Baker McKenzie has experience in advising foreign and local media companies, including local cable and satellite television stations, print media organisations, music publication and distribution companies, clients in the film industry and film personalities. The team handles matters relating to advertising content, data protection, telecoms licences, the acquisition of broadcast and multimedia rights and online commercial disputes. Henry Chang heads the practice, and is leading a team advising Facebook on streaming content which bypasses traditional telecoms providers.
TMT in Taiwan
Shiseido Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
- Acted as special counsel for Google and advised on tax structuring issues and the structuring of the investment.
- Provided our advice in relation to data protection regulations for Shiseido.
- Advised Cubic Telecom in relation to telecom regulations involving connected cars.
- We advised a consortium led by KHL Capital chairman Gary Kuo to acquire CNS Cable Corp., a multiple systems operator, from MBK Partners.
- Advised Facebook on OTT regulations.
Jones Day's global reach platform complements the Taipei practice's focus on cross-border technology transactions. The team includes lawyers with experience in M&A transactions, cross-border asset acquisitions, local regulatory issues, joint ventures and shareholder agreements. The practice group is jointly headed by Tommy Chen, who has substantial experience in technology licensing and tech transfers, and John Lin, who was a lead partner in General Plastic Industrial's $96m acquisition of printer supplier Katun Corporation. Another name to note is Raymond Wang, who advises on antitrust and competition matters for telecoms and technology companies.
Other key lawyers:
Siliconware Precision Industries Co.
Dentsu Aegis Network
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Holy Stone Enterprise
General Plastic Industrial Co., Ltd.
Fubon Financial Holding
- Represented outsourced semiconductor assembly and test (OSAT) company – concerning the formation of a holding company with Advanced Semiconductor Engineering.
- Advised General Plastic Company on its acquisition of Katun Corporation, a provider of OEM-compatible imaging supplies, toner, photoreceptors, and parts for copiers, printers, and other equipment, from private equity fund, Monomoy Capital Partners, in a deal worth $96m.
- Assisted Qisda Corporation, an Original Design Manufacturing and Original Equipment Manufacturing company, to acquire a majority stake in DFI Inc, a motherboard and displays manufacturer.
- Assisted Universal Vision Biotechnology, a company listed on Taipei Exchange, in forming a joint venture with Hangzhou Dian Holding Limited.
- Represented Taiwan Mask Corporation, a leading reticle and photomask manufacturer with fully equipped facilities in the field of semiconductor industry, in the acquisition of majority shares in Weida Hi-Tech Co., Ltd, from multiple individual shareholders.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm's TMT group has considerable experience in structuring deals and advising on matters related to telecoms and IT such as cable laws, satellite laws and direct broadcasting, cell phone and IT services, and licensing. The team also has an expanding focus on the e-commerce sector. Yvonne Liu has been advising Alipay, Alibaba and Taobao on data protection and payment services regulation.
Other key lawyers:
Alibaba and Taobao
- Advised Alipay on data protection laws and relevant regulations relating to offering payment services.
- Advised Alibaba and Taobao, a subsidiary, on data protection and Taiwanese data regulation.
Eiger has particular strengths in IT and telecoms work, where it advises on data protection, regulatory matters and cyber-security. Several team members have backgrounds in Taiwan's technology sector, and its TMT practice also works closely with the IP team to provide comprehensive service in tech sectors mandates. The practice group is jointly headed by John Eastwood and Heather Hsiao, and also includes associates Nathan Snyder and Wendy Chu, who has assisted with several cases involving major telecoms multinationals. Also of note, Edward Swift joined from Dolby, strengthening the team's technological expertise.
- Review of personal data protection policies for a US-based software multinational.
- Reputation-protection campaign involving letters sent to all the major online and bricks-and-mortar bookstores in Taiwan to stop the sale and distribution of a book deemed defamatory about the client, a Magic Circle firm.
- Review of personal data and cyber-security issues for a European financial services provider.
- Review of personal data protection policies for a major outsourcing organization.
- Review of data protection policies and e-commerce compliance for a luxury goods brand.
Guo Ju Law Firm
Guo Ju Law Firm deals with domestic transactional, regulatory, licensing and IP matters in the public and private sectors. The team is working to develop its data protection offering, and has developing expertise in the fintech and healthcare sectors. The practice group is jointly headed by Paul Chu and Ingrid Tsai.
Ministry of Economic Affairs
Development and Evaluation Commission, Executive Yuan
Ministry of Finance
National Taxation Bureau, Ministry of Finance
Health Promotion Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare
Ministry of the Interior
Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd
The Bankers Association
Taiwan Power Company
- Audited the Taiwan Environmental Agency’s ‘Green Points System’, which allows those participating to collect ‘points’ by using public transportation or making sustainable purchases.
- Assisted Chuan Lian Enterprise Co., a retailer, to set up an e-payment system.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law offers a range of TMT services, including advice on commercial contracts and licensing. Among the team's clients are a major music streaming platform, an AI company, and online payment services companies. The key figure in the team is Lipu Lee, who has extensive experience acting for start-ups.
Other key lawyers:
- Provided a consultation on TMT regulations to a Korean company working with automotive AI.
- Provided a consultation to a US-based carmaker expanding their in-car entertainment systems.
- Assisted a music streaming platform with its payment scheme.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law's practice includes a wide range of areas, from regulatory aspects to M&A in the industry. The firm assists clients in obtaining special licences or permits, and advises them on regulatory compliance issues and business operations, antitrust reviews, market competition issues, fair trade practices, and contract matters relating to the telecom and media industries.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law acts for local and international technology and telecoms companies, and has a particular strength in contentious work, acting alongside its IP and disputes practices. The team has also handled investments by private funds into the hi-tech sector. George Lin and Kaiju Lee jointly lead the team.
Nutmeg Saving and Investment Limited
Colour Life Services Group Co., Ltd.
- Advised Nutmeg Saving and Investment on robot banking, a new type of financial advisory service.