Allen & Overy LLP works with a global client base across the tech, life sciences, financial services, and energy sectors on regulatory compliance, technology transactions, and litigation arising from regulatory challenges and breaches. The firm’s standout capabilities include cross-border outsourcing arrangements, digital transformation, and the development and launch of disruptive IT products, with practice co-head Filip Van Elsen taking the lead on cross-border IT projects and co-head Peter Van Dyck handling matters at the intersection of commercial, data, intellectual property, and IT regulations. Senior counsel Geert Glas and senior associate Edward Taelman are noted for their combination of IT and IP expertise, particularly within the life sciences space.
EU regulatory: Information technology in Belgium
Allen & Overy LLP
Peter Van Dyck; Filip Van Elsen
Other key lawyers:
Geert Glas; Edward Taelman
DLA Piper advises both vendors and users of IT on the regulatory elements of large-scale procurement and outsourcing projects, as well as providing strategic support on regulatory compliance and upcoming legislative developments, and also working with public sector organisations on the implementation of regulations. Focused heavily on the tech sector, the firm also advises a number of leading names in financial services, telecoms, and automotives. Practice head Kristof De Vulder takes the lead on complex elements of worldwide procurement projects, while counsel Raf Schoefs specialises in outsourcing work. Counsel Nicolas Becker is noted for his contentious IT regulatory expertise, including litigation.
Kristof De Vulder
Other key lawyers:
Raf Schoefs; Nicholas Becker; Florian De Rouck; Alexis Fierens; Nicolas Becker; Heidi Waem
‘Very pragmatic thinking, looking at the value perspective of the client.’
‘Impressively experienced, hard working people. Big fan of Krsitof De Vulder and his team’
‘Flexible team with great knowledge and hands on approach.’
‘DLA has a complete team with all the required expertise and know how. We value the availability of a full team (also due to big volume of work sometimes or different areas of expertise that cross each other). The collaboration over the last years has always been very good. They respect deadlines and understand your expectations.’
‘They are experts in their field. They also know our company very well due to a long partnership which makes the collaboration even easier.’
‘The team engages in continuous improvement of their practices and in-depth knowledge of the domain of information technology. As such, as a team they specialize in a broad spectrum of topics in this domain.’
‘On an individual level I find the people I have worked with extremely knowledgeable about the latest developments in information technology so that they can provide their clients with pertinent and strategic legal advice. I would like to mention Kristof De Vulder, Alexis Fierens, Nicolas Becker and Heidi Waem specifically.’
‘The individuals were knowledgeable and comprehensive during the entire process.’
Kuwait Petroleum (Q8)
SNCB/NMBS (Belgian railways)
Toyota Motor Europe
- Assisting Adobe with the continued improvement and extension of the Adobe eSignature guide, covering 40+ jurisdictions around the world.
- Advising nexuzhealth, the leading electronic patient file and e-health provider in Belgium, on the negotiation of a reseller agreement and a master services agreement with GC Innovate with respect to its Google Cloud platform environment.
- Acted for Cegeka in the preparation of an outsourcing contract template compliant with the guidelines of the European Banking Authority.
An ‘exceptional‘ boutique firm focused on IT and data protection work, time.lex combines strategic advice to major domestic and European businesses on European IT regulation, representation in high-stakes litigation, including regular work on behalf of the Belgian Data Protection Authority and public sector organisations, and standout advice to government bodies on the drafting and implementation of new legislation. The highly experienced team includes Jos Dumortier, a doyen of the Belgian tech and data regulatory scene, AI and cloud specialist Hans Graux , Frederic Debusseré, who combines IT contracts expertise with litigation work, and Ruben Roex, also a standout litigator, alongside Edwin Jacobs and Geert Somers.
Jos Dumortier; Hans Graux; Geert Somers; Edwin Jacobs; Frederic Debusseré; Ruben Roex
‘The team is very friendly and always available. Their IT expertise and industry knowledge is exceptional.’
‘A breadth of knowledge from real subject matter experts.’
‘They are a niche firm that is exceptionally good at what they do. I would refer any work on Belgian data protection to them.’
‘Frederic Debusseré is very adept at providing practical and to the point advice, clearly incorporating his litigation experience when providing legal guidance.’
‘Very strong academic background. At the edge of legal development.’
‘I think Edwin Jacobs can think strategically very well, also considering practicalities.’
European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA)
- Assisting the European Commission in drafting the proposal for an EU Regulation on the European Health Data Space.
- Advising the Belgian Government (Ministry of Policy and Support) on various IT-related topics.
- Advising the Belgian Government (Ministry of Social Security) on the application of the European and Belgian network and information security (NIS) legislation.
