Customs, trade, WTO and anti-dumping in Belgium
The team at Mayer Brown reports an uptick in sanctions and export control instructions, and is well regarded for its excellent capabilities in trade remedy matters, WTO disputes, and customs issues. Nikolay Mizulin, along with trade and customs expert Paulette Vander Schueren, are the key figures.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for Wilmar International in anti-dumping and anti-subsidy proceedings initiated by the European Commission into biodiesel imports from Indonesia.
- Representing Daido Steel in a safeguard investigation concerning steel imports.
- Represented Syngenta in the anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Eurasian Economic Union concerning imports of herbicides.
V V G B Advocaten-Avocats' 'focussed' team garners praise for its 'wide knowledge of trade law'. Edwin Vermulst is noted for his 'invaluable' experience in WTO matters, and, alongside Juhi Dion Sud, is advising Wacker on EU review investigations into Canadian and US anti-dumping investigations concerning silicon metal imports from China and Russia. Folkert Graafsma is 'very clever and pragmatic', with 'a rock solid background and long experience in anti-dumping and other international trade matters.' Joris Cornelis is 'hard-working and always provides valuable responses'.
Edwin Vermulst; Folkert Graafsma
‘Personal attention from a dedicated team that lives and breathes WTO law‘.
‘Folkert Graafsma – clever and thoughtful lawyer‘.
The World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry
Hyundai Motor Company
- Assists Huawei Technologies with worldwide customs and trade-related issues.
- Representing Hyundai Steel, Hyundai Motor Company and Kia Motors in an EU review of steel safeguard measures.
Philippe De Baere leads Van Bael & Bellis' team, which stands out for its 'practical approach'. In the international trade space, De Baere, Benoît Servais, Fabrizio Di Gianni, Yuriy Rudyuk and Richard Luff are advising 80 international companies from the steel industry in an ongoing safeguard investigation - the largest of its kind to be initiated by the European Commission - concerning US restrictions on steel and aluminium imports. The practice also has an excellent reputation for its strength in WTO disputes. Pablo Muñiz is also recommended.
Philippe De Baere
‘The practice given is extremely well tailored and it is effectively oriented to the specific issues required‘.
Government of Japan
Government of China
Government of Ukraine
- Acted for the Government of Ukraine in a WTO dispute concerning multiple restrictions imposed by Russia on traffic in transit from Ukraine through the Russian Federation to third countries.
- Represented Chinese electric bicycles importer Giant Electric Vehicle in an EU anti-dumping investigation.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I's 'very precise' team is well versed in high-profile anti-dumping and safeguard investigations, and is equally adept at handling WTO issues and sanctions matters. Olivier Prost leads the team; counsel Anna Claudia Coelho Dias and associate Clément Bouvarel are names to note.
European Biodiesel Board
- Successfully represented BASF in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Eurasian Economic Commission concerning imports of herbicides from the EU.
- Acting for a prominent paper company in safeguard measures imposed by Morocco on imports of paper reams and reels.
At Hogan Lovells International LLP, Lourdes Catrain is the key contact in a practice which has expertise in international trade, sanctions, anti-dumping, exports, and customs matters. Associate Jorge Torres is well versed in EU trade defence work. In 2019, senior associate Jérémie Charles left to join the European Commission as a policy officer.
Other key lawyers:
Ministry of Commerce and Industries (Panama)
- Representing the Ministry of Commerce and Industries (Panama) in bilateral free trade agreements (FTAs) with China.
- Successfully acted for Wacker Chemie in EU anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations against imports of solar panels from China.
- Assisting Ronly with EU safeguard measures relating to imports of steel.
Anti-dumping and safeguard proceedings have been particularly prominent in Jones Day's recent workload, and the team is equally adept in, among other areas, trade defence, export controls and sanctions issues. Renato Antonini and senior associate Eva Monard are the key names.
Other key lawyers:
Cambodia Rice Federation
- Representing the Cambodia Rice Federation in a challenge to the European Commission’s decision to impose safeguards on imports of rice from Cambodia and the subsequent withdrawal of the EU’s Generalised Scheme of Preferences regime.
- Acting for JSW Steel in a safeguard investigation initiated by the European Commission as a response to US restrictions on steel and aluminium imports; this investigation is widely viewed as the largest of its kind.
- Provides ongoing advice to Ansaldo Energia concerning EU and global export control matters, most recently on dual-use goods and sanctions issues.
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Steptoe & Johnson LLP is very well known in the market for its strong capabilities in trade remedies work. Other recent instructions for the practice include anti-dumping investigations concerning imports of solar panels and a range of steel products; sanctions matters are also prominent in the team's workload. James Searles, Simon Hirsbrunner, Guy Soussan and senior associate Yongqing Bao are the key contacts.
