Aviation specialist Augusta Abogados counts major airlines such as Ryanair and Vueling among its clients. The 'professional and friendly' team advises on aircraft sale, lease and financing transactions and the repossession of aircraft in insolvency situations. Sergi Gimenez Binder, who has experience in deals involving commercial aircraft in Spain, and Jaime Fernández Cortés, who specialises in air passenger claims, lead the practice. The team was also bolstered by the arrival of David Castaño from Vueling Airlines to lead the aviation department in Madrid. In addition, the firm recently expanded its practice to include advising on drones.
Transport: Other transport in Spain
‘Very professional and friendly. Excellent approach to how the cases are handled. Always helpful in replying to any queries raised or preparing drafts. No problems at all while working with them. The whole team is of a very high standard. I would like to mention Jaime Cortez and Manuel Gallego in particular.’
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Thomas Cooks Airlines
- Acting for Ryanair in numerous consumer claims for breach of EU Regulation 261.
- Advising Vueling Airlines on its fleet expansion through the acquisition or leasing of new A320/A321 aircraft.
- Acting for Norwegian Air Shuttle in numerous consumer claims for breach of EU Regulation 261.
Ashurst LLP's transport team advises on high-profile infrastructure transactions for rail, air and road transport companies. The practice is experienced in multi-jurisdictional matters, such as advising a British firm on road development in Spain and acting as counsel for a Spanish firm in relation to work in Australia and Wales. Manuel López, who specialises in infrastructure-related matters and is praised for his 'great knowledge of the case' and 'thorough analysis of the issues', leads the team.
‘Perfect knowledge of the case. Able to negotiate with the advisers of the opposite party. Ashurst is perfectly and favourably comparable with other offices in Spain and Europe.’
‘Manuel Lopez has a great knowledge of the case, makes a thorough analysis of the issues and correctly negotiates on our behalf with the adviser of the opposing party.’
- Advising John Laing on its consortium with Acciona in connection with the Spanish government’s ‘Extraordinary Road Investment Plan’ (PIC).
- Acted as Spanish counsel to Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles for the purposes of issuing a legal opinion to Transport for New South Wales.
- Acted as Spanish counsel to Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles for the purposes of issuing a legal opinion to the Welsh government regarding the funding for a locomotive manufacturing facility.
Cuatrecasas' large, multi-region team handles a diverse range of matters, including advising on new transport platforms such as private hire driver licensed (VTC) vehicles and electric scooter rentals. Jorge Botella and Andrew Ward head the Madrid practice, with Juan Carlos Hernanz and Irene Moreno-Tapias leading the Barcelona team. Clients include freight, passenger and air transport firms, as well as public companies. In the past year, the firm has advised clients including SNCF and Bergé on high-profile joint ventures.
Transports Metropolitans De Barcelona
- Advising on Bergé’s joint venture with Gefco to create Bergé Gefco and on its notification to the European Commission of its plan to collaborate with Gefco España to integrate their vehicle logistics businesses.
- Advising Ferrocarril Metropolità De Barcelona on an ongoing basis on labour matters, including negotiating collective bargaining agreements and developing software based on the current regulations to set up an internal advisory system.
- Advising Swissport on its appeal against the awarding of the bid for handling services in the Aena airport network in the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo specialises in aviation finance and the automotive sector. The firm advises major Spanish airlines, credit institutions and lessors, as well as car manufacturers and distributors. Key areas of expertise include mobility services, rental operations, connectivity for vehicles and digital sales. The team is headed by Fernando Herrero, who specialises in asset finance for vessels and aircraft; Ainara Rentería, who has expertise in the automotive industry; and Irene Fernández Puyol, whose specialist areas include mobility services.
‘Gomez-Acebo has created an automotive practice that is unique among law firms in Spain. Their specialisation is the automotive field, giving them a high level of knowledge’
‘Gomez Acebo & Pombo (GAP) has a team dedicated to automotive matters. This really makes the difference. They provide a high-quality service for a reasonable price. They stick to quotes, which makes our life much easier afterwards.’
‘Gomez Acebo & Pombo is a very well-known law firm, with broad experience in many sectors, including the automotive industry.’
‘Certainly one of the go-to firms in Spain for aviation finance.’
Export Development Canada (EDC)
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Chorus Aviation Inc. (CHR)
HEH Hamburger EmissionsHaus GmbH & Cie. KG
SDH Wings International Leasing Limited
Standard Chartered Bank
Pembroke Capital Limited
Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank Limited (London Branch)
Goshawk Aviation Limited
Fuyo General Lease Co., Ltd.
