Fröberg & Lundholm Advokatbyrå is the leading boutique for environmental issues, and primarily assists large domestic and multinational clients from the steel, energy, waste management and mining sectors with obtaining the relevant environmental clearance for projects. The firm also has experience in EU and international environmental and land-use law, advising government agencies from a number of European and Asian countries. Practice head Mikael Berglund has recently advised on infrastructure projects in the Baltic sea and mining expeditions, as well as the criminal elements of environmental law. Another key team member is Magnus Fröberg, who is an active litigator in the area and also assists with commercial transactions.
Environment in Sweden
Fröberg & Lundholm Advokatbyrå
Other key lawyers:
Magnus Fröberg; Mikael Hägglöf; Mikael Lundholm; Emma Lund
Nord Stream 2 AG
Vattenfall Vindkraft AB
Ørsted Wind Power AS
- Assisting Northvolt AB with the establishment of a battery factory, both a general production facility in the north of Sweden as well as a test facility in the middle of Sweden.
- Assisting SCA AB with the first bio-refinery in Sweden, and also providing continued legal advice to the SCA group of companies relating to pulp and paper operations, saw mills, etc. in Sweden.
- Advising Vattenfall Vindkraft AB on three major offshore wind parks in the Swedish exclusive economic zone.
Mannheimer Swartling is a go-to firm for environmental matters, and frequently handles permit applications for the largest power plant, mine and waste disposal projects in Sweden. The practice underwent a changing of the guard in 2020 - Bo Hansson and Per Molander stepped down as partners to take up advisory roles, and Felicia Ullerstam now leads the practice; she advises on the regulatory aspects of large infrastructure projects including the extension of the Stockholm underground. From Malmö, Therese Strömshed is another key team member and assists with commercial transactions and energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
Bo Hansson; Per Molander; Therese Strömshed; Joel Mårtensson; Anna Bryngelsson
‘Their service level and quality in delivery is that of a full service business law firm while their competence and experience matches the best specialised environmental law firms. A very good choice for complex and potentially controversial projects. They deliver with quality from the start and they can always put in an extra gear if needed.’
‘Partner Felicia Ullerstam has significant experience within metals and mining. She and her team are easy to work with and can adapt to the situation as needed.’
‘They are very professional and knowledgeable.’
‘Very knowledgeable and professional. Answers on time and are well prepared before meetings.’
‘The team has exceptional knowledge about the environmental legislation and is very skilful in communication. The team also has very good knowledge of environmental impacts, which is important to be able to explain complex matters in law processes. The team has broad experience in lawsuits.’
‘Felicia Ullerstam is the best lawyer I have worked with. She is very skilful in hearings in the environmental court. It is often complex issues and Felicia is able to explain to the court in a clear way. Felicia’s colleagues are also very good and easy to work with.’
Aarhus Karlshamn Sweden AB
AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik
Alfa Laval AB
Avalon Minerals Viscaria AB
Barsebäck Kraft AB
Boliden Mineral AB
Cambrex Karlskoga AB
City of Stockholm
Domsjö Fabriker AB
Eskilstuna Energi och Miljö AB
ESS ERIC Council
Heidelberg Cement Northern Europe Group, including HeidelbergCement Sweden AB Cementa AB, Betongindustri AB and Sand och Grus AB Jehander
INOVYN Sweden AB
Nordic Trout Sweden AB
NKT HV Cables
NV Nordisk Vindkraft AB, Swedish subsidiary to RES Ltd.
RWE Renewables AB
Ovako Sweden AB
- Advised Boliden Mineral AB on environmental permit matters relating to its copper smelter and recycling plant for electronic waste, including a deep rock depository for industrial waste.
- Represented Polish gas transmission system operator GAZ-SYSTEM S.A. in permit proceedings at governmental level in the €2.5bn Baltic Pipe Project.
- Represented the City of Stockholm in a matter involving compensation to 1100 land owners around Lake Mälaren, following a permit to increase the outflow of water from Lake Mälaren to the Baltic Sea through a sluice.
With offices in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö, Advokatfirman Vinge has comprehensive environmental expertise, spanning transactional support, regulatory advice and disputes. The group provides extensive advice on corporate transactions, conducting environmental due diligence, risk identification processes and risk allocations relating to M&A. Johan Cederblad leads the Stockholm team, which also includes Thomas Sjöberg, who handles public and private transactions, and assists with permit applications for complex, high-value projects including wind farms. Ingela Malmborg and Robert Deli are the key names in Malmö and Gothenburg respectively.
Johan Cederblad; Ingela Malmborg; Robert Deli
Other key lawyers:
‘High quality, good availability.’
‘Thomas Sjöberg – very experienced, good human knowledge. Johan Cederblad – effective, good listener who understands our situation very well. Open minded. Both very updated about court cases.’
KF Fastigheter AB
Vasa Vind AB
Connected Infrastructure Capital GmbH
Välinge Innovation Sweden AB
Kungälv Närenergi AB
IPCO Sweden AB
Öresundskraft Kraft och Värme AB
Norra Åsbo Renhållnings AB
- Advised Vasa Vind AB on the permit application for the Hällberget wind farm, one of the largest onshore wind farms in Sweden.
