The team at Allen & Overy LLP, renowned for its focus on transformational technology transactions, is well-equipped to handle the full array of TMT mandates. This includes technology, internet, media, telecoms and intellectual property matters, as well as advancements in technology law – including drones, robotics, fintech and blockchain. Practice co-chair Filip Van Elsen often advises clients on the implications of new EU regulations on artificial intelligence, data and cybersecurity; he possesses particular expertise in digital innovation and transformation, including data centres and AI technology. Peter Van Dyck is often engaged in data protection, technology and IP law, frequently representing domestic and multinational clients on the full array of IT matters, especially the digital transformations of businesses.
Industry focus: IT and telecoms in Belgium
Allen & Overy LLP
Filip Van Elsen; Peter Van Dyck
With extensive knowledge of IP protection clauses applicable to IT and employment contracts, Bird & Bird acts for a host of blue-chip companies, both domestic and international. Benoit Van Asbroeck is a particularly reputed figure who often appears before the Court of Justice of the European Union. Benoit is well-versed in the drafting and negotiation of complex TMT contracts, including energy digitalisation, distribution, and procurement. Elsewhere within the practice, Hein Hobbelen advises various significant telecoms clients on the full spectrum of competition law matters.
Benoit Van Asbroeck; Hein Hobbelen
Robert Bosch GmbH
- Assisted the SMART-BEAR Consortium with GDPR and privacy compliance in the context of an 2020 research project funded by the European Commission.
- Assisted the European Commission in connection with the implementation of its European Blockchain Services Infrastructure (EBSI) project, designed to facilitate the delivery of public services across the EEA.
- Assisted DigitalEurope through legal analysis covering EU Member States’ implementation of the European Electronic Communications Code (EECC).
The IT & Telecoms team at CMS covers the full array of contentious and non-contentious technology and communications matters, and is particularly reputed for its media expertise. Department co-chair Dirk Van Liedekerke is a seasoned practitioner with more than 20 years of experience. He is proficient in both EU and Belgian competition and telecommunication law, possessing in-depth knowledge regarding merger control filings and litigation. Tom De Cordier is a well-established figure for technology-related IP, data privacy, and media and communications law, covering an array of advisory, litigation and transactional work at a domestic and international scale.
Dirk Van Liedekerke; Tom De Cordier
‘CMS has deep knowledge about the world of DNS and internet and can provide valuable advise in situations where a conflict already exists as well as in situations where the client can be advised to adopt a strategy to protect his rights and to prevent potential conflicts.’
‘The people we work with at CMS understand our needs very well and are available to us on short notice. We also appreciate that several key people within CMS have different skill sets, e.g. advice in litigation vs. advice on privacy related matters’.
‘CMS has a broad network together with deep expertise covers all over Europe and CIS. This wide coverage makes this firm different from the others. Their work product is always value for money.’
Sagi (Telio Group)
- Advised Proximus regarding all corporate, merger control, regulatory and commercial law aspects of the Joint Venture Agreements that it has concluded with two alternative infrastructure providers (Eurofiber and DeltaFiber/EQT).
- Represented Airbnb in two cases for preliminary ruling before the European Court of Justice upon referral by the Belgian Constitutional Court and the Italian Council of State.
- Represented two US entities of Amazon in trademark infringement proceedings against Christian Louboutin before the Brussels Court.
Crowell & Moring
Crowell & Moring‘s wide-ranging expertise ensures that the team is frequently engaged on a myriad of sector-specific issues, advising on information obligations, e-advertising and IT outsourcing contracts, among other matters. The group further supports clients on the drafting of telecommunications agreements, as well as their regulatory requirements. The department, headed by Thomas De Meese, commonly appears before the Court of Appeal of Brussels and BIPT in significant electronic communication cases. Thomas is a highly experienced practitioner who is particularly dedicated to competition, telecommunications and technology law. He is especially knowledgeable of commercial litigation and transactional matters, whilst Frederik Van Remoortel is proficient in data protection work.
Thomas De Meese
Other key lawyers:
Frederik Van Remoortel
AI, Data and Robotics Association
Liberty Global / Telenet
- Represented Telenet, the largest provider of cable broadband services in Belgium, on many separate matters before the BIPT, BCA and the European Commission, and before the Belgian courts.
- Advised different clients from the new technologies sector on a wide variety of IP and commercial/corporate issues, including the negotiation and drafting of strategic collaboration contracts.
