Environment in Sweden
Land and environment boutique Fröberg & Lundholm Advokatbyrå assists leading names in mining, waste management, paper production and wind power with regulatory issues relating to large-scale projects and also acts in contentious matters before the Swedish authorities. Key names in the group include Magnus Fröberg, Mikael Lundholm and Mikael Berglund.
Mannheimer Swartling fields an extensive team of environmental law professionals in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö, which handles the full spectrum of issues for government bodies, municipalities and leading names in the energy and industrial sectors. Stand-out names including practice head Felicia Ullerstam, Bo Hansson and Per Molander handle market-leading permit applications for construction projects involving power plants, mines, factories, infrastructure projects and wastewater facilities. Therese Strömshed and Joel Mårtensson are go-to names for the environmental elements of M&A transactions. The practice is also noted for its experience in complex product compliance matters involving chemical and plant protection legislation.
‘A competent team with a lot of experience which is client oriented and professional.‘
‘Partners are very dedicated to their work and always work for the best interests of their clients. Associates are hardworking and more or less always available. They support their partners in a fantastic way, giving the team a great strength in complicated cases and court hearings.‘
Aarhus Karlshamn Sweden AB
AB Storstockholms Lokaltrafik
Alfa Laval AB
Avalon Minerals Viscaria
Barsebäck Kraft AB
Cambrex Karlskoga AB
City of Stockholm
Domsjö Fabriker AB (part of the Aditya Birla Group)
Eskilstuna Energi och Miljö AB
ESS ERIC Council
Heidelberg Cement Northern Group
INOVYN Sweden AB (formerly INEOS Sweden AB)
Maple Power Ltd
Metsä Board Sverige AB
Nordic Trout Sweden AB (formerly Ålands Fiskförädling Sverige AB)
NKT HV Cables
NV Nordisk Vindkraft AB,
Orsted Wind Power A/A
Ovako Sweden AB
Oxelösunds Hamn Aktiebolag / OxGas AB
Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A.
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Suez Recycling AB (formerly SITA Sverige AB)
SKF Sverige AB
Stockholm County Council
Svensk Kärnbränslehantering AB
Trollhättan Energi AB
Vattudalens Fisk AB
Villeroy & Boch Gustavsberg AB
Volvo Car Cooperation
Överumans Fisk AB
- Assisted Björkdalsgruvan with obtaining a new environmental permit for operations at its gold mine.
- Successfully defended ABB against a claim for damages based on its environmental liability for historic operations.
- Assisted Boliden with permit matters related to operations at its copper smelter, including a deep rock depository for industrial waste.
Across its three offices, Advokatfirman Vinge provides expertise in environmental law for all major sectors including the energy, construction, food production, waste management and heavy manufacturing industries. Key Stockholm contacts Thomas Sjöberg and Johan Cederblad handle the environmental elements of the firm's leading M&A mandates, permit applications pertaining to wind farms and wastewater activities, and appeals before the Land and Environmental Court. Gothenburg-based Robert Deli has particular expertise in real estate-related issues. The Malmö office is led by Ingela Malmborg.
‘Provides high quality and good availability.‘
‘Competent, efficient and pragmatic.‘
‘The firm is located in many places in Sweden thus can combine different partners from different locations to build the right team for a project.‘
‘Johan Cederblad shows great skill in environmental law in Sweden. He has the key ability to provide excellent advice in order to reach practical results necessary to maintain and continue a project.‘
‘Johan Cederblad is professional, flexible and provides excellent services with a pragmatic but still ethical vision.‘
‘Johan Cederblad has very impressive knowledge and experience within his field.‘
‘Johan Cederblad is very pleasant to work with, easy to talk to and makes a very good impression. He explains in layman’s terms and makes sure you understand which is very appreciated. He takes the initiative in what to do next, generating new ideas which guides us in a very good way.‘
KF Fastigheter AB
Skånemejerier Group (Member of Groupe Lactalis)
Kungälv Närenergi AB
Norra Åsbo Renhållnings AB
- Advising KF Fastigheter on a permit application process relating to a residential property development on forest land in the vicinity of Stockholm.
- Advised Skånemejerier Group on the IED permit application for future developments to its Malmö-based dairy.
- Advised Latour-Gruppen on order by the supervisory authority to provide a sampling plan for investigating potential contamination at a closed down industrial site.
Clients from a variety of industries including the construction, real estate and transport sectors are advised by Advokatfirman Delphi’s environment practice on permit applications including water and harbour operations, remediation of contaminated land issues, environmental responsibility compliance and environmental aspects of property acquisitions. The Malmö-based team, which is jointly led by Erica Nobel, Christian Härdgård and Oskar Frankki, routinely represents clients before the Land and Environment Court in environmental liability cases.
