Mannheimer Swartling’s ‘expertise in environmental law is on par with the best niche law firms and is combined with the service level and attitude of a full-service business law firm’. The group handles the full spectrum of environmental mandates with particular expertise in permit processes relating to power plants, factories, mines, waste disposal plants and infrastructure projects. The team also leverages the firm’s wider departments to assist with the environment elements of transactions, compliance issues and regulatory matters. Anna Bryngelsson leads the practice, which includes Therese Strömshed, who handles cross-border energy projects; permit specialists Felicia Ullerstam and Joel Mårtensson, and newly promoted partner Caroline Perlström in Gothenburg.
Environment in Sweden
‘Their expertise in environmental law is on par with the best niche law firms and they combine that with the service level and attitude of a full service business law firm. They have the capacity to manage comprehensive permit procedures and other complicated environmental law matters. They always deliver with high quality.’
‘I especially appreciate working with partner Felicia Ullerstam. She and her team have given us very valuable assistance for many years.’
‘High level of competence good teamwork and openness, good ability to continuously keep the client updated and informed, inclusive with the ability to have good discussions about decisions and strategic issues.’
‘I think MS often comes up with new ideas and other ways of tackling problems. They don’t get stuck.’
‘Joel Mårtensson is very pragmatic, down to earth and nice, always fast responses.’
‘Deep knowledge of the legal frame work and extensive experience from other key projects in the field which is valuable. Knowledge of the project/field that is not related to the legal aspects. Relevant strategy guidance.’
‘Dedication and go the “extra distance”. Good leadership skills and project management.’
Boliden Mineral AB
HeidelbergCement Northern Europe Group
City of Stockholm
Ovako Sweden AB
Copperstone Resources AB
Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB
- Representing Boliden Mineral AB in environmental permit matters related to the Aitik mine, including a permit process for an additional open pit to be included with the existing mine.
- Acting as lead counsel on OX2 AB’s large scale offshore wind development projects on the Swedish Exclusive Economic Zone and on the client’s cross-border energy projects.
- Acting as counsel to Cementa AB/HeidelbergCement Northern Europe in all legal matters related to the project to build the world’s first carbon-neutral cement plant in Slite, Sweden, through the use of carbon capture and storage (CCS).
Setterwalls ‘puts together a very competent and collaborative dynamic team with a holistic approach’ to regulatory, transactional and contentious work including advising on water rights issues, renewable energy projects, operational matters and legislative work. The group acts for a broad range of domestic and global clients and has recently been advising Harvard University on the novel SCoPEx project, which relates to developments in solar geoengineering technology. Anders Linnerborg heads up the team and is active in water matters and permitting issues. Other key names include Tove Andersson , who was recently appointed as an expert in an inquiry by the Ministry of Environment; Malin Wikström, who regularly handles permit applications; and Linnea Ljung, who ‘provides very sound and solution-focused advice’.
‘Overall very strong support and commitment to drive clients interest.’
‘Linnea Ljung – excellent qualifications and great drive to represent clients interest as well as great collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and teams.’
‘They are a very good team and they are always well prepared for our meeting. Easy to understand. I can highly recommend this team!’
‘They get back to us very quickly, always one expert with us when we have a meeting and they are easy to understand. Tove is very dedicated and inspiring, we would highly recommend her!’
‘A dedicated team, bringing a variety of competencies to the table, being able to successfully lead through complex matters in reasonable time and for reasonable costs also in difficult times.’
‘We have valued the efficiency and pertinacity in dealing with matters, the ability to sort the relevant aspects in a wide group of stakeholders and interests and the open calm and friendly way of communicating with the clients and counterparts. Good response times.’
‘It is nice to have one contact person, who also makes sure that what we get is of high quality. In general high quality work and personnel with excellent competence.’
‘Tove Andersson is the best environmental lawyer in Sweden that I know of! She has great knowledge, but also the ability to listen in and adjust when she gets new knowledge. Our field of work is continuously evolving and legal practice and courts interpretation changes often. She helps us interpret new verdicts quickly and accurately and assists us in all environmental matters. Of course she has a legal team to help her, but she makes sure that all is of high quality.’