- Assisted the joint undertaking EuroHPC, a public-private partnership, with the aim to develop a pan-European supercomputing infrastructure, and to support research and innovation activities with its compliance with the data protection regulation applicable to EU institutions.
The IT and telecom team at DLA Piper routinely assists domestic and international clients on a spectrum of matters, including large-scale projects and associated disputes. Kristof De Vulder, who oversees the department, possesses over 20 years of experience in contractual, transactional and outsourcing work. He also routinely assists clients in matters relating to the critical and strategical aspects of global procurement projects. Raf Schoefs is well-versed in the full spectrum of IT and telecommunications law, including work related to e-commerce, data protection, electronic signatures and intermediary liability.
Kristof De Vulder
Other key lawyers:
‘A solid and efficient team. Raf Schoefs is able to offer complementary skill in analysis, drafting and negotiation.’
‘The team is impressively experienced, they are hard working people and I am a big fan of Krsitof De Vulder and his team.’
‘Flexible team with great knowledge and hands on approach.’
Fluvius System Operator
Kuwait Petroleum (Q8)
LBC Tank Terminals
WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature)
SNCB/NMBS (Belgian railways)
- Assisted Fluvius System Operator, a public utility company, with the setting up of a joint venture with Telenet for the roll-out of an open, high-speed glass fibre-to-the-home network.
- Provided strategic advice and assistance to Aliaxis on the tendering and negotiation of major ERP contracts in a multi-vendor set-up.
- Assisted bpost throughout a software replacement process, including arrangements with a third party service provider regarding assignments and co-ownership of software, further enhancement thereof, and delivery of related consulting services.
Stibbe handles a host of mandates for clients in the telecom space, frequently advising on legal challenges related to data retention legislation. Beyond this, the practice assists significant internet and social media service providers with domestic law queries and questions regarding the purview of intelligence agencies. Department head Erik Valgaeren, a practitioner with decades of experience, is internationally reputed for his extensive knowledge in the TMT sector. Names to note at senior associate level include Carolien Michielsen, who has worked on a number of key mandates of late.
Other key lawyers:
‘Erik Valgaeren and his team have the capability to analyse and strategically guide complex IT projects with excellent contract negotiation skills and a hands-on approach.’
‘Erik Valgaeren is an outstanding lawyer with a profound understanding of relevant IT developments in the market. He has the capacity to identify the critical needs of his clients in connection with IT projects.’
‘Highly experienced and easy to work with.’
‘Excellent cooperation, and great in-depth knowledge.’
‘They are very flexible and available.’
- Assisted DigitalBridge in their acquisition of Telenet’s passive tower infrastructure.
- Assisted Atrias on a conflict with Accenture concerning the implementation of the CMS-system and giving legal support for the renewal of their maintenance contract of CMS-system.
- Assisted Proximus in litigation matters involving their telecom agents, including pre-litigation advice on the telecom sector as well as representing Proximus’ interests in case of litigation.
ALTIUS routinely assists social media platforms, software companies and app developers, who turn to the team for its strength in litigation and other disputes relating to data protection. The practice, which frequently appears before the highest administrative court, is co-chaired by Gerrit Vandendriessche, who offers his insight on electronic communications, e-commerce and cloud computing. Fellow co-chair Jérôme Vermeylen is particularly focused on the IT sector, while other notable team members include Jan Clinck and Mathieu Maniet who shore up the practice’s expertise in data protection litigation. Mathieu, in particular, is well-versed in telecom regulatory laws – including lawful interception.
Gerrit Vandendriessche; Jérôme Vermeylen
Other key lawyers:
Jan Clinck; Mathieu Maniet
‘ The team is driven by an attention to detail that idelivers pragmatic advice.’
‘Gerrit Vandendriessche truly understands clients.’
‘Considering the areas of practice they have, it is really useful to work with them for business in the Benelux sector.’
‘They understand our guidelines and our culture, and respect such issues when they lead and take care of our businesses.’
‘They are really aligned with the in-house lawyers and collaborate closely with our business teams.’
Citymesh (part of Cegeka)
Vertica Capital Partners
- Assisted Citymesh in setting up a joint venture with DIGI, who will act as the 4th mobile operator in Belgium, and also assisted the JV in preparing and participating to the recent 5G mobile spectrum auction in Belgium.
- Assisted a new fiber telecoms operator in relation to regulatory, commercial and administrative law issues.
- Assisted a large IT hardware manufacturer in relation to a contractual dispute.
