Foreign firms in Angola
Highly regarded Portuguese firm Abreu Advogados maintains a strong focus on the Angola market, where it cooperates with leading local firm FBL Advogados. Many of its clients operate in the TMT, energy, infrastructure, construction and natural resources sectors, and the firm also counts notable banks among its clients. Corporate and M&A partner Fernando Veiga Gomes has developed a niche specialism in sports law; Guilherme Santos Silva specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration; and José Eduardo Martins is an expert in environmental law. José Maria Corrêa de Sampaio and Marta Romano de Castro are also key contacts.
Fernando Veiga Gomes; Guilherme Santos Silva
Standard Chartered Bank
With 'profound knowledge of the Angolan market and strong expertise in all areas of law', FCB Sociedade de Advogados has established itself as a leading firm for Angola work. In a significant highlight, Pedro Guimaraes advised National Geographic Society on the regulatory and commercial aspects of the creation of a new national park on the border of Angola, Namibia and Botswana. The highly regarded João Robles leads the team. EVC Advogados is the local partner.
‘FCB has a profound knowledge of the Angolan market and strong expertise in all areas of law, being able to provide very solid technical legal advice adjusted with the local reality and specifications.‘
‘They are unique because they know every single key aspect of doing business in Angola. They deliver value for money work.‘
‘Efficient, responsive and technically sound.‘
‘They have provided excellent and in-depth service with the bonus of being very quick to respond. Clearly a top-level firm.‘
‘João Robles is outstanding.‘
‘João Robles leads the team. More than a brilliant lawyer, he is a true adviser in our most important business strategy decisions.‘
‘I have worked with João Robles and he is an excellent lawyer. Very knowledgeable, very responsive, always providing top-notch advice.‘
‘I would also highlight the work of Cláudia Fernandes Veloso, who is always available to assist on last minute requests and is capable to provide excellent advice.‘
‘Rodrigo Barbosa Souto is always available to solve problems, and is very pragmatic.‘
National Geographic Society
EMIS (Empresa Interbancária de Serviços)
Red Sea Housing
- Advised National Geographic Society on the creation of a new national park.
- Assisted União – Comércio de Automóveis with the negotiation of two sale-and-leaseback agreements with a local Angolan bank.
- Advised BNP Paribas Fortis on a new facility with the Ministry of Finance of Angola.
Miranda & Associados
The 'extremely knowledgeable' team at Portuguese firm Miranda & Associados has been operating in Angola for several decades, in which time it has established a strong reputation in the market. Its clients include household name companies in the energy and oil and gas sectors. 'Dynamic problem-solver' Rita Correia specialises in energy and tax, while Mafalda Oliveira Monteiro heads the banking and finance practice. In team developments, tax specialist Maria Figueiredo was promoted to partner in 2018.
‘The team is experienced and has great local knowledge. They also have a good relationship with regulators which is useful in clarifying issues.‘
‘Extremely knowledgeable and commercially orientated.‘
‘Rita Correia is a quick thinker and dynamic problem-solver.‘
‘Maria Figueiredo is a tax lawyer of reference, capable of maximising the comparative law knowledge from operating in various jurisdictions for the benefit of her clients.‘
‘Mafalda Monteiro and Bruno Sampaio Santos have great knowledge in the oil and gas market.‘
Bruno Xavier de Pina heads the Angola desk at PLMJ; he has over 15 years of experience in Angola-related work and focuses primarily on foreign investment. The team - which cooperates with local firm BCSA – Advogados - has recently won a number of new clients, from start-ups to multinational conglomerates. Other key contacts in the team include projects specialist Inês Pinto da Costa, who has experience in infrastructure, energy and PPPs, and senior associate Ruben Brigolas.
Bruno Xavier de Pina
‘PLMJ provides us with very prompt and professional legal advice.‘
‘Rúben Brigolas and Bruno Xavier de Pina very quickly respond to our requests and provide professional and detailed legal advice.‘
GE Capital EFS Financing, INC
MATRA (SODOSA GROUP)
SODOSA S.A (Conglomerate, former Cabire Group)
SUEZ – DEGRÉMONT SAS
Express Support Services
- Assisted a major airline with a foreign exchange matter.
- Ongoing assistance to Atlético Petróleos de Luanda, especially with respect to the players’ contracts.
'Very modern' firm Raposo Bernardo is noted for its 'vast geographic reach in African Portuguese-speaking countries'. It has an impressive banking and finance practice, where it acts for leading international banks. Outside of the financial services space, the team is well versed in the oil and gas and aviation sectors, among others. Ana Cláudia Rangel and Nelson Raposo Bernardo are key names.
Ana Cláudia Rangel
‘Raposo Bernardo’s vast geographic reach in African Portuguese-speaking countries serves our global needs, while the firm’s strong local practices ensure close ties with us where necessary.’
‘For important and complex operations, Raposo Bernardo is the best. The team is very modern and presents flawless technical skills.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo is clearly distinct; the firm is very dynamic and offers an innovative approach.‘
‘They are very cohesive and always up to date with the status of matters.‘
‘We need solutions, and that’s what they deliver, quickly and efficiently.‘
‘Ana Cláudia Rangel is very experienced and totally comfortable with our business. She always presents the best solutions and is always available.‘
‘Nelson Raposo Bernardo is our trusted lawyer in all times. He is a true expert and always shows confidence. He is always capable of coming up with a solution, no matter how complex the issue.‘
‘Ana Cláudia Rangel is a very experienced lawyer in Angola; very quick and efficient, and focused on results.‘
‘I highlight Nelson Bernardo for his technical competence, mastery of the legal framework of the markets, and for his know-how.‘
‘Joana Correia is very strong in the legislation of each country, and in comparative law.‘
- Handled a due diligence exercise for a client in relation to development funding.
