The team at Mayer Brown is particularly knowledgeable in international trade and investment law policy, including trade defence matters and WTO disputes. The practice is experienced in litigating trade remedy and customs disputes, frequently representing clients before the EU courts. The department works across a diversity of sectors, including IT and telecoms as well as financial services. The group is headed by Paulette Vander Schueren, who is regularly engaged in supply chain and distribution, US-China Trade Developments work and enterprise risk and crisis management, and Nikolay Mizulin who has expertise in international and EU trade law.
Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping in Belgium
Paulette Vander Schueren; Nikolay Mizulin
‘The team has excellent knowledge of trade law, sanctions and export controls.’
‘Commercially orientated and practical.’
European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA)
LG Chem, Ltd
Moldova Steel Works
Xiamen Xiashun Aluminium Foil Co. Ltd and its parent Daching Enterprises Ltd. (“Xiamen Xiashun”)
V V G B Advocaten-Avocats
The team at V V G B Advocaten-Avocats is particularly well-versed in WTO litigation, and often advises clients on EU customs law, valuation, customs classification and rules of origin. The department represents clients active in an array of sectors including telecoms, tobacco, automobiles, aviation, chemicals, food processing and information technology. The team is co-led by Edwin Vermulst, whose expertise lies in anti-dumping, subsidies and safeguards, and Folkert Graafsma, an international trade and WTO law specialist who is a key name for anti-dumping and anti-subsidy matters. Another notable name is Juhi Dion Sud; she has represented clients in multiple EU trade defence proceedings, as well as custom matters at the World Customs Organisations level. Joris Cornelis has extensive expertise in international trade law.
Edwin Vermulst; Folkert Graafsma
Other key lawyers:
Juhi Dion Sud; Joris Cornelis
‘VVGB has an outstanding team of lawyers who possess sound knowledge and capabilities in providing efficient legal services on Customs, trade, WTO and trade remedies. Edwin Vermulst has a good reputation in the market for his substantial experience and knowledge and is recognised as one of the top trade lawyers in the world.’
‘I have worked together with Edwin, Folker, Juhi and Joris. Apart from the experience and knowledge they have in this field of law, each of them is highly motivated, devoted to the clients, inclusive and most importantly listen.’
‘VVGB and Joris Cornelis puts forward a custom tailored approach for their client which I think is the most important aspect of this service. They are dedicated to the job and ready on time.’
‘Joris Cornelis is very talented and experienced in anti-dumping cases. His background brings valuable perspectives to the study and his advocacy proves to be sound and trustworthy.’
‘I consider VVGB the top trade firm in Europe, and it is always my first choice to recommend to clients, who have reported excellent treatment and results.’
‘I have worked closely with Edwin Vermulst since the 1980s and marvel at his ability to understand and explain concisely the most complex and novel trade issues, and his attention to detail and to client needs. I have also worked with Juhi Sud and Folkert Graafsma, who work at the same high level as Edwin.’
The Vitra Group
The Hyundai Steel and Hyundai Motor Groups
TatMetal and Borcelik
The Electrosteel Group
Tsingshan Indonesia Group
EUSMET – Evonik Industries AG and Wacker Chemie AG
The Erdemir Group and the Colakoglu Group
The WACKER Group
Permata Hijau Group
The World Federation of Sporting Goods Industry (“WFSGI”)
Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais S.A (Usiminas )
- Represented The Vitra Group, the largest tile manufacture in Turkey, in an EU investigation concerning imports of ceramic tiles from Turkey.
- Represented the Hyundai Steel and Hyundai Motor groups in the extension and interim reviews concerning the EU’s steel safeguard measure and the EU’s proposal concerning the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism. Also advising the Hyundai Steel and Hyundai Motor groups on the legality of the proposal and assisting the client with strategic planning and lobbying.
- Represented the WACKER Group, one of largest EU/Global chemical companies in the following trade matters: a suspension investigation concerning the EU anti-dumping measure on polyvinyl alcohol from China, an anti-dumping investigation concerning silicone sealants from China and the EU’s anti-dumping investigation concerning graphite.
