Personal tax, trusts and probate in Yorkshire And The Humber
Wrigleys Solicitors LLP, which was founded in 1996, is a specialist private client, families and trusts firm, attracting complex work - covering wills, trust advice and creation, probate, estate planning, succession planning, pre and post nuptials and tax advice - from both regional and national clients, including more than a quarter of the richest 100 families in the Yorkshire region. The caseload in this area is divided between a team for wills, trusts & probate for injured, disabled and vulnerable clients (led by Lynne Bradey) and trust management services, led by Marie-Louise Hamilton, who oversees the whole practice alongside Andrew Wriglesworth , who heads the landed estates section of the private client department, specialising in tax planning. Julia Boyes - described as 'the best private client solicitor outside London' - is also highly recommended.
Marie-Louise Hamilton; Andrew Wriglesworth
‘A super team with depth and strength of knowledge combined with a personal approach.’
‘Wrigleys have an intimate and detailed knowledge of complicated trust structures and their clients can rely on them for sound and appropriate advice on a large variety of matters.’
‘Outstanding service in the field of tax-related trust and difficult IHT questions.’
‘Julia Boyes has an ourtstanding reputation; I have heard her described by a London Chancery QC as the best private client solicitor outside London. I have used her and agree.’
‘Julia Boyes has a deep understanding of the trust structure, together with the requirement, aims and objectives of individual family members. Julia is a key adviser for us.’
‘Julia Boyes is outstanding – helpful, responsive and a pleasure to work with’
- Administering the UK assets of a French citizen.
- Will, estate and succession planning for ultra high net worth private client with complex business and property interests and family circumstances.
- Acting as trustee on a deceased’s will trust (and three other family trusts) where the life tenant had serious mental health issues, as did her daughter, a beneficiary of one of the family trusts as well as the will trust.
- Advising trustees on a recommended cash offer to buy shares from fellow shareholders. This was an unusual transaction because the terms of the trust were restrictive and unusual and they contained various pre-emption rights in favour of an employee ownership trust.
- Advising on an offer in lieu in situ of a number of important pieces of furniture in an estate which are in satisfaction of various inheritance tax liabilities.
Addleshaw Goddard is recognised for its 'very powerful' offering to high net worth individuals, trust companies and an increasing number of international clients, to which it provides 'pragmatic' advice in different areas. The team is described as 'very strong' and as having 'breadth of expertise', especially in the use of trusts in a commercial context, and aimed at consumer protection issues. The department is led by Pervinder Kaur and sits within the firm's corporate division – enabling clients to benefit from the expertise of lawyers in different departments, such as banking, litigation and employment. Main areas of activity are residence, domicile and tax issues, family governance and property structures.
Other key lawyers:
Yorke Eaton; Charlotte Smart
The staff are problem solvers and help clients effectively.
‘Yorke Eaton is pragmatic and a problem solver, helping clients effectively. He is extremely well connected and advises some of the most significant business owners, families and trusts.’
‘Joe Cobb is a great member of the team – he works well with clients and is able to flex his style to be effective with client personalities.’
‘The breadth of experience within the team is very strong, which makes the overall offering very powerful. They have a quality client base, which they build from in terms of experience and knowledge.’
Zedra Trust Company (UK) Limited
- Advised NFU Mutual on its internal policies for dealing with bereavement, vulnerable customers and powers of attorney.
- Advice to trustees on will trusts valued at c.£280m which include a significant holding in a UK Plc.
- Acting as the trustees of family settlements worth over £45m.
- Acting as advisers to the trustees of family settlements holding assets worth over £160m, regularly advising on the duties of the trustees, indemnity issues, capital tax planning, residency issues, trust administration and distributions from the trusts.
- Creation of trusts to protect assets and maximise business property relief of a substantial holding of private company shares, advising on asset structuring and inheritance mitigation including substantial investment into woodland and commercial forestry.
Andrew Jackson Solicitors LLP’s tax, trusts and wills department advises private individuals and business owners on all aspects of trust administration (including drafting deeds and resolutions, interpretation of trust deeds and completing accounts and tax returns) as well as Court of Protection matters. Kevin Webster, a chartered tax adviser, heads up the team and is well regarded for his skills in estate and succession planning and the creation and administration of trusts.
