Binder Grösswang is highly regarded for the breadth of competition and antitrust work, both domsetic and international. The team most notably advises private clients and large public entities on highly strategic matters including abuse of dominance, merger control filings, and competition law issues at the intersection of digitalisation and public procurement matters. The team, headed by Raoul Hoffer, fields a roster of recommended specialists including Christine Dietz, Johannes Barbist and Isabelle Innerhofer, and is referred to by clients as ‘among - if not the - biggest and most esteemed competition law teams in the Austrian market'.
EU and competition in Austria
Other key lawyers:
Christine Dietz; Johannes Barbist; Isabelle Innerhofer
‘The competition practice of Binder Grösswang is among – if not the – biggest and most esteemed competition law teams in the Austrian market. They are super-well organised and up to the task, and it is always a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Excellent knowledge, good contacts within the Competition Authority, fast, responsive and practical. Fun to work with.’
‘Raoul Hoffer and Christine Dietz are the best competition lawyers in Austria.’
‘Isabelle Innerhofer is a reliable professional, technically very smart and prepared, who is able to address even complicated legal issues with speed and accuracy.’
‘The BG competition team is my first choice for high-value, complex competition law matter. For me, they are the top pick among the competition teams in Austria.’
‘The practice of Raoul Hoffer and his team is very unique and special. The applied strategies and tactical ideas are creative and at the end really successful. The working style is very ambitious and vivid.’
‘Raoul Hoffer has great strategic skills and experience. He is the person to ask in complex cases and dealings with authorities. An absolute leader in the competition law field in Austria!’
‘Christine Dietz: there is no-one suited better in Austria when it comes to getting a merger through. She is not only super experienced, but also extremely creative and can fix almost any issue that one would have in merger control cases. High recommendation!’
City of Vienna
Coca-Cola HBC Austria
Court Square Capital
Nissan Center Europe
Rail Cargo Austria
Region of Upper Austria
SCANIA CV AB
Wiener Wohnen (City of Vienna)
Comer Industries S.p.A.
Beretta Holding S.A.
FSN Capital Partners
- Defending Scania in several court proceedings against follow-on damage claims in connection with the pan-European truck case.
- Assisting seller Court Square Capital with its $1.2bn sale of wholesale hotel business Getaroom to Booking.com.
- Representing Wiener Wohnen, as claimant, before the Commercial Court in Vienna in an action concerning unfair competition law and abuse of dominance provisions against Airbnb Ireland.
bpv Hügel excels in the full spectrum of multi-jurisdictional contentious and non-contentious EU and competition matters, handling merger control filings, FDI investments, and cartel cases for domestic and international clients. Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber and Florian Neumayr - who focus on competition law - and Christian Schneider - who leads on issues relating to EU law - between them oversee a diverse team of dispute resolution, competition and energy law experts to provide holistic and tailored advice to clients. Gerhard Fussenegger advises clients out of the firm’s Brussels office, and is heavily involved in the EU litigation practice.
Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber; Florian Neumayr; Christian Schneider
Other key lawyers:
‘Clear communication, rapid conception of complex issues, coordination with other areas within the law firm, clearly understandable recommendations for action. My impression is a very positive one, as a strength I would describe the competence of each individual lawyer paired with the uncomplicated internal coordination with other internal office departments.’
‘Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber can not only teach employees very calmly and competently how to behave in dawn raids, but also always walks the extra mile in competition law matters, excellent strategic thinking.’
‘We can highly recommend both Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber and Gerhard Fussenegger. They work quickly, reliably and always to the point. In doing so, they have an accurate and realistic assessment of the further process and appropriate recommendations for actions.’
‘High professional competence, tailored approach specifically to the topic, practical answers, high customer focus, quick and concretely implementable answers.’
‘The team comes extremely well prepared, has wit, knowledge and alertness. They really care about their clients; they make themselves available whenever necessary and lend an ear to your issues and they are quick in action and response.’
‘Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber: a philospher’s brain, a fighter’s heart, she wants to help and to win your case more than anything else, and has all the capabilities and the attitude to do so.’