Van Bael & Bellis
Van Bael & Bellis is home to a substantial team, with particularly thorough knowledge of WTO disputes; the group routinely appears before the EU courts challenging trade defence measures. The practice is headed by Philippe De Baere , who is experienced in handling significant EU anti-circumvention and anti-subsidy matters and has recently been active advising on the Brexit-related repercussions of existing agreements. Jean-François Bellis has in-depth experience of competition and trade law while Fabrizio Di Gianni is a key name for safeguard investigations. Richard Luff is also often engaged in anti-dumping cases.
Philippe De Baere
Other key lawyers:
Jean-François Bellis; Fabrizio Di Gianni
‘Put simply, they are the best in this field. They are authoritative, while humble in their approach, they are clear, concise and quick.’
‘They have a fantastic ability to see and plan for what is way ahead.’
‘We have been collaborating with VBB on anti-dumping issues for the past 7 years. VBB has unrivaled know-how and knowledge in the EU anti-dumping field, and has a sober logic to respond to it. All team members work diligently regardless of time and provide active legal advice to help clients develop logic as they wish.’
‘Passion and commitment. They have explored all options available to support the case with an outstanding level of communication with the members of the industry association.’
‘Passion, commitment and determination trying to achieve the desired targets’
‘The team has been nothing short of exceptional during our work together. Their approach was methodical and they were straight-forward with their opinions but at the same time respected ours, and best of all, they were able to get us a great result at the end of the trial.’
‘Very client focused and thorough in delivering legal explanations, they are hugely experienced in trade matters which is very relevant in today’s trading environment.’
Canon Europa NV
Giant Electric Vehicle
Giant Hungary Manufacturing Co.
Government of China (MOFCOM)
Government of Indonesia
Government of Italy
Government of Japan (METI)
LM Wind Power
Lotte Chemical Louisiana
TDK Foil Italy S.p.A.
Trasteel International S.A.
The Dow Chemical Company
- Advised the Government of Indonesia in a WTO dispute settlement proceeding concerning certain measures imposed by the EU and its Member States in the framework of its renewable energy directives.
- Represented the EU industry in the first major anti-dumping and anti-subsidy proceedings initiated by the EU Commission against imports of high-tech products in the telecoms industry.
- Represented TDK Foil Italy S.p.A, an Italian importer of aluminium flat-rolled products originating from the People’s Republic of China before the General Court against the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU).
The team at Dentons has expertise in a broad array of matters, including TDI measures, regional trade agreements, trade disputes and market access, also demonstrating proficiency in investment and competition issues. The department is known for its knowledge across a diversity of sectors such as chemicals, transport, energy, infrastructure, mining and metals. The group also has distinctive knowledge in EU sanctions compliance and defending clients unduly affected by sanctions. The practice is headed by Edward Borovikov, who is experienced in cross-border commercial regulations, global trade and investment, and international trade policy issues. Xiaoyi Tang acts for multinational clients on cross-border mergers and acquisitions with particular expertise in international trade remedy laws and WTO Agreements. A further name to note is Maria Krestiyanova, who assists clients throughout trade defence investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Xiaoyi Tang; Maria Krestiyanova
‘With the expertise of Dentons Europe LLP, we have gained a profound understanding of European trade laws and practices.’
‘The Dentons team responded quickly and with much detail, this made collaborating with them efficient.’
‘Xiaoyi and Maria have been our trusted contact points, they are very user friendly and have outstanding subject matter knowledge.’
‘Edward Borovikov has outstanding experience, and is always looking for best solutions. He’s always ready to reach out to colleagues in different offices and for partner firms to find solutions of the client in different jurisdictions.’
‘Dentons Europe’s Customs, Trade, WTO and AD Practice, is well known and highly regarded.’
‘Xiaoyi Tang stands out. He is also well-versed in WTO and antidumping practices in general.’
‘The team at Dentons Europe LLP has comprehensive legal and practical knowledge on the topics of trade remedy investigations and international trade matters. The team also has an extensive network allowing them to have exceptional collaboration with firms globally.’
