Intellectual property in Austria
DORDA Rechtsanwaelte GmbH benefits from a sizeable IP team, allowing the firm to offer a highly specialised service to clients. The firm is particularly known for its work in the IT sector and on behalf of renowned artists. It recently established the IP-focused, multi-disciplinary DORDA Digital Industries Group, with lawyers from across the firm's practice areas, in order to offer added value for clients. Practice head Axel Anderl 'always goes the extra mile'. The 'oustanding' Andreas Seling is another name to note.
‘Very experienced and motivated team with high quality lawyers who do the right things. A pleasure to work with because they are professional in trademark and unfair competition plus copyright matters.’
‘The extremely qualified lawyers of Axel Anderl’s team advise pragmatically, solution-oriented, but at the same time absolutely legally sound.’
‘Strong patent litigation practice; an excellent alternative to the traditional IP boutique firms.’
‘Extremely skilled. They know how to do their job and to consider the commercial background.‘
‘Dr. Axel Anderl, Dr. Andreas Seling and Bernhard Heinzl are outstanding in terms of quality and pace and are absolutely client oriented. Highly recommended!‘
‘Axel Anderl is my main point of contact. He is heading the team with unbelievable passion.’
Arcadia Live GmbH
B & C Consulting & Commerce GmbH
Brauerei S. Riegele
Delivery Hero Group
Erich Scheiblhofer GmbH
IXOLIT New Media Development GmbH 5 No
Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria)
KUNST HAUS WIEN GmbH
luna digital GmbH
M7 Group SA
MAD – Haus Marienberg
McDonald’s Franchise GmbH / McDonald’s Corporation
mood Einrichrungs- u. Planungs GmbH
Multigate handelsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Novartis Austria GmbH
ÖBB Holding AG (Austrian Federal Railway Company)
s IT Solutions AT Spardat GmbH
Stadt Wien Marketing GmbH
Styria Media Group
Thomas Zelenka Imker
TJX Oesterreich Ltd. & Co KG
Q Logistics GmbH
Vienna Insurance Group
Wein & Co HandelsgmbH
willhaben internet service GmbH & Co KG
- Assisted Kreisel in negotiations with Vinfast, part of VinGroup, in negotiations regarding a patent and know-how licensing agreement, as well as a development agreement.
- Represented myWorld Group in negotiations with Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso, as well as with Formula 1 and Eon (owner of the James Bond intellectual property rights).
- Represented Austria’s largest private auction platform in interim injunction proceedings against a competitor.
The IP practice at Gassauer-Fleissner focuses on patent and trade mark litigation on the contentious side and complex IT contracts on the non-contentious side. The firm is also active in the media sector, where it has a significant client base. The firm is led by 'standout practitioners' Christian Gassauer-Fleissner and Dominik Göbel and Manuel Wegrostek, who is 'dedicated to pursuing the best outcomes in a given situation'.
Christian Gassauer-Fleissner; Dominik Göbel; Manuel Wegrostek
‘They provide reliable, excellent and profound legal advice on trademark, patent and copyright law as well as on IT law matters and data protection.’
‘The firm has indepth knowledge and expertise in the field of copyright and unfair competition relating to enforcement.’
‘They have a very good range of partner level attorneys with a deep understanding of litigation in the pharmaceutical sector. They are extremely responsive.’
‘You always get the impression that you reach a competent counterpart.‘
‘Both Christian Gassauer-Fleissner and Dominik Göbel are standout practitioners, in terms of experience, strategic acumen and value for money.’
‘Dr. Dominik Göbel is a brilliant analyst of legal situations.‘
‘I work mainly with Manuel Wegrostek. I have been very impressed with his proactiveness and also that he is often willing to push back (politely and effectively) on matters where appropriate.’
TTTech Automotive AG
Vienna Marketing & Energy Contracting
“Ladoga” – Russian manufacture
Consorzio del Prosciutto di San Daniele
Debonair Trading Internacional Lda
New Stratos/Maniffattura Automobili Torino
Licon mt GmbH & Co. KG
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in multiple preliminary injunction proceedings against manufacturers of certain generic drugs.
