Allen & Overy LLP's breadth and depth of expertise make it a market-leader for real estate in Vietnam. It generates a strong flow of work from offshore investors participating in Vietnam's real estate market. In addition, the firm has a leading presence in the renewable energy sector, and it is also a go-to for strategically significant and complex real estate finance transactions. Practice head Duc Tran and senior associate Hai Ha are advising Sumitomo on its partnership with BRG Group in connection with the development of the $4.2bn North Hanoi Smart City project. Other notable clients include KKR and Qatar Investment Authority.
Real estate and construction in Vietnam
Allen & Overy LLP
Other key lawyers:
Gaw Capital Partners
Qatar Investment Authority
- Advised the initial purchasers on Vietnamese tourism property developer BIM Land JSC’s debut Reg S offering of $200m 7.375% bonds due 2026, the first corporate green bond out of Vietnam.
- Advised ESR on its joint venture with BW for the development of an industrial park in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advising Sumitomo Corporation on the North-Hanoi Smart City Project.
Baker McKenzie's practice covers a broad cross-section of real estate assets, including hotels, residential and commercial sites, mixed-use developments and retail premises. The team’s recent workload included real estate investment transactions, financings and leasing matters. One notable mandate involved Lan Phuong Nguyen leading the advice to Hung Phat Invest Ha Noi on the development of the mixed-use Grand Marina project in Ho Chi Minh City. Special counsel Gia Long Nguyen works with other practitioners in the Asia Pacific on cross-border real estate transactions. Nguyen Lan Phuong is notably active in the retail sector. Frederick Burke now serves as a senior adviser to the Vietnam offices.
‘My particular vote goes to Mr Gia Long Nguyen – amazing manager, with amazing follow up and business skills.’
Hung Phat Invest Ha Noi Company Limited (Masterise Homes)
Louis Vuitton Vietnam Company Limited
- Assisted Hung Phat Invest Ha Noi Company Limited with legal advice and due diligence on the land in connection to a mixed-used project at Ho Chi Minh City.
- Assisted Louis Vuitton with advising and drafting communications to the landlord in relation to claiming rental reduction and waiver due to the force majeure event caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers' practice is led by Vu Thi Que, who is a fluent Mandarin speaker, and is sought after by clients from mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. She has experience of advising Chinese developers on tie-ups and acquisitions of Vietnamese real estate companies. Also notable is that the firm attracts a steady flow of work from developers based in Singapore, including Mapletree and Keppel Land. Elsewhere, contentious matters are another key workstream; Chau Huy Quang is an expert in construction and real estate tenancy disputes. Newly promoted partner Trinh Minh Duc is another name to note at the firm.
ZICO Law advises domestic and overseas-based clients on private equity investments, joint ventures, land and project acquisitions, as well as leasing arrangements. In addition, the firm is active in industrial and energy-related construction projects. The practice is jointly led by managing partner Phuong Nguyen and Phuc Nguyen, who are experienced in structuring real estate transactions and development projects, and also assisting with real estate finance matters. Tay Zi Li is another key individual in the group, which saw Kevin Hawkins move to DFDL Legal & Tax in January 2021.
‘The team is very focused on providing the best service to the client. As a foreign investor, we rely heavily on the team to advise on the procedures and how we can manage risks. Zico is able to do that with clarity and detail.‘
‘Tay Zi Li (Partner of Zico) is an exceptional leader. He has very strong technical knowledge and very prompt in his replies to us. He speaks with confidence, always ready to render support and able to explain complicated matters in a concise manner. He also tries his best to meet the tough deadline which we have set for him.’
Hongkong Land Ltd
Shandong-based EPC Contractor, a subsidiary of State Power Investment Corporation
Sotetsu Holdings Inc.
UOL Group Limited
SRE Group Ltd
- Advising Hongkong Land Ltd on two new mixed-use development projects in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advising Jinko Solar Holding Co. Ltd on the acquisition/lease of land from an industrial zone, as well as construction matters.
Bizlink Lawyers is active in real estate transactions and construction projects, and it is also instructed in construction disputes. Managing partner Do Trong Hai leads the team, which acts for clients such as Eurowindow, Ecopark Group and Zen Plaza. Senior associate Bui Phu Chau is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have the best understanding of real estate and construction law. Bizlink’s team is quick to comprehend the problem and accurate in giving legal advice.’