‘Xiaoyi Tang is an exceptional partner with in-depth knowledge on the topic of anti-dumping investigations and other WTO matters. He is incredibly insightful about the client’s industry and business. With exceptional collaboration from Xiaoyi Tang, we have consistently achieved desirable outcomes for the clients.’
The NLMK Group
The Segezha Group
Qua Granite Hayal Yapi ve Urunleri Sanayi Ticaret A.S.
Ministry of Commerce of China (MOFCOM)
China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products (“CCCME”)
China Iron and Steel Association (CISA)
- Represented Bibus Metal’s Romanian subsidiary, S.C. Bibus S.R.L, in a customs dispute before the Court Appeal of Ploiesti, Romania.
- Represented Qua Granite Hayal Yapi ve Urunleri Sanayi Ticaret A.S., the largest Turkish producer of ceramic tiles, in the EU anti-dumping proceeding concerning imports of ceramic tiles originating in Turkey.
- Represented the Segezha Group, a large international producer of birch plywood, in EU anti-dumping proceeding concerning imports of birch plywood originating in Russia and before the European Courts.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I
The team at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I supports clients with WTO applications alongside lodging complaints regarding unfair practices such as poor enforcement of EU regulation, dumping and subsidised imports. The practice also supports EU businesses with the development of WTO and trade law activities. The practice is jointly headed by Olivier Prost , who has expertise in trade defences, alongside Anna Claudia Coelho Dias who is routinely engaged in customs and export control. A further standout name is Clément Bouvarel, who specialises in international regulatory issues, customs, and WTO law.
Olivier Prost; Anna Claudia Coelho Dias
Other key lawyers:
‘Olivier Prost is brilliant at developing novel trade law approaches in complex cases and delivers outstanding results. He is supported by the highly competent Clément Bouvarel (trade law). This team stands out for its creativity and ability to interact closely with demanding clients.’
‘ A very competent team, which is extremely committed and hence successful.’
‘The lawyers from Gide I have worked with have been extremely competent, persistent and in additional personable.’
Coalition against Unfair Trade in Fatty Acid (CUTFA)
Saint Gobain PAM, Saint Gobain PAM Deutschland, Saint Gobain PAM Espana
ArcelorMittal Flat carbon Europe
GrafTech France SNC, GrafTech Iberica SL
Showa Denko Europe GmbH
Tokai Erft Carbon GmbH
ECGA (European Carbon and Graphite Association)
Eurofer (European Steel producers Association)
Tata Steel Ijmuiden BV
Thyssenkrupp Steel Europe AG
US Steel Košice, s.r.o
Cosun Beet Company
CEFS (Confederation européenne des producteurs de sucre)
- Assisted ArcelorMittal European mills in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Turkish trade authorities on import of hot rolled flat steel products from the EU.
- Represented the Moroccan Government in an anti-subsidy investigation on phosphate fertilizer, ensuring that duties imposed on OCP were significantly lower than those imposed on Russian exporters.
- Advised Saint Gobain PAM in multiple EU trade defence proceedings to ensure a level playing field against unfair imports from Asia.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
The team at Hogan Lovells International LLP is thoroughly experienced in appearing before the General Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union in a range of matters; examples include international trade law, trade defence, international trade negotiations, economic sanctions and export control. The department, headed by Lourdes Catrain, also has strong knowledge of trade compliance. Catrain’s insight is regularly sought after by clients to assist with the trade implications of Brexit. She is likewise knowledgeable in a diversity of international and EU trade law matters such as foreign direct investment control, customs classification and valuation and general trade compliance procedures.
IB Vogt GmbH
Columbus Steel PT
- Supported Pfizer in a number of multi-jurisdictional trade issues including economic sanctions, export controls, customs, and trade policy issues globally, in relation to the distribution and shipment of the mRNA-based Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine.
- Assessed the applicability of U.S., EU, UK, UN, Singapore, and Australian economic sanctions and export controls to the HKSE’s business as necessary to respond to Hong Kong regulators’ questions and prospectus comments regarding these laws.
