Eversheds El Heni (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)’s full-service banking and finance practice handles a range of advisory, transactional and contentious matters, with project finance and insurance standing as notable sweet spots. The firm is best known for representing regional and global finance clients, particularly development banks and insurers, but it also acts for corporate borrowers. Farès Koussay El Heni is deputy head of the firm's Africa group and brings to bear strong international experience. Raouf El Heni specialises in banking, finance and insurance law and counts many of the leading insurance companies in Tunisia as clients. Soundès Mejdoub is noted for her record in energy-related matters.
Banking and finance in Tunisia
Farès Koussay El Heni; Raouf El Heni; Soundès Mejdoub
‘Very, very proactive, multidisciplinary firm with a very high profile. Respects the deadline, demonstrates availability.’
‘We value the fact that lawyers operate at an international level. Very open minded, perspicacity, tough when needed, provide assistance and support.’
- Advised IFC on three major financing projects in the agricultural and financial services sectors.
- Advised EBRD in relation to two financing mandates with a combined value of $40m.
- Advised AFD on three significant financing mandates for major public banks in Tunisia.
Ferchiou & associés houses a dominant lender-side practice, which is well versed in both conventional and Islamic finance matters. The firm acts for an impressive roster of banks and financial institutions, particularly international development banks such as EBRD, EIB and IFC, and it is also sought after by borrowers. Amina Larbi focuses on banking and project finance, with particular expertise in PPP and concession projects. Omar Ferchiou is New York- and Tunisia-qualified and advises local and international clients on finance matters. Managing partner Noureddine Ferchiou is noted for his record in complex, cross-border transactions.
Omar Ferchiou; Rym Ferchiou; Amina Larbi
Other key lawyers:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
European Investment Bank
International Finance Corporation
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique
- Advised EBRD on an unsecured loan of up to €5m granted to Arab Tunisian Lease.
- Acted for EBRD on a senior unsecured loan granted to Compagnie Internationale de Leasing.
Abdelly & Chaary and Partner Law Firm
Abdelly & Associates brings to bear a strong track record in advising both private and public financial institutions, insurance companies, funds and borrowers on domestic and cross-border finance transactions. The group's robust tax offering is a key asset in multi-jurisdictional transactions and it is well equipped to advise on national and international tax issues. Managing director Samir Abdelly oversees the practice and is noted for his experience in project finance, corporate restructurings and cross-border transactions.
Samir Abdelly; Fatma Abdallah; Ismaël M’rad
SINOCHEM HOLDINGS CORPORATION
BEST RE INSURANCE
Société Tunisienne de Banque
GROUPE LA CARTE
MOBILE POWER SYSTEMS
NOVA SCOTIA BANK
GREATWALL DRILLING COMPANY
EUROMINES OIL & GAS
ENERGEAN OIL & GAS
DUNDEE BANK CORPORATION
CHINA DEVELOPMENT BANK
- Advised Groupe la Carte on sale and purchase agreements across numerous sectors.
- Advised Société Tunisienne de Banque on various capital investment operations, including on increasing and decreasing share capital and on the creation of affiliates or subsidiaries.
- Acted for GFH Financial Group on the acquisition of British International School of Tunis by GFH and Tunis Bay Golf Project company, through their wholly owned affiliate, Britus Education.
Caid Essebsi & Ben Salem Associés Law Firm's premier energy offering supplies the banking and finance practice with a stream of project finance and oil and gas-related matters. The firm is widely recognised for its close connections to international law firms, and it is called upon by major global names to advise on the local aspects of multi-jurisdictional transactions. It is also noted for its experience in regulatory and compliance-related work. Senior partner Salaheddine Caid Essebsi is a leading light for foreign investment matters. Yamen Akkari is noted for project finance.
Salaheddine Caid Essebsi; Fakaher Ben Salem; Yamen Akkari; Mohamed Kazdaghli
TTS Group (Tunisia)
Anglo Tunisian Oil and Gas Company
Clyde & Co
Herbert Smith Freehills
Global Lawyers North Africa in partnership with Gide Loyrette Nouel's extensive international network makes it well placed to advise multinational clients on cross-border banking and finance matters. The firm acts for lenders, including major global banks, and borrowers on a wide range of lending transactions, bankruptcy proceedings and foreign investment issues. Tunis-based Anis Jabnoun is noted for his broad corporate finance experience. The group also leans on partners in Paris and Algiers.
Anis Jabnoun; Samy Laghouati; Jean-Gabriel Flandrois
Philip Morris International Management SA
Roquette & Frères
- Advised IFC on the financing of a group of companies belonging to One Tech Holding group.
- Represented retail franchise operator Alshaya on several financings linked to its projects in Tunisia.
- Advised BPCE on granting new loans to its subsidiary BTK in the context of the sale of the 60% stake it holds in BTK.