Citra West Lake City Development Company Limited
Eurowindow Holding Joint Stock Company
Ecopark Group Joint Stock Company
Westlake View Real Estate Limited Liability Company
Fuji Bac Giang Development JSC
Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade (VietinBank)
Zen Plaza Company Limited
- Advised T&M Vietnam Investment JSC on the acquisition of a part of Yen So Park Project in the South of Hanoi
- Advised Citra Westlake City Development Company Limited on transferring a complex sub-project with total investment value of over $53m to another developer.
- Advised Westlake View Real Estate Company Limited on transferring several commercial areas in the apartment building to other investors.
Mark Fraser and Justin Gisz co-head the practice at Frasers Law Company, which handles a myriad of complex mandates, including real estate-related M&A, acquisitions of development projects, joint ventures and construction projects. At senior associate level, Duong Thi Mai Huong is a name to note, as is Nguyen Mai Phuong, who was hired from Hogan Lovells International LLP in December 2020.
‘Swift and no nonsense approach, as well as out of the box solutions offered that circumvent challenges faced.’
‘Hands-on partner involvement, depth of talent, knowledge driven, high level of professionalism, ability to advise across sectors and functions. Frasers provides a very personalized and an engaging client service environment. We feel very welcome when dealing with the team.’
‘Mark Fraser: extremely knowledgable, commercial and someone that can get complicated deals across the line. Justin Gisz: detail oriented with a very good understanding of the technical aspects of the Vietnam legal system.’
‘The team is driven and has a diversity of local and international talent. This is very important for international clients.’
‘Driven to achieve targets. Reliable in performance. Reasoned and detailed advice.’
Vinacapital Holdings Ltd
Stark Corporation Public Company Limited
Super Energy Corporation Public Company Limited
Asian Development Bank
Japan Bank For International Cooperation
Korean Exim Bank
Hoi An South Development Company Limited
- Advised VinaCapital on its investment in a $3bn 3GW LNG-fired power generation project, to be located in Long An province.
- Handled all of the real estate and construction aspects of a high-profile, $240m acquisition transaction for Stark Corporation.
VILAF has core strengths advising on real estate investment transactions, EPC contracts and capital markets transactions used to finance construction projects. Nguyen Truc Hien in Ho Chi Minh City co-heads the practice with Hanoi-based partner Anh Dang.
CapitaLand (Vietnam) Holdings Pte Ltd.
KKR Capital Markets Asia Limited
Nam Long Group
Jones Lang LaSalle Property Consultants Pte Ltd
BW Industrial Development Joint Stock Company
BIM Land JSC
- Advised in Vingroup’s offering and listing of its $500m worth of echangable bonds.
- Advised CapitaLand on the $300m investment in an office and commercial complex being part of Vinhomes Metropolis.
- Advised KKR Capital as arranger and the original lenders in structuring a syndicated term loan facility to finance KKR investment entities in the US$650 million investment in Vinhomes, a subsidiary of Vingroup
Audier & Partners Vietnam L.L.C.
APFL & Partners Legal Vietnam LLC's team acts for a broad base of clients on the implementation of real estate development projects, including developers, construction companies, banks and engineers. In addition, it advises on investment acquisitions, sales and leases. Managing partner Nicolas Audier is a key name for transactional work. Contentious matters are primarily handled by Bernadette Fahy, who is an expert in construction related disputes and has expertise in arbitration, litigation and ADR.
ATS Law Firm handles a varied portfolio of work, which includes investment acquisitions and sales, leases and sub-leases, and mixed-use development projects. Managing partner Vu Thi Thu Ha heads up the group. Huong Phan and Bui Hong Hanh are other key practitioners.
NHA Trang Bay Joint Stock Company
Vega City Joint Stock Company
Ecopark Corporation Joint Stock Company
Shimizu Vietnam Co., Ltd
NSN Construction And Engineering Joint Stock Company
Proprint Company Limited
DFDL Legal & Tax's real estate team in Vietnam, which is jointly led by Dai Thang Huynh and Paul Volodarsky, is part of the wider regional practice group in Southeast Asia. Noted for its focus on development and construction work, it has extensive expertise in residential and commercial development projects, as well as large-scale infrastructure projects. In an ongoing mandate in the renewable energy arena, Jérôme Buzenet is leading the advice to Total Solar as project sponsor on the development of rooftop solar projects in Vietnam. Elsewhere, the firm generates work with a nexus to sectors such as retail, agriculture and hospitality. Kevin Hawkins joined from ZICO Law.