James Searles; Guy Soussan
Seraphim Solar Panel
Turkish Steel Exporters’ Association
Liaoning Zizhu Group
- Representing Seraphim Solar Panel before the General Court in an ongoing challenge to the European Commission’s decision to retroactively collect anti-dumping and countervailing duties on past imports of solar panels and modules.
- Acting for Liaoning Zizhu Group in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the European Commission against imports of hot-rolled steel.
Dentons has traditional strength in trade remedies, trade sanctions and export controls work, and reports an increase in WTO matters. The team has been busy handling a range of anti-dumping investigations, predominantly concerning imports of steel. Global department head Edward Borovikov is the key name; Bogdan Evtimov and Xiaoyi Tang are also noted.
Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works (MMK)
- Successfully acted for Corning in an Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of single-mode optical fibre from the US and Japan; the case was terminated with no measures being implemented.
- Representing Novolipetsk Steel in a safeguard investigation concerning imports of steel products into Egypt.
Laurent Ruessmann heads the department at Fieldfisher, which has an excellent reputation for acting for EU producer clients in trade defence matters. Customs matters, WTO disputes, export controls and economic sanctions are other key areas of instruction. Jochen Beck is a name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Confederation of European Paper Industries
European Bicycle Manufacturers Association
- Successfully represented the Confederation of European Paper Industries in the Indian anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of coated paper and cardboard; the investigation was terminated without measures being imposed.
- Assisting a number of EU bicycle producers and the European Bicycle Manufacturers Association with anti-dumping issues concerning imports of conventional bicycles from China.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP's Lode Van Den Hende heads a practice which counts Brexit-related mandates, WTO disputes, sanctions matters, export control and customs issues as core strengths. Consultant Eric White and senior associate Jennifer Paterson are other key names.
Lode Van Den Hende
Nord Stream 2
- Advising Prosperity UK on the Alternative Arrangements Commission’s report and protocols on Alternative Arrangements for the Irish border concerning the Brexit withdrawal agreement.
- Representing United Carton Industries Company in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Gulf Cooperation Council concerning cardboard paper.
White & Case LLP is perhaps best known for representing clients from the steel industry in anti-dumping matters and global safeguards investigations. James Killick is the key contact for export controls and trade remedies matters; Jacquelyn MacLennan counts customs issues as a key area of expertise; and Genevra Forwood is highly experienced in handling sanctions cases. Counsel Richard King is a name to note.
James Killick; Jacquelyn MacLennan; Genevra Forwood
Other key lawyers:
- Successfully represented longstanding client Eurofer and a number of European producers in a global safeguards investigation initiated by the trade authorities in Turkey.
- Acting for Eurofer in a global safeguards investigation initiated by the European Commission concerning imports of 19 steel product groups, which are produced by member companies of the client.
- Representing Salzgitter, alongside a number of affiliated steel mills and resellers, in the ongoing US anti-dumping investigation into imports of cut-to-length plate from Germany.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
At Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, François-Charles Laprévote and senior counsel Till Müller-Ibold are representing bicycle producers PT Chin Haur and City Cycle before the General Court of the European Union concerning a circumvention regulation extending anti-dumping duties to bicycles originating in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Tunisia and Sri Lanka. Economic sanctions are another core area of expertise for the team.
Other key lawyers:
PT Chin Haur
The 'very experienced' Ángel Givaja Sanz is the name to note in Garrigues' practice, which has been acting for ASEMESA in an anti-dumping investigation initiated by the United States International Trade Commission (USITC) into imports of ripe olives from Spain. The team's workload also includes anti-dumping investigations within the steel sector.
Ángel Givaja Sanz
‘They have a very solid knowledge based on experience as well as formal knowledge of the law‘.
‘Ángel Givaja Sanz provides exceptional service. Highly responsible, intelligent and dedicated‘.
- Advises EAEPC on export control and trade barrier matters regarding intra-EU trading of medicinal products.
K&L Gates GP
K&L Gates GP is perhaps best known for its established capabilities in international trade matters, and counts sanctions matters and market access issues as core areas of instruction. Philip Torbøl leads the team.
Amadeus IT Group
Trans-Atlantic Business Council (TABC)
Nctm Studio Legale
Nctm Studio Legale's practice takes in anti-dumping matters, trade issues and WTO instructions. Practice head Bernard O’Connor has established expertise in this area; counsel Willem De Munck and associate Maxime Hommé are other names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Willem De Munck; Maxime Hommé
‘Willem De Munck, Bernard O’Connor and Maxime Hommé are all well-spoken, extremely empathic and impressively competent‘.
- Assisting AEGIS Europe with WTO matters and implementing EU trade defence instruments.