Led by managing partner Catarina Levy Osório and Irina Neves Ferreira, ALC Advogados provides a broad service, covering innovative infrastructure projects, energy project development and investment management, among other areas. Levy Osório has corporate and private investment expertise; Neves Ferreira is particularly strong in the real estate, oil and gas and insurance sectors. The firm is the Angolan member of the Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados international network.
Local firms in Angola
Catarina Levy Osório; Irina Neves Ferreira
AVM focuses on foreign investments in a broad range of industries and is also specialised in projects in the country's prominent oil and gas sector. In addition, the firm has developed particular strength in banking and finance transactions in recent years. António Vicente Marques leads the team; his broad business law experience seems him handling a range of energy projects and tax matters. Recent highlights for the department include work for major contractor Actuant and beverage company Diageo. Sandra Teixeira da Silva is also a key contact, and stands out for her expertise in dispute resolution.
António Vicente Marques
Other key lawyers:
Sandra Teixeira da Silva
Distell International, Ltd.
Standard Chartered Bank
As Tig Invest
International Finance Corporation
Mundo Startel, Telecomunicações, S.A.
Ohorongo Cement “PTY” LTD
Pensana Metals Ltd
SNC Lavalin Angola
Telstar Telecomunicações, Lda.
Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc.
Tuboscope Vetco Capital Limited
- Assisting Actuant i) in connection with the contracts for the supply of services to the oil & gas sector; ii) in relation to the closing / dissolution of an Angolan entity; and iii) structuring and preparing the potential plan for opening and implementing a new entity in Angola.
- Advised Diageo on a new $6m partnership with Refriango.
- Acted for a banking syndicate in an operation which involved, at a first stage, the establishment of a Global Medium-Term Note Programme (GMTN) for the issuance of public debt under the form of Eurobonds and, at a subsequent stage, an initial $3bn drawdown.
Since its inception in 2017, Dentons LEAD has established itself as 'a firm with strong skills' and 'important knowledge of the Angolan market'. Clients include major domestic players, including Banco Postal, Sonangol and TV Zimbo, as well as international names in various industries. Djamila Pinto de Andrade is in charge of banking, corporate and private investment; António Caxito Marques is the main disputes contact; João Manuel Lourenço heads the labour department; Emanuela Vunge manages the tax and energy departments; and Raquel Lourenço is the head of real estate.
Other key lawyers:
Emanuela Vunge; António Caxito; João Manuel Lourenço; Djamila Pinto de Andrade; Raquel Lourenço
‘A firm with strong skills and also an important knowledge of the Angolan market.’
Ministry of Finance of Angola
Tosyali Holding Sonangol EP
Orascom Investment Holding
Aliança Global Empreendimentos
TV Zimbo (TV Network)
Hemera Capital Markets
Fresenius Medical Care
- Advised the Republic of Angola, as local counsel, on the establishment of a London-listed Global Medium Term Note for the issue of its international sovereign debt, as well as its $3bn dual-tranche international bond issue.
- Advised Tosyali regarding the concession of mining rights for the exploration of iron ore at the Kassinga Mining-Steel Project.
- Assisted ING Bank in respect of seven export credit facility agreements in relation to the contract for the development, engineering, supply, supervision, construction and testing of seven solar power plants in Angola.
ADCA Advogados balances a broad practice and is well versed in transactions in a range of sectors, with recent instructions coming from companies in the real estate, beverages and logistics sectors, among others. Practice head Luís Filipe Carvalho advises on the structuring of investments in Angola, corporate law and real estate matters, including cross-border transactions and project finance. At the senior associate level, Islândia Ribeiro is a key contact for all employment-related work and Joana Matos Lima has notable banking and finance expertise.
Luís Filipe Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
Islândia Ribeiro; Joana Matos Lima
‘The team communicates very clearly and always provides comprehensive and detailed information (usually anticipating our additional questions); requests are responded to in a timely manner; the team has the initiative of following-up on pending issues to make sure all matters gets resolved as soon as possible.‘
‘Very competent in providing legal services for international clients.‘
‘We worked with Luís Filipe Carvalho and Joana Matos Lima. They are very professional. We highly value their experiences and profession in TMT and PE area.‘
‘We particularly work with Luís Filipe Carvalho. He is a very experienced professional, in legal matters and Angolan idiosyncrasy & culture. He is very accessible for meeting or conversation. He is very practical in the way he organizes the legal strategy on any matter and the implementation of the same. I would like to highlight the great help of the lawyer Islândia Ribeiro for labour matters.‘
‘In-depth understanding of the issues and operating environment. Clarity in legal advice/counsel provided. Providing solutions/suggestions on various alternatives/solutions (where applicable). Respect for deadlines.‘
‘Islândia Ribeiro presents a very good experience, especially in labour issues. Presents a very a good job and she is always available.‘
‘Joana Matos Lima is a very experienced lawyer with strong expertise in banking and financial industry. We as clients are very satisfied with this exceptional team.‘
‘Luís Filipe Carvalho presents a strong background and experience in many areas of legal matters, and always give us a high quality service, showing security, reasoned and clarified in legal technical opinions. He is always available to respond to our needs.‘
Banco Comercial Huambo
SIEP Real Estate
FAMAR Oil & Gas
AMT Advanced Maritime Transports
Laborex (Toyota Group)
Brands Partner Group
- Advising Pernod Ricard on its activities and strategies in Angola, covering a range of practice areas.