Kevin Webster; Peter Duffus
‘Highly regarded in its field and in the region.
‘Very approachable and knowledgeable in their field.’
‘Senior solicitor Amy Floater is the ultimate professional and will always put the best interests of the impacted party at the forefront of any decision, without sacrificing the immediate standard of living of the impacted individual. Amy shows high levels of empathy in what can be very difficult circumstances.’
‘Nothing short of exceptional.’
Clarion’s private client practice, which is highly regarded in the market, is led by estate and succession planning specialist Vivienne Wild. It advises business owners, entrepreneurs as well as accountancy firms and financial services’ professionals on matters of estate planning - increasingly featuring an international element - capital taxes and trusts in connection with transactional and succession planning. The team also has mental capacity expertise, handling Court of Protection cases and complex mental capacity disputes. Legal director Clare King as plays a key role in some of the team's most important work.
Other key lawyers:
Lynsey Harrison; Clare King
‘A large and highly experienced team who regularly deal with high value and complex work.’
‘Professional and friendly.’
‘Vivienne Wild is very knowledgeable on trust and estate law and leads a strong team.’
‘Vivienne Wilde is a highly experienced and able practitioner. In my experience there is no one in Leeds who deals with the weight and complexity of work that she does.
‘Stephanie Parish is a very able lawyer who can deal with work of all levels of complexity.’
‘The whole team are knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.’
Estate of the late Mr J W Heselden OBE
- Dealing with the administration of the estate of millionaire businessman Jimi Heselden, who died in 2010.
Irwin Mitchell’s tax, trust and estates team is 'expanding and enthusiastic', with senior associate Andrea Jones joining from Ward Hadaway in early 2018 to build up the firm's offering in Leeds and support Gillian Coverley's team in Sheffield. They now often work in unison, advising a growing client base on matters of wills and estate planning, elderly and vulnerable clients, probate, tax compliance and advisory and trust administration. The firm also prides itself in educating members of the Yorkshire community by delivering seminars, attended by national experts, to financial advisers and wealth managers.
Gillian Coverley; Andrea Jones; Paula Myers (National Head of tax, trusts and states)
Other key lawyers:
Emma McCann; Andrea Jones
‘Good experience, professional and knowledgeable.’
‘Andrea Jones has a quiet confident manner, shows great understanding of problems and gives excellent advice.’
‘Andrea Jones is understanding, patient and tentative to client needs.’
‘Andrea Jones is fantastic to work with, she is attentive to clients, her technical skills are exceptional and clients love working with her.’
‘Gillian Coverley gives clear, cogent and to-the-point advice.
‘Andrea Jones has consistently made an excellent impression on referrals I have made to her, to the extent that our family used her for power of attorney and wills. She is my automatic choice if asked to provide a legal referral for high net worth individuals.’
‘Gillian Coverley always has time to provide guidance and leads her team by example.’
‘Paula Myers is a leader in the field, and Andrea Jones is one to watch.’
Nationwide Building Society
Leeds Building Society
Macmillan Cancer Support
Link Corporate Trustees Limited
Lord Clarke Limited
- Administration of UK trust for non-domiciled individual worth over £3m.
- Advised on double estate administration which involved complex IHT and CGT issues.
- Handled estate planning and structuring advice for clients with US implications and Italian assets.
- Provided estate planning advice for French property.
- Proving English will of client where there was a later Barbadian will, which involved detailed negotiation with Barbadian lawyers.
The service at LCF Law, which is described as 'personal and outstanding', went through a strategic review and rebrand in 2014, when offer packages and fixed fees were introduced for most areas of the practice in order to achieve certainty over costs for clients. The team, led by Neil Shaw, specializes in applications to the Court of Protection, in preparing both lasting powers of attorney for health and welfare and for property and financial affairs and in helping people with learning disabilities. The firm's work within the art and heritage community is also highlighted, particularly in wills with artistic legacies, inheritance tax planning and disputes relating to ownership or validity of artworks, sponsorship and lender agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Ann Christian; Mark Jones
‘Their knowledge of their area of law is impressive.’
‘LCF Law stand head and shoulders above many Yorkshire law firms. They are also exceptionally nice people to deal with.’
‘An efficient and professional service – their lawyers are always helpful and take care to explain processes and timeframes.’
