knowledge of new technologies', who is further appreciated for his 'organisation style and ability to argue' in IT contracts-related litigation. IP specialist Stijn Debaene also leads the group alongside Van Canneyt, with Olivier Proust advising on GDPR and compliance.
Tim Van Canneyt; Stijn Debaene
Other key lawyers:
‘I am extremely satisfied by the level of knowledge and professionalism, the ability to understand the project and business, and the anticipation of issues acting as protection for the project. The ability to rely on the advice provided is a real plus in our project success!’
‘I am working with Tim Van Canneyt and we connect almost on a daily basis. Tim understood the challenges we were facing in no time and has the ability to understand the IT part in order to provide the best advice possible, which makes him stand out. Thanks to his organisation style and ability to argue, he gives us good balance in discussions.’
‘Cleverness and deep understanding of situations, intelligent with structured and constructive thinking. Able to provide deep analysis with an analytic mind. They are truly committed to the client’s interest, always available and very well organised.’
‘The team understands its clients’ activities and needs, and the technical aspects of technologies. Its advice is pragmatic, documented, to-the-point and crystal clear.’
‘Tim Van Canneyt is an outstanding lawyer, with excellent knowledge of new technologies (as well as the legal and technical aspects). He is pragmatic, available and respects deadlines.’
‘The team works in tandem which allows for smooth collaboration in terms of team availability but also provides different points of view regarding the client situation. The technical knowledge of the firm is impressive, which allows us to go directly into matters and work efficiently.’
‘I mainly work with Tim Van Canneyt who is extremely up-to-date regarding the latest regulations in our industry. He also rapidly understands the big picture of business situations and can deliver prompt and highly valuable legal advice that fits the legislation but, most of all, our business needs.’
- Advising Infrabel on e-signature, e-archiving, e-registered mail, correspondence secrecy and GDPR in relation to a Covid-19 project to implement an IT solution to process all incoming and outgoing mail electronically.
- Representing Telenet in two design and patent infringement proceedings initiated by Austrian remote control manufacturer Ruwido, and its supplier Universal Electronics, in trade mark litigation regarding its use of the FLOW TECH trade mark, and in a copyright dispute.
- Providing strategic data protection and e-privacy advice to BICS regarding the use of traffic data, as well as assessing the sharing of personal data and electronic communication data in compliance with GDPR and e-privacy rules.
time.lex's position as a niche IT, IP and media law firm results in 'very good knowledge' of the sector, and particular strength in regulatory and compliance instructions – both contentious and non-contentious – including from the national government and the Belgian Data Protection Authority. Founding partner Jos Dumortier leads the team along with international legislative adviser Hans Graux, contracts negotiators Geert Somers and Edwin Jacobs, and GDPR experts Frederic Debusseré and Ruben Roex.
Jos Dumortier; Hans Graux; Geert Somers; Edwin Jacobs; Frederic Debusseré; Ruben Roex
‘Very good knowledge.’
‘Their advice was practical, with references to market practice, and their response time was quick.’
‘Edwin Jacobs is experienced and a pleasant person to work with. I recommend him for outsourcing work in Belgium.’
Belgian Data Protection Authority
European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA)
International Association of Internet Hotlines (INHOPE)
Government of the Brussels Region
- Advising Samsung on the regulatory aspects of a blockchain project.
- Advising the European Commission on its future policy and legislation on liability for artificial intelligence-driven products and services.
- Representing the Belgian Data Protection Authority before the EU Court of Justice in its lawsuit against Facebook regarding the scope of the GDPR’s one-stop-shop mechanism.
At ASTREA BV CVBA, the IT and media team demonstrates 'commitment and reliability' when handling regulatory compliance, GDPR and data collection liability issues. Practice co-heads Steven De Schrijver, in Brussels, and Olivier Van Fraeyenhoven, in Antwerp, have strong e-commerce and cybersecurity experience between them, and a client roster that features Microsoft, Skype Communications and the Kingdom of Belgium. Pieter Paepe adds commercial gaming and gambling sector expertise.
Steven De Schrijver; Olivier Van Fraeyenhoven
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has shown commitment and reliability during our cooperation.’
Computer Software, Management, Operations & Services (Cosmos)
Engineered Performance Technologies
ISS Facility Services
Skype Communications s.à.r.l.