With a reputation for IT dispute resolution, the team at Fieldfisher is knowledgeable in the full array of system procurement, hardware and software matters, regularly utilising its expertise in systems development and support services. The department frequently advises clients on EU regulations concerning the digital single market, such as the Data Act and Data Governance Act. The practice is jointly headed up by Tim Van Canneyt and Stijn Debaene; the former is thoroughly seasoned in data protection, and is often engaged in technology contract negotiation and litigation, while the latter is focused on the media and telecom industries.
Tim Van Canneyt; Stijn Debaene
‘Fieldfisher has been our go-to firm for more than ten years to our full satisfaction, and the firm has a great ratio of quality to price. Fieldfisher has the capacity to remain precise and operational, to present advice in regard to juridical risk management.’
‘The team has a strong knowledge of the IT/Telecom practice and acts as a partner in searching for solutions that fit our business practice.’
‘The team delivers on time and communicates in a clear way. Appointments and commitments are held.’
‘Highly qualified, very proactive, and practical in their approach. They are able to give concrete solutions tailored to business needs within the required deadlines, and are very transparent on the budget.’
‘High-quality expertise and tailored approach to business needs; Fieldfisher is not just a consultant, but a real trusted partner when it comes to concretely understanding risks and possibilities for our business.’
Banque Degroof Petercam
Proxyclick (Condeco Software)
- Assisted an advertising technology reseller providing adtech solutions on the contractual aspects of its nomination as one of the first Amazon Ads Advanced Partners in EMEA.
- Assisted Calypso Networks Associations with the negotiation of a partnership agreement with Apple, which will allow users of public transport across the globe to validate their transport ticket using their iPhone.
- Advised Banque Degroof Petercam on the European Banking Authority’s Outsourcing Guidelines and assisting with the renegotiation of critical outsourcing agreements.
The team at time.lex is noted for its work with the European Commission and various domestic government bodies, among other clients, on legislative work in the data protection realm. Hans Graux is proficient in cloud services, including artificial intelligence and e-identification and trust services, whereas Frederic Debusseré is reputed for his expertise in technology related litigation, advising on proceedings related to digital copyright and data protection infringements. Ruben Roex assists domestic and international clients as a data protection officer, while other key names within the practice include Geert Somers, Edwin Jacobs and Jos Dumortier.
Jos Dumortier; Hans Graux; Geert Somers; Edwin Jacobs; Frederic Debusseré; Ruben Roex
‘They have niche expertise on technology law and the team is quite often involved in international deals.’
‘Frederic Debusseré is outstanding because of his knowledge and his practical approach to questions asked. He is a trusted pair of hands.’
‘ The team has good, in-depth knowledge’.
European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA)
International Association of Internet Hotlines (INHOPE)
- Assisted the European Commission in drafting the proposal for an EU Regulation on the European Health Data Space.
- Assisted Sony Pictures Entertainment with reviewing an online advertising services technology agreement.
- Assisted Luminus with drawing up contracts for e-mobility solutions.
Cresco Advocaten's broad coverage sees them advising on corporate partnering transactions as well as strategic IT and IP matters, often assisting companies with strategic advice on portfolio growth. The department also excels in the implementation of technology solutions into products through licensing, OEM licensing and joint-venture arrangements. David Dessers is a key port of call for a number of domestic technologies companies and entrepreneurs, who turn to him for assistance with their fundraising and acquisitions activities. Olivier Van Raemdonck is a seasoned lawyer who routinely works on innovative ventures related to complex commercial transactions.
David Dessers; Olivier Van Raemdonck
‘Great knowledge about technology.’
‘Deep industry expertise.’
‘Olivier Van Raemdonck helps out and advises personally, or together, with his team in a very timely manner.’
‘A young and dynamic team focusing on legal aspects of innovation, guided by highly experienced partners.’
‘ A team with deep expertise on our core needs, namely funding and capital raising in early-stage companies.’
‘A team with broad expertise on different subjects of the law.’
‘Olivier Van Raemdonck has shown round-the-clock availability, fast and committed support.’
Vlerick Business School
- Advised UFO Drive on its global strategic partnership with Hertz.
- Advised Skipr in its partnerships with Belfius, ALD Automotive and Sodexo.
- Advised Spacewell on its worldwide technology and commercial contracting.