‘Very confident in giving balanced advice and discussing options. Quick and efficient at completing the work. Flexible in making changes if required. Open and frank about fee charges.’
‘Kelly Edmundson who is exceptionally personable to all age groups, which is important when dealing with difficult family matters. Her advice is concise and confidently given and she quickly builds a trusting relationship with clients. She understands what clients want which I believe makes her stand out from so many lawyers. We have recommended her to several families who have also been impressed.’
‘I was hugely impressed by Neil Shaw – he gave excellent advice on wills and trust matters.’
- Acting for a window resident in Pakistan who brought a claim against the estate of her English domiciled husband.
- The firm established that deathbed changes to a client’s pension arrangements did not constitute a taxable event, which saved the beneficiaries of a pension fund in the region of £200,000.
- Advising a client on estate planning for their multimillion-pound art collection and on the running of their charitable trust.
- Creating and running two separate trusts in order to receive and manage a compensation payment for a vulnerable beneficiary up to a maximum value of £500,000.
- Investigated and administered a complex estate which involved significant fraudulent investments.
Lupton Fawcett’s private client team has a strong reputation within the market, advising landed estates and the owners of SMEs and family businesses in the areas of tax planning and overseas jurisdiction, estate administration and agricultural succession.
Other key lawyers:
Tricia Carter; Amanda Simmonds; Howard Rutter
The 'wonderful' Rachel Tunnicliffe heads a 'highly talented' team of private lawyers at Raworths, who are particularly sought out for their work in international tax planning issues and taxation of foreign structures in the UK including wealth devolution and capital tax mitigation, as well as succession planning, structuring of company equity, drafting of partnerships and trusts. Tunnicliffe is a trusted adviser for her clients and is 'excellent' at overseeing families’ affairs. Peter Greswold is a highly regarded senior member of the practice, while the team was recently boosted by the addition of former Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP legal director Caroline Hedges, who joined as a partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sophisticated London advice, at much more competitive prices.’
‘Has the expertise and ability to support individuals and businesses with their needs. They are well connected in the local area and have good links in the wider business community.’
‘They have an excellent manner with clients and are able to put them at ease, whilst explaining complex subjects.’
‘Rachel Tunnicliffe is proficient and driven and looks after the needs of her clients, linking them with individuals who can enhance their business relationships.’
‘Peter Greswold has a realistic commercial approach to issues and guides clients with firm, sensible advice.’
‘Alison Walker is a great talent and Jessica Toller provides first class support.’
‘Rachel Tunnicliffe and Sam Jenner are two standout individuals. Rachel is a trusted adviser for her clients and is excellent at overseeing families’ affairs.’
‘Peter Greswold has a deep understanding of international tax planning issues.’
- Provision of all legal and administrative services for a charitable foundation.
- Year-round advice and services to an state, with recent examples being a hydroelectric project and property acquisition for development.
- Advising three generations of a family on family trusts, the sale of shareholdings and reinvestment, powers of attorney, wills and IHT matters.
- Wide ranging succession planning for a family with significant investment and commercial assets, including adapting longstanding structures for current circumstances.
- Advising a HNW client on a funeral plan trust, as well as advising on GDPR and other data protection aspects.
Well-regarded former Mills & Reeve LLP partner Julia Rangecroft joined Shulmans LLP in December 2018 to head up the firm's private wealth team, incorporating the previous contentious trusts and estates and private client offerings, which include advisory and private capital transactional support services. The firm is expecting to grow the team further to reach nine lawyers over the course of 2019. The practice is now in a position to offer personal and professional wealth and capital advice alongside the existing corporate and commercial offerings.
‘The team are very sympathetic to issues and have a practical approach to resolving problems.’
Statutory Will application by Deputy
Client – Executor and Beneficiary
- Application by a Deputy to the Court of Protection for a statutory will.
- Acting for an executor and beneficiary regarding a contested will.
- Advising on a dispute between two brothers over their late father’s estate.
- Acting on a long-running dispute between siblings over their late parents’ estates.
- Acting for a professional probate and wills provider to undertake work in supporting the estate administration service provided by it.
Harrowells Solicitors, which is based in York, helps its roster clients – which includes SMEs and local businesses – administer their private wealth in the form of property, business ownership or agricultural land. The firm's main areas of expertise are family trusts, succession planning and probate matters. Partner and STEP lawyer Ed Ryder heads up the department.