Bird & Bird
Bird & Bird has expertise in EU customs compliance, including economic sanctions and export control matters where it acts for international clients. The group is active for clients in a diversity of sectors including the energy and chemical industries. Hein Hobbelen acts for clients in anti-subsidy and EU anti-dumping proceedings, and is particularly active in EU trade defence matters. Brian Mulier supports companies and businesses with his understanding of WTO rules and the resulting implications.
Hein Hobbelen; Brian Mulier
Other key lawyers:
‘Hein Hobbelen is a highly reputed long-standing EU competition and trade lawyer in Brussels. He is extremely well connected and you always get pragmatic advice that is valuable for the business.‘
‘Baptist Vleeshouwers is very knowledgeable and nice and easy to deal with.’
European Thermal Paper Association (ETPA)
Papierfabrik August Koehler SE
- Supported the European Thermal Paper Association (ETPA) as counsel in an anti-dumping expiry review investigation before the General Court.
- Represented Finnish multinational industrial company Ahlstrom-Munksjö in the context of the Commission’s suspension review concerning anti-dumping duties on imports of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) originating in China.
- Advised software company Elastic about compliance with export control classification and related licensing obligations with regard to encryption-based source code being exchanged in several EU countries.
Other key lawyers:
- Representing the EU tungsten carbide industry in the EU anti-dumping expiry review investigation concerning imports from China.
- Representing the EU coated fine paper industry in the EU anti-dumping and anti-subsidy expiry review investigations concerning imports from China.
- Advising various industries in export control, sanctions and trade related market access questions.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The team at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has an in-depth knowledge of ICSID arbitrations, routinely acting for investors as well as government bodies in investment treaty arbitrations. The department, headed by Lode Van Den Hende, is frequently engaged in advising companies on the impact of Brexit on EU trade agreements. Lode, who is particularly proficient in EU and international trade law, has frequently appeared before the EU courts in proceedings regarding the implications of the EU’s international obligations. Eric White, a seasoned international trade lawyer is engaged in the EU’s rules governing trade with non-EU countries and Morris Schonberg is a specialist in international subsidy control.
Lode Van Den Hende
Other key lawyers:
Eric White; Morris Schonberg
‘The competition team at HSF Brussels office delivers outstanding performance in complex EU law issues. They provide well-structured and practical advice with the focus on the client’s objectives.’
‘Eric White is one of the most experienced European jurists. He leverages his deep understanding of the EU founding principles and precedents of their application and regulations to develop winning strategies.’
‘Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has a dedicated team of legal professionals. They have a wide network of experienced associates that the lead team consulted on various aspects of the case as they arose.’
The Southern African Customs Union
British American Tobacco
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne
- Represented the Southern African Customs Union (SACU) in a bilateral dispute with the EU in an agreement concerning a SACU safeguard measure on certain EU poultry imports.
- Represented British Sugar in its challenge in the English Courts of the UK’s autonomous tariff rate quota for raw cane sugar on the basis that it amounts to a subsidy to its competitor, Tate & Lyle.
- Advised a number of multinational companies from several sectors on how recent imposed international sanctions impact their organisation and business dealings with Russia and Ukraine.
K&L Gates GP
The team at K&L Gates GP is able to draw on the wider firm's presence in the EU, US and China to assist clients with the spectrum of trading matters. The practice is overseen by Philip Torbøl, an experienced practitioner who advises on the full array of international trade law, including duties and duty suspension, customs and export control laws, investigations, sanctions, market access barriers and regulatory hindrance. Alessandro Di Mario is well versed in market access issues and provides the team with his insight on UN and EU sanctions and restrictive measures, EU regulatory law and competition law.
Other key lawyers:
Alessandro Di Mario
TABC (Trans-Atlantic Business Council)
Amadeus IT Group
FMI (Freeport-McMoRan Inc.)
EMM (Eastern Mediterranean Maritime Ltd)
- Assisted with the identification of obligations to notify the 3.2Billion USD acquisition of the Electronic Security Solutions business from Stanley Black & Decker Inc in several jurisdictions. Assisted with FDI notifications in France, UK, Finland, and Canada.