Led by specialist IT and data regulatory practitioner Patrick Van Eecke, who has ‘endless experience‘ in complex issues across key industry sectors and emerging industries such as AI, e-commerce, and cloud signatures, the team at Cooley LLP acts for a diverse range of European and global companies, including major market players and disruptors in sectors such as tech, retail, and life sciences. The firm handles regulatory compliance for cross-border projects, day-to-day operational issues, and complex, often contentious matters relating to new products and legislative developments.
Patrick Van Eecke
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Gabrielle Haie; Enrique Gallego Capdevila
‘Cooley has very strong experience with cybersecurity, Trust Service Provider-related regulations, including digital signature, and hardware compliance.’
‘Patrick Van Eecke has deep and broad knowledge on all things TSP, as well as strong connections to important agencies handling those regulations.’
‘The team works closely with the data privacy & data protection team and is key in matters they assist with, giving unique business friendly assistance to us.’
‘Patrick Van Eecke brings endless experience and has extremely good knowledge of applicable legislation combined with a very business focused approach.’
‘Cooley team is expanding under the lead of Patrick Van Eecke, they are very professional, hands-on and they have very good knowledge of the industr(ies). We received excellent support in a very delicate and complex matter, and issues were solved and risks mitigated.’
‘Patrick Van Eecke: by far the best privacy lawyer in Belgian and abroad. Expert, pragmatic, problem solver and open communicator.’
‘The team is comprised of highly professional team members, always happy to assist and provide professional and practical advice.’
‘I have extensive experience and pleasure of working with Mr. Enrique Capdevila, supporting Privacy aspects. Enrique is a trusted partner. Providing Legal review and advice while understanding the company’s specific needs and circumstances. The results are on the spot, allowing me, as internal legal counsel, to understand, mitigate and communicate Privacy risks internally and externally with great clarity. And, it is always a pleasure working with him.’
- Advising Docusign on the legal compliance issues related to electronic signatures and electronic documents in Europe.
- Advising Sodastream on a wide range of cutting-edge complex matters related to household connected devices and e-commerce.
- Advising UiPath on cutting edge matters such as the upcoming EU legislation on Artificial Intelligence, and on their automated decision-making processes.
Jones Day has a strong focus on telecoms and tech sector regulatory work, combining knowledge of EU-level sector regulation with competition law, and is able to advise global businesses alongside public sector bodies on regulatory compliance and throughout sectoral investigations and enforcement actions brought by regulators, alongside representing clients in litigation before EU courts. The team is overseen by Alexandre Verheyden and Bernard Amory, highly experienced competition practitioners with expertise in the telecoms space, alongside IT and data regulatory specialist Jörg Hladjk. Yvan Desmedt is also a key name, combining regulatory and antitrust expertise.
Bernard Amory; Alexandre Verheyden; Jörg Hladjk
Other key lawyers:
Laurent De Muyter; Yvan Desmedt; Tristan Verminck; Laura Tielemans; Lucie Fournier
‘Jones Day’s EU team is highly integrated and bring great experience and expertise across key European countries.’
‘Jorg Hladjk provides useful and pragmatic advice to clients. Jorg has excellent knowledge of data protection law, yet understands emerging technologies. He is able to advise clients by giving them advice that is beyond the theoretical that clients understand.’
‘Jörg Hladjk is a stand-out data protection practitioner covering an extremely wide range of data protection topics, including coordination of multi-country analysis and negotiations with authorities.’
bpost (Belgian State-owned postal operator)
ComReg (Irish Commission for Communications Regulation)
Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile
PIMCO (Pacific Investment Management Company LLC)
Telenet / Liberty Global
Experian Information Systems
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Linklaters advises clients on the regulatory aspects of IT projects, with a strong focus on the financial services, telecoms, pharma, and energy sectors in particular. Work includes outsourcing, IT procurement, and cloud projects, often including complex regulatory issues such as infrastructure-as-a-service contracts. The team is led by TMT sector regulatory specialist Tanguy Van Overstraeten, who has a strong record in large-scale IT procurements, supported by Guillaume Couneson, who is a key name for assistance with electronic communications, telecoms, and transitional services agreements.
Tanguy Van Overstraeten
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume Couneson; Claudia Allatta; Valérie Heremans
‘Excellent knowledge and expertise of the domain; great availability; respect of deadlines; excellent quality of work; expensive but good price/quality.’
