EU regulatory: information technology in Belgium
Allen & Overy LLP
At Allen & Overy LLP, the team's workload includes cross-border outsourcing, IT service agreements, fintech and cybersecurity matters. Practice head Filip Van Elsen is a highly regarded practitioner in the field. Peter Van Dyck and senior counsel Geert Glas are key contacts.
Bank of Cyprus
- Assisting Borealis with the preparation and negotiations for a second IT outsourcing agreement with a number of suppliers; the team also successfully assisted the client with the preparations for its first IT outsourcing agreement.
- Advising financial messaging services provider SWIFT on a software development agreement with EBA Clearing.
- Assisted Mobily with the negotiations for setting up an outsourcing agreement with Ericsson.
DLA Piper's practice garners praise for its 'exceptional professionalism', 'great technical skills' and 'excellent understanding of the business'. Practice head Kristof De Vulder is 'an exceptional professional on all levels. His communications skills, engagement, experience and deep knowledge of the IT sector is impressive'. Patrick Van Eecke left for Cooley LLP in September 2020.
‘The team shows a very good combination of in depth knowledge of the business context and drivers of the client/customer and best practices in IT law‘.
- Assisted digital signatures company Connective with compliance issues concerning the use of electronic signatures.
- Advising a prominent government entity on the use of electronic signatures as part of an e-procurement project.
- Advised video game developer Square Enix on permissibility under Belgian law of game mechanics relating to generating of in-game currency and the offering of loot boxes.
time.lex's 'responsive' team has 'great knowledge of the EU regulatory framework regarding information technology' and provides 'always hands on, understandable and usable' advice. Cybersecurity matters have been prominent in the group's workload over the past year. Hans Graux and Geert Somers are 'impressively tech-savvy' and 'solution focused'; Frederic Debusseré, Jos Dumortier, Ruben Roex and Edwin Jacobs are also key practitioners.
‘Timelex combines a strong academic background with hands on experts. The avant-garde in IT law!‘
‘Timelex has a great team of professionals with boutique expertise in areas where technologies and law merge‘.
‘Jos Dumortier – his erudition in the infinite area of IT law has no limits. He is not just an experienced lawyer but a visionary and successful team leader.’
European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA)
European Telecommunications Network Operators’ Association (ETNO)
- Advising the European Commission and the European Cloud Service Provider Certification Working Group on the regulatory aspects of establishing a cloud security certification scheme under the Cybersecurity Act.
- Provides ongoing advice to the European Commission on compliance with the EU electronic communications law in the Western Balkans and Turkey.
- Assisting a consortium led by the German Aerospace Center with developing an integrated solution for first responders to operate a fleet of drones with multiple synchronized missions.
The European Commission
- Assisted the European Commission with reviewing and updating the General Terms and Conditions for Information Technology Contracts (the GTC) used by EU institutions in their IT procurements.
- Advises Network Research Belgium on strategic and compliance issues regarding public tenders.
Jones Day has been kept busy with instructions concerning cybersecurity, licensing issues, and broadband regulatory matters, among other areas. Alexandre Verheyden, Bernard Amory and Jörg Hladjk are names to note.
- Assisting Vodafone with all aspects of adopting and implementing the European Electronic Communications Code.