The longstanding IT and telecommunications department at Jones Day continues to aid clients through its assessment of industry developments in the technology and telecoms fields. The team is well-equipped to aid clients in this sector, possessing a wealth of experience in the full spectrum of matters, including compliance, antitrust and commercial work. Bernard Amory has provided long-term support on competition and regulatory mandates to media and IT companies alike – both at the domestic and Europe-wide level. Alexandre Verheyden is a key contact for both private and public sector clients; Thomas De Muynck is routinely engaged in cross-border technology matters; and Jörg Hladjk is active in data protection and cybersecurity work.
Bernard Amory; Alexandre Verheyden; Jörg Hladjk; Thomas De Muynck
‘Jörg Hladjk is a leader in the IT/telecom practice. Jörg brings a sophisticated understanding of relevant EU laws with a pragmatic, solution-focused perspective on advising clients in the IT/telecom industry.’
‘Jörg and his team excel on not just reciting the applicable law and issues, but also providing a workable solution, Jörg’s ability to anticipate needs separates him from the rest.’
‘Jörg has a high degree of technical sophistication that facilitates his ability to give workable solutions.’
‘Clients like Jörg because he is already thinking beyond what issues might be present, and advises on how a problem might be addressed, mitigated or resolved.’
‘Jones Day accompanied us through a very complex assignment. We very much appreciated their way of working, always favouring teamwork and co-construction with the different teams throughout the process.’
Experian Information Systems
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Telecoms/Technology (Regulatory & Competition):
bpost (Belgian State-owned postal operator)
ComReg (Irish Commission for Communications Regulation)
Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile
PIMCO (Pacific Investment Management Company LLC)
Telenet / Liberty Global
Technology (M&A and Venture Capital):
Arsenal Capital Partners
- Represented Proxyclick in its exit transaction to Thoma Bravo-backed Condeco.
- Advised Orange on a data protection and cybersecurity assessment of MásMóvil in the context of its agreement with MásMóvil to combine their businesses in Spain.
- Represented Deutsche Telekom/ T-Mobile before the European in a European Commission antitrust investigation.
The team at Linklaters, which is particularly proficient in data protection, assists IT clients on projects across a range of industries. The group assists domestic and international clients across the telecommunication sector, advising on the full spectrum of electronic communication matters, including regulatory work and transactional projects. Department head Tanguy Van Overstraeten – a market veteran with more than three decades of experience – regularly handles advisory, transactional and litigation work, and possesses a particular aptitude in IT outsourcing projects.
Tanguy Van Overstraeten
‘The team has very good knowledge of the market. The lawyers understand the situation and interests of both the IT firms and their clients.’
‘We appreciate the deep knowledge and experience of Tanguy Van Overstraeten, and his capacity to defend the interests of his clients.’
‘Tanguy Van Overstraeten is an asset to balance negotiations with big IT firms.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the legal domain; great availability; good price/quality of work; perfectionism.’
‘Tanguy Van Overstraeten is an excellent lawyer, he has a proactive approach, is solution-based, and is a good negotiator.’
CLT-UFA (RTL Group)
Degroof Petercam Asset Management
Eneco Belgium (Mitsubishi Group)
- Assisted Agfa-Gevaert with the outsourcing of their IT (ICS) department globally towards a third party supplier.
- Advised Proximus on the development and operation of a new web-based and mobile device application for medical teleconsultation in Belgium.
- Assisted Degroof Petercam Asset Management with the development of an innovative tech-driven investment product.
A popular referral partner for foreign firms requiring telecoms expertise, Lydian regularly assists a range of corporate clients on all manner of telecom mandates. The team has latterly strengthened its capabilities in the IT sector by some margin, working on international software and equipment procurement matters. The practice is led by Bastiaan Bruyndonckx, a highly knowledgeable practitioner who is particularly proficient in cybersecurity, IT and telecoms. Bastiaan’s experience in the data sector encompasses AI and big data projects, and he demonstrates particular prowess in data protection work.
‘A flexible team with detailed knowledge of the legal domain of IT and telecoms.’
‘We regularly work with Bastiaan Bruyndonckx on account of his in-depth knowledge.’
- Assisted Dense Air regarding new legislative developments in Belgium on spectrum and advised on the impact this may have on the current 4G licenses of Dense Air.
- Advised Typeform SL with the acquisition of the technology of Journy.io, a Belgian start-up, through an asset deal.
- Advised Nuwave Communications Limited, a UK telecom operator which offers dial in products to several companies, on Belgian telecom regulatory matters.