Other key lawyers:
Philip Nelson; Nick Clarke; Lauren Hooghiemstra-Maughan
Keebles' Sheffield hub covers the South Yorkshire market, providing solutions to capital tax problems and large estate administration. The wider team, which is spread across the firm's Doncaster, Leeds and Sheffield offices, has seen the addition of two senior associates in the past year. Michele Wightman is head of the practice and very active in the local community, while also featuring regularly on BBC Radio Sheffield to field questions from listeners.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised on cross border estate administration.
- Acted on complex estate with Court of Protection involvement.
- Handled the administration of a tax complicated estate.
- Administered large tax complicated estate.
- Handled administration of large insolvent estate.
Mills & Reeve LLP's private client team acts for UK and international families, estates, trustees and companies, with a specialist team under the national direction of Leeds partner Andrew Playle, who holds the STEP Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising and is an expert in trusts, wills, tax, probate and related structuring advice. The team also has expertise in succession planning, lasting powers of attorney and acting in Court of Protection matters. Julia Rangecroft left to join Shulmans LLP in early 2019
Other key lawyers:
Progeny Private Law is a boutique private wealth practice focusing on tax and succession planning (including multi-jurisdictional estates, in particular in Europe and the US), family business succession planning (wills and trusts, retirement, exit and sale planning, family charters), probate and elderly clients and Court of Protection work). The team is headed up by directors Frances Davies - 'one of the best private client solicitors in the region' - who has been practising in the Yorkshire private client arena for over 23 years, and firm co-founder Martin Hasyn, who acts as a trustee of a significant number of other ongoing trusts.
Frances Davies; Martin Hasyn
‘The team give sound and technical advice in a straightforward and understandable way. They understand their clients and aim to build long-term relationships to better advise them.’
‘Frances Davies is one of the best private client solicitors in the region. She listens to her clients and always delivers advice that is accurate, appropriate, whilst still being practical and understandable. Its rare that you get an individual that is very strong technically and yet at the same time skilful enough to articulate advice easily to clients and Frances has this skill.’
- Represented a client in relation to his inheritance and succession strategy following his divorce.
- Acting for a client in relation to a review of his will and family investment company structure.
- Acting as the Court-appointed independent administrator of a disputed estate valued in excess of £30m.
- Representing the clients on establishing two investment companies, involving a family trust structure and related tax advice.
- Acting on behalf of the family to put a Family Charter in place in respect of the family’s ownership of a large publishing company, and negotiations with the executive management team.
Taylor & Emmet LLP
Taylor & Emmet LLP’s wills, probate, tax and trusts department is headed by Richard King, who specialises in powers of attorney and tax planning. The team also has expertise in matters relating to mental incapacity, undue influence, fraud and media-related issues and Court of Protection cases.
Other key lawyers:
Chaanah Patton; John Tunnard; Richard Barlow
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited
Wake Smith Solicitors Limited's private client department has a 'great deal of experience' to draw on when serving its high net worth client base. It advises on a wide spectrum of topics, ranging from inheritance tax planning, wills and trusts to heritage, mining and ecclesiastical law. The team is led by director Suzanne Porter, who joined the firm in 2017 and has since introduced new management strategies, a price restructuring and made a number of junior hires, all of which have contributed to a 20% increase in profits.
‘Very impressed with the friendliness of the team, which did not detract from their efficiency.’
‘Competent and utterly professional.’
‘Very approachable and friendly and technically excellent, giving the clients a great deal of confidence in their advice, which is delivered in a language that clients understand.’
- Dealt with the probates of two elderly high net worth clients.
- Dealt with an estate worth in excess of £2.2m.
- Drafted a Discretionary Trust Will and Letter of Wishes for the client to reflect her wishes on her death and to ensure the needs of her family are met in a very complex set of circumstances.
- Advising on residential conveyancing.
- Advice to potential executors of an estate where the deceased made a home-made will which they were not aware of before the death of which validity was questioned.
Weightmans has invested heavily in its wills, trusts and estates team and is now developing a private client department in Leeds. Backed by the firm’s national presence – and drawing on the support of its well-established corporate and employment departments – associate David Stokes has put together a fresh team of four lawyers based in Leeds. The practice benefits from a significant referral network and provides advice on wills, succession planning and lifetime trusts for business owners.