‘Highly client oriented and very loyal.‘
‘Christian Härdgård and Erica Nobel deliver outstanding services.‘
HSB Skåne ek för
Oresund Heavy Industries AB
O1 Real Estate AB
Norra Staden Fastighetsutveckling i Norrköping AB
Nordic Storage AB
Scandinavian Tank Storage AB
Öresundskraft Kraft och Värme AB
Copenhagen Malmö Port AB
- Acting for Swerock in a major case regarding an environmental permit for the new Kvarnnibble quarry before the Land and Environmental Court.
- Advising Norrköping Municipality and the Harbour of Norrköping on several applications for environmental permits regarding water undertakings and environmental hazardous activities.
- Assisting the city of Ystad and Ystad Harbour with the application for new environmental permits regarding both water and harbour activities in the southern Swedish city of Ystad.
Foyen Advokatfirma’s energy practice has a strong list of international mining clients, which practice head Pia Pehrson and senior associate Caterina Carreman advise on early stage impact assessments, due diligence investigations, planning and exploitation negotiations, and all other aspects of the permit negotiation process. The team provides continual support on regulatory developments pertaining to water laws and environmental impact assessments. Recent contentious mandates include acting in permit disputes before the Land and Environment Court of Appeal.
‘Strong knowledge of legislation and case law.‘
‘Pia Pehrson is organised, professional, and direct.‘
Ellevio (former Fortum Distribution)
Tekniska Verken i Kiruna
- Assisting Dragon Mining with permit applications under the Environmental Code for an underground gold mine.
- Assisting Mandalay Resources with the assignment of exploration permits and exploitation concessions under the Minerals Act.
- Advised Oz Minerals on a potential joint venture regarding the purchase of exploration permits in the Municipality of Kiruna.
Malin Wikström and Maria Paijkull jointly lead Front Advokater’s Gothenburg-based environment practice, which advises on environmental responsibility and contaminated land investigations, permit applications and acts in appeals before the Land and Environment Court. The team is particularly active advising municipalities, airports and transport companies. Camilla Wikland is a specialist in indigenous law and is representing Sami villages in damages claims under the Swedish Environmental Code.
‘A personal firm with warm, accessible staff. Always fast to respond when seeking contact and when questions are asked. Very up to date concerning environmental laws and the latest court cases. Quickly provides our projects with the right competence and adequate resources.‘
‘Maria Paijkull quickly grasps the issues and quickly identifies critical aspects and the need for further investigations or clarifications. She is transparent, tactical and adaptive to different situations and clients. Her warm personality works well both with clients and adverse parties.‘
The municipality of Östhammar
The City of Gothenburg
Renova Miljö AB
Swedish Transport Administration
The municipality of Uddevalla
Port of Gothenburg
Municipality of Kungsbacka
Älvstranden Utveckling AB
- Legal counsel to the City of Gothenburg regarding an environmental permit for the construction of approximately 500 new homes as part of Gothenburg’s urban redevelopment project.
- Representing the municipality of Östhammar in a matter concerning the its veto rights for a planned final deposit for spent nuclear fuel in the city of Forsmark.
- Assisting Renova Miljö with a new environmental permit for the waste facility in Tagene.
Recent mandates for environmental practice head Christina Rydell Ahlström and Magdalena Persson at MAQS Advokatbyrå include liability assessments relating to contaminated land, licensing applications for water and hydropower operations and environmental due diligence investigations. The team regularly acts in disputes relating to contentious liability issues and operation permits. Clients include energy suppliers, public bodies (including the Civil Fire Protection Agency), municipalities and food and beverage companies.
‘I engaged Christina Rydell Ahlström in an arbitration case and I was very impressed and happy in engaging her. It was obvious that her knowledge within the field is profound and she could quickly grasp the relevant questions. She rendered both memos and answers in a speedy manner and her advice was clear and well founded.‘
‘Very knowledgeable and very interested in listening and caring about the case.‘
‘Magdalena Persson stands out particularly. Her broad competence binds together with care for the customer building a trust which has been key to us.‘
‘I appreciate Christina Rydell Ahlström’s pragmatic approach, her competence within the area and her approachability & service mindedness.‘
Lilla Harrie Valskvarn AB
Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg
Serneke Fastighet AB
- Advising Ale Municipality on the liability for contaminated land within the former industrial area of Älvängen.
- Representing Lilla Harrie Valskvarn in court proceedings concerning an environmental permit for water power activities.
- Representing Räddningstjänsten i Storgöteborg (the Civil Fire Protection Agency) in a matter concerning contaminated land. Work includes an assessment of liability for the contamination from regulatory and civil right perspectives.