- Advising Advanced Maritime Transports on all legal matters, including corporate, commercial, employment, litigation, regulatory and tax.
- Acting for Famar on all its finance, corporate, compliance, commercial, employment and international contractual matters.
Standout instructions in mining, utilities projects and sports law were among the broad range of matters handled by BCSA – Advogados in 2020. Sandra Saraiva is the name to note for real estate and construction work. The firm is praised for being 'process-driven, technology-enabled and client-oriented' and has a close association with PLMJ and its Angola desk. João Bravo da Costa left the firm in April 2021.
‘Personalized service, and competent and fast results.’
‘Confidence, closeness, personal attention and diagnostic accuracy of situations.’
‘The extremely positive attitude and responsiveness of the team makes it unique. The BCSA are practically part of our team and understand very well the intricacies of our business and of our operational challenges.’
‘Responsiveness, engagement, proactive attitude and bilingual.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the fact that they are process-driven, technology-enabled, and client-oriented, offering us cost-effective legal support and a streamlined, efficient service that always satisfy us. They also always seeking for our feedback and we have not been disappointed. BCSA were able to select an appropriate team for the instruction, coordinated all the administration and delivered a quality product ahead of time. They adapted to our needs every time.’
‘We feel very confident with the individuals that work directly with us, they have unsurpassed abilities to represent us. They stand behind us and give us the tools and resources we need to ensure successful results.’
Baker Hugues General Electric (BHGE)
Banco de Fomento de Angola
Clínica Sagrada Esperança
Angola LNG Limited
Quantum Global Group
Internet Technologies Angola
- Advising Baker Hughes General Electric with its day-to-day operations from a corporate, employment and labour, tax and litigation perspective.
- Acting for Alrosa on its day-to-day mining operations and with new joint venture agreements to be established for new projects, among others, in the Luaxe Project.
- Assisting Be Water in the Angolan province of Lunda Norte to rehabilitate the water supply chain and allow this province of Angola to have access to drinking water.
Fátima Freitas Advogados
Fátima Freitas Advogados is a full-service firm that covers Angola's key industries, with a particular strength in oil and gas projects. It partners with Miranda & Associados to give closer support to international clients.
FBL Advogados advises on corporate, real estate and private investment law and is also noted for its strength in dispute resolution. It has a close relationship with leading Portuguese firm Abreu Advogados.
Domestic and international companies operating in the construction, oil and gas, real estate and technology sectors turn to FTL Advogados for advice on projects in Angola. Managing partner Filipa Tavares De Lima has a strong reputation in corporate, commercial and real estate law, and has also been increasingly active in the field of labour and employment during 2020.
Filipa Tavares de Lima
‘Full understanding of laws and regulations. Proactivity and solution provider for situations. Timely response.’
‘Filipa Lima is very professional and skillful on the support provided to us.’
Jembas Assistência Técnica
Angoil Bumi JV
JICA – Japan International Cooperation Agency
YBE / Crown Energy
Greentech – Angola Env
- Advising Multiparques, an Angolan logistics company, on a public tender for the award of the public service concession contract for the management and operation of Luanda’s Port Multipurpose Terminal.
- Assisting Angola Environment Technology in the negotiation of a joint venture agreement with Total-Eren, to incorporate a vehicle in Angola to develop a solar plant in Angola.
- Advised Chinese public works companies on public procurement and regulation, as well as public procurement contract revision, for the provision of services in Angola in excess of $300m.
ASP Advogados is closely associated with major Portuguese firm VdA and advises on a variety of matters, with a focus on projects and project finance. António Penelas heads the firm and has experience in labour, disputes and mining law. Managing associates Vanusa Gomes and Joana Pacheco are both heavily involved across the range of matters. The firm acts as local counsel on significant oil and gas projects alongside VdA and its head of practice João Afonso Fialho.
Other key lawyers:
Vanusa Gomes; Joana Pacheco
KT – Kinetics Technology
Schlumberger – Angola
Meteo France International
- Assisting Biocom, a major Angolan bioethanol, sugar and electricity producer, in all its activities, mainly with the restructuring of two loans.
- Assisting KT – Kinetics Technology in connection with bidding for and implementation of an optimisation project for the Luanda refinery.
- Advising Schlumberger in the respective judicial inventory proceedings for the relatives of two former Schlumberger’s employees who passed away in a helicopter crash in 2015.