- Advised a bank on the negotiation process and preparation of a bank financing agreement relating to the acquisition of commercial aircraft.
VdA maintains a strong focus on Angola, where it receives a steady flow of work from longstanding clients, which include leading multinational companies active in diverse sectors. It has also recently attracted several new clients. In one highlight, the team advised Météo-France on the implementation of an ambitious modernisation project for Inamet, the Angolan National Meteorological Service. Practice head João Afonso Fialho and senior associate Ângela Viana are noted.
João Afonso Fialho
‘Comprehensive knowledge of the Angolan legislation from mineral legislation through to the complexities of the interface between Angolan legislation and other offshore jurisdictions.‘
KT – Kinetics Technology
- Advised Météo-France on a modernisation project for Inamet.
- Advising Webcor on the preliminary due diligence of a mining portfolio and farm-in of diversified mining concessions.
- Advising Seadrill Group on its joint venture for the operation and management of four drillships within Angolan waters.
Clifford Chance stands out for its expertise in solar power projects, and also has a solid track record in a range of other energy and infrastructure projects. The firm is also renowned for its banking and finance practice, and counts local and international banks and financial services companies among its clients. Pieter Van Welzen in Amsterdam is the key contact. André de Sousa Vieira left to join Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados in 2020.
Pieter Van Welzen
- Advising GE Capital on the refinancing of a $1.6bn term facility agreement with the Ministry of Finance of Angola for the purchase of turbine generator equipment and related services.
- Assisted JBIC with its agreement with The Republic of Angola for financing to Angola to purchase equipment from Japanese corporates to complete the development of port of Namibe.
Energy law experts in Mayer Brown's Brazil and Houston offices are active in Angola, where they advise major oil and gas companies on their operations and projects in the country. Alexandre Chequer is the co-head of the firm's global energy and oil and gas teams; special counsel Norman Nadorff is a key contact in Houston.
Alexandre Chequer; Gonçalo Falcão; Paulo Rage
Single Buoy Moorings
Velaris (former Ensco)
TGS – NOPEC
Heerema Marine Contrators
- Acted for TGS – Nopec on its negotiation with an Angolan partner towards setting up a joint venture in Angola to provide seismic multi-client surveys.
- Acted for Eurofarma on its negotiation with an Angolan partner towards constructing a plant in Angola for the local fabrication and packaging of medicines.
- Advised a client on the Angola customs regime and how to implement a trading structure between Brazil and Angola.
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados has an active practice in Portuguese-speaking African countries, cooperating with ALC Advogados in Angola. Its multidisciplinary team covers corporate, finance, energy and tax, among other areas. Eduardo Verde Pinho and Luís Gagliardini Graça head the team from Porto. Managing partner Nuno Galvão Teles is a key contact in the Lisbon office. André de Sousa Vieira joined in 2020.
Eduardo Verde Pinho; Luís Gagliardini Graça
- Advised two banks on the financing for an agricultural project in Angola.
- Advised a hotel owner on the construction of a new hotel in Luanda.
- Assisted an investment fund with foreign investment issues relating to the development of an industrial park.
The Angola desk at CMS advises on projects in the real estate, tourism, energy and oil and gas sectors. The team, which is led by Patrick Dewerbe and Tiago Machado Graça, also advises clients on day-to-day corporate and commercial matters. FTL Advogados is the local partner.
Patrick Dewerbe; Tiago Machado Graça
‘The firm is client-centric and follows up closely on the scope assigned to them. Good communication to update the client on the timeline anticipated.‘
Linklaters LLP has a notable track record in major energy and infrastructure deals in Africa, including in Angola. Banking and projects specialist Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho heads the Lusophone Africa practice from Lisbon; Andrew Jones heads the Africa group from London.
Andrew Jones; Francisco Ferraz de Carvalho; Diogo Plantier Santos
A multidisciplinary team at Cuatrecasas advises oil and gas, energy and financial services companies on their operations in Angola. The firm partners with Elsa Sousa Rodrigues Advogados in Luanda. André Duarte Figueira heads the oil, gas and mining practice.
Maria João Ricou; André Duarte Figueira
DHL Oil + Gas
Deutsche Bank Spain
Banco Caixa Geral Angola
Banco Angolano de Investimentos
Silver Point Capital
- Advised DHL Oil + Gas on a joint venture agreement.
- Acted for Banco Caixa Geral Angola in an environmental license and litigation appeal regarding a decision from the Ministry of Environment.
- Providing ongoing legal assistance to the minority shareholder interests of Silver Point Capital in Oi Brazil, regarding Unitel, the largest telecoms company in Angola.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
Miguel Castro Pereira heads the Africa group at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo; he has broad experience across banking, capital markets, projects, corporate transactions and dispute resolution. Miguel de Avillez Pereira is another key contact.
Miguel Castro Pereira
Banco de Poupança e Crédito (BPC) and Recrédito
AHRA – Associação dos Hotéis e Resorts de Angola
- Advised Eaglestone on the incorporation of a securities broker and an asset management company.
- Advised Banco de Poupança e Crédito and Recrédito on the structuring of ABS securities.
- Assisted Paraurbana with the incorporation of a real estate management company.