Setterwalls regularly handles large-scale environmental law matters, and group co-heads Tove Andersson and Anders Linnerborg recently acted in permit trials in the Environmental and Supreme Courts concerning mining, recycling and wind power operations. The team also advises on matters pertaining to land contamination, environmental issues in commercial contract negotiations, M&A-related due diligence and liability litigation. The client base comprises major domestic and international industrial clients.
‘The team is highly professional and always very well connected with each other.‘
‘The team’s strengths are its flexibility, rapidity and confidence in the work and feedback. In my experience, the team has taken every question with great seriousness and engagement no matter how specific or difficult it is.‘
‘Professionalism and a deep understanding of the processes, twists and turns in Swedish legislation. Their approach is always of the highest standard.‘
‘Good knowledge and a practical way of working.‘
‘Strong commitment toward clients’ needs and a proactive approach to finding solutions.‘
‘Tove Andersson is a very competent and proficient person. She pays great attention when presented with different problems and related questions. The feedback received is admirable as it gives a new perspective on the subject and relevant suggestions for solving the problems she has been presented with. Tove has behaved professionally and with desirable commitment throughout the entire work process. She has always been easy to reach and quick to respond.‘
‘Excellent knowledge and understanding of the complex issues of the Swedish Environmental Code.‘
‘Linnea Ljung is driven, hands on, experienced and has the ability to drive big processes and projects forward in tight schedules. She has a great service mind, professionalism and integrity.‘
‘Tove Andersson and Anders Linnerborg have great knowledge in their fields of expertise and both are very professional.‘
‘We work with Tove Andersson and are very satisfied with her capability. She is effective and doesn’t waste any of our time in the process. She is always on top of her game and spot on with her advice to us.‘
‘Tove Andersson is an expert in legal issues concerning our market.‘
‘Tove Andersson is committed, knowledgeable and delivers a professional result while creating good customer relations.‘
Borås Energi och Miljö AB
Stena Renewable AB
Svenska Kaolin AB
Skanska Öresund AB
Befesa Scandust AB
- Acting for Befesa Scandust in its permit trial in the Environmental Court relating to its entire recycling operation in Sweden.
- Assisting Borås Energi & Miljö with regulatory issues related to a multi-disciplinary operation with a total value of €400m.
- Assisting AB Sydsten with its permit application in the Environmental Court regarding the extraction of 45 million tons of rock.
Alrutz' Advokatbyrå AB
Environmental law boutique Alrutz' Advokatbyrå AB primarily advises on the permit process and regulatory issues surrounding water rights, environmentally hazardous operations and mining matters; the group also handles environmental assessments of contaminated land. The key contacts are Louis Vasseur, Thomas Carlberg, Mats Björk and Susanne Witt-Strömer.
Advokatfirman Lindahl KB ’s environment team frequently appears before the Land and Environment Court acting for municipalities, utilities companies, industrial companies and clients in the renewable energy sectors. Typical instructions cover contaminated land issues, permit disputes and damages compensation. Malmö-based practice head Mikael Wärnsby often conducts environmental due diligence and risk assessments related to M&A transactions.
‘The Lindahl team has, during a long period of time, helped us through several complicated cases and helped us to win many of them in court. They have always been exceptionally skilled and almost every time able to give us qualified help with short anticipation. Highly recommended!‘
‘Excellent specialist skills regarding environmental issues associated with the expansion of our port and different environmental permits. Flexible and good communicators.‘
‘The Lindahl team sees our needs and understands our problems immediately. It must also be mentioned that they have a very nice attitude and are easy to contact.‘
Baltic Cable AB
Eolus Vind AB
Municipality of Halmstad
Municipality of Vellinge
Trellerborgs Hamn AB
- Representing the municipality of Halmstad before the Land and Environmental Court in claims for damages based on alleged restrictions in land use due to water protection areas.
- Advising Vellinge Municipality on a major project regarding the licensing of water operations for embankments at Falsterbonäset aimed at prevention against rising sea levels.
- Acting for the municipality of Tanum in an ongoing court case at the Land and Environmental Court regarding claims for contaminated land.
Mårten Tagaeus, who heads up Magnusson Advokatbyrå’s environment practice, advises construction companies, recycling facilities and municipalities on environmental permit applications for hazardous activities, water emissions issues, waste disposal operations and landfill site mandates. The team also represents real estate and construction clients in permit disputes before the Land and Environmental Court, and handles risk assessments and environmental due diligence issues arising from the firm's wider corporate transactions.
RGS Nordic AB
Municipality of Jönköping
The Swedish Energy Agency
Göteborgs Stad (the Municipality of Gothenburg)
- Assisting the municipality of Jönköping with a permit application for the municipality’s sewage treatment plant.
- Assisting ViaVest with a permit for a planned landfill for more than two million tons of inert waste.
- Advising RGS Nordic on the expansion of an existing waste disposal plant.