BBAM Aircraft Leasing & Management
Iberia, Líneas Aéreas de España, S.A. Operadora.
Vueling Airlines, S.A.
MUFG Bank, Ltd.
Automotive & Industrial Systems, a division of Panasonic Corporation
Hyundai Motor España
Yuncar Motor, S.L.
Moove Cars Group/King Street
Fiat Chrysler Spain
- Advised Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (London Branch) on the Spanish law issues related to the JOLCO (Japanese operating lease with a call option) compatible finance of two aircraft leased to Iberia.
- Advised Pembroke Aircraft Leasing 10 on a framework agreement and lease agreements entered into with Vueling Airlines in respect of three aircraft.
- Advised King Street on the acquisition of Ares Capital and a 70% interest in Moove Cars Sustainable Transport.
Rogers & Co. Abogados
'Professional' and 'approachable' boutique firm Rogers & Co. Abogados specialises in shipping, transport and insurance. The bulk of the firm's work is for local and international insurers, but clients also include freight forwarders, air charterers and road carriers. Practice head Luis Alberto García's focus on the transport sector encompasses a range of expertise in litigation, such as claims for damage to cargo and flight cancellation claims, the drafting of contracts and administrative applications.
‘Marie Rogers and her team do a lot of work for Dutch clients, mainly in road transport cases. They are experienced in litigation as well as advisory work. They are always fast, and the quality is great. On top of that, they are very nice to work with. Marie and the team are more than fluent in English. They have loads of experience with the CMR Convention and related work. Fees are very reasonable. Our clients are happy with their advice.’
‘As a company, we find Rogers & Co to be very professional and also approachable. We are able to call them at any time to run through an issue without the need to officially appoint them on a case. They are happy to give advice and impart their knowledge of insurance and the transport industry in Spain and they are our go-to company in Spain. In cases where we have appointed them, we find they provide useful updates and do not enter into unnecessary correspondence.’
‘Marie Rogers and Luis Alberto Garcia Villar are very knowledgeable in CMR Convention and road carriage matters.’
‘They give us original and new legal points of view to manage cases and new ways to successfully reach our goals. They don’t just stick to the conventional formulas. Good knowledge of the sector. Original points of view on cases. Continuous feedback. Full view of the case.’
‘Excellent response times, and knowledgeable, pragmatic advice – specifically from Luis Albert Garcia.’
‘The team was available and the advice provided very clear. The deadlines were fully respected.’
‘Luis Alberto Garcia was my main point of contact within the law firm. The working relationship was very pleasant, his advice very clear, and he was fully available for any additional questions.’
AIG Europe SA
Tokio Marine HCC
Chubb European Group Ltd
QBE Insurance (Europe) Ltd
Tokio Marine Kiln
Post & Co (Belgium) BVBA
Dutch P& I
Concordia de Keizer Risk Management
Air Charterers Service
Transportes Especiales y Quimicos
- Defending Air Charter Service in litigation against another air charterer regarding payment of commission for a cancelled charter.
- Representing Reale Seguros Generales’ insurers in a claim against secured parking zone operators relating to a theft.
- Advising Transportes Especiales y Quimicos in litigation brought by the carrier regarding damage by cargo to the carrier’s tanks.
Ruiz-Gálvez Abogados SLP
Ruiz-Gálvez Abogados SLP specialises in maritime law, but also has experience advising on land and aviation transport. Key areas of work include advising carriers and insurance companies on claims for damages to cargo or passengers, logistics matters, and contracts between transport agents. Fernando Ruiz-Galvez and Leticia Ruiz-Galvez Juzgado are key contacts.
Uría Menéndez's practice advises on shipping, aviation, rail, urban mobility and logistics matters, and is noted for its broad client list of road carriers, airlines, freight forwarders, and energy, tech and insurance companies. The team advises on leasing contracts, aviation finance and the use of digital transport platforms and apps. Practice head Carlos López-Quiroga handles M&A transactions and litigation in the transport sector, and associate Sofía Rodríguez Torres advises transport clients on regulatory and general corporate matters.
‘Uría Menéndez has a team of great experience and knowledge that allows the firm to achieve the desired objectives with a high level of legal assistance. Carlos Lopez-Quiroga and his team have experience and training that allows them to develop projects with an extraordinary level of quality. Maximum availability to any need, offering optimal results for the customer.’