‘I know Florian Neumayr as the eloquent speaker, the knowledgeable presenter, the critical voice against all who oppose you. He knows the perfect balance between seriousness and wit, which helps him – and his arguments- to be remembered. Great lawyer.’
‘Astrid Ablasser-Neuhuber is an excellent lawyer with many years of experience in competition law, maximum commitment to the client, very pleasant cooperation.’
Paul Bauder GmbH
A1 Telekom Austria
Gas Connect Austria
RWA Raiffeisen Ware Austria
card complete (Visa)
BAT British American Tobacco
Austrian Chamber of Pharmacists
Raiffeisen Holding Niederösterreich-Wien
- Advising Gas Connect on all antitrust and merger control work.
- Assisting Immofinanz with a bidding contest between CPI Property Group and S-Immo, including advising on issues at the interface between capital markets law and competition law.
- Advising RWA Raiffeisen Ware Austria-Group on all antitrust and merger control work in Austria and the CEE region.
Cerha Hempel’s diverse EU and competition team is well equipped to act for domestic and international corporations, and its typical workload includes co-ordinating international, EU and Austrian merger notifications, cartel investigations and proceedings, civil damage and enforcement proceedings, FDI screenings, and state aid matters, as well as advising on the implementation of compliance systems across multiple jurisdictions and, in particular, across the CEE region. Headed by Bernhard Kofler-Senoner, the team often appears in high-profile cases before the European Commission, with strength and expertise in litigation at the intersection of digital markets, sustainability and supply chains. Key contacts include Anna Wolf-Posch, Hans Kristoferitsch, Stefan Huber and Michael Mayer.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Wolf-Posch; Hans Kristoferitsch; Stefan Huber; Michael Mayer
‘Beyond the high-level legal expertise, the team provides very hands-on business advice and pays great attention to the specific situation of their clients.’
‘In our opinion, the strengths of the team lie in their ability to tailor their opinions to the needs of their clients, their professionalism, efficiency, responsiveness, and their deep knowledge and understanding of Austrian and EU competition and antitrust law.’
‘The cooperation has always been very professional and smooth. They are very well connected with the authorities and always up to date with current events and developments. We are always impressed by the efficiency, responsiveness and ability of practitioners to deal with challenging situations in a professional manner.’
‘Quality and service are exceptional. The response times are short and agreed response dates are kept reliably. Highly committed and professional team, coordinated, works quickly and efficiently.’
‘Bernhard Kofler-Senoner is our man regarding competition law and compliance. He has a singular knowledge about our group’s business fields and the people involved. In particular, our senior management relies upon his advice.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with them. Team’s strengths comprise super responsiveness and know-how about our industry environment, as well as our organisation.’
‘Bernhard Kofler-Senoner is passionate about competition law and knows all the trends and developments. He also quickly develops insight into the industry and relevant markets and understands the business aspects of the legal matter. The junior members of his team are always approachable, friendly and ready to jump in and answer our follow-up questions.’
‘Anna Wolf-Posch and Bernhard Kofler-Senoner are both top Austrian competition lawyers.’
PIERER Mobility AG / KTM AG
RHI Magnesita N.V.
B&C Industrieholding GmbH
Teufelberger Holding AG
SPAR Holding AG
City of Vienna (Stadt Wien) & WIENER STADTWERKE
Pernod Ricard SA
Pittel + Brausewetter Gesellschaft m.b.H.
iMedia Brands, Inc.
Vienna International Airport
Republic of Austria
Austrian Power Grid / VÜN
Rundfunk und Telekom Regulierungs-GmbH (“RTR GmbH”)
MDR Media GmbH
Welser Profile Beteiligungs GmbH
- Advised PIERER Mobility on the establishment of a joint venture with MAXCOM for the production of e-bikes in Bulgaria.
- Advised RHI Magnesita on the establishment of a recycling joint venture with the Horn & Co. Group.
- Advising B&C Industrieholding on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of 80% of the shares in Schur Flexibles Holding.