GEISTWERT is unique for being the only Austrian IP boutique with a dedicated Italian desk. The firm covers the full range of IP matters and has developed its own applications to offer added value, including a plugin for MS word to detect and link to relevant trade mark registries and a web-based data protection, research and management tool. The team is co-led by the firm's five partners, each offering specialisation in different areas of IP law: the 'hands-on' Constantin Kletzer; 'legal rockstars' Max Mosing and Juliane Messner; 'expert in the legal area of digital games' Alexander Schnider; and Rainer Schultes, who 'brings a technical background to the table and is a great listener'.
Constantin Kletzer; Juliane Messner; Max Mosing; Alexander Schnider; Rainer Schultes
‘Geistwert is likely the hottest IP Firm in Austria. The team covers all fields of Intellectual Property Law. They work hands on, they are quick and are all super nice.’
‘One of the most impressive feats that still surprises us every time is Geistwert’s immediate availability: I do not recall a single time when it took them longer than one or two hours to reply to a spontaneous enquiry via email.’
‘Geistwert is a great firm. It is very down to earth in a legal market that can be very conservative.’
‘The law firm Geistwert is an IP and IT-niche boutique, which is highly dedicated to IP and IT law. A far as I can assess they have been shaking up the Austrian market in that area since their formation only some years ago.’
‘Constantin Kletzer is an outstanding lawyer with amazing experience in soft IP.‘
‘Juliane Messner is our first choice for copyrights. She is truly amazing.’
‘Constantin Kletzer is the best patent litigator I know in Austria. He gets to the heart of things quickly and knows how to steer the court into the right direction.’
‘Juliane and Max are not only legal rockstars in their core field of IT and IP, but they have a clear understanding of the connections between law, business, especially project work, and technology.’
‘We love Constantin Kletzer – he really is very hands-on and practical, bringing the solutions we need.’
‘Rainer Schultes brings a technical background to the table and is a great listener and delivers the product you ask for.‘
‘Alexander Schnider is an expert in the legal area of digital games.‘
SIG Sauer Inc
IQVIA (formerly IMS-Health)
LTS – association of touristic-bureaus of South Tyrol
Wien Tourismus – Vienna Tourist Board
Micro Focus/Hewlett Packard
- Advised a financial services company on its market entry, in particular with regard to trade marks, unfair competition and contract law.
- Acted in patent litigation, which was accepted by the Austrian Supreme Court and decided in favour of the firm’s client.
- Represented a client in patent litigation against an Austrian gun manufacturer.
The team at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) has experience in the full range of IP-related matters, including trade marks, designs, patents, copyright, trade secrets protection and unfair competition. It operates a one-stop shop in IP and incorporates input from experienced lawyers in other departments of the firm, and has a specialised trade mark and design administration department. The team is led by Guido Kucsko, Christian Schumacher and Michael Woller. Recently promoted counsel Dominik Hofmarcher is another name to note.
Guido Kucsko; Christian Schumacher; Michael Woller
‘Competent, reliable, proactive.‘
‘Dr. Kucsko and his team supported us during the last years on several IP issues in Austria and EU and we have won several law suits in Austria, Germany etc with their support.’
‘Guido Kucsko, Dominik Hofmarcher are a pleasure to work with.’
Procter & Gamble
HEIDI Chocolat Suisse
Uniqa Insurance Group
Tobaccoland (Austria Tabak)
Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria)
- Acts for various clients on the enforcement measures to protect (often famous) trade marks across the CEE region.
- Defended Uber in unfair competition proceedings against the Austrian taxi industry.
- Advises various clients on large-scale international trade mark portfolio management and enforcement matters worldwide.
Schwarz Schönherr Rechtsanwälte OEG
Highly regarded IP boutique Schwarz Schönherr Rechtsanwälte OEG has established a leading patent litigation practice, having handled numerous high-profile disputes. The firm's expertise in trade mark and unfair competition is also of note, and it counts designer and luxury brands among its clients. Georg Schönherr leads the team, with support from 'trade mark and design genius' Markus Grötschl and Thomas Adocker, who is considered 'one of the most experienced patent lawyers in Austria'.
‘Schwarz-Schönherr is an excellent IP boutique in Vienna and one of our preferred cooperation partners. Due to their no-overhead structure, they can offer partner-level service and are easy to reach and discuss matters in detail. They are one of the first addresses when it comes to IP litigation in Austria.’
‘Very fast in response, very experienced, very good value for money.’
‘Fast, effective and very international.‘
‘Mr. Georg Schönherr is very prompt in his responses, very hands-on, often simply picks up the phone instead of writing long (and costly) reports nobody has time to read.‘
‘Thomas Adocker is one of the most experienced patent lawyers in Austria, focusing on the pharmaceutical sector.’