‘They are the go to law firm for working on projects in Sweden and/or with Swedish Companies. Their environmental practice is highly sophisticated, with projects on the cutting edge of environmental issues such as climate change, environmental justice and new technologies. They are leaders in the development of large scale hydrogen power as an alternative to hydrocarbons, a technology which is expected to become a major source of power as developed economies attempt to combat climate change.’
‘Tove Andersson is one of the leading partners in their environmental group. She is a pleasure to work with and really knows what she is doing.’
Borås Energi och Miljö AB
Stena Renewable AB
Svenska Kaolin AB
Skanska Öresund AB
Befesa Scandust AB
Clarendon House Capital
Rabbalshede Kraft AB
Veidekke Industri AB
Titan X Holding AB
Bertling Enviro AB
Samgräv Recycling AB, part of Bellman Group
NCC Industry AB
Eurowind Energy AB
Orkla Foods Sverige AB
Sveriges geologiska undersökning
Jönköping Energi AB
ÅGAB Syd AB
Scandinavian stone AB
Naturstenskompaniet Sverige AB
O Kavli AB
Port of Gothenburg, City of Gothenburg
- Advised Harvard University on the project SCoPEx. The SCoPEx project test would have tried out delivery equipment that might be used in a later experiment to release a tiny amount of reflective material 20km into the atmosphere, to help researchers better understand how such “solar geoengineering” might help cool the planet.
- Assisting longstanding client, Stena Renewable on multiple projects including assisting Tvinnesheda Energi AB, a company within the Stena Renewable sphere, with a guiding case regarding final turbine dimensions for a wind farm in southern Sweden at the Land and Environment Court of Appeal.
- Representing Östhammar municipality regarding Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB’s ongoing permit application proceeding for a repository of spent nuclear fuel from Swedish nuclear reactors.
Advokatfirman Vinge’s ‘available, supportive, very efficient and helpful’ practice is led from Stockholm, Malmö and Gothenburg by the ‘proactive, to-the-point and pragmatic’ Johan Cederblad, Ingela Malmborg and Robert Deli respectively. The ‘very experienced’ Thomas Sjöberg is also singled out in the Stockholm office and has experience in transactional work, permit applications, contaminated area matters and administrative and civil litigation. With expertise across the full range of environmental mandates, the group has recently been active in transactional and project work; in a recent highlight, the team advised Vasa Vind on its permit application for an onshore wind farm in Sweden.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast and on point deliveries with the capability to support outside the box if needed.’
‘A down to earth approach with strong skills within their field and advice is always clearly understandable and directly usable.’
‘Partner Johan Cederblad is proactive, to-the-point, pragmatic and highly professional.’
‘The team is available and supportive, allowing us to meet deadlines, very efficient and helpful!’
‘Johan Cederblad is very competent, calm and gives clear and considered advice on how to navigate within the field of environmental law, based on the wider context of our business.’
‘High quality, good availability’
‘Thomas Sjöberg – very experienced, good knowledge. Johan Cederblad – effective, good listener understood our situation very well. Open minded. Both very updated about court cases.’
Vasa Vind AB
Connected Infrastructure Capital GmbH
Välinge Innovation Sweden AB
Norra Hunna Vind AB
IPCO Sweden AB
Öresundskraft Kraft och Värme AB
Norra Åsbo Renhållnings AB
- Represented Vasa Vind AB in the permit application for one of the largest onshore wind farms in Sweden. The application for the wind farm Hällberget includes 125 wind turbines, as well as representing the client in an appeal regarding a permit application for a wind farm in Västra Kinneskogen in the west of Sweden.
- Representing long-standing client NÅRAB (Norra Åsbo Renhållnings AB), in a matter before the regional permitting environmental authority covering an application for an amendment of the existing environmental permit with the purpose of extending the prescribed period for the final coverage of an on-site closed down landfill.
- Advised Alecta in connection with an investment of SEK1.6bn in Stena Renewable AB, of which SEK600m will be invested over a five-year period.