Kingdom of Belgium
FLEGA (Flemish Games Association)
European Gaming and Betting Association
International Social Games Association
- Representing the Kingdom of Belgium in high-profile proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union on the GDPR’s one-stop shop mechanism (Case C-645/19, Facebook v. Belgian Data Protection Authority).
- Assisting a company with the contractual set-up for a data-driven intelligence platform serving pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies and laboratories in Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Assisted the European Gaming and Betting Association with the state aid aspects of gambling tax legislation in several EU member states.
The technology and telecoms practice at boutique Cresco Advocaten handles IT contracts, IP licensing agreements and corporate partnering transactions across the digital health, medtech and venture capital industries. Headed by corporate specialist David Dessers, the team is praised for its 'highly approachable yet professional and efficient' approach, having recently advised on app-related negotiations between Qompium and Samsung Electronics. Another key name is commercial and M&A-oriented senior associate Olivier Van Raemdonck; Yannick Verrycke departed in March 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Olivier Van Raemdonck
‘Great communication. Breadth of knowledge. Honesty.’
‘Highly approachable yet professional and efficient.’
‘Excellent law firm with broad knowledge and experience. A strong focus (and hence excellent knowledge) on IT matters. Quick and efficient.’
‘Yannick Verrycke is an excellent lawyer with a broad knowledge base.’
‘Very specialised boutique law firm for start-ups and scale-ups. Tailor-made advice. Very good knowledge of the sector, its players and their needs.’
Elia – IO Energy
Droia Oncology Ventures
- Assisted Skipr with the drafting and negotiation of a strategic partnership agreement with Belfius Bank and Belfius Auto Lease, enabling the integration of the Skipr platform into the Belfius Bank application platform, together with a strategic equity investment made by Belfius into Skipr.
- Assisted Co.Station in the design and establishment of various open ecosystems emphasising co-creation and collaboration between corporates and innovative start-ups and scale-ups in different industries.
- Assisted QBIC, PMV and Vigo Ventures with the spin-out from UG Gent and their investment in QustomDot.
Crowell & Moring's caseload features commercial and telecoms regulatory matters for IT, technology and media sector companies, with particular expertise in e-commerce and internet issues. 'Easily accessible and hands-on' practice head Thomas De Meese counts Telenet as a predominant client and is currently handling an appeal to the Belgian Competition Authority regarding the 5G network joint venture between Proximus and Orange Belgium. Litigator Jan-Diederik Lindemans 'knows how to combine strategy, simplicity and originality', while cybersecurity specialist Maarten Stassen and senior counsel Luc Machtelinckx are other names to note.
Thomas De Meese
Other key lawyers:
Jan-Diederik Lindemans; Maarten Stassen; Luc Machtelinckx
‘Crowell & Moring has a genuine interest in understanding what matters to us and consequently making sure to work with that in mind. Although they are very knowledgeable, not to say brilliant at what they do, they remain very down-to-earth, no-fuss and straightforward partners who only care about us achieving our goals in the most efficient manner.’
‘We have been working with Jan-Diederik Lindemans for over a decade and he is our go-to person in the firm. We appreciate that he listens and knows how to combine strategy, simplicity and originality. It is truly impressive to see him at work in contentious matters, where he always seems at least two steps ahead of his adversary. We appreciate that he has built a solid team around him that is used to delivering quality of the same level as Jan-Diederik.’
‘The C&M IT and telecoms practice leverages one of the strongest ICT law teams in Belgium with an excellent track record and solid experience to advise clients on IT, communication and emerging technology issues.’
‘Thomas De Meese is a trusted adviser and heads up the team. His strengths include the fairly unique combination of expertise in ICT and competition law with a thorough understanding of the technology industry. On top of that, Thomas is easily accessible and hands-on.’
Weareone.world / Tomorrowland
- Advised Telenet on many contentious and non-contentious matters, in particular relating to the implementation of its regulatory access obligations and in proceedings against the proposed mobile network sharing joint venture between Proximus and Orange Belgium.
- Advised clients from the events industry on their position since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, and drafted and negotiated new contracts as appropriate.
- Advised a number of clients on the legal framework governing the use of automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras.
Jones Day provides 'first-class advice' and 'pulls together multi-disciplinary teams seamlessly across multiple offices' in order to serve its technology and telecoms clients. The practice group typically handles European Commission antitrust investigations, M&A and venture capital transactions, as well as regulatory and compliance issues. Bernard Amory and Alexandre Verheyden, who are typically instructed on competition-related matters, co-head the team alongside cybersecurity and data protection expert Jörg Hladjk and corporate specialist Thomas De Muynck.