‘Markus Grötschl is a trademark and design genius and assists us regularly in contentious matters.‘
‘Georg Schönherr is the senior partner always taking part in meetings and providing his advice based on long experience in the subject.‘
Accord Healthcare Ltd
Almdudler-Limonade A. & S. Klein GmbH & Co. KG
Astro Lighting Limited
Becton Dickinson Austria GmbH
DAF TRUCKS N.V.
Fashion One / Fashion Television International Limited
George Gina & Lucy
J.A.N. Promotion GmbH
MAN Truck & Bus AG
MIP METRO Group Intellectual Property GmbH & Co. KG
Mischief Films Georg Misch & Raplh Wieser
Norma Lebensmittelfilialbetrieb Stiftung & Co. KG
Novartis / Sandoz / Hexal
Salinen Austria AG
Samsung Electronicx Austria GmbH
Starbucks Coffee Company
TPA Steuerberatung GmbH
University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna
Wittmann Möbelwerkstätten GmbH
- Representing Novartis, Sandoz and Hexal in trade mark and unfair competition matters.
- Represented Becton Dickinson in high-profile patent litigation concerning medical devices.
- Represents MAN Truck & Bus in design matters, including in the filing of several design registrations for various designs.
Binder Grösswang's strong trade mark practice covers both contentious and non-contentious work; its recent workload includes worldwide portfolio management for Lenzing, registering an unusual trade mark for HYPO Vorarlberg Bank and representing Trodat in an injunction against infringement. The firm also handles licensing, copyright and unfair competition matters. Practice head Ivo Rungg can 'develop unconventional solutions' and is 'very knowledgeable'. Counsel Michael Horak joined from Salomonowitz Rechtsanwälte, bringing 'outstanding intelligence with a pragmatic approach'.
‘Michael Horak responds to questions quickly and solves issues in a very practical way which is highly appreciated.‘
‘Dr. Michael Horak has been our preferred attorney in Austria for the last ten years. We highly appreciate the combination of excellent legal skills and knowledge and his outstanding intelligence with a pragmatic approach which leads to highly satisfying legal results at moderate fees. He is evidently one of the best IP/IT attorneys of Austria.‘
‘Major full-service firm in Austria with offices in all relevant cities. Responsive and nice to work with. My two key contacts are Dr. Ivo Rungg and Dr. Hellmut Buchroithner. Both are very seasoned and experienced trade mark and unfair competition lawyers. I work regularly with both on such matters. The quality of work is always great and it is fun to work with them.‘
‘We primarily work with Michael Horak. He is very experienced in enforcing intellectual property rights in Austria and abroad. Michael Horak has an excellent understanding of Austrian and international IP law. He has a big network of international associates and has assisted us all over the globe with strategic advice on the protection of our intellectual property.‘
‘Fast response, very knowledgeable, give input on side effects, clear and understandable answers, clear recommendations what to do.‘
‘Dr. Buchroithner: very knowledgeable, great expression and writing style, fast, efficient.‘
‘Dr. Rungg: very knowledgeable, informs about side-effects, clear recommendations on how to react and what to do.‘
‘A strong team of very experienced attorneys (five attorneys, two associates, two paralegals) which is capable of tackling complex matters as well as routine work in a highly efficient way. Very responsive and solution-oriented. Whenever you deal with them, it is always top-quality and top-level.‘
‘Ivo Rungg: having 20 years of experience in IP/IT law he knows how to cross-link issues and develop unconventional solutions.‘
‘Michael Horak: very knowledgeable due to his academic work, knows how to put his knowledge into practical advice, very sharp and smart and very experienced in IP/unfair competition litigation.‘
‘Hellmut Buchroithner: excellent in strategic advice and worldwide trade mark prosecution work.‘
Hypo Vorarlberg Bank AG
Renault Österreich GmbH
Tiroler Glashütte GmbH (“RIEDEL GLASS”)
THQ Nordic AB
Xerox Austria GmbH
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Springer Kommunaltechnik GmbH
KIA Austria GmbH
OVE Österreichischer Verband für Elektrotechnik
Zillertal Tourismus GmbH
Capgemini Consulting Österreich AG
- Advised Hypo Vorarlberg Bank AG in connection with its efforts to register a sound trade mark.
