Real estate and construction in Vietnam
At Baker McKenzie, the real estate practice is known for handling complex and high-value transactions for major developers and international clients. Managing partner Frederick Burke heads the team and is a key name for real estate financing projects and corporate transactions across the hotel, resort, and tourism space. Special counsel Gia Long Nguyen specialises in industrial project work and advises clients across Asia investing in Vietnam. Other core team members include Lan Phuong Nguyen who includes real estate in her practice as well as M&A.
‘The B&M team is always quick to respond and support. They are able to provide industry practices and pragmatic advice. I’ve been working with Frederick Burke and Long Gia Nguyen- both of them are responsive and always try their best to make themselves available. Both of them are able to effectively refer to whats happening in the market to provide rational and sound advice.’
BW Industrial Development JSC
HTL International Pte. Ltd.
Crest Leathers Group
Tuyet Lien Son Co. Ltd.
Thanh Cong Group Land
Wyndham Destinations Asia Pacific Pty. Ltd.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
Vanke Properties (Overseas) Limited
Nomura Real Estate
TNR Holdings / TNG Holdings Vietnam
Mitsubishi Estate Asia / Mitsubishi Vietnam Company Limited
- Advised Tuyet Lien Son Co. Ltd. on a hotel management agreement with Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) for the management of the 300-room hotel “voco Ma Belle Danang,” the first voco-branded hotel in Southeast Asia.
- Advised Teeya Phaiboon on its second investment into the 5-star Gam Ghi Island Resorts and Hotel, which spans an entire island in Phu Quoc.
- Advised HTL International on a transaction involving a 13-hectare industrial estate in Vietnam’s Binh Duong Province.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers is particularly active in the construction disputes space, with a large number of mandates including significant international arbitrations. Practice head Vu Thi Que is a notable name for real estate deals, advising developers and investors (many of whom Chinese) on major transactions. Tran Thi Phuong Thao has real estate finance expertise and Logan Leung further bolsters the contentious construction practice.
- Acted as Vietnam counsel to the listing of WMCH Global Investment Limited on GEM of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- Vietnamese counsel to the manager and trustee of Mapletree Logistics Trust in connection with the acquisition by Mapletree Logistics Trust of a 100% interest in two logistics properties in Vietnam.
The 'experienced' real estate team at ZICO Law is jointly led by Phuong Nguyen in Ho Chi Minh City and Phuc Nguyen in Hanoi. The group is skilled in advising on an array of complex and high-value property-related transactions for clients, particularly foreign investors. Clients span across developers, industrial park owners, and private equity funds, with the team advising on structuring development projects and acquisitions, as well as real estate finance. Tay Zi Li advises property developers and both lenders and borrowers on banking transactions.
‘Very experienced and responsive team. The team is easy to work with and will go the extra mile for us.’
‘Tay Zi Li does a great job of managing all our legal needs. He is easily contactable and demonstrates an excellent understanding of local laws.’
Hong Kong Land Limited
Sotetsu Holdings Limited
UOL Group Limited
SRE Group Ltd
Central Retail Group
- Advising Hongkong Land Ltd., one of Asia’s leading property investment, management, and development groups, regarding a mixed-use project comprising luxury residences as well as commercial component in Thu Thiem District of Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advising Risland Thailand on a potential 10sqkm real estate development project which will include schools, hospitals, public facilities and residential housing in Vietnam.
Allen & Overy LLP
At Allen & Overy LLP, the real estate team focuses on complex and cross-border real estate investment and finance matters for an international client roster. Finance specialist Duc Tran leads the team and manages project financing mandates as well as real estate finance deals. Managing partner Adam Moncrieff specializes in all aspects of banking and finance work and another key name to note for cross-border transactions across Asia.
Other key lawyers:
China Fortune Land Development (CFLD)
Gaw Capital Partners
International Finance Corporation
- Advised KKR on its USD650m investment in Vinhomes.
- Advising Sumitomo Corporation on the North Hanoi Smart City Project.
- Acting for a global financial institution on a convertible loan facility for Son Kim Land Corporation.
The real estate team at Frasers Law Company handles heavyweight transactional work in the sector, including advising foreign investors on a number of notable deals. The group is led by Mark Fraser, and also includes Justin Gisz who has expertise in Vietnamese property and construction law and is a key contact for private equity clients. Senior associate Duong Thi Mai Huong is also recommended.
Mavene Invest Corp
NVT Consulting Co., Ltd.
- Acting as lead and Vietnam counsel for the seller in relation to its divestment of the entire issued share capital of a BVI-domiciled holding company, which in turn holds 100% of a developer company in Vietnam which is the owner and developer of a major multi-purpose property development project in one of Vietnam’s major coastal resort centres.
VILAF is the first port of call for many real estate clients for multi-million-dollar transactions and financing projects. Practice head Nguyen Truc Hien advises foreign investors, developers and private equity funds on their operations in Vietnam whilst in Hanoi, co-head Dang Duong Anh manages front-end construction in addition to acting for banks in financing real property projects. The group retains energy work as its core sector strength and continues to be instructed on large-scale work across the region.
Nam Long Development Corporation
- Advising Berjaya Corporation Berhad on sale of 75% of the equity in of T.P.C Nghi Tam Village Ltd. to Hanoi Hotel Tourism Development Limited Liability Company,
- Advising Keangnam Enterprises Ltd. on an EPC contract dispute with AON Vietnam.