Bernard Amory; Alexandre Verheyden; Jörg Hladjk; Thomas De Muynck
‘Jones Day has provided first-class advice, both legal and strategic, and pulls together multi-disciplinary teams seamlessly across multiple offices to support different aspects of the project.’
Milliken & Company
Broadband Belgium/Broadband Portugal
bpost N.V. van publiek recht
ComReg (Irish Commission for Communications Regulation)
Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile
GSM Association (GSMA)
- Advised Nvidia on its successful $6.9bn acquisition of Mellanox Technologies.
- Advised Index Ventures as existing investor in relation to Silverfin NV’s €27m financing round, led by Hg Capital.
- Advising the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) on all of its data protection requirements in Germany, Europe and globally.
The Linklaters TMT team predominantly handles transactional and regulatory matters for customers of IT service providers, particularly in the financial, retail and distribution sectors. Led by procurement and outsourcing specialist Tanguy Van Overstraeten, it also assists on cloud projects and cyber-related compliance, with Guillaume Couneson – who made partner in May 2020 – well experienced in working alongside data protection and telecoms regulators. Other recent matters involve the drafting and negotiating of agreements relating to IP or general commercial law.
Tanguy Van Overstraeten
Other key lawyers:
Aion (formerly Banca Monte Paschi – now part of Warburg Pincus)
Degroof Petercam Asset Management
TIP Trailer Services
- Assisting TIP Trailer Services with the drafting and negotiation of a telematics agreement involving the renting of hardware, licensing of software and the provision of related services to enable TIP to benefit from a fleet management system for trailers relying on telematics technology.
- Advising AG Insurance on a critical IT replatforming project, involving the migration of the entire IT system from an IBM mainframe-based IT system (operated by BNP Paribas Fortis) to a Windows-based system owned by AG Insurance.
- Acting for ORES, the electricity and gas distribution systems operator in south Belgium, in its negotiations with SAP on a series of agreements to convert IT systems to the new ERP SAP solution S/4HANA.
Clients appreciate Lydian's telecoms, media and technology team for its 'speed of giving dedicated advice in an informal way' on transactional, advisory and contentious matters across the sector. Practice head Bastiaan Bruyndonckx is 'to-the-point, pragmatic, and a specialist in drafting and negotiating IT contracts', as well as in data protection and cybersecurity matters. The group continues to receive referrals from foreign firms and also benefits from its ability to work with the IP, corporate, commercial and employment teams.
‘Bastaan Bruyndonckx is to-the-point, pragmatic, and a specialist in drafting and negotiating IT contracts.’
‘Very pleasant, open, dedicated and flexible communication. Clear advice without making it unnecessarily complicated.’
‘A big plus is the speed of giving dedicated advice in an informal way.’
‘Lydian is a smaller practice with the same level of experience as the big law firms. This is reflected in the level of fees which are of course to the benefit of the clients.’
‘Bastiaan Bruyndonckx has a strong knowledge of our business and, of course, of the IT and telecoms domain. He is always on standby for his clients and easy to reach. He is very responsive, hands-on and very pragmatic.’
- Assisting both Orange Belgium and Proximus, Belgium’s largest telecom operators, on the creation of a joint venture and the drafting and negotiation of several agreements to set up the first shared mobile radio access network in Belgium through this joint venture.
- Advising Metaswitch on the design, development, manufacturing and marketing of telecoms software, and recently on the drafting and negotiation of several strategic agreements for its telecoms software with VOO regarding the licensing of software and the purchase of hardware.
- Advising Ctac on the negotiations with Galeria Inno over the drafting of framework, software licence, end-user licence, service and data processing agreements regarding an SAP integrated retail solution.
At Verhaegen Walravens, the technology and communications department is best known for its wide-ranging contracts expertise, with a particular focus on software, hardware and AI-related instructions. Headed by Emmanuel Szafran – 'a true professional and expert in his field' – who handles a broad spectrum of regulatory, transactional and contentious matters, the team also has regulatory experience in cybersecurity and personal data protection compliance. Other niche areas of focus include EU and global technology export controls.
‘Always available to answer questions and also willing to travel to meet clients face-to-face.’