- Advised Lenzing AG on protecting its core trade marks in several countries.
- Represented Modemobil GmbH in its efforts to register new important trade marks, facing severe registration obstacles in connection with an alleged descriptive character of the trade marks in question.
Egon Engin-Deniz heads the IP team at CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH, which handles trade mark and copyright litigation, design and unfair competition law and trade secrets. The firm acts for clients in various sectors including pharmaceuticals (cosmetics and medical devices), media (artist merchandise) and retail. The practice successfully represented Sky in copyright litigation and Johnson & Johnson in an infringement case involving regulatory issues. It also advised on a cross-border trade mark case involving the German and Italian jurisdictions.
‘Very experienced lawyers, reliable, always available, competent, service orientated. The intellectual property team (Dr. Engin-Deniz, Dr. Staber, Mag. Lederer) has a comprising technological expertise, is very experienced and always works thoroughly. These lawyers are very competent and service orientated.‘
backaldrin International The Kornspitz Company
Johnson & Johnson
Magirus Lohr (CNH industrial)
Demner Merlicek & Bergmann
Unser Ö-Bonus Club GmbH
- Representing Syngenta in trade mark litigation against an Austrian parallel importer of plant protection products.
- Advising backaldrin International The Kornspitz Company in relation to the infringement of its KORNSPITZ trade marks in Germany and Italy by an Italian competitor.
- Successfully represented Sky in copyright litigation against an Austrian TV station and obtained an injunction for the client against a competitor broadcaster.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Wiltschek Rechtsanwälte works exclusively on IP law, with a smaller structure that allows it to provide a cost-effective service. Practice heads Lothar Wiltschek and David Plasser provide partner input in every case. Both partners work on patents, trade marks and unfair competition matters, with Wiltschek focusing on employee inventions and Plasser handling design and personality rights protection and copyright work.
Lothar Wiltschek; David Plasser
Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG handles trade mark and unfair competition work for household name international clients including Google, Microsoft and Lego. Facebook is another notable client; the firm continues to represent it in a high-profile copyright infringement dispute. The practice also advises companies in the consumer finance and pharmaceutical sectors on patent rights. Practice head Georg Kresbach is 'experienced and knowledgeable in data protection'.
‘Very competent and effective.‘
‘Georg Kresbach: experienced and knowledgeable in data protection and related areas.‘
‘Wolf Theiss’s rates remain very reasonable in line with the (high) quality of work delivered.‘
‘Maren Jergolla has proved to be a very practically oriented, sharp negotiator who has helped our company achieve great success in Austria.‘
‘All of the firm’s attorneys have been quick and comprehensive in their way of working, making resolution of issues highly efficient.‘
Banco do Brasil AG
B. Braun Melsungen AG
EMCOOLS Medical Cooling Systems GmbH
MCM Holding AG / Kaufhaus Steffl Betriebs AG / World of Mozart Museumsbetrieb GmbH
Österreichische Universitätenkonferenz – UNIKO
Zimmer Biomet Austria GmbH
- Representing Facebook in civil and criminal proceedings alleging the infringement of copyrights and personality rights of the former leader of the Austrian Green Party, Dr. Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek.
- Represents MCM Holdings AG in an intellectual property dispute regarding use of the MCM logo.
- Representing Youtube in a liability dispute concerning the monetisation of videos on its platform.
Brauneis Klauser Prändl Rechtsanwälte GmbH focuses on trade marks, but also advises on unfair competition law. The practice has expertise in the luxury goods and alcohol sectors in particular; practice head Martin Reinisch leads on a long-running vodka trade mark case for Spirits International Group, and also handles infringement litigation for Moët Hennessy. The team's workload includes cross-border matters, including co-ordinating Shiseido's trade mark portfolio across multiple jurisdictions.
Spirits International Group (SPI Group)
Shiseido (Beauté Prestige International SA)
LIFE+ (formerly Aids Life)
Quality Austria – Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH
Bacardi & Company Ltd
KSR Solution GmbH
Moët Hennessy Österreich GmbH
- Representing Spirits InternationalGroup (SPI Group) in a legal dispute about the ownership of the STOLICHNAYA and MOSKOVSKAYA vodka trade marks.
- Representing Shiseido (BeautéPrestige InternationalSA) in infringement cases.
- Advising LIFE+ (formerly Aids Life) on trade mark law and unfair competition law.