Bell & Buxton
Bell & Buxton’s private client group works closely with the firm's commercial department to provide a holistic service for its clients. This approach is praised by clients, who highlight the 'depth and breadth' of the 'one stop shop' offering. The team deals with probate and inheritance planning, lasting power of attorney and wills and probate matters. The team is led by private client head Charles Neal , who deals with complex probate and personal tax matters and is also a notary public.
‘Clear guidance at all times.’
‘The team dealt with all our requests professionally and communicated clearly and swiftly at all times.’
‘Not afraid to pick up complex cases that others might run a mile from.’
- Dealing with the administration of an estate and setting up a discretionary trust.
- Administering two closely linked estates following social service and police investigation.
- Advised on wills for a father and son to protect their assets, particularly against the outcome of a divorce.
- Assisting a seriously ill client in hospital to make a suitable will on an urgent basis
- Administering an estate with a life interest trust.
With a strong bench of STEP-qualified lawyers and four accredited solicitors for the elderly, Berwins’ practice is well-established in North Yorkshire. Although the core of the client base remains regional and agricultural, the team also has national and international capacity. Most of practice's work is related to lifetime planning, administration of ever larger and complex estates and trusts matters. Practice head Gareth Marland is involved in Court of Protection work, including statutory gift and will applications, probate and property co-ownership structures.
- Advising partners in a substantial Yorkshire farming partnership.
- Advising a high net worth client who holds four life policies written in trust.
- Advising a client on providing an income stream to her grandchildren and inheritance tax planning.
Blacks Solicitors LLP’s wills and probate department routinely handles work relating to power of attorney issues and estate administration. The team, which includes members with STEP and Dementia Friends accreditation, is instructed mainly by business owners who seek help with succession planning and wealth preservation and by vulnerable clients too, for whom the firm acts as professional deputies under the Court of Protection Act. The team is led by Nick Rhodes, whose work includes a focus on the administration of estates following bereavement.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive to client queries; competitive pricing.’
‘Professional and knowledgeable.’
‘Main strengths are client rapport and explaining matters at an appropriate level of technical detail.’
‘Friendly, understanding and realistic.’
‘Nick Rhodes is always willing to help and provide guidance.’
Emsleys Solicitors Limited
Emsleys Solicitors Limited, which has a network of offices in Leeds area, has continued to expand with more recent launches in Bristol and Cardiff. The firm sets great store in helping clients beyond the traditional duties of a law firm, carrying out home visits and providing free advice and workshops for the local community. Head of wills and probate Helen Gott is 'personable and efficient' and works 'tirelessly' on cases involving wills, probate, administration of trusts and estates, Court of Protection issues, mental incapacity and power of attorney.
‘Very approachable and makes clients feel at ease.’
‘The team, headed by Helen Gott, is my go-to team – I totally trust them to give quality advice on a range of private client matters.’
‘Helen Gott is personable, efficient and works tirelessly to look after her clients.’
Alzheimer’s Society – Dementia Champion
- Advising a HNW individual on lifetime planning using trusts and a will for inheritance tax planning.
- Advising a family regarding a complex deputyship application for son to be appointed as deputy for his mother and for a second trustee to be appointed to sell the family home to fund care fees.
- Acting as executors in the administration of a £2m estate with charity beneficiaries and a claim against the estate by HMRC for unpaid income tax.
- Advising a HNW client regarding her will.
- Advising the executor of an estate in relation to the administration. The deceased was an active partner in a law firm at the date of his death.
Gordons LLP has a 'practical, pragmatic and very strong' private client team, led by 'exceptional private client lawyer' Greg Dixon , who stepped up to lead the department after being promoted to partner in 2017. The practice includes five full members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), as well as a chartered tax adviser. Main work highlights include wills, administering estates, trust advice and administration, powers of attorney, inheritance tax and succession planning for wealthy individuals, families and high-profile business leaders in the Leeds and Bradford area.
‘Always very accessible, helpful and practical.’
‘Down to earth, caring and efficient.’
‘The team works well across all disciplines and provides a comprehensive service to clients and peers. They are great at communicating and keep all parties up to date on progress.’