Thoroughly experienced in data protection and privacy matters, the team at Verhaegen Walravens is reputed for its knowledge in technology contracts and software issues, in particular SaaS. The department routinely offers their expertise to B2B platform platforms on a wide range of affairs, including e-payment, e-signatures and digital marketing. Drawing on more than 20 years of experience in technology and communications law, Emmanuel Szafran heads up the department. He frequently assists multinational clients with both domestic and global issues, and is noted for his expertise in personal data protection, network security and cloud computing contracts.
‘Emmanuel Szafran is really skilled at IT and data law, with a good understanding of the business.’
‘We worked with Emmanuel Szafran who has knowledge in IT, intellectual property, and contract negotiation and has a joint-problem-solving attitude.’
‘I worked with Emmanuel Szafran and he proved to be very pragmatic and practical, but still precise, which was very valuable for our client.’
Sony Depthsensing Solutions
- Advised a global urban air mobility platform for GDPR-compliance at EU level.
- Advised a multinational Swiss-based telecom operator on regulatory issues in the deployment of SD Wan services in Belgium.
- Advised a technology company providing clinical trial solutions in negotiating a complex multinational technology licensing and services agreement.
With extensive knowledge of the technology sector, the team at Deloitte is well-equipped to assist clients on the full spectrum of IT and telecom work. The department regularly advises clients on highly technical engagements, offering expertise on cybersecurity, personal data and blockchain among other matters. Jurgen Egger leads the department’s IP practice, while Matthias Vierstraete provides the group with thorough expertise in IT law, including e-commerce and software development.
Matthias Vierstraete; Jurgen Egger
‘Easily accessible and highly knowledgeable.’
European Commission – DG Digit
Vandewiele / Belgian Monitoring Systems BV
GZA (Ziekenhuizen GasthuisZusters Antwerpen)
Beaulieu International Group (BIG)
- Assisted with the drafting and negotiating of a government contract for Aquafin NV for the purchase of a new cloud-based ERP system and integration with multiple candidates.
- Assisted Nipro (Nipro Digital Technologies Europe NV or “NDTE”) with an international software reseller structure and the related contractual framework.
- Assisted the DIGIT.C1 by assessing the current maturity of the European Commission towards cloud adoption and provision of recommendations to enhance such cloud adoption.
The team at Deprevernet routinely assists clients on the full spectrum of telecom and media mandates, including wholesale tariffs, the implementation of 5G, and access to cable infrastructures, among other work. Notable ongoing engagements for the department, which has appeared before the Court of Justice of the European Union, include its continuing advice to the BIPT in telecommunication and postal services matters. Philippe Vernet is a seasoned practitioner with over 25 years’ experience in the sector who possesses niche knowledge of regulated network industries. Sébastien Depré is another name to note within the team.
Sébastien Depré; Philippe Vernet
‘The team is very available and is capable of absorbing the complexities of a new case very quickly.’
‘They have a no-fuss and very to-the-point approach, which is highly appreciated in urgent questions.’
‘Evrard de Lophem and Sébastien Depré are very capable and efficient but also very nice to work with. They try their best to be client-oriented but also tell you if what you want is not a safe solution.’
Belgian Minister for Digital Agenda
Belgian Minister of Economy
Belgian Minister of the Interior
- Represented the telecoms regulator (BIPT) before the Market Court against decisions to grant licences for the development of 5G mobile networks.
- Advised the Ministry of Justice and various public departments dealing with either telecoms, intelligence or security issues, in matters related to the retention of data by telecommunications operators.
- Represented the Ministry of Economy in two requests for a preliminary ruling before the Court of justice on the application of the ne bis in idem principle in competition law cases.
The team at Loyens & Loeff is knowledgeable in the full spectrum of IT & Telecoms mandates, including contract law and regulatory work. The practice also routinely aids clients by conducting due diligence on cross-border mergers, acquisitions and divestitures. Stéphanie De Smedt frequently advises clients on consumer protection laws in e-commerce, contractual liability risks, as well as IP. Disputes specialist Hakim Boularbah is another name to note.
Stéphanie De Smedt; Hakim Boularbah
‘We use the team for privacy breaches in Belgium. They are always on hand, even at weekends and provide a diligent, and impressive, work product.’
‘The privacy team is very good and provides pragmatic advice that is. Also commercial and good value for money.’
Infopro Digital Group
Palo Alto Networks
Tata Consultancy Services
- Assisted Proximus, one of Belgium’s leading telecom providers, in court litigation.
- Assisted Meta Platforms Ireland in court litigation.
- Assisted OmniVision Technologies, one of the global leaders in semi-conductors design in their expansion to the Belgian market.