‘Tanguy Van Overstraeten is very experienced in his domain; great availability; excellent quality of work; pro-active approach’
‘Enormous wealth of experience and industry knowledge coupled with superior brain power. A thorough understanding of the sector I work in. Real team work when advising on a case or contract. Patience when it comes to dealing with lack of knowledge on our side. An excellent eye for detail and a total commitment to reach the best possible decision / outcome for their clients.’
‘They never give up. Totally committed to reaching the best possible deal for their client. Always prepared to work under pressure. They never miss a deadline. They explain difficult items in understandable layman’s terms. They never seem to get stressed.’
CLT-UFA (RTL Group)
Degroof Petercam Asset Management
Eneco Belgium (Mitsubishi Group)
- Assisted Agfa-Gevaert with the outsourcing of their IT (ICS) department globally towards a third party supplier.
- Advised Proximus (the largest of Belgium’s three telecommunications companies) on the development and operation of a new web-based and mobile device application for medical teleconsultation in Belgium.
- Assisting Degroof Petercam Asset Management (“DPAM”) in relation to the development of an innovative tech-driven investment product which DPAM intends to provide to several players in the Benelux market and beyond as well as a related intuitive online investment simulation tool.
Lydian advises high-profile Belgian businesses, SMEs, and subsidiaries of global companies on the regulatory aspects of complex IT projects, including outsourcing and software development, as well as innovative matters in fields such as e-commerce, artificial intelligence, and electronic communications. The firm works with clients in retail, financial services, technology, and telecoms, among others, and has expertise in EU and domestic Belgian regulatory issues. Bastiaan Bruyndonckx, an expert in tech, IT, and data regulatory work, heads up the team.
‘For me the strength of Lydian is the knowledge of the company about IT technology, IT governance and IT regulations. Besides IT – I also appreciate their knowledge around privacy and GDPR.’
‘Bastiaan Bruyndonckx is our partner for all topics concerning IT Infrastructure and GDPR. His technical knowledge and creativity has helped us a lot in the past to construct agreements between different parties in a complex environment, where we have to deliver shared service to unaffiliated companies.’
House of HR
E.ON Power Plants Belgium BV
- Advised McDonald’s Belgium on a range of IT projects, including a project with Meta for implementation of Workplace, a project with ATOS for IT support for all McDonald’s restaurants in Belgium and a project with Cosmos 21 on the implementation of a new digital food safety platform.
- Advised DKV and ERGO in Belgium on the review of a cloud outsourcing agreement with Microsoft (Azure) in the light of prudential outsourcing legislation and regulations applicable to (re)insurers.
- Advised Amazon Web Services (AWS) on the Belgian legal aspects of an agreement with financial technology provider SWIFT, headquartered in Belgium.
Led by specialist IT regulatory practitioner Erik Valgaeren, Stibbe advises major names in telecoms, electronic communications, tech, and software on the full range of regulatory considerations, including issues relating to cloud services, digitalisation and digital transformation projects, outsourcing and software procurement, and data governance. The team works with clients on compliance with existing regulations, as well as strategic advice on legislative developments, notably working with a number of public sector bodies, an area where administrative law expert David D’Hooghe provides a key contribution.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent cooperation, in-depth knowledge.’
‘They are very flexible, always available.’
- Advising Crelan and AXA Bank (which Crelan acquired at the end of 2021) on the drafting and negotiation of several IT-contracts related to the use of the central banking software.
- Advising Proximus on a strategic outsourcing of its data center activities.
- Assisted Isabel Group by drafting written submissions with respect to a legislative proposal seeking to introduce a mandatory “IBAN name check” in Belgium to combat financial internet- and cyber-fraud.
Baker McKenzie CVBA/SCRL
Baker McKenzie CVBA/SCRL advises a diverse range of corporate clients on commercial and outsourcing agreements pertaining to IT services, as well as telecoms, e-commerce, and digitalisation projects. Practice head Elisabeth Dehareng has notable expertise in the healthcare, financial services, transport and defence sectors, and combines her well-established data and privacy work with advice on cloud computing contracts and AI issues.
Osborne Clarke advises clients in the financial services, life sciences, and tech sectors, handling regulatory aspects of digital transformation projects, software licensing, outsourcing, and cloud computing agreements, also offering expertise in emerging issues relating to fintech, blockchain, and AI. Practice head Benjamin Docquir has broad EU regulatory expertise, handling intellectual property, IT, and data privacy issues for global clients, regularly collaborating with the firm’s global offices.
- Assisted a major Belgian insurance company in its IT transformation project with the drafting and negotiation of a critical IT outsourcing agreement.
- Advised the Belgian Government on the preparation of the bill implementing the Network and Information Systems (NIS) Directive.
- Assisted Sentia on a variety of IT-contracting issues in the negotiations with its clients.