E+H Rechtsanwälte GmbH’s wide-ranging practice spans state aid litigation, merger controls, private enforcement cases following cartel decisions, and high-profile antitrust, EU and competition litigation. The team's client roster comprises notable domestic and international clients, with a focus on the digital, pharmaceutical and healthcare, technology, transport, and energy sectors. The group regularly acts in a large volume of competition cases before the European Commission. Dieter Thalhammer heads the team, which also includes Andreas Zellhofer, Judith Feldner and Jochen Anweiler.
Other key lawyers:
Andreas Zellhofer; Judith Feldner; Jochen Anweiler
‘The team is very well experienced in national and European competition law.’
‘The team is extremely experienced and very focused. They have a short response time. Proactive handling. Good international network.’
‘Dieter Thalhammer is perfect in competition law and can give clear advice on how things should be handled.’
Rail Cargo Austria
Bregal, the investment company
- Represented Meta in proceedings regarding the violation of the Austrian standstill obligation with regard to Meta’s acquisition of GIPHY, as well as in the respective Austrian merger control proceedings, obtaining conditional clearance in phase II.
- Defending Volvo/Renault in litigation claiming damages following the truck cartel case.
- Representing Austrian Airlines in state aid proceedings before the European Court of Justice.
Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) offers expertise in all matters of competition, EU and foreign trade law, including the representation of leading industry players in European and Austrian antitrust investigations, and state aid-related proceedings. The practice’s client base is predominantly comprises major players from the construction, transport, media, packaging, energy, telecoms, and food retail sectors. Other work includes defence of enterprises in private actions for damages, cease and desist orders, and follow-on damages claims. Led by Christoph Haid, the expert team also includes Hanno Wollmann, Franz Urlesberger and Stefanie Stegbauer.
Other key lawyers:
Hanno Wollmann; Franz Urlesberger; Stefanie Stegbauer; Valerie Ditz-Stimakovits
‘We have worked together with Schoenherr very well for the past 20 years. We trust their capabilities, appreciate their responsiveness and know that we can fully rely on their advice.’
‘Franz Urlesberger and Christoph Haid are the two main partners we work with. Franz has a very profound and thorough knowledge of the law and of the practical aspects. The same is true for Christoph who is also responsible for organising all other competition lawyers in the Schoenherr offices.
‘Stefanie Stegbauer is one of my favourite practitioners.’
‘Specialist team that can cover Austrian competition law matters skillfully and efficiently.’
‘Volker Weiss is an excellent practitioner with whom we have worked closely on difficult matters with excellent results.’
‘Hanno Wollmann is a (if not the) leading practitioner in competition law in Austria. He has in-depth knowledge in many industries and offers hands-on advice.’
‘Excellent knowledge of Austrian competition law coupled with the greatest coverage of jurisdictions in Eastern and Southeastern Europe.’
‘Christoph Haid is super responsive and has excellent knowledge of Austrian competition and FDI law.’
Deutsche Post DHL Group
voestalpine Railway Systems
Heineken Group / Brau Union Österreich
UniCredit Bank Austria
Raiffeisen Bank International
REWE International AG
The Carlyle Group
Deutsche Private Equity
Ali Group S.p.A.
- Advised ADEG on the sale of a cash and carry business belonging to C & C Abholgroßmärkte Gesellschaft to METRO Austria.
- Representing Brau Union in a case before Austrian Cartel Court concerning legal professional privilege and the Competition Authority.
- Advising Ali Group on its take-over of Welbilt.
CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH‘s competition practice group is characterised by a strong track record, and covers the full range of competition law from advice on cartels, vertical agreements, merger control, distribution agreements, state aid, foreign direct investments and compliance, to private antitrust litigation. Led by Bernt Elsner and Dieter Zandler, the team acts for domestic and international claimants and defendants in multiple jurisdictions, often at the intersection of public procurement law. Due to its strong global network, the team can provide its local and international clients with a comprehensive dawn raid package.
Bernt Elsner; Dieter Zandler
‘Very experienced group of lawyers; effective work collaboration; individuals have a strong knowledge base so special experts are only pulled in when needed.’