‘Emmanuel Szafran is a true professional and expert in his field. He is very helpful and attentive to all the matters which we have raised. He is exceptionally good at explaining the legislation in practice.’
AIG Insurance – Cyber response
Esko Graphics (member of the Danaher group)
Sony Depthsensing Solutions
- Assisting a European consortium of card payment schemes operators in the setting-up of a complex technology cross-licensing mechanism for contact-less mobile payment specifications.
- Assisting a rising technology company involved in SaaS provision for the real estate market in the development of a worldwide SaaS ecosystem and innovative digital marketing activities.
- Assisting a multinational SaaS provider of packaging and print processes in the negotiation of cross-border SaaS and IT consultancy services agreements for a brand owner in the pharmaceutical industry.
AKD's 'well-structured' IT, IP and data protection practice advises telecoms operators, cloud providers and parties seeking AI licences on a range of telecoms regulatory and digital security matters. Headed by Paul Van den Bulck, who has experience across the transactional and disputes space, it also assists on corporate and M&A-related investments.
Paul Van den Bulck
‘We are appreciative of lawyers who not only know their business well but also have experience of the software industry, are responsive and can quickly adapt to the needs of our business – such that they are almost a part of our company while they represent us – and have the resolve to provide us with the most appropriate and high-quality advice and guidance. We have not found many lawyers that consistently meet all those criteria; Paul Van den Bulck of AKD, though, is one that does.’
‘Good teamwork, well structured, can handle multiple cases.’
Partena Guichet d’Entreprises
ING (ING Corporate Investments)
Kerridge Commercial Systems
IP Nexia (Luxembourg)
@Leisure Group (Belvilla)
Institut Belge des Services postaux et des télécommunications (IBPT)
IP Nexia (Belgium)
Partena Secretariat Social
Centre de Médiation et d’Arbitrage de Paris
- Advising Kerridge Commercial Systems (an A-KKR portfolio company) on the IP, IT and data protection aspects of its acquisition of 100% of the shares in Belgium-based Virtus, a holding company with operational subsidiaries under the name Infomat.
- Advising Partena SSE on the IP, IT and data protection aspects of its strategic acquisition of 100% of the shares of IT company Brightstaffing.
- Advising IsoPix in litigation against the EU Parliament before the EU General Court.
DALDEWOLF's IP and digital law department has significant experience in copyright issues and data protection matters, as well as IT outsourcing and contracts litigation, which is predominantly handled by Sari Depreeuw. Other names of note include tax expert Olivier Bertin and competition specialist Pierre Goffinet. The team has seen further security-related instructions in light of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Olivier Bertin; Dominique Bogaert; Sari Depreeuw; Pierre Goffinet
- Assisted Dalberg Data Insights, a data solutions provider, on its work for the Belgian “Data Against Corona” task force, using aggregate telecoms data for a mobility visualisation application, used by the Belgian government in the Covid-19 crisis.
Deloitte Legal's IT and IP department is headed by commercial and criminal law expert Jürgen Egger in Antwerp, alongside Ghent-based director Matthias Vierstraete. Matter highlights involve the integration and launch of new platforms – including moves to cloud set-ups – data life cycle management and cybersecurity incidents.
Jürgen Egger; Matthias Vierstraete
Het Domein Bokrijk VZW
Van de Wiele
- Assisted a consortium of five banks with pooling their ATM operations and shifting to an “ATM-as-a-service” model.
- Assisted Elia in view of its participation in a Europe-wide blockchain project in the energy sector.
With particular expertise in litigation proceedings, Deprevernet's 'fast-growing' competition and regulation practice provides 'to-the-point advice' on various telecoms and media-related issues. Department co-heads Philippe Vernet and Sébastien Depré’s regulated network industry and public law knowledge, respectively, are important value-adds. Counsel Eric Bodson also has an impressive track record in front of the Brussels Market Court.