Eisenberger & Herzog's three-partner team, which covers both IP and IT, acts as counsel for high-profile clients including Microsoft, Samsung and Toyota. It takes on both contentious and non-contentious matters, spanning unfair competition proceedings, licensing agreements and IP matters in M&A, among other areas. The practice has handled cross-border trade mark management for Immonfinanz Group, supervising the company's portfolio in the EU and CEE jurisdictions. Andreas Zellhofer heads the team.
‘Very quick answers with comprehensive legal background and understandable. You can trust and rely on Eisenberger & Herzog!‘
‘Highly professional, excellent expertise, very easy-going. Furthermore E&H has experts in every division and is responding quickly to every question and issue we have. Never had any problems.‘
Haus der Musik
- Regularly advises Microsoft Corporation, Microsoft Ireland and Microsoft Austria on sensitive matters. Currently representing the client in a landmark case before an Austrian court.
- Acting as lead counsel for Samsung on a strategic investment in the Austrian high-tech company TTTech for autonomous driving.
- Enforced Honda’s trade mark rights against unauthorised resellers.
Graf & Pitkowitz has a strong focus on contentious matters, and regularly handles patent infringement and copyright disputes. In recent work, it pursued a cease and desist order for VELUX. The team's client base includes a number of companies in the life sciences sector, including Ferring Pharmaceuticals. Claudia Csáky and Ferdinand Graf are the practice heads.
Claudia Csáky; Ferdinand Graf
KTM Fahrrad GmbH
therapie-info PSISYS GmbH
VELUX Österreich GmbH
Ogilvy & Mather GmbH
Young & Rubicam Vienna
kraftWerk Agentur für neue Kommunikation GmbH
AM Baugeräte und Handels GmbH
- Assisting Swedish company Daniel Wellington in defending against the sale of counterfeit watches in Austria. The dispute also involves the issue of the client’s right to request information on the origin of the fake products from the defendant.
- Advised therapie-info PSISYS GmbH on IP and data protection during the development of its online psychotherapist platform, and also in court proceedings regarding an application for an injunction.
- Handled VELUX Österreich GmbH’s claims against other window manufacturers using the VELUX band for advertising purposes, creating new precedents by ensuring the effectiveness of cease and desist orders issued by the court.
Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH
Led by Sonja Hebenstreit, Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH's 'very efficient' team handles unfair competition matters and licensing agreements, concentrating on non-contentious work. The practice has a sector focus in life sciences and the firm is a member of BIOLAW Europe, a network of firms specialising in this industry; clients include Marinomed Biotech, Gilead Sciences and Novartis Pharma. The firm also advises start-ups and acts as counsel to an initiative set up to aid entrepreneurs.
‘Herbst Kinsky’s passionate team is always up to date, manages even complicated and demanding issues smoothly and provides us with solutions perfectly matching our needs. Compared with other firms we appreciate their ability to explain difficult concepts in a clear way.‘
‘Sonja Hebenstreit is a true expert when it comes to IP legal matters. She has been in the business for more than 20 years and that really pays off. There is no matter that she hasn’t seen and this gives us the good feeling of getting the best advice at the best price.‘
‘Very efficient, goal oriented and experienced team. Constructive and creative in difficult negotiation situations. High standards throughout all individuals I have worked with. Very efficient interaction with focus on the critical key points and no distraction with irrelevant points. Very quick turnaround when working on contracts. The team is always reachable and available!‘
‘Experience and profound know-how for biotechnology (Phillip Dubsky). Very solid support in corporate law questions. (Phillip Dubsky, Wolfgang Schwackhöfer, Alina Regal).‘
Marinomed Biotech AG
Tower 10 GmbH /Tom Storyteller GmbH
Gilead Sciences GmbH
Kvell Group GmbH
Novartis Pharma GmbH
Minges Kaffeerösterei GmbH
- Advised P4 Therapeutics on the negotiation of major licence agreements with scientific institutions and an international pharmaceutical company.
- Advised Haplogen GmbH on a collaboration and licence agreement as basis for a research and development cooperation with Bayer AG.
- Advised GoStudent – an Austrian online learning platform – on (out-of-court) disputes with a German competing platform (regarding alleged misleading advertising).