‘Hold commitments, stick to deadlines, deliver quality.’
‘Very professional, good cooperation.’
Mayr-Melnhof Holz Group
Oaktree Capital Management
BBC Studios and Granada Media
SFS Group International
- Advising Siemens Austria on competition matters during the sale of Siemens Gebäudemanagement & -Services to Apleona.
- Advising Swedish multinational medical devices company Atos Medical on Austrian merger control issues in connection with its acquisition of Tracoe Group.
- Advising Greiner on all competition law aspects in connection with the sale of its extrusion division, including real estate in Austria and the Czech Republic, to the Dutch-German investment company Nimbus.
Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG‘ EU and competition law practice is active across a breadth of industries, with a focus on retail, consumer products, financial services, pharmaceuticals, construction, transport, chemicals and TMT. The team’s workload includes mandates relating to cartel litigation and high-profile merger control proceedings at EU level, as well as abuse of dominant position, distribution, and private enforcement cases. Guenter Bauer heads up the practice, supported by Robert Wagner, who is a key contact for EU competition and state aid law.
Other key lawyers:
Robert Wagner; Anca Jurcovan; Stefan Wartinger
‘Guenter Bauer is very knowledgeable and provides practical advice and is always reachable when I need him.’
‘They are always our go-to law firm for antitrust advice in Austria.’
‘Guenter Bauer is an exceptional lawyer, his team works quickly and efficiently under his instruction, and he gives clear directional advice. Whenever issues arise Guenter makes clear recommendations on how to proceed and he presents well to clients. His experience of Austrian merger control and success rate with filings is unrivalled.’
‘High level competition law team, super experienced and able to handle very complex cases.’
‘Guenter Bauer – extremely well experienced and senior in the market, very diplomatic style and perfectly linked to all relevant players in the competition law market, very good negotiation skills.’
‘Excellent knowledge of competition law, very friendly and natural attitude, very good overview and capability to orient within complex legal problems and structures. Truly exceed the client’s expectations.’
‘Bespoke services. Perfect impression.’
‘Highly responsive and able to handle complex matters at the forefront of Austrian and Eastern European law. Provides business-oriented and practical advice.’
Vienna Insurance Group
Ista Österreich GmbH
CPI Property Group
Brookfield Business Partners
Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile Austria GmbH
- Representing the Vienna Insurance Group in merger control proceedings with the European Commission in relation to its acquisition of AEGON’s insurance pension fund and asset management businesses in Hungary, Poland and Romania.
- Representing the buyer, Metro Group, in Austrian merger control proceedings regarding the client’s acquisition of REWE Group’s Austrian food wholesale business.
- Acting as lead merger control counsel to CPI Property Group in connection with its €3.2bn anticipatory mandatory takeover offer for all outstanding shares in Immofinanz , seeking to obtain merger control clearance in eight jurisdictions (Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia).
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG
With a focus on advising national and international clients in regulated industries and representing them in competition litigation, Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG‘s practice spans cartel litigation, merger control, abuse of dominant position, distribution, licensing and state aid matters. Headed by Andreas Traugott, the team has capabilities to simultaneously run complex multi-jurisdictional merger filings, FDI screening work, cartel investigations and leniency applications in multiple jurisdictions.
Other key lawyers:
Anita Lukaschek; Kateřina Schenková; Nina Lenhard
‘Baker McKenzie Austria has a strong antitrust practice which is well integrated into the global antitrust practice of Baker McKenzie; they have been hugely helpful on merger control issues and filing.’
‘Nina Lenhard stands out amongst the associates, great service level and knowledge.’
‘Very strong team.’
Schindler Elevator and Escalator Group
Worldline Financial Services (Europe) SA (formerly SIX Austria)
- Representing FCC Group, a major Austrian waste management company, in a cartel investigation.
- Defending Schindler against private enforcement claims in Austrian and European courts stemming from the Austrian elevator cartel case.
- Representing STRABAG in follow-on damages claims in connection with the Austrian construction cartel case.