Fielding a specialised team that is ‘very committed, easy to get hold of and delivers on time’, Advokatfirman Delphi assists clients with environmental permits, contaminated land work, liability issues, regulatory mandates and transactional matters. Key names include Erica Nobel , Christian Härdgård, Oskar Frankki and Elisabeth Werner; Nobel and Härdgård focus on environmental permit applications, Frankki regularly advises on contaminated land issues and Werner is active in the heavy industry, infrastructure, water and energy sectors.
‘The team are highly committed to the various tasks/cases we have been involved in. They also have a very strong network of specialists, inside the bureau as well as external, that contributes in gathering the information, facts and investigations to move the cases forward. Most important is that they make all efforts required to understand our business, and the business needs, which has been vital in building up the cases in which they assist us with, almost as an “in-house” legal department which comes to assistance with very short notice when cases comes up.’
‘Erica Nobel and Christian Härdgård are very nice, fast, intelligent.’
‘At times when required, they put in more work than can be expected of them. All to achieve set goals.’
‘I would like to highlight Elisabeth Werner, who always does her utmost to guide and support current matters. I would like to highlight in particular her ability to cooperate, her legal knowledge and her excellent knowledge of the industry in which I work.’
‘I have been working exclusively with one of Delphi’s partners in my projects for a long time and she always outperforms. She has excellent to exceptionally good knowledge of the industry and the issues that my/our projects concern (environmental legislation and its application). Always available if really needed and works solution-oriented, especially in cases where priority is required.’
‘The practice is well staffed with qualified and highly service orientated individuals, always with an ear on the ground picking up what’s new in the environmental sector in general and for our part the aggregates industry in particular. The practice is of great value to our business as we, for example, require experienced and creative lawyers representing us in permit application processes in the Swedish environmental courts.’
‘Partner Elisabeth Werner is one of the lawyers with the experience and the creativity that we require. Her in-house experience from the construction and aggregates industry is very valuable to us. In addition, Elisabeth is a highly service orientated lawyer bringing sharp advice with a smile. The same qualities applies to partner Erica Nobel (Head of practice) with yet another plus in the form of Erica’s even more vast experience as an environmental lawyer.’
‘The lawyers I have been working with at Delphi are very knowledgeable in environmental law, very good at writing and finding arguments for our cause. They are also very committed, easy to get hold of and deliver on time. In addition, they are really nice. We have been working almost exclusively with Delphi for almost 20 years now.’
HSB Skåne ek för
Oresund Heavy Industries AB
Peab Bostad AB
Nordic Storage AB
Scandinavian Tank Storage AB
MKB FastighetsVEIDEC AB
RGS Nordic AB
Copenhagen Malmö Port AB
SPI Miljösaneringsfond AB (SPIMFAB)
- Advised Swerock throughout several new permit proceedings. The permit proceedings comprises several difficult legal environmental assessments, including species protection and biodiversity, remediation, groundwater drainage and transport issues.
- Advised OHI throughout a permit process comprising several difficult legal environmental assessments, including emission of VOC (volatile organic compound) and discharges of process water.
- Advised Sun Chemical for several years regarding a very complicated matter regarding contaminated land.
Under the leadership of Pia Pehrson, who clients praise for her ‘excellent knowledge and in-depth insight’, Foyen Advokatfirma handles the full spectrum of environment work including permits, construction contracts, financing issues, procurement work and transactional matters. The team is also a key name for mining sector mandates and recently advised Dragon Mining on its permit applications for an underground gold mine. Caterina Carreman is a key name at the associate level and regularly handles permit applications.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of the environmental issues related to offshore wind.’
‘Both Pia Pherson and Caterina Carreman have demonstrated excellent knowledge and in-depth insight to environmental issues related to offshore wind.’
‘Competence within the field of environmental law.’
Ellevio (former Fortum Distribution)
Nordion Energi (Swedegas/Weum)
- Advising Dragon Mining (Sweden) AB on its permit applications under the environmental code for an underground gold mine in Lycksele/Storuman and a new gold mine in Fäboliden, Lycksele in northern Sweden.
- Advising RWE Renewable on its permit applications for two offshore wind farms in the waters south of Sweden.