Baker McKenzie • Diwok Hermann Petsche Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG counts a number of high-profile international companies as IP clients. Practice head Lukas Feiler, who was promoted to partner in July 2019, specialises in IP issues arising in the IT sector, with expertise in digital copyright and open source licensing, among other areas. Recent work for the team includes trade mark and copyright litigation for technology firms, an unfair competition dispute for an entertainment organisation, and negotiating a design infringement settlement for a luxury goods firm.
- Advised THQ Nordic, a Swedish game developer corporation, on the acquisition of all major assets of Koch Media, a global media company which was founded in Austria.
- Managed F.LIST GmbH’s global trade mark portfolio and advised the client with regard to trade mark protection and enforcement strategies.
Led by Mark Krenn and the 'excellent' and 'very precise' Katharina Majchrzak, Cerha Hempel's practice has a strong focus on the food and beverages sector, with recent highlights including its management of McDonald's trade mark portfolio. The team also advises on IP aspects of M&A transactions in the technology sector, aiming to combine IP and IT into one practice, as well as licensing and know-how agreements.
Mark Krenn; Katharina Majchrzak
‘CHSH covers many legal areas. The overall level of service is very high. The response times are short and agreed response dates are kept reliably.‘
‘Katharina Majchrzak: extensive knowledge in intellectual property law; very precise; reliable.‘
‘Very strong in trade marks and unfair competition law, very high competence in litigation.‘
‘Katharina Majchrzak: one of the best attorneys in Austria in trademarks and unfair competition law.‘
‘Excellent expertise in IP law and unfair competition law; many years of experience; very responsive.‘
‘Dr. Katharina Majchrzak: excellent expertise in IP law and unfair competition law; many years of experience; very responsive; she communicates her solutions in a clearly, well-structured and comprehensible manner; she draws the attention to what is important from a business perspective; sound industry knowledge.‘
Michael Pachleitner Group
SES Spar European Shopping Centers GmbH
- Administration of McDonald’s trade mark portfolio in Austria and ongoing legal advice related to trade marks and unfair competition.
- Advised Immundiagnostik AG on the acquisition of all assets, mainly comprising IP rights and software, from KIWENO.
- Legal defence in an unfair competition case before the Commercial Court in Vienna.
KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH
KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH's three-partner team counts high-profile companies among its clients and maintains a broad practice, covering unfair competition, trade secrets and patent infringement. On the contentious side, practice head Barbara Kuchar successfully represented a client before the European Court of Justice in a trade mark cancellation claim. Non-contentious work includes licensing, acquisition and joint venture agreements, as well as running trade mark portfolios.
Intersport Austria GmbH
Reckitt Benckiser GmbH
Edizon Innovation GmbH
Campbell Soup Company
Fashion designer Lena Hoschek
Diogenes Verlag AG
- Defended a case before the European Court in Luxembourg for an individual producer of pumpkin seed oil for cancellation of the trade mark of an agricultural association in Austria.
- Handles the trade mark portfolio of a major tech company’s Austrian trade marks.
- Strategic advice to Lena Hoschek, a fashion designer, in trade mark protection and prosecution matters.
PENDL MAIR Attorneys at Law
PENDL MAIR Attorneys at Law is a boutique IP practice that boasts a large team of experienced practitioners attending to the needs of a substantial client base. Specialising in trade mark and copyright matters, the team is jointly led by the 'knowledgeable' Gerald Mair and the 'very experienced' Rudolf Pendl. Recent work highlights include providing worldwide trade mark administration and ongoing trade mark support for voestalpine High Performance Metals GmbH, and advising on data security and data protection for the Austrian Chamber of Commerce.
Rudolf Pendl; Gerald Mair
‘The team of Pendl Mair consists of competent and dedicated lawyers having a profound knowledge in the field of IP law, in particular with respect to current topics.‘
‘Pendl Mair is a premier choice for Intellectual Property matters, providing quick and reliable advice without losing sight of the costs.‘
‘Extraordinary experience in all fields of Intellectual Property Law.‘
‘Dr. Gerald Mair is not only very knowledgeable when it comes to trademark law, but also his strategic advice shows that he is an expert in dealing with IP matter, in particular in litigation.‘
‘Gerald Mair provides cutting-edge expertise in the field of trademark law. His knowledge and capabilities are also highly appreciated when matters are off the beaten track.‘
‘Dr. Rudolf Pendl is a very experienced, dynamic and Business thinking lawyer who has supported my work in many difficult cases over many years.‘
‘Martin Walser is a very competent partner especially in copyright matters. Gerald Mair and Rudi Pendl are exceptional lawyers in all IP matters.‘
voestalpine High Performance Metals GmbH
Regionalmedien Austria AG
Roman Catholic Church (various Austrian legal entities)
Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO)
University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna (mdw)
WWP Weirather – Wenzel & Partner GmbH
Lemberona Handels GmbH
Carl Suchy & Söhne AG
Tyrolean Brass Band Association (Blasmusikverband Tirol)
- Worldwide trade mark administration and ongoing trade mark support for voestalpine High Performance Metals GmbH.