- Provided policy representation in the context of an anti-dumping procedure; in particular, assistance and representation vis-à-vis the European Commission and the national authorities involved in the decision making process of the case.
- Assisted with the removal of a duty suspension for imports into the EU on products currently produced by FMI in the EU.
King & Spalding LLP
King & Spalding LLP is particularly active in the WTO area, routinely representing clients in litigation matters pertaining to technical barriers to trade and market access. In addition, the department has a thorough knowledge of the application of international rules on digital trade and electronic commerce under the GATS and other trade agreements. Marie-Sophie Dibling heads the practice, often appearing before EU commissions; she has considerable experience acting for international governments and companies on investment, tariff and non-tariff, environmental and export control barriers.
‘The team has the capability to quickly understand the reality of the situation, this makes the data gathering process very efficient.’
‘Marie Sophie Dibling has legal capacity as well as accounting and marketing proficiency to provide sustainable advice.’
CIRFS – European Man-made Fibres Association
The European Superabsorbent Polymer Coalition
Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd and Nippon Shokubai Europe
Verbio Diesel Canada
European Biodiesel Board (EBB)
Moroccan Textile Industry Association (Association Marocaine des Industries du Textile et de l’Habillement – AMITH)
Confederation of European Paper Industry (CEPI)
- Represented CIRFS in lodging and initiated three separate anti-dumping proceedings (an expiry review, a partial interim review limited in scope to dumping and a ‘beef & rice’ complaint) before the European Commission.
- Represented the European Superabsorbent Polymer Coalition in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the European Commission on imports of SAP from South Korea, following a complaint lodged by the Coalition.
- Represented Euroalliages, the Association of European ferro-Alloy producers, in an expiry review investigation on imports of silicon metal from China.
The team at Reed Smith has particular strength in enforcement work and is well equipped to assist clients with cross-border mandates, including export controls and sanction matters. The department is headed by Yves Melin, a standout practitioner with over 20 years of experience in the trade sector; he has appeared before the EU court on several occasions, frequently engaging in WTO dispute settlements, trade remedy and customs investigations. Leigh Hansson, alongside Mike Lowell, co-head the practice’s international trade and national security team.
Yves Melin; Leigh Hansson; Mike Lowell
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
The team at Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP is thoroughly experienced in trade defence investigations. Renato Antonini is thoroughly knowledgeable in global trade legal and regulatory issues; he is a key name for clients in sectors including chemicals, manufacturing and steel. Eva Monard has extensive knowledge of anti-dumping, anti-subsidy, and safeguard investigations and routinely conducts due diligence on transactions to ensure clients adhere to EU trade control obligations.
Renato Antonini; Eva Monard
‘Renato and Eva fully understand the concerns and needs of clients and navigates them out in the unfamiliar legal system. They are persistent and work very hard.’
‘Eva Monard is not only an expert in her field, she also always understands the needs and constraints of businesses.’
‘The team has been extremely supportive since the very beginning of the Ukraine-Russia conflict and helped the company to navigate this uncertainty.’
‘The professionals we worked with have great and extensive experience which permits them to be really responsive on a very wide range of issues, with an open perspective that catches all the criticality and potential red flags.’
Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China (MOFCOM)
China Chamber of Commerce for Imports & Exports of Machinery & Electronics (CCCME)
Jiangsu Zhongji Lamination Materials
Jiangsu Zhongtian Technology
Wego Chemical Group
European Fastener Distributor Association
Shanghai JA Solar PV Technology
- Provided assistance in the WTO panel proceedings regarding China’s anti-dumping measures on stainless steel products from Japan
- Represented a client in anti-dumping and other trade defence proceedings initiated by the European Commission, as well as in relation to sanctions, trade controls and customs issues.
- Represented China’s Chamber of Commerce for Imports & Exports of Machinery & Electronics in anti-dumping investigations. This was before the Court of Justice of the European Union against anti-dumping measures on imports of castings and fasteners from China.