Philippe Vernet; Sébastien Depré
Other key lawyers:
‘Very specialised in litigation. They are very active at the level of the Market Court. They have a fast-growing team.‘
‘In-depth knowledge of regulatory and competition law in network industries, especially in telecoms. To-the-point advice, extensive litigation experience before the courts, in particular the specific administrative courts and the Belgian Market Court.‘
‘Philippe Vernet has a very good knowledge of the merits of a case and is able to summarise the substance of a case in a few words. He makes simple what is important and complex for the judge to understand. Sébastien Depré is a great litigator.‘
‘The partners are very experienced. They differ from other lawyers in the sector because of their different and particular backgrounds, which is the added value for working with them. I would especially recommend Philippe Vernet.‘
Institut belge des services postaux et des télécommunications (IBPT) – Belgisch Instituut voor postdiensten en telecommunicatie (BIPT)
Conférence des Régulateurs du secteur des Communications électronique – Conferentie van regulatoren voor de eletronischecommunicatiesector (CRC)
Belgian Government (Minister for telecoms/digital agenda)
- Represented BIPT before the Market Court and the Belgian government before the Court of Justice in a case brought by Skype/Microsoft about the scope of the regulatory framework for electronic communications and the extent to which it applies to OTT-type of service.
- Represented BIPT before the Market Court and the Belgian government before the Court of Justice in proceedings brought by Viasat regarding Inmarsat Ventures Ltd’s rights of use in respect of complementary ground components of mobile satellite systems.
- Represented CRC in appeals lodged by Telenet, Nethys and Brutélé before the Market Court regarding broadband internet and broadcasting markets regulation.
Monard Law's 'business-savvy and fast-thinking' information and communication technology practice predominantly handles IT contract and service agreement negotiations, as well as data protection compliance and disputes work. The team is lead by Hasselt-based Kristof Zadora, who specialises in cloud computing and big data matters, with support from Ghent-based associate partner and IP expert Stephane Criel.
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledge. Client focus. Solution focus. Availability. Good response times.’
‘Pragmatic approach focused on the needs of our company.’
‘We have lots of trust in Kristof Zadora. Very satisfied with their work.’
‘Business-savvy and fast-thinking.’
ACA IT Solutions
The Safe Group
Dobco Medical Systems
Dewaele Vastgoedgroep met Advies
Digatus IT Services
CDK Global (UK)
AZ Jan Palfijn
- Advising WEAREONE.world on contracts work for the new “Tomorrowland digital” online festival, which was launched within a tight timeframe due to the Covid-19 measures in the event sector.
- Providing general legal services to the IT department of Recticel NV.
- Assisting Computacenter with the drafting, reviewing and negotiating of commercial agreements in the field of IT services.
Osborne Clarke leverages its litigation expertise in the technology sector to assist IP and IT clients with contract negotiations, software licences and cloud computing agreements, as well as exiting from outsourcing set-ups or transferring to new suppliers. Practice head Benjamin Docquir is the key contact, with a focus on digital transformations and mitigating information management and security risks.
Belgian Mobile ID
Brussels Airport Company
- Advised Clarivate on its acquisition of Darts-ip, an award-winning Belgian tech company.
- Assisting Tein Technology, an international provider of IT, security and telecoms infrastructure solutions, on a variety of IP issues relating to its operations.
- Assisted Skemmi, a provider of IT and interactive entertainment solutions, on the drafting of its contractual framework for the roll-out of its entertainment solution in different jurisdictions.
Clients recognise dispute resolution boutique Petillion's 'deep knowledge of the IT and telecoms industry', which has a particular focus on IP and data protection mandates. Practice head and name partner Flip Petillion has 'an outstanding reputation', particularly in the field of domain name policy, while associate Jan Janssen is noted as 'a very knowledgeable litigator' in trade mark enforcement mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Petillion has a deep knowledge of the IT and telecoms industry and offers excellent quality. They stand out in the field of domain names, from high-end policy level issues to hands-on domain name disputes.’
‘Flip Petillion is a very experienced and knowledgeable IT and telecoms lawyer and is highly recommended for litigation and domain name policy. Jan Janssen is also a very knowledgeable litigator.’
‘Since Petillion is a relatively small, boutique law firm; this allows them to provide tailored, high-quality legal services in a time- and cost-effective manner. The firm has extensive experience in the IT and telecoms sectors with a great understanding of complex issues varying from GDPR to privacy and big data.’
‘What makes the firm different is that it consists of a close team of people who have been working together for many years and who are able to handle the most complex matters. The team is headed by an exceptional professional, Flip Petillion, who has an outstanding reputation in intellectual property, communication, technology and media.’
IKEA (Inter Ikea Systems B.V.)
- Representing Namecheap, a leading domain name registrar, in an ICDR arbitration against ICANN.