- Legal advice on SWARCO AG’s IP matters.
- Advice on data security and data protection for the Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO).
The team at Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH covers a broad range of IP matters, including trade mark portfolios, trade mark disputes and copyright law. Recent highlights include advising on the world-famous Vienna Boys Choir’s trade mark and domain portfolio, and advising Austria's oldest winery on the settlement of a trade mark dispute and on the conclusion of a settlement with Patrón Spirits International. The team is led by Martin Prohaska-Marchried, Dieter Natlacen and Andreas Schütz.
Martin Prohaska; Dieter Natlacen; Andreas Schütz
‘I appreciate the fast, friendly, and competent manner that Taylor Wessing has applied in all contact with us.‘
‘We highly appreciate Taylor Wessing’s business minded approach, their straight to the point advice and their experience, all of which are a great support for us.‘
‘We value Martin Prohaska-Marchried’s very pragmatic view of things which often leads to quick solutions rather than lengthy processes.‘
Wiener Sängerknaben (Vienna Boys Choir)
Weingut Stift Klosterneuburg
Inter Ikea Systems B.V.
A1 Telekom Austria AG
Europapier Austria GmbH (Part of Heinzel Group)
Zellstoff Pöls AG (Part of Heinzel Group)
Laakirchen Papier AG (Part of Heinzel Group)
Weltbild Verlag GesmbH
Great Lengths Haarvertriebs GmbH
Eternit Österreich GmbH
Develey Senf & Feinkost GmbH
Also Austria GmbH
Fronius International GmbH
Österreichische Apotheker-Verlagsgesellschaft m.b.H.
NIKE European Operations Netherlands B.V.
Neudoerfler Office Systems GmbH
Vorwerk Austria GmbH & Co KG
Dr. Schär AG
MHA Reinhard Müller HandelsgmbH
Graphisoft Deutschland GmbH
Adeg Österreich Handelsaktiengesellschaft
Urban Massage Limited
Primavera Life GmbH
Altigi GmbH (Goodgame Studios)
Nespresso Österreich GmbH & Co OHG
SKY Österreich Fernsehen GmbH
Yamaha Music Europe GmbH
Société des Produits Nestlé S.A.
Chapter 4 Corp. d/b/a SUPREME
- Advice regarding the world-famous Vienna Boys Choir’s trade mark and domain portfolio as well as licensing.
- Advising Austria’s oldest winery on the settlement of a trade mark dispute and advice on the conclusion of a settlement with Patrón Spirits International AG, a subsidiary of Bacardi.
- Acted for Nespresso against the Austrian retailer Hofer KG in the context of the Hofer “George Clooney” look-alike 2018 media campaign.
ABP Anwälte Burger & Partner Rechtsanwalt GmbH is a specialist IP boutique led by Hannes Burger, Clemens Ofner and Katarina Casals Ide. The team maintains a particular focus on contentious patent work and trade mark matters. Recent work highlights include representing Swarovski in a long-running patent matter and advising Richter Pharma AG in a trade mark dispute regarding homeopathic pharmaceuticals.
Hannes Bur; Clemens Ofner; Katarina Casals Ide
‘The people at ABP are very well educated and have excellent professional and social skills.‘
‘The ABP team includes lawyers, patent attorneys and search specialists. This enables us to cover all intellectual property issues. On the whole it is great support and advise.‘
‘Perfect combination of legal & technical know-how, precise knowledge about products, patents & technology used, discovers traps that no one was aware before.‘
‘Burger Hannes: He is reachable nearly all time in urgent matters, and is well experienced in litigation before a court of law.‘
‘Ofner Clemens is the expert in Trademarks.. He has a high accuracy in his estimations what will be the decisions concerning trade marks.‘
Rosenbauer International AG
Swarovski Optik KG
FILL GESELLSCHAFT M.B.H.