White & Case LLP
White & Case LLP is home to several experienced litigators with proficiency in handling a spectrum of trade and customs cases. Genevra Forwood and Sara Nordin have been kept busy leading on matters relating to EU and UK sanctions, as well as a diversity of investigations including due diligence in transactions, advisory, contractual disputes and compliance programmes. Highly reputed partner James Killick leads the practice’s European trade remedies team from Brussels and recently led a successful high-profile EU anti-dumping case against Turkey. Jasper Wauters leads the department's WTO practice which often acts for governments in prosecuting or defending WTO cases.
James Killick; Jasper Wauters; Genevra Forwood; Sara Nordin
‘I have worked closely with the White & Case customs and trade team for nearly two years, the services were quite unique, practical, and efficient.’
‘What make White & Case attorneys unique is their ability to understand the impact of their advice on a company supply chain operation.’
‘The White & Case trade attorneys are always focused on providing honest, accurate, and practical advice. Their concern is always to ensure that solutions that are put in place are sustainable and will ensure that operations will run smoothly.’
‘The White & Case trade team is diverse, multilingual (a must in the EU), experienced, and can explain complex legal matters concisely and in an easy-to-understand manner.’
‘White & Case LLP Trade Law team was able to provide complex analysis of Trade related issues followed with a clear resolution path.’
‘The team is hands-on when it comes to understanding the peculiarities of their clients and specific needs. The level of collaboration is refreshing for fast-paced markets.’
‘Great global presence and vast expertise.’
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
- Represented Eurofer, in a recently concluded anti-dumping case against imports of certain hot-rolled flat products of iron, non-alloy or other alloy steel originating in Turkey.
- Advised a multi-jurisdictional group of banks in relation to the high-profile £4.25 billion acquisition of Chelsea Football Club by a consortium led by US investor Todd Boehly.
- Represented the Moroccan agricultural and fisheries sectors in the high-profile ‘Western Sahara’ litigation cases before the EU Courts concerning the EU’s ability to conclude trade and fisheries agreements with Morocco that apply to the contested territory of Western Sahara.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
The team at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton is well equipped to handle a diversity of trade matters including foreign investment restrictions, sanctions, unfair trade practices, and import and export regulations. The department is headed by François-Charles Laprévote and Till Müller-Ibold; they are sought out by industrial clients to advise on the effect of sanction regimes on export transactions. Laprévote also handles trade cases before the European Commission and Ibold routinely advises on export control matters.
François-Charles Laprévote; Till Müller-Ibold
‘We work with Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP on a number of EU law and international trade matters. They are honestly one of the best law firms around in EU and trade law as they constantly look for the best solutions, taking all aspects of a case into account.’
‘The team is always collaborative, patient and professional which makes them a pleasure to work with. The firm is reliable and always on hand for any questions and advice, and I can honestly recommend them as their work is top-notch.’
‘Till Mueller-Ibold is an absolute genius at international trade-related matters. His extraordinary work is comparable only to a few people in the field and their tremendous experience makes them an excellent ally.’
PT Chin Haur
Republic of Serbia
- Represented the EU’s sole producer of monosodium glutamate (“MSG”), Ajinomoto Foods Europe (“AFE”), in in its request to the European Commission to extend and amplify MSG trade defense measures.
Crowell & Moring
The team at Crowell & Moring handles the full spectrum of international trade matters, including trade policy and trade defence proceedings, among other mandates. The department also assists with export controls and economic sanctions as well as market access-related issues under WTO rulings. Practice head Vassilis Akritidis assists clients with utilising trade benefits and complying with global trading as well as with EU laws.
‘Focused on providing quick, digestible and operational guidance.’
‘I want to recognize Vassilis Akritidis for his outstanding support at a moment of acute client-facing crisis, in the midst of the Russia sanctions related frenzy. He immediately answered our desperate call for help, relayed by his US colleagues, and jumped into the matter, providing expert guidance that enabled us to resolve the crisis.’
Amari Metals Ltd and Yorkshire Metals Ltd
- Advised Maxim Tubes in a complex multi-jurisdictional customs origin case before the European Commission’s anti-fraud office (OLAF) and the customs authorities of 17 Member States.