ATS Law Firm handles property development, acquisitions and mixed-development projects for clients including developers, private equity funds, and other investors. Headed by Vu Thi Thu Ha, the team is skilled in handling commercial contracts in the real estate spaces, managing large scale projects, and advising on international and domestic transactions. Huong Phan in Hanoi is a core member of the team.
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.
The team at Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C. handles advisory work to developers and investors on numerous project transactions and commercial developments. Nicolas Audier leads the group and handles foreign investment matters whilst hotels specialist Bernadette Fahy in Hanoi is the name for contentious construction.
- Advising a leading international company in the distribution sector to acquire or lease real properties in urban and rural areas under various forms of legal structures.
- Assisting a client on the establishment of a chain of beauty clinics in major cities and urban centers throughout Vietnam.
The team at Bizlink Lawyers acts across the real estate sector and has experience in transactional matters and commercial property work. The group handles high-value cross-border financing mandates for developers, advises on urban development projects in Hanoi, and also has expertise in the tourism space. Senior associate Bui Phu Chau is another key name in the practice.
Citra West Lake City Development Company Limited
Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd. (Korea)
DT Xuan Truong Co., Ltd
Eurowindow Joint Stock Company (Vietnam)
Gamuda Land Vietnam
International Centre Ltd.
Kumho Industrial Co., Ltd. (Korea) No
Laocai International Hotel Joint Venture Company -– Donaco
Lotte – Halla – Hanshin Joint Venture (Korea)
- Advised T&M Vietnam Investment Joint Stock Company on a transaction concerning an urban development project in Hanoi.
- M&A transaction on a Commercial Complex Building valued at over $75m for Citra West Lake City Development Company Limited.
- Advised Citra West Lake City Development Company on a deal concerning a high-rise project valued at over $53m.
DFDL Legal & Tax specialises in infrastructure development and construction projects in the hospitality, residential and retail sectors. Managing partner Jérôme Buzenet leads the team, which also includes Tran Thi Vu Hanh, who advises on project finance matters whilst in Hanoi, and Huynh Dai Thang advises foreign investors on Vietnamese law.
Osprey Packs Vietnam Limited
Bai Tram Estates
- Advised Zannier Hotels on their development of a hotel and resort villa project under construction in Phu Yen province, Vietnam
Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu advises mostly Japanese investors on real estate development, construction matters and property acquisitions in Vietnam. Hanoi-based Keigo Sawayama and Motohisa Nakagawa in Ho Chi Minh City are key contacts and handle cross-border real estate work. Hoai Tran is also praised by clients.
‘While the legal regulation and the trading practice of real estate in Vietnam has always been containing some uncertainties, Motohisa. Nakagawa and his team have supported us through all the process of DD, documentation, negotiation, and execution for this deal with always showing very clear guidance to us’
‘Hoai Tran has a wealth of experience in land acquisitions and their related approvals, development approvals. This is then mixed with deep knowledge on the history of the land plots and the local developers, giving us an understanding of not only the regulatory and legal issues, but of the bigger picture as well.’
Mr Motohisa Nakagawa has strong capabilities in cross border M&A and JV deals, giving “on the spot” advice and recommendations to avoid the numerous legal issues/risks that an international investor would encounter when investing in Vietnam. He is also extremely flexible and suggests numerous ideas in terms of structuring deals and agreements. Fluency in English and broad connection with authorities are also strengths.
Leben Community Co., Ltd.
Minato Vietnam Co., Ltd.
- Advised Tokyo LLC in respect of preparations to construct a golf course in Hai Phong city, Vietnam.
- Advised Minato Vietnam Co., Ltd. in respect of the building of several condominium buildings for sale in Hai Phong.
- Advised Shimizu Corporation in respect of the acquisition of a 40% interest in Indochina Plaza, a well-known commercial centre in Hanoi through its Singapore SPC from an affiliate company (established in Singapore) of Toshin Development Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Takashimaya.
Nishimura & Asahi
At Nishimura & Asahi, the real estate team advises real estate developers and corporations on matters spanning urban development and cross-border transactions, with a strong focus on work with Japanese connections. Hikaru Oguchi leads the group overall from Tokyo with key contacts in Vietnam continuing to be Kazuhide Ohya and Taro Hirosawa. Japanese investors continue to be the main clients.
Pacific Petroleum Import Export Trading Joint Stock Company
Based in Hanoi, Vina Legal's real estate practice is jointly led by Duong Quang Long and Nguyen Bao Huy, and advises clients on urban development projects across the railways, highways, and apartment building projects space.
Colas Rails S.A (France)
Vinh Tan 1 Power Company (China)
Aon Vina Co., Ltd (South Korea)
Vietnam National Textile and Garment Corporation
Vietnam Multimedia Corporation
Cuu Long Infrastructure Development and Project Management Corporation
Power Consulting Joint-Stock Coompany
Hung Thinh Land Group
Bao Viet Holdings
Truong Son Construction Corporation
- Advised Colas Rail S.A on the implementation of the EPC contract under the construction of one of the first and largest city subway lines in Hanoi between Nhon and Hanoi Station.
- Advised Aon Vina (South Korea) on legal issues relating to the construction contract to build Keangnam Landmark 72, the tallest building in Hanoi.
- Advised Thai Group on developing one of the largest shopping and office complex in a large area of golden land in Hanoi, Kim Lien Complex.