Proficient in cross-border litigation and contract management, Monard Law possesses extensive knowledge on the full spectrum of technological solutions, as well as IT infrastructure. The team is headed up by Kristof Zadora, who specialises in data protection, internet of things (loT) and cloud computing. Other names to note include Stefanie Stappers, who is particularly well-versed in IT and public procurement law.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is always on top of things. A proactive and pragmatic approach, a stellar knowledge of the applicable law and jurisprudence, and a thorough understanding of our business.’
‘Efficient in tackling any challenge.’
‘A tailored and realistic approach towards any challenge and their client really sets this team apart.’
‘Kristof and Stefanie distinguish themselves as team members with their good communication skills, sound judgment, and analytical skills, among many other qualities.’
Kristof and Stefanie’s empathy, perseverance and people skills really creates a sense of a team effort and the idea that we really are all in it for the long haul while establishing a a long term relationship.’
Aurubis / Metallo Group
DOBCO Medical Systems
- Advised the Tomorrowland group on the development, launch and sale of their NFT collection and partnership with FTX.
- Provided Satellic with legal advice on matters related to its core business and is actively involved in supporting Satellic’s day-to-day business.
- Acted as trusted advisor for Greenyard and its international affiliates and advises on an array of new tech, AI and IT related matters.
With noteworthy experience across the worlds of retail, financial services, and fintech in particular, the team at Osborne Clarke regularly assists significant domestic and international clients with various IT matters, including cloud computing agreements, software licensing, and contractual issues. Practice chair Benjamin Docquir is particularly knowledgeable in IP and technology matters, and often assists clients with the digital transformation of businesses, demonstrating particular expertise in data privacy law. Other key figures within the practice include Laurens Dauwe, who is proficient in IT litigation and internet regulation.
Other key lawyers:
The Eclipse.org Foundation, Inc.
Abacus Group LLC
- Assisted with “Moliere” – an EU funded consortium between Osborne Clarke, car manufacturers and IoT providers – aiming to deploy an open smart mobility platform using IoT technology, blockchain and GPS data.
- Assisted Sentia on a variety of IT-contracting issues as well as complex cloud outsourcing and management projects.
- Assisted Greenomy, a provider of a digital platform enabling financial firms and asset managers to comply with the new EU sustainable finance rules.
Petillion’s boutique practice is well-equipped to assist clients on the full array of IT and telecoms matters, often supporting clients new to the market with self-regulation. With experience in GDPR compliance, social networks, automation, and 5G, the team works with clients on a host of regulatory issues, including licensing requirements, data protection and lawful intercept obligations. The department is headed up by Flip Petillion, an experienced practitioner who routinely manages cross-border disputes regarding trade secrets and technology transfers. Bringing a wealth of licensing and distribution knowledge to bear, Jan Janssen regularly assists clients in the management and the enforcement of IP rights.
Other key lawyers:
Belgian Lawyers Society (IT entity: DPA – Diplad CV)
IKEA (Inter Ikea Systems B.V.)
Raya App, Inc.
WIPO, Forum, CAC UDRP’s, CEPANI, NOMINET
- Advised and represented Namecheap Inc in an ICDR arbitration against ICANN regarding the removal of the price caps on legacy domains such as .org.
- Assisted the IT entity (DPA –Diplad) of the Belgian Bar on a weekly basis in matters related to the development and support of software solutions for attorneys in Belgium.
- Advised and represented IKEA regarding the online protection and enforcement of their brand.
Engaged by clients for their expertise in technology and data law, the department at Simont Braun is well-equipped to assist a host of entities, drawing on its cross-disciplinary capabilities in dispute resolution, M&A, and regulatory matters. Department co-chair Joan Carette is a highly knowledgeable IT lawyer who routinely assists clients in the financial sector, advising on outsourcing, e-identification, and contractual matters, among others. Eric De Gryse is proficient in both domestic and international trademark litigation, and is often engaged in patent and design mandates.
Joan Carette; Eric De Gryse
- Advised Belgian Mobile ID on its mobile identification project, allowing users of the itsme mobile app to register as new clients with commercial entities to log in and authenticate with those entities, to remotely approve transactions (including banking or financial transactions) and to digitally sign contracts.
- Assisted Socios – a major blockchain-based fan token used by all major European football clubs – on various questions related to Belgian regulation and law.
- Assisted Assia, an owner of many standard essential patents covering technologies for telecom lines, in complex patent litigations.