- Assisting NÅRAB with a matter before the regional permitting environmental authority covering an application for an amendment of the existing environmental permit with the purpose of extending the prescribed period for the final coverage of an on-site closed-down landfill.
- Advised Equitix on the acquisition of all shares in Brotorp Power AB, which owns and operates the 46.2MW Brotorp wind park in Mönsterås Municipality, from BlackRock.
Advokatfirman Delphi's environmental practice is instructed by notable clients from the transport, infrastructure and energy sectors to advise on permits and regulatory procedures, real estate acquisitions and liability issues relating to environmental damage. Erica Nobel focuses on advising large industrial and energy companies on permit applications, while Oskar Frankki specialises in contaminated land work and handles liability claims and commercial contracts. Christian Härdgård, who previously worked at the Administrative Court of Malmö, has experience on both sides of permit application proceedings.
Erica Nobel; Oskar Frankki; Christian Härdgård
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very efficient as a result of being very experienced in this area of expertise. They have been representing us and many other companies in the same line of business for over 20 years in a variety of issues in the area of environmental legislation. Hence they can refer to the past and they mix this knowledge successfully with present demands and laws.’
‘Christian Härdgård: Intelligent, nice, great knowledge within his area of expertise, always gives a quick response without compromising the quality of the service given. Erica Nobel also has the same qualities as Christian. Delphi always give us a feeling of being an important client who they aim to give the best service fast without compromising the quality of the work they do.’
‘We have received excellent advice from Christian Härdgård.‘
‘Our dedicated team in Delphi is Christian Härdgård and Erica Nobel, and they have set the standard very high for us. The outcome speaks for itself, and we are very pleased with their work!‘
‘Intricate knowledge of Swedish environmental law.‘
HSB Skåne ek för
Oresund Heavy Industries AB
Peab Bostad AB
Nordic Storage AB
Scandinavian Tank Storage AB
RGS Nordic AB
Copenhagen Malmö Port AB
SPI Miljösaneringsfond AB (SPIMFAB)
- Acted for Swerock throughout several new permit proceedings.
- Advised Oresund Heavy Industries AB on a permit process.
- Advised Sun Chemical on a very complicated matter regarding contaminated land.
Foyen Advokatfirma's broad practice includes handling the environmental elements of commercial transactions, regularity issues, financing work and procurement matters. Pia Pehrson leads the practice and, leveraging her previous experience working in-house at an energy company, is well-equipped to advise on all aspects of mandates in the energy sector including permit applications. On the contentious side, Mikael Westin represents private and public clients in a variety of disputes. At associate level, Caterina Carreman assists with permit application processes relating to mining operations, wind farms and water treatment centres.
Other key lawyers:
Caterina Carreman; Mikael Westin
Ellevio (former Fortum Distribution)
Nordion Energi (Swedegas/Weum)
- Advising Dragon Mining (Sweden) AB on its permit applications under the environmental code for an underground gold mine in Lycksele/Storuman in northern Sweden.
- Assisting Tertiary Minerals plc with its permit application (under the Minerals Act) for a new fluorspar mine in Storuman in northern Sweden.
- Assisting VA SYD with permits for Grevie water supply and questions regarding compensation to landowners, lease agreements etc.
MAQS Advokatbyrå advises on all areas of environmental law, and is instructed by public authorities and domestic and multinational companies. The department has extensive permit expertise, and recently acted for Lilla Harrie Valskvarn AB in precedent-setting proceedings in the Supreme Court and the Land and Environmental Supreme Court regarding hydropower activities. Christina Rydell Ahlström leads the team and assists with permit applications relating to a variety of projects, including water plants and wind farms. The team also includes Magdalena Persson (one of the firm's founding partners), who handles liability issues for municipalities relating to contaminated land.
Christina Rydell Ahlström
Other key lawyers:
‘Very polite and interested to listen to the problem. Want to move forward and solve the problems.’
‘Very good listeners and unique experience in different parts of the case/environmental law. Christina Rydell Ahlström is easy to call and she always responds very quickly.’
‘Strong team with lengthy track record in the environmental practice for renewable energy.’
‘They are quick and you can trust them.’
‘High availability and flexibility when support needed.’
‘They are very dedicated.’
‘We experience MAQS Advokatbyrå as very professional and with a high level of knowledge and understanding of renewable energy, both legally and from a more comprehensive perspective. An overall understanding how the market and the processes work creates great added value for our assignments.’
‘We feel that MAQS Advokatbyrå is the leading firm within renewable energy in Sweden. Christina Rydell Ahlström contributes with her professionalism and is keen to know more about our business to be able to guarantee best in class services.’
Lilla Harrie Valskvarn AB
Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg
Serneke Fastighet AB
Berendsen Textil Service AB
- Advising the Municipality of Ale regarding the liability for contaminated land within the former industrial area Älvängen.
- Advised Lilla Harrie Valskvarn AB on the examination of a permit to use the company’s hydropower station for the production of electricity generation.
- Assisting Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg with issues relating to contaminated land.