Barnert Egermann Illigasch Rechtsanwälte GmbH's diverse client base spans a broad spectrum of industries, including media and entertainment, healthcare, logistics, and energy. Practice head Isabella Hartung is experienced in non-contentious work, including FDI screenings, as well as representation of domestic and international clients in contentious matters, including cartel proceedings.
Bertelsmann / Fremantle
EnBW Energie Baden Württemberg
EVN AG / Netz Niederösterreich
- Advised EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg on the acquisition of a 25.1% stake in e-mobility services provider SMATRICS & Co from VERBUND, and obtained unconditional Austrian merger clearance in phase 1.
- Advised PORR on merger control and other competition law aspects pertaining to the sale of PORREAL Group to Caverion Österreich.
- Advised Accenture on competition law aspects in connection with Accenture’s acquisition of Allgemeines Rechenzentrum, a technology service provider specialising in the Austrian banking sector.
DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH
DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach Rechtsanwälte GmbH routinely handles multi-jurisdictional merger control proceedings, dawn raids, on-site inspections, and abuse of dominant position proceedings. Due to the practice’s strong international network, the team – which includes competition law expert Claudine Vartian and counsel Nicole Daniel, who brings her expertise in international large-scale competition proceedings to the group – has capacities to support clients from various sectors in Austrian and EU procedures. Practice head Marc Lager joined the practice from Deloitte in December 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Claudine Vartian; Nicole Daniel
‘Hands-on approach and excellent business acumen.’
‘Marc Lager is very experienced and knowledgeable, provides clear guidance.’
MKS Instruments Inc.
Deere & Company
Philip Morris International Inc.
Asics Europe B.V.
- Representing Borealis in Austrian merger control proceedings relating to the establishment of a joint venture with German Reclay Group.
- Representing Deere & Company in Austrian merger control proceedings related to the indirect acquisition of 70% of the shares in Kreisel Electric.
- Representing Revalize in Austrian merger control proceedings related to the intended acquisition of German-based company PROCAD.
Headed by ‘pragmatic and highly skilled lawyer‘ Heinrich Kühnert, DORDA Rechtsanwälte GmbH‘s practice group profits from close cross-practice relationships, which translate into regular mandates at the intersection of public, competition and EU law. Other key team mebmers include of counsel Elisabeth König and associate Mirko Marjanovic, both of whom focus on antitrust matters. The team is well placed to represent national and international clients in complex and sensitive matters, more recently including an increasing volume of FDI control work.
Other key lawyers:
Elisabeth König; Mirko Marjanovic
‘DORDA’s EU and competition law team does not only have a crazy work ethic but also a unique understanding of our quite complex business cases and sales practices. Their particular strength is not to solve problems in isolation, but to find a practically applicable solution concept that can be perfectly implemented in our business.’
‘Heinrich Kühnert is a pleasure to work with. He stands out by perfectly combining his profound expertise of competition law with astounding knowledge of the industry. I am still trying to find a problem to which he cannot find a solution. We are always receiving excellent advice from Heinrich Kühnert and it is of course an added bonus when the lawyer we hire is also a great personal fit.’
‘Very skilled, very knowledgeable and precise.’
‘Heinrich Kühnert – very experienced when it comes to merger control and FDI control; you don’t have to worry about Austrian clearances in multi-jurisdictional transactions when Heinrich and his team is on board.’
‘DORDA’s team has very good knowledge of Austrian and EU competition law and always look for business-oriented solutions.’
‘Heinrich Kühnert is a pragmatic and highly skilled lawyer with a great deal of experience, especially regarding merger proceedings before the Austrian competition authority.’
‘The team is practical, responsive and efficient.’
‘Heinrich Kühnert is very pragmatic, knowledgeable and responsive, and gets things done quickly and efficiently.’
ÖBB Holding AG
Bayer Austria GmbH
Novartis Pharma Austria / Novartis Pharma GmbH
SAZKA Group (part of KKCG Group)
Canal+ (former M7 Group SA)
Rail Cargo Austria AG
- Representing Nichicon Corporation in proceedings before the European Court of Justice for the annulment of a fine imposed by the European Commission in the capacitors case.