‘Extremely professional and know their field inside out.’
‘Diana Smart is extremely professional and knows her field while having great empathy with clients. This gives me great confidence that the clients we refer are receiving exceptional advice.’
‘Megan Boldison and Alice Leslie are very easy to worth with and both are very knowledgeable and practical in their field.’
‘Greg Dixon is an exceptional private client lawyer. He poses both the expertise and the personality which make him a top-class lawyer and one which I would recommend to clients, friends and family alike.’
- Acting as, and for, the executors and trustees in the administration of a complex estate valued in excess of £245m.
- Acted as, and for, the executors of a complex estate valued in excess of £70m and in particular, undertaking significant tax planning.
- Acting for the executor in the administration of a complex estate valued in excess of £30m.
- Acting for the executors in the administration of a complicated estate valued in excess of £8m.
Langleys Solicitors LLP has recently invested in its private client practice with the hire of former Weightmans partner James Knowles as head of the practice in York. Knowles attracts praise for his 'enthusiastic, commercial cutting edge' approach and his work on complex trusts matters. The firm's other specialisms include advising farmers and landed estates, the structuring and dissolution of farming partnerships and inheritance-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very professional firm, offering a first class service to their clients.’
‘A large firm which manages to behave and feel like a small firm with a personal touch.’
‘Ed Allen and James Knowles both have a superb command of their subject, yet they both put clients at ease and conduct meetings in a very relaxed way. They listen much more than they talk, which I always think is a very good sign.’
‘Ed Allen is very impressive – he demonstrates important skills such as being approachable, putting clients at ease, being friendly, responsive and diligent. Ed always makes clients feel comfortable in meetings and like their concerns are of huge importance to him. Clients have built up a good level of trust in Ed in a short period, which is hugely reassuring.’
- Advised on a cross-jurisdictional estate matter involving trusts and company assets.
- Provided inheritance tax advice for a high net worth family.
- Handled complex administration of a landed estate including agricultural and business assets and a half secret trust.
McCormicks continues to advise trustees, settlors, beneficiaries, attorneys and deputies in relation to planning and administration of estates and court of protection matters. The firm has a longstanding relationship with the Premier League, for which it provides advice on trust structures intended to protect young and wealthy players. Peter McCormick and Elaine Lightfoot are the key lawyers in the practice.
Peter McCormick; Elaine Lightfoot
The Estate of the late John Herbert Strutt
The Premier League
- Advised the executors of an estate in respect of its administration, a matter of significant value and complexity given the scope of the assets involved.
- Advising the Premier League in respect of structures to protect young players from financial predators. The work involves detailed advice in respect of trust structures.
Ramsdens Solicitors LLP
Ramsdens Solicitors LLP private client department in Yorkshire is led by Veronica Mullins, who has broad expertise, acting as as a professional attorney, deputy and trustee for clients, vulnerable people and organisations. The practice was boosted in 2018 by the acquisition of York firm Burn & Company, a deal which saw private client partner Mark Burn come on board. Another key member of the practice is Rachael Brook, who is based in the Slaithwaite office and mainly deals with estate administration and inheritance tax planning.
Veronica Mullins; Rachel Brook
Other key lawyers:
‘Speed of processing work is exceptional. One of my go-to solicitors for Wills and probate’.
‘Chris Reynolds is an exceptional communicator, keeping me informed of work in progress at all times. His ability to address issues and help clients with their estate planning is far above the other solicitors we have used in the area. Whilst other solicitors may take days or even in some cases weeks to get back to our clients Chris deals with enquires and process work promptly and accurately. I would recommend without hesitation’.
Ridley & Hall
Huddersfield-based boutique Ridley & Hall has gone 'from strength to strength' in recent years, expanding into Leeds with the launch of a new office in 2018. With their 'specialist expertise' the firm is able to provide a service 'comparable to larger city-based firms whilst keeping fees reasonable'. Will-writing, estate planning and administration, enduring and lasting powers of attorney, deputyships, Court of Protection work and trust administration are all part of their offering, while the firm is also particularly apt at dealing with estate administration and contentious probate matters involving missing people and elder financial abuse.
Other key lawyers:
Helen Webster; Victoria Ridge
They work very, very hard for their clients.
Friendly, personable, caring.