Zannier Hotels Bai San Ho Ltd.
The Nam Khang Corporation
Radisson Hotel Group
- Advised Zannier Hotels Bai San Ho on its establishment, corporate structuring, residential sale structuring, and preparation of sales contracts.
- Advising The Nam Khang Corporation on the feasibility of structuring residential real estate sales to both Vietnamese and foreign investors as part of a branded residences and hotel project in Danang.
- Advising Radisson on the legal feasibility of residential unit sales based on the proposed sale structure of the project developer of hotel resorts in Vietnam.
Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu is well-known for advising Japanese investors on real estate matters relating to the Vietnam market, including development, construction, acquisition, management, ownership and leasing. The team is led by Motohisa Nakagawa in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi-based partner Keigo Sawayama, both of whom are very active in transactions, developments and leasing matters.
‘Motohisa Nakagawa is very professional. His communication is always crystal clear. He is not only detailed but also highly visionary of the client’s expectations.’
Leben Community Co., Ltd.
Minato Vietnam Co., Ltd.
Japanese law firm Nishimura & Asahi has developed a well-established presence in the Vietnam real estate market since it first opened a local office in Ho Chi Minh City in 2010. It now acts for Vietnamese and multinational developers and corporates on urban development (including smart city) projects and cross-border real estate transactions. Tokyo-based partner Hikaru Oguchi leads the team, which is supported locally by practitioners such as Vu Le Bang and Kazuhide Ohya.
Samty Co., Ltd.
Hitachi Sustainable Energy Ltd.
- Advised Japanese real estate company Samty Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of 90% of S-VIN Vietnam Real Estate Trading Joint Stock Co., as part of a real estate project in Vietnam with Vinhomes Joint Stock Co.
- Advised Hitachi Sustainable Energy Ltd., a subsidiary of Mitsubishi HC Capital Inc., on its acquisition of a 35.1 percent stake in Trung Nam Wind Power Joint Stock Company, a subsidiary of Trung Nam Construction Investment Corporation and a leader in the renewable energy industry in Vietnam.
Duong Quang Long and Nguyen Bao Huy jointly lead the team at Vina Legal, which is prominent in the largest, high-profile real estate and construction projects in Hanoi. In one notable mandate, Quang and Huy are assisting Aon Vina (South Korea) with the EPC contracts relating to the development of Keangam Landmark, which is set to be the tallest building in Hanoi. Elsewhere, other work included acting for Singapore-based power developer Nexif Energy on the construction of a hydro power plant.
‘Good understanding of the industry and customers’ requests, deep analysis of the situation, prompt and clear consultation on the asked topics.’
‘Duong Quang Long and Nguyen Bao Huy are the partners who I’m working with. They show themselves to be capable, reliable and customer-minded.’
‘From our experience of using the services of many other law firms, I find that this firm can provide a wide range of legal services with very high quality. They respond to us very proactively and in a timely manner. They also use technical experts in different fields effectively to make the services very helpful.’
‘Most of the lawyers in this firm we had the chance to work with are very well-trained and skilful. The leader of this firm (Mr. Duong Quang Long) is an outstanding leader and lawyer. He provides outstanding advice in complicated transactions or matters, which requires knowledge in many fields. We are really satisfied with their services.’
Nexif Energy (Singapore)
Colas Rails S.A (France)
Vinh Tan 1 Power Company (China)
Aon Vina Co., Ltd (South Korea)
Vietnam National Textile and Garment Corporation
Cuu Long Infrastructure Development and Project Management Corporation
Power Consulting Joint-Stock Coompany
Hung Thinh Land Group
Bao Viet Holdings
Truong Son Construction Corporation
- Advised Colas Rail S.A (France) on dealing with legal issues the implementation of the EPC contract under the construction of one of the first and largest city subway lines in Hanoi between Nhon and Hanoi Railway Station.
- Advised Nexif Energy (Singapore) on employing and developing EPC construction contracts with contractors to build a large Song Giang hydro power plant in Nha Trang, Vietnam.
- Advised Aon Vina (South Korea) on legal issues relating to the construction contract to build Keangnam Landmark 72, the tallest building in Hanoi.