Cosco Shipping Ports (Spain) Holding, Sociedad Limitada
Cruceros de Málaga, S.A.
Europac Papeles y Cartones de Europa, S.L
Creuers del Port de Barcelona S.A.
Marina Barcelona 92
The Export Import Bank of China
DVB Bank SE
Banco Santander, S.A.
Banco de Sabadell, S.A.
Astilleros Canarios, S.A.
Impala Terminals Huelva, S.L.
SNFC and its Spanish subsidiary Rielsfera
- Advised on the launch and development of a digital platform for Ferrovial.
With particular strength in aviation finance, Ventura Garcés & López-Ibor has a wide-ranging client list including international aircraft lessors, financiers and airlines. The team has experience advising on lease agreements, domestic and international commercial agreements, and aircraft registration issues. The team is led by newly promoted partner Pablo Stöger, who advises on the sale, purchase and financing of aircraft, as well as permits and licensing matters, and aviation specialist Alfonso López-Ibor, who is 'an outstanding lawyer'. Since publication, the firm has split with the Madrid and Valencia offices now operating as López-Ibor Abogados and the Barcelona office as Ventura Garcés.
‘Ventura Garces cut through all the detail and just give you the information you need. Oftentimes, local counsels insist on telling you everything they know about a topic and you have to dig to find the answer you need, or worse, they just send you links to their laws. All local counsels could learn from Ventura Garces.’
‘Alfonso Lopez-Ibor is an outstanding lawyer and gives clear advice which is easy to follow. He is very quick to respond to queries and doesn’t just answer the question posed but goes further and explains any associated risks, issues and topics.’
‘They are helpful and are willing to answer in-depth follow-up questions from clients about legal issues. Practical and are willing to help clients meet their internal requirements.’
BBAM US LP (BBAM)
SMBC Aviation Capital (SMBC)
China Aircraft Leasing Company Limited (CALC)
Goshawk Aviation Limited (Goshawk)
General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS)
Orix Aviation Systems Limited (ORIX)
Castlelake, L.P. (Castlelake)
ICBC International Leasing Company Ltd
Aircastle Advisor LLC (Aircastle)
Jet2.com Limited/Dart Group plc
Aviator Capital Limited
Milestone Aviation Group Limited (Milestone)
- Advised China Aircraft Leasing Company on the substitution of its previous financing bank with a new bank, Crédit Agricole.
- Advised ICBC International Leasing on the financing of pre-delivery payments and back-to-back aircraft leasing of six Boeing 737 – 8 MAX aircraft to be operated by Air Europa.
- Advising Gecas/Orix on the financing of two Airbus A320 aircraft on lease to Vueling, including tax registration issues.
In addition to its expertise in shipping law, Aiyon Abogados SLP advises on national and international aviation and land transportation issues, including insurance claims for damages to cargo, aircraft leases and air charter contracts, and competition issues in the transport sector. With offices in Madrid, Cádiz, Bilbao and Algeciras, the team is able to advise clients across Spain. Key contacts include Enrique Ortiz, Mikel Garteizgoxeaskoa and Zuberoa Elorriaga.
‘They are aware of all current needs regarding legal issues that may exist in the transport and foreign trade business. They have full availability over 24 hours, and their answers are fast and adjusted to our needs.’
‘The team is highly motivated, having the opportunity to manage the office the way they believe is best, after years spent by each of the partners in their areas of experience. A major strength is the fact that each partner knows very well each other’s strong points which allows them to give the case to the most suitable partner.’
Specialising in aviation and rail transport, Watson Farley & Williams LLP has particular expertise in helicopter transactions, with recent highlights including advising on the complex sale of Waypoint Leasing's portfolio. Clients include banks and lessors, which the team advises on aircraft financings and operating leases, as well as on light rail and metro matters. Alfredo Cabellos, who specialises in aviation and rail finance, heads the team.
Waypoint Leasing (Ireland) Limited
Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing Holdings Limited
Avolon Aerospace Leasing Limited
- Advised Waypoint Leasing group on the sale of its helicopter portfolio registered in Spain to Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing Holdings and TVPX Aircraft Solutions.
- Advised Macquarie Rotorcraft Leasing Holdings on its operations in Spain in relation to its helicopter portfolio.
- Advised Global Jet Capital on Spanish law in relation to the expansion of its activities into the Spanish aviation market.