- Representing Swarovski in a longstanding patent matter.
- Assisting Coil Holding GmbH with a patent application with the Austrian Patent Office for a specialised inductance coil.
- Advising Richter Pharma AG in an inter-jurisdictional trade mark dispute regarding homeopathic pharmaceuticals.
The IP team at Jank Weiler Operenyi covers copyright and trade mark matters, and is also equipped to advise on licence and production agreements. Its client base includes a number of notable companies in the film, healthcare and media industries. Led by the 'very reliable and trustworthy' Sascha Jung, recent work highlights include advising Firefin GmbH on a range on IP and IT-related matters.
‘The team is very professional and knowledgeable in handling all relevant legal matters.’
‘Sascha Jung is very reliable and trustworthy! He is an expert in his field and has a great capability to see the big picture.‘
SPIEGEL Online GmbH
Mini Film ProKids-Kulturverein Filmproduktions KG
PUIG France S.A.S.
Playful Solutions GmbH
Caerus Investmentbeteiligungs GmbH
Blautöne Media GmbH
Österreichischer Bundesverband für Psychotherapie
Generalsekretariat der österreichischen Bischofskonferenz
DOR FILM Produktionsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Dynamic Assembly Machines Anlagenbau GmbH
Wiener Medizinische Akademie Kongress GmbH
e&a Film GmbH
SAS Financiere Meriquet (Ateliers de France)
Sparfell Aviation Group SA
- Providing advice and representation in regards to copyright claims against SPIEGEL Online GmbH.
- Advising Firefin GmbH on IP/IT-related matters.
- Advising PUIG France S.A.S., a leading fashion and fragrance company, on all fields of unfair competition and intellectual property.
Lansky, Ganzger + Partner (LGP)
Lansky, Ganzger + Partner (LGP)'s IP practice covers a wide range of matters, including trade marks, data protection and copyright issues. Gerald Ganzger is highlighted as 'one of the most experienced media and litigation PR experts in Austria'; he and Katharina Raabe-Stuppnig lead the team, which is noted for its strong work when advising media clients on copyright cases. Recent work highlights include advising AutoScout24 AS GmbH in the areas of IP and competition law.
Gerald Ganzger; Katharina Raabe-Stuppnig
‘Dr. Gerald Ganzger is one of the most experienced media and litigation PR experts in Austria. He works closely with Dr. Oliver Peschel, who supports him with professional competence. The lawyers’ pragmatic approach ensures flexible, fast and, above all, accurate results.‘
App Guru GmbH
AutoScout24 AS GmbH
Casinos Austria AG
Chamber of Commerce Vienna
CUP SOLUTIONS Mehrweg GmbH
European Brand Institute
Falkensteiner Michaeler Tourism Group
Gruner + Jahr GmbH & Co KG (Media House)
Lowe GGK Werbeagentur GmbH
news networld internetservice GmbH (internet portal of VGN Group)
Rainer Kraftfahrzeughandels AG
SPLASHLINE Travel und Event GmbH
Verlag Holzhausen GmbH
VGN Group (former Verlagsgruppe NEWS GmbH, publishing house)
Zeus Soda GmbH
- Advising AutoScout24 AS GmbH in the field of IP and competition law and representing the company in court proceedings.
- Advising leading Central and South-Eastern European hotel group Falkensteiner Michaeler Tourism Group on a range of legal matters.
- Advising academic publisher Hollitzer Wissenschaftsverlag on questions of copyright law.
Julia Kusznier leads the IP team at Schindler Attorneys. The department focuses particularly on transaction-related IP matters, though other areas of work include portfolio management for start-ups, cancellation proceedings and unfair competition matters. Among its recent highlights was its work for Singvogel in relation to all IP and civil law matters, in particular regarding trade mark and software law.
Lindt & Sprüngli Austria GmbH
Beach Majors GmbH
ACTS Communications GmbH
Deutsche Telekom AG
Toyota Frey Holding
Österreichische Marshallplan Jubiläumsstiftung
- Acted as lead counsel for Deutsche Telekom AG on the acquisition of an Austrian technology services provider, which included advice on specific IP-related matters.
- Advised Christof Holding on the sale of Christof Electrics, including on the share purchase agreement and specific IP-related issues (in particular IP warranties).
- Represents Singvogel in relation to all IP and civil law matters, in particular trade mark and software law.