- Representing Easypark in Austrian merger control proceedings regarding its acquisition of PARK NOW, the parking app joint venture between Mercedes and BMW.
- Representing Grifols, a manufacturer of plasma derived medicines, in Austrian merger control proceedings regarding its €1.6bn acquisition of German competitor Biotest.
Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH (SCWP Schindhelm) is particularly known for handling cartel investigations and compliance mandates on behalf of clients, as well as representing clients in multij-urisdictional antitrust proceedings. Practice head Christina Hummer is a key contact for cartel investigations, merger filings, and matters pertaining to abuse of dominant position and state aid. Competition law expert Markus Fellner acts in high-profile and sensitive matters, in particular representing national and international clients from the automotive and construction sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Markus Fellner; Wolfgang Lauss; Kristina Madunic
‘Christina Hummer is extremely knowledgeable in the field of European and Austrian antitrust law. When we have an antitrust issue that comes up in our work and that we feel requires more experience than we have, we can always contact her for first class – no fuss – advice including all potential remedies, European or Austrian, that may be available to the client.’
‘The team is very well coordinated, always in time and available, even when there are sometimes issues that need to be resolved promptly.’
‘An absolutely competent, friendly, trustworthy and serious team that offers pragmatic, tailor-made solutions for a company.’
‘Christina Hummer has always represented us excellently in antitrust issues. She patiently inquires with the client with great precision in order to correctly understand the industry-specific peculiarities and to be able to provide her advice in a targeted and timely manner. Due to her competence, we always had full confidence. We can highly recommend her in every respect.’
‘Has a very strong practice with key expertise in EU and multi-jurisdictional merger control.’
‘Markus Fellner is brilliant and also friendly and easy to work with.’
HABAU Hoch- und Tiefbaugesellschaft m.b.H.
Energie AG Oberösterreich Umwelt Service GmbH (EAG US)
dm-drogerie markt Verwaltungs GmbH
Employees of Kaefer Isoliertechnik GmbH
KTM AG / Pierer Mobility AG (formerly KTM Industries AG) (trademark)
Schmid Industrieholding GmbH
Pierer Industrie AG
Invest Unternehmensbeteiligungs AG
Heaven Seven GmbH
- Representing HABAU Hoch- und Tiefbaugesellschaft, the holding company of a major construction player, in antitrust proceedings before the Austrian AFCA and the Austrian Cartel Court (and in related criminal proceedings).
- Represented dm drogerie markt in a case in which the Austrian Supreme Court issued a competition judgment which clarified the concept of intergroup exemption.
Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH is known for handling national, EU, and multi-jurisdictional high-profile cases, including immunity applications, on-site inspections, and complex merger filings. Key industries include the automotive, tourism, healthcare, media, and aerospace sectors. Most notably, the team advises on competition law and state aid aspects of multiple green energy projects. Practice head Christian Mayer is reputed for handling landmark competition cases and time-critical merger control matters. Moritz Am Ende is another key contact, who advises clients on FDI, state aid and EU-related regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
Moritz Am Ende; Lena Kersch
‘The team at SMS is very reactive and to the point. They don’t create problems or issues where none are to be found, and they anticipate potential reactions from the Austrian Competition Authority very well.’
‘In our experience, the firm offers outstanding expertise paired with an impressive service level. The team evidently holds itself to very high standards and often goes “the extra mile”.’
‘Christian Mayer: exceptional specialist in antitrust law, has a solution-oriented economical approach combined with the ability to think quickly. Fast to grasp complex questions and legal situations, he sees the big picture, identifies and neither misses anything nor gets lost in detail. Uncommonly committed to his clients who he takes by the hand where necessary.’
‘Moritz Am Ende: academic analytical mind who finds the needle in a haystack when building strategy. Excellent at solving complex matters with great attention to detail.’
‘Lena Kersch: very conscientious, diligent, and eager, quick comprehension, swift communication.’