Sarah Young works very, very hard for her clients – nothing is too much trouble; despite her seniority, she takes a hands on approach, undertaking much of the work on matters herself’
‘Helen Dandridge is extremely clever and astute, calm and collected – she has a first-rate manner with clients’
‘Samantha Hirst has the presence and demeanour of a practitioner ten years her senior.’
‘Victoria Maude is simply excellent.’
‘Jill Waddington is a very safe pair of hands.’
Rollits LLP's private capital practice, which is led by John Lane, enjoys a strong reputation in the market. Services provided by the team include advice to family-owned businesses and landed estates.
A 'great' local firm with a solid roster of SME clients, Schofield Sweeney’s private client department is led by the 'extremely knowledgeable and helpful' Ashley Iredale , who boasts 30 years of experience in dealing with both traditional private client work and complex, multimillion-pound estates. The team also offers advice on matters relating to stamp duty land tax and family investments across three Yorkshire bases in Huddersfield, Leeds and Bradford.
Other key lawyers:
John Feaster; Simon Glazebrook
‘Knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.’
‘A team that truly puts the client at the centre of the relationship.’
‘The team provides an excellent service and is proactive in finding the right solution for their clients.’
‘Extremely knowledgeable and helpful and always happy to go the extra mile to get the job done.’
‘They are a very down to earth team, combining technical expertise with clear communication with client.’
‘Simon Glazebrook is the most holistic private client lawyer that I have worked alongside – he delivers robust and complex planning in a very easy to understand manner.’
‘Ashley Iredale and Sarah Ali are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and always happy to go the extra mile to get the job done.’
‘Ashley Iredale is professional, thoughtful and approachable. He works seamlessly within a broader team of advisers when dealing with complex family arrangements and has the, often overlooked, ability of being able to clearly communicate challenging concepts in simple terms. Ashley and his team provide an excellent service and are proactive in finding the right solution for their clients.’
‘Sarah Hodkinson is very approachable, attentive to clients and great to work with.’
- Advised clients on the restructuring of a corporate entity.
- Advised client on litigation in their home country relating to financial abuse of a father by a family member.
- Represented client in relation to estate planning prior to a pending private equity deal.
- Advised a high net worth married couple on the creation of wills and trusts in a tax efficient manner for their children and grandchildren.
- Advised a substantial business and land owner on inheritance tax planning, protection of underage beneficiaries and a substantial pension fund following his death amid his divorce.
Ward Hadaway’s private client practice works closely with the firm's corporate, commercial and family departments to provide a broader service than other more specialised firms. As well as advising on probate matters relating to high value estates, power of attorney and tax efficient gifting, the firm also handles estate planning for lottery winners - a particular specialism of practice head Andrew Evans , who also works with sports clients and high net worth entrepreneurs.
Andrew Facer; Andrew Evans
‘A strong, closely knit team.’
‘They are well qualified and knowledgeable, but what sets them apart is that they recognise clients as people too.’
‘They have good empathy and keep the conversations as jargon-free as possible.’
‘Ward Hadaway offers great advice whilst not charging London prices for work.’
‘They are a practice that is proud of their Northern roots and – they offer straightforward advice.’
‘Andrew Evans always takes the time to really listen to client concerns – he brings an elegant simplicity to explaining jargon and concepts as clearly as possible.’
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP provides farmers and business owners with 'excellent quality' advice on a wide range of matters, including family succession, asset protection, tax mitigation (personal and corporate tax), mental capacity and estate and trust administration. The Beverley-based team is part of the firm's larger private client department and is led by the 'calm and professional' Lesley Archer. She works closely with the firm’s agricultural and corporate teams on complex cases involving restructuring or terminating farming arrangements and trusts as well as trusts with private company shares.
‘A wealth of knowledge and expertise on hand to meet all potential problems.
‘The firm always acts with wisdom, capability and assurance, which gives confidence that you are in good hands.
‘Lesley Archer has a sympathetic and professional manner.’
‘Lesley Archer has a very calm and professional manner in the most trying of circumstances, and displays personal resilience while also providing support to her clients – she made a very difficult situation better for our family.’
STEP – Lesley Archer
STEP – Lucy Butterfint
Solicitors for the Elderly – Lucy Butterfint
Camelot (National Lottery)
Probate Solicitors Network