Setterwalls is active across all areas of environmental law, and has extensive experience in regulatory and permit processes, disputes and the environmental aspects of corporate transactions. Practice head Anders Linnerborg has particular expertise in advising clients from across the Nordic region on their operations in Sweden. Tove Andersson is highly regarded by clients, who praise her as 'the number one top lawyer within the environment field'; she has been appointed by the Ministry of Environment as an expert in a inquiry into environmental legislation. The team was recently strengthened further with the arrival of Malin Wikström from Front Advokater in 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Malin Wikström; Tove Andersson; Linnea Ljung; Tove Skärblom
‘They have exceptional competence in the environmental area not found in other firms. Especially Tove Andersson stands out as a highly competent and efficient lawyer. They are able to rapidly help with all kinds of legal dilemmas and matters.’
‘Tove Andersson is the main reason we use the environmental department of Setterwalls. Tove Andersson really stands out among lawyers in the environmental legal area. No matter what area we need help with, she always delivers.’
‘Very deep knowledge and practical experience.’
‘Anders Linnerborg, outstanding practitioner, lot of practical experience, focuses on key issues, practical and hands-on.’
‘Well informed and skilled in the specific questions and/or topics. If further expertise is required the team has a wide and well-established network. Very nice and pleasant to work with and always maintaining a high moral and ethics.’
‘I almost always work with Linnea Ljung who is open for new angles of approach to problems.’
‘Take full responsibility to deliver the help required and make progress.’
‘The approach to an issue/topic is always very open minded and hence, the team works hard to understand all aspects before doing any statements or suggesting any solution or settlement. When assured of correct understanding then take the lead and suggest a way forward.’
Borås Energi och Miljö AB
Stena Renewable AB
Svenska Kaolin AB
Skanska Öresund AB
Befesa Scandust AB
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
Veidekke Industri AB
Titan X Holding AB
Bertling Enviro AB
Samgräv Recycling AB
NCC Industry AB
Eurowind Energy AB
- Assisted Crane Currency with the application process for a new environmental permit for Tumba Bruk.
- Assisting the majority of the major wind power companies in Sweden with various complex regulatory permitting procedures, whereby close scrutiny is applied concerning the interests of reindeer, Sami people, eagles and protected birds as well as securing technical efficient permits.
- Acting for Befesa in several proceedings including an insurance claim for the prohibition period when the environmental authorities stopped operations, which is a case in a court in Bilbao, Spain.
Alrutz' Advokatbyrå AB
Alrutz' Advokatbyrå AB is a boutique firm, which specialises in all areas of environmental law and advises on mining rights, water law and pollution issues. The firm also provides bespoke training to clients relating to regulatory requirements and processes. Louis Vasseur, who stepped down as partner in 2019, is well regarded for his expertise in the energy industry.
Other key lawyers:
Louis Vasseur; Thomas Carlberg; Mats Björk; Susanne Witt-Strömer
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB's environment department collaborates with the firm's corporate team to advise on the environmental due diligence elements of commercial transactions and risk assessments in relation to M&A. Mikael Wärnsby leads the practice and advises on permit applications before the environmental courts, and represents clients in disputes before the general courts in relation to damages claims and nuisance matters.
Other key lawyers:
Johanna Rugart; Sara Andersson
‘Highly qualified within the field of energy law.’
‘The Lindahl individuals are very committed, and easy to talk with, which is useful for us as we do not have a legal education. They explain things in a simple and correct way.’
‘Mikael Wärnsby is flexible, skilled, and knows our business and communicates/gives feedback very well.’
Trelleborgs Hamn AB
Baltic Cable AB
Municipality of Halmstad
Municipality of Vellinge
- Acting as legal counsel for Vellinge kommun on a project regarding the licensing (water operations) of embankments at Falsterbonäset as prevention against rising sea levels.
- Acted as counsel for harbour company Trelleborgs Hamn AB on the prolongation of permits for a harbour development (granted by Environmental Court in 2020).
- Represented Baltic Cable AB as the operator of a Swedish-German HVDC line in the Court of European Union as well as Swedish Courts.
Under the leadership of Mårten Tagaeus, Magnusson Advokatbyrå is particularly active in the waste treatment sector; the firm advises some of the biggest waste treatment companies across Scandinavia on permit applications and the prolongation of permits. The firm also acts for clients in a number of other industries, and regularly assists with the environmental aspects of energy and infrastructure projects and emission allowances.
Other key lawyers:
Paulina Tengroth; Leon Wadman
‘Their strength is their good knowledge of environmental laws, and good experience in applying for different environmental permissions for companies.’
‘Magnusson, and Mårten Tagaeus, offers not only excellent legal advice on complex environmental permit processes, but also excellent strategic advice.’
RGS Nordic AB
Jönköpings kommun (the Municipality of Jönköping)
- Advising RGS Nordic AB on the expansion of its existing waste disposal plant in Gothenburg.
- Assisted Viavest AB with obtaining a permit under the Swedish Environmental Code for environmentally hazardous activities and water activities concerning a landfill of inert waste in Klovsten outside of Gothenburg.
- Acting for the Municipality of Jönköping on a permit application concerning water purification techniques for the water emissions from the municipality’s sewage treatment plant.