‘This law firm is a most positive example of excellent lawyers.’
‘Definitely the “go-to-firm” for sensitive matters. Solution-oriented, swift, economic approach backed by substantial expertise and outstanding in-depth knowledge. Christian Mayer sees the big picture, whilst having a remarkable eye for detail – regardless of the complexity of the matter. The team delivers practical advice succinctly and quickly.’
‘Moritz Am Ende stands out because of his intellectual superiority and depth of experience with the Austrian agency. No question is too complicated or new to him.’
Ampersand Management LLP
Association of Austrian Hoteliers (ÖHV)
KRONEHIT Radio BetriebsgmbH
Mediaprint Zeitungs- und Zeitschriftenverlag GmbH & Co KG
Montana Aerospace AG
Trans Austria Gasleitung GmbH
- Advising Montana Aerospace on the acquisition of the Brussels-based Asco group, a manufacturer of parts and components for the aerospace industry.
- Represented KRONEHIT, a private radio station, as an applicant, in proceedings before the Austrian Cartel Court concerning tariffs for the utilisation of copyright-protected music.
- Advising the Association of Austrian Hoteliers on a variety of competition law, state aid law, and general EU law issues.
Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH provides a broad competition, EU and trade offering, assisting clients with antitrust and penalty issues, dawn raids, FDI screenings, compliance management and multi-jurisdictional merger filings. The group, headed by Martin Eckel, also acts in cartel investigations and represents clients before the Austrian Competition Authority and cartel courts. Most recently, the team has been expanding its expertise in the area of whistleblowing.
Österreichischer Automobil-, Motorrad- und Touring Club
Österreichische Apotheker-Verlagsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Europapier Austria GmbH
- Advising Heinzel Group on the acquisition of UPM-Kymmene Austria, including assisting with merger control notification requirements in five jurisdictions (Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine).
MMRA - Michael Mayr
MMRA - Michael Mayr was established in May 2021 by the eponymous founding partner, who is regularly involved in complex merger transactions across various industries, and related investment control proceedings. A recent highlight for the firm includes advising Google on the Austrian merger control aspects of its $5.4bn acquisition of Mandiant.
‘I have had the chance to work directly with Michael Mayr and it was a real pleasure: he is effective, sharp and very nice.’
‘Michael Mayr is really competent, effective and a pleasure to team up with. Also, he is very helpful when it comes to fixing clients’ expectations, even in the context of competition practice where, as it is known, practitioners do not directly control an ongoing procedure, being subject mostly to the Authority’s timings (and moods).’
‘We think Michael Mayr stands out because he combines significant experience at EU level with similarly extensive experience with Austrian competition law.’
Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V.
- Advised Google on the Austrian merger control aspects of its $5.4bn acquisition of Mandiant.
- Advised Adevinta SAS on the Austrian merger control aspects of its acquisition of eBay’s online classified ads business and on eBay’s acquisition of a minority shareholding in Adevinta SAS.
- Advised Fomento Económico Mexicano on the Austrian merger control aspects of its US$ 1.2bn public take-over offer for Valora.
Schindler Attorneys' competition department is run and headed by Philippe Kiehl, who assists national and international clients with a wide range of competition law matters across several industries. Most notably, his work includes merger control matters, FDI screenings, and related litigation.
‘We valued the fact that Philippe Kiehl is a real expert about EU and Austrian competition law as well as foreign investment control areas. He proactively communicated with us and provided us with clear and reasonable directions and detailed instructions, which helped us very much to make our deal to be completed by the intended timeline.’
‘Philippe Kiehl knows our field of business well and we get advice tailored to our situation. He does this efficiently and is to the point.’
MAN Truck & Bus
- Representing Fujifilm in merger control and investment control proceedings in Austria, and co-ordinating investment control proceedings in Slovenia relating to the client’s acquisition of its former distributors in Austria and Slovenia.
- Represented Aptean in an FDI proceeding in Austria relating to the client’s acquisition of MN IT Beteiligung, resulting in Phase II clearance.