- Represented Amari Metals Ltd and Yorkshire Metals Ltd before the UK HMRC Tribunal to oppose the imposition by the HMRC of anti-dumping duties for several million British pounds on imports of seamless stainless-steel precision tubes from India.
- Represented Viraj Profiles Pvt. Ltd, in the European Commission investigation for the review of safeguard measures imposed on imports of steel products in the EU.
The team at Garrigues has significant expertise in the steel, aluminium and agri-foods sectors, assisting with an array of trade defence issues, including safeguards, anti-dumping and anti-subsidy. Practice head Ángel Givaja stands out for his proficiency in the trading sector with a significant knowledge of the EU internal market, sanctions regimes and dispute resolution. Sam Villiers has expertise in steel safeguards, and regularly advises clients on EU trade-related issues concerning medicinal products.
Other key lawyers:
‘Garrigues team has the best knowledge about legal issues and they are hard workers. The main strength is their capacity to work and to collaborate strongly with the company to obtain the best results.’
‘Angel Givaja is an excellent lawyer.’
‘They have very broad knowledge and representation in many countries.’
Spanish Association of ripe olive exporters (ASEMESA)
CELO Suzhou Precision Fasteners
Affordable Medicines Europe
Spanish National Federation of Associations of Processed Fruit and Vegetables (FENAVAL)
- Represented STAC in the European Commission’s anti-dumping investigation in relation to imports of aluminum flat-rolled products originating in China.
- Represented ASEMESA, the Spanish Association of ripe olive exporters, in the ongoing high-profile US ITC anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigation into imports of ripe olives from Spain.
- Represented CELO Suzhou Precision Fasteners in the European Commission’s anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of steel fasteners originating in China.
The team at Jones Day is well equipped to handle contentious trading mandates, with its recent caseload including TBT agreements, EU trade deals and WTO obligations; the group also has experience appearing before the Court of Justice of the European Union. The department has seen an increase in instructions to assist with trade concerns in light of a rise in tensions globally. Practice head Nadiya Nychay joined the practice in June 2022 from Dentons ; she is an experienced practitioner and routinely advises clients on customs, compliance and international trade matters.
‘I have worked with them for many years and they are extremely responsive, they are 100% clear in their advice and very reliable. In addition, it is extremely easy to team up with them as they are very pleasant to work with.’
‘Nadiya Nychay is extremely impressive. We have been working closely together on many different matters and she continues to be my first telephone call for matters of customs, trade, sanctions and WTO matters. Nadiya is extremely pleasant to work with and heads a team of formidable lawyers.’
‘Nadiya routinely provided practical and actionable advice that often exceeded the specific question asked but provided valuable insight on ancillary or bigger-picture aspects.’
‘Nadiya Nychay is always available and is solution oriented and efficient.’
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP
The trade team at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP routinely assists international clients with export and import issues and is often engaged in obtaining licenses and clearances from government authorities. Curtis Dombek heads the department and is an experienced practitioner who has handled large multinational trade regulatory mandates concerning the Middle East, Asia and Europe. Scott Maberry co-heads the group, and often acts for multinational clients in export controls disputes and Reid Whitten frequently advises clients on US anti-boycott, anti-dumping and anti-money laundering regulations.
Curtis Dombek; Scott Maberry; Reid Whitten
‘The team is very professional and they understand the client’s consideration, very thoughtful.’
‘Reid has enormous knowledge and rich experience in practicing law. He has a capability to understand clients’ needs and provide his advice and service efficiently, whenever we need him, he will always help.’
‘The team knows the intricacies of export control regulations and are very responsive.’
Rockley Photonics (UK)
Toyota Motor Corporation (Japan & worldwide)
Southwest Airlines (US, North, South and Central America & the Caribbean)
- Represented Kitron ASA in the reorganisation and integration of the operations of its new subsidiary, (formerly API Defese USA Inc.) with those of Kitron’s other group companies, including securing the appropriate U.S. government clearances for the reorganisations.
- Supported Rockley’s General Counsel and VP for Strategic Relations in navigating the demands of the scrutiny to which a public company’s trade compliance is subject.
- Supported Cyient in conducting a thorough audit of its export compliance policies and procedures.