- Advising OBOS in connection with environmental liability issues regarding soil pollution concerning a new housing development in central Sweden.
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB’s client roster of Swedish and foreign companies, utilities, operators and developers benefit from the firm’s expertise in the environmental elements of corporate transactions; the group is active in due diligence work, permitting issues and risk assessments related to M&A transactions. Practice head Mikael Wärnsby regularly advises on permit applications relating to infrastructure projects, Johanna Rugart focuses on power production, power transmission and industrial projects, and senior associate Sara Andersson handles contentious work.
‘We are happy for the collaboration with Lindahls and they have shown both interest in and openness for an unusual subject and also put in extra effort.’
‘Direct and professional communication with client. Team is very competent, under great supervision of senior staff.’
‘An extremely wide range with many very experienced specialists. Easy to get in touch with when you need quick help! Work pretty fast – fast and excellent feedback without long waiting times!’
‘Very committed and knowledgeable employees, they immediately understand our needs as customers/clients.’
‘The team has an exceptional understanding of the environmental framework as it relates to local government law. In our experience this is unique, as most legal practices have a strong focus on civil law from a private perspective, giving this practice an advantage due to the fact they understand “both” sides of environmental law. This is beneficial to both local governments and private/corporate clients, and has been crucial in meeting our needs of legal counsel. Regarding tasks requiring collaboration, the practice has been exceptionally cooperative and has proven this to be a fact both relating to internal as well as external collaboration.’
Trelleborgs Hamn AB
Municipality of Vellinge
Skandia Fastigheter Storstockholm AB
Coeli Real Estate AB
E.ON Energidistribution AB
Eolus Vind AB
European Energy A/S
Sydkraft Hydropower AB
Borgholm Energi AB
MOM Förarcoaching AB
Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s expertise encompasses permit applications, hazardous activity work, water-related issues, risk assessments and emission allowances; the group is also particularly adept at matters relating to soil contamination and remedial claims. Mårten Tagaeus leads the department, which is also recognised for its waste disposal expertise. At the senior associate level, Paulina Tengroth and Kristina Holmqvist are the key names to note.
RGS Nordic AB
Trosa Vagnhärads Mark AB
- Advising Wallhamn on the environmental permit application proceedings of an adjacent stone quarry, in order to ensure that Wallhamn’s interests are considered in the best way possible.
- Representing RGS Nordic AB, one of the largest environmental and recycling companies in Scandinavia, regarding an expansion of its existing waste disposal plant in Gothenburg.
- Representing the Municipality of Jönköping in a permit application for the municipality’s waste water treatment plant named ‘Simsholmens avloppsreningsverk’.
At MAQS Advokatbyrå, Magdalena Persson now leads the department following the departure of former group head Christina Rydell Ahlström to Morris Law in mid-2021. The practice handles the full gamut of environment work with notable experience in liability issues relating to contaminated real property, environmental permits, regulatory work and issues in the water and hydropower sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘High knowledge, Easy to contact. Very Good discussions.’
‘A small and efficient team helped us with our questions regarding environmental law and practice, the team was a good discussion partner and showed us a reasonable path forward.’
‘MAQS law firm consists of a number of lawyers who have broad expertise in a number of areas. Since you have had assignments all over Sweden, you also have a great deal of experience in various areas. Professional treatment and knowledgeable lawyers.’
‘Through MAQS law firm and lawyers Magdalena Persson and Jessica Svantesson, we have received professional advice and concrete legal assistance in a number of cases. What is distinctive is their ability to explain the law in an understandable way and a very positive attitude.’
Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg
Sunds Mekaniska AB (Pichano group of companies)
Sundfrakt AB/Delta Terminal AB/Åkerigrus I/ Sundsvall AB (Sundfrakt group of companies)
SIA Glass AB
- Assisting Sunds Mekaniska AB with its contacts with supervisory authorities regarding liability for investigations of contaminated land.
- Advising the municipality of Ale regarding the liability for contaminated land within the former industrial area Älvängen.
- Assisting Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg with a complex and ongoing situation regarding contaminated land.